Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Echo Transmission

13»

Comments

• Yeah, i'll probably just keep on driving it for now.I don't need it every day.
    It's just, the clutch seemed tighter when I first got the car.Maybe low on fluid.I just hate not having a trustworthy mechanic.
    Thanks for the input kneisl1.The car is great on gas even know it's getting below freezing out.
    I really did'nt want a 5-speed at first,I've had a couple in the past for only short periods of time.The gas savings is worth rowing through the gears in the city.

do you have an
    echo?
  • kneisl1kneisl1 Posts: 1,683
    I bought a 2001 ECHO with a five speed in the fall of 2000 and had it for eight years. But I have problems with my feet and cant push a clutch in anymore. So I bought a 2009 Yaris with an automatic transmission.

The ECHO is the better car in my opinion.

I bought a 2000 ECHO with automatic for my son five or six years ago for $3000 with 117k miles on it. It has over 180k miles on it now with no problems except for a new MAF sensor.
  • kat88kat88 Posts: 1
    Hi,

Today, when I shifted into 1st gear, the car moved very slowly even when I applied gas. Did the same in reverse. I decided to try something and put the car in first and took my foot off the clutch without gas and the car did not stall. Does anyone know what this could be? I am about to sell my car as is, and want to ensure I can let any buyer know about what problems I have experienced. The car is a 2001 and has 233,000. I just flushed the transmission fluid last winter and regularly change the oil.

Cheers
    Kathy
    I think the clutch is slipping. (the driven disk it not being clamped to the flywheel as it normally would be.)

If the transmission was bad it would not go into gear, or it would pop out of gear (any gear) while driving.

If you are driving along in, say, 3rd gear and accelerate briskly and the engine revs but the car doesnt move any faster, the clutch is "slipping" and needs replacement.

Good Luck!

PS My advice is take the ECHO to a shop and have them fix the clutch (~$1000) and KEEP IT! : )
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,666
    Yes, agree with this answer. Clutch needs to be replaced, including the disc, pressure plate, throwout bearing, pilot bushing, and remove the flywheel and resurface. Also, replace the slave cylinder. Don't drive it with the cluch slipping, or the flywheel can be damaged beyond repair (may have to replace it also).
  • iynosiynos Posts: 2
    Please be advised that if you replace your automatic transmission with a manual, you will also be faced with the cost of repairing your clutch when it goes out on you. Automatic transmission has been very good for me. I have driven manual all my life and I can say that the cost of repairs is about the same.
  • iynosiynos Posts: 2
    My Daughter has a 2002 Toyota Echo and whenever she is driving between 60MPH-70MPH the transmission jumps to neutral and back on drive again. It almost feels like someone bumps you slightly from the back, but instantaneously it will go back to driving fine. Could this be transmission slipping or just something that needs servicing. Please help and thanks.
    Although I can no longer drive a stick I never changed a clutch in a car in 35 years. I put 250,000 miles on the one in my 74 Beetle!

You must be doing something wrong.
    First thing check the oil level in it.

Second thing have it changed by a shop that hooks up a continous feed to the trans so ALL the oil is changed. I believe the trans takes special Toyota semi synthetic oil...

Third...my guess is the trans is shot. Get a used one from a junkyard and have it installed.

Good luck and tell us what happens!
13»