Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru B9 Tribeca Navigation System Questions

Comments

• cluelesspacluelesspa Member Posts: 648
    the link is in the latest Subaru Insider Newsletter I just received yesterday...

http://store.kenwoodusa.com/subaru/
  • zhangbozhangbo Member Posts: 3
    Go online to Kenwood store to purchase Version 2.0. Their url is http://store.kenwoodusa.com/subaru/ cost $238, I just one and geting delivered today so I have not seen it yet, I am hoping it'll cover many of the roads that the old version misses and even have a new look like bird-view or current traffic status check function. We will see.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    new look like bird-view or current traffic status check function.

I guarantee it doesn't have any sat-nav traffic info, you would need to have sat radio for this and I don't believe they had the hardware for that, as for 3-d view, I don't think that is part of the upgrade either.

-mike
  • megreyhairmegreyhair Member Posts: 154
    No bird's eye view....
    No traffic update.. or at least not in the US release...
    The UK version of the Kenwood nav has that built-in and its free... Here in the US however, like most other stuff, will cost you even if when it is supported by the nav.

Yes.. it does have newer roads and fixes alot of errors. My house actually shows up in the correct place and not my neighbor's house 100 yard down the block
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    This technology will evolve, MSN has a service now that only costs $50 per year. In a couple of years this technology will begin to mature and we'll have many more options.

Having said that, the Tribeca offers XM radio so it can't possibly be that hard for them to upgrade to this service.
    Did the older Tribeccas have XM built in? Also just cause a radio is "XM Ready" doesn't necessarily mean that it's fully integrated into the radio with the necessary connections etc.

It's still a few years off I think before it's come around to full integration.

It'll get there though.

-mike
    Gotcha, I've never tried one myself.

I'm curious, though, what makes it XM ready, vs. Sirius ready? What's the difference, then?
    I believe "ready" means you can hook-in and "control" the XM or Sirius channels via your radio. I guess the protocols are different for each one. A lot of aftermarket folks have been using the sat-input for connecting in MP3 Players and/or IPODs, but only as an audio input w/o the actual controls.

-mike
  • elikasadamelikasadam Member Posts: 10
    Can you please tell how to play dvd on nav screen when parked? I stil can't get it work. Thanks.
    Eli
    How do set it up though?
  • cluelesspacluelesspa Member Posts: 648
    To watch normally when in Park, you just need to make sure you have the Parking Brake on with the car in Park.

you then select from the display button on the dash near the volume knob the Rear Audio Button and it will toggle the display to show the rear audio grey type screen. hit it again and it should show the DVD if you have one in the DVD Player in the back.
    Thank you very much! I will try it.

By the way, do you know how to set up the garage door in the Tribeca? I just got the car, but did not come with the owner's manual. I just ordered one and it will take a week to get it. Thanks again.
    Thanks!
  • googzgoogz Member Posts: 7
    I'm looking at the 08 Tribeca and wondering if anyone knows if I don't get the NAV package with Rear Vision Cam, can I have a cam installed and function through the existing Tribeca screen? If so, where and how much? Also, would this function the same as the factory Tribeca Cam in that it would automatically display once the vehicle is put into Reverse?

Thanks for any help...it's just that I'm interested in the Rear Vision Cam but not really the NAV so I'd prefer not to have to pay for the NAV package just to get the rear vision cam!
    I'm just guessing but I doubt the screen has the same resolution, so probably not.
  • scottny69scottny69 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have the navigation dvd east coast version 2.0 that they don't need and would give up? I'd pay the shipping costs!

thanks
  • awd_envyawd_envy Member Posts: 2
    I could put it up on torrent for you.
  • occkingoccking Member Posts: 346
    What do you mean by "torrent" I wouldn't mind getting the east coast version & if ever could find someone that wanted west coast version would share the cost. I don't plan on ever going that far west!
  • beanandmebeanandme Member Posts: 26
    Hi, I need only the west coast upgrade disc. How would you work that out logistically? The shipping costs might defeat the savings...
    :)
    You have to have the parking brake engaged, and push the audio button below the nav screen
    Well, it would seem as though one of us would have to purchase the upgrade than work out a deal to sell the half not needed to the other party. I haven't looked into this for a while, but if I recall they well for something like $220 or so. Just a simple matter of paying the postage, even if US overnight that would only take a day or so for $16 or so. Everything should be split down the middle, including the extra postage cost so maybe $234 or so for each of us?? Only problem is, who is going to trust who? I am not suggesting either one of us is "not trustworthy" but one of us would have to pay for the whole thing than collect half the cost from the other party.

I think I have an idea on how this could be accomplished... One of us would send a check made out to the other & get it to an independent Subaru dealer ( I have plenty near me in Providence, Rhode Island, and you may have some near you as well) & agreed they would hold the check until proof that the other party has mailed out the disk.

