Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Yukon / Yukon Denali

Comments

• tinatarktinatark Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone heard if GM will offer the all wheel steering on the 05 Denali XL? A rear camera?

I know that the AWS (whatever GM calls it) is available on the xl 3/4 ton, and you can add most of the options the Denali has, but it's not the same! I don't get why this hasn't been an option already....

As far as the back up camera - wow, my Acura MDX has it and it is GREAT! Darn, if the Acura was a little bigger, I wouldn't even be considering a Denali again! The Denali was on our short list when we bought the Acura, now I've told DH if these options are available we'll get the Denali.
  • lobsenzalobsenza Member Posts: 619
    The reason that it is currently only available on pickups and 3/4 ton SUVs is because of the rear suspension design. Pickups and 3/4 ton use leaf springs and the 1/2 ton utes use coil springs. This requires a design change on the 4 wheel steering. I think GM is missing the boat since I think this segment will generate the most sales.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I think GM is missing the boat since I think this segment will generate the most sales.

You may well be right but I wouldn't underestimate the power of (expensive!) market research.

tidester, host
  • tinatarktinatark Member Posts: 2
    you hearing something we haven't?!

No one at the dealerships have a clue to future offerings. Makes sense, I guess, since they want to sell current vehicles, not one in a few months.

My research helped a few salespeople - they didn't know that the Denali is taller than the Denali XL (that inch and a little makes a difference, the XL fits into my garage, the regular one is too tall!)... one salesman told me he had searched every dealership within 500 miles to find an XL with nav and RES, there were none available - I had already verified I think 5 at a dealership 20 miles away. Yeech! Small town dealership! They wanted us to buy this one with a package they added - a push bar and dvd player - screens in the headrests - for an extra $5k! Yes, I ran quickly from there!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    you hearing something we haven't?!

No.

No one at the dealerships have a clue to future offerings.

The dealerships aren't paying for market research and one's experience with a single dealership or local market doesn't indicate market trend. I'm only saying that we may think such and such is a great market idea but I don't think our feelings have quite the same value as solid market research.

tidester, host
  • cornellpinoycornellpinoy Member Posts: 196
    On the 2nd row (60/40 split bench) in my '02 Denali, you can adjust the seat back angle. Is this feature still on the '04 models?

I was at a GM Autoshow in Motion event and tested the '04 Escalade and '04 Escalade ESV. I noticed with the middle row (whether bench or captains chairs) there was no handle to adjust the seat back angle.

Didn't have time to check the seats on the Denalis at the show, so I'm wondering if this feature was de-contented or if the handles were just relocated.

Thanks!
  • cmengcmeng Member Posts: 26
    liquidlab,

I found these LED lights:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&tc=p- hoto&item=2482816489&category=50070

I'm wondering if, because of the very low current draw, they could be easier to install in the doors and footwell. Just wire them into the "signal delivery" circuit? Would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks
    Charley
  • gijoe1gijoe1 Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone have any info on 05 Yukon Denali? what are they changing? body style? Better gas milage? any info will be appreciated.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A newspaper reporter is wondering if people are satisfied or dissatisfied with their vehicle navigation systems. Please send your brief comments and daytime contact info to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, July 14, 2004.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• uwahuskyuwahusky Member Posts: 17
    I have an opportunity to buy my father-in-law's 2003 Yukon Denali for $35k. It has 5k miles on it, middle captains chairs and moonroof. It's a pretty stock Denali but from what I can tell, Denali's come fairly loaded. It's white with tan interior.

I've never been a big GM fan, mostly because I know too many people who have them and complain of rattling and other mechanical problems. However, I know this one is in great shape and has been well taken care of. My wife wants it for the 3rd row seats and as a long term solution for her and her car-pooling, soccer mom duties. She currently has an 2002 ML500 (if anyone's interested).
    I would compare the value to book value and decide if it is a good value based on that. It is a totally different vehicle than the ML500. It is more truck like. It can haul and tow a lot more and is roomier. I have an 01 DXL and am very happy with it. It definitely meets our needs.
  • greysgreys Member Posts: 6
    I'm having a huge dilemma deciding between the silver and the black. I thought that my wife and I were set on getting the silver Denali. Then we go to a different dealership and the next thing you know, she changes and wants the XL, not a problem but now I don't know if I want the silver or black. Any opinions?
  • dilbertzzzdilbertzzz Member Posts: 190
    Black looks sharper, IMHO, when clean! So, you had best be a lover of car washing (brushless, if automated to avoid swirl/scratch marks; USA-made 100% cotton towels, if you hand wash) because dirty black just looks horrible. It's a truly black and white with no greys (pun intended) situation.

