Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru B9 Tribeca Navigation System Questions

Comments

• pdierkspdierks Member Posts: 4
    If you end up not giving the cd's back, let me know how much you want for the pkg.
  • rs6errs6er Member Posts: 11
    It makes no difference whatsoever which DVD is in the NAV
  • cluelesspacluelesspa Member Posts: 648
    Hey sorry to see you leave the fold :cry:

so what did you buy (sorry to be off topic). ahhh see you been posting on the MDX forums... too bad there is not a way to private message here without revealing your email address to the world...

I have 75k on my B9. it only needs another set of front antisway bushings that I am holding off on. replaced the tires on the 20s just this past week. so good for another summer. had a hard time finding someone to mount the new tires on 20's without charging like $30 per wheel :mad:

was thinking of moving on as well but I got all the hacks in and the SUV is running well with the exception of that stupid bushing that goes out every 25 or 30k miles. plus economy and job (ya never know).

I thought you would have gotten better $$ selling the B9 outright instead of trading it in on the MDX...
  • streamsidestreamside Member Posts: 1
    We recently bought a 2006 B9 Tribeca which had only a West navigation disc, and we need the East. Does anyone have one that they'd like to trade?
  • pdierkspdierks Member Posts: 4
    My wife purchased a 2007 B9 a few months back and we have the opposite scenario, as this was a dealer demo from Florida. We need the West CD. You can contact me at kingtut2770@yahoo.com to work out the swap.
  • sti9mmsti9mm Member Posts: 3
    So, did they get the unit fixed? I have an 07 B9 that is flashing the Subaru logo 3 times, then goes black. The NAV buttons flash 4 times, pause, and then flash 4 times.

2 months and much $$$ later (replaced DVD unit, replaced cable, replace radio) still does it. Of course, it is past 36K miles, so dealer is having trouble getting 'free' parts.

Anyone else had this issue, and if so, what fixed it?
  • jurassic_manjurassic_man Member Posts: 1
    I don't know about the downgrading - but I'm interested in whether the V 3.0 was acquired from a dealer or somewhere else.
  • ellungoellungo Member Posts: 2
    I'm in the same boat many of you are...have a 2006 B9 Tribeca with gps version 1.awful....have to upgrade but man that is a lot more than what I had expected to pay...is the only option to go through Kenwood?...I think about spending $250 for these disks that I really don't how accurate they are versus buying a Garmin gps and always having an updated map...here I thought I'd just pick up some $60 update disk and I'd be on my way...not so bueno...
  • ellungoellungo Member Posts: 2
    Any Don Quixote people out there who have a link to a less than authentic source for 3.0 gps disks for the B9 Tribeca?
  • mlyonsmlyons Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone tell me if the version 3.0 looks anything like the screenshots I've seen from the Forester and Outback? The graphics are much cleaner (it looks just like Toyota's screen). The graphics in my 2007 Tribeca are terrible. I don't want to update if it's not the new look.
    I misspoke. The new system is in the Legacy and Outback.

Let me just add that I don't think the ver. 1 was that bad, it just looks ... well ... like a version 1. I had NAV screen envy when I got in my friend's Lexus. My wife just got a Venza and it has the same rich screen. But, I've only occasionally had a problem with the system giving me bad directions. I agree with others that having to hit the "Agree" button EVERY time you start the car is a nuisance. The Toyota warning screen clears after about 5-10 seconds.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I hear very, very mixed reviews about Toyota systems.

gagrice has it on his Toyota truck and he simply hates it. He's actually thinking about plugging in a portable Garmin and just ignoring the useless OE one.

But I have heard good things from the model that appears in the Solara and several Lexus models. Perhaps the Venza got that better system.

That Outback's screen sure looks better than the one in the Forester. I didn't feel like the Tribeca's was bad, but then again I sampled it a few years ago and newer ones have improved dramatically.
  • pametzpametz Member Posts: 7
    I just bought a new Tribeca that came with V3 disks. I live in SE NC, and while it shows the names of most of the roads, it will not find any addresses on secondary roads, and that include the 10 year old development I live in. It will not route me to or from my home. It will not plan a route on secondary roads (those w/o highway numbers). When I check the version info, it shows V1.0 dtd 2007 even though I have the V3 East disk installed and loaded. Subaru and Kenwood have not been of any help. Has anyone had a similar problem?
  • ttentelhttentelh Member Posts: 46
    call subaru headquarters they will be happy to give you version 3.0 for free, my 2008 tribeca had the old one as well, but the dealer should had given you the newer version as well since 3.0 came out in 2008 the time i bought mine.
  • jseguinjseguin Member Posts: 1
    My wife purchased a 2009 Tribeca and it came with Navigation 3.0. We received the discs new from Kenwood and as such, it is not installed. Does anyone know how to install it. I've put it in the CD player but it does not read. The DVD player does not read it either. Any suggestions???
    @jsequin: Look under the driver's seat. The navigation DVD player there.
    look under the drivers seat, becarefull how you open the door, first remove the safety. Then open the door. I recommend you read the manual before you do anything. Good luck
  • scurtis623scurtis623 Member Posts: 7
    We just got a 2006 Tribeca and there is NO manual for the gps, I've been reading some of the post on this link and it's very helpful. Said that the dvd is under the driver seat, I never would of thought of looking there... Yes, it is, are you suppose to be able to take that out? I didn't want to force it. Could a dvd be inside that? I only got 1 dvd in the case, that was the West and we live in the East, but it is installed, just in case we ever need to re-install.
    Is that a memory card or some way that you can program trips in your computer and put it on that gps in the car? :confuse:
    Thanks
    I have a 2009 Tribeca. It comes as Version 3 with 2 DVD's. The East is in the player. Both the East and the West have identical maps, but POI's differ for their respective coverage areas. The player is located under the seat and has a button for ejection on the unit.

