Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda CX-7 Check Engine Light

tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
Why is it turning on? What should I do? Discuss it here!

Comments

• wwxmanwwxman Member Posts: 32
    Folks, the check engine light has been coming on in many new cx-7's, mine included. First check the gas cap, but if tightening doesn't work, its probably the leak detection pump sensor. It's a known problem that's been reported to Mazda. My service tech said he had two other fixes yesterday, mine was the third. Although the fix is straightforward (putting in a new sensor) it takes 1 1/2 hours. And, they are forced to do a 1/2 hour inspection to make sure the leak isn't real. I can live with this since the car is so great, but I'll be really pissed if it ends up being a design issue -- that is, not a bad sensor but a good sensor being triggered by something inherent.
  • marleybarrmarleybarr Member Posts: 334
    Could you tell me if the front passenger seat on the CX-7 has any up/down adjustments and if it folds flat (like some models) for carrying long items?

Also, does the back window open independently of the hatch?
  • vbbuiltvbbuilt Member Posts: 498
    Nope, the passenger seat is very basic - no up/down adjustments - the seat back reclines and the whole seat moves forward/backward with a manual release. It does not fold flat, either. Back window is integrated with the hatch - does not open independently.

Those are all good suggestions that Mazda should consider in future releases.

Vince.
  • la4meadla4mead Member Posts: 347
    Does Mazda offer a loaner car while it's in the shop for warrantee repairs, or do you need to get that (and pay for it) on your own?
    That all depends on the dealership. Recommend you call your dealer and inquire.

Vince.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Does Mazda offer a loaner car while it's in the shop for warrantee repairs

If the vehicle has to stay over night for a warranty repair, your entitled to a loaner car.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Does Mazda offer a loaner car while it's in the shop for warrantee repairs, or do you need to get that (and pay for it) on your own?

Yes, it is part of Mazda's warranty. If you are in for warranty repair, you are offered a loaner at no cost.
    Yeah, got an engine check light this last weekend at 3067 miles :(

Was given a loaner car. Dealership fixed the problem that day. Customer Service rep says the valve is the same one used in the Mazda3. When asked how long a purge valve should last, he stated 6 - 7 years. These valves are replaced periodically in Mazda3. If there's a track record, seems Mazda should've re-designed the valves so they don't fail so often.

Vince.
  • aussiedawgaussiedawg Member Posts: 9
    Mine came on at 1000 miles. Dealer replaced the gas cap.
  • wwxmanwwxman Member Posts: 32
    I had the leak detection pump fix already. Fine for about another 1000 miles. Could be the gas cap. If its not, boy oh boy........anyone else have a repeat offender?
  • astegmanastegman Member Posts: 171
    My check engine light came on after 7 days of ownership/about 650 miles of driving (we took the car on vacation 2 days after getting it). I fiddled with the gas cap but to no avail. So, the car's going in for service this Friday. While I'm not surprised - I had to wait 6 weeks to get the car, and read this forum avidly during that time - I am disappointed in a way. However, it sounds like something that's easily fixed, so I'm hoping this will be the end of it.
  • wjbushsrwjbushsr Member Posts: 135
    Hang in there!

Mazda is aware of this problem!

I took my CX into the shop yesterday for the oil change and checkout the engine light, it turns out THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THE GAS CAP! The clicks on the gas cap aren't lining up as needed for some reason, so the techs are cutting a notch on them to allow for the cap to seat. Its a temporary fix, the gas cap replacements are being fabricated and shipped according to the tech who worked on mine.

ALSO the surging is being worked on by Mazda, {6th gear at around 60} seems as though the transmission is looking for the turbo to engage... New automatic for this setup, but it is being looked at and most likely will be a software upgrade in the engine's diagnostics, and that my friends is good news to me! ;)
    Excellent!!! I will be sure to make mention of this when I bring the car in on Friday, to ensure that they try cutting the notch first (assuming that there is truly nothing else wrong!).

