Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Transmission Problems

Comments

• chickneedshelpchickneedshelp Member Posts: 1
    I have 01 ram 5.2L, automatic. I had returned from a weekend trip about 300 miles RT. Truck drove fine until I got home about and hour later, the truck sputtered and would not accelerate past 30 MPH, but the RPMs were at 3000. Finally it would not accelerate at all like it was in neutral. Regarless of what gear it is in even reverse, nothing happens. can anyone give a guess as to whats going on?

Thanks
  • blake77520blake77520 Member Posts: 2
    you seem to the right person to answer questions. can you help me out?
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Unfortunately, the last time that happened to me (1992), the trans was fried and required a rebuild. You'll likely need the truck towed to a shop that can check any codes and give it a proper examination. Hopefully, it's just a sensor that has gone bad.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • bwillardbwillard Member Posts: 10
    I got news on my 00 2500 today. It was called a band strut on the foward band of the transmission. Our trucks must have been built on Friday, because he said that it probably wasn't ever adjusted correctly from the factory. The strut just simply fell out. He had to pull the valve body down and reinstall it. Also when you change your fluid it is a good idea to loosen the valve body so that it will drain more fluid out of the torque converter. I hope this will help.
  • ram2500ram2500 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for all the info. plz keep it coming.
    The latest on my 99 2500;the injector pump died Mond. nite...the dodge dealer has to repair that first to get the cummins running so that he can check the tranny. All this is under a 3rd party warranty (C.A.R.S. protection plan--not recommended) and what a hassle. I will keep your 'find' in mind when the dealer pulls the trans. pan and valve body. This problems seems to occur a lot with dodge trannys...hmmmm...design issues?????
    Stay in touch and thanks again for all the input.
  • rammmorammmo Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005,2wd,2500 5.9 diesel with 58000KM....Last week the tranny would stay in first gear up to 35 KMH or 2500RPM.I brought it to My chrysler garage an they changed the Transmisson Actuator, it is running great now.The work was under warranty, it would have cost $1000.00.

This is my fist post, hope it helps.
  • ricky16ricky16 Member Posts: 10
    I HAVE A2003 3500 2 WHEEL DRIVE WHEN COLD SHIFTS GREAT BUT WHEN IT WARMS UP IT WINES UP TO 2500 BEFORE IT WILL SHIFT OUT OF FIRST TO SINCE IT STARTED AT ABOUT 100.000 THOUSAND MILES AND IT WILL DOWN SHIFTS HARD IT HAS A TIGHT SPOT IN FOOT FEED WHEN WARM. IT IS A 5.9 DIESEL Automatic. ANY INFO
  • kingrikingri Member Posts: 4
    My transmission just quit shifting into 4th gear. All other gears shift smoothly.
    Changed governor pressure sensor & solenoid, did not fix anything. Looking for advice.
  • hookerphookerp Member Posts: 1
    I have a trouble code of 37 which means Torque Converter Clutch. Can anyone explain what needs to be done. Is this some kind of sensor or relay. Please don't tell me the convertor is going out. I am on my third tranny.

Thanks
  • questmom9600questmom9600 Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone out there shed some light as to why my husband's Ram has gone through another transmission? We bought it used with 44,000 miles on it a few years ago. About 1 1/2 yrs. ago the transmission went and we put a rebuilt one in. Now, not even 2 years later it is blown again, another 2600 dollars that we don't have especially this time of year. He doesn't do any towing, plowing or anything like that. He only drives it back and forth to work and occasionally makes small dump runs. It now has 110,000 miles on it, all highway mileage and here we are with a transmission problem again. It all makes me so mad. Now the transmission guy is saying that it might get to the point that it wouldn't be worth it to fix.
    I don't know about any of you, but I don't consider 100,000 miles, especially highway mileage and a 2001 truck "old or not worth repairing".
  • evhuddevhudd Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Ram 1500 4x4, Auto trans, lockout switch on shift lever does not lockout the OD. Where should I start to solve? Is this fused? Thanks,. Evhudd
  • c00lwizec00lwize Member Posts: 2
    I have a 96 Dodge ram 5.9 1500 4x4 truck
    A few weeks ago I had What sounded like a belt sweeking coming from the tranny.
    After the sound its like the truck will not shift down to first gear..