In general this is a poor GPS system compared to modern units like Garmin. It does not route to many areas in NC where I live. When it does a route, it usually only follows numbered highways. As a result, routes are longer if I can find the address. I have taken issue with both Subaru and their GPS hardware/software supplier Kenwood. The only response I got from Subaru was that a new version will be out in 2010. However, they did not commit that it would do any more than add more POI's to what already exits, or that it would work in older systems like mine. As a result, I use a Garmin system that works real well, and I have an expensive back-up camera for my 2009.
    Maybe I asked this question wrong before. I have a garmin hand held gps, that I plan our many trips with on the computer then transfer the data to the gps.

1. Is a way to do this with the gps in the tribeca? If so HOW? What software would you use.

2. Are you suppose to be able to read the dvd that came with the car on your computer? I tried and it said they were IDX files and couldn't open them.

Shirley
    We also just recently bought a 06 Tribeca which I thought only had the West disc, and we live in the East. When I took the car to the dealers today about the gold paint job, I asked how you open that box under the driver seat. The sales manager tried but couldn't figure it out, he had someone come out from service, he showed me, and the East disc was in there.
    Update after calling all around, I finally found a manual for the gps at the dealership that had 2 people looking and couldn't find one. Guy from service dept. found one, also I figured out (just guessing) that the manal is #3100 and you can d/l it.
    :)
    I don't think so, in fact my guess is no for both questions.
  • poweryogagirlpoweryogagirl Member Posts: 3
    I bought a 2006 B9 Tribeca, which I love, but it has the original navigation discs. Does anyone have the newest version of the East disc they would be willing to send/sell me??
  • bguy7890bguy7890 Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking for the Ver 3 DvD for the West. Anyone interested in selling?
    Thanks.
  • abizarvakhariaabizarvakharia Member Posts: 2
    I am trying to figure out if I can use the AUX jack in my '09 Tribeca (radio model # P-144) to connect my mobile phone and use it as a hand free solution.

I am already able to connect the phone (it's a HTC HD2) to the AUX jack via the 3.5mm plug in the center console and listen to music. When the phone rings, the music automatically mutes and the caller’s voice is piped into the speakers in the car. However the MIC on the phone is somehow disabled so the called cannot hear me speak.

Does the radio in the Tribeca have a MIC-IN capability? If yes, I think I can wire a microphone and (onto the steering column) and be able to use it as a hands-free solution in the car. Does anyone know if the radio has this capability, please?

I just posted this question in the radio forum but noticed in my search that there are more discussions re: MIC installations in this forum and so I thought I would repost it here too, Has anyone tried this and got it to work? Thanks in advance.
  • jax44jax44 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2009 Tribeca with V 3.0 nav system, but when you check the version on the set up it shows Ver 1.0 also. Have you found a solution for this?
    No. I use a Garmin now. It sees more of the streets and addresses in my area. It plans better routes. Too bad Subaru did this to their Tribeca buyers. I suspect they will be dropping it because it is not a great seller, and it doesn't do well with gas mileage. I've also had a lot of problems with rattles.
    Imposible, you cant be using a 3.0 version and showing the 1.0. Are you sure you have the correct dvd in and not the old one? The navi is under the drivers seat,
  • jax44jax44 Member Posts: 2
    The label on the DVD says V 3, but The DVD does read 2007 Ver1. I have talked to Subaru and they said it was a glitch and to live with it as they had no idea how to fix it. When I opened the DVD up on my laptop and read the Version folder/file it read ver1
    ok I think the DVD is fake. The DVD came out in 2008 not in 2007. When I bought my 2008 Tribeca was the version 1 in. When I found out that version 3 was already released and referred to the dealer. Dealer bullshited me. I called headquarters Subaru and they sent to me free of charge within a week.
  • cluelesspacluelesspa Member Posts: 648
    edited April 2010
    I decided to purchase the 4.0 NAV DVDs for Subaru. But it looks like now I will be getting out of the Tribeca into a Toyota SUV. The 4.0 version was just released end of March 2010.

