Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Yukon / Yukon Denali

Comments

• beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Not sure of the color code, but that gray is nowhere near Silver Birch. The silver is a MUCH lighter color, very faint even for silver. The gray isn't dark, but it's pretty much a medium gray--nothing like Silver Birch.

Compare these two:
    This is a Silver Birch '05:
    http://www.driveultimate.com/new_photos/5893_1.jpg

And this is the Steel Gray '05:
    http://www.driveultimate.com/new_photos/5918_1.jpg
  • stevensorianostevensoriano Member Posts: 40
    Why, oh why, wont GM sell me a Duramax DXL??
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Make that 2 of us. I'd have one already if they made it.

-mike
  • avolvofanavolvofan Member Posts: 358
    I think there would be a lot more than just two people that would buy a Duramax-equipped Denali (either the standard or the extended model). Unfortunately, I can't even speculate as to why GM doesn't want to make a Duramax/Allison even an option for the Denali.
  • liquidlabliquidlab Member Posts: 23
    My understanding is that the only transmission that can handle the torque of the Duramax will not fit without a major change to the transmission tunnel/floor panel of the Suburban/Yukon.

The biggest market for a duramax will not be in the denali but in the 3/4 ton suburban/yukon xl.
    Whatever you want to call it liquid...

Yukon, Denali, Suburban, etc....

I need an SUV with Diesel, period. Right now my only choice is the Excursion and I won't buy a ford.... :(

-mike
  • stevensorianostevensoriano Member Posts: 40
    I have been whining about a DXL-D for 3 years and the answer about the tranny not fitting hasn't changed.

I've heard rum ours from everyone, including dealers about a six cyl Dura-mini, but like women in bars, they were just teases and come-ons, with no follow-through or satisfaction.

I tow kids and I tow a trailer. A duramax dXL is what I need. I am not Anti-Ford, so I will try the Excursion before I buy.
  • liquidlabliquidlab Member Posts: 23
    Paisan,

you're missing the point:

The Denali (as the Escalade)is built on the 1/2 ton chassis/frame, meaning "light duty" with coil springs on the back,etc.

The reason peoples buy the Denali/Escalade is for the extra luxury and smooth ride.

A diesel,due to it's extra weight and of the required stronger components for the drive train, tranny, full floater rear axle, 8 lug nuts wheels, bigger brakes,etc would have to be built on the 3/4 ton chassis frame with leaf springs and with the added weight and different suspension,you will certainly not have the somooth ride that make peoples buy the denali/Escalade in the first place.
    Liquid, the point is that we want the diesel good gas milage etc in ANY SUV body. That's my point. I'd buy the 2500HD with the Dmax however I need more than 5 passenger spots....

-mike
  • garydenaligarydenali Member Posts: 1
    My 2001 GMC Yukon Denali XL vibrates like crazy whenever I drive over rough pavement. The steering wheel vibrates, the dash board vibrates, the chairs vibrate and the windows vibrate.

I've taken it in to several shops and the mechanics tell me nothing is wrong. Has this happpened to anyone else?

garrett.j.debuiser@aexp.com
    tire pressures? Shocks?

-mike
  • gopx101gopx101 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone else experienced a horribly rough ride in the 04 DXL? The autoride system on my dxl seems to be set incorrectly as I feel every single bump in the road as if they were potholes. It feels almost as if there are no shocks or that the air shocks are fully inflated with no room to give.

I've taken it to the dealer, they acted like I was crazy and let some air out of my tires which didn't help. At this point I'm preparing to trade in the dxl for something with a smoother ride if this is as good as it gets.

I previously owned an 01 Suburban which rode like a dream compared to this. Any insight will be very appreciated.

--JB
  • dwgutwirdwgutwir Member Posts: 132
    Anyone have information on the incentives after the current offers expire on 9/30?

My wife and I are looking at YXLs and DXLs.

The incentives are great on the '04s right now, but most dealers only have black or white DXLs(the only colors we DON'T want) and most of the YXLs are SLT 1SCs or SLEs. I wonder if we wouldn't be better waiting till Oct 1st and working a deal on an '05.

