Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Azera Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• nj_azeranj_azera Member Posts: 11
    I went to my dealer today to pick up an extra set of spare keys (Last minute deal killer on 2007 Azera ;) )and I asked the service manager about oil changes, he says that the oil in the car is regular oil 5w-20. He can give me a oil change for $36 or $80 for synthetic, the local Jiffy Lube has it at $33 & $58. The service manager advised me that either is OK but that once I go synthetic that I can't go back to regular oil. My question which way to go ???
    I only have 1000 miles on my baby car so I have time.
  • floridabob1floridabob1 Member Posts: 1,190
    The owners manuel calls for oil changes every 7500 miles, therfore the warranty does not require more frequent changes.
    I have never heard of any fleet manager, be it car rental, corporate fleet or government agency calling for oil changes at 3000 mile intervals. I can't believe that any SAE oil will break down or become contaminated at this interval, unless there are certain extreme conditions such as dust or sand storms that might in some manner allow these particles entry into the oil system.
    The Hyundai owners manuel does not make mention of synthetic oil beging the lubricant of choice or even recommended.
    This is purely owner's choice.
  • theblackholetheblackhole Member Posts: 62
    Conspiracy Theory?

At $80 for a synthetiic oil change at yoyur dealer and at $110 from mine, would some dealerships want to steer you away from using synthetic - (or them having to stock it)?

Just seems to be a huge premium to pay over the cost of a dino-oil change.

As far as not being able to switch back to dino-oil in the future, I have no idea why that would be so...but someone else here might know why!
  • cableguy06cableguy06 Member Posts: 299
    Your service manager is a bunch of CRAP (can't use the word I really want to use for sensorship reasons)!!! You can switch back and forth as many times as you want to from regular to synthetic and back again without any issues. The oil maunfacturers will tell you that along with any reputable mechanic. Just another case of a misinformed or IGNORANT service manager. If you car was 15 years old, than my reply would be different.

I buy a case of Mobil 1 Synthetic at Costco or any place with a good price...usually about $30 a case and my dealer charges me about $20 to do the change including the filter so total cost for the oil change is under $55. Just supply your OWN oil and let them replace it and the filter. Will save you a lot of money and I have been doing it this way for about 10 years.

IMO, you should always use synthetic over standard oil. Better properties all around and I easily go every 5K miles between oil changes. I always change out to synthetic after the motors recommended break-in period. If you have 1K on your car, let it go another 500 miles and then make the switch.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You can change back to dino oil anytime you want. I've done this a number of times on various cars, if I find that the use of synthetic had no demonstrable benefit, or if the usage of the car does not warrant use of synthetic.

Depends what I'm doing with the vehicle if I use synthetic or not.
  • sundevilssundevils Member Posts: 100
    Fact - Changing your oil more than every 7,500 miles is a complete waste of time and money unless you are driving in very extreme conditions.

Fact - Your car is not performing better or lasting longer due to using synthetic oil - regular oil works just fine.

I have never changed my oil more than every 7,500 miles in any car I have owned. I have lived in AZ (extreme heat) and San Diego (extreme stop and go traffic) for my entire driving life. Mechanics constantly praise me for the condition of my cars and the care I give them. Further, I have never used synthetic oil nor will I ever use synthetic oil until a study is published by some agency/group with no ties to the automotive industry that says using synthetic oil increases hp or mpg or engine life.
  • nj_azeranj_azera Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for your help. I'm going to go to the local Jiffy Lube For the synthetic oil change $58. They told me that they are familiar with the Hyundai oil filters and they use Pennzoil platinum oil link title
  • cableguy06cableguy06 Member Posts: 299
    I have heard great things about the Pennzoil Platinum. I just picked up a case at Pep Boys for $1.99/qt that included the $15 rebate on 6 quarts. Regular price was $4.49/qt.

I'm going to use it at my next oil change.

I disagree with those above about synthetic having no additional benefits but I do agree that if you change the oil every 3K miles you are wasting your money. I typically go every 5K but at times will let it slip to 6K. Could probably go longer but in my mind it's not worth taking the chance for the price of an oil change.