Another reason why I'm so glad I check these boards on a regular basis - I am learning all sorts of stuff! Thanks!! :shades:
    Turns out the gas cap was just fine; the problem was a leak in a valve that was throwing off the whole diagnostic system. But it's been taken care of (took less than an hour), and the light is off and stayed off the whole weekend, even after a new tank of gas. The technician said that they're still learning all the time, since the CX-7 is still new.
    Did your technician specify which "valve"? I had the check engine light about 1000 miles ago - turned out to be a faulty purge valve.

Vince.
    Yes, it might have been the purge valve, that sounds about right. What I can't recall is if he specified whether the valve was actually replaced or if the original valve was itself fixed. Either way, I'm just glad it's working! :blush:
  • yellowozzieyellowozzie Member Posts: 13
    About 700 miles and mine went on. Playing around with the gas cap didn't work, so I guess I'll be calling the service department.
  • kinggoopkinggoop Member Posts: 15
    I had the same problem at around 1500 miles. I took it in since I had gotten out of the car and tightened it and it didnt' work. Dealer service guy was a little confused as he hadn't had to fix anything like this yet on the model, but.. he did anyway and said it was the gas cap... I refuse to believe it since I went on a week long trip, came back drove it just fine with no light. Drove it the next day.. .DID NOT FILL IT UP YET and then suddenly it appears. I got out of car, tightened it and the light didn't go away.... so.. who knows? :lemon: :lemon:
  • carlitos92carlitos92 Member Posts: 458
    Had my second CEL come on now at 1400 miles. Both times it has been the gas cap. The dealer (and apparently corporate) line now is that the gas caps work themselves out during normal driving. The dealer mentioned "fixing" existing gas caps by grinding off parts, but they say I am getting a new cap. (But I'm having to leave the car overnight! :mad:)

Interestingly, they say the CEL will go off if you re-tighten the gas cap "and drive around a long time" - but who's going to drive their two-month-old car around with the CEL on for days???
    Well, nine days after the supposed fix, the CEL has come on again. As before, I undid the gas cap and re-closed it tightly, then proceeded to drive 45 minutes on the highway to work. It stayed on, so I made another service appointment. They'd better resolve it once and for all, it's becoming a little stupid at this point. Also, the service department at my dealer is NOT open on Saturday...so I had to make the earliest appointment (8:00 a.m.) for this Friday, and will keep my fingers crossed that I make it to work by 10 (the dealer's about an hour from where I work, and there isn't one any closer).
  • honakerhonaker Member Posts: 74
    That sux. At least I have a dealership near to me that has Saturday hours.

I think Mazda policy is to give a rental if they keep your car overnight, but maybe you can try to get one since they already had it once for this issue, and it recurred.
    Well, don't feel too bad. My CEL came on this last weekend and took it into the shop first thing yesterday morning. Mazda paid for rental car. Got the CX back this afternoon.

Problem was defective Gas Cap - apparently, according to the service advisor, Mazda has re-designed the gas cap for the CX-7 (looks different than the original I had).

So, this makes the 2nd CEL I've had (first one was bad purge valve).

Keep my fingers crossed that I don't have another issue for a while.

Vince.
    Well, I can't say I don't miss my baby... :cry: but I'm trying to look at it as if I'm taking of a tour of the entire Mazda line through my loaners... :) The first time, it was an MPV; this time it's a Mazda3. I'm just waiting for the RX-8 loaner, ha ha...
    Okay - this time, a hose behind where the gas goes in (sorry I don't know the technical name) had come loose. All better now, the CEL is gone. The tech came outside to the car with me and took off the gas cap - he made me re-attach it, twist it so that it clicked "at least 6 times," (his recommendation), and then he made me pull on it to ensure that it was truly in tight. So...let's hope this is it.

I also had them activate the Auto Lock feature. What the heck, I'm sick of getting out of the car and then having to dig out the key thing to lock the car. Might as well just let it lock itself! :)
  • billvackbillvack Member Posts: 11
    CEL light on today at 2927 miles.
    Called dealer - same response -
    He said with the car off - take off the gas cap - put it back on
    drive it for 4-5 days - if the CEL is still on call us for appt.
    I wanted to make one then - he said that it wasn't necessary and that this will probably take care of the problem
    Bill
    Don't be so certain about that. My earlier post reported a defective gas cap. Mazda has come out with a re-designed cap for the CX7. I'd insist on it, if I were you.

