Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Yukon Reduced Engine Power message

Comments

• teamradoteamrado Member Posts: 16
    After viewing through the messages, I see that Christina from GM Customer Service responds to some of the posts. Can anyone tell me if anything is being done by her about the problems that she responds to.

Thanks
  • breze022breze022 Member Posts: 8
    i have given her my info twice and no reply back .bottom line is GMC has to recall every truck back from 2003 to 2011.just this afternoon i went to get gas and once i went to start my 2003 yukon denali it didnt want to start the service stabilty disable came on and it doesnt let my truck power up just power from the battery..no crank over
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    lstokes,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle? Since you have had your vehicle at the dealership four seperate times, have you spoken to GM Customer Assistance? Please keep me posted.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • donewithgmsdonewithgms Member Posts: 24
    Caron from GM Customer Service responded to me. I sent her the information and she assurred me on May 20th that she would get back to me the following week.

I haven't heard a single thing from anyone at GM.

It appears that they respond just to give the appearance that they are concerned. So that the impression is that they are doing something.

I have never seen anyone post a followup, saying that GM customer actually did anything.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited June 2011
    I know of one off the top of my head.

rbahnsen, "GMC Acadia Problems and Repairs" #1123, 21 May 2011 4:31 am

Probably some others but I haven't been keeping score. Easy enough to send them a reminder; things do fall through the cracks.
    Hello Caron,

Any update?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    lol, I was thinking you could email them. You should have a case number.
    donewithgms,

Christina and I have both reviewed your case and the resolution your agent gave you still stands. I apologize for any frustrations but all concerns are handled by a case by case basis. If you have any questions please feel free to email me or speak directly with your agent. If you need your case number I will be happy to provide it.

Thank you,
    The original resolution was sorry your car is no longer covered by the warranty and there is NO RECALL... yet, but save your receipts in case there is one later.

I did talk directly to my agents voicemail today. I have the file number.

I think the resolution that most people on this thread are waiting for is a RECALL.

So if your vehicle is off warranty, don't bother to call or email the response will be the same.....not interested.
    jh223344,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Have you spoken with GM Customer Assistance? Has the dealership involved Technical Assistance? Please keep me posted.

Thank you,
  • iamgoofy21iamgoofy21 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Denali that first about 3 weeks ago my speedometer broke. Just doesn't work anymore. I've read this is a common problem and there is a civil lawsuit, but no recall on it and the car has to be under certain mileage which of course mine no longer is. About a week later my car dash lit up light a christmas tree and wouldn't start. All guages stopped. Had it towed to a shop where they said it was the battery. Had a new battery installed. Today I got in my car started it and got my check engine light on, A message saying reduced Power and traction stabilizer disabled. My husband is currently deployed and I drove cross country (literally coast to coast) to be with family during this hard time. And now my car won't work and I have to drive it back home cross country so I can get home before my husband does from Afghanistan but yet I can't even trust my vehicle going down the street. What is causing this? Any ideas to fix this? My husband and I really don't have the money right this second to fix it as I just traveled cross country for support and I just need to get back home so I can be there when my husband gets home.

Any ideas would be great. Thank you
  • datsamoredatsamore Member Posts: 10
    Goofy,
    I don't know much about the speedo, except that it is electronically driven verses cable driven.
    My 03 Sierra dash used to do funny things too. I went through battery after battery until I found the main ground strap bolt at the engine block, was loose. So, at least mention that to the repairman.
    My :Reduced power screen comes on and the truck goes into ;limp mode, no throttle response, probably once a day. I am reluctant to replace expensive parts only to still have the problem like so many other posters have.
    Its too bad Caron or other posters can't post a proven remedy!
    Took my 03 Silverado to my GM dealer last year about the speedo problem and they told me GM had a campain to fix them and all I had to pay was a portion of the labour since my mileage was high. Had about 200,000 km on vehicle ( live in Canada) and cost me about $75.00 to have replaced. As for the reduced power good luck have same issue with 03. Comes and goes whenever it wants too. Not sure what to do about that issue.
  • jtm204mjtm204m Member Posts: 1
    Same problem re "reduced engine power" for a third time. Comes on w/o warning. This seems dangerous to me. Had throttle body replaced last time. Anyone interested in a class action suit?
  • breze022breze022 Member Posts: 8
    This is a serious problem and gmc doesn't care until some one really gets hurt.I actully found out it's may be the pass lock going into disable mode causing the truck to lose power..I'm having this problem after I turn off my truck it's goes into system disable mode and then I have to wait ten minutes with the truck on acc mode then it will crank up
    jtm204m,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Have you brought the vehicle to a GM dealership to be diagnosed? Please keep me posted.

