Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Yukon / Yukon Denali

Comments

• obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    So the tips alone are $250? And the rest of the system $350? Something doesn't make sense here.
  • pmagganpmaggan Member Posts: 62
  • mjwillsmjwills Member Posts: 46
    Has anyone noticed that their rear doors are rubbing in the lower right inside corner as you face the door? Dealer had to replace the black plastic piece and painted the inside doors. It is rubbing again and I have to take it back in. Any thoughts, besides a hammer?
    I have an 02 DXL. The fit on the trim around the disc player and computer is not great, how are yours. It creaks over every bump. The dealer has added foam behind it to no avail. Does yours have a slight gap along the top (below the radio trim)?

Any thoughts on getting a better fit?
    A few of you have mentioned that there was a surging when the vehicle is setting idle. My dealer had to replace the throttle body to fix this.

I also had a clicking when the HVAC was on - dealer had to replace the blower motor.

Had a metallic squeek going over roads. Dealer had to replace a part in the rear brake.
  • lobsenzalobsenza Member Posts: 619
    I had this problem with both rear doors. The dealer adjusted both doors, and trimmed the cladding. One door is fixed and the other has to have a second adjustment.
  • csi35csi35 Member Posts: 28
    Installed a 3rd party locking gas cap and after 10 miles gas gauge quit working. Had to re install original cap. Any reasons?
  • lobsenzalobsenza Member Posts: 619
    is an integrated part of the emission control system. The replacement cap probably did not meet some specification of the original. I know that if you forget to fully tighten the gas cap after getting gas, the check engine light will come on.
  • avolvofanavolvofan Member Posts: 358
    lobsenza is on point. The gas cap must seal the gas tank completely as part of the emission control system (evaporation control to reduce hydrocarbon emissions). Fortunately, GMC sells a locking gas cap. Check the parts department at the dealer.
  • bberisford1bberisford1 Member Posts: 18
    The rear of my lower body cladding inside the rear wheel well seems loose. Anybody else have a similar problem?

Barry B
  • erinsquarederinsquared Member Posts: 178
    Did you compare the fit for the other wheel well to see if it was similar. When I wash the car and press against some of the cladding, I notice a small bit of play that I attribute as being normal.
  • ezraponezrapon Member Posts: 348
    the Denali for its performance on road and off road? I realize that with out a low range, they might have limitations. Does the all wheel drive also hurt its off road ability? Is this basically just a concrete contender? I hit 2000 miles this week, added Mobil 1 and a K&N filter. Tomorrow I'll try a tank of 93 octane. I have already humbled my co-workers new Navigator, but have my eyes on bigger fish. It does seem to be quicker with a few more klics on the speedo.
  • blockislandguyblockislandguy Member Posts: 336
    Ezrapin, you "humbled a Navigator"?

What did you do, climb in over the door sills and lower your third seat faster than he could use his power seat clicker?

Show him how a heavy, old fashioned rear axle is better than an independent rear suspension as a deep water mooring?

Denigrate his rack and pinion steering as just too nouveau for words?

Compare the cost of rebuilding a two valve head 15 years down the road when the vehicle is on its fourth owner with the cost of rebuilding a more easy breathing, modern three valve head (after all that third valve is about $10)?

Compared an interior taken straight from a pick up truck to brushed stainless?

Compared manually opening a tail gate with a power rear door?

Compared your fixed running boards that put nice stains on your trousers from December through March with his power deployables?

I'm truly puzzled. Please advise.
    A ford fan no doubt. Why are you browsing a GM site? I will enlighten you! Pull your overweight clown-car-roofed, Mercury up to a stop light... stomp on the gas and see your independent rear end-multivalve, low torque, navigvator be humbled... i.e., you will get an excellent view of the Denali's tail lights and solid rear axle. As a former motor head, I find great satisfaction in leaving more expensive cars and their owners in the dust. I once had a turbo buick regal and enjoyed showing Corvettes, Mustangs, and Z/28's the rear end. I'm older now but no wiser... it's still fun. Bring on the Navigators. Watch out Escalades.
  • blockislandguyblockislandguy Member Posts: 336
    Ezrapon, nice response.

PS There are no "former motor heads." We're motor heads until the last processional ride in a Coupe de Vulgar.
    Also, don't forget the Autoride system - it transforms a truck ride into something that BMW and Benz owners thought was their exclusive province.
    The Denali is definitely one of the fastest performers in the full size SUV category. I have seen one site post around 7.5s 0-60 times on-road which I find quite credible. http://www.mtdemocrat.com/display/inn_2002_auto/L0411_A.txt

Off-road, the Denali has not received much attention because it really does not have the ground clearance, skid plates, and low range gearing to be considered a "true" off-roader. With a 6.0L and plenty of torque, my guess is it would do quite well off-road; but who wants to take a $50K vehicle and risk scratch & dent? I have driven in soft sand, dirt and mud and found the Denali fully capable in this environment.
  • bberisford1bberisford1 Member Posts: 18
    Both sides are about the same. I can move them up and down about 3/4" (at the extreme inside, farthest from the exterior of the vehicle. I expected it to be tight with no movement.

