Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Echo Transmission

2»

Comments

• lhansonlhanson Posts: 268
    That's what it is supposed to do. Don't worry about it.
  • thanks, but is there a quick non-techie answer as to why it does that? thanks.
    -gary
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,693
    Toyota designs them to rev higher when they are cold because it warms up the catalytic converter more quickly and consequently reduces smog-forming emissions. It has the added benefit of saving gas, believe it or not, as the engine uses a lot less gas when it is warm than when it is cold, and it warms up the engine more quickly too.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• the transmission is control by the ecu and the mass air flow meter is an input to the ecu.
    driving with a scan tool hooked up may give some insight.
  • An input shaft bearing will grind or growel.
    chirping is the the relaease breaing or its linkage.
  • 90% of the toyota automatic transmission failures are because the fluid was never replaced.
    look at it as insurance against the trany failing
  • you have that backwards. the massive profit is in flushing a transmission.
    if wait a long time, you will need to flush the transmission.
    drian and fill is ok if it is done reguarly on a toyota.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,693
    LOL! I wrote that more than two years ago! But I didn't have it backwards, although I may have expressed it badly....what I meant was transmission flushes are a massive profit item for shops. From what you wrote, I believe we agree on that....

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• Hey guy's. I too have the chirping sound or squeling sound,on my 01 ECHO sedan 5 speed.When you engage the clutch the sound seems to go away.If it is the throwout bearing or, and pressure plate.How much does this job run?($)In genearal what does a new clutch run?
    Also my clutch seems to be losing pressure.(feels very lite)any ideas?
    It seems to shift okay but a little jerky sometimes.
    I just bought the car 5 day's ago and put over 1000 km's on it.Bought it with 145,000 k's
    90,000 miles or so.never been in a clamied accident.I am quite worried with the problems,because this is a super reliable brand.Yes the car is 10 years old and counting.
    Any input would be great.Or just chime in on your ECHO problems or experinces.

I ran over a curb doing 30 miles an hour, was more of a concrete island dividing two lanes at an intersection.I was lucky to miss a metal light pole by just 3 feet.The little echo took all the force of the accident with the steel wheel and tire.There was a big bubble on the tire after.I thought for sure i killed the underneath of the car ,but all was needed was a used tire,and banging the steel wheel back to shape.And a balance and i was on my way.Tough little cars for sure.High ground clearance.

Well thanks Bryan in London Ontario Canada
  • kneisl1kneisl1 Posts: 1,691
    edited November 2012
    If pressing on the clutch makes the sound go away that is classic throwout bearing.

"Weakness" is just the hydralic operateing system. ECHO has a light clutch pedal pressure. As long as the clutch doesnt slip while accelerating its fine.

Sounds like the clutch is tweaked but serviceable.

Personally I can drive a new car with a clutch 200,000 miles without replacement (or more) I have NEVER needed to replace a clutch.

So if the car was mine I would just drive it hoping the dammage will stop and not get worse.

But in the meantime look for a shop and get estimates. I dont know what they get for a clutch job but the ECHO is failry complicated to get the trans in and out Im thinking.

Good luck and tell us what happens!

Also post something at least once a week to liven thingsup around here! I love to gab.
  • Yeah, i'll probably just keep on driving it for now.I don't need it every day.
    It's just, the clutch seemed tighter when I first got the car.Maybe low on fluid.I just hate not having a trustworthy mechanic.
    Thanks for the input kneisl1.The car is great on gas even know it's getting below freezing out.
    I really did'nt want a 5-speed at first,I've had a couple in the past for only short periods of time.The gas savings is worth rowing through the gears in the city.

do you have an
    echo?
    I bought a 2001 ECHO with a five speed in the fall of 2000 and had it for eight years. But I have problems with my feet and cant push a clutch in anymore. So I bought a 2009 Yaris with an automatic transmission.

The ECHO is the better car in my opinion.

I bought a 2000 ECHO with automatic for my son five or six years ago for $3000 with 117k miles on it. It has over 180k miles on it now with no problems except for a new MAF sensor.
  • kat88kat88 Posts: 1
    Hi,

Today, when I shifted into 1st gear, the car moved very slowly even when I applied gas. Did the same in reverse. I decided to try something and put the car in first and took my foot off the clutch without gas and the car did not stall. Does anyone know what this could be? I am about to sell my car as is, and want to ensure I can let any buyer know about what problems I have experienced. The car is a 2001 and has 233,000. I just flushed the transmission fluid last winter and regularly change the oil.

Cheers
    Kathy
    I think the clutch is slipping. (the driven disk it not being clamped to the flywheel as it normally would be.)

If the transmission was bad it would not go into gear, or it would pop out of gear (any gear) while driving.

If you are driving along in, say, 3rd gear and accelerate briskly and the engine revs but the car doesnt move any faster, the clutch is "slipping" and needs replacement.

Good Luck!

PS My advice is take the ECHO to a shop and have them fix the clutch (~$1000) and KEEP IT! : )
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,668
    Yes, agree with this answer. Clutch needs to be replaced, including the disc, pressure plate, throwout bearing, pilot bushing, and remove the flywheel and resurface. Also, replace the slave cylinder. Don't drive it with the cluch slipping, or the flywheel can be damaged beyond repair (may have to replace it also).
  • iynosiynos Posts: 2
    Please be advised that if you replace your automatic transmission with a manual, you will also be faced with the cost of repairing your clutch when it goes out on you. Automatic transmission has been very good for me. I have driven manual all my life and I can say that the cost of repairs is about the same.
  • iynosiynos Posts: 2
    My Daughter has a 2002 Toyota Echo and whenever she is driving between 60MPH-70MPH the transmission jumps to neutral and back on drive again. It almost feels like someone bumps you slightly from the back, but instantaneously it will go back to driving fine. Could this be transmission slipping or just something that needs servicing. Please help and thanks.
    Although I can no longer drive a stick I never changed a clutch in a car in 35 years. I put 250,000 miles on the one in my 74 Beetle!

You must be doing something wrong.
    First thing check the oil level in it.

Second thing have it changed by a shop that hooks up a continous feed to the trans so ALL the oil is changed. I believe the trans takes special Toyota semi synthetic oil...

Third...my guess is the trans is shot. Get a used one from a junkyard and have it installed.

Good luck and tell us what happens!
2»