Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Transmission Problems

Comments

• monypitrammonypitram Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2011
    I also have a 2006 2500 5.9/I-6 with the EXACT same transmission symptoms as post #1870 - skenney.
    Plz let me know if anyone knows the cure.
  • utah_guyutah_guy Member Posts: 1
    well the hard shift when cold should be a clogged filter. fluid and filter should only be $20-$25 and 1 hr to do, but if this goes on for to long a tranny will be $1000-$2000
  • dodge2500fandodge2500fan Member Posts: 1
    looking for some help, recently after backing out of driveway the truck moved forward but it felt like the emrgency brake was on and then released. i immediately took it to trans shop they found nothing wrong and no codes. when i picked it up the lamp light out light was lit and the rear brake light was out. before i could replace it the light came back on. this brake feeling has happened twice since usually after i back up a distance (100 ft or so). Im wondering if this is the torque converter locking up and not releasing or could this be a brake caliper hanging up??????
  • sunsetorangesssunsetorangess Member Posts: 1
    There shouldnt be any fluid in the bell housing, there might be water in there but thats about it. Plug your talking about should be a rubber plug "inspection plug" is all that is. I wouldnt drive or operate the truck until you flush the trans, and check both diffs for contamination and change if there is any question.
    J
  • gina02gina02 Member Posts: 1
    Yesterday my truck decided to accelerate and not change gears. This is an automatic 2004 dodge ram 1500 ext cab, i parked it then went to D but it only went in reverse. I got it to go forward again and still it would accelerate to about 4pm but would not change gears or go any faster than 30moh. any ideas ??
  • lambchopcalambchopca Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1994 Ram pickup 5.2 V-8, automatic . We we had radiator problems and bought a new radiator, and right after that the transmission starting shifting hard with the RPM'S going up to 3 -4.
    We changed the filter and its still shifting hard. It seems to be the 2nd shift that shifts hard. What else could be causing this ? Any suggestions ?
  • kelly62kelly62 Member Posts: 1
    What may seem to be a transmission problem sometimes turns out to be a torque converter problem. Worn needle bearings in the torque converter may produce noise when the transmission is in gear, but the noise will go away when the transmission is shifted into neutral. Needle bearings are used inside the torque converter to separate the stator from the impeller, the stator from the turbine, and the turbine from the converter housing
  • rrstrodrrstrod Member Posts: 1
    My 97 2500 4X4 is ok in 1st and 2nd but takes forever to shift into third, around 50mph. Any ideas?
  • charbourcharbour Member Posts: 1
    I have a 06' 2500 Ram with the 5.9 Cummins in it. Yesterday I was driving to work and as I left the house, it wouldn't change gears at the normal RPM's. Finally at 2900 RPM's it shifted for the first time, but I was at almost 30 MPH. Then it shifted gears at 3200 RPM's into the next gear. It feels like I am starting out in 2nd gear and it won't go past 3rd gear. My oil pressure just about maxes out each time it shifts. I checked the oil and was about 3 quarts low, so I added oil and it is still having the same issue. All help is appreciated!!! Thanks
  • kazranchkazranch Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2011
    I hope someone can help me, my tranny went out in my 04 dodge ram diesel quad cab, it only has 64,900 miles on it, I had an authorized factory warranty service ctr for mopar replace it, I contacted dodge, not knowing that my truck was still under warranty, ya I know pretty stupid, but I had someone from dodge investigate to see if chrysler would cover it, but they said no since I did not take it to an authorized chrysler service center, but my new tranny mopar/chrysler gives my shop the authorization to install it as they are an authorized factory warranty srvc. ctr.for chrysler/mopar and I have a 3yr 100,000 mi warranty, this doesnt make sense. I tried talking to mopar but they wouldnt talk to me and chrysler complaint section im getting no where, can you help me, thanks Stacey, Im not good at mechanical stuff as Im a girl,
  • ramphilramphil Member Posts: 2
    I would like to thank you for the advice I pulled my d[ground out of the harness today and put it in a hydrolysis hose with stainless beaded to shield the ground and it worked perfect i have never felt my trany
    shift so smooth
    Thanks again
    Phil
  • ramphilramphil Member Posts: 2
    Thanks it worked like a charm,I ran mine through steel breaded hydrolic hose
    Phil
  • orinigenorinigen Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact problem discussed in this thread. I'm a little confused on the remedy: I have two wires coming out of the neutral battery post--one grounded to the front quarter panel adjacent the battery, the other grounded to the frame below. Where is the ground wire coming off the battery connected to the alternator harness? Their is a sensor wire at the air filter that joins another wire that is attached to the alternator; and then there is the hot off the battery connected to the alternator. Prior to this shifting problem, my tach was only periodically registering rpm's, so it seems to me it may be electrical. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
  • randy6869randy6869 Member Posts: 1
    Did you get this figured out ? Im having the same problem ....
  • blades199blades199 Member Posts: 1
    So I was looking through the transmission shifting problems and saw the one about electrical for shifting.