Barry
    I had an old cj-5 jeep back in the late 70's. I paid about 2000 bucks for it treated it accordingly. There is a lot of new construction where I live and every time I pass one of the more treacherous looking sites, I feel a twitch deep inside that makes me want to pull over into the dirt and tear it up. More than the 52,000 price tag, the thought of the effort to clean it up afterwards ususally brings me back to reality and I meekly turn into my paved subdivision. I did take my wife's yukon out on a rather rough job site over the summer, but really didn't even need the 4X4 engaged. Tow trucks and police cars aren't near as funny as they were when I was 20. We'll get snow here soon and I guess that will be a good test. Blockislandguy... i guess you know the motor head siren song. It's about the throw you back in the seat torque... and smoking tires, too bad Denalis can not produce any tire spin. My 2000 SSEi lit up the front tires like weber kettles, but I never got used to the front tires smoking. It never looked or felt right. Good to see a little life back on this site.
  • jammon1jammon1 Member Posts: 28
    If you are talking about the running board step cover on the inside of the rear wheel well - then yes I had the same problem. A poor design by GM. On my dad's and my Denali we pulled the rear wheels off, drilled a hole through the step cover, put an aluminum pop rivet in, and painted it with touch up paint. That solved the movement of the cover. On some you can actually hear a rattle noise caused by the loose cladding when driving.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    dont buy a Suburban/Yukon XL/Denali/Escalade

why?

1. Pushrod engines - Instead of improving efficiency and gas mileage, they lower both of them because of their lack of overhead cams, Variable Valve Timing and/or Variable Induction System. plus they are too harsh and accelerate slowly
    2. Poor crash tests - Silverado, which is based on Suburban or the other way around, got only a MARGINAL in crash tests scores
    3. Lack of airbags and safety features - ONLY side airbags are available, nope..no side curtains here! also the Traction Control System and Stability Management System isn't as advanced as the Japanese
    4. Poor build quality - why are u paying 50K for a Suburban with fake wood inside?? call it Escalade!..not worth it, believe me..ive had experience..also, the GM "parts bin" gives the same materials and plastics from the low-quality Suburban/Tahoe to the Escalade/Denali..NOT WORTH IT!

So why buy Japanese?

1. New Infiniti QX56 - the size of an Escalade with a sexier interior with the latest in safety, technological, and mechanical features..better gas mileage too..better overall resale value and much higher-quality at a couple-of-thousand dollars less
    2. Toyota Sequoia - higher quality and STILL BUILT IN US..wow! was it a miracle or what? more safety features too
    3. Nissan Pathfinder Armada - new and capable of everything

**remember this: even the 2004 Lincoln Navigator has more sophistication in it! It just needs a more powerful engine..
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Perhaps you were looking for the Suzuki Grand Vitara discussion. You appear to be lost.

tidester, host
    could even move to Japan as he is total taken by their SUV's which at best are mere copies and knock-offs of the aforementioned American made cars. He also needs to look at torque curves of the engines he mentioned.
    hmm..well u must not notice how much they have improved over the years <japanese mainstream luxury> compared to others...still seems america is lagging behind..
    and the host of this discussion owns a "98 Mercury Sable" which Edmunds.com says has a "rental car persona" and ezrapon owns a Pontiac..which is a pretty reliable and sporty car..so nothing bad said..
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    The hosts of this discussion prefer that you stay on topic and strongly urge you to do so.

tidester, host
  • orwoodyorwoody Member Posts: 269
    2001 Denali purchased new, driven over 40k miles and I have nary a nit to pick. Has been solid and more relaible than a friend's 2001 Sequoia. It's the most reliable vehicle we've ever owned including other GM, Ford, Toyota, Subaru and Volvo.
    I am on my second Denali - the first one was so great that when GM offered a combination of 4 channel StabiliTrak and the range of financial incentives on 2003 models, I decided to trade my 2001 for a 2003. I do not regret the decision - on either the 2001 or the 2003. Like orwoody, I have had hardly any complaints. Indeed, my 2003 is at the point where I am getting 18 mpg at 65 to 70 mph highway cruising. I was wondering if 18 mpg was a fluke that was limited to my 2001. Fortunately, it was not. To anyone looking at a Denali, I would highly recommend it.
    yukons this summer. A SLT for my wife, and 3 months later a Denali for myself. Neither have been in the shop yet. My 2000 SSEi Pontiac had a stall named after it... about 20 visits. I do have a loose armrest and my wife's SLT has a gas gauge problem... not really enough to take em' in. I keep waiting for something else to go wrong. Hopefully the warranty will expire before anything else crops up. I'll buy another. If I had known these cars were so comfortable and agile; I would have been driving one 4 years ago.
    Hopefully the warranty will expire before anything else crops up.