Thank you,
  • sickofrepsickofrep Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 1500 HD Chevrolet Silverado. Bought this truck new and as of right now it has 183,225, miles on it. I started experiencing the dreaded REDUCE ENGINE POWER around 120,000 miles. When it first happen I rushed down to local Chevrolet dealership. Was told the cluster/instrument panel was bad and my throttle body needed replaced and this was what caused the REDUCE ENGINE POWER. So spent a couple grand to have the “bad parts replaced” and like any normal consumer I expected that to solve the problem. Well needless to say it didn’t fix a thing. I bet it’s been taken back to the dealer 20 times in 3 years and to this day still no fix. I’ve had wires replaced, grounds replaced, another throttle body replaced and other things that haven’t fixed this major problem. I can drive the truck for months and it never happens, then out of the blue REDUCE ENGINE POWER again. The REDUCE ENGINE POWER comes on when rains, when it’s dry, when it’s hot, when it’s cold, when the heater is on, when the a/c is on, when the radio is on, when everything is cut off, when the fuel tank is full, when fuel tank is empty and whenever it feels like it. In the last 5 days of driving my truck it has gone into REDUCE ENGINE POWER mode 28 times. I believe Chevrolet Corporation knows this is a major problem and they just don’t know how to fix it. Reason I believe this is I’ve called other dealerships, asked them if they have had any issues with REDUCE ENGINE POWER been told no hasn’t been a problem here. So for anyone asking why I haven’t taken it to another dealership to have them work on it, that’s why: I know for a fact they are lying by saying they haven’t had any issues. Just look at all forums on the internet, you can see how major this problem is and we are suppose to believe Chevrolet when they tell us “know hasn’t been an issue with us”, I say BS.
    I think this problem could be something involving fuel. It could be the fuel injection, fuel pump or just the cheap gas we now have to put in our tank. What I did during my lunch time today was put some fuel injection cleaner in the fuel tank, then went and put $30.00, worth of no ethanol fuel in the tank. Driving back to work after this the engine light didn't come on and no reduce engine power mode either. I have my fingers crossed that this does the trick, but I kind of doubt it.
    If anyone out here has any ideas that may help I would greatly appreciate it. I will post how the no ethanol fuel works for me.
    My codes have been: P120, 220, 1515, 1516 & 2135.
    Also, For what it's worth I did file a complaint with the NTSB.

Thanks
    edited July 2011
    Hello Jtm204m, the apologies will sound familiar,but in the end unless your tahoo is still under warranty, GM Customer Service will do nothing to help you.

By the way, my customer service agent as not returned any of my calls requesting an update on any resolution that GM has come up with to solve the problem.....even though they have my phone number and my file number.
  • mark278mark278 Member Posts: 4
    i've owned my 2003 gmc yukon denali now for 9 years and it now has 280000 miles on it. I took it back to dealer alot when it was under warranty for the reduced engine power light and service stability. the service stability i later fixed at about 100000 miles by tighten the intake manifold gasket down some but it done the reduced engine power a few times a year sometimes more often up until about 270000 miles and i replaced the throttle body and the oxygen sensor and it hasn't done it since.all i had to do was pull over and turn it off and crank it back up after the reduced engine power light and it was fine. my gmc has only had the oil changed every 10000 to 12000 miles and radiator changed a few years ago and has not had any other maintenance done and still runs and drives like it did when it was new and doesn't use any oil so i would have to say that there has been enough good to make up for the reduced engine power.
  • joanne21joanne21 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2011
    I have this vehicle and it has 75000 miles on it. Does anyone know if the gas pedal module is covered on the 100,000 mile warranty? I know they did some changes in 2010 to the GM warranties. I also had the message engine reduced power, something about throttle control and traction control. The Gm dealership told me I need to replace the gas pedal module. Not sure if I like these newer cars.
    Thanks in advance.
    joanne21,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. For specific warranty questions I would recommend contacting your local GM dealership as they are the best resource.

