Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Transmission Problems

Comments

• randy3566randy3566 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Ram 1500 with 46re trans. While driving down the road at 60 m.p.h. the converter will kick out for a second or two and then return to normal.The r.p.m. raises about 200 r.p.m. and then drops back down.This seems to happen worse on rough roads.Does anyone have an answer?
  • phil81phil81 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1996 1500 dodge ram pickup, auto trans. My problem is When I start off it seems like it is out of gear, then there is a slight bump into gear...
    Having a hard time going from 2nd to 3rd, early morning seems to do better... will go sometimes 1day or 2 real good, almost normal then back to acting up. I had a guy to work on the trans about 1 month ago, I think all he did was clean out (not sure) it ran real good about 1 month , now back to the same shifting problems. DO I NEED A NEW TRANSMISSION, I HOPE NOT....any help?
  • autoblanketautoblanket Member Posts: 1
    I have a ‘06 Dodge 3500 Cummins Diesel with a 5.9 engine. Yesterday I was towing my equipment (total gvw about 24k) and as I was going up a hill in tow haul on the interstate at about 65mph I heard the engine/transmission slip. It seemed as though the gears slipped and made a whining noise for a split second. I kept going and was noticing the engine/transmission noise had changed but still had plenty of power. After my job was done and heading back home I was going up another hill on the interstate and this time the rpm’s went to about 3000 and I could tell I lost some power. After I pulled over and checked the fluids I resumed my drive. This time I kept the truck at about 55mph and when I went up a hill lowered the mph so the engine would not drop into a lower gear. This seemed to work but I noticed the usual pleasant hum of the engine was not the same. Today I changed my oil and air filters (it was due), and the mechanic cleaned a “coil” that is under the transmission. The problem is still there. Any suggestions? I have about 72 k on the odometer.

AutoBlanket
  • usmc63usmc63 Member Posts: 1
    Help! Okay, I have a 2001 4x4 3500 Dodge Dually Diesel engine. All of a sudden out of the clear blue it started acting like it was out of fuel, then the engine stopped. I managed to get it off the road and even though my fuel gauge said I had 1/8 of a tank and the digital fuel gauge said I had 60 miles left, I went ahead and put 5 gal of diesel in it to eliminate that. Still wouldn't start back up.

Towed it in and the guy checked everything out with the computer and said everything was okay. However, he had to vacuum out the fuel filter before he could get it to start again. The truck runs, but still acts like the truck is surging. Especially going uphill. It acts like it doesn't want to shift. However, if you tromp down on the accelerator peddle, it will shift.

Now, to further complicate things. I took off the transmission relay switch and cleaned it off. The truck ran great, with no surging, for two days, then starting acting up again. I decided that must be the problem so I replaced it. It still does it! I really don't think it is the transmission but am at a loss as to what it could be.

Any ideas? Thanks!

P.S.
    Coincidence? The gauges are all messed up, both the one on the dash and the digital one over the rear view mirror. Could it be electrical?
  • tamsguy62tamsguy62 Member Posts: 10
    Hi. I was just curious if you resolved your trans problem. I have the same problem, but still searching for an answer.
    Have you found a soulution to your trans proble ? I have the same problem with mine.
  • rdbartonrdbarton Member Posts: 4
    Not sure if you were asking me for a reply, but yes I did. Two sensors, vehicle speed sensor and the transmission speed sensor.
    Thank you. I'll check then next.
  • cwiseguycwiseguy Member Posts: 6
    I start my truck and take off. It shifts fine until I slow down or stop. Then it stays in first gear. I can get in it ten minutes later and the same thing again.

NO CODES on the odometer or LIGHTS...

I have first and reverse...

I supposedly had the Governor solenoid and sensor changed as well as the filter and fluid and the same problem still exists.

The Check-ball has been removed from the line too.

