Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Caravan/Voyager Warning Lights & Problem Codes

van_mannvan_mann Member Posts: 1
edited November 2018 in Chrysler
I have a 1990 Dodge Grand Caravan, 3.3l auttomatic tranny.
Recently i was just leaving the park in my van and the "check Guages" light came on, immediatly at startup, and the only guage that was low was the battery guage.. i know that my battery was quite old so i replaced it. the problem persists.. i do have an aftermarket stereo system (nothing fancy) and when i drove further i noticed that the "check engine" light came on. I then stopped, turned off the engine, waited a few min, and then started again. Once again the "check Guages" light came on immediatly, the "check engine" light was off at this time. i then drove home but this time i did not turn on my stereo and the "check engine" light did not come on. im not sure if the problem is with my alternator at this pint or not.. i would think that even if it was the alternator, the new battery would have been at least a temerary solution. However i cannot afford to do anything more with it right now. so i am hoping that some of you out there might know what i need to do or have some suggestions.
Thanks
Mike
A.K.A. Van_Mann

Comments

• mich2515mich2515 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Town & Country. The engine light came on and someone in this forum told me how to get the code that tells what the problem is. My code is P1684. I found out it was a computer chip connected (?) to transmission. It was under warranty, but real close to being past the warranty. It would have cost over $800 for just the part!
    They really have us over a barrel with those chips!
  • stashshelstashshel Member Posts: 14
    It would be highly unlikely that your stereo would have anything to do with your check engine light coming on. The wiring doesn't even go near any of your electrical. Mine has come on due to an oxygen sensor gone bad. I've had nothing but problems with my 1999 plymouth voyager since I've had it and it's going on 4 years now. My passenger slider is rusting out on the bottom, the seats squeek bad absolutely drives me nuts.
  • chafuqchafuq Member Posts: 2
    The "door open" warning light and warning bell come on while I am driving. All doors are closed securely. How do you disconnect this system?
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    The problem is more than likely just a need to replace one of the door switches that is no longer working. It is a very inexpensive switch, if it is the same one that went on the drivers door of our 1996 Caravan.
  • pasi100pasi100 Member Posts: 6
    ...and it is flashing indicating that "...serious conditions that could lead to immediate loss of power or severe catalytic converter damage..."

I can also sense burning gas ans the whole engine 9and the car) are shaking lile Little Richard.

What's wrong and what to do?
  • agdowdleagdowdle Member Posts: 2
    I am having a problem with my 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport. My oil light is coming on and the oil is not low. The oil light does not stay on all the time, it comes on once I have driven the van approximately 12 miles or so, then it comes on when I am no longer accelerating. Once I accelerate again, the light goes off. Does anyone have a clue as to what this could be? Please help!!!!

Thanks!
    Gail
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Yup, it sounds like a worn out engine (or at least worn out main and rod bearings) and/or a heavily sludged engine.

Under the assumption that the above is true (as opposed to an electrical problem, a problem which is highly unlikely to manifest itself this way), the reason that the light goes off when you are accelerating is that the transmission is typically in a lower gear meaning that the engine driven oil pump is running at a higher RPM which in turn means that it is pumping more oil.

Sludging is fairly easily diagnosed. You should simply be able to open the oil filler cap and look inside. On the 3.3 and 3.8 liter V6 engines you should see nice clean rocker arms, identical to the ones that can be viewed in my "Caravan Stuff" photo album on my Yahoo! photos page: http://photos.yahoo.com/shipo

If instead you see lots of crud built up around the rocker arms and rocker shaft or on the underlying cylinder head, your engine is sludged. Regarding the Mitsubishi 3.0 liter V6 (if you have that engine instead of either of the Chrysler V6s), I haven't looked through the oil filler hole of one of those since a friend of mine had an old Dodge Dynasty back in the 1980s so I'm not sure if you can similar engine details.