NOW! I went out last night, the truck sat for 6 hours, started driving .. The truck will not shift now! it stays in one gear, IF I put the truck in (N) and back to (D) while the truck is moving it starts shifting. And when I stop, it starts all over again. and I have to repeat!

Please help I wanted to check here first, Before I spend money
  • jonhempjonhemp Member Posts: 1
    i purchased a 1995 dodge 2500 cummins a few months ago. the truck has 138,000 miles on it. The shift linkage needs to be adjusted. It has been like this since I have had the truck, something that I have been meaning to fix. As a result the gears 12DNRP do not line up with where they should. The other day I was driving the truck and just after getting down the road the tranny started to slip-possibly in neutral) and the transmission temp light came on. Coulod this be a result of the linkage needing adjustment or can these be seperate problems. The temp light came on within 1 mile of travel which seemed odd. I pulled over and checked my fluid levels, which seemed fine. The fluid was a nice clear red, almost like new! I did notice some tiny air bubbles on the dipstick. Can that be a result of higher temp? After checking the fluid I put it in gear and drove off with no more troubles. Later that day on my way home from work the temp light came on again. Also within a mile of driving the truck. This time there was no slipage. On both occasions the light came on quick and then would go off. Can this be related to the linkage? If so what is the best way to adjust it? Thanks for all the help-
  • tnbulldog2tnbulldog2 Member Posts: 2
    Dusty,
    Thanks in advance for taking time to read this.
    I have had my '06 Megacab Ram 1500 in the shop for the third time for symptoms described in your reply above. I was told today, they replaced the second of two filters since the first one didn't change the lack of immediate "park to reverse or drive" engagement. This evening, I moved my truck to make room for my wifes car in the driveway and I experienced the longest "Park to 1st gear" "drive delay" so far. The dealer shows it to be a 5-45RFE tranny. No codes are apparent.
    I'm going to try it again tonight and tomorrow. If it doesn't show improvement, what should I be telling the dealer. ONLY 12,000 more miles of warranty! STAR was supposed to get involved but they were not dispatched to my dealer by someone's choice other than mine. STAR is Chrysler's Expert Technician, in case you didn't know. Sounds like you're IN THE KNOW!\
    Thanks
    Charlie
  • tnbulldog2tnbulldog2 Member Posts: 2
    No noises here but something that might be of interest.
    My issue is 'not immediately' engaging into reverse or drive when shifting from PARK (auto trans). Experiencing roll forward or backward until engagement occurs. Might as well have a straight drive, manual tranny!
    I just returned home with my 3rd tranny warranty, so called, repair today. They changed a faulty filter a few weeks ago, said it was the type filter Dodge was using and it was failing on 2006 models with 545RPE tranny. Turns out they changed the other related filter today (also mentioned in this blog on page 15 by DUSTY). In addition, the dealer drained the t-fluid and added new and also added a "SEALER"????
    I drove it home,parked it and went inside. Came back out to move it out of the wife's way and the "3-4 second park to drive delay" was still evident.
    This has only been occuring the last 1000 miles or so. With only 24,000 miles on the vehicle, the dealer(Alley's KingsportTN) nor Dodge/Chrysler will not get away with telling me it is characteristic for it to have an engagement delay. I am watching this site for answers and what to do next.
    TnBulldog2 :confuse: :confuse: :confuse: :confuse:
  • moneypit5moneypit5 Member Posts: 1
    tranny will shift ok when cold for about 15 miles.then come to stop downshift to 1st but then wont shift into 2nd unless column is moved from drive to 2 position 3rd and 4th .then drives just fine 65mph all of sudden for no appaent reason just slips into like neutral but havent done any thing to make it do that .slows down and i have to shift into 2nd gear and limp back to home.Got trouble codes 740 and 1756.Tourque conv. circuit malfunction and Shift Solenoid# 2 Performance,.Tranny was complety rebuilt 16 months ago has 45000 miles since .Have chinged filter and fluid no unexpected surprises in pan.Anybody have any sugestions/
  • burmafrdburmafrd Member Posts: 1
    185K have taken good care of it - flushed tranny 18 months ago with new filter.
    Just recently it started to redline to shift up, and has gotten worse. If going down hill OK; if I let up it usually shifts, but not always. If going up hill it will not shift up from first. A mechanic friend put it on the computer but only a vague message came up. Help. Expensive situation coming up!!!!
  • c00lwizec00lwize Member Posts: 2
    I heard the some thing from my truck WHAT WAS IT!
  • bulldog6bulldog6 Member Posts: 8
    Should I buy a automatic or 6 speed transmission. I will pull a heavy 5th wheel trailer cross country. Any input will help.
  • tallman4tallman4 Member Posts: 3
    I HAVE ONE 97 5 SPEED AND A NINETY EIGHT AUTO. THE AUTO . IS A CONSTANT WORRY THOUGH I HAVE BEEN ABLE TOO HELP IT BY CLEANING ALL THE ELECTRICAL CONNECTIONS I CAN FIND ANYWHERE AND ADDING GROUNDS TO THE TPS SENSOR AND COMPUTER ON THE FIREWALL ALSO SEE IF IT SAYS TOO CHECK THE FLUID IN PARK OR NEUTRAL, {IT WILL TELL U ON THE TRANS . DIPSTICK] IT WILL BE ABOUT 2 QUARTS LOW IF U CHECK IT IN PARK AND IT SAYS TOO CHECK IT NEUTRAL.
    IF U ARE GOING TOO PULL ANYTHING HEAVIER THAN A LAWNMOWER GET A STANDARD TRANSMISSION.
    Thanks for information. Debating between Ford & Dodge. All info will help me.
  • prackerpracker Member Posts: 1
    from message #67 od light comes on and then transmission temp light.