Thank you,
  • barnesbw3barnesbw3 Member Posts: 13
    I am interested in a Class Action Law Suit. Please let me know if anyone else is. My Yukon is completely dead. It has been in reduced engine power for over 50,000 miles. Wyatt Johnson GMC in Clarksville TN is a joke of a dealership. They say they've replaced everything from O2 sensors to gas pedal to gas cap and still can't figure it out. I've actually been in a wreck due to the vehicle going into reduced engine power. GM offered me a $4000 certificate towards FINANCING a new car. That is a joke. I will not settle for nothing less than a replacement vehicle. Pain, suffering, inconvenience. You have no idea what i have been through. Cutting out in the middle of the interstate. Busy traffic with my kids. Almost rear-ended at 70 mile an hour....and no loaner vehicle while GM engineers "look" at my papers....NOW, my truck sits dead at a Walmart parking lot and i have NO car. I can't take my son to a dentist appointment tomorrow, my 4 year old to preschool orientation....I need HELP.
    barnesbw3,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Since you have spoken with GM Customer Assistance could you please email me the case number? I would like to look further into your situation.

You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc.

Thank you,
  • paco51paco51 Member Posts: 10
    I'm interesting in any law suit because I have the same problem I change the engine, transmition, throttler body, gas pedal module, catalytic converters , and still have the "REDUCED POWER ENGINE'
    PLEASE NOTIFIED ME
    I forgot to mention that I own a suburban 2004
    I'm on it
    My yukon was actually in an accident because of it going into reduced engine power. My claim was forwarded to Esis GM and I am waiting to hear from their 'engineer' and 'legal' who have taken a look at the 50 plus pages I had to scan in but no one has ever physically looked at this truck which is now DEAD. The dealership here, Wyatt Johnson, Clarksville TN is a joke. My truck was there over 25 times for reduced engine power and as you all know, reduced engine power, stabilitrak, etc comes and goes. If you turn your truck off, it may go off. It's like a ghost....you never know when it will happen. Well, when I would take it to the joke of service dept while it was in REP, they would check it in and not look at it right then and there. So of course, when you turn it off, and look at it a day or two later, IT MAY NOT BE IN REP. That's what they reported to the engineers. But, tell me then, why did you replace motherboards, o2 sensors, gas pedal, gas caps, wire harneses, etc. REALLY? Liars. This has been going on for over 50, 000 miles and with it continueing and no solution being able to be permanently fixed, the car continued to decline. Most recently, when my Yukon would go into REP, it would just cut off no matter where we were and how fast. On the interstate at 70 mph...NO JOKE. Sometimes, it would take then 30 minutes to restart. All systems were failing all stemming from the continueing REP not able to be fixed. PLEASE start this class action suit. I feel my reply from Esis GM is not going to be a replacement vehicle. This is going to kill my family if we stay in it.....if it ever runs again.
  • ebonyhebonyh Member Posts: 5
    We have a 2004 GMC YUKON.  Since we've had it, Reduced Engine Power has become a constant and dangerous problem. Most recently, yesterday, my husband was trying to accelerate to pass a slower vehicle with huge tires on the back only to have this happen. If someone had been behind us, we would have been hit, seriously injured, maybe even dead with some of the circumstances we have had on the interstate. Today is August 23, 2011. We had this vehicle fixed on July 28, 2011, paying almost $600 for it to be taken care of. It says on the ticket that we told them about it and were under the impression this would take care of it.  They replaced the accelerator pedal assembly, which I believe included the app sensor, and cleaned the throttle body of excessive carbon build up.  After spending $500-600, I want to know why we are still having this problem along with so many others I have seen complain about it online? GMC has a KNOWN PROBLEM that needs to be resolved.

