Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda CX-7 Check Engine Light

Comments

• carlitos92carlitos92 Member Posts: 458
    I replied in more detail where you posted this the second time.

But basically, Mazda's message is a non-committal waste of space. Read your manual. Plenty (if not all) synthetic oils meet Mazda's requirements just fine.

-c92
  • defreitasmdefreitasm Member Posts: 152
    "Well, sorry about that. Maybe you should try to make your points better in future:

Maybe you should go back and read it again because I wrote it so simple that even you should be able to get it... just read slower.

I defy you to show me a car you owned where the dashboard told you the any error codes (and I don't mean an "oil pressure idiot light" and then told you how to fix it. If you want to continue your hobby of working n cars, yes you will be clueless without the right tools. That doesn't make it a secret.

I suggest you should do your homework prior to trying to put forth a challenge and defying people. On example is the 89 Plymouth Reliant that I inherted from my father. It displayed error codes by blinking a series of lights right on the dash. It wasn't in the owners manual, and there was a secret to retrieving the code but the secret got around. You then had to look up the code in a service book, but that was easy. Chrysler wasn't the only one and with todays technology, they could just simply display the error code or even what the problem is in english. That doesn't mean it will get every problem correct because obviously there are differnt conditions that generate the same code and sometimes trouble shooting is still required, but it's a starting point.
    Anyone who thinks that it is a bad idea, feel free to pass judgement. I know for certain that people are getting robbed daily by having to bring their cars in to a dealer or repair shop because they don't know why the CEL comes on and often get taken advantage of. Some of them getting ripped off because they or their spouse simply forgot to tighten the gas cap securely. Sure the diagnostic tools are available and the manuals, but not everyone is up to the task.

As for idiot lights, the check engine light is the biggest idiot light of all because by design it makes an idiot out of everyone. Think about it... they call it a check engine light but 90 percent of the time it lights up for something other than an engine malfunction. Let's call it what it is... It's a "Check with Dealer to See Why Lights On Light". Just pray he knows what he's doing and you are lucky enough to have a reputable dealer. Of course this generally an issue out of warranty.
    Tonight was the second consecutive time that I was able to turn off the CEL light simply by gassing up. The second time it came on after apx. 60 miles after gassing up. I'm almost positive I have the newer cap because of my VIN number. I'm thinking there is an issue in the fill tube that's causing the hiccup, but it's just a guess. I'll let the dealer wrestle with it next week and hopefully they might address some other bulletins.

Maybe it's a super early low gas warning feature that they left out of the manual. I don't know why it didn't work the first 1800 miles, but maybe it's a break-in period
    If you go to WWW.Mazdausa.com and register your CX7 you can check to see if there are any recalls or campaigns on your car. I did and the 2007 CX7 has a recall on Fuel caps, due to Engine lights coming on in many new CX7's. you can find out more if you go there.

Mine is not listed with this problem but I believe my VIN is high enough to where it was supposedly corrected.
  • cxrabbitcxrabbit Member Posts: 134
    I know for certain that people are getting robbed daily by having to bring their cars in to a dealer or repair shop because they don't know why the CEL comes on and often get taken advantage of. Some of them getting ripped off because they or their spouse simply forgot to tighten the gas cap securely. Sure the diagnostic tools are available and the manuals, but not everyone is up to the task.

How do you figure?
    NO ONE HERE is getting robbed daily. They might be getting inconvenienced by having to go to the dealer but anyone bringing the CX-7 in for CELs is having the work covered under warranty.

Your point is taken, but VERY few people are like you where they want to see the code, know what the problem is, figure it out, and take the time to research how much it costs to fix. While I know people get taken advantage of by mechanics and dealerships, I don't think that will stop by displaying codes. Plus, as others have already told you, go buy an aftermarket code reader/trip computer for $60.
  • vbbuiltvbbuilt Member Posts: 498
    Mr. Defreitasm,

I get the impression that you're pretty good with cars and know about those codes, right? Are the codes for the CX-7 readily available somewhere? If so, can you point us in the right direction? I recently had P2006. I'd like to know what that one is.

You also mentioned that a lot of us are getting robbed and ripped off... Can you tell us how to avoid that in the future? I'd like to some real-world advice that'll help me become a smart consumer.

Thanks, Vince. :)
    "How do you figure?
    NO ONE HERE is getting robbed daily. They might be getting inconvenienced by having to go to the dealer but anyone bringing the CX-7 in for CELs is having the work covered under warranty."

I didn't say anyone here is getting robbed daily... I'm talking about in general and throughout the industry.

