Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Who plans on keeping their Corolla for 200K+ miles?

Comments

• grossgagrossga Member Posts: 2
    Yes, I have had that problem with the gas tank on my 84 Corolla. For about 2-3 years it only filled up 3/4 of a tank. Now, for some inexplicable reason it goes back to full or almost full. The mechanic said it would be about $200 to fix it so I said no thanks. Here's hoping it will fix itself....
  • johnsonjhnjohnsonjhn Member Posts: 2
    I need some help - My 2002 Corolla with 100,000 is now burning oil - excessively ( 1 qt every 400 miles).

I have taken good care of maintenance items - change oil every 4000; change transmission oil every 30,000;- most of driving is interstate. It has been mostly in Illinois but 2 years in Colorado.

Mileage still is around 30 mpg and no loss of power just burning up oil. I think it is the valves but repair seems expensive..

Ideas?
  • sammybwoysammybwoy Member Posts: 4
    i brought a fifth-hand used 84 xl corolla and has changed the engine to 5a fe .. last year... suspension is ae91.. mounts r ae111 and in the process of adding an additional camber bar under the hood. i plan to keep it 2k years... my mechanic gave me a 6 for a 9 so I am d ultimate my-car mechanic... ever heard of ' damn it man.. keep trying all the bolts.. one's gonna fit somewhere'
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    What the hell are you talking about? What do all the numbers and letters mean?
  • electrobuzzelectrobuzz Member Posts: 47
    :D Thanks for pointing that out, Bottgers. I think the guy believes he is texting. :confuse:
  • bzribeebzribee Member Posts: 27
    I have an 87 Chevy Nova which was a Corolla twin. The Corolla part expalins why I am at 249, 000 miles--the Chevy part is the complete deterioration of the body. I did very little to keep it going--mostly ignored it. Did oil changes when I remembered, occasional tune-ups, a few radiator flushes and replaced the clutch at 150,000. If the body wasn't falling apart I'd go for 275-300,000. I still get up to 33 mpg, sometimes more. I can count on 30 mpg since the gas gauge doesn't work! Good luck with yours.
    came across a site that tells u that toyota uses a platform for parts etc,,, where u can combine varous parts once the platform is compatable.. especially where the dashbard panels are older and u need to convert cables etc to a newer model... i converted my engine to a 16 valve fuel injected,,, the engine crossmember was :) redesigned to fit the mounts, chassis fabrications were also done to fit mounts,, basically all u need is a welder to do a proper neat time consuming job... or do like me ,,, learn all the trades so all work on your toyota is done at home and done properly.. soon i intend to post my pics after i finish all the modifications on it...any useful info or comments ,, feel free to email me or post it
    there is a manual resistor type gauge in the gas tank... it has a sort of pointer connected to the float,,, what u need to do is check the adjustment and see if it makes proper contact right along the solenoid ... this gives u the readings that show u whether the tank is full or empty...i had a ke70 corolla and also my ae80 with this same problem... but its easy to check,,, once u take your time and open up the gauge device.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    that I plan to keep to 200K miles, which sort of counts here since most of the mechanicals are tried and true Corolla. :-)

I have had a couple of old Corollas out to 250K, so I know it could be done in the old days. Whether today's Corollas are still up to the task is something I am going to try to find out. I will report back in, oh, 12-15 years! :-P

