Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Commander Start Stall and Idle Problems

Comments

• csamos2csamos2 Member Posts: 3
    Contrary to what many owners seem to be experiencing, I am currently in the process of having my Commander repurchased by Chrysler. I began this process on October 16th and was informed today that my dealer has my check for repurchase.

VA's Lemon law is pretty straightforward and very partial to the consumer. However, there are some very specific steps you must follow in order to be able to take advantage of it. I followed them to the letter after some advice from a local Lemon LAw attorney and the Virginia Department of Consumer Affairs and have had no problems getting Chrysler's attention. I didnt have to involve an attorney and unless you are looking to get something beyond the what Lemon Law says you are entitled to, you probably shouldnt either. However, I do believe that the District Manager I dealt with and my local dealership, made a differnece in the process.

After attempting to resolve the stalling problem on four different occasions, I began the process of requesting a buyback, citing Virginia's Lemon law. I wrote a CERTIFIED letter to Chrysler, accompanied by all my repair receipts and documented in as much detailI as possible all my stalling issues. I was fortunate in that my vehicle stalled in fornt of the dealership one day after picking it up from an unsuccessful repair attempt. They atcahed a computer right away and no codes were present. I stated that this was their last attempt to fix the problem-apparently after written notification, they have only one more opportunity to repair the vehicle. I explained that I no longer felt safe in the vehicle and that I was requesting a buyback of the vehicle under Virginia's Motor Vehicle Warranty Enforcement Act.

I received a call from a Chrysler District Manager less than two weeks later who offered either a replacement or buyback. He was very professional and admitted that i had been inconvenienced and it was his commitment to fix the siutation for us. As much as I loved the Commander, I was no longer confident in the product and did not want another one. I elected the buyback and was contacted a week or so later from Impartial Services group, Chrysler's arbitration contractor. I sent them a copy of my purchase agreement, registration and a few other details and soon after received a computation for repurchase.

My vehicle was leased, so they are paying off the lease, returning our payments tax, tags, fees, etc less an allowance for mileage. I will be going today to pick up my check and sign over the vehicle. I must admit, the District Manager I dealt with and the rep at Impartial Services were very professional, responsive and helpful throughout the process. The situation with the vehicle was unfortunate, but I have no complaints about anyone I have dealt with at Chrysler from purchase to turn in.

I am, not trying to throw Chrysler under the bus, since the way they handled my complaint was nothing short of professional. But since this stalling issue is well documented and involves a Federal probe, they shouldnt have much of a leg to stand on if you proceed properly. At worst, you shoudl be reasonably expect to be able to have your vehicle replaced and at best, Chrysler should offer to take it off your hands.

I have tons of links to information on VA Lemon Law. Of course it varies from state to state, but it can be helpful in pursuing your own case, should you choose to. Feel free to email me directly at csamos2@msn.com and I will send you what i have
  • lemon06lemon06 Member Posts: 14
    We are now up to 13. I was surprised myself but figured a lot of people may have filed with HTSA and didn't know about this organization. But this is the way to get the word out. ">link title
    Well, that is great news for you. However, I have followed the same exact channels as yourself and Chrysler has not bothered to contact me and or Consumer Affairs. So, I've contacted an attorney and this case will be taken to court. It will be interesting to hear why Chrysler hasn't replied to my complaint and that of Consumer Affairs. And by the way I reside in Va. and it doesn't seem to matter to Chrysler where you live and how strict your state lemon law is so, consider yourself one of the lucky ones. My vehicle is purchased so I don't know if your vehicle being leased and all had some affect on your outcome. I mean after all in the long run who is going to be stuck with the truck at the end? I have thrown Chrysler under the bus, train, and the plane. Thank god our troops don't have to use any of their vehicle parts to move across the desert. The war would have been over a long time ago seeing how they would have been sitting ducks getting plucked out of the sand because of Chrysler's commitment to excellence.
    Been there done that.
  • neumie2000neumie2000 Member Posts: 133
    I'm sorry for your troubles. Be aware, however, that you likely signed an arbitration clause (whether you knew you did so is another story) as part of your purchasing documents so your chances of getting to court are somewhat diminished. Good luck, and keep us posted.
  • katmandu2katmandu2 Member Posts: 13
    Are 08 Commanders having this stalling issue as well ?

