Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Transmission Problems

Comments

• 13evan13evan Member Posts: 1
    DustyK:
    I hope you are still active on these forums.
    I wanted run something by you and hopefully get a confirmation.
    I have a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2 liter V8. 220K miles. Been having some transmission problems. OD OFF indicator popping on, trans temp warning light coming on.
    Confirmed its not a sensor as the warning lights go dark when the vehicle is cooled.
    Obviously something has gone bad internally. I know the transmission has had stop leak and liquid tune ups added at some point. Given that info is it even worth trying to flush and blow out the lines in hopes I can get some more life out of it?
  • vidicvidic Member Posts: 2
    that means your tranny is pretty much toast i had the same problem just got a rebuilt tranny it also popped a code saying pressure in tranny is over 3lbs what ever that means
  • adrianguerraadrianguerra Member Posts: 1
    hello i am new to edmunds but i need some help
    i have a 99 dodge ram 1500 with the 5.2
    the transmission does not want to engage into gear, i move the lever from park to 1 to drive and nothing, the engine starts fine and revs.... idk if this is part of it, but the mileage also will not show on the dash...
    please someone help
  • chris316chris316 Member Posts: 1
    Ive had this 97dodge for about 3years now. Recently the overdrive starting kicking in and out and the light on the switch keeps flashing on and off. It's been in the shop and they replaced the throttle position censor and I replaced the tranny lines along with the fluid and filter about a month ago. I did use the atf 4 in it. The tranny has a little over 40000 on it now. I pulled the overdrive switch cleaned the grounds and checked the wiring for corrosion and still have the problem. Does anyone have any ideas what else it could be.
  • thumper2010thumper2010 Member Posts: 5
    Perhaps you might find someone who could test your computer......Most likely reason for the issues you are having is due to overheating......Tranny not hot enough to set tranny temp lite but drops OD to ease load thus heat build-up.......This all might not be a solution but is something I am personally considering because I have the same problem with intermitant "TCC Malfunction" code. Good luck!!!!
  • farmer27farmer27 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 dodge ram 1500 the tranmission shifts up just fine but when it trys to shift from od down to the next gear its like it dosn't grab it and it sounds like it is grinding and runs higher rpm but if i step on the throttle it will grab the next gear lower just fine would anyone have an anser for this problom
  • rbeairdrbeaird Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Dodge 1500 , 5.7engine has 208,000 miles . I bouthe the truck this way and replaced the transmission with one that only had 75,000 miles and computer was reset and was told it shifted perfect on test drive and when I drove it now it is shifting the same was. Starts off in only 2nt gear and has to shift manually to drive . For not have to shift only in manual will not go to over drive or down shift . Does anyone have a sugestion?
  • bacardi4mebacardi4me Member Posts: 2
  • bacardi4mebacardi4me Member Posts: 2
    help! I have a 2007 Ram 1500 Hemi with 108K that drove perfectly fine earlier today I have had no recent trans problems at all nothing!!.
    Today I was driving home and suddenly nothing it was like truck was in nuetral... I move the shifter but it will not it will go in reverse or any forward gears! The transmission has been working normally up to this point then suddenly this happened with no previous signs that something was going wrong, fluid level is normal, no leaks. Any help is greatly appreciated. Any suggestions, ideas?
    Is the trans just done suddenly or could there be sensors or anything like that casuing this? Not sure what to start looking at?
  • jombo19jombo19 Member Posts: 2
    I have been told by a dodge mechaince for there transmissions that most people dont know that putting the vehicle in to neutral for 10 to 15 seconds can help save this transmissions. The regulators in them need to pick up and run the fluid threw them because after setting for a while they become dry. This can cause it not to take gear as soon as you put it in to gear and hard shifting right off the bat. So really its best to drop them down in to neutral before just taking off, it can really save some gears in your transmission to make sure its all good and lubed up before running on.
  • jombo19jombo19 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 99 dodge ram sport 1500, 318 v8. I changed the fluid and filter in it and added some lucas. I was able to drive it after doing this but if I go to get on it a little it will start to rev out. Have a few things that I've been told it could be because of what it was doing before the fluid was changed. It would make a loud grinding clanking noise when in reverse, and after a few minutes wouldn't even take gear after it warmed up, unless you pushed it. After changing the fluid I can drive it now but can't get on it without it wanting to rev out and have to let off of it for it to catch gear again. Also have to let off of it to let it shift in to higher gear. Have been told the torque convertor, seloniods, and other things to much to try and figure out should I just rebuild it or get a new one or is there possibly a solution to fix it.
  • beckurtbeckurt Member Posts: 3
    We bought a 1999 Ram 1500 Auto 4x4, we were told that reverse was out. As we were looking for a tranny, we drove it and reverse mysteriously started working no slipping or anything. After 2 days of working it quit as fast as it started. Has anyone ever had this happen, or have any ideas? Should we replace tranny?
  • circuitrydercircuitryder Member Posts: 30
    Possibly a broken snap ring in the overdrive unit. That will disable reverse. Don't understand the intermittent failure, tho. If it is the snap ring, the ring can be replaced as long as the internals of the overdrive have not been damaged. I'm planning to replace my overdrive unit because I lost my overdrive, too. Does the transmission work normally in all other gears?
  • sstrausbaughsstrausbaugh Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2012
    I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L. My transmission slams into fourth gear when I speed up slowly, and I replaced the speed sensors and did a transmission flush. The computer tells me that the 4th gear ration is incorrect.