I just swapped out my 98 46re (360 4x4) with a 46re from a 2001 (318 4x4) they gave me the correct torque conv with no counter weights. I installed it and same thing happens as # 67 ( od and trans temp) they now tell me I need to put sensor from my old tranny into this one as that sensor controls shifting and temp - it is located on the drivers side plugs in from top it is round and has 5-6 pins in it. does this sound correct - I have also been told by other parties I need to flash and reprogram at a dealer??

we are flowing about 2 quarts through cooler in 30 seconds. bottom of pan is probably 100 deg and the cooler lines are cool to warm to the touch.

Thanks

Jeff
  • muletrainermuletrainer Member Posts: 3
    hey pard I have my first automatic and I love it. The main Reason of this truck is to pull a 40' trailer ,30 mule trailer ,and othe equipment on the ranch.
    Thanks for info. Do you pull long distance?
  • rammedicrammedic Member Posts: 1
    98 Ram sometimes redlines to shift out of 1 gear and you have to play with the throttleto get out of second. Tranny doesnt slip or hesitate. Also makes a loud grinding noise occasionaly when cruising at low speeds but stops if get on the throttle. Looked at some aftermarket trans from Jasper but not thrilled about spending that much money at Christmas. Any Ideas
  • jackhammer2jackhammer2 Member Posts: 5
    i have a 2001 ram with a 318 94,000 miles sometimes the tranny will start out in second gear you can physically drop the shifter in 1st and manually shift into second and after that it upshifts fine. then sometimes it will drop down in first from park and not want to shift out of first. I changed the filter and replaced 5 quarts of fluid and it is still acting the same way. I think the fact that my truck sits more than it is drove has hurt the tranny. what would cause these syptoms and how can it be fixed
    Thanks for the info. All information is appreciated.
  • laynrbrlaynrbr Member Posts: 6
    My 2003 Diesel Dually is giving me transmission problems. I stopped at the dealership tonight and they are booked up until next week. Problem is I'm heading home for Christmas in two days and its a 16 hour trip. It is showing multiple problems at the same time. This started very suddenly, here are the symptoms:
    1) At start up, when put in gear the illuminated box around the gear selector in the dash does not light up in R, D,2, or 1.
    2) It doesn't have any pull when taking off but gradually gets better.
    3) Won't shift into overdrive
    4) Cruise control doesn't work
    5) Tow/Haul mode does not work
    6) No lights or buzzers come on saying that there is a problem

After driving a few miles, (farther tonight than last night) it jumps into overdrive and everything else starts working again. I can't decide if it is a trans. problem or electrical/computer problem. Has anyone seen or heard of this combination before?? It has been in the shop before for some minor stuff but this is making me nervous before a long trip.

