Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Azera 2007

Comments

• allmet33allmet33 Member Posts: 3,557
    Cableguy06...I would have to agree with you on this. As much as I love my Azera, I can't see spending mid to high-$30's for another Hyundai. Maybe they'll end up bringing it in for the high-$29 to low-$30 range and be successful.

I don't know what VW was thinking with the Phateon...that should have gone under Audi to begin with. I mean...if anyone is going to stomach an $80K purchase...at least having an Audi nameplate on it would have made better sense.

The ES and G35 are mid-$30's and the Azera is handily beating it in bang for buck. If Hyundai can bring the Equus to market for low-$30's, it'll easily create a market stir for those looking at the M's and GS's (which reach well in the the $40's).

Honestly, I think sales of the Azera and word of mouth about it's quality and durability will set the tone for what we can expect for the Equus. I do hope that Hyundai has learned it's lessons from how they brought the Azera to market. IMHO...very, very terrible marketing-wise.

Considering Hyundai is a monster in the industrial vehicle market, I think they will surprise us with the rear driver they do finally unvail. Personally, I would like to see it offered as an AWD.
  • joe131joe131 Member Posts: 998
    The 2007 Lexus GS 430 has an EPA passenger volume of 98 cubic feet. That makes it the same size inside as a 2007 Hyundai Elantra!
    The Infinity M45 has 105 cubic feet, the same size as a 2007 Hyundai Sonata.
    BMW's have always been small inside for the price you have to pay to get one.
    It is hard to design and build a really good handling, really large passenger volume luxury car. Hyundai is probably up to the task if it chooses to try. They could make it even bigger than the Azera inside.
    If Hyundai came out with a 109 cubic foot or bigger rear drive fully loaded luxo-performance sedan around $35k or so, I bet they'd sell a lot of them. There'd really not be any good competition anywhere near that price. Korean Maybach?
  • cableguy06cableguy06 Member Posts: 299
    joe131...it will take a lot more than greater cubic feet to get people to look seriously at a $35K Hyundai. I totally agree that Hyundai has done a great job at producing roomy, comfortable cars. Buy once you hit a price point greater than $30K, the rules change and people demand high quality and what they have come to expect from both Lexus and Infinity.

In the minds of Americans, Hyundai's entry into rear wheel drive would be a wait and see for quality, handling, performance and reliability. They may sell a lot in the years to come but I see the same happening with a newly designed $35K car as what has happend with the Azera.

