Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Jimmy Electrical System

Comments

• lrj78lrj78 Member Posts: 5
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    It would seem to me that not everything was reconnected properly when your dash was reassembled. I would ask the people who did the work to recheck it.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • kmamark2000kmamark2000 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1999 GMC Jimmy SLT. How do I get the interior lights to turn on when i open the doors? There is no switch for that anywhere on the dash.
  • kmamark2000kmamark2000 Member Posts: 2
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    If they do not turn on with any door being opened, check the fuses in the fuse panel.

Does the '99 have an interior light overide? I seem to remember that if the dash light brightness control is turned all the way up, the lights come on without opening a door. If turned all the way down, some vehicles will turn off the interior lights even with the door open.
  • lil2footlil2foot Member Posts: 1
    Got a question? I have a 99 GMC Jimmy with an after market remote start on it. Just a couple of months ago the security light would come on and stay on or flash. The time next you would go to start it, it would not. We tried using the remote start, it would get hung up when trying to start. If you turned the key you would have to try it several times before it would start or the battery would give out. My husband could usually start it by turning the key forward and back 3 times and wait for the light to go out and it would start Someone said it could be the lock cylinder? We replaced that and had the security reprogrammed. That didn't work. We disarmed the remote start, that didn't work either. Anybody got any ideas? Help!? Please
  • brazosport69brazosport69 Member Posts: 1
    i have the same problem. now my jimmy will not start at all. what was the problem with your jimmy.
  • swoodruffswoodruff Member Posts: 2
    I just recently replaced the heads on my 1997 GMC jimmy hooked up everything I get power from the battery to starter and I have power to the fusible link by rt side fender I have absolutley no power to anything horn ignition ect. anybody have any ansers to this problem I would appreciate it Thanks Stan
  • hytinhytin Member Posts: 2
    press the button next to the headlight dial 4 times, you will hear a chime and then the dome light will come on with the door opening. If you push the button 4 times while driving the daytime driving lights will go out.
  • tounmantounman Member Posts: 2
    So my back wiper basically stopped working. What happens is when I start click the button to get it going you hear what sounds like the motor for the wiper spinning but almost like it's not grabbing anything, so the wiper doesn't go. Then, if I actually go back there and give it a nudge after I turn it on, it grabs it goes through one cycle of like 3 wipes and then stalls again. It did that when I first bought the car but all I had to do was nudge it once and it just started working.

I've got a 95' Jimmy SLE if that helps. Any thoughts or suggestions??
  • 01280128 Member Posts: 3
    I just fixed the bad digital dash problem with my 93 Jimmy. Turns out that this is a common problem. There is a mother board behind the digital dash. If you enter "digital dash 93 Jimmy" into your computer search engine, several providers will pop up. One of them (and he is on ebay) charges $55 for a rebuilt mother board that you get in the mail in about 5 days. If you buy the motherboard only, your odomiter is unchanged. If you buy the "rebuilt digital dash for $125, you will not be able to retain your correct odomiter reading. The mother board kit Includes instructions to R&R the board, pretty strait forward. If you are half handy, you can do it yourself in about 2-3 hours, just follow the instructions. The only headache was the heater control. FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS carefully and the second time you reinstall the heater control, it will make sence. All works great now!
  • vpettittvpettitt Member Posts: 3
    freind was pulling plug wire passenger side and I was trying to get dash off to get to radio and fan switch cause neither one of em turned on had key in and turned to on and was about to put screw driver to work ............radio came on but no blower ??
    I DIDENT DO IT I swear............The Jimmy germlin ??
    My freind was happy I finshed my part quick Iam sitting there driver in hand looking like ??????????
    Anyway what can I look for and any and all help is needed.New here and this is MY first Jimmy.Thanks Vernon
  • pgarrett2pgarrett2 Member Posts: 4
    My 2000 Jimmy's radio display's "LOC". What does that mean? How do I fix it?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    It means that you probably had your battery drained recently and the radio is now LOCked out. There is a (complicated) procedure for unlocking it and I stumbled upon it at this site: Automotive Helper - Radio Locked Out