Another thing you can do to help us offer more qualified opinions as to what your problem might be, is if you would post some particulars about your van. I'm including a list of points to cover to help get you started:

- Engine model [3.0, 3.3, 3.8] liter V6, Note: for the 3.3s and the 3.8s, the displacement is casted into the top of the intake plenum on the 1998 engines)
    - Typical type of traffic encountered when driving the van
    - Typical time duration and mileage distance for each trip
    - Total miles on engine
    - Typical miles driven between oil changes
    - Typical type of oil used
    - How many oil changes went beyond the recommendation of 7,500 miles
    - How many oil changes went beyond 10,000 miles
    - Greatest number of miles driven on a single oil change

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • samson4954samson4954 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 caravan voyager and egine warnning light has just come on again for the secon time , I was reading yr post and was wondering how do y get the code?
  • mfahey1mfahey1 Member Posts: 419
    If you have an electronic dash, turn the key to on and then back to off 3 times and it will flash the code #. You then can go on the web by looking for ODBII codes to see what it means.
    If you don't have an electronic dash, take it to Autozone, Murray's or something similar and they will read it for free.
  • hakbhakb Member Posts: 1
    I am having the exact same problem. The oil light turns on (beeping) when I idle usually after 12-15 miles of continuous driving. I have a 1998 Dodge Caravan, miles (140,000) and I just changed the oil. I try and change the oil after every 3 - 4K miles. What should be done to fix this and how much will it cost. I have had several problems with this van, the recent being that the clock spring had to be replaced as the one that was put in after a recall must have been faulty. Luckily it is supposed to be under lifetime warranty. In any case, if someone can tell me what is involved with removing the sluding from the engine.
    Thanks
    Hmmm, your situation doesn't necessarily sound like a sludging issue. Given that you have a 1998 DGC Sport (I do too), you have either the 3.3 or the 3.8 liter mill (same basic engine), and that engine isn't a known sludge factory (unless horribly abused with LONG oil change intervals and cheap oil). My guess is that your main and/or rod bearings are a little loose (not real surprising after 140,000 miles).

Were I in your shoes I'd try a heavier oil first before I did anything else. IIRC, our vans call for 5W-30 oil in the Owner's Manual, however, as I've now had a couple of cars that call for 0W-40 and as I don't like keeping different kinds of oil in my garage, I started using 0W-40 in both of our 3.8 liter DGCs a couple of years back. As the 0W-40 won't thin out as much as 5W-30 when at operating temperatures, I'd start there. If you are still seeing the light at idle with that oil I'd probably bump the oil up to either a 5W-50 (hard to find here in the U.S.A.) or a 15W-50 and try one of them out.

While I consider it fairly likely that the heavier oils will solve the light issue; if they don't then your only other option will be to drop the oil pan and have the (four) main and (six) rod bearings replaced. I haven't heard of anybody ever having to have that done to the DC V6 engines in our minivans so I don't have a real good feel for the potential cost. That having been said I guess I wouldn't be too surprised if you were quoted between $500 and $1,000 plus parts.

The counterpoint to all of this is that if you are running low oil pressure at idle only, your engine will most likely last many more years (assuming you keep good oil in it). I had an old (as in old when I bought it) 1966 Plymouth Valiant with the 225 "Slant-Six" engine that was constantly winking at me when idling. I bought the car with 103,000 miles on the clock and finally pulled and overhauled the engine when the odo showed 210,000 miles. It was still running perfectly well I just simply got tired of feeding it oil all of the time.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • glen_riverglen_river Member Posts: 1
    I have a '99 Dodge Caravan and after 4 years my speedometer, fuel gauge and temp gauge did not work that it has to be fixed. The mechanic changed the output and input sensors. Now again after about 3 years the same problem occur, just wondering if it is like a common problem with
    Dodge Caravan because I have a '92 Toyota Tercel and I never had that kind of problem. I am really not gonna buy another american made cars.
  • vbgvbg Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 chrysler voyager basic 4 cyclinder.106,000 miles.
    today i drove it about 4 miles from my home and the engine started to sound like it was running out of gas,soon the van would not go but engine ran rough.I put in some heet and some more gas into the tank. The van started right up,so i hop in and continue on my way,
    Then the van again did the same thing. now is when i notice the engine light is on. I had van tow home,an hour later van starts up no problem,engine light stays on but now worried to move it.
    where does the engine code show up?
    do i have tranny or emission problem?
  • gjestep45gjestep45 Member Posts: 2
    Hi All -

I have a 2000 Grand Caravan with a pesky ABS light that keeps coming on.. It is only after you drive the car a little and seems to reset itself after turning the car off... It has only 85,000 miles on it and to be honest I am not happy with it... I had it in to put in a new transmission (YES IT JUST DIED ON THE HIGHWAY 200 miles from home) In the dang thing and at that time they told me that it would need a new ABS pump.... At a cost of an other 1000 dollars... I have since been driving the Van with no reall braking issues other than no ABS... But would like to get it fixed as we will be holding on to it for a while longer...