So if anyone is looking for the latest NAV dvd I split them up on Ebay for EAST and WEST dvd. just do a search for Subaru Navigation DVD 4.0 and they should come up. only ones listed currently. :shades:
  • poweryogagirlpoweryogagirl Member Posts: 3
    Ugh. Figures since I purchased V3 on Feb. 1. I have written them to see if they'll send me V 4. Had I known the new version was coming out, I would have waited to make my purchase.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789
    That's why many companies, like Adobe, wait until a couple of weeks before the release to announce the release date. They know sales of the previous version will all but stop once they make the announcement! :sick:
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    That's nothing.

I bought a Miata in March 2009 and the rebate was $2500.

18 days later, the rebate went up to $5000. :cry:

I wrote to Mazda and they sent me $100 credit for accessories out of pity.

So they were nice, but I still lost out on $2400. :cry:

Actually, truth is dealers raised prices when the deep discounts came. I still got screwed, though.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    "I still got screwed, though."

You still got $2600 off. That's not bad on a car like the Miata.

It's called luck of the draw. :)

Bob
    I just bought the new version for SUBARU TRIBECA & OUTBACK models. Because am not using the WEST map disk am willing to sell it to whoever needs it. The price I paid for the whole thing was 273.53 includes taxes and shipping. For $137 you can buy it. I will accept personal check or Money order. for that amount. I will ship it priority mail, when your check clears. if you are interested email me at ttentelh@aol.com, my name is Elias. Contact me so I can give you my information to where to send the check. I only have 1 disk so whoever email me first will win it. I will notify you when it will get mail. Also If anybody wants map version 3 for same model EAST and WEST is also available.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    So they were nice, but I still lost out on $2400.

Devil's advocate here - If they cut the rebate the next day to $500, would you have called them and offered back $2000??

:D
    Plus there was only a $500 rebate in January, when I started shopping.

I waited and got a bigger one, but still not the best.

Oh well, life goes on. You can never predict the future. It's just that the change in amounts was rather shocking.
  • skipthezipskipthezip Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2008
    The navigation system on my 2007 B9 Tribeca quit working at about 60K miles. I brought it to the dealer (several times) and was finally told that the console for the navi was bad, and that I would have to replace the whole unit. They said it was a rare occurance...but it was going to cost me close to $1000 for a new unit. Or I could get a refurbished unit at $500. I haven't been able to bring myself to spend that kind of money on something that is mainly a convenience (I guess the only safety issue is that the backup camera is tied into the unit). It is, however, a daily pain in the neck not to be able to see what radio station is on, my current fuel efficiency, adjust my front/rear speakers, etc, etc. If it was just about the navigation, I would go get myself a portable navigation system for a lot less money.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or thoughts on where I could get a console for a reasonable amount of money?

Has this happened to anyone else, and if so, what did you do?

Thanks...
  • sti9mmsti9mm Member Posts: 3
    Are your failure symptoms that it flashed the Subaru logo a few times - then screen goes black. Then the lights on the buttons flash a few times, pause, then flash a few times in a pattern?

This is what happened to our B9 over a year ago, I replaced the Kenwood under the seat, and the cable to the screen. Now Subaru says I have to replace the screen for a tidy $1,500 plus labor, and they are not sure that will fix it. :lemon:

I'd like to believe that there is a better way to test this than to throw parts at it.
    Ask if the refurb comes with a warranty, and if they guarantee that will fix the problem. To me that would make all the difference.
  • hardy_1961hardy_1961 Member Posts: 1
    Last weekend also the Navi computer in my car (2006 B9 Tribeca, 18000 miles, very rare car here in Germany) stopped working. It happened for the second time in one year.

At first I can see Subaru logo, than the message "Updating System" followed by the error message on the screen: "Improper Disc". Maybe the disc is damaged, however, there is no possibility to check the system with my backup or another disc, because the Navi computer didn't eject the disc.

Fortunately, the Navi is covered by the warranty, nevertheless I am thinking about a change of the Navi (which might be necessary in future).

Are there any suggestions, which Navi computer can be taken together with the Subaru screen and Subaru cables?
    Or have I to replace the whole system (Navi computer unit, Screen, cable?)
    Or should I try to get a used Subaru Navi computer? (difficult! rare and expensive car, nearly 35% higher price than in US)

Thanks, Hardy
  • TrihardTrihard Member Posts: 11
    So, I have yet to see anyone post any review of the new 4.0 Nav software. Has anyone actually used it, and if so, what if any changes are there (other than map updates)?
    Am using the 4.0 it is actually better, besides the map updates also the software is friendlier than the older. Better color too. I like it. If anyone interested am selling the West disk if anyone interested for $150 only.
    Are there any specific software changes/features you can point out? Does it have TTS?
    Did they remove having to select the "Accept" button every time you start up the car to use the Nav System? That might be worth it alone!
    no they didnt remove it, you still have to accept it
  • monielovemonielove Member Posts: 1
    Hello Trihard,
    I just bought a 2006 B9 Tribeca. I was trying to find out how I can update the navigational system. I see that you posted something about 4.0 nav software. Where can you purchase that and how much does it cost?

Thanks!
    do you live on the East coast or west coast? The whole set cost $350 but since I live on the East i can sell you the west for half the money. Let me know if you are interested.