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• dkarschdkarsch Member Posts: 72
    On those Corollas that had 250K on them, how many years did you own them? I have a 6 mile commute so I don't anticipate putting a lot of miles on each year. I figure it might rust out before the engine wears out...
  • bzribeebzribee Member Posts: 27
    20 years, same engine, still going, though not much longer? My commute is 12 miles each way.
  • denver5357denver5357 Member Posts: 319
    I have a 1993 Corolla DX with 74,300 miles (yes, I have had a short commute for years). As our "primary" cars have come and gone (now is a 2005 Ody for kid hauling) the Corolla has stood by us for almost 14 years. But - it isn't great when we have big snows. So I am considering selling it. I looked it up on KBB and I see "good" condition is $3310. Our Corolla is in great condition inside, and we have almost all the maintenance records, but it has a few dings on the sodes and one medium-size dent low on the front passenger door where my wife just recently (after 14 years!) hit an ice bank at the foot of our snowed-in driveway. Also have new (Dec 2006) studded snow tires. Question: What is a fair private party sale price? Given the age of the car, even with low miles, is $3,000 fair? Should I go for more? Also, am I getting close to timing belt time? Thanks.
  • nategliscznategliscz Member Posts: 1
    My 89 Corolla wagon has.....286,459 Miles....And it is still purrrin. I have NO plans to rid my "Bessie." I have maybe 5% rust, and only $500.00 Out side of routine maintainance. It a 1.6L Carb. I may buy another...We'll see. :shades:
    I've found if you check the value of your Corolla on this site, kbb.com, and nada.com, you can come up with a good indication of what it's actually worth. If you get greedy you'll probably just end up extending the amount of time it takes to sell.
  • denver5357denver5357 Member Posts: 319
    Yes, thanks. I've looked at all of those. My question was more about any inside tips on pricing. For instance, KBB asks whether the car is in poor, fair, good, excellent condition. Well, I think the car is good to excellent, given the low mileage, maintenance and condition of the body/interior. But it is almost 14 years old. Realistically, can a 14-year-old car be in excellent condition? Is good a better choice? Or is good even applicable and you have to look at fair? Stuff like that. I have been browsing Craig's List and I have seen 92/93/94 Corollas for sale for anything from $700 to $4500, so it is hard to tell.
  • dkarschdkarsch Member Posts: 72
    I did some website work for a auto wholesaler and I asked her what would be considered excellent condition for a used car. She said that if it could be put on a dealers lot with no reconditioning, flawless paint, etc. and had extremely low miles, then it might be considered. Any other vehicles would at best be a good rating.
  • agalasagalas Member Posts: 38
    Toyot's and Honda's are the best in the world.

I drive a 94 Corolla, 165K on it, 3 times in the garage. Plan on keeping it until the wheels come off.

Oh and by the way, check out 500,000 mile accord post on this forum. It links to youtube "to the moon and back chrinicles" in whicha guy documents in video cast his 86 Accord which is about to turn 500,000 miles and is still going strong!

If my Corolla can get anywhere close to this I won't need a new one until 2015 or later!

I will be able to wait until the 11th gen Corolla! (The one after this coming redesign)
  • sltintexassltintexas Member Posts: 1
    I got my 96 corolla from my parents and it had approx 160k miles on it. The power steering was leaking badly and their mechanic said it needed new rack & pinion which would cost a few thousand dollars. I had a buddy replace a hose for $190. That was about 2 years ago.

I am now at 191k miles and haven't had any issues besides a tail light burn a bulb.

This car was seriously abused prior to me taking it over. It wasn't uncommon for it to go 6k-10k miles between oil changes. My dad finally replaced the spark plugs at approx 150k miles prior to me getting it. If I had known better I'd think this car belonged to an crack house because it was so trashed out. It took my wife and I 3 hours just to clean out the interior. It had gotten so much hail damage it was totalled my the insuruance company and they bought it back. :cry: One day, my mom couldn't get it out of park.. she took it in and the mechanic took apart the shifter and it had so much spilled coke and half eaten french fries that it had clogged it up and it could switch out of park! :sick:

With 190k miles and an extremely rough life it is still chugging along and the AC blows ice cold. It leaks some oil which I have to keep an eye on....but for as old as it is and with as many miles as it has, I can't complain.

Every morning when I go out and it starts right up, I'm am absolutely amazed! I'm hoping to get at least 220k miles out of it. At the rate its going, that may not be a problem.
  • twocents1twocents1 Member Posts: 4
    Hello, brand new to the site so bear with me =)

I have an 01 Corolla in which I just hit 102,000 and still running strong. I have never had a problem with it other than replacing bulbs, etc. I always keep the routine maintenance on schedule...oil changes every 3000 and I change the radiator, tranny, and plugs every year as well as tires, (just to keep safe) since I mostly do highway driving.. (80 miles a day just for work). I did have a check engine light come on with a "bank one lean" code and a hesitation on acceleration which turned out to be a dirty mass airflow sensor...I cleaned that and it ran perfect once again.

The only thing I dont like is the lack of power..I wish I could get more horsepower out of it... "if anyone knows a way let me know =)"