Every one has a strong opinion on the topic of syn versus dino as I learned in other forums from many years back. Do what you want and what makes you feel comfortable. I have been a syn. user for the past 15 years and will never use dino again.

Happy New Year!
  • plwilliamsplwilliams Member Posts: 96
    I learned the hard way on my last car that it wasn't a good idea to use glass cleaner, similar to Windex, for cleaning the plastic that covers the gauges. I ended up with many scratches/swirl marks that I had to live with for many years. I'm not sure if it was the cleaner or the rag I used to wipe if off, but it was terrible every time the sun it just right.
    Any suggestions or experiences on what to use and what not to use :confuse:
  • allmet33allmet33 Member Posts: 3,557
    A good detailer's mist and a microfiber towel work great! on the gauge covers and the faux wood trim.
  • plwilliamsplwilliams Member Posts: 96
    Sounds good. But do you recommendations on a detailers mist? I'm afraid that's a term I'm unfamiliar with.
  • gamlegedgamleged Member Posts: 442
    Unless I'm a real sloppy eater while sitting in the driver's seat, or if I have a nasty cold :sick: , I only get dust on the covers, for which I use one of those fine filament brushes that rely on static electricity to make the dust "jump" off the plastic. For other stuff I use a well-washed all-cotton T-shirt and breathe a humid fog on the gauge covers, then gently wipe...
    Meguiars makes a good one and Eagle One makes a good one as well. Spray on and wipe off.

Target sells a 10 pack (I think) for $8.99 that are really good quality...nice and thick. Easiest way to spot em...they're orange.
    That dust and lint that settles on the gauge cover is the worst. I'm not too wild about trying to contort my neck to position my face so that I can breathe my hot breath to create a fog with which to clean. However...do what works best for you my man! LOL

I have found that the detailer's mist helps keep them dust free a bit longer than with cleaners.
    RE: 111
    There are some plastic scratch removers on the market. Some work OK. If you can't find one at your local auto supply shop, go to a marine supply shop.
    MMM makes a good line of products.
    It's good you brought that up. You can also use that to clean your headlights once they start getting that hazy look from rock dings over time.
  • pahefner01pahefner01 Member Posts: 202
    I keep on of those "dust magnet" mits in the console. It works great for getting the dust off of the gauges and dash and you don't have to use any liquid or dry anything.
  • windycity7windycity7 Member Posts: 24
    the quote is $250 from the dealer for this service including tire rotation & transmission oil change. i didn't see a maintenance requirement on the transmission change. is this required and is this quote too high?

i also noticed my passenger wiper blade rubs against the front hood. is there a TSB on this?
  • sundevilssundevils Member Posts: 100
    The service departments at the dealers will do anything to get money from you, including selling you unnecessary work. You need a transmission oil change like you need a hole in the head.

Take my advice and take your service business to an independent - you'll get the same work done (they have access to the warranty requirements) for $100 (tops) on a 15K.
  • silverazerasilverazera Member Posts: 17
    The first oil change at my dealer Towne Hyundai (where I bought the car)was complimentary. My second oil change they allowed me to use a coupon to get the change done for $29.95 but the coupon was suppose to be for non V6 engines. The third time I called about an appointment and they told me the price was now $45 an oil change because the filter was $12.00 alone. Luckily I was browsing my local paper and Paramus Hyundai was offering a buy 3 get 3 free oil & filter changes for $59.99 plus tax and this included the Azera or any other model Hyundai or Dodge. It took 45 minutes in and out on a Saturday morning and for a little over $10.00 I had my oil & filter changed at a Hyundai dealership. This dealer is obviously hoping to make it up on anything else they can sell you but I have to admit there was no pressure from the service tech and he only reminded that they would appreciate it if I would fill out the Hyundai survey when it arrives in the mail. The service manager came up to me as I was leaving and just wanted to make sure that if there were any problems with today's service or any matters that I was dissatisfied with to call him directly and he gave me his business card. :)
  • cwj3620cwj3620 Member Posts: 14
    Ok, looks to me like you can not access the firewall side spark plugs without pulling the intake manifold!!! Any one see this differently. This may be why Hyundai spec'd a 100,000 mile spark plug change!!
    If this is true I would consider selling. argh
  • cmbairdcmbaird Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I have changed my plugs on my Azera, went to the Bosch Platinum/Iridium, yes the manifold has to come off, but it "lays over," not to crazy a job, I did it in an afternoon, remember to torque the back bank plugs in, and check for a good cinch. The Bosch plugs made the thing run better, much better combustion. CMB.
    I hope you checked to make sure the Bosch product is compatible with the Azera engine. When I had my Sonata, I wanted to switch to Bosch, but...I was informed they were not the correct plug to use...they burned too hot. I was informed by the service tech that the better plug was the NGK product.