Maybe I am making this confusing, I know I can be trusted to mail the West Coast portion to you, and it may very well you could do the same thing on your end. Your thoughts???
    How about if I buy it, then post an ebay "buy it now" ad for the east coast disc. If you have a paypal account, that would work out nicely.
    : )
  • sweetpetesweetpete Member Posts: 15
    Why don't you guys just call Subaru and request a free upgrade? I did, lots of other folks here did, and got it a few days later.
    I have never really used e bay before, but I think my son could figure things out. First though, I am going to call the Subaru dealer who regularly services my car & see if they are offering the upgrade for free, or maybe a lesser price. The dealer I purchased the car from (Carla Subaru, Pawtucket, RI) went belly up several months ago but I have be getting all my service work done at Somerset Subaru, Somerset, MA including major tuneups and brake work. Maybe paying a bit more but I have plenty of Subaru bucks available. Get back to this board shortly if I would still have interest. Have you figured out what the cd sells for yet?
  • hsleeminghsleeming Member Posts: 1
    I couldn't find where this has been answered so I'll ask. Has anyone replaced the info screen with an aftermarket nav? And 1) do you loose the information you used to get on that screen/can the info be sent to an aftermarket nav? 2) what happens to the buttons on the console for radio functions? do they just not work anymore? 3) does an aftermarket double din unit fit up there in the dash where the screen was?
    I don't want the factory nav but do want an aftermarket as long as it does not cost thousands of dollars for installation...
    Thank you for your ideas.
  • trailguy100trailguy100 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 06 5-passenger B9. Does anyone know of an after market NAV system that can be installed and use the in-dash display?
  • subaru_fansubaru_fan Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    I am willing to try it. I need a West version of the disk.
    Contact me lbacker@juno.com .
  • ordethordeth Member Posts: 1
    Could you please put it up as a torrent? My mom really needs it!

ord_eth_786@gmail.com

remove the 2 "_" for my email
  • normstormsnormstorms Member Posts: 8
    Has anyone updated to 2.0 Nav? Is there any real difference from version 1.1? The new software is $238.00 and I didn't know if it was worth it. :confuse:
    Any chance you can E-mail it? Or provide a link to download it.

Thank you
  • sweetpetesweetpete Member Posts: 15
    >> Has anyone updated to 2.0 Nav? Is there any real difference from version 1.1? The new software is $238.00 and I didn't know if it was worth it.

Just send an email to Subaru Customer Support (on their website) and request a free upgrade. I did, as did many other people. Also, to the person(s) requesting a bit torrent to download the DVDs, I don't think Subaru would approve of having their software pirated.
    IT'S TRUE!!!

I asked my dealer about this, he said no way would they give away free upgrades.

I called customer service a few days ago they also gave me the same reply

However, I wrote a very short e mail to customer service explaining that the cd I received with my 06 Tribeca was quite outdated and I had heard that they are giving them no charge. Her was her response. I really have no use for the west coast version so if someone wants to post on this board their info, I will mail it no charge after I receive mine

Dear Mr. .......

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. As a Onetime Goodwill Gesture, we would like to provide you with the updated discs for the Navigation System for free. You should expect them by UPS ground in a week or two.

The control unit for the Navigation System is underneath the driver's seat of your 2006 Tribeca. Going from the front of your vehicle, get under the seat to install the new disc. Lift up the protective, silver cover and hit the eject button. That is all you need to do to remove the old disc and install the new disc.

Thank you for the opportunity to show you Subaru of America's appreciation for your purchase of a 2006 Tribeca model. We wish you many safe and happy miles in your Tribeca.

Sincerely,
    Subaru of America, Inc.
    Customer/Dealer Services Department
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    YOUR ORIGINAL MAIL:

Hello, I was told Subaru can provide me with a free for my Nav System. The one in the vehicle is quite outdated. Do not require West Coast Version, only East Coast

Please advise.
    First name: .....
    Last name: ...
    Thank you for your reply. I took your advise and contacted Subaru and I will wait to see how that goes, I hope that they will send the upgraded disc's. As for the website Torrent, I had never heard of them and I am not comfortable with downloading anything so that is out of the question. I appreciate your help and I hope that I can return the favor.

Regards :)
  • abqtribecaabqtribeca Member Posts: 1
    Still have your West coast version? Please email charsotherhalf@comcast.net and I'll send you my mailing information. If I'm too late, thanks any how...
    I have to wait and see if I get the new discs. I saw some on ebay for sale. Search Subaru navigation on ebay to find them.
    To all! I just received updated cd for subaru nav system. It took quite some time to get this for no charge, and I woudn't mind receiving a little compensaton for my efforts. I have no use at all for the west coast disc, thus would sell, or perhaps give away. So, any takers out there????

