Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Commander Start Stall and Idle Problems

Comments

• jenh1jenh1 Member Posts: 21
    Call the 800 number and open a complaint - it's the only way to get them recalled. My dealership just attempted to fix mine. They said the had to update the computer system...basially, I e-mailed them the 9 pages of complaints on this site....they said they spent two hours reading through all of them and that one of the fixes seemed to have given some results based on what they read.. They said they can't promised that it's fixed, but to keep them posted. They are seem to be taking us seriously. Basically, we just need to complain to the National Highway safety patrol and jeep.
    Call the National Highway Safety people or go to their website to file a complaint. These are the people who will make them recall the vehicle. This is their phone number
    1-888-327-4236.
  • kellimkellim Member Posts: 4
    Most of you haven't stated exactly what Commander you are driving. It seems like I had read this problem was mainly found in 2006 V8 models. Is that correct? I'm shopping the 2007 V6 models and just want to know where the issues you are describing typically occur. Thanks so much and good luck to you all!
  • jklightnerjklightner Member Posts: 10
    Mine is a 2006 4.7 V8. Things to check, does your dash die? No fuel or coolant gauge? No message in the lower right message center? No miles on the Odometer? Only the Gear Indicator on? That is what mine was doing and the problem (so I was told) was the connector for the iginiton switch was not seated correctly. Since then, it has been working fine. Something to have your dealer check out.
  • kjones2kjones2 Member Posts: 6
    I appreciate the information everyone has shared - until I found this site, I thought my Commander was the only one with problems. My 2006, 4.7/V8 has had the windshield noise, 3 inoperable seatbelts, rt. power window malfuntion, and stalling x9 - the last time it went dead as I was driving in traffic. I am appalled at the lack of concern I have received from the dealership and Chrysler. Although they have tried multiple fixes for the stalling, nothing has worked. Their standard response seems to be "we couldn't duplicate the problem".
    Mine is also a 2006, 4.7/8 Limited. It has not done any of the dash board things, however, it is in the shop again for the stalling and a squeaking noise coming from the engine. (Apparently some sort of belt problem). Our dealership is incredibly helpful, however, they too can't seem to get the problem to duplicate. It is very, very frustrating. We have sent them this site/link to review. Pass this site and info onto your dealership. Maybe if the dealers make enough noise they will recall them!
  • hcrouchhcrouch Member Posts: 1
    I had my 2006 Commander Limited 4.7/V8 in the shop for the stalling problem last summer and they replaced something and said that they thought it was the problem but couldn't be sure. Haven't had the problem again until this morning. I wasn't in the car the first time it happened but I was driving it today and to be honest I am a little scared to drive it again. The dealership is no help and won't even look at it until next week. I have filed a complaint with the NHTSA as well as Chrysler. The dealership claims to have never heard of the issue. It just really sucks to pay so much for a car your scared to drive and when I take it in they keep it for at least a week everytime. Had it in last month for an issue with my stereo just turning off. They replaced the stereo unit and it is still just turning off. Took over a week to get it back then.

Anyway, Just wondering if anyone has had any luck with a fix yet. I mentioned all the forums about the problem to the dealership and they said that it doesn't matter cause they don't know if it's the same problem.

Thanks for any advice!
  • jules15jules15 Member Posts: 1
    Luckily I just gave back my jeep...(military, SSCRA..deployment not so lucky). I had a 2006 v6 2wd 4K miles and I had no idea this was such a big problem. My vehicle has stalled many time and I thought at first I might've been hitting the key. I paid close attention to the possibility of "hitting" the key and then thought maybe something voo-doo was happening because we live by a military base. I also experienced problems/ loud noises putting the shifter in or out of park...like the engine was falling out of the vehicle. The windshield also hummed so loud I thought the police were following me and I couldnt even hear the radio. The dealer replaced the seal because they are faulty on the 06 Commanders. I've also had problems with the cheap back seat lever that open the back to climb into the 3rd row seating area. The dealer also replaced that..but it was starting to do it again.