Alternatively, any GM dealer should be able to fix it for you.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • randygmcrandygmc Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE REPLACE THE FUEL SENDING UNIT TWICE. BOTH TIMES THIER WER INDICATIONS THAT IT WASNT GETTING FUEL. PARKED THE CAR AT NIGHT WENT OUT THE NEXT MORNING AND WOULD NOT START. I HEAR THE FSU SPINNING UP AND FUEL CAN BE RELEASED FROM THE PRESSURE CHECK VALVE. DO THINK IT COULD BE THE FSU AGAIN? OR SOMETHING MORE SERIOUS
  • rsolo956rsolo956 Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought an 86 Jimmy in great shape from an auction. After taking it home I noticed an LED lit up, the doors locked and I could not crank the vehicle. I did find a GM goodwrench box (which looks to be an aftermarket alarm or something) next to the fuse box and a off and on switch next to it which I have already tried to disengage to no avail. I have to disconnect the battery to reset everything and it will crank. Now does anyone know if I can get a remote from GM, or does anyone know how to disengage it?? Help is greatly appreciated.
  • buzz66buzz66 Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 1999 GMC Jimmy SLE and noticed the break light on the drivers side wont light up. The other break lights as well as all other lights work as they should...just that break light. It's not the fuse and it's not the bulb. Any ideas what I can check next? Thank you.
  • jannidjannid Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 Jimmy is haunting me with the courtesy lamps going on by themselves the tail gait popping and the drivers window operating whenever it wants. Ive noticed quite a few electrical issues with these trucks on various forums, was there any manufacturer's culpability reported? :mad:
    Anyway, I have to remove the fuse to keep the lights from draining the battery but, If I want to switch to or from 4wd I have to replace the (light) fuse and then switch drives and then stop and remove this fuse or the tail gait will pop open!! Any advice or suggestions?? It gets dark here and we have alot of snow!
    My 2000 Jimmy fuel gauge shows full almost of the time, then with out warning it goes to empty for a few seconds, then back to full. Then the low fuel indicator light will come on. I never know how much fuel is in the tank. Any suggestions?
  • jobinn12jobinn12 Member Posts: 1
    the drivers side brake light will not work, however when you turn the right blinker on the drivers side brake ligh operates correctly. Both bulbs are working correctly when the right blinker is on. Whats up?
  • cotronecotrone Member Posts: 1
    Here are my many problems: First, my key started getting stuck in the ignition, in the position where the radio and lights are still on, and would not turn back any further, until you hear a slight "click". Then they will turn back and come out. I figured out, eventually, that this "clicking" can be controlled by the button you push to shift into drive/reverse/park/etc. Also, the door locks will decide every now and then to quit working, but only for a short period of time. The heater won't work every now and then either, it just blows cold air. If you mess with it enough, it eventually turns warm. I noticed in a few other topics, it seemed like this could be the ignition switch gone bad? Please help me!! :) Thank you!
  • 30063006 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 98 jimmy that i just did the intake gaskets on and replaced lifters marked dis right to put back in, got thing all back to gether and will crank and almost start checked timing 2 times to make sure and looked at all connections this is driving me nuts i can not get it running.
    any ideas