I agree with allmet33...if they are serious, they must have an AWD option to play with the big boyz :shades:
  • 70ss454_man70ss454_man Member Posts: 107
    in addition to joe131, when it comes to reliability in hyhundai's, it has all been in 4 and 6 cyl. engines that hyundai has used over and over, and every year refining them more. for me, i couldn't think of paying $30+ for a first year hyundai with the new design concept of a V8.
    Funny, a couple or few years ago there were people like you saying the buying public would never approve of any Hyundai with a sticker price over $25,000.
    Well, seems to me the Azera is being recognized as a very fine car in terms of performance, size, refinement, etc. and buyers are stepping up to the plate with their checkbooks and credit cards. And that at MSRPs above $25,000.
    The later XG 350 L models were also well over $25k MSRP. Because of only minor improvements over the years, they were not thoroughly up to date with some of their competitors by that time, but they still were attractive when comparing sticker prices. And some happy customers found them irresistable at the heavily discounted prices offered once it became common knowledge that the new Sonata and Azera were on the way to replace them.
    Other manufacturers underestimate Hyundai at their own peril.
    The Hyundai phenomenon is no flash in the pan
    And then there were people in 1989 who were afraid to buy a Lexus LS 400 at $36,000 MSRP because they too were afraid of a manufacturer trying its hand at a new engine configuration. Hahaha. Lucky ones who bought those early LS's with the new-fangled V-8. Some, no, make that most, if not all of them found themselves with a used car worth more than what they paid for it brand new.
    They were then and continue to be great cars. Great cars, motors, luxury, refinement etc. Of course now they way over $36,000.
    What Lexus did back then to the Germans is what Hyundai is now doing to the Japanese.
  • tinydog1tinydog1 Member Posts: 83
    Please correct me if I am wrong, but the current Equus has been available with a Direct Injection 4.5 V-8 since 2002. The current version is also rear wheel drive. The 4.5 was
    engineered in a joint venture w/ Mitsubishi.
    I don't know.
    I was referring to new to the U.S. market in my posts.
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    RE: 208
    You are entirely correct.
    What a lot of people fail to understand is that the Azera, although it is a new name, is a Grandeur which has been marketed by Hyundai for awhile. One of the main differences is that Hyundai has chosen to strip out many of the Korean marketed features when they introduced the model into the US as the Azera. The same applies to Equus.
  • dborthdborth Member Posts: 474
    They can probably "tweak" the current Azera 3.8 to 300hp. From there they better do their homework. Using Lexus,Infinity, 5-Series BMW, E-Class MB and even the Chrylser 300C, they will need to be in the minimum 350hp range for a near 5-liter V-8. Also, someone in production should have lunch with marketing and get the US dealer / service department network informed on the front side.
    I have 28 lease payments left on my 2007 Azera so I am prime for the new platform. I bet they can pull it off in the mid $30's.
  • theblackholetheblackhole Member Posts: 62
    joe131-
    I agree with your analogy of the early Lexus LS, and people being a little hesitant at first to plop down $36K for a rebadged Toyota. We too are like them, in that our Azera's will only go up in price once Hyundai builds it's brand image.
    One thing Lexus did very well with the LS - was adverting/marketing. Ant car enthusiast around in '89 will remember the champagne glasses on the hood of the dyno mounted LS. It's unfortunate that Hyundai, despite the very favorable reviews the Azera has received, has not supported the car with a strong marketing campaign.
    I have no doubts that Hyundai will continue it's rise to prominence in the auto industry, and within 7 years be selling cars right alongside Toyota/Lexus, Nissan/Infiniti, Honda/Acura, MB and BMW. They are following the very same game plan that Toyota & Honda did. They also have the benefit of an argueably better global economic climate from which to launch. Get used to it boys, Hyundai is here for a while. As for Ford, GM & Chrysler, I'm sad to say, it's going to be a tough 10 years.
    I think Hyundai left themselves room to grow on the HP for both the Azera and the Sonata. I mean...with the Maxima pretty much having to go up to 300 hp (since you can get an Altima with 270 hp), I think we'll see an Azera at or close to the 300 hp range within a couple years. I can see the Sonata jumping up to 265 hp to keep up with the Altima.

I'll be holding on to my Azera for quite a while as we are looking at a new crossover vehicle as the family mover as we have a new addition on the way. However, if the Azera does jump up to the 300 hp range, I may trade mine in for that model! ;)

With the way the Azera has been received (the car itself once people actually get them), I'm sure a flagship model above it will get the accolades as long as they use a similar formula that they employed when coming up with the Azera. Refine the ride a little bit more and I think they'll have a grand slam!!!
    Right now, the strongest thing Hyundai has going for the Azera is word of mouth. You're right in that Hyundai is killing themselves with the lack of advertising for the Azera. Even in the Hyundai End of Year Clearance ads...you see all the cars except for the Tib and the Azera.

Back in January, they ran a couple of ads for the Azera that lasted maybe 2 weeks and then you didn't see them any more. Then, the most recent ones I saw were about a month ago and you only see it sporadically at best.

People really do need to realize that Hyundai has awakened and now has both eyes open. They have realized what they need to do to stake a claim on the industry. Hyundai has forced Nissan & Toyota to step up their game in what options are available on their cars. Only problem is, they can't touch Hyundai in what is offered as standard equipment. In almost every Hyundai, the only options you really have to pay for are an upgraded sound system and a sun roof...the car pretty much has everything else as standard equipment and that is one thing that's killing the Big 3!
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    One word...NO

You will not see V8 in the Azera. Why? Because there is no need for the V8 when the Lambdas are very flexible and can be tuned to as high as 300 horses.

You will see the V8, however, in the upcoming RWD luxury sedan, the new 4.6L V8, pushing at an estimated 340hp+
    I agree...no V-8 for the Azera, the 3.8 V-6 can be tweaked to push 300 hp or maybe a little more.

I do believe the new flagship will have a tweaked Azera V-6 available in it's SE (or whatever they call it) model and the V-8 as it's Limited power plant.
    Entirely different model. RWD, slightly larger with a base 6 and a V-8 option. Search Hyundai "BH", a ton of information. Volvo / Ford aren't involved, Hyundai already has the V-8 in Korea.