Silver is closer to "greys" befitting your screen name here. ;-) Besides, silver, with the possible exception of white, is the most forgiving of both dust and dirt. It looks pretty good even if you cannot always wash the daily grime away.

Your profile doesn't specify your location, but black also retains heat much worse than silver would; making summer comfort a consideration.

But, once you decide, just never look back (except, of course, to admire the beauty of your pick and the incredible wisdom you displayed in picking black/silver, as the case may be!).
  • ocmike3ocmike3 Member Posts: 232
    dilbertzzz has good point. My 2001 was the polo green (dark) and it showed all the dirt and any swirls from cleaning. As long as you keep it clean and sealed with like a Zaino it'll look good. Personally I like the black, but not the care investment to keep it looking sharp.
    Thanks for the advise. After going back and looking at the silver, we decided to go with the black. We thought that the silver would be more forgiving for scratches etc. (two kids, one riding a bike and one who will be learning soon) but we both agreed that no color looked as good as the black when clean (the white coming in close second). So now, we've decided on the black model only now it's no longer the XL. Another question, when do the 2005 models come out? We're debating on getting the 2004, we were quoted at $43262 for a black Denali with navigation, sunroof and bucket second row seats or waiting for the 2005 model. So does anyone know when they'll be available?
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    '05 Denali's and other big GM ute's have been in production for about a month and dealer's should already have a couple on the lot, with a lot more scheduled to hit pretty soon.

As for the Denali, here's the '05 changes:

Deletions:

- 145-amp alternator (KG3)
    - Exterior color Polo Green Metallic (47U)
    - External engine oil cooler (KC4)

New Features:

- Touch-screen enhancement on Touch-screen Navigation Radio (UM8).
    - Enhancements to tire pressure monitoring system (UJ6) indicate which tire is low.
    - 160-amp alternator (KW1)
    - Heavy-duty external engine oil cooler (KNP)
    - Exterior color Steel Gray Metallic (16U)
    - Exterior color Blue-Green Crystal (26U)

As far as pricing, the stickers are very much the same, it's just that you won't get the approx. $10k discount on the '05 as you can get now on an '04. The differences are so minor, I'd just go for the '04 with the big discount.
    Thanks for the info. beach15. Where did you find this information? Also, are their any places where we can see the steel gray and blue-green colors?
  • aggiedogaggiedog Member Posts: 238
    Can anyone explain to me why even the XL, doesn't have rear parking sensors?
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Maybe cause um the drivers know how to drive? I've parked an SUV for 15 years and mine have a spare tire hanging off the back, never hit another car! Amazing, that I can park w/o sensors! If you can't park it w/o sensors you should NOT be driving that size vehicle!

-mike
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Gee Mike, the way I remember it is that you got bull bars so you could enlarge those NYC parking spaces you deal with all the time.

Unless you're worried about kangaroos escaping from the Bronx Zoo?

:-)

Steve, Host
    Hee hee!

True true, but I know where the end of my truck is when I use those bars to push the other vehicles in the spots ;)

I just couldn't fathom someone needing to use those sensors, yeah they are a cool gimmick, but if I wasn't comfortable enough to backup without hitting something I would not be driving such a vehicle! :)

Thinking of getting an '03 or '04 Denali XL myself, need more towing, and travel capacity for http://TeamIAC.com :)

-mike
    I was hoping that it had the sensors as well but not for me, for my wife. It's going to be an adjustment for me (going from driving an Accord to a Denali) but my wife is who I'm really concerned about. It would have definitely helped and made her feel more comfortable. No matter, I'm getting the Denali anyway and I'm the primary driver so I'm good to go.
    Heard it before. It's your "wife", huh? ;-)

Actually, I would love the rear sensors to feel a little better that I'm not going to run over somebody more than the concern about hitting something.

We have a quarter-turn, up a slope driveway into our front garage. Obviously, we pull into the garage forward and so back out when leaving going over the front sidewalk of course. I always check behind the car before pulling out, watch the side mirrors all the way down (windshield-mounted rear view is useless for anything smaller than a Yukon or farther than 40 feet behind), and pause to look both ways up and down sidewalk as well as street before crossing the first and out into the second. Even so, blind spots are huge, children are fast, complacency grows with time, and I would hate to face the results of even a single mistake in hitting some person.