Is the there anything else I can do?
    Yes it works just fine in all other gears, No slipping or anything, Even when Reverse is working there is no slipping in reverse. Just wont work sometimes
    Im curious was it all that wouldnt engage or just 1? I askbecause I have a 99 that is doing the same but only in Reverse
  • hemi4mehemi4me Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2005 Dodge 1500 with 5.7L and it had this problem. Driving just fine, then snap..nothing, engine revving and coasted to a stop. Dodge dealership said it was the torque converter and that it blew. Lucky for me the truck is under warranty and didn't pay out of pocket for repairs.
  • guythunderguythunder Member Posts: 19
    I have a 1996 Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel with a auto tranny. My problem is that after my truck has set for more than a day it doesn't want to move, It takes awhile with the motor running and the tranny in neutral before it will engage, And then after I take off it doesn't shift right for the first few miles, But after it has ran for a few miles all is good, Works just like it is supposed to. Until I let it set again for a few days. Any ideas as to what my problem is.?
  • oscarcoscarc Member Posts: 5
    When's the last time you changed your trans filter and oil? sounds to me like it's not building pressure fast enough. You might want to change the governor pressure sensor and gov. press. solenoid. that might help.
    I just had the Transmission flushed and new filter and oil, It was doing this when I took it in. So you think that those sensors would help.? is this something I can do myself.? I do alot of my own work.
    Yes, I believe so, just drop the pan, remove the filter and there should be 2 sensors right there. I think it cost me under $100 for the parts when I did it. You can always google the removal, lots of pictures of the sensors and stuff. Mine was slipping and had a hard time going into 3rd or OD but that seemed to correct a lot of the issues.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    You may also want to set the parking brake before you shift to Park. My 1996 Ram 3500 diesel was cranky like that as well. When the truck has the opportunity to "rock" after it's shifted to Park, you can cause extra wear on the unit.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host
  • marty740marty740 Member Posts: 1
    did u find the problem because mine just did same thing
    I set the parking break, Then start the truck, Then put it in neutral and warm it up, Then after about five minutes the truck will move. I was told that it could be the low line pressure solenoid, I was told this from a Transmission shop.
    I set the parking break, Then start the truck, Then put it in neutral and warm it up, Then after about five minutes the truck will move. I was told that it could be the low line pressure solenoid, I was told this from a Transmission shop.
  • pawpaw454pawpaw454 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 pu the tranny is slipping in the forward gears till yo get to 35 to 40 mph the. It shifts just fine till you put it in park then it all starts over again any help would. E great
    You might want to check out You Tube they have some videos about our transmision, And how to fix some of the problems, Some you can do yourself wich I thought was great. Just type in your year truck and trasmision repair. And see where it tale you.
    Check out this site......www.youtube.com/user/CascadeTransParts
  • ron227ron227 Member Posts: 1
    My 01 Dodge diesel overdrive started jumping in and out of overdrive between 45 and 50 mph or so last year. I changed fluid and filter and it didn't help. Now when I come to a stop it slips
    requiring more throttle, after a few seconds and a gain in speed it will hook up and be fine.
    This happens somewhat intermittently, one day it seems fine the next two days it will slip.
    Your advice will be appreciated.
    You know I found a lot of info on our transmission's on You Tube, Just type in your truck and transmission and check out the video' s. You might need to go threw a few before you find what you are looking for. And these are the people that put out some of the videos, And they will answer your questions........www.CascadeTransmissionParts.com
    You said that I could Coogle to find out how to remove two sensors in my trasmission. Could;d you tell me what to ask Google.?
    You said that I could Coogle to find out how to remove two sensors in my trasmission. Could you tell me what to ask Google.?
    I think you have the 47RE transmission. It's real simple (if you don't mind getting messy).