Also, check out the Commander's Technical Service Bulletins (aka TSBs)

VERY INFORMATIVE !!!!!!!

http://www.xkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_xk_2300406.pdf

The dealers have NO excuse NOT to know about ANY and ALL TSBs !!!

When you take your vehicle in for service, INSIST that all TSBs be accounted for for your vehicle!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I'm not sure what you mean by "be accounted for" but the dealer isn't likely to perform any TSB procedure unless the tech can confirm a problem exists.

You, Your Vehicle and the Technical Service Bulletin (TSB)
  • bassman8bassman8 Member Posts: 14
    No, 2008 Commanders are not affected. Reference TSB 18-049-07 released on December 13, 2007, this should fix any 2006 4.7 Commander with actual low speed stalling issues. This TSB will also fix any 3.7 or 4.7 that has a momentary ESP actuation with an associated short lack of throttle response. 5.7 Commanders are not affected by either of these conditions.
  • fanmanfanman Member Posts: 6
    My car is at the dealer RIGHT NOW for the 14th stall and when he just mentioned they found a TSB, I googled and here I am!
    How do you know TSB 18-049-07 fixes a 2006 4x2 4.7L? I could not see the stalling info anywhere in it? "momentary ESP actuation with an associated short lack of throttle response" doesn't quite explain that it dies and you loose power steering and brakes on the frreway or railroad tracks.
    I hope you are right so I dont have to waste 2 hours a week with Chrysler, the NTHSA or the Texas Lemon Law
    First, you didn't read further in the TSB regarding low idle speeds. This is what applies in your case. Also, just an FYI, you don't lose steering and brakes. At low speeds you may lose steering assist, but that is really inconsequential. You don't lose power brake assist either unless you're pumping the brakes. You always have about 3 pedal strokes under full assist mode even when the engine stops running. That should be more than enough to get you stopped. Trust me, this will fix your problem.
    Reading the TSB, How does ESP premature activation at low idle speed = car dies?
    It has always happened when my wife drives so I cant comment on how difficult braking and steering is. I think its the "Oh Sh*@! - it happened again!" panic factor more than anything else.
    Just picked it up fprm the dealer who says the fix was "flash PCM (Powertrain Control Module) - STAR solution K50951304" and described it as a SW update to prevent the sensor from cutting off oxygen at throtlle and killing the engine. I could not google that fix and have not talked to the tech yet. Any advise where to look to see of this is legit?
  • jeeptech1jeeptech1 Member Posts: 5
    :sick: Hey guys. I have been reading some blogs & forums on several complaints about Jeep Commanders stalling while driving. I am a Chrysler certified Tech. I have had some of these vehicles with this complaint at our dealership. I am working with our area Tech rep. to help and try to pinpoint the cause of this problem.I would appreciate as much detail as possible about this stalling issue. Please understand that 99% of these complaints usually cannot be duplicated when the customer brings it in.Some of the following questions may seem odd. but please understand that these jeep vehicles have approx 15-20 on board computers. a very complex can bus network. "controller area network". this operates much like your home pc. sometimes the computers lock up and require resetting.
    If you could anwser some of the following questions, I would really appreciate it.

1.Does this happen at any particular vehicle speed ?
    2.Does it happen on accelleration or decelleration ?
    3. What do the instrument panel gauges do when it happens ?
    4. Do any other accessories in the vehicle become inop when it happens? ex: radio, headlamps, turn signals, gauges, etc...
    5. Are you making or receiving a cell phone call within 3 seconds of this happening ?
    6. Were you within 500 feet of a cell tower or radio/ tv tower or any other kind of communications tower or equipment?
    7. Was a tractor trailer within 100 feet of you when this happened?
    8. Did you notice any vehicles within 100ft around you with large antennas or police or emergency vehicles?
    9. Were you within 500 feet of any high tension power lines?
    10. Were you driving over a dam that produces hydroelectric power?
    11. Were you within 1/2 mile of a nuclear plant?
    12 How much fuel was in the fuel tank when this happened?
    13. Does it occur more at certian fuel levels?
    14. What was the outside air temp when this happened?
    15. Is it more noticeable in certain weather conditions?
    16. Do you operate any other aftermarket radio or video transmitting equipment?