About 2 weeks ago replaced both batteries all was fine. Then a day or 2 later I cleaned up around the posts with degreaser and coated terminals with anti-corrison treatment. The next morning after I did the clean up and treating the transmission wont shift correctly into 2nd. If I slowly accelerate all is good. If I accel to fast it wont shift until I back off the throttle and RPMs drop. Then it shifts. It goes up the gears just fine and stays in OD.

Ideas before I take to Dodge dealer?

Thx
  • adampdadampd Member Posts: 2
    im having the same issues right now took it to the dealership and they are trying to blame it on my after market programer and that my trany needs to be serviced and the band need ajusted but that not the problem did you by chance figure out what the problem was
  • adampdadampd Member Posts: 2
    im having the same issues right now took it to the dealership and they are trying to blame it on my after market programer and that my trany needs to be serviced and the band need adjusted but that not the problem did you by chance figure out what the problem was
  • 96dodgeowner96dodgeowner Member Posts: 1
    just wondered if you ever figured out what the problem was with the tranny problem in your truck? I have a 1996 1500 4x4 that is doing the exact same thing, but really cant afford to take it to a garage if i dont have to.
  • tbascianitbasciani Member Posts: 4
    Knock-on-wood, it just started acting normal one day and has been good ever since. I either got lucky or the problem is just waiting to sneek up on me again this winter. It didn't seem to be weather related however.
  • tslice18tslice18 Member Posts: 2
    I have a business towing cars with a two car trailer and I just opened it recently. So I was driving through California and I hit some serious uphills! I had about 20k lbs total on the trailer but the truck barely made it up the hill at like 25mph. Then it started making a really loud noise from the engine or like a loud whine and the truck just wouldn't pick up speed even when the road evened out. It was just terribly sluggish. I parked for the night and it seemed fine in the morning but as soon as I hit more uphills, the same thing happened. what could be my problem and what could I do to fix it? is this normal for it to go so slow uphills? Please Help!
  • bry181bry181 Member Posts: 1
    is there any after market tranmissions out there that will be more reliable...... i have a 2001 ram 1500 5.9 2wd..... the trans is about done with 164,000 miles .... which i think i have seen my trans last longer than most.... just wondering if there is a more heavy duty out there....
  • dblinndblinn Member Posts: 1
    My 01 1500 4x4 is shifting hard, it doesnt do it every shift. its not slipping so were good there, but not sure if the transmission is just going or maybe needs a sensor or something. My last 318 was a stick so not much answers here.

HELP PLEASE going on a long drive next week want to try and correct the problem. also my speedometer isnt reading the right speed any connection?