You'd rather pay for the repairs?
  • proudnjcopproudnjcop Member Posts: 7
    You mention a gas gauge problem in your wife's Yukon. Exactly what is the problem? I have a 2003 Denali and it seems as if it slowly creeps to 1/2 tank and then rushes to empty. Is this similar to your problem? I really don't have any complaints, love the truck although it does have a slight wind noise by the drivers window, don't know if that is normal but I'll have everything checked when I bring it in for regular service.
    The gauge in the SLT quit going all the way to full. It reads about 7/8 when filled to the brim. As for warranty issues, I'd like to go through the entire 3 years with out one problem...THEN; get the extended. The SLT has wind noise at the sun roof and drivers side window or windshield. The Denali is whisper quiet... with the sunroof shield closed.
    My 2003 Denali's gas gauge definitely creeps twoard the 1/2 mark and then drops like a rock. I recall this same situation with a Buick I used to have. Maybe it's a GM thing?
    its due to the shape of the gas tank......
  • jtbuffjtbuff Member Posts: 25
    Was wondering how most change their oil.I usually change every 3000 miles but when I check the oil life I still show 63 percent oil life left.Have a 2003 Yukon Denali XL. Really like the vehicle.Have had quite a few probles with it.Stabilatract,ride control and while we were on vacation in Fla.water came pouring down from the overhead consol so much that it filled the ash tray up.Got everything fixed.Did manage to get a pretty good warranty.Full coverage no deductable for an additional 72,000 miles.So the Denali is covered for 86,700 or until 2009.
    I have my 2003 Denali's oil changed every 5000 miles at the dealer. I take my own oil (Mobil 1 5W-30) and filter (Mobil 1). They charge me $11 labor for the oil change and lube. I figure for $11 it's not worth doing it myself. My oil life ends up around 50% at 5000 miles.
  • cornellpinoycornellpinoy Member Posts: 196
    I've done all the oil changes on my '02 Denali. My change oil light usually goes on around 5000 miles. I've only used Mobil 1 5W-30 and an AC Delco filter. I bought ramps rated to hold heavier vehicles. I've found the filter and drain plug very easy to access.
  • jkpsarasjkpsaras Member Posts: 29
    2001 Denali
    My oil light comes on around 4000 to 4500 miles. Been using Mobile 1.

Lot's of in town driving. 25 to 35 MPH. Lately, been using only "3" instead of "O". MPG went from 11.5 to 15.
    "3" and "0" ? Are we talking 3rd gear as opposed to drive? Anything that helps mileage is worth knowing. I have heard Mobil 1 helps and a K&n filter helps as well. My mileage has dropped this week for some reason. I'm thinking Missouri has switched over to the less potent winter blend. I usually can keep it near 17 mpg if the hiway driving outweighs the city driving. Maybe thats all I'm going to get. She sure likes to ping after shut down, I kind of like it. The wife's SLT with the 5.3 does not ping, but the Denali sounds so much meaner at idle... like a cabin cruiser...enjoy, all!
  • jkpsarasjkpsaras Member Posts: 29
    I did mean 3rd reather than Drive/OverDrive.
    I've also been using Amoco 89 octane.
  • kbmortonkbmorton Member Posts: 8
    I work for Verizon Wireless and since Verizon supplies the cellular network for GM On-Star, I get a Supplier Discount which allows me to purchase a new 2003 or 2004 Denali XL for 1 to 2% under Dealer cost. My worries are based on all the posts on the Denali problems site, I will end up with a purchase of a $53,560.00 pile of junk.

While I know that no SUV currently made is completely trouble free, I would prefer to purchase a Toyota Sequoia or Nissan Armada because they appear (based on posts) not to have the various problems that GM SUV's are subject too. However my wife really likes the looks of the Denali XL over the Sequoia or Armada (can't argue with her on that point),which may or may not rule out a purchase of either of those two.

Would welcome your options before I place my order for a white 2004 Denali XL with a sunroof, middle row captain chairs and rear DVD system (MSRP $53,560 - gotta love that Supplier Discount).

I look forward to your posts.

Thanks,
    And sell it before the 3/36 factory warranty expires or purchase an extended warranty. Some may say that the Denali is junk...but...it's expensive junk.
    I would also recommend the Denali. Regardless of which SUV you buy, if you are planning on keeping it past the factory warranty period, you need to seriously consider an extended warranty. With the extent of computerization today and labor rates being where they are, one failure can pay for the cost of the extended warranty coverage.