Dean
  • floridabob1floridabob1 Member Posts: 1,190
    I have just returned from local ( SE Florida) dealer.
    Although they have received and are able to sell 07 Azeras, they still have not been updated with parts program, giving them the ability to locate part numbers and diagrams of the 07 model.
  • jaymagicjaymagic Member Posts: 309
    I have also read what many here have referred to and that is taking the current engine to 300 hp. As we all know, it it putting out quote a bit of power now and uses REGULAR unleaded. I am guessing that if some of the aftermarket companies would put together an engine chip management program for the Azera, we could take the current engine to close to 300 just with tweaks that could accompany an upgrade to Premium Unleaded.

Personally, I am not sure another 30+ HP would make me buy the chip and spend more for gas, but for some I would bet they would jump at it. For me, I would rather see the aftermarket companies offer a little more in the way of a larger/stiffer roll bar and some other suspension mods to give us a more sporting handling capability (if desired).

I thought about changing the current Hyundai grill to the non H model, but now am of the opinion I want people to know what it is.

I am afraid that by the time I can afford to trade in my Azera, the Equus will be more than I want to spend. I suspect the second year Equus, like my current O7 Azera and my old 02 XG350L. will have all I would want and at a great price. Five years from now, may be too late for me. I suspect in three years the 2010 Equus will be the one to go after for bang for the buck.

In the mean time, my 07 is going to rack up A LOT of very pleasurable miles.
    Don't be fooled. The current engine will only produce 263 hp using premium unleaded. Using regular knocks it down a few ponies, but...running regular, it still has plenty of kick. At least...this is what I was told by the tech at my service department.

At any rate, I'm like you...I would love to see some performance pieces made for the Azera (outside of exterior mods). I doubt if I would ever change the exhaust system as they are designed to last for life! Like you...I'd love to see some larger anti-sway bars, strut tower bars, CAI system and maybe even a turbo or super-charger (maybe Alpine Developments will make one like they did for the Sonata). One thing I can vouch for that has enhanced the handling is the new wheel/tire package I put on. 20" rims with 245/35-20 tires. Curves and corners are handled with much more confidence. The ride is a bit stiffer, but not majorly noticable. The suspension on the Azera absorbs a lot more than folks think.

In 2 more months, I will have had my Azera for a year and I've got just under 24K miles on it. Loving every minute of it!!!
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    )) "In 2 more months, I will have had my Azera for a year and I've got just under 24K miles on it." ((

That statement got me thinking. (inevitably a dangerous thing at my age and mental capacity...) My '03 Sonata is exactly 4 years, 3 wks old today. To date my car has had ONE warrantable defect that required a trip to the dealership for (a defective domelight switch) and ONE recall notice (the addition of a gravity operated rollover shut-off valve in a liquid return line to the fuel tank to prevent a fire). It's about 50 miles short of its eighth oil change. I suspect at the rate you're putting miles on your '06 Azera, in several days your car will be mechanically "older" than mine if it isn't already. Four years of essentially trouble-free operation. I wish you (and all other current Hyundai owners, regardless of model) identical good fortune! :D
    Put a performance chip on your new car and you might end up being very unhappy if there is ever an engine failure within the Hyundai factory warranty period.
    In that case, you might end up with no warranty coverage from Hyundai and no coverage from the chip manufacturer.
    Not only that, you might not even find out the bad news until many months or years after the failure. And during that waiting period, you'll have probably spent a lot of your own money for repairs and/or done without the use of the car, not to mention legal expenses.

Something about the wheels of justice grinding slowly.
    Happy New Year to you Ray_h1!!! The mileage on my Azera is building up much slower than on the '02 Sonata I had. In the 4 years I owned it, I had racked up just over 105K miles on it by the time I traded it in.

In those 4 years and all those miles...there was one recall issues (side airbag sensor replacement to ensure bags didn't deploy when door was slammed), other that that I had 5 warranty repairs with only one I considered major and that being the shifting sensor on the transmission. The car never left me stranded or gave me a day of trouble. The most money I spent was when I got the timing belt replaced and that service was $1100.00 which included a spark plug change, alignment and front end bra.

I'm not worried about the milage as I buy a car to actually drive it without thinking about how many miles I'm putting on it. Just another reason I keep up with the preventive maintenance. I think I can honestly say that this is the lowest number of miles I've ever put on a car in one year!!!

Glad to hear you've had such good fortune with your Sonata.
    The 02 XG350L I traded in on the 07 Azera, had 76,000 miles on it and the only wartranty items ever performed were a fuse for the wipers (early on) :) and a headlight at about 48K. Every function on the car worked when traded, the same as new.