I did love those Bosch plat +4 plugs in my Camry though...WHEW!!!

By the way...just how easy is it to remove the manifold???
  • derrelhgreenderrelhgreen Member Posts: 234
    "my only complaint with the car other than the dark colored oil dip stick is hard to read."

There is a relatively easy fix for that which works out quite well. :surprise:

Simply take any solution that contains acid and spread in all over the lower part of your bayonet gauge.

Leave it on for a short while and then clean it off, and you will have removed that dark
    color, and now you should be able to see where the oil measures much more readily. :D

HTHs
  • rminorrminor Member Posts: 40
    Speaking of oil filters I was at Walmart today and checked their little computer for oil filters for my '07 Azera. They listed a Fram CH9999. I checked and there were some on the shelf. Cartridge and "O" rings for $5.48. I talked to the Tire & Lube person and they said they can do the oil changes on the Azera.
    Walmart will do a Mobil 1 full synthetic oil change for about $32., including filter.
  • rminorrminor Member Posts: 40
    When I've had my oil changed in my Ford diesel truck at Walmart they've charged extra for all oil over 5 qts and filters over ~$2.00 so I think it might be a little higher. Still a good deal for those unable or unwilling to change their own oil.
  • dborthdborth Member Posts: 474
    Re. 128: I just had the 7,500 mile service at my local dealer.(Ladin Linc./Merc./Hyundai, Thousand Oaks, CA)

Oil change/filter, fluid top offs, multi point safety check and complimentary car wash for $26.64 otd.
    RE:130
    I doubt that they use Mobil 1 full synthetic.
    RE. 130: I have no clue. Is "Mobil 1 full synthetic" the, or your holy grail for Azera?

I can only assume since it was done at a Hyundai dealership, the service department used what Korea specifies.
    RE:132
    I have had several contacts with the engineers at Mobil regarding their full synthetic oil. This was initiated because I owned a large, under powered, diesel powered boat which required me to push engines at close to maximum to achieve proper speed. Oil analysis determined considerable metal wear until the introduction of full synthetic oil.
    Not only was the wear reduced, but the fuel economy was improved, proving better efficiency through reduced friction. Different Hyundai dealerships use different oils.
    Hyundai does not specify nor require full synthetic oil, although it, in my opinion, is vastly superior lubricant.
  • derrelhgreenderrelhgreen Member Posts: 234
    Your opinion is shared by many, especially those of us who have taken the time and trouble to talk to the right people.

Time does NOT matter.
    I proved that to myself when I left Mobil 1 in my Focus for three and one half years, and when I changed it, I
    took a sample and had it analysised and the report came back that the oil was fine and still okay for service.

When Mobil 1 first came out, the recommended change interval by Mobil Oil was once a year or 25K miles.

Mileage . . I am in the process of detemining that.
    Last change was for over 15K and the lab said the oil was still serviceable, so I am going even longer this time.

I have used synthetics since they first became general available, even prior to Mobil 1, so am
    generally more knowledgeable than the average certified car nut when it comes to their use.