Another option (if you are concerned about reliability) would be a lease - your down side is limited and you can buy the SUV at the end of the lease if you have a keeper.
    Get the Denali. It's a no brainer. I have 2 and neither one has been back to the dealer. When cruising these boards, remember how many more GM suv's are on the road than any other brand. This would generate many more posts both positive and negative. GM guys, I think, are more likely to read and post in these boards than BMW, Lexus, or even Toyota owners. With a ratio of 100 to 1, (just an observed guess) you might have a better insight into the GM cars right here. Just my 2 cents. 70+ degrees in St. Louis today, where's the snow????
  • ducati11ducati11 Member Posts: 13
    I am looking at a left over 2003 Garnet Red Denali with sunroof, nav, captains chairs, heated block. With incentives etc the cost would be $42900. Sounds great, and I don't think it can be beat. More impressive is they are giving me $19500 for the trade in of my 2002 Bravada with several dings. This is a great deal, isn't it ???? I think I have to due it. My impression is that all of it combined is a killer deal, or is this just average?
  • decisionmandecisionman Member Posts: 2
    Just handed back a leased 2000 Yukon - no major problems and it was a powerful beast even with the 4.7L but ... cheapest interior I have ever seen, and nasty sound system. Reliability seems to be an issue for lots of owners, no airbags for the monkeys in either back row, and two-toned seats??? European??? French, maybe. LX 470 has better handling/fit/finish/reliability and, I'm guessing, snow roadholding. Sluggish off the mark, though, no XM, may be replaced soon, and Japanese maker (they "cheat" in trade - big barriers to imports from US). Seems like a girl's car, too. Thoughts?
    I also went through the exercise of deciding between purchasing a used '00-'01 LX470 or '01-'02 Denali. I wanted a luxury 4wd vehicle that would be used 95% on the road, but be a capable tow vehicle and be able to handle moderate off-road situations. Since I was buying used, I was not as concerned about dealership service experience where the Lexus would be much better. The LX470 has a perceivably higher build quality and is much more refined (smoother idle, superior materials and ergonomics). The LX470 third row seats are a joke except for the small kids vs. Denali third row seats which are slightly larger. Denali is larger in every interior dimension and the seats are some of the most comfortable in the business. The Denali has more "American-specific" features such as cup holders, plethora of power outlets, rear hatch etc...; these may seem silly but it makes a difference when living with the vehicle day to day. The Denali autoride yields far better ride characteristics (smooth ride, great cornering) and it has much better acceleration. This surprised me because the LX470 suspension appears so dynamic and sophisticated; drive both back-to-back and you will know what I mean. Denali returns 17-18 highway MPG on regular unleaded vs. a 14-16 MPG on premium for the LX470. Denali has a higher tow capacity and you see many more GM family tow vehicles than Toyota tow vehicles. I assume LX470 will be more reliable, but my guess is that long term ownership would be more expensive/aggravating since these rare vehicles are probably dealer-only servicable with expensive non-stocked parts. Denali is a low service vehicle with timing chain, 150k mile coolant, quick change headlight bulbs, 100k mile plugs etc...: LX470 has regular service intervals and a 90k timing belt service (big $$$). GMC parts are ubiquitous and knowledgeable mechanics plentiful, so my guess is that repair frequencies may be greater, but the overall price and experience better. AWD system on LX470 with low range is legendary and superior to Denali AWD. Denali high-torque 6.0L v-8 helps make up some of the disadvantage of a single gear transfer case which would only cause problems in off-road situations which noone except the filthy rich would dream of using either of these pricey vehicles.

My '01 Denali has 50k miles and I have all service records which show a repair history of an alternator belt adjustment and a replaced 6-disc CD unit.

Hope this helps you decide. Either way you end up with a great ride.
  • decisionmandecisionman Member Posts: 2
    Great review, with lots of information I would never have gotten otherwise. I appreciate you taking the time and writing it so well.
  • seiwebseiweb Member Posts: 2
    My first SUV was a beater Chevy Blazer I bought as a winter vehicle to protect my sports car. I like it so much I sold both vehicles and bought a Tahoe. I like the Tahoe so much I am upgrading to a Denali XL in a couple months. I only have two decisions left. Should I get the DVD entertainment system and Nav system or go with a protable system. Can anyone who has either tell me what they think.
  • orwoodyorwoody Member Posts: 269
    I bought a portable DVD player. The Denali entertainment center was a dealer add on when I bought (2001). I am very happy with the portable as we can take it in any of our vehicles as well as plug it in at a motel or wherever we're staying.
    I think portability in a navigation system would also be an advantage, although I've only used a rig with a navigation system in it once. I'm not a big fan of navigation systems in a car. A boat on the other hand...