Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Transmission Problems

Comments

• tomedtomed Member Posts: 1
    out of the blue my tranny started slipping. I took the truck home and checked my fluid it was only a 1/2qt low or so and it didnt smell burnt I added fluid and drove it to work it still slipped only when taking off it kicks down and shifts finre at higher speeds.on my way home however as I stopped at a stop sign the truck died nosputter or nothing just died it started right bac up slipped on take off. The next day went out to mess with it and now when I start it and put it in gear no matter drive or reverse it kills the engine any oppinions please Thanks
  • rufast2rufast2 Member Posts: 1
    I am new to this so i dont know how this works. The truck first started slipping, and i changed the fluids and filter, and it drove for a few weeks, then it stopped again. Now it is leaking from the front seal, and making whining noises, and a fluid noise threw the heater core.Wont go into gear and when it finally will it kills it. Please someone help me save some money, i have no idea......
  • biff61biff61 Member Posts: 3
  • biff61biff61 Member Posts: 3
    I own a 2001 Dodge 1500 4x4. When I start out cold the trans wants to shift very quickly. When I stop sometimes it doesn't want to down shift. After about 2 or 3 miles it works great. If I shift manually it works fine. This is the only time I have any problems. The rest of the day everything is great even OD. Any Ideas would be helpful.
  • fkndfknd Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 dodge ram 4x4.I have had to replace the governor sensor twice.My check engine light went off but came back on the same day.It did fix my shifting problem but now its messed up again.worked fine when we got home monday night but my wife drove itto work the next day and she had to roll into the parking lot.After work it drove good for about three blocks and the transmission quit again.Towed it home and the next day the transmission would shift into gear.When I replaced sensor I replaceed the filter and fluid.Do i need to have the computer retrained or is there something else I can try to make this POS run?Thankyou and good luck with your dodges
    Remove the transmission pan and you shouldbe looking at it. It will be on the right side of valve body(passenger side).
  • auntieannauntieann Member Posts: 2
    I replaced the tranny due to failure at 30,000 miles now need a new torque converter at 100,000 miles. I want a heavy duty converter, are there any thoughts to which one I should look at, need answers asap as the truck is in the garage as we write.
  • dieselkcdieselkc Member Posts: 14
    Your premature trans failure may have been due to a bad converter all along. The convertors have a brass bushing that eventually gets chewed up and starts putting brass shavings into the valve body making the trans act out. You wont see any metal by pulling the dipstick as the brass shavings are too heavy to stay suspended in the oil. Anywho, as far as a converter, do yourself the favor and pick up a nice billet tripple disc converter. It will pay for itself in the long run. Brand is not important! Just stick with a fairly reputable company. The transmissions themselves paticularly the 48 re the 46 and 47 are good too. REMEMBER, the weak spot is the stock converter. Good soft parts rebuild and cleaning on the trans and a tripple disk billet conv. and you'll be good for a long time. If ypu wamt to get fancy (no extra cost) picl a converter with a lower stall speed i/e 1600 rpm as it puts the motor right at its torque peak. Mine loved it- if its a diesel. If its gas, stick with the stock recomended stall spd.
  • auntieannauntieann Member Posts: 2
    Thanx for the reply. I did not have anything done yet because I wanted input from
    more people; I have been told ATS and Sun Coast are good, would like some yeas or nays on these products. I have an after market Pacbrake that needs a new lock up module and sun coast has one that can be programed, does anyone have an opinion.
  • kevin92kevin92 Member Posts: 1