One of the reasons I'm leaning towards the DXL is autoride. We plan to tow with the truck...is it worth the extra $ to step up to the DXL, or do I save the cash and get the standard XL?
    Biggest thing I like about the DXL over YXL is the AWD system, it's way way better than the auto-4wd system on the YXL.

-mike
  • tdohtdoh Member Posts: 298
    Are you referring to the Autotrac 4WD setup on the YXL or the full-time 4WD one? If the latter, than are you qualifying your comment based on personal experience--i.e., have you owned/extensively driven both? I've own(ed) and driven both a full-time YXL and an AWD DXL, and in normal day-to-day dry and wet-weather conditions I could not discern a noticeable difference between the performance of the full-time 4WD and the AWD. Now I'm not saying that AWD isn't preferable to full-time 4WD, but to say that it's "way way better"? I dunno about that...
    I have extensive experience with AWD systems and ANY system that puts some power to both axles will help you better pro-actively than a system that is purely reactionary like the auto-4wd found in the Yukon v. the full-time one in the Denali where there is power to both axles at all times. Check my profile, I know AWD pretty good :)

-mike
    What is the split range of the AWD in the Denail between front and rear?

That is how large/small of a percentage can be sent to either axle?

Is the power/torque always split 50/50 left to right, or does that vary too?
    I'm not positive on the torque split on the Denali but if my research serves right it's 50/50 and can probably vary up to 80/20 and 20/80.

Left and right is deteremined by the front or rear diffy, IIRC the Denali has an LSD in the rear which would mean that it could do 100/0 up to 0/100 split between the 2 rear tires.

-mike
  • cornellpinoycornellpinoy Member Posts: 196
    Mine is a 2002. According to the 2002 GM Service Manual, the split is 38% front and 62% rear under normal operation. Once there is wheel spin, the power can flow 100% to either axle.

Under normal operation, it is equal left to right. As paisan mentioned there is a limited slip differential that allows a left/right power split at the rear axle - at least for the '01 & '02 models.

For the '03 and '04 models Stabilitrack was made standard and since the that system controls the power split electronically, the limited split differential was omitted.
    Stabilitrack would then apply a brake to a spinning wheel front or rear and force power to the opposite wheel on any given axle. I'm not a big fan of this for off-roading, however on-road it works well, essentially giving you a F/R LSD as well as a center LSD so it will put power tow hichever wheel is most grip.

I like that 40/60 split good # to know.

-mike
    That helps alot - we won't do much off-roading except to pull into campgrounds.

Now all I have to do is convince my wife the AWD amd nicer interior are worth the slight premium over the standard SLT.
    If the owner of a Silver Birch (I think) D-XL with VA tags JLP-8887 is on the forum, I was behind you on the NJT tonigth and have questions about your video system.

What size was the screen for the rear seat passengers, and how is the view out the rear view mirror with it down?
    Can the headrest monitor display a separate source (assming players)?
    Where was the system purchased/installed?
    Cost (if you don't mind)?
    Where did you mount the DVD player?

We're close on a purchase of a similar vehicle and can't decide between the factory system and an after market installation.

IF you'd prefer to answer via email, let me know and I'll pass mine along.

THANKS!!!
  • tireguytireguy Member Posts: 200
    I haven't been on the Jersey Turnpike in a few years and I don't have Va tags, but I think I can give you some information.
    I just purchased a Yukon XL with all the options I wanted at the price I wanted, but with no DVD. The dealer installed a Delphi system which is identical to the factory Panasonic with regard to features and fitment. This unit has an 8" screen, which when deployed obscures the center third of the upper half of the rear window. The 8" unit is $900, but a 10.2" is available for $1200. I'm not sure what size the factory-installed Panasonic comes in. The 8" screen is large enough to be viewed from the third row, and any larger would probably block too much of the drivers' rear view. It plays DVDs, CDs, MP3s, has RCA and S-video jacks, includes two wireless headphone sets, and transmits its signal to the headset via FM frequency if use of the vehicles speakers is desired. Otherwise it can transmit to the headphones while the driver listens to something else.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Hey Tireguy, good to see you checking in again. Sounds like you got a killer deal on your Yukon XL. Congrats!