This is the complaint I filed with NHTSA. I got in touch with an attorney today, and I filed a complaint with GMC yesterday. Please do the same, get a case number, and make them recall and replace these faulty vehicles. I write this as I sit in my local GMC dealer's waiting room. I am so sick of this happening. It is scary and completely unsafe.
    well I have the same problem, I complain to HTSA and to GMC I fine out in the internet that can be the Harness that's go to the throttle body I even change the engine in my suburban 2004 the catalytic converter and the throttle body, and the gas pedal module, and still the same problem, the GMC is telling me to bring it to the near dealership for diagnostic, but I'm not going to do that because they do not the problem and I will spend thousand dollars for nothing, please make complaints and get a lawyer
    I change the catalytic converter in my suburban for the same problem Reduced Power Engine and still the problem there
    Let's get a class action attny. What are we waiting for?
  • denali2004denali2004 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Yukon Denali w/ 45,xxx miles. I've experienced this problem a few times in the past, but it was always on start-up. However today I was driving to work in rush hour traffic and my vehicle died right after changing lanes in a 2 lane curve. I obviously lost power to the steering and all other accessories. Luckily I was able to make it safely through the turn as I shifted the column into neutral so that I could maintain the momentum through the turn. As I was rolling in neutral I started the vehicle back up only to receive no power as it was displaying 'reduced engine power'. As luck would have it, there was a decent break in traffic where I was able to immediately cut across the 3 lanes of traffic to the shoulder and limp to the next turn off. After turning off into a parking lot I shut the vehicle down for a minute. Then as if nothing ever happened my Denali started right up and allowed me to finish my commute to work. Definitely gave me the nauseous feeling from the adrenaline dump and pretty much ruined my day. Now I'm sitting at work concentrating all my focus on Google searches for possible fixes as I'm concerned about driving this to any of my meetings today, let alone home. As it sounds no one has had any luck with figuring out what exactly causes this, i would be interested in joining this class action suit. I couldn't imagine the feelings this issue has caused to those on this post who had family or friends in the vehicle when this happened, or those who were involved in a accident due to this.
  • pssdatgmcpssdatgmc Member Posts: 17
    Your customer service is the worst I have ever experienced.. People don't speak english. And talking to me from the Philipense?? What do they know about an Suposed American made vehicle.. Out source our jobs to people who don't even speak english.. I am on board for a class action lawsuite. Was told by these reps that know one at gmc what so ever can tell me why the light comes on. BS.. got to start a blog on why not to buy GMC and make my case clear.
    Without question GM has the worst even beyond Directv customer service. They have no clue and according to thier customer service reps out of the Philipeans they could care less if my son gets killed because of this. They tell my there is no one at gm that can even tell me why the light comes on.. Yet they want you to take it to a dealer so they can soak you.. Got to stand up. Make a large impact by voice. I have not even put 12,000 miles on this vihicle ( used) well under 100,000. and they will do nothing..
    yes I'm in!
    Give me a break they have no idea what it is either!
    Give my a break pal they don't know what it means either.. I was told directly by a GM rep that no one in the company knows why the light comes on.???
  • lavonplavonp Member Posts: 1
    I would like to talk to you about this problem live.. here is the short version. I have had this same problem and all it was is a fuse....I changed the fuse underthe hood. The one that says speed sensor and it fixed the problem.. let me know if this helps.
    pssdatgmc,
    I apologize for your frustrations. You stated Caron has the worst customer service but did not give her the opportunity to speak with you or work with you. I don't know what’s happened with your case or situation; however, we are from Michigan not the Philippines. If you would like to send me your case number I would be happy to look through it. This way I will understand what has happened and what actions have been taken. I look forward to your response! :)
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • twalstontwalston Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 Chevy Tahoe. Same problems as everyone else. When I did change out the Throttle Body it worked really good for 6 weeks...was even able to travel out of state. But then the problem came back and now have unreliable and unsafe transportation again. Used this vehicle to pull our travel trailer and have not been able to in over a year because it is so unsafe. I am down with a class action lawsuit.
    Obviously GM is not going to do anything about this problem until they are forced to. I strongly urge everyone to file a complaint with the National Highway Safety Board. The more complaints the better off we are and it does'nt take very long to do it. In the mean time, hopefully no one gets seriously injured. My 2003 is going in on Monday again.
    AS FOR THE LAW SUIT, SOUNDS GOOD TO ME!!! Maybe that will get thier attention.
    I'm in!
    I followed some advise in this post. checked connections. all good put dry gas in and half tank of premium gas. and has stopped for time being. But refuse to put my son in the truck! When someone dies they will look at it, however by the way I was treated I don't think they care. Customer service should have a breif on what common causes and solutions are. If I had brought this in to a GM dealer noquestion I would have been charged $100.00's if not $1,000.00's and it would still be happening.. I am all for class action. I suggest trying these things.. I'' ll keep posted if there is a accident or if it happens again.

