Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Yukon / Yukon Denali

Comments

• Flyingdutchman, OK you've got the price right (if you really need all the Japanese electronics as you tool down the road), but the color???
  • Two teenage girls, want to watch movies/play PS2
    As for the color, when we purchased our first suv
    (85 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 2.8 V6 now with 147,500 miles)fully loaded for $17,500,I wanted red but he wanted black. Now it's my turn for color choice. As for price not bad in your opinion?
  • erinsquarederinsquared Posts: 178
    Garnet Red is the only choice for a Denali. The metallic red is absolutely beautiful when the sun catches it just right. Ok, ok, color is a highly subjective choice, and unless someone has a legitimate concern about a color choice affecting resale values; get what you want! I personally also like the new metallic black, but living in the SE it just gets too hot sitting in the mall parking lot (another opinion). Besides, its you turn...
  • orwoodyorwoody Posts: 269
    Garnet Red was my second choice after I bought my Polo Green Denali. I like the green but the more I saw the Red the better I liked it. My 2004 Canyon Crew cab is the Cherry Red metallic and I love it - It gets a lot of compliments. (and the dealer ordered 2 more in quick hurry - both sold)
    Both KBB & Edmunds resale value deducted hundreds for the Polo green when I went to sell. I got a good resale($32k) and the buyer really liked the green. Its always a personal preference - after all you have to look at it while you drive!!!! so pick a color you really like.
  • utl3utl3 Posts: 26
    Does anyone know if the variable suspension systems on the Denali (Autoride) and the Escalade (RSS) are the same? I remember reading that the Cadillac has many adjustment settings, but the GMC has only two. Trying to decide between the two and figure out if the price difference is valid. In driving the two on a short ride, I could not sense a difference in ride and handling, but it was a short ride.

Thanks
    If you cannot notice the difference in ride, why pay the premium? I think most of the differences between the Esc & D are that the Esc has different styling ("bling" factor) and a longer warranty with Cadillac service treatment.
  • y2kgtsy2kgts Posts: 48
    Giving some serious thought to trading in our 2002 DXL for a 2004 DXL. Add the XM radio and navigation system, neither of which were available on the 2002. Might even have them swap out the interior door panels, which were embroidered on the 2002. Also heard the 2004 doesn't have a locking center console, so may swap out that locking lid if we can.

My question is this: Besides these upgrades, are there any major reasons to look at the 2004 instead of the 2002? We have had some problems on our 2002 and it is nearing the end of the factory warranty. It would be a dealer trade-in. I understand the 2004 is actually rated at less horsepower (325 vs. 340) and was curious about that as well. Should be interesting!
  • tdohtdoh Posts: 298
    2002 for 2004--depends on how much you value the factory-integrated XM radio and navigation unit vs. aftermarket addons for both. As you noted, GM has tried to squeeze a bit more profit out of the current Denalis by omitting items found on previous models--stuff like rear door panel courtesy lights, unlit glove box compartment, no idiot status lights for headlight switch (indicate whether headlights are in auto mode or when completely turned off), no secondary sun visor, no front passenger door keylock; however, the '04 does gain tire pressure monitoring system and option to order both moonroof and RSE (previously you could get only one or the other).

I didn't know about the 15 hp difference, although if the '02 engine is the same as the '04, I doubt (IMHO) that you'll feel the difference on a near 3-ton SUV. Do you know if the '02 model had the "bolstered" headrests (I don't know what they're exactly called--they have these bolsters on each side of the headrest, apparently to keep you head a bit more stable from side-to-side motion)? I know that the '03+ have the same style headrests found on the non-Denali/Escalade GM full-size SUVs, except for the fact that they can tilt forward; wish GM kept the bolstered ones, but I guess they were also 86'd as part of the profit-squeezing campaign.