Steve, Host
  • tireguytireguy Member Posts: 200
    Only now I'm seeking information more than giving it out. I should probably change my handle since I haven't worked in a tire shop for over four years. Now the only time I get greasy fingernails is when I preflight my helicopter before going flying.
    I fell in love with the big GM suvs seeing all the hotshots cruising around in them in Iraq, and when I got home I couldn't believe the deals on the '04 leftovers. Turns out they're equally suited for hauling either dignitaries with their armed posse or kids and dogs.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I should probably change my handle since...

User names are forever! :-)

tidester, host
  • docmikedocmike Member Posts: 2
    Our 2002 GMC Yukon XL just suffered catastrophic transmission failure and requires total replacement. The car has 67,000 miles on it, 7,000 miles out of warranty. This is my wife's car and she has made comments about the transmission, almost since day one. The dealer has two instances of her complaining about the transmission (at 30,000 & 42,000 miles), but other things were fixed. It died yesterday and the dealer wants $3,500. We feel like we complained about it enough that it should have been looked in to. GM Corp said it was a bad part and offered us $500 of help. What should we do?
  • lobsenzalobsenza Member Posts: 619
    Given that there were 2 prior complaints, they should do more. My trans failed on my Denali XL at 17K, so it was full warranty, no questions asked. Mine wouldn't move in any gear after the failure and had to be brought in on a flatbed.
  • docmikedocmike Member Posts: 2
    Well, new update from GM...

They called back this afternoon and offered to pay for half of the repair and that the reapir would not be marked up, so we are looking at paying approx. $1,200 with a new 5yr/30K warranty on the new trans...

Would you accept this and forget about pushing for more, or small claims court?

Thanks!
  • tdohtdoh Member Posts: 298
    paisan--my previous post was referring to the fact that the AWD setup in the Denali is (was? dunno if there were some minor changes made in '04 but probably not) is not the same as that found in the AWD Yukon.

And yes, GMC offers an AWD non-Denali Yukon--at least they did for '03; the sticker in the engine bay says all-wheel drive but I was told the setup is technically more like full-time 4WD. Another way you can tell that the two are not identical--at least in function--is that the Yukon full-time 4WD offers a 4-LO gear, whereas (current) NBS Denalis don't have 4-LO.

In any case it is the distinction between the two aforementioned AWD setups I was talking about.
    That is much more reasonable. I probably would take it. You can decide later to try to get the $1200 back, if you feel it is related to the earlier problems.
    Went to GMC dealer today. These guys are total idiots. They don't even know what colors are offered on the interiors!

I guess most GMC buyers come in and buy whatever they feed them.

Anyways here is my question. Should I go for the Denali XL or Yukon XL 3/4 Ton with the 8.1L engine? I really want the Denali but the 7900lb towing is a bit low. What do you guys think?

-mike
    What are you towing?
    Car trailer for now. Boat trailer eventually. Also would like to get a double-flatbed car trailer to reduce the # of drivers we need when going to races.

-mike
    I think a Denali can safely tow about 5000 pounds on a regular basis (better to leave a safety margin). If you are regularly going to tow more than that, you should go to a 3/4 ton. In the 3/4 ton you will need to (at a minimum) get the optional axle ratio. The 3/4 ton with the 6 liter will not feel as powerful as the Denali because the transmission is geared differently.

In addition, compare the ride/handling so you know what you are giving up.

4 wheel steering is available on the 3/4 ton and should aid in handling and towing. I really wish they made it available on the 1/2 ton vehicles. That would give me an excuse to replace my 2001. Unless there are significant enhancements, I don't plan on replacing mine until 100,000 miles and I am just over half way there.
  • erinsquarederinsquared Member Posts: 178
    I vote for the DXL over the YXL 3/4, unless you are towing something almost every weekend or towing every day for a living. I cannot talk from experience using these vehicles as a daily tow vehicle, so I cannot attest to the longevity of the standard D drivetrain under this use, but I can speak for the power, ride, and handling and they are far superior on the D than the 3/4 vehicle. I have towed a 6500lb car + trailer plus Denali fully loaded down with boxes & passengers and found it to be quite capable. With both vehicles, I would adhere to an agressive fluid change interval for insurance.
    Well this will not be my daily driver, towing will be either a single or dual car-trailer (hoping for a dual car flatbed) and towing about 10k miles a year to tracks around the northeast. Other than that it will serve for trips with groups etc. I priced em out on the webpage and found the MSRP of the 8.1L 3/4Ton YXL fully optioned out to match the denali comes out to about $1500 cheaper. I guess I'll have to try out the suspensions and see if I can handle the 3/4 ton