First question is Being a motor head of sorts, Is it possible to do the work my self? If so are there any manuals out there to make it easier?

By looking at it it seems rather point blank easy bolt on... And then Bleed... Of couse it would need a change of break fluid...

Any body done this out there???
  • wjm3220wjm3220 Member Posts: 2
    98 Caravan, 186k miles (roughly). Periodically the low fuel warning light comes on along with the warning tone. At the same time, the fuel gauge will start to move toward empty. After a second or two, the light will go out and the gauge will come back up to the proper reading. I know for sure I am not out of gas, since It also sometimes happens just after filling it up. It seems more like a gauge failure of some sort. Any suggestions? I really don't want to take it to the dealer just for this, it's not worth spending much money on.

PS. I would just live with it, but the warning tone can be rather annoying :-)
  • timmer19timmer19 Member Posts: 1
    I too have the exact same problem....can anyone help???
  • bobbyvee007bobbyvee007 Member Posts: 5
    1997 PLYMOUTH VOYAGER 3.3 125,000 MILES can some 1 help me out on this code po601.... internal conrtol module memory check sum error.... how can i correct this i cleared this but it came back with the engine check light

van runs like new no problems engine smooth tranny smooth
    any help on this would be great
    also where is the ecm located hope i dont need a need 1

thanks
    bobby v
  • sd6pipersd6piper Member Posts: 1
    I am having the exact same problem with my 2002 Chrysler Voyager. How did you resolve this issue with your van? Were you able to disconnect it, or did you have to have it repaired professionally?

The dinging and warning light are driving me NUTS!!! Please help.
  • wjm3220wjm3220 Member Posts: 2
    Nope, mine is still dinging away. I've been unable to locate any information that was helpful. For now, I'm just playing the radio loud :-) If you locate any information, please post it here - I will do the same.
  • mommascarmommascar Member Posts: 1
    my 2000 caravan has a 3 litre, automatic with 117000 klms on the engine. the oil has been changed every 5000 klm but the problem is that sometimes the oil light will come on when the van is idling or coming to a stop sign some days it's coming on all the time and other days it won't come on none or maybe 1-2 times I checked the oil and every thing is good it has only 3000klm on since last oil change, the oil is like new can someone help
  • masterpaul1masterpaul1 Member Posts: 421
    Sounds like low oil pressure. Have you had the oil pump checked?
  • beb3beb3 Member Posts: 2
    hello to all! we have a 1998 chrysler voyager SE and the check water light on keeps on coming on even if we had made the radiator changed and pipes... it beeps every now & then even early in the morning when we just turn on the engines. and in the middle of the day the low water light goes on & beeps... and the car does lose water still slowly unlike before though that it could consume liters within a few hours... cant really understand the problem of this car... need help and ideas... ty!
    Ummmm, call me ignorant, but I didn't know there was a coolant level gauge anywhere on our cars. Now, as far as I know there is a coolant temperature gauge, and that will light up when the engine is too hot.

I'm wondering if you simply have a bad temperature sensor/sender causing your intermittant light.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • beb3beb3 Member Posts: 2
    ah, ok! i stand corrected about that thing... its kind of hard having only a manual in german about this car... which i barely understand...

anyway, just hope you are right because here the french local mechanic cannot really understand why he has changed the hoses and even the radiator ( which cost us a lot ) but still there's the "beep & light warning every now and then" and we noticed the car does still loses water slowly... its not normal right? hmmm... its quite irritating the beeps

am quite apprehensive of going to the chrysler agent which might cost us double or triple, and still the problem will not be solve, because when we phoned them, it seems they have no idea of this problem too... ayayay!!!