Denali vs. Escalade--yes, I'm nitpicking, but...the (current model, if not also '03) Escalade does have the slightly-better engine, backup collision detect, HID headlamps, and (at least I've noticed on the '04 models) side rear quarter-panel defroster grids (why GM decided not to offer this on all their full-size SUVs, I don't know). Now whether all these extra goodies are worth the premium...probably not, IMHO.
    tdoh, take a look at it this way: if you get $30k for your trade and a new one costs $45k, the difference $15k gives you a lot of room to upgrade on the 2002. You can easily add a GM factory extended warranty and an aftermarket XM radio for under $3000 and you would be ahead $12000.
  • lobsenzalobsenza Posts: 619
    I wouldn't change from an 02 to an 04. There is no difference in power. In addition, as you point out, there were items deleted as well as added. It is basically the same truck. Upgrading is expensive. Buy an extended warranty if you are concerned.
    Well, I stopped by my dealer today just for the heck of it - prior to reading these posts. Didn't make the trade, but probably will this coming week. Let me clarify the situation a little bit:

First off, you may remember a few of my posts from way back when (I recognize some of you guys). I have a pretty trick entertainment system in my Denali - and also had the dubious pleasure of T-boning a Land Cruiser about a year and a half ago. No frame or engine damage (no airbag deployment either), but still some $14,000 to repair it. Car drives PERFECTLY, but still have those nagging little problems that others have experienced: Locking seatbelts (can't lean forward even when cruising on the highway), slipping tranny (rare, but happens), skipping CD changer (seems to ignore light or quiet tracks and either ends the song prematurely or skips it entirely if it starts quietly - hell on Pink Floyd), and other odds and ends. Even the engine makes a weird sound like some bearing (alternator?) is going out. We have had heated seats fail, seatbelts replaced, and other minor problems. Oh yeah, and did I mention that a full tank of gas from a nationally known dealer was actually DIESEL FUEL? That was a pain for two weeks until the tank was drained and filters changed. FYI, that station doesn't even sell diesel - it was a mistake by the tanker company and happened at five area gas stations of various brands. Bottom line: The truck is still a great ride, but the smaller problems are becoming more annoying and my trust less so. She has just under 32,000 miles on the clock.

Now, the dealer is the same dealer that sold this one to me new and also had it when it was wrecked - they know the FULL history of the car. With that in mind I expected the worst on an estimated trade-in. It was a little better than I hoped and breaks down like this: $28,000 against a purchase price of $47,600. This is for my loaded 2002 WITH entertainment system (two 7" headrest TV's, DVD, wireless headphones, TV tuner, & game hookup). I would be trading for a 2004 DXL also loaded - sunroof, rear captains chairs, navigation & XM radio + promotional financing of either 0% for 60 months or 2.9% for 72. I will get the same entertainment system added, only with the new 9" headrest displays, for $2000 installed.

Bottom line is that we are 90% sure we are going to do it. We thought about the Escalade ESV, but the $7,700 difference in price is hard to justify. I know, I know - we are already making a leap to change for an almost identical car, but we are just a little nervous with this one. That, and keeping payments reasonable is simply not possible with the Escalade (no major promotions or rebates).

So what other differences are there between the '02 and '04 Denali's? Here is what we saw today: First off, on the horsepower Edmunds themselves says this in their 2004 review "Lastly, GMC has lowered the output figures for the Vortec 8100 -- the engine is now rated at 320 horsepower and 440 pound-feet of torque." Yet the specs say 325 HP and 365 ft lbs of torque. Regardless, it is indeed the same as the 2002. We thought about swapping some interior bits, however it appears that the center console lid (locking and with extra storage on the 2002) won't fit the 2004. Likewise the 2002 embroidered door panels - at least on the front doors, which have different "pads" for the seat settings (adjustable pedals for 2004, not available in 2002). For 2004 also add StabiliTrak, navigation, XM radio, memory key fobs (driver specific for seat settings), turn signal mirrors, better controls on steering wheel, individual climate controls for front (digital in 2004), and tire pressure monitors. Heated seats in front can now be turned on at the seat or the back seperately - the 2002 is all or none. Overall the 2004 presents a not inconsiderable list of improvements.

As to the headrests that somebody else mentioned, yep, the 2002 has the "winged" headrests. Of course that is something I can swap over with ease from the 2002 to the 2004. I kept the original front headrests (the replacements have TV's) and the backs should be an easy swap. Is there anything else that anyone can think of that would be worth trying to move from my 2002 to the 2004 assuming we do this deal? I greatly appreciate any and all opinions.