I suppose, I could break down and get one of those fresnel lenses to stick on my rear hatch window. I am over fifty now, so I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world if my ride screams out "CODGER AHEAD!!!" as I drive.... ;-)
    inch out of your driveway, pretty easy not to hit somebody if you are inching out. Of course if you are one of those people doing like 40mph backward out yourdriveway I guess those sensors can help. Just a matter of care and responsibility IMHO.

-mike
    I do go slowly. 2 or 3 mph is crawling. Try running a multi-ton vehicle into a 2X4 wooden fence post (maybe even a 4X4) at 2 or 3 mph. The post will snap like a twig (and the bumper/sheet metal of the vehicle will suffer too).

A child, who is not paying attention, could run behind my truck no matter how slowly I am backing. Even crawling backward, as I do, I'm afraid the child might suffer horribly from what might seem even the slightest bump. Plus, if the child got past my view and I didn't feel the impact (a child doesn't resist like a post, after all), I might well run over the startled child once s/he's down.

I know, I know, it sounds like so much neuroticism, huh? But, I'd be willing to bet such things happen much more often than we think. And it is no small thing for anyone involved, I'm sure of that.

I mean how many times do you hear about people dying by being hit by lightning? Doesn't seem common, does it? Even so, it is one of the most frequent nature-death-caused events. I think maybe only flooding kills more each year.

Many of the lightning deaths happen on golf courses where golfers stay out in the open near thunder storms, no doubt buoyed in confidence thinking that the odds are low of being struck since they personally have never before known anyone hit by lightning.

The same unscientific "common sense" approach to such things keeps people propagating all kinds of superstition, buying lottery tickets, falling for get-rich-quick scams, and -- all too frequently -- finding out the hard way that something bad which was easily-avoidable is much more likely to happen than they ever dared suppose. Just think of the surprise that must be common for talking-on-the-cell-phone drivers as they finally and too late become aware of the accident they are now a part of (or maybe caused)!

Without the sensors (and even with them!) I will continue to be a little neurotic in hopes that I will at least avoid increasing the "accident" chances by adding complacency to the mix.
    hmm maybe back into your driveway?
    ;)

-mike
  • ltw12000ltw12000 Member Posts: 8
    You know you can have them installed after market?
    ”During the backup which I did slowly and carefully, using the rearview mirrors - everything right, I ran right over him. And I was in complete disbelief. Complete shock. Complete shock.”

WBZ4

A more recent story is here. At least 130 kids have died this way.

Steve, Host
  • mstensonmstenson Member Posts: 2
    You seem very knowledgeable. Any advice on the Tahoe LT fully loaded vs. the Yukon XL or DXL? We're torn between Tahoe & Yukon...

Any thoughts on which is nicer or the better value (fully loaded with Nav & Rear DVD, 2nd Row bucket seats, etc.) ...3 kid's under 9....Thoughts?
  • erinsquarederinsquared Member Posts: 178
    Paisan, as a fellow ex-Trooper owner ('99 S w/ perf. pkg, auto. TOD) who upgraded to the Denali, I can express a few observations, although I am sure you have probably already done all of the research. Obviously, two different breeds of vehicles: Trooper is really an offroad Billy goat, whereas D is a great road-handling muscle car (truck) that works great in slippery conditions(mud, sand, snow, water). If you are using your vehicle more for street driving, the towing, comfort & performance, better gas mileage (hard to believe!) tip in favor of the D. Now, I've got the '01 D which has the old style LSD and AWD instead of the new style 4-wheel traction control. Too bad Isuzu did not adopt the Yukon/Tahoe platform for a new Trooper and put in one of their venerable diesels! They'll miss such a staunch customer, but what can you do.
    Glad to hear your observations. I'm actually gonna keep my Trooper I think since the trade-in value is so low on it I might as well keep it for offroading and city driving. The Denali will do Team IAC work hauling the race car and team to track days and for when I want to head out to dinner with the family etc. Heck I'll be able to put the trooper on the trailer for offroad events and not worry about breaking something! ;)

-mike
  • erinsquarederinsquared Member Posts: 178
    Looks like you'll be able to enjoy the best of both worlds. I look forward to you joining the D crowd, since you are sure to find out how to improve upon the formula. How about trying to fit an H2 low-range center diff into the Denali ;)
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Mike (paisan) and I were discussing the back up sensors over on the Cadillac Escalade thread. The reason the Cadillac jumped to the top of my list was because the rear sensors are standard on the Escalade. I was quoted $1,700 for adding the rear sensors to the Denali XL and was concerned about the interior monitor and how it might look cheesy and added-on.