In conclusion, I'm very happy with my Corolla and definitely plan on keeping it well over 200,000!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Welcome! :)
  • twocents1twocents1 Member Posts: 4
    Thx!
    :)
  • irismgirismg Member Posts: 345
    Although it's nice to know I can keep the car that long, I've already invested a new starter, a new door handle, and a new wheel bearing in this car, and it's bound to find other ways to slowly fall apart after 125K miles. I don't have any plans to keep my '98 that long. I've been well pleased with this one's performance, but I hope to have another car by the end of the year. I don't plan to duct-tape this thing together just so I can win some sort of 200K mile prize that doesn't really exist. Baby wants a built-in CD player and side air bags, and some wood trim would be nice, too. :shades:
  • stryker1dnstryker1dn Member Posts: 9
    hello im new to this site and want to give input, and recieve input and ideas. I have an 03' Corolla S, bought it in 2006 with 75,000 miles ( i know thats high), paying $10,300, i changed the oil, looked it over and kept a strict mileage sheet everytime i filled it. I was getting 30mpg when first bought. Then i got talking with people about synthetics, and changed my oil to Castrol part synthetic. Change it every 5,000 miles and it now has 85,000 miles plus, and getting between 34-40mpg, 400miles pr tank a few times. I changed my tires (will update with size), and plan to do more preventive maintenance. Only thing im wishing it had was a 6spd rahter then the 5spd. At speeds over 70-75mph it seems to sucks the fuel and give me only a 32 or mpg. But then again i am very happy. Im looking to see if theres ways to improve cornering, and im looking to see if they make a kit to change the rear drums to rotors, then install cross drilled rotors for cooling.
    well any ideas give a shout. I'll post more later as i learn more and gain better mileage.
    Ohh and yes im deff. plannign to keep this 03' Corolla, mileage is great, makes my friends cringe...lol
    Im new, and brousing forums and want to comment hear and there. I will agree with others changing spark plugs too often is a waste of money. I'd almost wait til it started acting up, or least check them once a yr. If well maintained you'd be surprised as to how much life you'd get out of the plugs. Another idea, and take it for what you want. I have an 03' Corolla and i use Castrol part synthetic since i bought it with 75,000 miles on it. Was basically told you can't do that, change oils, it hurts it. Well i've gained least 8-10mpg (almost 40mpg regularly). only thing i'll say is like my brother told me, if you change over and find it leaking then go back to regular oil. Regular oil sludges, and builds up, where synthetics don't, so when you remove something that stops a leak in say the oil pan, its best to go back to reg. oil.

Just my worlds of minor wisdom i've learned in the past yr of woning my car. and changing to synthetics can give you longer time between changes, i've heard studies say least 40,000 miles, but im surely not gonna test that theory...lol
    I got every 5,000 with an extending life fitler. works great. 5spd trans, and remember to shift up, more times then not my father has caught me and told me to shift to 5th, and wow what a diff. in mileage, so if you can use 5th at 45mph, do so.

thanks
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Welcome! Be sure to check out other discussions here in the Corolla group also! :)
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    77 DX - drove till 191,000 - had 3 months - in family since new
    85 SR5 - drove till 110,000 - had 2 years
    89 GTS - drove till 150,000 - had 10 and a half years
    95 DX - drove till 217,000 - had 11 years
  • digitaldragondigitaldragon Member Posts: 2
    If my 2004 Corolla S is as reliable as my previous Toyotas, I'll definitely keep it to 200,000 miles. I usually buy new vehicles, but I made an exception and bought the Corolla used a few months ago.

I currently have a 1990 4wd Toyota truck with 192,000 miles on it that I plan to keep it until Toyota imports their diesel or maybe puts a hybrid in a 4wd truck, both of which I figure are still a few years away, so I'll have well over 200,000 miles on the truck when I finally sell it. I bought this truck new in 1990 to replace a 1982 Toyota 4wd truck that had 180,000 miles on it. It was still running like new. I only sold the 1982 truck because I made the mistake of ordering it without air conditioning and because I wanted an extended cab.

I change my oil every 3,000-4,000 miles and do regular tune-ups.
  • toyoman3toyoman3 Member Posts: 11
    have a '98 with 250,000 I am trying to get more out of it by using synthetic oil, but it does use about a quart every two weeks, I do drive a lot and maybe using a thicker oil would help, but everywhere I read it says to avoid 10w50, even though a couple of mechanics have suggested it , anybody has any thoughts on the subject?
    Toyoman3:
    From my past experience and the teaching of my father (mechanic for many years) i know that if a vehicle calls for 10w30 then its best to stick to it. What ever the vehicle ask for "weight" wise keep it that way. As for the synthetic oils, i have had very good luck with part synthetic from Castrol 10w30 in my 03 Corolla. Thing is that i have heard from others is that if you try a synthetic and you experience leaks, one that are more often then usual oil, then change back to the regular. The thickening and sticking to the sides of the motor and pan are what keeps it from leaking. Now if it is leaking anyways and someone says put a thicker oil...hmmmm

ask yourself if you put something thicker into something of the same mass and apply the same pressure what do you think it will do. my thought it would bust something cause the oil is too thick to move and give. don't bandaid it. im not a ASE mechanic but i have learned enough to keep my face out from under the hood. Best thing i can say is stay with regular oil and have someone else look over the motor, or wash it down yourself and look for the leak, if its the pan area, it may be a very easy fix. Im sure others have opinions on this....