thanx
  • remsingremsing Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2001 dodge ram 1500 with 99,xxx miles on it. its all the original parts on the truck. it has a 5.9l automatic with 4x4. im only 19 years old soo i dont know much about this and everytime i talk to a transmission mechanic around here they tell me to have them rebuild it for $2000 the transmission will only go in park and reverse.. all other gears act as tho its in nutruel. any suggestions on what i can do to fix the problem soo i dont have to rebuild it?? thanks... jonathan
  • allmagnumallmagnum Member Posts: 2
    two days ago i put my car into park, then it wouldn't shift back into any gear. it was very easy to fix my self. bought the part from the dealer and installed it myself. all is good again.
    any question?
  • faithkilfaithkil Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi. Reverse, 1st and 2nd work fine, but when it shifts into 3rd gear, the rpms raise rapidly because it does not engage into 3rd gear. I had to limp home in 2nd gear. No fun. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
  • vidicvidic Member Posts: 2
    my 1998 5.9 2500 4x4 has tranny problem. It happened while i was towing my camper while driving my o/d off light popped on the dash and would not shift off so needless to say the trans temp light came on too it would not shift so when i could find a safe spot to pull off the highway i did and when i crawled under there was tranny fluid coming from between the engine and the bellhousing and it smelled of burnt fluid let the truck sit for 20 mins then started the truck and the lights were off drove it about 1/4 mile then the same thing happened tried a couple times more then had to get it and my camper towed 50 miles home now just driving around town it just smells like burnt fluid and it shifts funny anybody got any ideas and does anybody know to find what tranny i have in my truck mabye i can get one at junkyard and have it rebuilt then out it in my self
  • destinyenmandestinyenman Member Posts: 1
    when I start to drive it sometimes it wont shift out of 1st gear. and sometimes after a while it will shift and then run fine. the fluid looks good just bought the truck and it says the transmission was serviced in 2010.I disconnected the battery and hook it back up and it didn't help.Please if anyone has any suggestions let me know thanks.
  • hemiman3500hemiman3500 Member Posts: 1
    My 1998 dodge ram 2500 is doing the same thing and i was told to have a tranny shop look at it but that costs money i dont have another person said it was a sensor. any ideas on it it seems like i am not the only one here with this issue
  • thatazguythatazguy Member Posts: 9
    After going through an entirely too long of a list we found 2 main things with my transmission.
    1 - someone had put a slightly shallower pan on the transmission and when we changed from the 1997 tranny filter to a mid 70s (fit the same but thinner) that MAJORLY helped my shifting issues. The other basic issue with many vehicles is the connections. My mechanic sprayed PB blaster in the back of the connections at the harnesses and then dielectric gelled the connections themselves. It helped settle the computer down. Good luck
  • ct35ct35 Member Posts: 2
    did you ever find out what was wrong with your truck mine is doing the same thing?
  • ct35ct35 Member Posts: 2
    wondering if anybody could help me with my truck problem? to start it you have to hold the gas all the way down an when it starts the rpm's raise rapidly an when you drive it it don't know when to shift scared to drive it cause i don't want to tear up the transmission, but while its setting its got a buzzing coming from the transmission. someone please help don't want to out money into it an it not be whats causing it.
  • sbellsrsbellsr Member Posts: 4
    Apparently everyone that I have contacted, even Click and Clack the NPR radio show, says that it is without a doubt a tcm problem. In my case the tcm is built into the ecm. Since my problem was unusual I submitted the problem to them. They actually allowed me to tell my problem on the air. Both brothers agreed, tcm failure. I don't have the same issues since I cleaned the ground that is attached to the ecm.
  • dodgeduallydodgedually Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Dodge Ram 3500 with auto trans. While driving on hwy at 55 sometimes it starts shifting down out of overdrive and sometimes even acting like it is shifting down to second gear and then back. Starting off from a dead stop seems like it will never shift from 1 - 2. I have recently replaced the speed censor on the back of the trans. and that seemed to fix it for about a day and then it starts screwing up. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. I replaced the accelerator position censor a few months ago. I need help.
  • stevo46stevo46 Member Posts: 1
    I have 2006 ram 2500 with a cummins and 6 speed manual transmission. A week ago while idling in neutral the transmission started making a low whine sound. I thought it was the throwout bearing. Took it to the dealer. They ended up dropping the tranny and splitting the housing and they found a bad bearing on the front of the counter shaft.The dealer said they just couldnt pull the bearing and replace it and that I needed to replace the entire shaft and gears at a cost of $1900. for the part. All the needs to be done is knock the outer race of the housing and get the bearing # and order it from Kaman. I think the mechanic would have easily agreed to this but it obviously is not in the dealers best interest. My questions are how or where can I find the bearing #? What do I need to do to get the dealer to do what I want them to do? The bearing is failing from not getting lubricated while the truck is idling in neutral as the gears are not splashing enough oil to keep it lubracated.
  • cumminsguy76cumminsguy76 Member Posts: 1
    Yes, we call that not enough power!! or your turbo is lagging to keep up with the weight and the grade. Get some upgrades on the truck, like a straight pipe exhaust, a cold air intake, etc little stuff to help. then a tuner then a shift kit.
  • ihctimihctim Member Posts: 1
    I own a 96 dodge ram 1500 4x4 w/ 5.9, auto/o.d. One day it started disengaging from gear while driving on the highway. Gradually it started doing it at slower speeds too, in any gear. It seems to only do it after its warmed up. I've replaced filter, some fluid but it didn't look bad to start. I pulled a line from the radiator and it seemed to have plenty of pressure. Someone has also put a trans. cooler nearly the size of the radiator! in it. It never slips; when working it works fine. When it lets go, its instant w/ no slip. It will re-engage after a number of seconds and me feathering the gas. Please can this be electrical and not need the trans. rebuilt or removed? Truck has 155,000. Please help!
  • 99dodge250099dodge2500 Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2011