Your point is taken, but VERY few people are like you where they want to see the code, know what the problem is, figure it out, and take the time to research how much it costs to fix.

With all due respect, how do you know how many people are like me?

While I know people get taken advantage of by mechanics and dealerships, I don't think that will stop by displaying codes. Plus, as others have already told you, go buy an aftermarket code reader/trip computer for $60.

It may not stop people from getting ripped off completly, but it will help. I don't understand why a few of you object to an idea that makes sense. Eliminate a light that tells you aboulutely nothing and replace it with a display that at least give you a clus as to what is wrong with your car. I don't have a problem spending the $60 and doing my own diagnostics, but many people might and my idea eliminates the need to do that for everyone. My idea has no negative impacts and would cost little to include into the vehicles. If you don't like my idea, that's OK too. It's no as if I can force anyone to see the forrest through the trees.

Anyway I'm done with this topic.
    "It wasn't in the owners manual, and there was a secret to retrieving the code but the secret got around."

I've had cars that transmitted the error codes that way. I really don't see the difference. By your own admission, it was just as secretive then as it is now - except now, the "secret" that is getting around is that there's a relatively inexpensive tool that will pull up the codes. I pity the guy that would have to cross a jumper and get one of the thousands of current codes from a flashing light on the dashboard.

In my book, the same people who were "up to the task" of pulling codes from an '89 Plymouth are the same people who should be able to get OBDII info out of their modeern-day cars.

Good luck.
    Mr. Defreitasm,

I get the impression that you're pretty good with cars and know about those codes, right? Are the codes for the CX-7 readily available somewhere? If so, can you point us in the right direction? I recently had P2006. I'd like to know what that one is.

I'm pretty good with cars, computers and many things but I don't have a source yet for the codes on a CX7. I've only had the car a little over a month and I had no intention of needing them because I wasn't aware that there were so many CEL issues. I would imagine it is available in the CX7 shop manual, but I don't know for sure because I haven't checked it out.

You also mentioned that a lot of us are getting robbed and ripped off... Can you tell us how to avoid that in the future? I'd like to some real-world advice that'll help me become a smart consumer.

The best way I know to avoid that is to be armed with as much knowledge as you can before you go to the repair shop the knowledge. That is why I feel it is important to know as much about what is wrong with your vehicle up front instead of relying on a mechanic or a service advisor to always tell you what is wrong with your car. I would love to give you plenty of real world advise but I can't spell it all out here and it would certainly take the thread way off topic. I will however share some advice in general that you may or may not already know.

Car dealers and repair shops are in it to make a profit and rightly so, but as we know there are some that are just plain unscrupulous. Part of the problem is the system that is in place at the dealerships. There is little profit in warranty work and the salary structure of most service writers is that they get paid a commission on any non-warranty work that they can sell you while your car is in the shop. Just keep that in mind the next time you leave your car for general service or even for a warranty visit. I've often gotten calls while my car has been in for service to tell me they noticed a noise or that I needed something replaced based on a schedule or that my brake pads are low recommended that I have my pads replaced and or rotors cut very prematurely. I've learned to say no thanks, I'll take care of it myself and then check it myself or bringing it to get a second opinion depending on whether or not it is something I can fix myself. I'm not saying all shops operate this way and there are times when you might need the recommended work, but don't always take the word of a service advisor as gospel when it comes to needing repairs. They get paid based on how much cash business they write. there's a reason for that and it's not in the best interests of the consumer.
    If there is something more specific you need to know, feel free to ask.
    "It wasn't in the owners manual, and there was a secret to retrieving the code but the secret got around."

I've had cars that transmitted the error codes that way. I really don't see the difference. By your own admission, it was just as secretive then as it is now - except now, the "secret" that is getting around is that there's a relatively inexpensive tool that will pull up the codes. I pity the guy that would have to cross a jumper and get one of the thousands of current codes from a flashing light on the dashboard.

I did not say they were less secretive back then, I said the technology has been availble for quite some time. Stop putting woirds in my mouth.
    You really need to do your research and I'm surprised with all your self-touted experiance that you are not aware that that no jumper wire was required on Chrysler cars... You just had to turn the ignition key several times and then leave it in the on position. I could get a monkey to do that.

In my book, the same people who were "up to the task" of pulling codes from an '89 Plymouth are the same people who should be able to get OBDII info out of their modeern-day cars.