Well this is a start. I know some of these questions sound strange. but trust me. you would be suprised what can affect electronics. Take the issue in the mid 80's to 90's when Volkswagen had a random engine stall issue. The cause was found to be RF "radio frequency" from a passing semi, ie " trucker talking on his cb, which had a linear amplifier attached to it. Thank you very much for your time
    Please read my post about this.
    thanks jeeptech1
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Welcome aboard! I'm sure our member will be able to provide some pertinent information and we're looking forward to your report about what's causing the problem.

Incidentally, you have up to 30 minutes to edit a message after posting it.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    "official" reponse from chrysler is the DEcember 2007 TSB fixes it. I had the fix done 500 miles ago so we'll see. Interesting questions but I dont think I have any answers that make you happy. With 14 occurunces, to the best of my recollection it has been all ambients, all speeds, all fuel levels - with no emmitting sources nearby. Radio and lights still work, but power braking and power steering goes away.
    Hi Jeep tech 1,
    TSB 18-049-07 fixes this problem. Please refer to that. Don't waste your time trying to investigate this and figure out what causes it. The fix is known and released to dealers on Dec.13. Just flash any customer vehicle 3.7, 4.7 and it will cure the low speed stalling and the momentary lack of throttle response due to the ESP system.

When NHTSA updates their website with Chrysler's response you can read about it there.
    my vehicle fails over 40mph, looses power steering and braking,. Chrysyler says this is not possible. So that means they still do not understand the root cause
    sorry, but that tsb does not cure this problem, already been down that road. still want to get to the bottom of it. thanks for the info.
    we'll no info on the stalling commanders yet, has been 15 days, I have a 2006 commander with a 3.7 v6. symptom: at random, the engine will not turn over to start. traced problem to a fault in the headlamp to dash wiring harness. The IPM c2 connector, pin#7, F942 circuit. the ignition circuit will sometimes drop out. if you release the outboard lock on the IPM and tilt the IPM upward, the circuit connects. Have harness ordered. Good luck guys. :)
    No, the TSB would not cure a wiring issue. It sounds like you found the issue on this particular jeep. I have seen one occurrence where a terminal lock was broken in the PDC. That did not prevent a crank, but it did prevent power to the coils. It set 8 faults for coil primary voltage and the vehicle would not start unless you twisted the PDC a certain way, then starting or not was random. It would start and stall or not start at all. It may start and run for 50 feet and then die. The big difference was the presence of fault codes. The issue that I was discussing is fixed by the TSB and never has fault codes present.
    mabye you misunderstood me. this commander with the wiring issue is not in for the stalling issue.is it in for a no start. sorry for the confusion.
    Update. As it stands I pursued an attorney. They filed a lawsuit against Chrysler back in November 07. About two days prior to Christmas Chrysler called my attorney with an offer. I put some cash in my pocket and keep the truck. :lemon:
    I refused that offer. Why would I want to put a few thousand in my pocket just to continue to own a vehicle I can't drive? I told my attorney that I wish to continue with the court preceedings. I also stated that I want Chrysler to purchase my vehicle back. He said OK. A fews weeks ago Chrysler agreed to buy back my vehicle. They were willing to pay for the accessories except for the ipod connector I had purchased through their parts department. Everything else is after market. Still waiting on the green light to take my :lemon: back to the dealer and get my check. Thanks for finally coming through Chrysler. Its sad that a law suit had to be filed because you blew me off and Consumer Affairs. Good Luck to the rest of you.
  • kimscokimsco Member Posts: 2
    Found out with 18,000 miles need all 6 pistons replaced. They don't think it is related to the power/stalling problems. Sounds like it could be related!
  • tnjeepertnjeeper Member Posts: 1