I did have this stalling problem with my 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4wd v6 now that I think about it...it happened when I went from 65MPH to a turning speed to take a corner. It was very dangerous as other vehicles were following. I have to admit I love the way Jeep looks and feels. I just wish they could figure out their kinks before sending the vehicle out. They had a lot of problems with the new body Jeep Grd Chk's coming out in 1999. That was why I waited until 2003 to buy once they had worked out all of the problems.

Overall, I have to say I have driven many vehicles and I bought this one because it was such a good deal and pretty too... I do prefer the Toyota 4Runner mechanically. the 4Runner just didnt have the standard 3rd row seat. It was 1000x quieter and smoother to drive. Just costs more for even the base model. Sometimes we sacrifice.
  • willy2004willy2004 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Commander 3.7/V6. I have had it for one year and it has stalled at least 10 times. I have brought it back to the dealer 2 times and they since they can not simulate the problem, they have no idea how to fix it. I've called Daimler Chrysler and they were not interested either. The car is unsafe and not fit to be on the road as it is definitely a safety hazard and an accident waiting to happen. Anyone know of a fix for the 3.7/V6 stalling problem?
  • hjayhjay Member Posts: 5
    I read in some of the other post about the tps (Throttle Position Sensor) I have some of the problems that some of the people were having on the post. My question is what tool do you use to get the TPS off. One salesman told me a torque. Is this the right tool. The part looks very easy to replace. Can someone help me with this?
    Thanks
    hjay
  • adman518adman518 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks so much. Tomorrow we were about to buy a "new" 06 loaded Commander. It has a Sticker of $45,000, but they are asking $33,995 but I sure done need all of the hassels that you have all had.

We have owned German cars for years any have not bought american because of lacking quality. (currently looking to trade an ML320 that now has just turned 100,000 miles. Until just recently it has been very trouble free and a nice car all around. We were thinking of just getting something different and the Jeep looked nice. We are also looking at the Lexus GX470, the X5, the Hummer and the LR3 does anyone have any feedback on any of them?

Thanks
  • bassman8bassman8 Member Posts: 14
    Willy2004,
    What exactly are you doing when the car stalls? What is the ambient temp? How fast are you going etc? What indicator lights are on? Does the dash go out as well? Have you read about the possibility of your knee hitting the ignition switch or key?

Thanks
    Bassman8
  • staycstayc Member Posts: 2
    :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
    Honestly, I have a loaded 06 Commander it has been in for service countless times for stalling!!! They send it back to me EVERYTIME with NOTHING done!
    Midway Jeep is no help and I think they are bunch of buffoons , not to mention SO clueless.
    There are times when it happens I think I will be rear ended! This is a car I will not ever buy again or any car from that for that matter .
    I just got it from Midway Friday and it stalled again on Sunday.... just called the service manager (7am Monday)he said there is nothing he can do!!! Are you kidding me???

Does anyone out there have any ideas for me. He claimed that I was the only one that has had this problem.... sure---I told him to read this link his reply was he doesn't have time for that. Sure I guess when you are busy doing nothing!!
    Anyway..... any ideas!????? :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
    stayc,
    If you think they are a bunch of buffoons, go to a different dealer. Any Chrysler dealer can service your car, not just the one that sold it to you. Second, ask them to put a data recorder in the car and you can push a button when it stalls. That way, the dealer can look at what was happening when it did stall.