Finally (whew!), I noticed that the dealer now offers factory "bling" in the form of 20" GMC wheels. There are six different styles and they had one set on a black DXL and a different set on a black pickup truck. A little pricey at $3500 (including tires), but still interesting. Thought you would be amused!
  • Erinsquared mentions "Cadillac service treatment" as one (of several) reasons to buy an Escalade. Wow! In New England the Caddy dealers are a marginal lot. Most are dualled with another GM line, have very unimpressive facilities and don't seem to be doing that well. They are like Nissan dealers compared to Toyota dealers: they have a hot product but can they sell/support it?

I would much rather take a Denali to a GM truck dealer than a Caddy to a Caddy dealer and wait behind a Pontiac customer. The sales people in my experierence are geared to sell the other line the store has (they can't live on Caddy) and come across that way. I went in to look at a CTS last week in Central MA and the sales rep was wearing yellowish pajama type bottoms. No joke. (Maybe he was expecting a 'slade customer?) FWIW, I don't think that Muffy and Buffy will be trading in their 5 Series for a CTS-V to a guy in yellow pjs.
  • avolvofanavolvofan Posts: 358
    I couldn't agree more. I would want my truck serviced by someone who works on trucks all the time. They (Denalis) are not cars on steroids.
  • jammon1jammon1 Posts: 28
    I just traded my '01 DXL for an '04 DXL. I had 45,000 miles on the '01 and experienced many of the known problems; transmission slips, acid leaking battery, a worn positive battery cable, rear HVAC temp sensor failure. In spite of these I still love the truck. I received blue book trade-in value for my '01, paid $300 over invoice before a $1000 "truckfest" bonus cash from GM, took advantage of 0% for 36 months (which GMAC will make the first three payments for nearly $3,000), and saved $2500 in sales tax due to trading in the '01. So not including the sales tax savings I paid $3700 under invoice. For the stabilitrac and the other refinments I could not pass the upgrade.

The 20" GMC Denali rims are made and sold by aaarims. You can find them online. They look pretty good in the pictures.
    Glad you were happy with your upgrade! After my last post I decided to visit one more dealer just to make sure I was getting a good deal. After going over the prior damage in detail (which was fixed to perfection) and filling out that disclosure, they still offered me $30,400 for my 2002, including the dual headrest monitors, DVD, etc. They then offered me the 2004 with the stuff I wanted (navigation, sunroof, & rear captains seats) for $47,100 including the $1000 Truckfest rebate and 0% for 60 months. With invoice being $48,612, I was stunned. Needless to say, I signed on the dotted line immediately! We pick it up on Thursday, as they had to dealer-trade to get the color I wanted (they offered me the deal before I told them what color I wanted). Should be cool!

Thanks for the info on the 20" rims. Anything bigger seems a bit too gaudy for me, but those factory 17" wheels look pretty darn small these days. This same dealer had the "GMC" wheels on sale for $2999 mounted and balanced with Goodyear Eagles instead of the $3500 the first dealership wanted for the same setup. I checked a couple sites for AAA Rims (including aaarims.com) and they don't have any of the ones that were at the GMC dealerships. While they have 17" Denali take-offs and 20" versions of factory Denali wheels, the ones I saw at both dealers looked nothing like any GM factory wheels. They had six different 20" styles to choose from. Interesting!
  • Y2kgts, thanks for the numbers. But, just so I can understand this, I wonder how it would come out if you had insisted on the net difference between dealer invoice (less all applicable rebates and promo items) and say a "wholesale" figure for your unit? In other words, you buy the Denali at dealer invoice less the wholesale value of your car.

I apologise because I haven't run these numbers thru Edmunds , but I wonder if there would be a net difference. I think that dealer invoice on your car is a lot less than 47K and wholesale pricing on your used Denali is less, but not much less, than the 30K you were allowed. You don't have to be a lawyer to know that winning an argument lies in how it is initially framed; i.e., new list price vs. used retail or dealer cost vs. used wholesale value.
    Sounds like you got a great deal too. I misunderstood your prior post regarding the wheels. I thought they were the factory Denali style wheels in the 20" size. I kept a set of 20" BBS RW wheels that I had on my '01 and I put them on the '04. Bigger than 20" begins to affect the ride and is too gaudy for me as well.
    Chevy/GMC said last year that they were going to come out with a manufacturer approved line of "custom" wheels for trucks and SUVs that they were going to sell through the dealers. I have not seen any at the dealers around my neck of the woods yet nor could I find them on the Chevrolet or GMC website either.
    Excellent points on the price. One factor is that I owed money on the 2002, so "buying on the difference" is actually "buying on the difference plus the debt". Here is how both vehicles booked out on Edmunds.com with the equipment I chose:

2004 Denali XL: $55,495 List; $48,612 invoice
    2002 Denali XL: $28,643 Trade-in; $30,612 Retail

Now the 2002 estimates don't include the DVD entertainment system. More importantly, they do not include any depreciation for a prior accident. Considering that I was paid some $7500 for diminished value after the accident, I think the offer of $30,400 was pretty incredible. Throw in $512 BELOW invoice on the 2004 plus the $1000 rebate and I could not be more pleased.

As to the new 20" wheels from GMC, I found this page on GMC's site that shows them (all NINE styles) in detail:

http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/gmgoodwrenchjsp/accessories/category.- jsp?catid=wheel&make=gmc&model=sierra

It is interesting to note that there is a "Guideline for Usage" link that provides a warning of sorts: Worse ride, worse traction, and worse gas mileage. Curious as whether you or anyone else has experienced any of these symptoms. With this being the wife's car as much as it is mine, I don't want to do anything that will tick her off (worse ride and/or mileage would not win me any points).
  • kensdkensd Posts: 1
    I was planning on adding a set of 22" wheels on my '03 Denali shorty and was interested in knowing if anyone was aware of any positive or negative effects on the vehicle they may have. I will be going with 305/45R22 or 305/40R22 tires to replace the stock 17" which i feel look lost in the wheel wells. I am assuming that the handling will improve due to less sidewall flex but a friend with a Z71 Tahoe mentioned that he noticed a decrease in acceleration on his vehicle when he did the same. Don't know how as the overall height is relatively the same and the weight is only about 15 lbs per wheel with tire.
         I also saw people mentioning that the dealer is offering 20" wheels for approx $3000? seems like a lot of money, especially if they (the dealer) keep the 17s and you have nothing to throw on for the winter! Anyone considering that option should first check out the many wheel wholesalers online such as wheelmax.com. These places offer 20" wheels with tires, mounted and balanced and shipped for about $1700 and up. I could think of a lot of things to do with the extra $3000!
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    when mounted on a Denali with the factory height. Even though they might be an exact replacement for the factory 17" wheels, the gap between the rear fenderwell and the tire makes for, in my opinion a ridiculous looking setup. For that reason I did a 3" drop in the rear and a 1" drop in the front. That caused a bit more of a handling problem as the rear sway bar doesn't cut it and at highway speeds the backend was way too loose for my comfort resulting in me replacing the rear sway bar.

All in all, the ride change is like day and night. The truck now rides rough due to the drop and the rims. It's no where near as smooth as it was when it was stock. That's the price I was willing to pay for the bling bling look. If ride comfort is important to you or more importantly to your wife, I wouldn't recommend anything but the stock setup as things get rougher as soon as you change the rims to the 20s. The ride with the 20s took some getting used to....I can just imagine the ride on a set of 22s.......

I can imagine the loss of performance with the Z71 Tahoe and the 5.3. I didn't notice much of a difference in terms of performance with the 20s. One thing for sure. The mpg meter used to read 13.9 before the rim change. It now reads 13.5.
    Regarding the BIG wheels. I have not noticed a impact on mileage with the 20" wheels. The ride does get a little more firm. I am running Nitto 440 tires. They are quiet and smooth. Most 20" wheels will be 12-20 lbs more than the 17" wheels, that is per wheel with the tire mounted. It adds up to more weight for the engine to spin to accelerate. I think if you ran 0-60 times with the 17" and the 20" you would probably be slightly quicker with the 17".

That being said - when I put the 20" wheels on my wife asked "why put different wheels on?" When winter came around I put the 17" wheels back on and the first time my wife drove it she said that it did not look as good with the "winter" wheels. Improving performance is not the issue, who is going to go to the track to run hot laps in their Denali? The issue is filling the wheel well with a wheel that looks like it fits.

Thanks for the link on the GM wheels.
  • Y2kgts, you're absolutely right. They sold it to you at under their invoice yet gave you above your wholesale value for the trade. Sorry I didn't see this as clearly earlier.