thanks
  • wcrs23wcrs23 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I have a 1994 GMC Jimmy, the AC does not cycle any more, I jumped the compressor and the system cools down, I checked the fuse and when I run the engine and turn the AC on, I pulled the fuse and notice a small electrical arch, I am thinking there is a relay somewhere, but do not know where to lok. I do not have an owners mannual with my vehicle, am I right thinking a relay is burned out? and if so, can anyone point me to the location of it? Thanks for any help.
    Steve
  • bhead23bhead23 Member Posts: 1
    I had an identical problem with my 2000 Jimmy. It lasted for a year and two then eventually my fuel pump stopped working so I had them replace the gas gauge sensor while they were at it. A way to keep track of how much gas you have is to reset your tripometer every time you fill up with gas, meaning you have to fill it all the way up each time. Then depending on how you drive you can get around 250 miles on each tank of gas.
  • jesse_b10jesse_b10 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem. What did you find out? Where is the pump located? How much did it cost you?
    Never did get any info on this, I just make sure to put gas in it once or twice a week.
  • michael79michael79 Member Posts: 21
    '99 jimmy slt my brake light hasn't worked on the leftside everything checks out, bulbs, fuse, could it be some sort of circuit board inside the light box.
    thanks michael
  • mwolf9000mwolf9000 Member Posts: 29
    You might check the wiring. Both the connections and the wires. In fact, I'd start by checking if there is power at the bulb when the ignition is on and the brake pedal is pushed in.
    all connections look fine and the bulb is good, have power to light, sometimes it will work and sometimes she will not
    thanks, new guy michael
    If you think the wiring back to the bulb is ok then the next thing to check might be the brake switch. My Chilton's manual (1994-1999) shows a diagram of the brake switch attached to the top of the brake pedal. I'd check that area. And since the other brake lights are working I'd still guess that your problem is with the wiring. But maybe it's the wiring near the switch. Keep trying.
    mwolf9000
    thank you and will check, the shop worked under there when they put a new actuator door in but told me nothing there would cause what is going on.
    Did the brake light problem only start after they put the actuator door in? If so, then I'd definitely check that area for a wiring/connection problem.
    THANK YOU
  • melann40melann40 Member Posts: 1
    I just brought this from a friend and she did not know nothing about these things that were going on, the dome light bulb was replaced, still does not work, the button you push to open the rear window does not work and my stereo in it wont come on or off, so does anyone have an experience with this or could give me an idea what it could be?
    Thanks, Melody
  • jv6049jv6049 Member Posts: 2
    My Motor book does not explain this very good. When the shifter is in 2wd. the vacume is still holding it in 4wd. I was told to adjust the shifter linkage for the transfer case, yet it doesn't explain how to do this. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.
  • koolerdogkoolerdog Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 jimmy that I'm rigging for towing. Does anyone know what color wire I tap into on the brake switch?
  • santino2700santino2700 Member Posts: 2
    i was wonderin if i install a 180-200 amp alternator would it cause any electrical problems in my 01 jimmy?
  • millertymemillertyme Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 Jimmy 4.3 4x4. I unplugged one of the window motors for a reason that is now fixed and we were operating just the pas side window. It stopped working and now neither work. fuse is good, no obvious grounds or opens. beyond that, I'm not a spark chaser. I would really like to do this myself if it is an easy fix and i know i wont get a straight answer from a shop. Another funny thing is that it also has an anti-lock light and brake light that flash intermittently and they seem to reset every time i hit the window button. I'm thinking relay but I dont know where it is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • ddegainddegain Member Posts: 1
    How do I remove the security system? My 97 Jimmy security systems works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. Last time it took me over half an hour to finally get the car to start. Replaced battery in the remote car starter....checked the voltage on the car battery....fine. Starter is also working.
    1999 jimmy 4x4 changing the cv shaft, will the cv shaft go through the steering knuckle, or do i have to remove it?
    thanks michael
  • keanijoekeanijoe Member Posts: 5
    98 Jimmy...takes 4 attemps to start in morning...great in afternoon. Runs bad at light throttle,,,,if I floor it...it runs great...one thing that is constant...in the morning...I start the truck and only the left side speakers work...truck runs bad....afternoons...both side speakers work and the truck runs great...I'm not crazy and know speakers don't make the truck run bad but the two have to be connected...It has to be some switch ...I think...also sometimes when only left speakers work...cruise won't work...could it be the ignitiion switch?
    Or...could I just be CRAZY.........
    replaced..computer..fuel pump...cam and crank sensor...distr..pugs..wires...
    I get codes telling me it misfires....and sometimes is -7 off in timing...but I can't turn the distr..it's locked down...HELPPPPPP
  • trikdaddytrikdaddy Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 GMC Jimmy SLS 4x4, 4.3L, 2Dr. I keep hearing the flasher (behind the glove box) clicking. Has done this for the last year I have owned it. I have replaced it (27.00 from dealer) and still clicks (they would not even take the part back even though I was in the lane outside customer service). When I press the brake pedal, the clicking stops. Take my foot off, the clicking continues. I disconnected the brake switch, and the clicking continues. All lights, flashers and blinkers work properly. Blinkers/4 ways do not flash unless turn signal/hazard switch activated. Still the clicking persists. Any help on resolving this issue would be very appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.
  • ez2cyuwinez2cyuwin Member Posts: 2
    Hi guys...I have a good one here that I'm hoping one of you can figure out for me.

I have a 1996 Jimmy that I put an electric over hydraulic plow on. I put a second battery in it to help with the draw. I used it all last winter and when everything was running (lights, defroster, rear defroster, rear wiper, front wipers...when I actuated the plow...it would draw down to @9 volts at an idle to 1000 rpm. I decided to put on a larger output alternator for this coming winter and bought a 155 amp unit and also the recommended beefier wiring kit with a 175 amp fuse in it. I installed everything and ran the vehicle with everything going and actuated the plow several times. It still drew down to @ 10 volts but recovered much quicker. I shut it off and since it's just used for plowing, I didn't start it again for a week or so.

