Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Yukon / Yukon Denali

Comments

• seiwebseiweb Member Posts: 2
    What DVD system did you go with?
  • erinsquarederinsquared Member Posts: 178
    Has anyone added XM radio to their '01-'02 Denali? I have been looking at the Delphi head unit which mounts with a bracket and is transportable to different vehicles. I do not want to drill any unsightly holes in the dash and I don't really see a good place to mount the XM head unit without obstructing access to other console controls. How about a nice aftermarket head unit which would have XM built in? This would loose portability, but would integrate nicely. How about antenna mounting?
  • lobsenzalobsenza Member Posts: 619
    I added Audiovox aftermarket Sirius receiver to my Denali. I liked the lifetime subscription offered by Sirius. I mounted the unit on top of the area where the OnStar controls are normally located on my 01 Denali. I moved the OnStar controls below dash above the drivers foot so they are still accessable if needed.
  • orwoodyorwoody Member Posts: 269
    We are quite happy with it, although the units available today are smaller and lighter...
    We paid about $500 for a unit with a 6/7" or so screen. It has detachable screen which we hang over the back of the seat and I run the DVD player setting it in the front passenger seat.
    Wife and daughter ride and watch in back. (Dog wanders wherever.)
    I've seen some now that the whole unit will hang and it's much smaller and lighter for about the same price. We've put quite a few hours on it with no problems and it is very bump & jolt resistant.
  • ducati11ducati11 Member Posts: 13
    I just purchased a left over 2003 Denali, and "took" the navigation system because the price was right. WOW, it is an amazing system, it will even guide you to our cabin, a far ways into more remote South Dakota. The options are amazing, and the re-routing abilities are superior then previous navs I have tried, Portable that is. I love it, well worth it.

Concerning the DVD entertainment system, we did not get a factory unit. I was going to get an aftermarket Audiovox unit with 7 inch lcds built into the headrests. (the entire headrests are replaced by exact replicas with units built in - not curring), a dvd, rf modulator, and the ability to play 2 sources, one to each of the two screens. Total cost with 5 yr warranty from Ultimate Electronics was $2200. Much more functional than the factory, as each child could watch a different source and wear wireless headsets that only heard their screen. BUT, we chose to go with a g2g portable dvd player with a brighter 7 inch lcd, and an extra 7 inch lcd. Both with speakers built in, or wired headphones. 2 separate sources can be connected, and it has a better picture and can be used indoors or other vehicles. A "C" for appearance, but functionality, etc. WOW. Total cost with 3 year warranty from Sams club, tax included $585.
    lobsenza, thanks for the info. How hard is it to reroute the onstar controls? Does the plastic panel just pop out of the dash? I like your idea, because the onstar controls take up valuable realestate and I currently do not have the subscription - so who needs it there anyway. What is the battery life for these portable head units. I know some have a cigarrette lighter adapter, but a few units do not.
    I removed the instrument trim bezel. Make sure you put the vehicle in 1st gear to do this. Cover the hazard flasher button and the trim piece in front of it with masking tape (blue recommended) to avoid rubbing of the finish on the hazard flasher. Then the onstar removes fairly easily (unsnaps as I remember). If you want the unit to be hidden, you could simply find a place behind the dash to tie wrap it to. I wanted the buttons exposed, so I had to add an extension cable. I cut each wire and spliced in an extension. I think there were 5 wires. I soldered and shrink wrapped each connection and ran the onstar controls so they were above the accelerator, hidden from view, but accessable. I then mounted the Audiovox unit over the onstar hole with cables going through the onstar hole. I placed a piece of metal behind the onstar hole and secured the unit with 2 screws to the metal. So, the Audiovox unit is mounted to the trim bezel. It is out of the way and secure.