I'm not sure why you care so much about who would or would not be up to the task. I'm just suggesting that the industry level the playing field a bit so that less people get ripped off. I can live with the fact that: at this point in time if I really want to know what's going on with my car, I can buy a diagnostic tool and a shop manual.

In my book, the only people that should oppose a better, consumer friendly diagnostic system should be people that are in the business of trying to take advantage of the average consumer. Just because you and a few others can't see the benefit to knowing a little more about their cars doesn't mean that a benefit doesn't exist. If it cost a little more to provide a better system so what?

All in all things are pretty good with the CX7. I'm happy with my purchase and things could certainly be a lot worse than a CEL light here and there as well, as well some missing nice to have features. I could have bought my turbo-charged CX7 thinking I was getting an SUV that would actually live up to the EPA rated mileage and then blame everyone but myself. Thank heavens I knew better.
  • ssteigssssteigss Member Posts: 40
    P2006 means that the IMRC valve isn't functioning properly. This is a problem with just about all CX-7's. The solution is for the dealer to take it apart elongate some holes and remount the part. I had this procedure done and my CEL came back on 2 weeks later for the same thing. I just had a new redesigned part put on yesterday. I think the part is on back order so Mazda is trying to fix the existing part until they can get a supply. My car also seems to drive better at low speed then it did before. Not as much lag or that rubber band effect when starting from a stop.
    "you are not aware that that no jumper wire was required on Chrysler cars..."

I didn't mention Chrysler in my statement. In my 1984 car you had to put a jumper in a plug under the dashboard. "Your results may vary." FWIW, I could get a monkey to plug in a scanner and pull my CX-7 codes, so to each his own.

"I'm just suggesting that the industry level the playing field a bit so that less people get ripped off. I can live with the fact that: at this point in time if I really want to know what's going on with my car, I can buy a diagnostic tool and a shop manual."

If you really can live with it, I'm not sure why we are even arguing. The playing field is just as level as it ever was, and I don't see the problem, unless we've gotten more lazy as a society. Via simple tools, online research, and Mazda publications, you and I can find out all we need to know about our cars, and there is no profit-driven conpiracy preventing that. Except maybe the fact that we are spending too much time posting back-and-forth.
  • rmtiirmtii Member Posts: 1
    Also had my 3 month old CX-7 serviced yesterday. They replaced the gas cap with no questions due to recall. Also, there is a known issue with something called an IMRC valve, which actually requires them to elongnate the hole the valve goes into, creating more of an oval shape. Tech said they were automatically doing these two fixes for anyone coming in with CEL issue that was not explained by other codes.
    Go check... I think your CEL has detected a major malfunction. :sick:
    Almost 3000 miles since my last CEL! Knock on wood, stay away from black cats, I won't walk under a ladder, and keep Republicans out of power! (oops, didn't want to bring politics into this forum) But hey, wanna keep anything that brings bad-luck away from me! :P

Vince.
  • wjbushsrwjbushsr Member Posts: 135
    FWIW, I could get a monkey to plug in a scanner and pull my CX-7 codes, so to each his own.

ROFLMAO!!! :P
    It may not stop people from getting ripped off completly, but it will help. I don't understand why a few of you object to an idea that makes sense. Eliminate a light that tells you aboulutely nothing and replace it with a display that at least give you a clus as to what is wrong with your car. I don't have a problem spending the $60 and doing my own diagnostics, but many people might and my idea eliminates the need to do that for everyone. My idea has no negative impacts and would cost little to include into the vehicles. If you don't like my idea, that's OK too. It's no as if I can force anyone to see the forrest through the trees.

No negative impacts? How about you ask a mechanic/technician if it has negative impact, or a service manager.

They already HAVE problems with people like you who come and seem to think they know more about the car than the technicians do, demanding service bulletins be addressed (even if it doesn't apply to their specific car), yelling that their PCM needs to be flashed even though they have none of the issues the update is supposed to address, all because some guy on the web told them they NEEDED it. When people cruise the internet to educate themselves, that's good, but it's bad when that translates into them thinking they alway know more than the guys working on their car. It can (and does) lead to a lot of time wasted, backed up service schedules and unjustified warranty work (where no one gets paid). Walk in and start a conversation with any service manager like this - "I read on the internet..." and you'll immediately see by their reaction that what I'm telling you is true.

Go out on the street and ask anyone if the error code on their car now reads a series of numbers will they take steps to look it up online to see what it means. Some will say "no" and some would PREFER the simple oil light, engine light, brake light method. P5492J means nothing... LESS to the average consumer than "brake light".