Thanks, Cwise

I am thinking a speed sensor or a TPS?
  • somaddsomadd Member Posts: 1
    my 99 1500 4x2 is all wacky the trans does not not shift at correct shift points when warm. lights are on in my dash but not trans lights it has had a trans flush, fuel injector cleaning,tune up, new speed sensor in pumpkin, new speed sensor in tail trans shaft, and still the problem is there this problem all started when my speedometer went out please someone help me before i go postal.I hate taking my vehical to a shop and get a diagnostic and get the same crap it could be this or that well how do i know what to fix not made of money ready to spend money to rebuild trans but im afraid its something electrical newrebuilt trans and still the problems there please help
  • dodgeram54dodgeram54 Member Posts: 4
    I can't remember what it's called, but it's a plug that just screws into the tranny. Basically it's a sensor that tell the truck what the tranny temp is. Mine would read negative 7 at all times and never shift into overdrive. Ask a shop that may be the problem. That is something you can also go to a dealer for and they did my truck for $85 and they diagnosed the problem
  • chrisinohiochrisinohio Member Posts: 1
    Hello Phil, I have a 1999 dodge ram that is doing exactly what you say yours is doing... Did you figure out what the problem was?? It would help me have a place to start looking into my problem. Thank You!!
  • cummins_girl89cummins_girl89 Member Posts: 1
    I got into my truck the other day & backed out of a parking spot with no problems. I put it into drive & couldn't feel it shift into gear like it normally shifts (it usually shifts hard due to shift kit). I tried 2nd and 1st but they were all acting like it was in neutral. I checked my linkage & of course my trans fluid & everything was working like normal, except my truck just wouldnt drive. Eventually, i got it to drive & my shift kit was prevalently working, but now my reverse isn't. Any ideas? I keep getting all different ideas from shops around here. First one says its my tranny pump, the next says its electrical, & another says i need a new tranny (even though it was just replaced a year ago).