    truck won't shift from 1st to 2nd gear until you let off the gas or it reaches 3000 rpm also the speedo wont work to you get to 25 mph anyone have any idea's what this could be truck has 71000 miles on it there is no engine light on and no code's
    Check your linkage and throttle valve cable.Sometimes the throttle vale cable can stick. Not sure about speedo not working correctly ,you might check speed sensor or throttle position sensor.
  • bobwinnerbobwinner Member Posts: 47
    could be speed sensor located on rear differential.bobwinner
  • dcraft49dcraft49 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2007 1500 Ram (fleet truck) w/19k miles on it. It has a full tow package. Within a week I noticed it would growl sometimes when putting it in reverse, and when, shifting to drive it would hesitate. I was told this was normal (mostly when cold). Recently it started having shifting problems, i.e., the lock-up converter was going in and out.(now has 65K miles on it). I had a transmission shop run a scan on it and it came back "no errors". So I had it serviced (takes two filters) and made sure the proper oil was used. It was better for awhile and now it is worse. Periodically it will shift in and out of overdrive to third and back. It does not do this all the time. The odd thing is it only happens when my wife drives it (her work truck). I have not been able to make the tranny do it. Any suggestions?
  • akjoeakjoe Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 1 ton diesel 4X4 with an automatic tranny. When I floor my vehicle at 30 mph the tach goes past the indicated redline (3,000 rpm) to about 3,400 rpm, drops quite a bit RPM's as if it is going to grab the next gear but doesn't. The tach immediatly returns to 3.400 rpm and the tranny free wheels (no forward push). Shop replaced the tranny---same problem exists. Happens when vehicle is cold--as in Alaska cold but not all the time. Shop says the TP sensor checks out via the OBD test equipment as does the tranny. They said the cable also checks out?? What cable? At times the tranny runs fine with no issues. Also when cold first gear will wrap out to about 2,600 rpm before gently shifting into 2d. Shop wants to put in another tranny.
  • mikeklunkmikeklunk Member Posts: 1
    I have a Dodge Ram Van B150 and I have always had transmission problems. I know that the slippage issue is one of many that RE's have. Today one of my workers moved the van and parked it. Upon trying to drive it again the van wouldn't go into reverse. So we added some Lucas Transmission Fix and a can of Trans-X to it thinking it was a sticky something or other. Well it's still stuck so I'm not sure what it could be. If I cycle the transmission through the gears it seems like its stuck in drive. In park it wont rev up, it seems like its in drive but still locked in park. In reverse it doesnt move although in a high rev it lurches forward minorly. In all N,D,OD,1,2 it is in drive. What could be the problem? I don't know much about it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • ram05dslram05dsl Member Posts: 1
    The 7year-70k warranty on my 05Ram Cummins expires in about 1100 miles and I hope to solve this by then. It has recently been serviced at the dealership for the following symptoms that still exist. After some steady driving(15-20minutes), my transmission starts to hang onto low gear longer and shifts into the next gear hard. On the reverse side of it, when slowing down it shifts sooner. At about 30mph it drops into lower gears quite abruptly. It makes it a pisser driving through the village.
    Any similar situations and fix it's out there?
  • erock15erock15 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500. Now with 70,000 miles, only 10,000 past my warrenty (would'nt you know it), my check engine light goes on. The engine light gets diagnosed as a transmission code and it turns out that the cellinoid pack is taking on small metal fragments from inside the transmission, causing the cellinoid pack to short out. Dodge themselves replaced the pack but why won't the same thing happen again?? Has this happen to anyone out there?
  • stanoskistanoski Member Posts: 76
    Dont you have a lifetime power train warrantee on your 07? I have one and got that when I bought it?