thanks....
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    Is the temperature gauge on the dash indicating normal temperature (about half way between cold and hot)? I almost think you have a problem with a head gasket, if you are losing coolant (and it is not ending up on the ground).
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • mfoulksmfoulks Member Posts: 1
    I need help please I have a 2003 dodge carvan. When I turn on my A/C my speed amidor will flop back in forth to zero and the actual spead I'm going and my car fills like it is shifting. Check enging light come on and my alarm light stays on . I took it to a electrical shop and they though it was the transmission control model, but is wasn't. Transmisison place thought it might be the output speed sensor and it wasn't. I took it to a dealership and they thouht it was the hornest because the asit from the battery got on the computer (PCM). It is not the hornest because I had someone look at it. Has anyone else ecperienc this and how did you fix
    it? Thanks, Michele
  • doberkidsmomdoberkidsmom Member Posts: 3
    I don't have an owners manual, so don't know what light this is....it's the 3rd light from left.....brake light, oil light, then this...........anyone please tell me what this light is and means asap! Thanks Doberkidsmom
  • makeladmakelad Member Posts: 2
    Help please....
    My 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan has just started getting an intermittent security warning light will come on during initial ignition and while driving. When it comes on while driving nothing happens. However sometimes (3x this morning) when turning the car on the light will come on and the car won't start. Turn the key to off and then back on ususally solves the problem and the car will start.
    Any ideas??

Thanks
    Darren
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    Does your van have a chip in the key? Sounds like maybe it is going bad and the van things a "non-authorized" key is in the ignition.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • makeladmakelad Member Posts: 2
    No... Normal key.
  • ghoyerghoyer Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan which just hit 70K. In driving it home this evening, it inexplicably began to beep. The beeping seemed to be coming from near the dashboard, but no lights were visible. It continued beeping for about 5 minutes when it stopped. Can anyone shed some light on what this might mean?

Thanks in advance.
  • blmurrayblmurray Member Posts: 2
    Did you ever get this solved. I am having the exact same problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • chafuqchafuq Member Posts: 2
    Yes I had to have the sensor replaced. As I recall it was pretty expensive. Make sure your gas is screwed on tight, I was told that could cause the problem, I tried that and it seemed to help for a short time. Hope this helps.
  • blmurrayblmurray Member Posts: 2
    This does help a little. If you now exactly what sensor it was it would be alot more helpful. How long did you have the van after the sensor was replaced. Did the van ever stall after that?
  • minivanman4minivanman4 Member Posts: 1
    1999 Plymouth Voyager
    1) My backup lights do not work (yes, the bulbs are good), and I've been told it is "probably" the neutral safety switch (NSS).
    2) In addition to that, my gear indicator lights are all lit when I'm in Park, and remain that way when shifting. Only when I select Reverse or Drive do the other lights finally go out.
    3) On top of that, I cannot manually shift into 1st gear, though when in Drive the transmission shifts through each successive gear without problem. This is only a issue because I live in a very hilly area and prefer to do what little I can to preserve my brakes, particularly coming down a snowy hill in the dead of winter
    4) Finally (though not really), my ABS light goes on and off intermittently, while the ABS system still seems to be operating.
    5) And finally (at last), my Air Bag light comes on at randon times, and then goes off whenever it pleases.
    Are any of these issues related? Does the (NSS) neutral safety switch come into play with any of them other than the back up lights?
    I believe I've located the NSS, but if anyone has a picture or diagram of its location that would be real helpful
  • driabbboydriabbboy Member Posts: 2
    I ALSO HAVE A BACKUP LIGHT ISSUE AS IN NO LIGHTS, 1999 DODGE CARAVAN, 3.8L V6. THE PROBLEM IS NEITHER LAMPS OR FUSES. I WAS TOLD BY A DEALERSHIP THAT A TRANSMISSON "SWITCH" IS THE CULPRIT. THEY STATE THAT IT IS LOCATED WITHIN THE TRANSMISSION AND THEREFORE WILL REQUIRE SOME DISASSEMBLY TO REPLACE IT--BIG BUCKS.
    SURE WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF MINIVANMAN4 HAS RESOLVED HIS PROBLEM OR IF ANYONE DOES KNOW IF THIS 'SOLUTION' IS WHAT IS REQUIRED.
  • carl_manleycarl_manley Member Posts: 3
    I ALSO HAVE NO BACK UP LIGHTS ON MY 1996 DODGE GRAND CARAVAN WITH THE 3.8 LITRE 6 CYLINDER MOTOR I WAS TOLD BY SEVERAL PEOPLE THAT IT'S A FAULTY SWITCH LOCATED INSIDE THE TRANSMISSION IT'S SELF AND IN ORDER TO FIX IT THE WHOLE TRANSMISSION MUST COME OUT AND I WAS TOLD THAT IT WOULD BE ABOUT $1,750 OR CLOSE TO $1,800 FOR ANOTHER TRANSMISSION AND THAT WHEN THAT SWITCH GOES IT'S ONLY A MATTER OF TIME BEFORE THE TRANSMISSION GOES SO THIS NO BACK-UP LIGHT SITUATION IS A PRE-CURSOR OF THINGS TO COME, I'M THINKING ABOUT BUYING A 2004 CHEVY VENTURE MINI VAN I BET THEY DON'T HAVE THE REVERSE GEAR SWITCH INSIDE THE TRANS AND DODGE DID THIS ON PURPOSE WHEN THEY MANUFACTURED THE CAR BECAUSE THIS IS A VERY COMMON PROBLEM WITH THIS MINI VAN THE MECHANIC AT THE DEALER TOLD ME AND SO HAVE COTTMAN TRANSMISSION AND AAMOCO TRANSMISSION AND EVEN MY NEIGHBORHOOD MECHANIC BECAUSE I ASKED EVERY DAMN BODY ABOUT THIS PROBLEM.image
  • dora0204dora0204 Member Posts: 1
    2002 dodge caravan, the only light that is yellow. all the other warnings are red, not oil,battery,seatbelt, washer, door, temp. which one is this, i tried turning the keys 3 times to get a code and did not get one. owners manual stolen.
  • pops419pops419 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 plymouth voyager.Had same problem.changed the 'idel air control sensor'.Problem was gone.
  • ginlizzyginlizzy Member Posts: 1
    After starting my 2203 Caravan it starts beeping for about 30 sec or so then it stops. Only does it after the van is started. No warning lights on the dash are lite Have no Idea why it is beeping. Anyone know? Thanks in advance
  • mkpolanskymkpolansky Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Grand Caravan that this weekend started having some weird electrical problems. When coasting, the illuminated boxes around the gears (PRNDL) all lite up as well about two seconds later the lights for the ABS, air bag, and just about every light on the dash. About 2 seconds after that, the headlights will turn off. The weird thing is when you press the accelerator, everything goes back to normal.