And of the people who say "sure, give me the code" -- would they then do FURTHER research to figure out what an INSERT-OBSCURE-PART-HERE is, or would they know what's involved in replacing one? How many of them would know EXACTLY what gets done when they go for schedule maintenance? How long does it take to fix or replace X? How much should it cost? How many different ways can an issue be addressed - does a part need to be replaced or can something else be done? What happens when Internet Joe tells them "don't pay more than $100 for that!" and Internet Joe is barking up the very-wrong tree?

Jeez, even your computer there throws relatively vague errors at you and you have to KNOW how to find out where to get more information on the exact nature of the error. Not every computer has those tools installed or readily at hand. That why places like Best Buy have a busy Geek Squad.

For the technology and mechanically advanced, like you, go spend the $60 and get the code reader. And if you're griping about the price you haven't thought this issue out at all.

And based on looking at car forums and seeing how their traffic PALES in comparison to the traffic on the road, it's OBVIOUS that there aren't a lot of people like you.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I think I'm mostly in agreement with you, but when you say "Walk in and start a conversation with any service manager like this - "I read on the internet..." and you'll immediately see by their reaction that what I'm telling you is true...." You will also find a fair amount of consumers who educated their dealers about service bulletins, etc. When the gas-cap issue first started coming out, many consumers knew about this valid problem before their service departments did. That's the great thing about these forums... I can tell you that the iPod interface is clunky before a lot of dealers even know they can order it, or what trim levels it works with.

As far as the codes, the ones plaguing the CX-7 are really pretty limited so far, and several of us have said what the codes mean, according to www.OBDii.com, etc. The people who don't want to take the time to look them up do so by their own choice. But, every person is free to choose their own level of technical involvement with their car... :) I just don't like complaining about there "being secrets," because there aren't any secrets if you choose not to allow them.
    Hey Carlitos (little charlie ;))

I agree with you as well as I know that *I* have educated my dealer on some things, but it's all in the approach... and I'm betting you know what I mean. I actually don't start with "I read on the internet..." LOL. I'm more knowledgeable than the average person on cars and it usually starts off with me asking more questions than the typical Joe, and it's all very friendly and then leads to "hey, I did hear about..." or "a mechanic I talked to thought..." -- you get the idea.

There ARE too many people, and I see them here and other forums, instructing each other to demand TSBs be addressed (even if that driver wasn't having the problem) or PCM updates be performed. Unless anyone has educated themselves about their OWN car and how PCM updates and TSBs apply to their situation and their VIN number they shouldn't be DEMANDING anything. Ask questions, be pleasant and go in really educated... not just with some snippet off the internet.

Since my last reply I asked at least four of my friends if they would prefer codes or "dummy lights" (which I didn't phrase that way - one of THEM did) and ALL prefered dummy lights. I'm guessing people who even know enough to realize that the computer in a car tosses an alphanumeric-valued code out to help diagnose an issue would ALSO know enough that they can get a code reader if they really want to, or just ASK the technician at the dealership to explain what the code was and what work was done.

I don't think there's a grand conspiracy with car computers any more than there is with home computers and their vague error indicators. Anyone who wishes to seek, can find. It's just the probably 40% don't wish to seek, another 40% become dangerous individuals when they do seek, and the remaining 20% are fairly educated and reasonable in their dealings with the dealership.

My percentages might be off, but I'm giving the reasonable, educated people a higher number than they probably deserve. ;) -- Like I said previous, I think those of us here fall into a very extreme minority compared to the majority of drivers who NEVER seek out info about their cars online (other than price and options when buying).
    You make a lot of unsubstantiated assumptions and foster a lot of hostility towards people who's opinion differ from yours. Also your response simply has no credibilty since you obviously don't care about what repairs cost or how often you get ripped off. The mere fact that your are willing to toss your expensive Tech package out the window and exchange it by spending thousands more simply because it doesn't have a mute button and can't connect your IPOD borders on the insane unless you have money to burn. Obviously that's your choice, but don't pass judgement on the rest of the world that doesn't want to throw their money away. How can enter any discussion like this and attempt to enlighten us when you didn't even have the forethought to try out the radio and discover it didn't have a mute button? Must have been all that Zoom Zoom excitement that overloaded you sensory input. It's just not fair that you pass judgement on others when you obviously have more money than the rest of us or just plain don't care how you spend it. People like you could care less as they walk out of the dealer paying for repairs they don't need. They must love it when you walk in to the dealership.

I just hope you don't cause accidents playing with your IPOD searching for your favorite punk rock. I for one will stay clear of any white CX7s with tinted windows just in case it's you driving the "SUV they never saw coming".