Bassman
  • staycstayc Member Posts: 2
    I will suggest what you said thanks---has this happened to you as well with the Commander???
    Hi everyone! Just an update on my 06 Commander that was stalling. I am happy to say that mine has not stalled since the last fix. Please tell your dealership to call Ed Voyles Jeep in Marietta, Georgia and ask to speak to Krissy in service. Her phone number 770-429-1100. I am not sure what she will think of me giving out their dealerships number, but I have to say they have taken FANTASTIC care of us. They have trusted us, believed us and done everything in their power to fix it....in fact, I sent them the link to this site so that they could see what had been done to other cars to try and fix the problem so that they wouldn't waste time retrying something that didn't work. I may still dislike my car, but their willingness to admit there is a problem and work to correct it has made it a little better. They were never able to duplicate it, but I guess there was enough of us on the blog and enough other weird stuff with my car, that they moved forward. Apparently, the Grand Cherokee has a stall problem. So, whatever they did to fix that is what they did to fix mine. I know at one point, they took my transmission out - they really OVERHAULED, LOOKED AND RESEARCHED to find this fix. I still think that we all need to tell the National Highway Safety people about our problems, but in the meantime, have your dealership call the dealership I have been dealing with and maybe they can get it fixed. Let's keep our fingers crossed that it really works - it's been about a month!
  • tori2tori2 Member Posts: 3
    Once again my 2006 Jeep Commander Limited stalled on me. This time I was in heavy traffic in NY with a huge truck behind me!!! I went to the dealer and they cannot get the truck to stall so they think I am crazy. I was told the computer never registered a problem and they cannot duplicate it so there is nothing that can be done. How am I suppose to travel to work and not worry about my safety? I have done some research and have found that the NHTSA is conducting their own investigation. It was really simple. It takes about 10 minutes on the phone (888-327-4236) or you can email a complaint. They have quite a few people who have already complained.
    Unfortunately my service company will not call another state to figure out how other dealers are trying to fix this problem like the one blog suggested.
    I found on the consumers affairs website that two stalls have resulted in accidents. Though you might want to know since I am just as frustrated as you.
    Take your car back to the dealer and insist that they install a Star Mobile Data recorder in your vehicle and show you how to trigger it. It's very simple, just push a button when it happens. If you are able to reproduce the event yourself it will save the dealer time in trying to fix it. You might also suggest that they call STAR center and ask to speak with someone who knows about the stalling issue. There is a questionnaire that can be faxed to the dealer to get some specifics about the incident.
  • obiepatobiepat Member Posts: 1
    JUST GETTING READY TO LEASE A 2007 COMMANDER. v6
    SHOULD I BE CONCERNED ABOUT STALLING. THIRD ROW IS OK FOR 3 AND 5 YR OLD GRANDS. CERTAINLY NOT MUCH STORAGE, I LIKED THE RIDE AND THE FEEL. WHAT IS THE BEST PRICE FOR THIS SUV?
    I would be careful!!!! my commander has been in the shop for almost a month with no way to fix the stalling problem. its almost time for my lawyer to pursue the lemon law because i do not want an unsafe vehicle.
  • tardifftardiff Member Posts: 2
    My 2006 Commander started the same patter of stalling. Took it to the dealer and they stated that it needed a new software drop in the computer. They did a download and I have not had any issues for the past 8 months. So go for the software download.
  • rudakorudako Member Posts: 3
    I had my commander stall at only 600 miles. I took it to the dealership and they found no problems, no codes were registered on the computer, they said. I took it home and the next day I had more problems with it. The AC did not work, the temp gauge was not working, the front differential is making a weird sound, the cooling fan goes on full blast for 5 minutes before I can leave my drive way. As if that was not enough, Yesterday while driving home from work, it started making a loud hissing sound from under the hood. I noticed that it only happened at certain speeds against the wind. Has anyone else had this problem? Please help, thanks
    I have experienced the same things that most of you all have experienced. When it sits overnight or for more than 8 hours my truck starts rough. But every now and then when I started it up in the morning it runs smoothier than the rough start. Don't have a clue to that. If its a hot day and I am in traffic with stop and start it starts stalling and bucking. When I put my foot on the brake the oil guage goes down close to zero. Then if I take off slow it will go back to the middle of my oil guage. When my truck buck it give a poot noise in the back. Sometimes smell fumes. I think Chrysler should recall these trucks. I will take some of the information that I have read in other post. But I think we need to let Chrysler know that need to recall our Jeeps. So if theres a website to go to report them let me know. I'm in for signing it.
    HJay
    HJay,
    This particular forum is for 2006 XK Commanders, not 1995 Laredos. Your issues are completely different from most reported here. Your car is 12 years old and has technology from that era. It shouldn't be hard to diagnose your bucking concerns if you take it to a competent tech. Smelling fumes may mean there are other things that need to be looked at. Has it been in the shop recently to be checked over?