Any ideas would be appreciated,
    Thank You,
    Andrea
  • squid121squid121 Member Posts: 1
    Here are some symptoms that started to occure this week. First I noticed when starting out pulling a light boat out of a launch it wouldn't go into first gear- felt like second to me. Then towed same boat approx 300 miles with no prob. when reached destination got stuck in mud so went to shift into 4 wheel mode, nothing, no 4 wheel at all. got pulled out and tried to drive down the street and now it wont shift out of first, the only way it would shift is to put it into neutral while moving and back into drive. I drained out some fluid and put in a couple of bottles of lucas trans. medic cause I was 300 miles from home. now sometimes it shifts but most of time, no. Once on the highway under a load it shifted fine, but around town with no load I have to force it to shift and of coarse no 4 wheel drive. Can anyone suggest a place to start on this. The local tranny shops are rapists. Thanks..
  • skkramskkram Member Posts: 1
    The transmission light and the OD off light (along with the chime) have been blinking intermittently. They never stay on, just flicker or blink briefly and inconsistently. The truck is running and shifting fine except at highway speeds (when in overdrive) it will disengage briefly as the lights blink. There is no consistency to when this occurs; warm, cold, highway or city driving, towing or not, smooth or bumpy road. It has been getting worse (occuring more frequently) lately. No check engine light either. The truck has 107K miles, I've had the transmission serviced regularly and have no reason to believe it's a mechanical (versus electrical) problem. Any suggestions?
    I feel your pain. I have to the same problem. I was told a broken valve or throtle linkage. let me know if you figure yours out, and I'll do the same with mine. Good luck, stay in touch.
  • 97dodge4x497dodge4x4 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 1997 dodge ram 4x4 wtith the 5.2 46re transmission it was rebuilt 2 months ago and now when i put it in reverse or drive there is a really loud whining or squealing sound it goes away in neutral or park but it still drives and shifts flawlessly any ideas please help i can afford another 2400 dollar tranny
  • phil81phil81 Member Posts: 2
    No, I have not figured it out yet. I have talked to several people and they don't think it it serious. But did not have the time to help. I may just get the trans rebuilt, that seems like what most people are after..."the money".
  • jay1164jay1164 Member Posts: 3
    A little background truck stole they popped the ignition used a screwdriver for 1 1/2 yrs starting it no problems. On way to work in morn. wld run fine but afternoon it wld start to drag a little at about 60-65 mph til u hit 70 before wld engage next few weeks speed dropped to 50-55 with the drag til u got a little faster then did fine for a bit then decided to drag longer before kicking in to OD until eventually if u were lucky it kicked in but only stayed in for 30 sec's or so if that. Lower gears no prob. Finally swapped out steering column no change when first done but next morning drove it and it decided it wanted to work again but not on the way home until about 10 mins from the house for some reason it started to work again did nothing different during the drive all hwyway miles. When not working turning the OD button off doesnt seem to change anything (i dont touch it if its working tho) ? is wld the TPS going bad or being bad cause this or some other kind of sensor or maybe a bad ground somewhere? Im lost i need places to start looking any help wld be great. Thanks
  • johnnyrogersjohnnyrogers Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1999 dodge 2500 4x4 diesel, i have a a 8' cab over camper on it and the transmisson overheats, and kicks out of overdrive. the owners manuel states that this is normal. but is it. i will be changeing the fluid and filter and putting on a bigger transmisson cooler. what do u think. any help -- thank you
  • dokkiedokkie Member Posts: 8
    Hi this is my problem. I have a 2001 dodge 1500 4x4 automatic trans. While driving it at times it seems like it is not shifting properly. the rpms will actually red line before it will shift and it seems like it is hesitating like the fuel is dirty (as the rpms jump all over the place in any gear except so far reverse). I have bought fuel conditioner and filled the tank and this seems to stop it for the drive home but the next time it goes for a trip seems to happen again. does anyone have any ideas at all? could it be fuel or (OH MY!!!!) the tranny? and where should i begin (tranny shops around here and there is only one a hr away only know the words YOU NEED A NEW TRANNY!!!) thank you in advance for any advice u may have. :cry:
  • rustteenrustteen Member Posts: 1
    Massive vibration of 4WD shifter after long trip pulling horse trailer. All U-Joints front and rear are fine. No burning of tranny fluid. No leaks anywhere. Does same whether in 2HI or 4LO and everything in between. Any similars out there? Year model 2002
  • bobwinnerbobwinner Member Posts: 47
    Could be a drive shaft problem. Check for bent driveshaft (did you "bottom out" on this trip ? Then check for missing weight (small metal tab welded on to balance drive shaft when manufactured). Lastly, if it is two piece shaft, check carrier (intermediate) bearing. bobwinner
  • jarod82jarod82 Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem, But do me a favor. put it in drive and take off and shift into 2nd and let it climb to about 3500 rpm and put it in neutral and right back into drive and see if it shifts too 3rd. if it does then u have a pressure problem in the valve body i was told. BUT your truck is like mine but i still drive mine and i just manually shift it into 3rd like i told you.
  • jarod82jarod82 Member Posts: 2
    BEFORE : took off and shift to 2nd good and strong but when went into 3rd would raise rpm only 200 rpm before shift and shift to drive gear.
    KNOW: 1st hesitates and when it clunks then it will go. every so often on that. But when it goes its fine untill 3rd gear and i have to put it in neutral and back into drive with no reving it up and it shift fine into 3rd. and drive and overdrive is fine as well. push the overdrive button off and it shift out and back into OD. Just 3rd gear is the most problem.. I think its the OD Silinoid. or shift Silinoid. It doesnt slip at all. just shifting problem. SOME ONE PLEASE HELP. THANKS
  • reelgreaserreelgreaser Member Posts: 4
    Truck ran fine this morning, went to leave work later that day and it felt like it was slipping a little bit when I first took off. Got on the on ramp and noticed it would not shift unless I let up on the gas a little, then I noticed the RPM's were running a little too high and realized my OD was not engaging, even when you push the OD button.Thought I smelled tranny fluid, so I pulled over checked fluid levels, they are fine. The check engine light came on, but no tranny lights are on. This truck is a '99 with 73,000 miles on it. Once you're moving it doesnt feel like it's slipping but it will not shift on it's own. It will manually shift fine. but no over drive at all!
    I'm taking the truck in on Monday to have it looked at, when I (IF) get an answer from the mechanic I will post it. Hopefully I can help someone else out.