Have a nice day, unless you make other plans! :)
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Some of these tirades are becoming a little too personal. Let's stick to issues and suspend the personal judgments.

tidester, host
    My tech package included things other than the radio... and I've said myself I realize it's excessive but a good audio experience is important to me. And if I decide to rip out the radio it's my mistake to pay for.

My opinion regarding car repairs shares little relevance with my decision on the radio. I DON'T get ripped off going for repairs or pay for things I don't need, and already told you I know more about cars than the average person. I have a good experience at all the dealerships and auto-shops I've been to. I'm a pleasant but educated person, and have respect for technicians and what they do. I grew up around parts guys, mechanics and cars.

And since our host has reminded us to play nice I won't say what I'd really like to you. I bet YOU didn't test your radio for mute and pause because they are such BASIC features most people wouldn't. You assume they're included. I bet YOU didn't test how the random feature works either. Did you bring MP3 CDs with you, because I did. Did you ask Mazda about whether they'd support the iPod in the future. Do you know how many interface cables are available? Do you know how they work? I do. What companies make them? Any idea? I could give you a list.

The only person passing judgement is you. My reply was clear to answer your points, and the fact that the information you so adamently want is available to you for a simple $60 solution. Most people DON'T want it and don't spend time on the internet in car-geek forums like you and I.

And obviously my post contained something that range true to piss you off enough to come out attacking.
  • yellowozzieyellowozzie Member Posts: 13
    Here's the lastest on my third CEL. I've already had the gas cap replaced and the IMRC modification. Turns out the modification had to be...modified. So, the dealer removed the switch and elongated the holes to the new specifications. They also removed the actuator and expanded socket and gave the whole thing a lithium lube (you understand, I'm just quoting from the invoice--I have no idea what I just wrote). Hope this cures what ails my CX-7!
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Well I hope it works for your sake but it looks like many have found that only replacing the IMRC actuator is doing the trick. It looks like Mazda is just buying time to procure enough of those for the masses.
    "...the fact that the information you so adamently want is available to you for a simple $60 solution. Most people DON'T want it and don't spend time on the internet in car-geek forums like you and I."

The problem is that what I want has been misinterpreted several times by a few people. I never suggested that the dashboard display a code in lieu of going out and buying a diagnostic scanner. The technology to display error codes on the dash is old and vehicles have had the ability to display codes since the 80's if you knew how to retrieve them. I stated that the technolgy is there and that cars should display the actual error. In essence a smart idiot light that displys the actual error in english. The way things are now, the CEL comes on for things that are not an engine issue. That is my major objection to CEL light and they seem to keep tacking more things to it. As an example and as many of us here know, many cars today display a check engine light when someone forgets to tighten their gas cap. If the consumer is not aware of this, it generally means a trip to the dealer or repair shop for no reason. In warranty it doesn't sound so bad and many dealers might not charge for the diagnostic as a courtesy, but they can since it is a customer error. Out of warranty you could be charged whatever the basic 1 HR labor rate, assuming you are at reputable dealer and he is honest about what is causing the CEL condition. You are also subject to the inconvenice of bringing it in for service for and or taking time off from work or leaving the vehicle for the day. That is just one example of why we need something better. Basically we need better idiot lights since these days we have better idiots. If a gas cap is lose it should display a Check Gas Cap (CGC) light. That's just one example but there are others. So anyone who thinks my suggestion is a bad idea, shoot me, but I'm done with this topic.
    LOL, I thought we had moved on from this now.

Your idea is fine and all (though I stand by what I said earlier), but unfortunately the system can't detect a loose gas cap... what it detects, I believe, is loss in pressure. That REAL cause of the problem could be different things, one of which, yes, is a loose gas cap, but not always.

So what should the car display then: All the possibilities? Like a CNN News Scroll? Maybe in the future when we all have computer screens in the car as standard that could be a feature to suggest. But right now, I think the gauge cluster is already a bit busy, don't you?

;)

Back to the original topic...

I dropped my car off at the dealer tonight for the CEL that popped on Wednesday night. Car will be there all day tomorrow. Service Manager was great and we both know it's NOT the gas cap so he's pretty sure the code will show it's the IMRC Valve (he says it's becoming a "common" issue). Hopefully will get all fixed tomorrow. Will keep you posted.
  • johnny__rfjohnny__rf Member Posts: 83
    So if it gets diagnosed as the IMRC valve and it gets replaced, can we expect the CEL problem to go away forever?