Ski in TX
  • tmartin84tmartin84 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 dodge 2500 cummins that when I start it in the morning it wont shift out of first. after it warms up it will shift to second if i let off of the accelerator. ran the computer on it today and no codes. so i changed my throttle position sensor and it didnt help at all. Any ideas? I really need to get it fixed its my only vehicle. Thanks :confuse:
  • 1320king1320king Member Posts: 1
    I have a 02 Dodge Ram 4x4 Quadcab 1500 with the 360 engine and auto(46RE) trans. The truck has 98,000 miles on it. Never any trans problem

I had changed the transmission fluid and filter about 3 weeks ago using ATF 4 fluid that I got from Autozone. No problem.

I was coming home from work yesterday and all of a sudden the trans started slipping. It got so bad that I couldnt even get the truck to move while in gear. I had to call a tow truck to get it back to my house. When he arrived I was able to get the truck to move in reverse and then briefly move forward while in drive.

Could it be something that I could of did to cause it?
    When I changed fluid I had compared the new filter with the old filter and they both seemed the same.

I notice that when I let the truck sit and I start it up and shift the trans it seems to be ok but when it starts to get warm it does not want to shift and will make a tinney humming noise when put in drive or reverse but it does not make the noise while in park.

So when warm it will not want to move in reverse or in any forward gear but sometimes it will want to shift and then it will slip

Can I adjust the bands for a temporary fix? And if so how is that done?
  • dennisv2dennisv2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 ram 2500 with a v10 and auto trans. When I start out I have to let up on the gas to let it shift from 1st to 2nd and then after that shift the the rest of the shifting is fine.Any help would be great.Thanks
  • curtissccurtissc Member Posts: 1
    my 2006 ram 4x4 quad cab hesitates to go into gear until the truck has warmed up for a few minutes, especially when its cold. It has an automatic transmission and i can start it and shift into drive or reverse but it will not engage until its ready to. any suggestions??
  • wigsdieselwigsdiesel Member Posts: 1
    I am working on a '99 Dodge 2500 diesel 4x4, had trans sent to another shop to be rebuilt. The guy is supposed to be really good with these. (I have never rebuilt a Dodge trans). Put new converter and tranny back in,hooked everything up and the truck will not start with the key. The reverse lights are on when you turn the key to the run position and it does not matter what gear you put the tranny in. No codes are present, changed the neutral safety switch - no change. Also, I jump started the truck off of the starter and the damn thing just sits there like it is in park, no matter what gear you put it in or what range you put the case in. Any one have an Idea?
  • 04ltguyandgirl04ltguyandgirl Member Posts: 15
    i just bought a 2003 ram 1500 quadcab with the 5.9 gas engine auto with 4X4

i immediatelt asked the dealership to show me service records and they showed me proof of just a new filter and fluid

i took it to aamco and invested over $600 in a electronic transmission tune up

and i put in a pan cooler which is deeper than the stock pan

i tell you what, after 25,000 miles of towing the fluid is brand new still. and i just hit 103k miles and had the transmission remove the pan hand it to me and i looked in the bottom of the oan and it was very clean.

best investment i ever done
    i was told by aamco that flushing isnt good for your tranny because it flushed away part of the paper gaskets on the clutches. so i use a safeguard transmission service. they suck out all the fluid through the dipstick hole.

then the rest of the fluid in the pan is removed, a new filter

costs about $130

money well spent

if you do buy a dodge ram immediately invest in a e.t.t. (electonic transmission tune-up. it comes with all new soleniod pack, and pressure switches and if possible buy a pan cooler. it will save your tranny.