    We've had our Commander since September 2006 and have had about 4 or 5 stalls over the years. Two days ago it stalled on my wife, she was driving slow and had no problems getting it restarted and drove on. I took it to the dealer today and they re-programmed the computer. My dealer was aware there are problems with 2006-2007 models and were helpful and got it done quickly. I am hoping this takes care of the stalling. While others make it seem like the Commander is a death trap because of this i do not feel this way, nor does my wife. the important thing is to not panic, you can maintain control of the vehicle and get it restarted quickly. If you have ever had a car run out of gas on you this is basically the same scenario. Granted a brand new vehicle should not be stalling, hope this ends this problem for everyone.
  • nefftaneffta Member Posts: 1
    Good Morning,
    I am just became a mbr of this site in order to research the prob that I have been encountering with my 2006 Jeep Commander. I am late in the game, can you please explain what problems you have been having. My jeep has been stalling for the last 6 months on and off and i have taken it to the dealership 4 times already. They claim it's this or that but nothing seems to work. To top that off, I am about 900 miles away from my 36000 miles with no extended warranty. Please explain your situation so that I can decide what to do. Get a lawyer, trade it or what?
    its been 1600 miles since the fix and so far so good
  • nmccallumnmccallum Member Posts: 1
    Is there a particular engine size this stalling problem occurs with or is it all Commander engine sizes? I am thinking about buying a 2006 with a 3.7 L engine.
  • greanbeangreanbean Member Posts: 3
    1.Does this happen at any particular vehicle speed ? VARIES
    2.Does it happen on accelleration or decelleration ? ACCEL/COAST
    3. What do the instrument panel gauges do when it happens ? RANDOMLY TURN ON/OFF
    4. Do any other accessories in the vehicle become inop when it happens? ex: radio, headlamps, turn signals, gauges, etc... RANDOM ON/OFF of radio, all dash/warning lights, gauges. and it's not usually all on off at the same time. usually at the first instance, the whole thing lights up and then one at a time they randomly turn on and off. i haven't noticed the headlamps/turn signals affected.
    5. Are you making or receiving a cell phone call within 3 seconds of this happening ? NO
    6. Were you within 500 feet of a cell tower or radio/ tv tower or any other kind of communications tower or equipment? NO IDEA
    7. Was a tractor trailer within 100 feet of you when this happened? NO
    8. Did you notice any vehicles within 100ft around you with large antennas or police or emergency vehicles? NO
    9. Were you within 500 feet of any high tension power lines? NO IDEA
    10. Were you driving over a dam that produces hydroelectric power? NO
    11. Were you within 1/2 mile of a nuclear plant? NO
    12 How much fuel was in the fuel tank when this happened? VARIES
    13. Does it occur more at certian fuel levels? NO
    14. What was the outside air temp when this happened? VARIED
    15. Is it more noticeable in certain weather conditions? NO
    16. Do you operate any other aftermarket radio or video transmitting equipment? NO
    _______

Please see my original post # 144. I've had 4 occurances since then.
    only the first time, did i lose power steering and power brakes.

every other instance involved the dashboard only (warning lights going crazy, turning on and off, gauges not working, etc.)
    it appears completely random. a few times it occurred right after starting up and backing out of a parking space.
    other times, just driving down the road at speeds between 25 and 45 mph.

of course, it leaves no codes and is unreproducible.

once, it occurred when i was near a jeep dealership, i drove straight there and it was still in progress (about half the warning lights were still lit, the gauges had started working again though) -- every service bay door was closed, there was no technician available to put it on the scope!!

each and every time, after shutting off the ignition and waiting a short pause, it restarted and ran normally.
    exception - once, a single warning light remained lit into the next day.
  • lemon2006lemon2006 Member Posts: 2
    Whewwww!!! Finally!! Chrysler repurchased my truck back about two weeks ago and I finally recieved my check from my attorney. Good riddance to a piece of trash. Funny I just received in the mail two days ago a recall on engine stalls for my 2006 Jeep Commander Limited. I had to laugh.
  • majajhmajajh Member Posts: 4
    Fixed per service bulletin. No further problems.
  • eric02910eric02910 Member Posts: 1
    ** HELP **

I am an owner of a 2008 Jeep Commander Overland and we've been experiencing a few issues with it lately.