I've had the gas cap replaced (which apparently did nothing) and I am now driving around with the CEL on full time delaying a trip to the dealer as I don't want to go there 5 times to get the problem fixed......

So are all these other "fixes" unnecessary? Or are there actually 4-5 legit causes of the CEL coming on? I would be amazed that a single car could be afflicted with 5 defects all resulting in the CEL lighting up. If this is really the case, those of us driving around in a CX-7 are in big trouble.........

If I need to visit my dealer more than twice for the CEL, I will pursue legal action to walk away from the current lease.
    That's the 3rd or 4th time you've said "I'm done with this topic." These forums sure are addictive, aren't they? :P

The gas cap issue is a ringer of a situation. It would be tough for OBDII to know where a pressure loss in a sealed system actually is - therefore, there probably would never be a "Gas Cap Warning" possible under the current system. It just so happens that the gas cap is by far the weakest link in the system and most probable issue when a pressure loss is reported by OBDII.

In a most other cases, the OBDII code is so specific (because it's technically possible with those components) that it's not misinterpretable.

FWIW, I don't blame anyone for not wanting to know how to change their oil - but assuming the vehicle manufacturer had a decent design to start with, not knowing how to tighten a gas cap is really inexcusable.
  • astegmanastegman Member Posts: 171
    So if it gets diagnosed as the IMRC valve and it gets replaced, can we expect the CEL problem to go away forever?

For me, no. I had the IMRC valve re-positioned (it was getting stuck, so they took it off and re-attached it in a different manner. It was not replaced). This took away the CEL light for about 3 days or so, until the weather got cold.

Or are there actually 4-5 legit causes of the CEL coming on?
    Again, for me, yes. I've had 3 gas caps put on; had a repair to the purge valve; had a repair to the gas fill neck; and had the IMRC valve worked on. So in my situation, yes, I've had the CEL come on for a variety of reasons! Certainly other drivers might be having a different experience. I live in Connecticut, and I did a very brief check of our lemon laws. On the surface it seems to read that treating the car 4 times for the same thing (over a 2 year period, I think)would fall under the lemon law. Therefore, I can't avail myself of the law as of yet (if I'm reading it correctly).

My CEL's been on full-time for over a week, as our temps have been in the single digits/teens for a while now. I'm simply ignoring it and am pretty sure it'll go out once we get above freezing. That's been the drill so far this winter. Is that acceptable? No. Do I have the time to get to my dealer (who's NOT open on Saturdays)during the week, thereby missing work every single time the CEL goes on? No. Therefore, I'm doing nothing. I'll deal with it at the next oil change.
    Well, if this helps, I've had CEL 4 times.

1. Purge Valve (part #L33L-18-740) at 3063 miles
    2. Gas Cap at 5249 miles
    3. IMRC valve (code p2006) at 11314 miles
    4. Code P2006 IMRC out of adjustment. Reflashed PCM at 12036 miles.

I'm at 15500 miles now and no CEL since the 4th occurrence.

So, knock-on-wood, fingers crossed, I've had all the common CELs and maybe, I won't have another issue for a while? Although, I've had the car since early June 06, I have to admit I'm not that aggravated. In a nine month period, I've only had to visit the service department 4 times (those 4 visits also included oil changes and prescribed maintenance checks).

In my case, considering that this is the first release of a new model, I'm pretty satisfied with the vehicle.

Vince
    astegman, I also live in CT and my dealership in danbury is also not open on Saturday. Plus I work 1/2 hr. away from danbury and then it is another 1/2 from there home. If I had a dealership near work, bringing it in 5 times would not be as big a problem as it is for me......My dealership also mentioned the gas fill neck fix as the next step which may be an absolute waste of time.....The reason I lease is to avoid trips to dealership / repair shops.......
    johnny_rf, I live in Ridgefield, so I'm assuming we are both dealing with Colonial Mazda. I work an hour away from them in the opposite direction (down in Westchester), so it is a major inconvenience to go up to Danbury (20 minutes from home), have the car serviced, and then drive an hour down to my office. Other than not being open on Saturdays, I think they've been great so far. Just FYI, the dealership in Bedford Hills (NY) is open on Saturdays, but just for oil changes - I don't believe they have any mechanics on duty those days. Anyway, I can no longer lease cars because I drive so much and cannot stay within the mileage limits. So I had to buy a car last year when the lease on my last car finished.
    Yes, I also use Colonial. Service manager was great. They were very accommodating for my first visit allowing me to bring the CX-7 in for a 3:15 appointment to do the diagnosis and they had enough time to replace the gas cap while I was there. I was told for the fill neck, I would have to leave the car and get a loaner. Have they been giving you loaners for your visits? I'm assuming they use Enterprise right down the road?
    "That's the 3rd or 4th time you've said "I'm done with this topic." These forums sure are addictive, aren't they?"