If Edmunds lets me post links then here is a step by step on a 47RE

h-t-t-p://w-w-w.cumminsforum.com/forum/98-5-02-repairs-replacements/381985-47re-- governor-solenoid-sensor-swap-pics.h-t-m-l

**** Notice the - - - on http, www, and html? Remove those when you paste on your browser... that should take you directly to it....

If not then google "47RE Governor Pressure Solenoid" , you can click on images and you should see all kinds...

Please note that I am assuming that you have the 47RE transmission.

Good Luck :)
  • bohunter768bohunter768 Member Posts: 1
    I had an automatic w/overdrive that burnt up / continually slipped and would not move the truck. I finally located another "USED" tranny that seems to be doing the same thing, but was operating without any problems in the other truck. When the engine and transmission are cool, the transmission is very stong and shifts without hesitation. As they warm up to operating temp, the problems start.

Once warm, and the tranny in gear, the engine will not get over 2500 to 3000 rpm's if I try to give it more gas. I have to get the rpm's up to 2500 to 3000 and then let off for the tranny to [non-permissible content removed] into 2nd. Once in 2nd I have to feather the gas pedal to keep the tranny from dropping back into 1st. I haven't been able to get the tranny to shift into 3rd. The only way that the engine will Rev / Tach Up when they are warm, is to have it in PARK or Neutral.

I have been reading others talking about the posibilities of bad Throttle Positioners, Torque Converter, other sensors and the Check Valve at the Cooler.

Any ideas or sugestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Oscarc, thanks for the info On the pressure Solenoid for the 47R Transmission, I have been told by others that this might be my problem. So one more question for you, Is this something that I can install myself I do most of my own work on my truck but have never tried the transmission. Or is there a site that shows how to install it.? I know I am a little late with this reply so forgive me. Thanks. :cry:
  • terry122terry122 Member Posts: 2
    My tranny was doing good the I stop it wouldn't move till I put it in low gear and shift I it manualy then it started shifting it self in drive but no reverse or overdrive then about2 weeks later it wouold not shift out of second then won't move at all now I tore it down there was a spring and piston was in it was broke replaced it and the filter and fluid still won't move
  • terry122terry122 Member Posts: 2
    It was doing good I was on interstate stop and it woulndt move then it would in low then I could manualy shift up then it would shift on its own but no overdrive or reverse then bout 2 wweeks won't go in any gear I took it a part found a spring broke off in a piston I replaced it and fiter and fluid still won't go in gear :confuse:
    I think you have the 47RE transmission. It's real simple (if you don't mind getting messy).

w-w-w.cumminsforum.com/forum/98-5-02-repairs-replacements/381985-47re-- governor-solenoid-sensor-swap-pics.html

*** Remove the dashes ---- between www and that should take you directly to the page that has a step by step with pictures of everything

If not then google "47RE Governor Pressure Solenoid" , you can click on images and you should see all kinds...
    Thanks for the info. I also found a video on You Tube showing how to replace it. Now all I have got to do is a oil change, Then I will work on this problem. :)
  • dieselman59dieselman59 Member Posts: 1
    I was told by dealer that it was caused from bad tps sensor 500 dollars later no fix and i found on other forums how to fix the problem and it works 2 years so far I have a 98 5.9 td. here is the fix wire loom in front of engine has to be seperated from alternator wires by running new wire to fuse box worked perfect and no more prob.
  • tripatiftripatif Member Posts: 1
    Can you be a little more specific about that fix ?
    Thanks
  • winter2winter2 Member Posts: 1,801
    For those of you who own Dodge trucks with a four speed automatic, and as a former 1993 Dodge Dakota owner, I would like to share what I have learned.

The four speed unit is loosely based on the 727 three speed unit that was pretty stout and lived with the 426 hemi, the 383, the 426 wedge, and the 440. Chrysler in their infinite wisdom spliced on an overdrive unit to the back of the transmission. That worked pretty well provided you did not tow or work the unit to hard.

Chrysler had two different variations of each transmission, a junior version and a senior version. The junior version ended up in Dakotas and the 150/1500 while the senior version was placed in the larger trucks including those with the diesel. They were, as I mentioned earlier, adequate provided you treated them gently.

The trans in my 1993 Dakota was rebuilt after 98K miles. What the shop mechanic taught me was that the differences between the senior and junior versions were few. The senior version had a bigger torque converter and some of the shafts were stouter but that was about it. What is notable about the four speed units is that they leak internally and usually not enough lubricant gets back to the overdrive unit and the pressure within the unit is marginal.

Here are some of the solutions I applied.