FIRST - Stalled on my wife while she was driving our daughter back from a Pediatricians appointment. (The Dealership stated that they fixed the stalling issue with a TSB software update)

SECOND - Sometimes it will just not start! This issue has happened to both me and my wife. Insert the Key FOB into the slot, turn, and nothing.. nadda! Usually after the 2nd or 3rd attempt the truck will start. (The truck is currently at the dealership and has been there for a week for them to try and fix the issue. They can't reproduce the problem so they don't know how to fix it.) I know my wife and I aren't crazy... We are not making this up. Sometimes the truck will just not start.

THIRD - The MyGIG DvD player freezes and locks up. When this happens you can't utilize any of the buttons, can't eject the DVD, and so far the only resolution is to turn the truck off and then back on. The dealership has replaced the MyGIG system 3 times and we still experience this issue.

Any other Commander or JGC owners experiencing the same issues? Has your dealership fixed your problem and if so what did they do?

Unfortunately its gotten to the point where this 6 month old truck with just over 5000 miles has been in for "service" more times then all of my prior Jeep Grand Cherokees combined. According to Rhode Island State Law the truck is now classified as a "Lemon" but we are hoping to not go down that path.

Anyone???

-Eric in Rhode Island
  • ginav1ginav1 Member Posts: 2
    HI there i found your post very helpful!

i have some questions for you if you you will?

what does BBB stand for and how od i contact them?

i have has so many problems with my commander.

the stalling, the window whistle, wet floors in the morining when i get into my car and it didn't rain the night before!!!! you name it! the list is so long.

how do i get in touch with the BBB?
  • ginav1ginav1 Member Posts: 2
    OK...so my commander is a piece of junk i am having all of the problems listed on this forum. they scariest of all has to be the stalling though while driving though. who knows what will happen when i make that left hand turn across traffic?????

the even more frustrating thing is....
    EVERYTIME i take it into the dealer to get fixed, they call to tell me my car is ready, i go to get it and attempt to drive it off the lot and something new is wrong with it. for example, i took it in to have my back up sensor lights fixed. when i picked it up they said nothing was wrong with it. i drove off the lot and my AC was going on and off and all my warning lights were going on and off too.

turned right around and told them what happened.

when i picked my jeep up AGAIN they told me my a.c. was not working correctly because it was my ignition switch and they had to replace it.
    i attempted to drive it off the lot and my front (power) windows wouldn't roll down!

does anybody know what the ignition switch powers????? does it have anything to do with powering my windows and other non engine things in my car???? my problems sound electrical and every time someone works on my car some new problem happens!

i am going to pick my jeep up tomorrow and i want to be prepared!!!!!!

help!

FYI- my jeep is a 2006 only has 15,000 miles on it.
  • carzinmegenescarzinmegenes Member Posts: 5
    This post is not to defend the Jeep Commander, but simply to state that my 2006 Commander is fine. None of the issues that I see on this board. Mine is a 3.7 liter with 4x4. Great looking. Ride is near perfect. Fun to drive.

Not to belittle anyone on the board, but if you are having problems your Commander within the warranty period, your remedy is to have Jeep (Chrysler) fix it. If your dealer can't or won't fix it, then you really need to get a new dealer. Chrysler rates their dealers and 5 Star dealers have to work to keep their good rating. So you should only go to a 5 star dealer IMHO.

Also, when the dealer says he fixed something (and this applies to all car repair work, whether under warranty or not) you should insist on seeing the old parts and inspecting them to assure that work was actually done. Now, if you don't know a fan blade from a wiper blade you're not going to be able to discover a possible fraud (yes dealers do sometimes say they fixed a part and don't - and still bill the warranty work out to Chrysler), but merely asking to see the parts is a good practice and if they don't have them, you know something is really not right.