I used a PIE adapter so I can go into the stereo directly through the CD input. The power is from a lighter socket which I hooked up to switched power.
    Thanks for the information. Sounds like you did a real professional job. What PIE adapter did you use and where did you get it?
    I had to use the one that allowed the connection 0f 3 external devices because I have a slave CD changer (like all 01 and 02 Denalis). I don't rember where I got it from.
    How do you switch between the CD changer and the XM unit with the pie connector? Is it autosensing (i.e. turn on the XM radio and XM overrides the CD changer input)? Does onstar work with your setup? I have been looking at the XM commander and Delphi roady or SkiFi unit. Not quite sure which way to go, but want a portable unit to move between cars and the home.
    It adds an extra switch that allows you to switch between the CD changer and 3 external devices. The CDs must be in the changer in order for the external items to work.
  • mjwillsmjwills Member Posts: 46
    I have an 02 DXL. Has anyone else noticed that under acceleration the gauge fluctuates? Is this normal?

Thanks.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    during acceleration. Not sure what you mean by fluctuate.
    Your gauge should read about 20psi@idle increasing up to around 60psi@cruising speeds. Oil pump runs off the engine, so you should observe a smooth transition of the pressure depending on the engine speed. Perhaps your gauge or oil pressure sender is faulty? If you suspect a problem, take it in to the dealer immediately or you may be looking at a new engine.
  • mjwillsmjwills Member Posts: 46
    It does increase to around 60 at cruising speeds. But under hard acceleration it will get to around 80 and drop back to 60. I was not sure if the gauge should move at all. I guess that it sounds normal by your posts.
    Take a look back at message #1915 to follow a discussion on headlight options.

I put Sylvania SilverStar low beam bulbs with stock wattage on another car that had older halogen headlights and I noticed a slight improvement, but not much. It did improve the 'cool' factor since the beam is now lighter like an HID. I suggest you attempt this approach, since this will cost you only $40 in bulbs vs. $1000 +-$ for a true HID system.
  • csi35csi35 Member Posts: 28
    My oil gauge stays pretty much at 60. Accelerated from 55 to 90 and reading stayed the same. I have a 2002 Denali XL.
  • ezraponezrapon Member Posts: 348
    that have noticed a bit of headlight flickering. My 2003 Denali seems to do this every now and then. It's almost like you catch it out of the corner of your eye. Then when you start to take notice...it stops. Today, it even seemed like the instrument lights were flickering as well. Feels like a bad ground. Any bulletins on this?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is hoping to interview someone who is planning to buy a new vehicle in the next three months. If you are interested, please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com by January 1, 2003 with your name and daytime contact information.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• tdohtdoh Member Posts: 298
    I posted the following in the Denali buying experience forum, but since this forum gets way more traffic (and the Denali buying forum gets very little traffic) I figured that I'd post it here too...so please forgive me for double-posting.

What are people offering/getting as far as over/under invoice for an '04 DXL, and is the over/under more or less firm regardless of additional options (e.g., navi, DVD, captain's chairs)--i.e., is it fair and reasonable to pay a bit more than say $500 (just as an example) over because of additional add-ons, or should one stick with a cutoff point regardless of options?

Example--I'm in Northern California and am looking at an '04 DXL w/ navi, sunroof, and 2nd-row captain's chairs; according to Edmunds, MSRP (incl. destination charge) is $55295, invoice is $48437, TMV is $49782. IS TMV still a fair offer at this time of year or should I ask for much closer to invoice; and if so, how much (or, how little) above? Note--offer is before any rebates, bonuses, and/or other incentives and discounts are factored in.

Thanks!
    I apologize if this is old news or inappropriate to post in this forum...but for those of you looking to add an aftermarket DVD entertainment system to your SUV--Costco currently has one for $799 + $50 mail-in rebate. I don't know if all Costcos have it but it was recently listed on their website (looks like it's not there anymore); however, I was still able to pick one up at my local Costco the other day. Plus with Costco's generous return policy, if it doesn't work out--no big deal.

The vitals--it's a self-contained (screen and DVD player) overhead unit (similar to the factory), made by Power Acoustik; 10" flipdown and rotatable (horizontally) screen, two IR headphones, IR and FM transmitters (so that you can listen in through speakers), can play CD/DVD/MP3, aux input (at least according to the specs on the box). Sure you'll either have to install it yourself or find/pay someone else to do it, but for $749 after rebate I think it's a pretty good deal.
  • blockislandguyblockislandguy Member Posts: 336
    I drove a new Denali and a new Eddie Bauer today and had a chance to compare them. I can't figure out the popularity of the Denaili!