Recently, I started her up and immediately noticed that the voltmeter was registering about 9.5 volts with no load on anything. I called Napa and had them ship another one. I took my new one in and the guy bench tested it and said it was good. He also tested the new one they got for a replacement and found it to be bad so he ordered a third one. I installed this one and it worked fine. I started it up the next 3 days in a row and it was charging just fine...but the 4th day, it did the same thing. When I started it up, it wasn't charging. Something happened to both alternators between the time I shut off the vehicle and the alternator was charging...to the next time I started it and it wasn't.

I believe I should have 12 volts at the charge cable end at the alternator at all times...I do. Also, the "L" terminal coming out of the harness at the alternator should have 12 volts when the ignition is in the RUN or START position...I can't confirm that. I don't have a test meter...just a 12 volt trouble light and I'm not sure I'm making a good connection to that small pin but I had these conditions before I installed the second alternator and it worked for 4 days.

I don't understand what has happened...why the new alternator will work for a while and then just stop working while the engine isn't even running. I just replaced the original 105 amp alternator with a higher output one...and I installed the wire upgrade kit that goes with it.

What does that "L" pin go to? Does it have something to do with "exciting" the regulator? I think I read that it could have a resistor in the line somewhere. What does it look like, where is it located, and how do I test it? Can you enlighten and help me...PLEASE? :confuse:
  • mrtbobmrtbob Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 GMC Jimmy 2WD 4.3L engine that I need a wiring diagram for. I bought a Haynes repair manual , but it doesn't seem to come close to covering my vehicles wiring. My jimmy had a fire under it at some point in its past and melted a large switch assy on the side of my tranny. It seems to select lights (reverse etc) among other things, but its all kind of a mess now. Where can a guy obtain this info. Thanks.
  • edortizr6edortizr6 Member Posts: 10
    I think something is draining the battery. I replaced the battery and the alternator but that didn't help. I checked the fuses and they all look ok. I was thinking maybe it's the positive cable on the battery, but I'm not sure. I'm not familiar with the electrical system. I just tried to start the truck and there was power. As soon as I turned the key everything went dead. I'm going to get this battery charged again and take it from there. If anyone has any ideas, I'ld love to here it. Thanks in advance.
    you have a bad connection somewhere, you can check the positive post to make sure it is not broken, that happened to me once, or your possitive cable is corroded somewhere down the line.
  • chris_kreinerchris_kreiner Member Posts: 1
    My brother was driving his Jimmy the other night when without warning he lost all electrical. He didn't even have a slighty flicker of power once it died. I asked him if he smelt anything hot like there was a short somewhere and he said NO. I checked his battery and it had more then enough power to turn on dome lights yet they wouldn't work. Everything is dead. We don't know what the problem can be, we looked at the ignition switch and I don't see anything wrong with it but not quite sure how to test it. What would cause this vehical to just loose electrical power without any warning?
  • dludwickdludwick Member Posts: 3
    My son's 97 Jimmy has the same problem as above...no electric power anywhere. The other night we had to tow it home after it died from what we thought was a bad alternator. Headlights going dimm, stalled out, wont start, and when the jumper cables were removed it died. So the next day we spend some rent money on a new alternator and battery. Now theres nothing. No power anywhere. I've checked all the fuses I could find, and we took the covers off around the ignition switch and no power to any of the big wires going to the switch. We cant afford a mechanic and if he dosen't have it monday we're screwed....any ideas???
    PLEASE HELP!
  • edortizr6edortizr6 Member Posts: 10
    Well after my original post I took the battery to be checked. Although it was a new battery, it still needed a charge. I figured something was killing the battery. Since I charged the battery I haven't had a problem. I did figure out that if the break release was not pulled hard enough, the dome light would stay on. That might have been what was was killing the battery in the first place. I don't think that's your problem though.
  • dludwickdludwick Member Posts: 3
    well after a $190 repair bill we were informed that we had left a wire unhooked from the alternator...when we put the new one on it got trapped under it and we couldent see it.....sucks...
    but thanks for the help guys.