I have found alot of dodge tranny problems on the internet. I will be selling this one as soon as possible! This is a really nice truck to bad dodge won't help the mopar man! :mad:
    Just borrowed a code reader, came back with error code P0720 "Output speed sensor curcuit." located on the side of the tranny. $30.00 part. Hopefully it that's the only issue. let ya know.. :confuse:
    I would try and replace the "output speed sensor", my problem sounded alot like yours does. I replaced the sensor ($20.00) this morning took ten minutes. Now the tranny is shifting and rumming smooth as new. remove the negative terminal from the battery for about tem minutes to reset the engine lights. the only tools you need are a 1" socket and a screw driver. Hope this helps. By the way the sensor is on the side of your tranny (Plastic)
  • jgwiijgwii Member Posts: 1
    started having a gear grinding noise in transfer case
    seems to be getting worst can anyone help me with this?
  • honeyman2honeyman2 Member Posts: 8
    My trans keeps going in and out at 49 to 52 mph .and now its doing it at about 30mph .If I keep giving it fuel it shiftd like its suppose to .Could it be my TSP?
    I lost my door remote (2003 Dakota), but have another remote now. Can I self program (and how, please) or must I go to the dealer to get it programmed?? bobwinner
  • kwittkwitt Member Posts: 2
    I used to work at a dealership and you have to program the remote with the scanner. they also must be reprogramed at the same time. If you only program a new one you won't be able to use the old one that was working. The good news is it should only take 5 to 10 minutes to reprogram them. It usually took more time to find which module it was run through, it is different on some models, once you had the scanner hooked up. kwitt
  • kwittkwitt Member Posts: 2
    Read you manual again it also says not to have it in overdrive when towing or hauling heavy loads. This will drop you gas mileage a little but it is cheaper than having to fix your trans.
    kwitt
    Thanks kwitt, I went to the dealer. 30 min, $30 and done. I knew the owner could program Ford, but now I see only the dealer can program a Dodge. Thank you. bobwinner
  • majiquemajique Member Posts: 1
    1994 B250, auto tranny, 140K miles. Not sure if it's the original tranny.

Vehicle ran fine until this weekend. While on the interstate running about 60 mph I noticed the vehicle was slowing down eventhough I continued to press the accelerator. It finally slowed to a stop. I placed it in Park, then back to Drive but the vehicle wouldn't move. I turned off the ignition for 15 - 20 seconds then restarted the van, put it in drive and drove away, going through all four gears. Then 1/2 mile later it started slowing down again. I put it in neutral, turned off the ignition and waited 15 -20 seconds then restarted the van and put it back in Drive. The van ran fine for about another 1/4 mile then the symptoms occured again. Checked the tranny fluid in neutral and all looks good, fluid is not burnt or foamy.
    What puzzles me is why turning off the ignition then waiting a while and restarting the engine seems to fix the problem for a short distance. I realize it may have something to do with something being "reset" but am clueless as to what to check or look at.

Any suggestions?
  • maxamusmaxamus Member Posts: 7
    Hi i have a 98 5.9 1500 ram pickup.
    It has a 46re transmission.
    today it was running fine then i came to a stop. when accelerating it needed more revs than usual to take off. I also noticed it wasnt going on to od.
    i stopped turned truck off, checked fluid level OK. When i started truck after only a few minutes it shifted as normal. It seems to have the problem when the truck is warm.
    There are no warning ights coming on at all.
    Any ideas?
  • maxamusmaxamus Member Posts: 7
    Hi Dustyk
    Again im sorry for contacting you this way but i cant seem to find out how to email you directly.
    anyway trucj has been fine for a while now, untill yesterday.
    Driving as normal then i came to a stop at the traffic lights, when setting of the truck (1500 ram pickup 46re) was very slow to accelerate once up to speed i also noticed it would not shift into O/D.
    I pulled over and checked the transmission fluid level OK, no leeks and no check lights.
    Got back in the truck, started up set off all ok again? then after a few miles again after a stop slow to accelerate. Turned off and on again hey presto all ok.
    I suspect some kind of electrical problem do you have any ideas at all.
    Many thanks

Lee
  • mrhustle4mrhustle4 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Dodge Dakota that has a problem when it is shifted into any gear. The truck is an automatic and when I shift it into any gear it appears to go into neutral except when I run the RPMs up to about 3500-4000 the truck will start to move very slowly. I just had it looked at by a transmission shop and after getting it back, the problem still persists. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
  • gtalleygtalley Member Posts: 1
    My 99 2500 DSL AT won't shift into 2nd gear. I have researched it. It' in limp in mode. Cleaned all battery connections, retightened, used a code reader no codes. Can someone help :confuse:
  • bulldog77bulldog77 Member Posts: 8
    I'm a new member. I have 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 w/ the Cummins diesel. Today, I got a "no bus" message on my odometer, and none of the instruments are working. The low fuel, ABS, check engine, and airbag lights are also on. On the overhead display, all readings show "CCd", except for the elapsed time. The truck still starts and runs fine, but the lights come back on shortly after starting. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Martin
  • jay1164jay1164 Member Posts: 3
    Ive been having a very similar problem with mine went out bought a TPS spent $260 on a non returnable dealer only part only to find out that wasnt the problem. there is a way to test it first to see if it has issues using i believe a ohm or voltmeter sorry i dont remember where i saw it at but found it on the web somewhere or if u have a really good repair manual it'll be there with instructions. I wish my hubby would of listened n tested it first :D
  • microbcmicrobc Member Posts: 2
    I have read alot on here about 3 to 4 and 4 to 3 issues but haven't been able to find one similar to mine.