    I was having the same problem with my 99 2500. I ran a ground wire from the ECM to the battery ground and it solved the problem. I didn't have that problem anymore. Here is what I did - - First thing you will need to do is remove the factory air box to get access to the PCM and disconnect the batteries as a precaution b/c you are playing around the PCM, you will notice their are (3) seperate connections going into the PCM w/ multiple wires in each one. The one you will need to work with is located furtherst right (3rd one over, closest to the drivers side) , you will find (2) wires which are both ground wires, they are black w/ tan tracers and are located right next to each other . Once located, use a "scotch-lok" type connector to attach to one (or both if you choose) to the wire that will run to the battery (i used a 14 awg wire, i do not think that is critical), they are small wires and you do not have a ton of room so be careful not to rip the wire from the factory plug, i pulled the plug from the PCM to make it easier . Run the wire over to the passenger side battery and make a good connection to the Negative battery post (clean ALL terminals of all batteries at the same time), you are done!
  • 99dodge250099dodge2500 Member Posts: 2
    I was traveling on HWY 68 in MD and my transmission quit. I brought it to a local shop where he said it overheated and needed to be replaced. I had him rebuild it with all heavy duty parts and replace the torque converter with one rated for 5500 ft lbs. I picked it up and drove about 5 miles up Savage Mountain and the transmission hit 795 degrees in less than 2 minutes and quit again. The transmission shop said the truck couldn't handle pulling my 30' camper and that caused it to over heat and wants me to pay again to have another transmission put in. This doesn't make sense to overheat in 5 minutes of climbing a hill. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions.
  • kevin69396kevin69396 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 95 dodge 1500 with the 46re auto trans and I have to manually shift it or it starts out in 2nd gear and it will not go into overdrive and the torqe converter wont lock up. The overdrive and trans temp lights are always on. If I manually shift it it will shift fine until it gets into 3rd what could this be? Any answers appreciated.
  • kevin69396kevin69396 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 95 dodge 1500 with the 46re auto trans and I have to manually shift it or it starts out in 2nd gear and it will not go into overdrive and the torque converter wont lock up. The overdrive and trans temp lights are always on. If I manually shift it it will shift fine until it gets into 3rd what could this be? Any answers appreciated.
  • circuitrydercircuitryder Member Posts: 30
    Sounds like fluid is not circulating thru the cooler. Could be a plugged check valve. If it is, then you probably also have a torque converter going and clogged solenoids. You could try a flush and cleaning the buildup on the governor solenoid... new fluid and filter.
  • biff61biff61 Member Posts: 3
    I own a 2001 Dodge Ram 4x4 approx 150k miles, towing package with ext cooler. I recently replaced solenoids, gov pressure sens, filter & advance auto brand atf+4. After I did this the trans temp light started coming on after about 10 miles or so. I removed the check ball replaced with hose, checked pump flow (about a quart in 20 sec), opened up line from cooler fine, shifts great including OD. Is not tripping any codes and does not have any noticeable slipping. Never had temp problems before, even with shifting issues. I cant believe this is a major issue as the truck runs and shifts perfectly just keep getting OD off and temp light on. You guys are the sh** when it comes to trannys please give me some advice. I really miss driving my truck. PS fluid does not smell burnt and I dont drive far after light comes on. Wondering if I messed something up when working on it ie: removed valve body, re assembly. Not a trans guy but a pretty good mech.
  • ranallogranallog Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 Dodge 4 X 4 Mega Cab 1500. It seems to go into 4 wheel high or low without me turning the dial? Any thoughts?
  • mstoibermstoiber Member Posts: 1
    i have this same problem, did you ever figure this out?
  • ranallogranallog Member Posts: 2
    Not really. However I did change the transmission fluids and filters and it seemed to get better. There has to be some kind of switch that is going bad. If I am on the highway going about 60 or so, on my dash the LO Gear flashes but never engages. If I slow down a bit to under 50 I then switch it to 4 wheel High wait for it to engage then switch it out. After parking my car I can here some kind of sliding switch activating several times. I then got in the truck and activated the switch just sitting in the driveway and it turns out that is the noise I was hearing. I need to have someone else around this weekend so I can crawl under to see where the noise is actually coming from to figure out the part. Let me know if you figure anything out. Thanks!
  • cbengstoncbengston Member Posts: 2
    Alright so I have a 96 dodge 5speed, the overdive went out. I was underneath it today and found two wires that were plugged in to the top of the transmission just hanging. Anybody know what these are?
  • cbengstoncbengston Member Posts: 2
    I have a 96 dodge 4x4 5speed. Overdrive went out, I was underneath it today and found two wires that were plugged into the top of the transmission. Can anybody tell me what these are?
  • chrisg10chrisg10 Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2012
    I have a 95 Ram 2500 5.9L w/ an auto trans that I use as a plow/yard truck. I took it out today and drove it around for 4 or 5 minutes then parked it. 5 minutes later I got back in and tried to shift it into gear, but while the shifter moves the tranny won't engage and the engine just revs. What is my best course to fix this? I have checked the fluid and it doesn't seem low... but maybe high... I just got this POS this year and just seems to be one headache after another. Is there a quick easy fix or should I tow it to the scrap yard????
  • chrisg10chrisg10 Member Posts: 2
    You can disregard my previous post. I have found the problem. With some help from a friend I realized the linkage became disconnected... Working for now... one more project added to my list.... thanks
  • rolly73rolly73 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Dodge Ram 2500 V10 and after it sets for a couple days I have to put it in nuetral and wait a few seconds before it will engage;; If I put it in forward or reverse it also takes a little bit before it will go; After that it works fine all the time. Where is the relief valve or drainback valve located on this truck??> Have had some say in transmission and others say in the lines; Thanks