As far as a case # I can't find them, thats right them in one phone call got 2 differant #'s from 2 people. And Jaun from Texas? said they should have been the same So the Philipene customer service agents gave me a bogas #. What do they care they are in another country.
    pssdatgmc,
    Can you please send me your contact information? I would like to look up your case(s). I apologize for your frustrations; however, the only way we are able to look into this and try to get your concerns address is if you are willing to work with our eyes and ears in the field (your local GM Dealer). This helps us get a good understanding of what is happening. We also have different options for dealers to get assistance when facing difficult diagnosis, such as technical assistance. They have information on common causes and places and things to look into; unfortunately, that is for the technical staff only. The dealers also offer a parts an labor warranty on repairs. I look forward to your response. Have a great weekend!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    stevenea3@yahoo.com is my email. I have called , called emailed and get nothing. However if you want to send me a e-mail that would be fine. Eyes and ears in the field just want to make money.. They dont want to help honestly.. I called them and expressed my concerns they said they would call back but never did.
    Other things I believe in and have posted.:
    I'm watching the dedication to Dr. Martin Luther King. I see no representative for the poor, the people who need help, or should I say 70 % of the american population. In witch he stood for. I saw reps from GMC who out sources their customer service to the philippines ect. Rich representative from Walmart, and we all know who really owns that company (CHINA), All done for the media and politics. For all good that he has done. I find it disrespectfull to honor him with such un patriotic businesses.
  • twalstontwalston Member Posts: 2
    Just dropped my car off AGAIN!!! Picked it up 2 days ago from being "fixed". I am going to take your advice and put a complaint in with National Highway Safety Board.
  • ntilghmanntilghman Member Posts: 2
    We have a 2005 Tahoe and are having this same problem. We have taken the car to two different Chevrolet deealerships in our area and spent over 1,000.00 on attempted repairs, that haven't fixed the problem at all. We have had the throttle body and actuator replaced. I have even limped straight to the dealership service dept. while it was actively displaying the reduced engine power and stability system disabled messages in hopes that they could pull an accurate code. Still generic throttle body codes. We basically have a non functional vehicle and no way to repair it, because the service dept. doesn't know what to do next. Has anyone had any success with fixing this problem? It is so dangerous. We are filing a BBB complaint as well as NHTSB complaint. GM needs to recognize that this is a widespread problem and offer some sort of solution..........
  • ntilghmanntilghman Member Posts: 2
    This is the address to file a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. It takes several thousand complaints before a recall can be issued. Please go to this link and file a complaint if you are having these problems. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
    Maybe this help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I when to change everything from engine to catalytic converter and nothing solve the problem, so I spoke with my mechanic and I mention the throttle body and also about the harness to the throttle body, and what he did was disassemble the harness and twisted the wires and put it back in in the harness with the pins, and so far that works I’m riding my suburban 2004 for 500 miles without the problem yet.
    so I’m assuming that to fix the problem have to change the harness to the throttle body with a new one
    Good luck
    twalston,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Is your vehicle currently at a GM dealership? Please keep me posted.

Thank you,