Very important is that you keep all of your receipts and that your receipts have a clear description of the problems that you are encountering. If they are not fixed properly within the Original Warranty period, you have recourse against Chrysler. You have to notify them in writing, usually within 60 days of the failed repair, and the warranty will not expire as to the problem being repaired.

And just to be clear, Chrysler is not the Dealer. Dealers are independent franchises and not under the control of Chrysler at all. So if your dealer is a bum and can't or won't fix your problem, it's not Chrysler or Jeep that you should hate....But repeatedly going to a dealer that doesn't fix your car is YOUR fault. Fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.

For some reason, I get good service from my dealer and they actually fix anything that is not working. The Commander has some issues - but all car makes and models do - just go to the NHTSA site and see the list of recalls. It will blow your mind. Japanese, German, American, no one is immune.

But that is why there are warranties. And while frustrating, unnerving and even scary, the bargain made by any new car buyer with the manufacturer is that the company will pay for the repairs during the warranty period. And generally they do...unless you have a bad dealer.

Unfortunately with new models of cars such as the Commander (new in 2006), there are inevitable production problems that don't manifest themselves until thousands of vehicles are already on the road. Again...common to all car makers and models.

I see a lot of "talk" of class action suits and lemon law suits from some owners. While sometimes successful, that is no easy route to satisfaction. I've seen it many times and it compounds frustration. You think Car Dealers are frustrating?? Now you want to hire a lawyer? Wow...that's like adding salt to a wound. And by hire...I mean you enter into a contingency agreement...you haven't really paid them anything until and if you win and they get their fees. So don't expect them to jump when you want them to jump. It's just another case of many...and it's a long road...so don't expect a quick resolution.

I like my Commander. It's a great looking SUV. The fit and finish are very good, though not perfect. The ride is superlative and quiet compared to my prior Suburban. It has good power for a V6. Mileage is acceptable for the size, but is certainly not a strong point.

I would recommend the Commander. I believe I am in the vast "silent majority" here. You just don't hear from us because we aren't surfing the web searching for answers to our car problems or posting them on forums. Not to say that your problems are not legitimate, but 191 posts and there are thousands of Commanders on the road....any many of the owners are happy.

In short, take these Forums with a grain of salt. Don't be afraid to test drive a Commander. You might like it. Rent one for a weekend and see for yourself.
  • Road_RangerRoad_Ranger Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2006 commander. I love it! It has 46k miles on it. I drive everywhere for my job. I recently started driving to NH. I am from Texas. Is it normal for the engine to be so hard to start when the temperature drops below 30? I have the 3.7L and can you suggest anything that will keep my engine perfect?
  • aztazdogaztazdog Member Posts: 1
    Our jeep was recently at a animal farm, it was a dirt/dusty parking area and ever since then when we turn on the air conditioning we get this fresh from the farm odor that is not so pleasant, I don't think it ever goes away just gets more bearable.
    I understand there is is cabin air filter. Is this the source of the recurring odor? and I can't find a repair manual showing the location of this item.
    Does anyone have a diagram showing the location.
    Thanks.
  • rain5rain5 Member Posts: 1
    I actually had this same problem i was on a hill one day and my Commander just cut off. It really caught me by surprise i couldnt figure out what happened so i drove straight to the dealership and told them that i was at the light and it just cut off and they asked me if i hit the key with my knee we asked him if he was joking but he wasnt my keys never touch my knee. They claimed a lot of people hit their keys and this causes the problem.
  • chloegagechloegage Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 4.7ltr commander.. The problem started as stalling, And eventually led into transmission issues. I never recieved notice of a possible recall and now I am having to pay for a new tranmission at 40,000 miles. My warrenty was up at 36,000. Im just wondering if any one else never recieved recall info? This is crazy. Is this because my warranty was up? And they were looking to make a few bucks? Im looking into my options, Any comments would be great! Lisa
  • itabotitabot Member Posts: 105
    Read, and then haven't been able to recover, a posting that reiterates my experience, i.e., my Commander, twice now, has just refused to start. It takes about 3 attemps and then the engine starts. And, these two times are separated by months, different weather conditions, etc. the only common denominator is that i went to a different gas station than usual, called Mercury. Some people have suggested that poor gas may have been the problem.