1. External trans cooler. Definitely a must whether you tow or not. I installed a medium sized one and found the trans to be quieter and smoother even in 90+ degree heat.
    2. Trans fluid. Get a synthetic. ATF+4 is a straight synthetic and will work well in transmissions requiring ATF+3 and ATF+2.
    3. Get a Shift Correction Kit from Transgo. Be sure it is a Shift Correction Kit. This kit remedies the internal leakage issue, sends tons more fluid to the overdrive unit and depending on how you set it up, you can vary the firmness of the shift. I chose the middle setting and that was sweet. The shift was very quick but not overly firm. If I locked out the overdrive and played, it was not unusual for the rear tires to leave patches (some up to two feet long) of rubber on the road.
    4. Get a deeper sump. I did and added about two and one-half quarts more ATF than stock. Again that helped with heat control.
    5. Get clutch packs with better friction material and get cast iron drums instead of the aluminum drums for improved durability.

Just one additional item for those of you with the 5.2L and 5.9L engines. They are good engines but they are sludge formers. They need very frequent oil changes otherwise the front one-third of the valve cover fills with sludge. The remedy for that is to use a good synthetic oil. I had a 5.2L in my Dakota and used a good synthetic oil. Had a valve cover gasket replaced at 80K miles. The valve train was factory clean.
  • mike1411mike1411 Member Posts: 1
    If I start the truck and let it idle it starts making a loud sucking air noise from the throttle body. I'll drive it and when its cold it dosn't want to shift from second to third unti it gets to 40 mph. Once it warms up it drives fine. Until I shut it off for a while.
  • 4xford34xford3 Member Posts: 1
    had same problem replace kick down band and drum on 2001 diesel
  • bobmc7bobmc7 Member Posts: 1
    I am having a similar problem on my 2007 Dodge 2500 diesel. The temp light comes on and goes off almost immediately. The O/D light briefly lights. This usually only happens when I am driving in town within 10 minutes of starting the engine. I have checked the temp by hand and it was not even hot. I figure it must be wiring or a sensor.

Can I troubleshoot this easily?
  • txbigbadwolftxbigbadwolf Member Posts: 1
    Hello All

I have a 2008 3500 with the 6.7 and a 6 speed auto. It has been shifting ok, maybe a little hard and a small delay into 5 and 6 when cold. Yesterday I drove about 40 miles and it did fine. After slowing and going through a large puddle of water the transmission began slipping, over the next few blocks it got worse and worse. then it caught 4th gear and I was able to get it home. It has plenty of fluid, maybe excess fluid. It seems to work better in first gear and gets worse up to three. no issue with reverse. Fluid smells a bit burnt but not badly. Trans temp never exceed 160. Tuner shows several codes. Like trans fluid pressure high, and several improper gear ratios. I cleared the codes and drove again this morning. No change in transmission action, but the only code I have is improper 3 ratio. I have no history on the truck as I just bought it a month ago. Any advise would be appreciated. :cry:
  • 02_ram_150002_ram_1500 Member Posts: 1
    did you find out where this should be? I have the same part in mine
  • chryslergroupchryslergroup Member Posts: 35
    Hello txbigbadwolf,

Sorry to hear you are having a concern with your 2008 Dodge Ram 3500.

I checked for Technical Service Bulletins but could not find anything related to the transmission concern you described.

You may want to consider having the vehicle diagnosed by your local authorized Dodge Service Department or a trusted mechanic.

Lisa
    Customer Care
    Chrysler Group LLC
  • edk63edk63 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2012
    When starting out from a stop, truck doesn't want to move. Once underway no shift problems. Shifts fine from 1st to 2nd and so on. Had fluid changed/flushed with no change in problem (automatic tranny). Any advise would be appreciated.
  • stevetexasstevetexas Member Posts: 1
    I hope you can help, here's my issue. I have a 1995 Dodge Ram with the 318. It belonged to my nephew and he was several hours away and ask me to come get him and bring a trailer that his transmission had gone out. I did and parked the truck at my house where it had sat for about 1 1/2 years. He finally told me I could have it that he wasn't going to fix it so I put on a new battery and it ran fine for about a day. Then it started acting up like the transmission was going out but I'm not sure thats it. It will crank and idle fine shifts into gears fine but if I go down the road it will start to lunge at about 10-20 MPH and about 30 is tops. It revs up like i'm going 100MPH but still about 30 is tops (on level ground), it will slow down going up hill. It lunges in drive or reverse. I have been told torque converter by some but others said if it was fine for a day than that wouldn't be it and I would be able to hear it while it was idling. Any ideas?
  • rwt1223rwt1223 Member Posts: 3
    I know your post is old, but I have a 1996 Dodge Ram Truck, 1500 Series (only 126,725 on it) and I go down the road it acts like it slips into Neutral, I see the Tach Meter go up, but no power. Pull off the side of road, turn off, restart, fine, go about two miles down the road and it does the same thing. Did you ever get your problem fixed and if so, what was it?