That's one reason I returned to Hyundai for the Azera.
    As stated, its not something I would do, BUT with the newer cars, you have the ability to save the factory setting for the chip, then make the changes you want. If the car needs servicing, you then reprogram in the factory settings before hitting the dealer service door. Not that I know anyone who has done this, but......
    I would rather just add a CAI system and maybe performance exhaust instead of replacing the chip. Those mods won't void the warranty (at least this is what the folks at the dealership I go to told me).

Even if you did reset the chip to factory settings, they would be able to tell if the chip had been tampered with to begin with...at least I would think that is the case.

I don't think any of this would be an issue for those that buy the Tiburons, Elantras and Accents to tune as performance cars, but for the Soantas and Azeras....don't really think it would be worth it in the end. Just my own opinion.
    In my opinion, if you purchased an Azera expecting it to be a "performance" car you will be disappointed. It was designed and marketed as a "near" luxury sedan.
    It has sufficient get up and go to fit that catagory.
    Floridabob1...you are correct and I think a lot of folks fail to remember that when they talka bout it in performance terms. The car really has more than enough get up and go and with a few tweaks here and there, it can be a decent performer.
  • nj_azeranj_azera Member Posts: 11
    I just found out that my new 2007 Azera trunk will stay unlocked if the car alarm is not activated. If i forget to alarm the car all you have to do is reach above the rear license plate and open the trunk. Two weeks ago I had a trunk filled with gifts, if the keys deactivated the alarm while in my pocket, trunk opens and gifts are bye-bye.... not good. My old car had a 2 second push button response to opening the trunk to avoid this problem and always was locked independent of the door locks. :confuse:
  • gamlegedgamleged Member Posts: 442
    I personally would prefer that the trunk be locked until I specifically SAY "open trunk," whether by key or by door switch or by wireless key fob, but two things: Yes, if you accidently send an "unlock door" message to your car, the doors and trunk will be unlocked, but all will relock after 30 seconds.
    The trunk button on the fob must be pressed for one full second to unlock the trunk, also releasing the latch, which may be what happened to you, unless the "doors unlock" button was accidently pressed and someone walking by as the door locks clicked and the lights flashed, took quick advantage.

As it is, the only way to ensure no such accidents occur is to use the key only and to leave the remote home. Although I've twice set off the "panic alarm" in my garage whilst inside my house wearing too-tight pants, I'm still not quite ready to take that remote-free step! Instead, I'll try (harder) to lose that @#!@%% 10 lbs I want to shed...
    Thanks for the info. I checked it out and it locks 30 seconds after I triggered the alarm.I can live with that.
    Best decision that I ever made was to get this car
    just don't tell my wife that :D
    By the way, I missed reading the "IF" in your post, "...if the keys deactivated the alarm while in my pocket..." and I'm happy that you didn't get "Scrooged!"...
    RE: 232
    If this unlock feature truly bothers you, you can have the electric latch unplugged and only use the key to open your trunk.
    RE: 232

If in your old car you activated the unlock door button accidently while the keys were in your pocket, could not someone open the door to your car and hit the interior trunk release button, giving them the same access to your gifts?
  • tinydog1tinydog1 Member Posts: 83
    I don't know if many Azera owners are aware that there is a button located in the glove box upper left area that deactivates the switch pad on the trunk. It will only open with the key or fob.
    RE:237

I guess they could. My point is that the trunk becomes accessible to be opened from the outside, but with the car locking itself after 30 seconds I'll live with that. Oh and by the way the old car had no room for gifts.....the golf clubs took all the room :D
    RE: 239
    Once the car re-locks itself, I believe that the trunk is also re-locked.
    I'm glad someone else remembered the button in the glove box. However, I do believe if you depress the button, the only way to unlock the trunk is with the key itself. I don't think the fob will even work once you've deactivated the remote trunk release.

Not sure if you guys know it or not, but you only have to depress the unlock button one time (which unlocks the driver's door) and the trunk unlocks as well. Pressing the button a second time unlocks all the passenger doors.

With the trunk so easy to open, I hardly ever use the remote fob to open it. A nice feature for them to add is if you do use the key fob to open the trunk, it should raise up on its own. That would be sweet!
    Actually...the trunk does stay locked until you specifically "SAY" open trunk. It's all in how you set it up.