I believe I only said that twice, and I mostly keep responding because it seems whatever I say gets misquoted.

I'll make you a deal, don't respond and neither will I. Hopefully you can fight your addiction and won't feel compelled to respond

"The gas cap issue is a ringer of a situation. It would be tough for OBDII to know where a pressure loss in a sealed system actually is - therefore, there probably would never be a "Gas Cap Warning" possible under the current system. It just so happens that the gas cap is by far the weakest link in the system and most probable issue when a pressure loss is reported by OBDII."

While that's obvious and true, if you got a gas cap error due to a loose gas cap or pressure loss, that would be a starting point. If tightening the cap doesn't do it, then the next step would be contact the dealer.

"FWIW, I don't blame anyone for not wanting to know how to change their oil - but assuming the vehicle manufacturer had a decent design to start with, not knowing how to tighten a gas cap is really inexcusable."

It may be inexcusable, but it happens to more people than you realize or might care to admit... and what about those states like New Jersey that insist on pumping your gas for you. Do people always get out of a car to make sure the attendant tightened the cap.

In any event a gas cap is just one example and issue. I still cast my vote for something better than a CEL on my display.

Technology is changing very fast, but in the automotive world some of the technological advances are being hampered by politics and the competitive market. Just think back to every time you exchange a car for a new model at all of the features and technologies that are being incorporated. Some of the changes are not always welcome or what we expect, but that's just the way it is.

That's all for now.... I have "The Last Word" and I ain't giving it up.
    No deal. It IS an addictive forum and I never claimed I was done. :P

"While that's obvious and true, if you got a gas cap error due to a loose gas cap or pressure loss, that would be a starting point. If tightening the cap doesn't do it, then the next step would be contact the dealer."

No, I'm not quoting you when I say this - but it really sounds to me like you want a gas cap warning light that may or may not even represent the actual problem with the car. IMHO, that is not an improvement over the idiot light you have now.

As far as things humans do that I'd rather not admit - there's plenty of Darwin-award-worthy happenings out there every day. Still doesn't mean we should accept it.
    So far, I've waited at Colonial each time and thus haven't needed a loaner. I agree, the manager is great (Jeremey, right?). This is off-topic, but Jeremey's wife works at the Subaru dealer in Brewster, where my husband takes his Forrester. We were there last week to pick up his (my husband's) car after a routine servicing, and Jeremey was there - he recognized me and was very nice.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "a gas cap warning light that may or may not even represent the actual problem with the car"

I think a gas cap warning light would be good - when my car throws off a code, there may be 6 or 8 things to check when you look up the code in the book (and often they want you to check seemingly unrelated systems).

I suppose it's cost prohibitive to have a 1,000 sensors feeding info back to the car's computer but maybe better software will come along that help narrow the codes down some.

The display on my dash should just tell me to go fix the gap on my #6 cylinder sparkplug because the ECU has figured out that the compression is 5% lower on that one and the emissions and O2 sensors correlate the diagnosis. That's not too much to ask is it? ;)

Come to think of it, the ECU should just tell the wiring to that plug to compensate for the out of spec gap.
    "No, I'm not quoting you when I say this - but it really sounds to me like you want a gas cap warning light that may or may not even represent the actual problem with the car. IMHO, that is not an improvement over the idiot light you have now."

Keeping reading and guessing at what I'm saying and someday you may actually get it right... but not today. LOL

"No deal. It IS an addictive forum and I never claimed I was done."

I believe a 12 step program for forum junkies is in order. :shades:
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    In fact steve, you need a Trunk Monkey that will fix your truck at each stop...and beat the cr*p out those that get in your way. ;)

When I think about this discussion, I always come back to the office copy machine. They've gotten much better over the years with scan, fax, binding and printing support, but the only errors you get are: clear a paper jam (like your car telling you to pull a cat out of your fender well) and call Canon for service. I'm a fairly technical and intuitive guy, but I wouldn't go beyond clearing a paper jam or an obvious fix without a full manual and the tools that go along with it. My work chooses to have Canon come out fix them when needed and not a third party. I'm sure they've considered the cost...
  • nmknmk Member Posts: 111
    my CEL went on for the first time this morning. It has been in the teens and twenties for the past week here. :( HMmmm, wonder if it is the temp?