i was told that theese trannys cost up to 4thousand to overhaul so its worth spending $600 fo a e.t.t.
  • ttram2500ttram2500 Member Posts: 1
    Truck has abour 80,000 mi. For some reason it slips out of 4H when stopped at a light. I am positive it is in 4H, the shifter is all the way back & the 4WL light is in the dash. With the recient snow in the north east, you really feel the difference.
    Anyway, anyone having this problem? I am new to this truck and when I bought it I had it serviced pretty good.
  • mikentjmikentj Member Posts: 1
    I drove my truck to Dallas from Austin and back yesterday and had no problems at all. This morning when I tried to drive the truck it wasn't shifting correctly at first and then seemed to straighten up. A little later while driving home it was acting a bit strange again in its shifting but when I got home I could not shift into park. If I pull the shift lever to the left with a bit of force I can get the key out, but will only start in neutral. One other thing on a long trip I noticed that sometimes it tries to jump to passing gear for a brief moment and now its doing that when I turn a corner and try to accelerate slowly.
  • figbrankfigbrank Member Posts: 1
    with dodges they dont circulate oil while in park. what i do is start the truck and immediatley shift to neutral while idling for a few seconds to get the oil circulating. my oil drains back into the pan while sitting overnight.
  • ramlovrramlovr Member Posts: 17
    I know this has been discussed before but I just want to clarify.I drive a 98 Ram 4x4 with a 5.9L. It is shifting out of OD at 70 mph after driving for about 30-40 miles. I have seen other posts that say they are having the same issues. I was wondering why are these trucks only doing this at 70mph after driving for 30-40 miles at that speed? .Is it the speed sensor or maybe trans temp sensor? Code 740.
  • timb5timb5 Member Posts: 4
    Recently, I've noticed that my torque convertor is locking up, between 45 and 50 miles per hour, and will not lock up if I accelerate past 50. The truck is a 1997 Dodge 1500 4x4, with 168,000 miles on the original engine and tranny. The truck has always had normal scheduled maintainance, including tranny service about 25,000 miles ago. The tranny shifts smoothly otherwise and the fluid looks good. I had it test driven by someone from AAMCO and he felt (guessed) that the torque converter is on it's way out. Any idea on why the TCC would lock up at only the slower speed? Is there an adjustment, etc. to check? Any help/ideas would be appreciated. Thanks. Tim
    I don't have a solution for you but it might actually be happening is your torque converter is unlocking. I'm experiencing a similar situation and, after a test drive, was told by a AAMCO service guy, the torque converter is on it's way out.
    Funny you say that. I called on tranny shop and told them my truck was showing code 740. That's a torque converter lockup issue.They told me I need a need a new trany now, I'm no rocket scientist but I thought that cant be right so I took my truck to another shop they took off the pan and there was almost nothing on the magnet. No sign of clutch material a little very fine metal shavings more like dust really. Had it flushed and new atf 4 installed. They told me I need a new computer. These shops are just trying to make money off of me. I dont need a new computer all I have to do is take it to the dealer to have it flashed. I have done a lot of research on this matter.It could be a number of things causing this problem. Output speed sensor,Governor pressure sensor,Throttle position sensor and I'm sure the list goes on.My local Dodge Dealer told me they replace these thing's on a regular basis because they fail. They told me to make an apt and on that day take my truck on the interstate until it drops out of overdrive then drive it there while it's actually happening so they can hook it up to a computer and find out what is causing it.I was just hoping someone on here would know what sensor or solenoid I should replace first.
    Yep. The P0740 code is for a Torque Converter Clutch Malfunction. I'm not sure exactly what would trigger that code. I am pretty sure your vehicle should have the same tranny as my truck, the 46RE. From what I'm told, the torque converter (and lockup) is controlled by a sensor and solenoid in the valve body. My issues seem fairly similar to yours and I'm going to replace my TPS ($30 at Autozone), tonight, and I just tossed a bottle of Lucas Conditioner in the ATF. If neither of those improve my Torque Converter performance, it may be time to replace the valve body. I'm told the sensors/solenoids (gov.and tcc) are $100 each so, I'm being quoted $350-375 for the entire valve body, which includes those parts and the labor is basically the same. Good luck. Please post any results and I will do the same. Tim
    Tim, I will keep you posted.I just replaced the Output Speed Sensor on the trans $17.00 Next step would be the TPS or Governor pressure sensor. GPS Dealer part at $118.00 or Internet at $56.00.I wont know if any of these parts fixes my problem until I get it back on I - 70 so this is going to be a long slow process.
  • liny3liny3 Member Posts: 7
    i was using the 4 wheel drive i n my 03 qc 4.7 when i was stuck in a deep pile of plowed snow i needed to use 4x4 low after getting out i shifted the tranny to drive before putting transfer case back into 2 hi heard a wierd noise and shifted it correctly everything is good now 4x4 still works fine but since then the indicator light comes on when in 2 wheel or neutral and goes off when in 4low or 4hi what would make this work opposite???
  • vangunzvangunz Member Posts: 1
    I have 06 3500 w/diesel, getting a vibration at a steady speed [50-70] and it increases when going uphill or when I accelerate slowly
    It wasnt the output speed sensor. Time to keep at it or buy a rebuilt trans for 1900.00 Installed? Might be worth the 1900.
  • makler54makler54 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 96 Ram 4x4 318ci w/143000 miles on tranny. No repairs made to tranny, only change fluid and filter. Truch has new motor w/15000 mi. Motor revs about 500 rpm around 50mph to 65mph. This also happened with old motor. Motor runs steady if OD is turned off. No local mechanics have answer but willing to tear apart. I prefer answer first.