I also noticed that when driving it in town (Westport, CT,i.e., slow going here because everyone takes great pride in driving no more than 30mph when they're not driving 25) it feels like it needs me (I'm a game theorist/international relations and not an engineer so i apologize with errors in vernacular) to put more pressure on the gas pedal, once i do that it runs more smoothly.

I spoke with local dealer where it was purchased and their mechanic who has been there for one year said that he's never seen this problem; but, now i see that there's an entire forum on the issue.

Has anyone had experiene of receiving the remedying diagnosis for this? Because it happens so infrequently, I don't want to drop off at dealer (they'll say that they can't replicate it).

Thanks,
    S.F.
  • bell3bell3 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem. I own a 2007 and have had trasmission problem and know when I try to start my car nothing. I have had to turn the key up to thirty times to get the engine started. I have know Idea what is wrong with it. My warranty is up I have 44,000 miles. I'm not every happy with this car. When I did have a warrranty the dealer never could find what was wrong. I don't know what to do. :cry: :mad:
  • gregcole91gregcole91 Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a 2008 jeep commander. No problems yet. However, the blue tooth buttons above the radio, for U-Connect, says "U-connect" unavailable when pushed. What do I have to buy/install to activate my hands free device? I have bluetooth for my cell in my other vehicle which is great. This one is for my wife and she really needs blue tooth as much as she talks?
  • bonderobondero Member Posts: 2
    There is a recall notice on this issue. You can look it up at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov. I have posted the recall summary below:

Recalls Summary

Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):
    JEEP / COMMANDER 2006
    NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 08V203000
    Summary:
    CHRYSLER IS RECALLING 24,461 MY 2006 JEEP COMMANDER VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 4.7L V8 ENGINES. THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM) WAS PROGRAMMED WITH SOFTWARE THAT MAY ALLOW THE ENGINE TO STALL UNDER CERTAIN OPERATING CONDITIONS.
    Consequence:
    THIS COULD CAUSE A CRASH WITHOUT WARNING.
    Remedy:
    DEALERS WILL REPROGRAM THE PCM SOFTWARE IN ALL 4.7L ENGINE EQUIPPED MY 2006 JEEP COMMANDERS BUILT PRIOR TO JANUARY 11, 2006. THE RECALL BEGAN ON MAY 19, 2008. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403.
    Notes:
    CHRYSLER RECALL NO. H19. CUSTOMERS MAY CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.
    THANK YOU!!!

Georgetown Jeep in Westport, CT and even Chrysler headquarters when they went through list of recalls - go figure - didn't find the one that pertained to my car!

I am looking forward to my refund and towards the car being repaired finally...

so thankful to you and so sick of Chrysler and Georgetown Jeep...i never thought that i would say this but unless they admit their error and apologize, this will be the last Jeep I purchase.
    Again, thank you!
    After dealing with Chrysler India and Chrysler Michigan from July - August and giving up all hope in September, I am now, because I could cite Recall Number H19 dealing with Chrysler in Salt Lake City and they are - go figure - actually interested in reimbursing me for the starter that I was told would solve the problem as well as getting me to a local Jeep Dealer (that is actually proud to be part of Chrysler and respectful of the taxpayer funded government bailout that is enabling Chrysler to survive and hopefully, soon to, to thrive) who will inspect my Commander and do the necessary recall repairs.
    just an update on what i thought was going to be progress regarding my Jeep Commander stall issue: with this new information about the H19 recall in hand chrysler had me begin anew, i.e., a separate complaint under a new complaint number not because anything had changed but because a few weeks had passed since i spoke with them about the complaint in the first place; also different, they had me write and mail my complaint in, and then yesterday i was told that though my complaints about the stall issue mimic'ed the H19 recall problem, because the recall was on 4.6L engines and mine is a 6.0 i was not entitled to the recall - EVEN THOUGH MY COMMANDER IS HAVING THE SAME PROBLEMS!