By the way, there doesn't seem to be much difference between the original and the new version. I see they made one correction eliminating a street near where I live that never existed in the first place, but other than that until I do some traveling & get to use it for a while not sure if any significant changes. Keep you all posted. I don't know if I am supposed to use this forum to sell Subaru Tribeca products, but I feel it is wise to inform all readers about my experiences with the Nav System & my efforts to get the updated discs from Subaru at no cost. The dealers around here don';t stock them and it took a few calls to Subaru Customer Service to get them. Perhaps reason I got them no charge is that on my second Subaru.
    Have had new cd for nav system, so far they seem to have some corrections in the map, one street that was shown on old system that didnt really exist is gone, so I suppose they made several corrections. Only other difference seems to be on the screen the full screen seems to change automatically to a split screen, at times when approaching a turn that will be required. Never did that on the old one. Also, there is a buttom on right hand side always available to push (if you have a destination programmed) that a voice will give you info on the next turn. That in spite of the fact that I have the sound turned off. Lastly, there is a new button you can press that will give longitude and latitude! Don't know how much use that one will get. What I still miss, when I used to use my Garmin Street Pilot was something that would always show the speed, average speed since last reset, and, the altitude. I found the last one interesting to use. On Mass Pike towards NY border there is a sign that you are at the highest point on I90, west of a point in South Dakota. Don't remember what the altitude on the sign is (I think around 2200' and that Garmin used to be accurate within 5'/

Oh well, if I discover any other changes will advise. No one seems to want to pay me for the west coast version so if someone can somehow get me their info I will probably mail it to them, no charge. I don't believe my Tribeca will ever get west of the Mississippi
  • jsallinjsallin Member Posts: 1
    Do you still have the west coast version? I would be interested in acquiring as Subaru is telling me they won't give to me. Email me at jsallin2000@yahoo.com if you still have it.

Thanks
  • ilushka03ilushka03 Member Posts: 9
    Do you still have the west coast cd?

email me at: eli032002@yahoo.com

Thanks,
    Sorry, Sold it (for $50) to a guy in Colorado a few weeks ago. Write to Subaru Customer Service, say nice things about your Tribeca. Tell them you are considering buying another one. Tell them you had a Subaru previously (that was true in my case) I think the reason they gave me one no charge was because I had purchased my vehicle new (was actually a demo) I think that sealed the deal. Be persistent; I had heard others got it no charge. They should provided updated versions for no charge, that is the right thing to do.

Steve
    Anybody have tried the 3.0 version???

Anyone have West Cost dvd (updated version 2.0 or 3.0) that would be willing to sell it???

Thanks,

Eli
  • kmartinkmartin Member Posts: 427
    I would be willing to part with my 2.0 discs. Email me privately.

-Karen-
    Hi there,

Anybody wants to part with the 3.0 upgrade? I need "West coast" disc...

If anyone have bought a set and is willing to sell the west coast email me privetly.

Eli
  • miked28miked28 Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if you ever got an answer to this? I have tried to find a way to be able to do this. Being able to input info while the vehicle is in motion. Frustrating that you have to stop to enter info, when the passenger is sitting there doing nothing? Other vehicles allow you to this and they also dont have the stupid "agree" button at start up?
    You can always input the last four destinations while traveling. So what I usually do before leaving is program the few locations I know I will be going to that day, than click on previous destinations and you will find the four recent ones. Also you can get POI info & some maps while buzzing along.
    Hi, I'm really late but if you still have the west coast CD, I'll send you a pre paid envelope to mail it to me
    : )
  • nailgirlnailgirl Member Posts: 1
    Help! I just got my 06 Tribeca on Tues. I have the owners manual but it says nothing about the navigation sys. How do I set the clock. It is an hour ahead and it is on military time. Also, I hear that the nav 'talks' but I hear nothing. I've been playing with the system but there is sooo much. I guess I'm going to have to purchase the operating guide for this nav because my car did not come w/one. Any help appreciated. Lisa
  • subaru_fansubaru_fan Member Posts: 3
    First press "Menu" button on a car's front panel.
    Then using the touch screen choose "MENU" -> "Navigation Set Up"-> "Set Clock".
  • ylzylz Member Posts: 45
    Hello everyone. Am thinking about buying a 2008 5pas limited Tribeca and I'm trying to decide whether or not to get the Nav system. I heard mixed reviews about it but mostly bad.They say such things like: the screen is too far away from the driver to even be useful, it's hard to use and gives inaccurate information, etc.... i mean I'm pretty simple, don't need a state of the art device here but I wanna make sure it at least works and is not too much a pain to use. Should I just get an after market one? Someone with a nav please comment on this. Thanks.
    It's a tough call, because the built-in screen is a nice 7" size, and includes a backup camera. It's a reach but it's still very easy to use, IMHO.

I had a loaner for a week and loved it. We called it "Becky" for the soft voice it had.

It's a bit expensive as an option, though, and so are the updates, $230 for the latest set.

We have owned 3 different portable Garmin GPS systems. First a c320, then a c340, and now a Nuvi 200W for wide. We still have the 2 latest ones.

Portables go from car to car, and we have 3 cars in our fleet so that really helps. You can also take it with you on vacation out of state, or even to Europe if you buy those maps.

For $500-700, the portables also offers traffic information, movie show times, gas prices, etc. That would buy you a high end Nuvi, basically.

I paid just $200 for the Nuvi 200W, the W meaning widescreen, so it's 4.3". Still not 7", and no backup cam. Mine has very basic features, so it won't read street names, for instance.

I say it's a matter of different strokes for different folks. The huge screen and backup cam alone may justify the Tribeca's NAV system. The voice is lovely, too. In fact I still miss "her". ;)