Bassman8
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Try Jeep Grand Cherokee Starting and Stalling Problems.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • nostymosnostymos Member Posts: 1
    My 06 Commander has hesitated numerous times on left turns. From a complete stop, if I punch the gas 3/4 of the way to make the left before oncoming traffic, that's when it happens. The dealer stated that they cannot duplicate it, that if there is no code, they cannot figure out the problem. On the whistling, they can fix it. I believe they replace the windshield strip from a smooth strip to one with a groove on it to eliminate the whistling. When I mentioned the noise, they had a smug look on their face like they knew about the problem, but they didn't want to fix it unless you complained about it, twice. By the way, the gas milage on this thing stinks.
  • rozlynkrozlynk Member Posts: 1
    Do not buy a jeep if you value your life or anyone else's The Jeep Commander is numerous fatalities waiting to happen, and Daimler Chrysler doesn't seem to care. We bought a 4x4 Feb. 15, and it has completely turned itself off 5 times. The last time was two weeks ago, at 45 mph, down a steep grade in traffic. No brakes or steering whatsoever, no electricity-it literally turns itself off, and you have to come to a complete stop, put it in park, and turn it on again. The service department can't find a thing wrong (no codes on their diagnostics); the regional service manager won't do a thing, and the dealer will generously offer is an $11,000 loss on a trade in! Their solution:just keep driving it! Chrysler sucks and read the blogs, folks, they don't care if people die either. This car is a death trap and they could care less. I'm ready for an attorney. Don't buy one if you want peace and to stay alive.
    Excuse me. I thought that this was a forum for Jeeps. I didn't know that your vehicle had to be a 06 and a commander. But I have had stalling problems too. No need to ask if I have taken it to the shop because you just told me that my car is too old to be on this forum. So I assuming you can't really tell me anything. I glad to know that mine is 12 yrs old and doing this than to have a 06 commander doing this and payin car notes. Thanks I will go to the forum where we have 1995 Jeeps.
    H.Jay
    I know how frustrated everyone is... to be honest, we have had our Jeep for a year now and it's amazing how much it has been in the shop - we are currently dealing with an airbag issue - the light comes on and apparently it is something in the seatbelt that has to be fixed. I blows my mind that Jeep has not recalled these cars...unfortunetly, I do believe someone will have to die (or be seriously injured and sue) for that to happen. We did finally get some resolution to our stalling - I am not sure what they did, but it involved taking out our entire transmission. Apparently the Grand Cherokee had the problem and they tried that fix on my Commander. It has been acting a bit sluggish lately, so I don't know if the problem is coming back, but for now, I have not been stalling.