Any ideas?
  • guitarzan3guitarzan3 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2010
    There is a warning light that I've never seen that came on last week. Then just today the headlights and tail lights started blinking and the only way to get them to stop is to unhook the battery. Not sure if they are related. What is that warning light? It's not oil, it's not brakes, it's not anything I've ever seen. It's on the right side.
  • vsvaidvsvaid Member Posts: 1
    Hi

I was checking the internet site to see if I can find solution to my problem. I saw your posting. I have the same problem with my Dodge Carvan 2006.
    Were you able to fix the issue?

Thanks
    Vikram
  • rmccullarjrrmccullarjr Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 dodge grand caravan and last week ALL of my indicator lights came on including all the indicators that show what gear you are in were highlighted. You could not tell what gear you are in. I made it home and turned the engine off. I grabbed my code tester to see what the issue was, but the engine wouldn't turn over nor could I get the code. Took battery in for test and it was fine. Towed it to dodge and they said it was the battery. I was pissed but replaced it anyways. Got the vehicle home and all was fine. Today had the same damn issue. Has anyone had this happen? Logically speaking, its not the starter because it fired up with a new battery. Its not the battery because it is new. Testing the battery, it reads 12v. Im charging the battery now, so if it won't start after that, it has to be a computer issue because im not relying on the alternator to charge it! Can anyone give any advice?
  • semockrsemockr Member Posts: 7
    Your onboard cpu might be hosed, I had a problem starting my 95 Voyager at Home Depot last year and replaced the cpu.
  • weewillyweewilly Member Posts: 1
    Dash board issue is either loose wiring (e.g. ground) or bad IC chip set. It is not related to the
    oil light, my wife had both problems in our 98 Caravan and the best way to fix the dash board issue on an on going or temporary basis is the Fondz. Not sure of the spelling but the method works well. Just give it a wac with your fist on the dashboard panel. Works in our van every time. I believe though not yet proven the oil issue in our care is a bad sender unit. Out of time.
  • racefanf1racefanf1 Member Posts: 36
    I have a 2005 Chrysler T&C Minivan 90,000 miles and sometimes the Brake Warning Light comes on for no reason. E-Brake switch tests fine and plenty of brake fluid. I just changed all components calipers/pads, rotors, drums and shoes. I also changed the Master Cylinder which came with a new fluid level switch. Really tired of chasing this issue. Makes it really hard to sell the thing. Are their other issues that will make the lite come on other than E-Brake and fluid level? Ready to just drive it off a cliff.