enjoy,
    scott
  • tpulaktpulak Member Posts: 44
    Does it have power windows, and locks? If so, you can sell it up to $4,000 bucks. In eBay, some corolla's , like yours are selling for like up to 5,000 dollars, but since you are private party, you can expect this much. ($4,000 )
  • jilliewjilliew Member Posts: 48
    I do, or as long as it keep running. I am replacing a '97 Subaru Outback that I drove for 11years and would have kept it if gas wasn't so high.It looks just like a brand new car inside and out. I met someone the other day that has a Corolla with 400k on it. She's going to get a new one. Unless you have a real :lemon: or some cheap piece of tin, most cars will go beyond 200k if you take good care of them, don't beat them up, and be religious about the maintenance. :D
  • bits4brainsbits4brains Member Posts: 11
    I'm buying a 2009 Corolla this week (waiting for delivery now). I absolutely plan to get 200k miles out of it. I'm trading my '93 Camry for the Corolla. The Camry has 267k miles on it and still has many original parts, like the alternator, starter, and muffler. I've done routine maintenance and only had one major failure -- the distributor at 199k.

1990 4Runner - totaled at 167k miles with original clutch. Was going to keep that one "forever."
    2002 Sienna - current kid-hauler with 136k and planning to get 200k out of it too.
  • qwnvqwnv Member Posts: 1
    In 1997 bought my 95 Toyota Corolla DX used for $12,000. It had approximately 30K miles. Today, my Nellie has over 238,000 miles. I had purchased an extended warranty and before the warranty expired, parts failed and I had to replace the alternator, timing belt, and some other major engine work. Each incident was $50 out of pocket.

Since then I have replaced the timing belt and water pump an additional 2 times (3rd one replaced 3 weeks ago)
    I have kept up with the routine maintenance at the recommended milege, gone through 3 sets of tires, 2 batteries, brakes,and replaced parts that started to get worn.

This year, 2008 is the first year where I have spent the most money on my Toyota.
    I need to replace the struts, distributor cap, spark plug wires, engine mount for now. I have a feeling the alternator will be next.
    I found a good mechanic shop and am taking Nellie in tomorrow morning (2nd time this month) for complete disgnosis and servicing mentioned above.

She is definately aging, and I am hoping that she will last up to 300,000K miles.
    I have been fortunate that she has lasted this long.
  • mgealmgeal Member Posts: 2
    I bought an 89 toyota corolla from someone for $500 it has 212k km on it and runs like a new car. To reach that many Miles/Kilometers all you have to do is regular oil changes, rad system flushes and don't forget to change the oil and gas filters. man older toyotas are so good on gas filled my gas tank with $50 and have 100km on quarter of a tank in city driving.
  • trikev19trikev19 Member Posts: 18
    I have a 1994 Corolla with 177,000 miles on it. A few days ago, I replaced the shocks and struts. When the car needs a repair, I consider whether or not it is worth putting money into the vehicle or replacing it. The repairs are always normal stuff like brakes, tires, tune-up, timing belt, etc. and it runs like new! I use Mobile 1 fully synthetic oil and I change it every 10,000 miles. I check the oil every 1,000 miles and keep the oil level proper. Based on the condition of the vehicle, I plan on keeping it for another 100,000 miles unless I have one of those "avoidable accidents". Aren't all crashes avoidable?
    Its difficult to find a mechanic that you can trust. I recommend performing basic scheduled maintenance yourself. I have a '94 Corolla with 177K. The maintenance is straight forward and simple and nobody cares about your vehicle more than you do. When the time comes that you need a professional, make sure that you get one! You don't need to pay dealer prices. If you research mechanics and asks for references, you'll find a good one and when you do....be loyal.
    I'll buy it when you're ready to sell.
  • texaslady1texaslady1 Member Posts: 2
    that part he took out is a security feature to prevent theft. your car wont start with out it. try calling a toyota dealer to see about replacing the part.
    I was on my way home after work yesterday and I noticed the AC wasn't blowing cold air, then I noticed the temp gauge was in the red. I immediately pulled over on the shoulder of the road and opened the hood. There are two electric fans behind the radiator. One of the motors was coming loose from it's mount in the fan housing and the fan blade assembly was completely off the motor's shaft. There was a rock wedged between one of the blades on the other fan and the housing, so it also wasn't turning at all. When I removed the rock I noticed it was wobbley when I spun the fan and it appeared to be on the verge of failure as well. Luckily there was a Goodyear shop within about a half a mile, so after it cooled down I drove it there. It looks like it's going to be Monday or Tuesday before they can get replacement parts to fix it so I had to get a rental. The way I look at it, I paid cash for the car 2.5 years ago, I've put 80K miles on it since (it now has 149K), and this is the first problem I've had with the car. It's probably going to cost me somewhere between one to two car payments for the repairs and the car rental. That's pretty cheap in my book. No matter how well a vehicle is built and maintained, when you put as many miles as I do on them, things are going to wear out. I'm looking forward to seeing 300K with this car!
  • lianeh2444lianeh2444 Member Posts: 1
    My Corolla is a 1995 basic four door model. It has been in a bad accident, looks terrible outside, but is running good. I was driving along thinking what a beautiful day and then my car was pulling to the right and I tried to hard to compensate for that and all I remember next is the air bag deflating and fumes from it and the car had stopped.

