Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

300C SRT-8 Lower Than Other Models To The Ground

bsonthreellebsonthreelle Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Chrysler
I spoke with the Dealer Service Technician this morning,where I purchased the 2006 Crysler 300C SRT-8 earlier this week, and informed them that it is too low to the ground for my driveway without the mufflers and front axel shaft to scrape my drive way - my drive way has a decline at the top or entrance point. My contractor examine the problem, and without investing thousand of dollars in getting the problem resolved, thought that the car could be raised by an inch. My salesman informed me that it was originally lowered to give it better balance and stability. The service technician advise that nothing could be done. My suggestion is that you consider this before purchasing the vehicle, otherwise, it can add another $10,000.00 to change the structure of your driveway.

Thanks

Comments

• frankorpatfrankorpat Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone had a problem with the shield that is underneath the front end of the SRT8? Ours keeps flying off the car when we take trips, extended driving at fwy speeds. The shield must be removed each time the is is changed, and twice the dealer has not put the shield back on properly. Because the SRT8 has such a low profile, the dealer says it is our problem and refuses to fix it. The 1st time it happened the car was 6 mos old (2006). A dealer in Montana told us that it was not properly installed after the oil change. The shield gets warm and vibrates at fwy speeds, and then pieces of it fly off the car. It is held on with plastic clips and small bolts, which we have replaced, and have had to resort to baling wire (on a $50K car!). I would like to know if any other SRT8 owner has experienced problems with the shield and how you have resolved it.
    Has anyone had a problem with the shield that is underneath the front end of the SRT8? Ours keeps flying off the car when we take trips, extended driving at fwy speeds. The sheild must be removed each time the oil is changed, and twice the dealer has not put the sheild back on properly. Because the SRT8 has such a low profile, the dealer says it is our problem and refuses to fix it. The 1st time it happened the car was 6 mos old (2006). A dealer in Montana told us that it was not properly installed after the oil change. The shield gets warm and vibrates at fwy speeds, and then pieces of it fly off the car. It is held on with plastic clips and small bolts, which we have replaced, and have had to resort to baling wire (on a $50K car!). I wouild like to know if any other SRT8 owner has experienced problems with the shield and how you have resolved it.
  • bsonthreellebsonthreelle Member Posts: 3
    Incredible. I am stunned. I had the exact same problem; the gravel shield has been replaced once. I bought the car Aug 2006, and only have 5,500 miles on the car - at the time the shield was replaced the mileage was 3,822. It shreded beyond belief. The repaired it, and asked "how did it happen." Silly question when you consider how low it is to the ground. I rarely drive it; I like the design and the power, but I can see this becoming a high maintenance car. I was so reluctant to making an investment into an America brand car; I thought with the research that I saw before buying that it would be a good decision. However, your ordeal has cast even a greater doubt in my mind about my decision.
    Thanks for your quick response. We are at a loss as to what to do next. It obviously is a serious design flaw on Chrylers part. What did your dealer tell you to do? Does removing the shield entirely void the warranty? If you replace it will the same thing happen to the new one? I would appreciate any info you could provide. I have looked at other Chrysler sites to see if any one else has the same problem with no luck. Some of the sites I had trouble registering on. Do you know of any others? I think this problem is limited to SRT8 vehicles as they have a lower front profile than the 300C. Pat W.
  • bsonthreellebsonthreelle Member Posts: 3
    You are welcome. The dealer made me feel as though the error was with me. Clearly it is a design flaw. They repaired it; however, I don't see any reason to believe that it will not happen again. They didn't indicate that if it would happen that the warranty would not apply. They suggested that if the shield wasn't replaced, and additional damages were done as a result, that the warranty would not cover the damages as a result. I don't know of anyone else that has the SRT8 model, but would love to know if there are others with the same complaint. Thanks
  • ej94peteej94pete Member Posts: 1
    I have 06 srt8,and installed mopar lowering suspension.normally drops 11/2 to 2 inches.I have had no problem with cover,and have made numerous trips in west texas at speeds up to 165. cover in fine shape.One must consider the lower center of such a car,beware of lower curbs and such. Good luck in finding a solution.I found mine.ej.
This discussion has been closed.