The only option that I know we can try is to report the problems to the National Highway Safety Patrol/Commission. I think if they get enough complaints, the have to recall the Jeep. Either way, we are all out the money, because all a recall will do is mean they have to fix the problem. We are currently in the same bad financial situation with our car - we still owe $27,000 and it's a year old. We talked about trying to sell it ourselves, but why would people do that when they can buy a new one for 0% financing at a dealership. I am definitely going back to foreign made cars after I get rid of this...I had a Sienna before and it had one problem in 7 years....it was a recall regarding oil sludge, they fixed it and that was it....Good Luck everyone!
  • bostonu93bostonu93 Member Posts: 1
    Wow I've gone through exactly the same thing with my 2006 Commander. Initially it would stall while slowing after a warm start. They replaced a few components in the transmission and it was fine for a few weeks but now it is sluggish again. Yesterday I was almost hit pulling out of a parking lot because it would not accelerate. I went through the entire FL lemon process when it was stalling and they used up their final repair attempt. Arbitration is next.
  • carguy42carguy42 Member Posts: 6
    I am a service guy at a chrysler dealer this isnt as common at it sounds i do have one in my shop at this time doing what your all talking about.the issue we have is per chrysler we cant replace anything unless we find a problem.i know the owner of this jeep and believe it does stall i just cant get that to happen and we have put 100 miles on her jeep.chrysler (star center) will call me back with what to do next i will let you all know
    Flash: 4.7L - Vehicle Driveability Enhancements And DTC P0068 Or P2074 this is what were attempting at this time will let you know
    Please let us know how that works...Mine has stopped stalling, but is definitely sluggish and not driving well. Any fixes for the windows? My passenger window bounces back - it's been fixed three times - it just did it again last weekend. Thanks for the info.
  • kjones2kjones2 Member Posts: 6
    With my jeep a year old, it has spent almost 2 months in the shop and has had multiple problems. By far, the stalling has been the most frustrating. After the last incidence of it shutting off as I was driving, I filed Lemon Law (it's been in enough for the same thing to qualify). Working with Chrylser's legal dept. has been no better than trying to deal with customer service. My file was "misplaced" for 4 months by Chrysler. So, we continue to wait for them to do the right thing by consumers.
  • docmac25docmac25 Member Posts: 1
    06 Commander another with the same problems, all the lights on the dash light up and the car starts to stall. It never stalls, but you can tell it is close. My dealer is unable to duplicate and says they haven't had this problem before. I am going to direct them too this site.
    I am sooo- beyond frustrated with my car. Mine was a year old in June, so I am passed the Lemon Law. My passenger window is messed up for the 5th time...my airbag light won't go off, it's riding really rough, it feels/sounds like I need new brakes. If anyone has any additional thoughts, please let me know...we still owe $23,000 on the car, so a trade in is really not an option and I am not sure we could sell it for that...any thoughts???
    jen put window and hold drivers switch in up poistion for 10 sec.then roll it down and hold down window switch for 10 sec that will reset computer.when you go to dealer ask them to check for tsb"s that apply to your jeep (techinal service bulletin)they will see the previous flash (update)
    sounds like there is a wiring problem poss going to pcm that is grounding out on metal when car turns or the computer has a bad pin in the connector.chrysler has things called copilots if anybody wants to know how this works just drop me a line i will explain how it records data and all that other tech fun stuff
  • e741e741 Member Posts: 3
    My wife called me yesterday terrified because her 06 with the 4.7 pulled the stalling scenario on this forum. Two things on this-
    First - She was turning into a parking lot doing off of a busy street and nearly hit another vehicle when she lost PS & PB - The car is at the dealership now. I can tell you if anything happens to my family due to Jeep ignoring this issue, I will spend my life letting people know how negligent they are.

Secondly - Has anyone heard that this may be an electrical issue? We have also had the AC working intermittenly and "Service 4x4" light come on.