Hoping someone can help!

My truck runs great and shifts smooth through all gears but......

When I start my truck after it has sat overnight, it will shift great (including overdrive) whether I drive if 5 miles or 100 miles. The button on the dash will operate perfectly (light up) during this time.

It will go into and out of OD without any issues during this time.

Once I shut the truck off, if I restart it shortly after (either right away or after say a half hour) it will no longer shift into overdrive and the light on the dash switch will not come on if I press it to disengage the OD.

The next morning if I start it up it will work perfectly for the initial drive and then not work if I restart.

I can repeat this isssue exactly every time I use the truck.

I have good clean fluid and it is at the correct level. I have no other issues with the running of the truck.

The truck has a new TPS as it was stalling at idle (the new TPS fixed the idle issue. This OD issue existed before and after the new TPS).

The service engine light is not on and there are no codes shown doing the on/off/on/off/on check.

Any thoughts on where to look would be appriciated

Thanks,

Art
  • augiedoggyaugiedoggy Member Posts: 1
    ?? tps sensor is only $39 bucks at advance auto priced one today for my ram thats stuck in limp home mode....
    Thanks augiedoggy and honeyman2. I actually meant to post in a new thread - I'll see if I can figure out how to do that.

Yesterday the guages started working and only the check engine light was left on, and today even that went off. Gremlins! Will check into the TPS and am planning on checking continuity on all sensor wiring I can get my meter on.

Thanks,
    Martin
  • pontibeastpontibeast Member Posts: 1
    I am getting a whirring noise in my 1997 dodge ram 1500 transmission. It seems to be mainly in third and fourth gear, but I can also hear it when coasting to a stop. The fluid level is good and doesn't smell burnt, but I am worried about the noise. So far there is no slippage or shift problems. Does anyone have any ideas on the cause or where I can look to fix it. I am an amateur back yard mechanic and I am comfortable pulling the pan, filter and valve body if I need to. Other than that I will probably need a pro. Thanks for any help you can offer.
    Sorry - thanks to auggiedoggy and jay1164 (not honeyman2). Still getting used to using the forum. Posted on the "Computer Codes..." forum and am getting some answers.

Thanks again,
    Martin
  • cableguy66cableguy66 Member Posts: 1
    I have 2001 Ram 2500 Van with a 46RE tranny, rear end made a loud clunking noise when I hit a bump but didn't lock up, when I tried to give it throttle, nothing. I got it towed home and removed the pumpkin cover to find the 4 smaller pinion gears and pin were laying at the bottom and all the teeth were chewed about off, the ring gear and driveshaft pinion gear are fine, so I replaced the rear axle, and now I have no forward gears, but reverse runs fine? Dropped pan and tranny fluid/filter are clean and nothing laying in the bottom of the pan at all. When I put it in P, D, 2 or 1, sounds like it's out of fluid but when I put it in R, grabs and no noise?? Every mechanic that I talk to automatically says "It needs rebuilt" but I just can't see how it would go like? Anyone know what might be a cure for it?

Thanks, Ed
  • jim1945jim1945 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 02 Dodge Ram with a Cummings. At about 1500 RPM's at about 35 MPH the transmission shifts from O.D. back to fourth and back to O.D. and goes back and forth between these two gears. I thought it could be in the computer so I unhooked the batteries thinking it would reset the computer but nothing changed. Can someone give me an idea what the problem is ? Thanks
  • dodgeramman2dodgeramman2 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2000 cummins and mine did the same thing all the time between 35 to 40 miles an hour so i took it to the tranny shop and the told me theses trucks have poor grounding so they ran more ground straps from the two batteries the engine and it seems to have fixed the problem for the most part it still does it from time to time but not near as bad. hope this helps