Guess what? Now the CEL has gone off. Temp still in low 20's. :confuse:

Going out to lunch after a mile or two the light went out and has remained out. Does this help anyone to figure out what is happening?

Darth Vader Grey AWD w/Tech Package
    "my CEL went on for the first time this morning. It has been in the teens and twenties for the past week here. HMmmm, wonder if it is the temp?

Guess what? Now the CEL has gone off. Temp still in low 20's.

Going out to lunch after a mile or two the light went out and has remained out. Does this help anyone to figure out what is happening?"

The temperature can affect many things that may help to trigger the CEL, but it is certainly not temperature alone.

When mine first started coming on I could clear it by filling up my gas tank. The first time I did that it lasted about 70 miles, the second time I did that it lasted a little over 100 miles. That is no longer the case. Now there is now rhyme or reason to when it is on or off. Sometimes I get in the vehicle and it is off, but comes on shortly and other times it just stays on.

I notice that many have reported their first CEL happens somewheres in the vicinty of when the vehicle approaches 1800 miles or higher. I figure it might be mileage related. I was thinking of trying to drive backwards for about 2400 miles to see if that clears it. What the hell!!! With the tech package it should be a snap driving through the rear view camera and the mileage in reverse will probably be about the same... if I'm real lucky the mileage will roll back to zero. Besides, think of the how much head snapping fun it will be driving backwards when that turbo boost kicks in. It ought to be a real hoot!

ZOOM :lemon: ZOOM :lemon: Zoom :lemon:

Any thoughts????
    Mine had been intermittent on and off for a week or so and now it is on full time for 3 days.....Sorry to say, I don't believe there is any logic here...........
    "Keeping reading and guessing at what I'm saying and someday you may actually get it right... but not today. LOL "

Au contraire; I'm helping you "practice get your point across." You're getting better every day.

As far as a 12-step program, I would join one in a second if I wasn't already enrolled in 3 others... ;)
    "As far as a 12-step program, I would join one in a second if I wasn't already enrolled in 3 others..."

Now I understand ;)

BTW... Did your CEL (Check Enrollment Light) tell you that?
    "Sorry to say, I don't believe there is any logic here..........."

I've come to that conclusion myself. LOL
    Further to the last two posts, it would appear that there is no logic to the logic of the CEL apperance, disapperance and reapperance of the CEL display. :blush:

Is that true or not? :confuse:

Let's ask Alex Trubeck.

Darth Vader Grey CX-7 GT w/ Tech. Pack
    It may be inexcusable, but it happens to more people than you realize or might care to admit...

So you're saying that the people who don't know enough to check their gas cap are the same people who don't want just a dummy light? LOL - that's seems a bit of a contradiction.

Update on my Recent CEL

I dropped off my CX-7 at the dealer last night for CEL and other issues.

They code they pulled was P2006, meaning the cause it the IMRC (Intake Manifold Runner Control) Valve. There are two ways to go... they can fix it or replace it, but apparently Mazda can't produce them fast enough (I've heard this elsewhere too)... SO, the Service Manager told me that he HAS to do the fix first... Mazda is telling them they cannot replace it unless the fix fails. He said they did the fix and the car is running great - no more codes. They also gave me a new PCM update.

I'm going to pick up the car tonight... I'll be interested to see if the IMRC fix puts me back to the slightly better gas mileage I was getting a few weeks ago.
    So yesterday morning after running errands, my wife says that the CEL light came on during her trip home. :cry:

A few hours later going out to lunch, it came on again after only about 1 mi. but then went off after driving some 10 miles. :confuse:

This evening, when shifting from auto to manual, the CEL appeared again and never shut off before returning home. :(

Has any one bothered to gather data as to under what conditions the CEL appears?

Ambient Temp, Weather conditions, How soon after start up,
    was car warmed up, was it previously driven within the past two hours, etc.

It may help if we can garner this info and present it to Mazda.

Darth Vader Grey AWD GT w/Tech Pack.
    Most common reason is a loose gas cap - check and make sure it's on there good.

OR, you might need a new gas cap - if it applies to your vehicle. CX-7s manufactured in the last 2 months should have the new gas cap already - it'll have light blue threads, I believe, if it's the new one.

Second most common thing (according to my dealer) is the IMRC Valve. Mazda is already aware of the issue and is telling the dealerships to do a fix (not replace).

Either way, bring your car to the dealer and they'll figure out the issue and address it.