The irony is that I really do like the car- but I will not endanger my family's life.
    Sounds like you might be a candidate for a software flash for the PCM. The last two digits of the PCM part number should be AI, if it isn't, it needs to be updated.
    What you are talking about would make perfect sense if in fact it was what you were saying...the problem is that when you take your Jeep in, they can't duplicate the problem and the records data doesn't show the problem. Apparently the Grand Cherokee had a similar problem; they have taken mine apart and tried that fix. I am happy to say it has not stalled anymore, however it recently starting acting very, very sluggish and driving rough. Why is it that these vehicles have not be recalled????
    Just an FYI...I contacted the National Highway Safety people today to see what has to be done to get this care recalled...apparently, it is being investigated. There are currently 179 complaints regarding the 06 Jeep Commander with them right now - but I guess they need more. She said it's not how many, but I can't believe they would have that many and not recall. Make sure you log on our call and report your problem. Just google the National Highway Safety Commission and it will pull up the site.
  • gewilliamsgewilliams Member Posts: 1
    We've had our 06 Commander for 2 months (used not new). It has been in the shop 5 times now. We've had the windshield replaced 2x, gas tank replaced, new starter, air vent fixed 2x and that is on top of the stalling issues. It has stalled 7 times in these two months. The worse was rush hour, middle lane... it completely died on me and lost all power... I only got over to the shoulder by God's grace. We have filed twice with the National Highway Safety Commission. Does anyone have any new information on this unfortunate issue we all share i.e. recall info?
  • e741e741 Member Posts: 3
    Is there a way to tell myslef what the part number is for the PCM flash, or do I have to trust (which I don't) my dealer to get it for me?

I did get the car back from the dealership. He had indicated that they have seen this a few times. But just like everyone else there were no codes and of course it could not be reproduced. They did swap out the ignition switch, which he said seems to have been successful in the past.
    I do not have any new info about a recall. What does the person investigating your claim say? There are almost 200 people that have files a report with the NHS people. Mine is going back into the shop on Monday for various problems..airbag light is on, right window is bouncing back again, sluggish driving, brakes rubbing, etc. I know that Chrysler does not put out an "official bulletin" until they have a fix to the problem. Sadly, they don't know how to fix it. My dealership says that they have had a good amount of luck with what they did to mine...you may want to have your service/dealer call mine. (Ed Voyles Chry/Jeep in Marietta, GA.) to see if that would work. It is definately a very scarey problem. My issue is that when you buy a $30K plus car, you really should not have this type of situation. We still owe $24K, and I am afraid we are stuck with it until we owe under $20 - and ever then, we'll take a beating on the depreciation. Oh well, live and learn...I'm going back to Toyota after this...my Siena went into the shop once and it was a recall issue. Other than that, it ran like a dream for 7+ years!
    There might be a sticker on the outside of the PCM module case that the dealer should put there after the flash, but not all dealers consistently do it. Without that, you would have to use a STAR scan to get the part number. Depending on when your car was built, it may have an AG suffix PCM. What you want is an AI. The dealer knows how to check and perform any updates. If you don't like the dealer you've been going to, choose another in your area. You don't have to go to the selling dealer for service.
    That is almost certainly an ESP event, the way you describe it happening. If you don't understand how ESP works, have the dealer explain it to you or read up on it in your owner's manual. It is designed to prevent wheel spin, it reduces engine power which may feel like a hesitation but it's really keeping the vehicle under control.
    Okay fellow Jeep owners...I have a new tip for you. Call your state Governer's Office of Consumer Affairs. They will clarify what your rights are...it turns out that even though my car is over a year old, I still qualify for the Lemon Law in Georgia. It also turns out, that my dealership was not completely honest with what things qualify. It turns out that one stall/fix attemt with a second stall is enough to qualify. It is a simple (3) step process in our state. I will keep everyone posted. The first step is to get a copy of your vehicles history and get a clear vision of how many attempts were given to fix each problem. Good Luck!
    P.S. There were too other organizations with my state that I was told to call, I am sure they are in each state, so let me know if you need more info.
    in my state it works very different but also the same fact will be true in your state.you can bring it in a million times in less than a year if i dont replace any parts or put on the repair order no problem found unable to duplicate customers concern at this time. those repair attempts dont count.and when you go to court with repair orders that state that they promptly throw them out of the case and 99.9 percent chrysler wins lemon law cases.i was involed in one buy back of the commander and it was because the left window quit working three times and we put three different parts in.its very tough to get them to recall something like this because in their eyes they dont know why it stalls just like everybody else.good luck all