-mike
  • nklournklour Member Posts: 1
    I found a brand new "03" Denali leftover 150 miles on the OD. It's laoded! Sticker price is $51,680 the dealer is offering it to me at $43,300. Is this a good deal? Full factory warranty.
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Uh, if it's an '03 that's still sitting around, that price isn't very good at all. Many months ago they going rate for a new '04 Denali (and just about all the full-size GM utes) became $10k or more off list, with no haggling.

So, $8k off a truck that old isn't good--most likely because any GM rebates for it have expired by now and it's up to the dealer to cut the price themselves. There's still a lot of '04s out there now still--I'd get one of those with a bigger discount before they're gone.
  • ocmike3ocmike3 Member Posts: 232
    I'd pass. He's trying to sell you it new at his invoice. Even if there were any incentives, he'll still get his holdback and then write off the depreciation because the rig is past model year carry over...
    A better deal can be had on an 04
    Yeah I didn't haggle and they are offering me $42k on an '04 Denali XL listed at $53K

-mike

PS: they have a 72mo 0% offer going too.
  • ocmike3ocmike3 Member Posts: 232
    A while back there was discussion about the new colors for2005. I ran across this photo posted at a dealer website. Its the Blue-Green crystal color. Reminds me of the teal GM offered a few year back. My Bonnie had it and it changed from a blue to green to purple tint depending on the lighting. I saw the Steel gray at one of the local dealerships and Its a great color for this truck.

I put the link below as I don't know how to link pictures direct to the postings. (i.e. not trying to promote any dealer, I live in the NW)

http://www.woodbridgepontiac.com/GMC/25057_1.html
    Saw the color at my dealer this past weekend. It does fade from Blue to Green depending on how you look at it, and how the light hits it.

Its an awesome color and my wife's first choice for the 'D' we're looking at.
  • lhousemanlhouseman Member Posts: 2
    Question re: AWD:
    I frequently use the 4 wd low gear box on my 2001 Yukon for very steep descents. Does the Denali AWD system have anything that resembles a low gear range? Thanks.
  • erinsquarederinsquared Member Posts: 178
    The Denali does not have a low gear transfer case; only a single speed transfer case. You would not be able to use the same technique with a Denali.
    Question re: AWD:
    I frequently use the 4 wd low gear box on my 2001 Yukon for very steep descents. Does the Denali AWD system have anything that resembles a low gear range? Thanks.

What kind of descent do you use 4wd Low gear in? 4wd Low would only be useable in a low-traction condition such as snow or mud. Just curious where you use it.

-mike
  • lhousemanlhouseman Member Posts: 2
    Steep descents on gravel roads, using the low gear box rather than constant braking ... is that bad for the transmission?
    Nah it's not too bad for it, i've used 4-low when offroading but don't plan on offroading a yukon xl if I get one.

-mike
  • rolliedoggrolliedogg Member Posts: 15
    I have decided to take the plunge and take delivery of a 2004 Denali XL. Only option is power sunroof. Summary of deal is MSRP 53,010. Selling price is invoice of 47272 minus 4500 rebate, minus 1500 GMAC Financing cash and 500 certificate for total of 40,774. Details on GMAC financing is must finance 10K and can pay it off as soon as the coupon book arrives ~ 1 month. I am trading a 2001 Sequoia. I feel like I have gone to the dark side as I have owned 2 Toyota LC and the Sequioa over the previous 10 years. I did not have a good experience with the Sequoia and will keep my fingers crossed with the Denali.
    What happened with the Sequoia?