Thanks for your help.
  • iceman1966iceman1966 Member Posts: 1
    Can you replace a 1996 tanny with a 1999 tranny?
  • tmax141tmax141 Member Posts: 1
    Have inherited a 97 ram 1500 4x4 with a 360 / automatic trans from stepson. 130,000 miles. It had multiple problems. Main shifting problem is shifts hard into reverse and you have to let off the accelerator to shift from 2-3. All other shifts are fine. It had a plugged catalytic/muffler so now the exhaust has been replaced. Transmission has been flushed recently. I had the same 2-3 shifting problem in my 95 Dakota and it went for 50,000 miles before she quit and had to get a new transmission. I am hoping to fix something (hopefully much cheaper) now and save the transmission replacement later.
  • butch58butch58 Member Posts: 1
    once the truck rolled over 100.000 the transmission was slow to respond, at cold temperature, when stopping vehicle the engine would stall. now this morning with temperature in the teens the truck would not move until it was completely warmed up I have replaced the sensors on the throttle body. my only other thought would be the torque converter clutch solinoid. I just hope the transmission is not failing because once warmed up it performs very strong.any insight would be helpful since I do see other vehichles on this site with similiar problems
  • rgroombridgergroombridge Member Posts: 1
    My tranny has similar issue but will not go move foreward after leaving the truck sit for about two weeks. Once i shift it back and forth from forward to reverser a few times, it begins to move and after a while it shift normal. Have you had any replies on yours that might tell me what is wrong with mine.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    if they're the same model (example, both are 46RE), shouldn't be a problem.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • jswain2jswain2 Member Posts: 16
    I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500. It has the 5.9 liter engine, 4 X 4, auto. I'm assuming it has a 46re trans. It has 134,000 miles, trans serviced every 30 to 40k. I recently serviced it with ATF+4. Changed filter also. Saw no metal particles other than the usual fine sludge attached to magnet in pan. Recently it has been doing some oddball stuff. It seems to rev higher shifting from 2nd to 3rd. It has also missed 3rd and just acted as if it was in nuetral. I moved shift lever to nuetral and back to drive, and it was fine. I kept driving, and overdrive went out. The overdrive off light displayed on the dash, and no amount of pressing overdrive button would make it come back on. No other dash lights came on, and when I took it to a transmission shop, they said no codes were present. After sitting a couple of hours, it drove fine for 30 miles, then continued with the not wanting to shift out of 2nd bit. It then stuck in overdrive, I moved the gear shift to N and back to D, and it worked fine. I took it to another shop, 20 miles away, and it drove fine. No codes again. Have driven it 40 miles since and no problems. Trans shop said I would have to have a code to determine the problem. Trouble is, I don't want to screw the trans up internally driving it around waiting for it to get stuck in OD or whatever it's gonna have to do to set a code that can be read. Any ideas? It is currently driving fine, however, I do believe it is holding 2nd a little longer than normal. Trans guy said it shifted fine, but I've had it since new and I can sense it holding 2nd a tad longer than normal. Anyone else had anything like this to happen?
    well, i guess i jinxed it, my tranny is acting up. go figure

:confuse:
  • waynek5waynek5 Member Posts: 5
    The tranny in my truck seems to kick in and out of overdrive at about 35-40 mph. When its not in overdrive it is fine. Any ideas what the problem is ?

Wayne K
  • topengineertopengineer Member Posts: 1
    Overdrive kicks in at different speeds all around 35 to 45 mph,if you are at the range as you drive speed changes may cause the trans to shift,in the manual it recomends not to use o/d under 45 mph,which everyone uses it almost all the time,as I do as well.I hope this helps.
  • jswain2jswain2 Member Posts: 16
    I think you may need a throttle position sensor replaced. I've heard similar complaints fixed by replacing tps. Not for sure, but I think I'd try that first. I actually have a spare one off a junk 98 ram 318 auto. Have no idea if it works...but let me know if u want it. Damn, I'm a nice guy.
  • papacaspapacas Member Posts: 1
    greetings - i have a 97 dodge 3500 with a cummins and i was wondering can i swap the current 5 speed for a 6 speed and if so, what are the challenges i face -thank you
    You are a nice guy. Wheres mine for a 98 5.9 ?