Lets agree that the exterior of the Denali is much cleaner and upscale compared to the cluttered two tone Eddie Bauer. Nicer running boards, too.

But the Denali interior is the same old Chev pickup truck interior we've seen for 10 years. No discernable wood on the dash, any color leather you want as long as it a mauve gray, and as an upgrade to the Tahoe, two doors on the console to better obstruct your use of the cupholders and change holders! (I suspect that in the real world these stay permanently open, so whats the point?). The EB interior had much nicer pig-skin colored leather, round chrome HVAC ports, some wood, overally it felt airier, etc. The Ford fold flat rear seat to me is a wash with the Denali removable third seat (although many Ford fans disagree).

The engines are similar (5.4 Triton vs. 6.0 for the GM--I didn't hear any cold start knock today on this winter day. Has GM cured this in 2004?); the Ford has rack and pinion and IRS, the Denali has neither. Both can be run in AWD come December 15. The Denali rode better; the EB without the air bag option seemed choppier. (I wonder though how long the autoride shocks are going to last and what you do for replacements. Do you trash the Denali autoride system and throw in Bilsteins?)

Lets run some numbers. Start with a "base" 4X4 Eddie Bauer and option it up to be comparable to a Denali. This means adding climate controlled seats, the safety canopy, trailer tow package, stability control and a moon roof. Do this and you are at an Edmunds TMV of $38098. The comparable Denali is $43767. Is the Denali really "worth" $5700 more?? What did I miss? Given the resale of the Denali I must have missed something big time.

As a final thought, if for whatever reason a guy really preferred the GM product, one could buy Yukon SLT (or a Tahoe LT) and option it up to close to the Denali. THEN you could pick up one of these dashboard wood kits that are advertized in the back of Autoweek and Road And Track and IMHO come up with a much nicer dash/console/door effect than the Denali.
  • avolvofanavolvofan Member Posts: 358
    It really comes down to what you are looking for in a truck/SUV. If you want rack and pinon steering, independent rear suspension and the E.B. interior, go for the Eddie Bauer. However, you will have less truck/SUV for your money. I rather doubt that the 5.4 liter Ford engine can seriously compete with the 6.0 liter Vortec; but I will leave that debate up to someone else. As you pointed out, the Autoride with the self-leveling air suspension of the Denali provides a better ride (regardless of how the ride quality is achieved....) There are enough differences between the Denali and the Eddie Bauer to justify the price difference between the two.
    Avolvofan, thanks for the post. But did the much commented on cold start knock problem go away in MY2004? Incidentally, compare sometime the Denali resale with that of anyone else. Its awesome. A one year old Denali has the same TMV as a used Navigator despite starting out as new vehicles with a 5K difference in TMV (The real starting point; not the inflated list price of Navigator). There is even a bigger relative difference between TMVs for one year old Denalis and Eddie Bauers than when new. Although the one year old Denali has still lost 11K (again TMV vs. TMV) in absolute terms. People must really like them to cause this fantastic resale.
    Blockislandguy, the Denali is a better truck/SUV. The fact that resale is as high as it is (even in the face of 0% financing) is testimony to that circumstance. When I traded my 2001 for the 2003, I got money back from the trade. The dealer actually called me to ask if I could bring the 2001 in ahead of schedule because they already had 2 interested buyers. That kind of interest in the midst of a recession (and all manner of factory incentives) is amazing.
    some of us old motorheads (yourself included) like performance. If you ever fire up a 6.0 in a garage and hear the deep rumble, it will bring a tear to your eye. They sound not unlike the old 396 big block chevys. Many people have complemented the sound eminating from mine. Too bad it does not have duals. Have you seen the Porsche commercial dedicated just to the sound of their new suv? My friend's 'gator has a more refined sound (quieter). I haven't heard the EB, but I assume it's not on the same level as the more powerful (yet slower) "Gator. Another reason for choosing the GM might be brand loyalty. Found on road dead (ford) vs (I'd rather push a chevy than drive a ford). Just my 2 cents. Denali is the poor man's Escalde; sans the ganster image... and 10 grand off sticker here in St. Louis.
    Ezrapon, isn't/wasn't the 396 called a "porcupine head" engine? (Man, this is a blast from the past. Next thing we'll be talking about "trips" on a 409 and why the 348 never made it.)