I've set my panic alarm off too with the key fob in my pocket with pants that aren't tight at all. I've pretty much eliminated the problem by putting the key and fob on one of those carbiner clips you see rock climbers use and I clip that to my belt loop so the fob is just hanging buttons facing away from me.
  • cableguy06cableguy06 Member Posts: 299
    "eliminated the problem by putting the key and fob on one of those carbiner clips you see rock climbers use and I clip that to my belt loop so the fob is just hanging buttons facing away from me"

Sounds attractive ;) Kinda like that macho biker look :shades:

Have you thought about putting it on a chain? Would make a great final touch to complete the look :D
    I thought chicks dug the macho biker look! :surprise:

I would add a chain, but having it hitting up against my leg when I'm walking would drive me NUTS!!! LOL

Here's how it looks for real...
    imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com
    Prior to taking delivery of my '07 Limited a little less than 3 months ago, I had actually seen 2 Azera's. One in a parking lot of a business,(Aubergine) and the other (black) on a local freeway. Today I saw my third (grey) on another freeway. These "sightings" took place in Southern CA surrounding Metro LA. This is a major auto market obviously and I keep wondering why I don't see more, especially since I am so pleased with mine. Simple answer is that Hyundai has done a miserable job in launching and placing this model in the market. The dealer I leased mine from does cable TV spots that occasionally focuses on "the car that everyone raves about" at $27,500. (no mention of model specifics). The Hyundai Jan '07 web site is offering a 2007 Azera lease for $259 including $500.00 "loyalty" and "see your dealer" for the LImited. Remaining '06's are subject to $1,000 rebate + $500 for a purchase, nothing on a lease. In my 180 mile roundtrip commute today visiting a potential client I saw so many 5 and 7 series bimmers and tricked-out 300's and Chargers it made my head swim. If so few sightings are occuring elsewhere in the country this model will sadly never get off the ground. What a shame.
    RE: 245
    You are correct.
    For some reason Hyundai has done very little to promote the Azera. In my area, South Florida, they run a few TV spots about once a month, but that is it.
    I too see few Azera's on the road although I am always looking.
    At this point the model is a marketing failure.
    Although my local dealer has received at least two shipments of 07 Azeras, they have not even placed one in the showroom.
    The Service and Parts Departments have not been updated on their computers to access the 07's.
    I called a dealer in MA yesterday, and they too have not been updated to include 07 Azera's.
    What must the company be thinking?
    You both are correct! I think in the year this car has been out, I can say I've seen maybe 20 altogether. That being between here (MD), driving to NC, FL and NY. The commercials that played got noticed in the brief time they were on because I've had folks mention it when they see my car.

I don't understand why Hyundai is shooting themselves in the foot with this car, unless they are trying a new tactic to see just how far word of mouth will get them. For some products and services that works, but with cars...people buy them according to what they see on the road. If they don't really see this car on the road a lot, they feel it's not worthy of their consideration.

This has to be one of the most perplexing issues I've ever seen when it comes to new product advertising/support.
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    Hyundai may have some allocation problems supplying the U.S. market with Azeras. (No point drumming up demand if you can't meet it.) In the meantime, take pity on those poor BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Bentley, and Rolls-Royce owners. They can only weep bitter tears at the realization their mundane cars don't carry the exclusivity happy Azera owners enjoy.
    That is certainly one way to look at it Ray! ;)
    Now that I think about it, I've seen more Bentleys on the road in the same time period. :surprise:
    Bumper sticker seen on Bentley: "My other car is an Azera"...
    RE; 248
    I'm not sure what you mean by your reply.
    They intentionally did not introduce the 07's in many markets to allow dealers time to get rid of the 06's.
    Now the dealers have the 07's but Hyundai is not spending any advertising bucks promoting the model.
    By not providing the dealers with technical information about the 07 models they are eroding customer confidence.
    I would be hesitant to purchase a product like a new car knowing that the manufacturer is not supplying it's dealers with proper technical support.
    I'm not shedding tears for the BMW, Mercedes, Bentley and RR owners. I'm more concerned for the Azera owner who can't get his "clunk" problem resolved.
    Bob, considering there was minimal advertising on the '06...it almost comes as no surprise.

At some point...the whole "clunk" issue will be resolved. It's just a matter of time. Since I don't have the "clunk" issue, I don't know if it's one that can be lived with or not. However, the best thing is that it will be covered under warranty, so while it may be an inconvenience...it won't cost the owners anything.

One of these days, Hyundai will put the horse in front of the cart and make some serious progress.