Vince.
    I hope you have the luxury of having another dealer somewhere around you. For your current shop to "diagnose" a car over the phone is unacceptable, and if it were me, I would start communication with the regional Mazda people. I mean, why would anyone drive their car around for 4-5 days with the CEL on without being 100% SURE what's causing it? Even if it IS the gas cap, that problem isn't going away. The only fix is a modified or new part. I feel your pain... good luck!
  • 1stmazda1stmazda Member Posts: 17
    I was feeling a bit left out....but...
    2,700km in (approx) CEL light is on.

first thing i did was check gas cap....and voila! it has loosened to the point of almost being able to just pull it out.

I've tightened (I always give it 8-10 clicks).....

I'm going to call dealer and ask about reseigned one...but the CEL is still on.

how long does it stay on after it illuminates?

tx
    The CEL stays on until the dealer resets the computer chip. I had the same problem. The original gas cap is defective and Mazda has come out with redesign/replacement. You should be able to get a rental vehicle, as it's most likely your dealer will need to keep the vehicle over night (unless they have the replacement in stock).

Vince.
    Made an appt for Thursday morning.

They sounded like they haven't heard anything about a gascap problem.

Does anyone have any details, mazda memos or anything on this I can "tweak" their memory on??

tx
  • ridrridr Member Posts: 6
    After 250 miles my CX-7 showed me the CEL light. It was even on it's first tank, aproaching near empty. So I read the manual and filled it up. Unfortunately no result. Called dealer. He told me that you can drive carefully with a none flashing CEL. They knew about the problems with the valve and/or cap. They actually only performed a software upgrade. It seems to be fixed but it has only been 2 days ago I visited them.
  • rightmuchrightmuch Member Posts: 3
    My CX7 has been misfiring from day one. Dealer replaced the plugs, but that didn't help. Evidently, it's a problem for quite a few owners. Mazda says they will have a re-program of the computer in a week or two. I like the vehicle, but this really sucks.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    They sounded like they haven't heard anything about a gascap problem.
    Does anyone have any details, mazda memos or anything on this I can "tweak" their memory on??

If your dealer hasnt sold alot of CX-7 they may not have seen any problems...but there seems to be a problem with some of the gas caps and a new cap is in the works.
    New gas cap is on-hand...mine was replaced with new version a week ago.

Vince.
    The CEL went on again yesterday, for the third time in 6.5 weeks. I've got 2750 miles on the car. The first time was a valve, the second time a hose. Now what? I'm losing patience. And trying to make a service appointment has now become extremely difficult; I don't want to take it to the dealer where I bought it, since their service department is closed on Saturdays. I called another dealer and they don't seem too receptive...although they're open on Saturdays, I was told that was really just for oil changes and the like. I explained what happened the first two times, and that seemed to catch the guy's interest...but for some reason, he couldn't talk at the moment, so I'm waiting for his call back. I'm getting very frustrated with the vehicle. It hasn't been the gas cap either time, so I'm sort of now thinking that this is some larger problem. I'm picking up a faint citrus scent. :lemon: :mad:
    Gas Cap? :confuse:
    For heaven's sake, I should only be so lucky to have it be the gas cap!! The other dealer/service department just called me back. I'm dropping it off this evening and will be given a rental car (no charge). At first the service guy was a bit reluctant...he said if the car's been at another dealer twice for repairs, both of which were emissions issues, then "they are on the right track." I replied that who knows what the problem is this time. I mentioned the faulty gas cap / gas cap replacement - let's HOPE that's what it is this time, since that seems to be a concrete answer. I just want my car to run right.
    OK - so this time, it WAS the gas cap!! And they replaced it. What's interesting is that when I took it in for service the first two times, to the dealer I purchased from, I made sure to mention the defective gas cap as a potential issue. However, since there were actually other problems (a faulty valve,a leaking hose), perhaps they figured the gas cap wasn't something to consider. But this other place checked that first...so, who knows. I'm relieved that that's all it is, and I can't wait to get my car back. Enough is enough!