WalMart does indeed use Mobil 1 and is probably the least expensive way to go.
    I have watched them open quart bottles right off the store shelves so I know that they do in fact pour Mobil 1.

dborth
    I also doubt that the T.O. dealer is using Mobil 1 when they change your oil, as that price would not cover their parts expenses.

:surprise:

:)
    RE:134
    Walmart offers many oil options in their oil change service area.
    Mobil 1 is not their "standard" oil change.
    Re 134: dborth
    I also doubt that the T.O. dealer is using Mobil 1 when they change your oil, as that price would not cover their parts expenses.

My original post was informational about what I paid for an "Oil Change" at a Hyundai dealer, compared to what other Azera owners might be paying, you know....sharing information. If the engine wears out because my dealer uses a rope-a-dope oil that falls below the expectations of the Mobile 1 gurus, so be it. With 21 lease payments remaining and the Hyundai warranty, I think I'll be fine.
    RE:134
    Agreed!
    If you lease your car and will turn it in within the warranty period, it makes no sense to buy premium motor oil.
  • alexstorealexstore Member Posts: 264
    Question for Azera/Sonata owners:
    How many of you take your car to a dealer for scheduled maintenance? Any issues with warranty if you go to a local shop?
    I change my own oil and brake pads and there has never been any warranty issues. I keep all my receipts and log when I do any type of maintenance to my vehicle. Did the same thing with the '02 Sonata I had over the course of the 4 years I had it. Only time I took it to the dealer was when it was time to get the timing belt replaced along with the spark plugs.
    RE: 138
    If you are able to document Hyundai prescribed maintainence, there are no warranty issues, even if it is a do it yourself program.
    Refer to post #141

(is this better Pat?) :blush:
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Sorry, your post looks a little redundant since I moved it from the other discussion, but the reason I did that is because it includes a little different information than the one you posted here. :)
    Local dealer is now charging $24.99 for standard oil change using synthetic blend oil.
    Same dealership wants $79.99 for full synthetic oil change.
    As you can buy a case of Mobil 1 full synthetic for under $30.00, it seems like quite a rip off.
    :surprise: You think? It would seem rip off would be putting it mildly!!!
    Not necessarily. If you timed how long it takes to drive your car on a lift, drain the oil, fill it, install a new filter, check everything, and drive off, and you calculate that amount of time with the dealer's hourly labor rate, I bet it's a correct charge.

The problem is that the dealer is doing the standard oil change at an artificially low price to get you in the door. Once on a lift, he can sell you more stuff.

Why doesn't he also discount the synthetic oil change to an artificial "lost leader"?

I dunno, seems dumb.
    Yeah...IF...it actually took that long. I can change my oil in less than 30 mins. from beginning to end. I mean...if that is the case, they are wrongly charging everyone as it is not a hour's worth of labor being done for an oil change.

Here in the DC area, the oil change is being done for $35. Not sure how much of a difference it is if you ask for synthetic oil. Never bothered to ask since I do my own.
    Oh I bet your dealer's hourly rate is at least $100, so $50 + the synthetic oil and filter sounds just about correct, doesn't it?
    Actually...the hourly rate here is like $75/hr.
    at a DEALER? Really? You must live in a rural area I'd guess.

In California it's $135--160 (ouch!).
    Yes...really and no, it's not a rural area, I live in the DC Metro area.

Sure glad I don't live in CA any more! LOL
    Ah, you'll change your tune when the humidity kicks in!

Hard to believe it's that cheap in a big metro area what with workers' bennies and overhead. Interesting. Is it a very small dealership, like a mom and pop? Maybe I just don't visit Hyundai dealerships enough in general. They may charge less.

ANYWAY...the difference in price between your dealer's regular and synthetic oil changes doesn't make any sense. He should change that and bring them into some sort of rational proportion.
    Okay...I just called the dealership and the price for a regular oil change on my Azera is $41. Guess it's more than the others since it uses the canister type filter. Anyway, a change with synthetic oil is $55. So even at that price...it's a rip off!
This discussion has been closed.