Avolvofan, yes the resale on the Denali is mindboggling. But allow a little bit of that for the limited supply and focused distribution: If you want one you have to go to a GM truck store for one. And there aren't that many GM truck dealerships. For example, only one that I know of in ME and only two in Eastern MA. By their nature, these dealers aren;t going to wheel and deal like a high volume, urban Chevy store, so perhaps the pricing is firmer.
    Ezrapon, please don't refer to the Denali as a poor man's Escalade. I have had two separate conversations with dealership sales reps who if they wanted to, could have got an Escalade, but went with the Denali instead. Both reps preferred the Denali - it has a firmer ride (they both commented that the Escalade lacked the sense of being connected to the road that the Denali has). They also commented about the acceleration performance of the Escalade being virtually indistinguishable from the Denali until after 60 mph. Personally, I am glad that GM has a higher end SUV that puts down-ward price pressure on the Denali. Absent the Escalade, I wouldn't be surprised if the Denali were priced a bit higher.
    The GMC dealer here in town has literally hundreds of yukons and denalis in stock at all times. For some reason he sells the denalis cheaper than the yukons 10/13 grand off sticker as opposed to about 7500 off on Yukons. He has about 100 denalis and probably 200 yukons. The Caddy dealer right next door has maybe 12 Escalades at any time and most of them have 22 inch rims, super chargers, and other off the wall add ons. As a poor man, I was not offered any discount on their rare (not tricked out) Escalade (only GM rebate was offered.) I sauntered next door and tried the denali, could tell very little difference, got 10 grand off and could not be happier. I couldn't tell any difference between the 2 as far as ride, luxury, and performance. A very thin line between the cars. Compared to a Tahoe, however, the Denali is way uptown.
    Ezrapon, a Denali at 10-13K off list is a final price below 40K. Isn't this below invoice? Like, way below? Even in the Show Me state this isn't possible. Please straighten out my math.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There's a $3,000 incentive in my zipcode, making the TMV for an '04 Yukon XL Denali ~$1200 below invoice ($45,459).

Click through this link and see what you come up with. I'm not sure what model trim you are looking at to get below 40k.

Steve, Host
    are on 03 model's. I would assume at this steep of a discount, one might give up the tire pressure monitor. 3 dealers in town are offering these discounts. lou fusz gmc has a web site that shows the newspaper adds at 11,500 off of sticker for all denali xl's. Other local dealers have offered at least a grand more off, again on 03's. If this is below invoice, then it is so. You loose the 0%. As for the 348, I think chevy had the 350 version of the 327 in the works as it had the 396 and 427 coming to kill the "she's so fine my 409"
    Maybe off a leftover '03 but no way on an '04, even at this time of the year, and even after incentives/rebates...unless there's some huge GM employee discount involved. And as others have pointed out, the discounts/incentives on the '04 Yukon models vary based on region--$2500 cash back (now does that mean $2500 off sales price before tax/lic/doc or after tax/lic/doc is included--there is a somewhat noticeable difference between the two as far as the final purchase price is concerned) or low GMAC APR depending on where you live...I guess GM thinks the Eastern U.S. people needs more stimulation than us left-coast people--how else would one explain 0% financing for eastern seaboard folks and 1.9% for western folks?
    the 1st 4 words of my last post said 03. If I was looking new, the 03 would be my choice if it had all the goodies I wanted. I believe the difference is a tire monitor and giving up the standard transmission cooler. As there is no change on the basic car, why not save 12 grand?
    TRdoh, think about it this way. The regional variation in GM incentive corresponds to the Red State/Blue State voter breakdown. The Bush people get big incentives, California and the Dems don't.
    Bush drives a ford....enough said!
    That's not fair, especially considering that I'm not a Democrat! LOL...
  • zaishyzaishy Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone had any experience with the factory installed GPS in the 04 Denali.\?
    I tinkered with one at the dealers and found that it required an elf,s fingers to manipulate.
    In addition the tiny knob to enter the data was overly sensitive because you had to use it for control and input and what took me 3 minutes to do on a portable Garmin took me 20 minutes on the Denali GPS. Any comments?
    Yeah, it requires excellent hand control to use it; too bad it isn't touch-screen like those on some of the other offerings...
  • ducati11ducati11 Member Posts: 13
    We recently purchased a 2003 Denali with Navigation, Sunroof, captains chairs. The only thing missing was entertainment system. Sticker 53545. We received $6145 off from the dealer (47400) than $4500 off for factory rebates and being on the manifest (4000 plus 500), and $1500 off in Gm rebate dollars. Bringing the price down to $41500. WE love this truck. We traded in a 2002 Bravada and they gave us $19500, 3 years old.