PS- I was given a loaner, a new Jeep Liberty. Interesting little vehicle, so different from anything else I've ever driven. But I'll be happy to return it!
    went to my dealer this morning - they said the code came back as gas cap - "if it happens again....call us and we'll order you a new gas cap" !!!!

aargh
    This makes the 5th or 6th occurrence of the gas cap as a major cause of the CEL.

Moderator: is there any chance you can alert Edmunds to initiate a study and perhaps write an online article to alert potential consumers of this problem?

Better yet, have Edmunds advise Mazda that they should issue a voluntary recall before the federal government gets interested?

Regards, Vince.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Vince,

Click on the help link at the bottom of the page and then click the "Contact Us" tab. Staff loves to receive suggestions!

tidester, host
    not to stray off topic - but in the crash test ratings that came out recently - there was a note about about:

"During the dynamic rollover test, the ESC system deactivated causing the Malfunction Indicator Lamp to be illuminated. The ESC automatically reset at the next ignition cycle. This situation has been addressed for all vehicles manufactured after June 15, 2006. "

how would I have my dealership look in to this on my vehicle? is there a fix?
    Cause your vehicle to roll-over and see if the problem pops up? :P
  • nmknmk Member Posts: 111
    This was inserted among the papers I had received when we picked up our car on Aug. 31.
    "Check Engine Light Function"
    Ever time you start your vehicle, the check engine light will remain illuminated for a few seconds to let you know that the on-board engine emissions system is going through a self-check. This lets you know that your emissions system is working properly. If the light remains on, the on-board computer is sensing a malfunction and you should return to the dealer to have your emission system checked by a Certified Technician. The emission system constantly monitors itself, therefore, the light may illuminate while driving. this could be caused by several conditions such as:
    * The fuel tank level being very low or approaching empty.
    An emission control device has malfunctioned.
    * The fuel filler cap missing or not tightened securely.

*Not covered by warranty.

So it seems that this a known problem.

PS. Just changed oil and filter after 1500mi. Call me nuts, but I feel that it is better to be on the side of caution with a new vehicle.

PPS. My mechanic suggested using Mobil 1 with the following schedule:
    1- next oil change use Mobil 1.
    2- change oil and filter in less than 2000mi.
    3- change again after 5000mi.
    (The reason for the first two changes is to get rid of the original oil.)
    4- last change should last 100,000mi.
    Any remarks or comments?

Thanks,

NMK
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    4- last change should last 100,000mi.

I'd sure like a 100,000 mile oil change interval for my cars! If you added an extra zero, you have 30 minutes to edit your post. :shades:

If your mechanic isn't kidding, maybe he can do my oil too (assuming there's some sort of warranty). ;)
  • nmknmk Member Posts: 111
    Steve:
    Well, I am almost certain that he did say 100k but I will check tomorrow.
    BTW, he was listed as a preferred mechanic by Click and Clack the Tappet Bros. of NPR fame.
    I wouldn't even bother checking. You either misheard him, or he's full of it, regardless of what Click and Clack say. You'll do yourself a favor by changing the oil every 7,500 miles after you get the metal fines out of the engine the first time. Mobil 1 is optional, but generally a good idea for turbos.

-c92
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I do think the day is coming. The Europeans have been on 10,000 mile intervals for years with plain old oil so 100,000 on synthetic isn't out of the realm of possibility. 30,000 seems to be the target over the pond at the moment and it's good to see 10,000 mile recommendations floating around.

GM is using the change oil light more - to compliment the Check Engine Light I guess (to sort of get back on topic in here :shades: ).

Ah, but the thing is, the gas caps are defective and cannot form a proper seal. So I don't care if Mazda knew about it, the gas cap doesn't work and they've needed to issue new ones! It's not acceptable to put a faulty product out there, which they haven't even really acknowledged. Just yesterday, I had the fuel cap replaced and it was indeed under warranty, I didn't spend a penny, not even for the rental car.
  • zoom49zoom49 Member Posts: 76

If your cas cap is missing= no warranty
    If you fail to tighten repeaedly= no warranty
    Defective gas cap= Warranty