What's more, I asked them to put this denial into writing and send it to me for my records, and I was told in no uncertain terms by Gus (Customer Service ID: GD637)Chrysler Customer Service (telephone: 800.992.1997) that Chrystler does not have to and will not put this denial into writing.

More: i just put over $3k into this car that has less than 36k miles on it; as of a week ago, i have only owned this car for one year. It seems that - and remember, i have purchased 2 brand new jeeps from jeep since i was 16 - in order to enable these Commanders to be 'Jeeps' you have to purchcase parts from outside of jeep, i.e., i purchased the TOYO all terrain country tires and also had new brakes installed by my old Jaguar dealer, i.e., seems that Ford knows how to 'make a jeep a jeep' better than Chrysler can ;-) Of course, while i think that new brakes at this point is intolerable, I understand that the tires are something that - buyer beware - I should have seen were the cheapest 4 wheel drive tires available on the market in the US today.

Especially given the taxpayer funded government bailout of chrysler, we deserve better than this, right?
    Given the US Taxpayer Funded Government Bailout of Chrysler, our expectations of Chrysler and its affiliates is greater than if we were just customers; of course, based on our customer status alone, we are entitled to the expectation of safe and reliable cars, right?

That said, when my Commander isn't stalling, when the dashboard lights aren't blinking, and now that I have had Ford-Jaguar specialists install new Toyo tires and top line brakes, I too enjoy the ride and look of my Jeep Commander.

That said, that inorder to enable my Jeep to drive like a Jeep I have to go outside of Jeep Dealers for parts and servicing, is a sign that Chrysler is ruining the Jeep brand name, i.e., how good (not!) of an investment then is this US Taxpayer Funded Government Bailout of The Chrysler Company?
    does anyone have any idea of how to go about finding a repair shop that is not affiliated with chrysler that can repair this problem; I would think that the software issue gives chrysler a monopoly on repairing this problem, however, because of Chrysler's reluctance to address the problem inspite of a related recall, it needs to be fixed by a shop not affiliated with them.

as mentioned in another post, i have now spent over $3k at a dealer service center not affiliated with Chrysler (Ford Jaguar) on this car since the stall issue surfaced to the point of Chrysler putting in a new starter (which temporarily fixed the problem but now it is stalling again). The $3k i just spent was on toyo tires and new brake pads, and other brake repairs, i.e., i know, i know buyer beware regarding the tires but regarding the brakes, the dealer should have told me what i was getting. That said, now that the ford jaguar dealer is servicing the car, it is really becoming more and more like a real Jeep...now, to fix this stall problem.

between yesterday and today it has stalled when i was turning into traffic; in CT we can make rights on red, but i won't be doing that until this problem is fixed, because i can't be sure the car will keep going once i have made the right hand turn and have to speed up because traffic is coming up from behind me...
    far from an idiot (Oxford U; NYU; Columbia U), and 'street smart' enough to know that yes, there are others out there who can fix this problem, it's just a matter of research.

and, at this point, it's not a matter of $$$ (though it would be nice to avoid paying for this) it is a matter of this Commander being safe for me and the other drivers on the road; unfortunately, for my checking account that means I am going to have to pay to make sure that it is so because Chrysler won't do so.

essentially I am rebuilding the car on the inside to be as fabulous as it looks on the outside. Let's just hope that between now and then it doesn't stall at the wrong time, right?
  • ourjeeplifeourjeeplife Member Posts: 44
    But if I missed it, (which I'm sure I have) at the Jeep.com site (for owners) there is a "recall" check list which on would type in the last four digits of your Vin Number.. In turn the vin would search jeeps records of any issues that maybe with your vehicle. Assuming that whom ever had the vehicle to began with maintain it properly and registered the vin with jeep.

I ran the test earlier today and found no issue with Our Commander. This doesn't mean it wont happen just means Jeep is unaware of any issue with my 07 Commander One reason companies give you warranty cards to fill out just to cover your butts and a way for the dealer to contact you in case of a recall or safety issue.