Concerning the navigation system. I can enter an address within 4 minutes. Plus if it is a business, all you do is enter the phone number and it is all there. Less than 2 minutes to do this. It is a little cumbersome at first, but after you do it a few times, the speed rapidly picks up. It has performed amazingly well. Try the phone entry for business', 1 minute the address and routing is there. Happy New Year
  • dako_tiandako_tian Member Posts: 298
    Hmmmm.... It seems that you are saying that you could look up the address on mapquest.com from home and print out the driving directions in less than the 2 minutes it takes you to enter even a business' phone number?!? All that and another driving distraction too! Such a deal! ;-)

Sorry, I'm one of those old curmudgeons who learned to figure out where I'm going before I leave (and probably abnormally blessed with a great sense of direction, if truth be told). I can even count change back accurately too! (Though I must admit also that I've had no opportunity to do so for many a year now.) ;-)
    I am one of the curmudgeons that dako_tian refers to. Navigation systems in general underwhelm me. Maybe it is a better sense direction, or whatever, but these days with the availability of MapQuest.com, I really have to work hard at getting lost. Now if you want to discuss an option that I really like, it is the XM radio - no need to juggle a collection of CDs, or switch from station to station as you pass out of coverage area - just select your channel and go.

For me, the Navigation System is more of a curiosity and a gadget that came with the truck. If they try to sell me a subscription for updates to the map database, I will pass.
  • zaishyzaishy Member Posts: 2
    With reference to the GPS system offered for the the Denali.It simply shows that someone at GMC is asleep at the switch.The technology today is way ahead of what Denali has to offer. The touchscreen is on most new models out there including the handhel Garmen.
    As for curmudgeons who cant see GPS.Let me tell you.I am an 80 year old curmudgeon and want to tell you youngsters out there when you get to be a sensior a number of things happen.
    Visual adaptation at night decreases which means street signs etc are more difficult to manage even if you have 20/20 vision.
    Oncoming traffic glare articularly with halogens becomes more trying
    I cn go on and on.The gist of it is that GPS is a blessing.When tht voice tells you 1/4 mil opn right is your final ETO. WOW!
    It is not a distraction at all because you dont look at the map.Your passenger may want to do that but you just set the destination and listen.What you have in essence is your own co-pilot.
    Zaishy, great post. I hope that when I am 80 I'll have the same energy that you have to be out at night, trolling around in a new area in a luxury SUV with someone attractive in the passenger seat. BRAVO.

The fact that Denali's NAV is not anywhere near state of the art is yet another indication that GM's technology lags badly (no safety curtains, only two valves per cylinder, pushrods,etc. etc.). But, the product sells and has less complaints than many of the leading edge (e.g., Mercedes E Class) manufacturers that may have good engineering buy lousy electronic integration.
  • dako_tiandako_tian Member Posts: 298
    touche! Good points all and congratulations on being a spry 80. :-)

Though only pressing hard on 50 myself, I'm thinking "spry" has a pretty good sound to it -- especially trying to keep up with our 5 year old and 2 1/2 year old! ;-)

There are some inconsistencies as far as the offered features/options between the foreign and domestic companies. The lower and middle trim levels on domestic vehicles have more features/options on them than the comparable foreign offerings. The lighted controls on the door, automatic-volume-adjusting stereo, electric mirrors/locks and excellent seat comfort on even my old 1999 F150 SLT Supercab are examples of things not available on any but the highest trim levels of Toyota or Honda bigger-than-passenger-car offerings. Add to that the Bose stereo, left/right/rear-individually-adjusted climate control, power driver's seat, auto-leveling, and quieter cabin of my Yukon XL SLE.