Mike seems to the think that having the sensors is an admission that you can't drive. I think it's an added safety measure since the "longer" ESV version is what I am considering would be helpful. Also I like the fact that when comparing the Yukon Denali XL to the Escalade ESV, the Cadillac has a longer warranty, includes rear seat heaters, three rows of leather, more horsepower on the 6.0, upgraded dash with the (drum-roll) "woodgrain" and "Bvlgari" clock, etc.

I have a similar driveway problem that the above poster (dilbertzzz) mentioned, I live at a dead-end street where I get really close to a fence and flower bed when backing up, the sensors on my ML500 allow me to just watch the display without twisting my neck and raising up out of my seat when backing. I just watch the sensor indicator at the rear of the ceiling which allows for a quicker exit and I'm on my way. (I also look at all three mirrors too)

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
    The Denali has them unless they have been removed since 01.
    I remember seing a device somewhere that will unlock all doors with one push of the keyfob on our SUVs. Now I can't find it. Anyome know where I can get a device that will do that.
    A lot of OEM fobs open all doors with two clicks or holding down a push button. JC Whitney has an aftermarket lock with a remote that'll open all doors with one click (link) and I sure there must be others out there.

Steve, Host
  • jgmilbergjgmilberg Member Posts: 872
    I don't think that the 3rd row is leather. I know for a fact that the Yukon/XL and Denali/XL have vinyl 3rd rows for the durability of having to remove them. The vinyl can handle the abrasions and small hang ups that would damage leather during removal/transporting/storage. The grain is the same but the feel and smell is different, I would double check on that before you choose the ESV for that and the reverse sensors. I have heard that the '05 Denali/XL will have reverse sensors available as an option. Yukon/XL are still out of luck, must be because of the chrome bumper.
    Just to clarify, the Denali has vinyl seating on the third row... the Escalade has LEATHER seating on the third row. (Reading directly from brochure).

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
    Must be because they don't expect anyone buying the Cadillac to ever stoop to removing the rear seat (much less to actually consider carrying any real cargo -- Icky!). ;-)
    Yes, that will work. But, I am not looking for that. I am looking for a device that will take a single press on the factory keyfob and convert it into the double press required to open all doors. I did see one somewhere, but now I can't find it.

If I am not mistaken, the 2001 Denalis have a leather 3rd row. They probably changed it in a cost cutting move.
    I think you need a Windows XP fob :-)

Steve, Host
  • aggiedogaggiedog Member Posts: 238
    "Yukon/XL are still out of luck, must be because of the chrome bumper."

The Nissan Armada has partial chrome on the rear bumper and all Armadas have standard rear sensors. GM's probably trying to separate the upscale Denali/Escalade from the regular Yukon.
  • merlotcarmerlotcar Member Posts: 1
    We traded from the 01 DXL to the 05 DXL, vehicle feels tighter, probably being new.
    1) To jgmilberg-there is no back-up sensor, maybe it's coming later--it would be nice to have.
    2) I'm a little disappointed with the navigation, the new touch screen is nice, but it can't find our house on the street, the house numbers are all wrong.--does anyone know who the map/software provider is for GM? I haven't asked the dealer yet.
    Nope - 2001's had vinyl, verified that when I bought mine - many years ago it was called naugahyde to make it sound better.
    Interesting. Do you have a short wheelbase or long wheelbase? I have a long wheel base and I thought it was leather on the long wheelbase models. But, i could be wrong.
    I had the reg Denali not the XL, and was told the third row seats were vinyl in both. (I looked at both to decide if I needed the extra room.) If you find a seam or look close at the stitching you'll be able to tell. The vinyl also has a bit more "grain" to it.
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Here's a pic of a new '05 Denali in the new Steel Gray color. I love it, and think it's one of the best colors for the truck.

http://www.driveultimate.com/GMC/5918_1.html
    I was just in for service this weekend and they had Steel Gray one there also - Very Sharp, Great Color, I agree.
  • jgmilbergjgmilberg Member Posts: 872
    What I meant to say in the post about the reverse sensors in the chrome bumpers was that they would be 4 black sensors in a chrome bumper - added on after thought looking. On the Denali/Escalade they have a painted bumper cover that the sensors will be painted to match and blend into the cover.

Does anyone know the paint code for "steel gray"? Looks like my '04 YXL's "Silverbirch" color 59.

Has anyone sen the new Blue-Green Crystal yet? I saw one ay my local dealer yesterday, what a slick looking paint. Deep blue base with a blue/green flake in the clear that just glows in the sunlight! Not sure if it's going to be available on the Denali/XL or not. The one I saw was a Yukon.