Obyone and the other big wheels: I don't get it. You guys put up with a lot for the bling/bling look: poor handling, lousy ride, the necessity of changing tires/wheels every six months and maybe even buying another $1500 set of winter tires and wheels if the dealer grabbed your OEM rims, etc. I mean if we were talking about putting set of $3000 rims on a 993 Porche, that's one thing. But for a Denali that's going to go to the transfer station every Saturday and after 104 trips to the dump will have lost 17K (see Y2kgts post) this is hard to understand.

Put the 3K to 5K that would have gone for big wheels into a mutual fund specializing in natural resources and after your 104 weekly trips to the dump you will have recovered in the market what you lost in depreciation.
  • orwoodyorwoody Posts: 269
    Before you buy replacement wheels and if your rig is under warranty; ask GM if the wheels are okay. Apparently if the wheels don't meet certain specs, GM won't honor related warranty items. I found this out when I was at a local dealer. I asked why they had re-swapped the wheels off a gussied up Sierra sportside they had in the show room. (They had fitted it with some beautiful 20" chromes) A salesman I know there told me they had to after they went to close on a sale and GM balked because the wheels apparently didn't have proper clearance for the full turning radius. (the buyer got mad and then walked away)
    If you do ANY driving off road, don't go for the 20" wheels. You will be replacing tires much more frequently if you hit trail hazards (logs, large rocks, etc.) with the 20" wheels.
  • dako_tiandako_tian Posts: 298
    Off roading, you'll undoubtedly be replacing 20" wheels too! There is simply less tire between the metal and the obstruction.

I know some of you have actually taken your luxury SUVs off road, but you must be in the minority. Here, Dallas/Fort Worth area, and especially in the North suburbs of Dallas, an "average" vehicle is slightly above normal, middle-class affordability. When that vehicle is an SUV, it is frequently outfitted with brush guards all around. It's hilarious to me when considering that the nearest to off-roading most of those vehicles will get is that accidental detour through the landscaping due to a cell-phone distraction (or makeup application, or adjustment of the kids' DVD, or yelling at the kids, or suddenly remembering that the necessary turn is right now! or ....).

But then, I suppose the new "American Way" (Is this only still the "Land of Opportunity" if you are a recent immigrant?!?) is to try to appear as more than you are and, if you are lucky, you might win big! It's sad, really.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Where I come from we don't need winter tires.

If I really wanted to save money I would've bought a plain Yukon with the 4.8. Additionally, I think the 17" rims look good on my Silverado replacing the faux chrome rims that came stock on the Chevy trucks. And yes I have a HPIII unit to recalibrate from the 275/70R16 Michelin LTX M/S to the 265/70R17 Michelin Cross Terrains which is a little stiffer tire.

Lastly, yes the ride is harsher and handling is substantially improved due to the center of gravity being lowered and wider profile tires along with the thicker sway bar.
    I don't think too many Denali's see real offroading action. At most mine travels a gravel road occasionally. Where I live we get snow and ice for several months each year, which requires good M+S tires. The factory tires work quite well. In many northern areas the semi annual wheel change for snow tires/wheels is quite normal. The tire shops a quite busy when the first snow flies in October and when it all melts in March.

As I understand it the AWD setup on the Denali is not ideal for offroading.
    The Denali can do limited off road driving. I wouldn't propose it for rock crawling or serious off road work; however, driving on rough, unprepared roads is something it is quite capable of. Just don't plan on using those 20" wheels and low profile tires off road. For that matter, a good pothole will toast the 20" wheel and tire.

For one perspective on the Denali off road, check ezrapon at post number 2412. ezrapon certainly did not do his off road venture with 20" wheels and tires.
  • ezraponezrapon Posts: 348
    has been off road probably more than most. I am very selective with where I go i.e., no trees big rocks or high departure angles. It did seem quite capable, but felt like it would sink like the titanic in a heavy mud bog. It is after all, a 1/2 ton GMC truck underneath (lexus, Mercs, and bmw's take note). I do run the stock tires and rims. It was hard to do the ol' 4 wheel slides in mud with the stabilitrac on. If I had expensive rims, I'd never have been off the road. Spinning a chrome rim in gravel would be about a 400 dollar blunder.