Once I was sure I had not died I looked around and found out that my car went to the left of the highway I was driving and plowed through barb wire fencing taking out several t posts and the car had turned around and was facing the highway on the other side of the fence. What happened I learned later was that my back rear tire and completely came off the rim.

Being on Social Security Disability Income I have little choice but to keep this car running as long as I can. I could never afford to make payments again so I do the best that I can.

Have been told that this car should run for at least up to 250,000 miles or more. I also read that the 1995 models were the best Toyota Corolla's built.

Over the years I have done all the basic things and kept up maintenance up to this time. The oil engine is as clean as when I first bought it brand new. The Triple A loves me as only five times in the last 12 1/2 years since I got this car I have had to use it. Two times was the battery, two times was tire trouble and one time the alternator.

My favorite of the Toyota's was my little FX. I loved that car, but it was having some major electrical problems, probably why they do not make them anymore.

My recommendation is that if you are a women that drives a lot alone, the Toyota is the most reliable car one can get. You just do not want to get stranded.

Liane
  • marlo1marlo1 Member Posts: 4
    I recently gave my 1998 Corolla LX to my dad because I purchased a larger vehicle this year (this was my second Corolla, the first one was brought in 1988.) I swear that car was my friend :shades: It rarely gave me any trouble, and I drove it hard and everywhere. When I hand it over to my dad it had 165k and it's still kicking. Luckily, I also have a good mechanic. If the Corolla wasn't so small and a bit more stylish, I would of brought another one.
  • brazilusabrazilusa Member Posts: 2
    I have just over 218,000 miles on my 1995. Normal service. Oil changes every 3k. Manual trans with original clutch and struts. No problems, just started acting up with the clutch and struts. Only issue I have had is replacing the alternator every 2 years or so. Replaced with Autozone (lifetime warranty) and they just give me a new one each time. Been to Toyota dealers and eveything is solid on the car. Timing belts replaced and normal maint. Red toyota of those years just fade..the paint that is. I have not found an original that hasn't had paint fade with the red.
    I love it! I am debating just putting a new engine, struts and clutch in in the coming months.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    You say putting in a new engine - what's wrong with the old? Clutch, I asssume slipping?
    My '99 with 160K miles has just started to need some maintenance this year, besides just the usual fluids and filter changes. Both electric cooling fans (on the radiator) needed to be replaced back in May ($400), I just had to put a new set of tires on a couple of weeks ago, and now I have to replace the front stablizer bar links as they're making a clunking sound when I ecounter bumps in the road. This is only going to cost me about $110 for parts and labor. The car is still costing me way less than I'd be paying if I were making car payments and it's still very reliable. The engine uses no more than 1/2 qt of oil between 6K mile changes which is excellent. I see this car easily sailing past 200K, and 300K is not out of the question. I guess I'll find out.
    My '99 with 104K miles is doing fine. The only problem I have is my A/C compressor has a small leak, so I have been recharging it about once a year for the last 3 years. Only costs me about $20 to recharge it, and it takes me 20 minutes or less.

Uses little to no oil, and I have just changed the coolant, PS fluid, brake fluid (ABS brakes), plugs, air filter, PCV, cleaned throttle body, and replaced thermostat (just because it is old, was not causing any problems).

Nothing ever done that was not routine, except I had to replace the blower motor at around 70k miles - cost me $50 and about a half hour of my time.

Good to hear yours is doing well also!
    Mine is a 5 speed manual, but if you have an auto, have you been getting the tranny flushed? This will greatly prolong the life of your tranny. Don't confuse flushing with draining because it's not the same thing. Draining only replaces about 1/3 to 1/2 of your tranny's fluid (the rest stays in your torque converter and can't be drained), while having it flushed replaces ALL the fluid. This should be done every 30K miles.
    I have an LE 5 speed manual (rare!). I changed the tranny oil at around 60k miles.
    My stick is also an LE. Does your LE have the gold badging?
This discussion has been closed.