I'll give you that the top ends of both lines might leave the GMC's on the low side of the balance arm. But the situation reverses when you look lower down the trim level lines as I see it.
    Dako_Tian, nice analysis about domestic vs. import trim levels. You're right: a base US vehicle has more gingerbread on it than a base import. BUT the discussion wasn't about the level of gingerbread but about technology. GM seems to have decided (and probably rightfully so) that they can make more money by offering just enough technology to stay in the ball game and putting the extra money into marketing (i.e., rebates) and little features that people can see. GM, I think, feels that safety and engineering don't sell so they don't have leading edge safety canopies, dual caliper disc brakes, or even premium tires on their big SUVs, etc. etc. This, again, is probably a good business decision but it leaves the car nuts out there looking at the import market for the engineering features.

Saying it differently, I think that no one really gets up in the morning and decides to actually BUY a GM car (e.g, a Cavalier). Instead of people buying GM cars, GM SELLS them thru rebates, agressive dealer-level arm twisting, etc.
    I saw several 04 Suburbans today for 8 grand off sticker. I'm not in the market, but thought that was a pretty good deal. Probably a volume discount. They were at Elco chevrolet. Elco is Enterpise leasing's car outlet... big money dealer. Also had about 40 new vettes in stock. I think that's unusual for most chevy dealers. Looks like the new vettes (05) will have the 6.0 engine @ 400 HP. Vette taking an engine from a SUV...I'm honored!
    Ezrapon, while you might feel honored to think that Corvette is taking an engine from an SUV, don't feel too honored. The only thing that is shared between the two is the displacement. The block is different, the heads are different, the performance profile is different; I could go on, but I think you will get my drift. Lets feel honored about the engineering effort that has gone into each engine relative to the competition.
    You cannot automatically discount a pushrod engine as indicative of a low-tech engine design. There are a few advantages pushrod engines have over conventional overhead cam designs: less parts (cheaper to manufacture and less points of failure), lower friction loses (less parts rubbing together), smaller packaging (overhead cam hardware take space!). I think the Vortec engines are some of the best in the business. The 6.0L returns 320 HP, has a 6k rpm readline, is extremely low maintenance, and regularly returns 17-18 MPG for me on the highway @75-85 MPH. This engine still outperforms much of the competition even though the basic design is now a few years old. The computer controlled autoride and handling are the best in class for a full size, body-on-frame SUV. I have an '01, so I cannot speak for the Stabilitrak or the Nav system, but my guess is that the competition does offer better electronics. The nav. systems I've seen in Toyotas or Lexus seem to be hands above German and US Manufacturer offerings.

One thing the whole truck does lack is the refinement that people expect in expensive luxury cars. Things like the cold start piston slap and interior material/ergonomics are not quite par with the class. I personally bridge this shortcoming by the fact that I view this vehicle as a truck and am willing to live with the compromises since the overall package is so well executed.
    Erinsquared, good points about less is more in terms of GM engines and "You bought a truck, not a Lexus, so enjoy it". Incidentally, when an OHC engine overheats the rebuild cost is thru the roof. Chrsyler minivans with the 2.6 Mitsi engine ( DOHC?) regularly self destruct when the auxilliary cooling fan doesn't come on when you park it. The result is a big shock to the now-second, out of warranty owner. I shudder to think about the cost to fix our 2.5T Volvo engine if this cooling fan switch ever breaks after the warranty expires.

On the other hand, it would be nice if GM would go to a three valve or four valve head, improve the interior (climate controlled seats, maybe even offer "sport seats", heated steering wheels, safety canopies, less plastic), etc.