Thanks!
    John
  • titanium29titanium29 Member Posts: 38
    I'm not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV, but I am marginally mechanically inclined and that sounds electrical to me. I'd check all the fuses in the fuse box under the hood first. I've also heard tales of a "ground strap/wire" from the side of the tranny that gets corroded or comes loose on Rams. I think I saw it on one of the pages here, actually. You might just crawl under and see if there is an obvious wire disconnected from the side of the tranny somewhere...good luck.
  • altasnowmanaltasnowman Member Posts: 2
    Hi John,
    My dad had the same problem and it drove him nuts as well as the dealership. They did find the problem in one of the control modules for the tranny. It was quit by accident that they found it so talk to the dealership about having the modules changed it will only take them about 1/2 hour to do.
    Thanks for the advice! I'm checking everything I can see with the naked eye. Unfortunatly that doesn't help much when it comes to computers and wires.
    I knew this had to have happened to someone else. I'll let the dealership know. I'm sure the control modules won't be covered by the powertrain warranty, go figure!

Thank You!
    John
  • btb1btb1 Member Posts: 1
    my clutch went out about a month ago in alabama im from texas and i left it with a road side shop he said he fixed the problem but when i got in the truck to leave all the gears were extreamly hard to shift into. he said that it was just air in the line but he was wrong. I had no other choice but to drive it home. it still is hard to shift into 1st and reverse and not very smooth inbetween. now there is a rattle comeing from the transmission or transfer case. its a 2003 1500 4.7 liter 5-speed 4x4. can anyone help.
    Hopefully you have already got it going. But, I have 2003 Ram2500 that would not shift into OD. I changed a solenoid & pressure sensor in tranny, which did not fix my problem. I did however disconnect the battery cables, negatives first. Let it set a few minutes them reconnected cables. This resets truck computer, result- trany shifts perfectly now. Hope this helps
    Richie
    Before spending any more money. Disconnet battery cables, negative first. This will reset the trucks computer. Allow a few minutes before reconnecting. This worked on my tranny that would not shift into OD. Good Luck
    Richie
  • jake61jake61 Member Posts: 1
    The "rattle" sounds like a heat shield on the firewall is loose and rattles up to about 30 mph. I have had thorough checkout and nothing found.

I noticed that if I hear the rattle and shift into neutral, the "rattle" stops! I had the fluid changed and found a lot of metal on the magnet, had filter changed, no signs of problems.

Could this be a pressure thing?
  • quadracingquadracing Member Posts: 1
    I just got a 1998 dodge 1500 4x4 it runs and drives good but will no go into overdrive, any ideas what to do, I took it too a transmission shop and they did a road test on it with a scanner hooked up to it and they said the solanoid is getting a signal but they can not test if it is working, they reccomended that I have them change the 3-4 solonoid and if that does not work they said my transmission will just need to be rebuilt......My question is, is there a way that I can test that solenoid if I take it out myself or is there anything else I should try, I am very mechanically inclined just do not know alot about transmissions, have always just r and r them, but can not afford to do that right now, I already tried the disconnectiong the battery to see if that will work but it did not work. Please Help.
    thanks in advance.
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    New RAMs that Cummins equiped use the new 68RE automatic transmission. This transmission has so far demonstrated excellent durability and reliability.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • nbk1nbk1 Member Posts: 1
    Have an '06 2500 Ram with diesel. Engine trouble light keeps coming on. Taken to dealer each time and he says that it is the sensor in the torque converter, but he doesn't find anything wrong and he can't repeat the condition that turns the engine trouble light on. He clears the light and sends me on my way. Any ideas or others experiencing the same problem?
  • wlcadywlcady Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2002 Ram 1500, engine light is on and i notice a fluxuation in the RPM's I had the ligth reset and the RPM issue quits. Light is back on now and RPM same issue. Any suggestions??
  • supercarpt722supercarpt722 Member Posts: 2
    well i have a dode problem.i know imagine that.i have a 98 ram 4x4 with 190000 on it also a 5.9 and a 46re.the problem is when i drive it it has no power at all.i have had a semi beat me at a litgh!! the trans wont down shft either when your driving .just seems to stay in what gear it was in.when i pull out to pass someone and floor it,no shift.also when talking about shifting when i take off from a stop it doesnt seem to want to shift into either 4th or od.the rpms have gone to the rev limiter a few times then it will shift.sometimes its ok sometimes it will shift at about 45-55 with what seem normal rpms. its fine in 1-3 it seems like.about 20000 miles ago the rear speed sensor in the rearend was replaced.trans shifted alot better after for about a week.then started this and getting worse.before the change it shifted ok to.so whats up?tc?rebuild?electircal?i have teken a snapon scanner to read codes but it doesnt work,says it will not read computer error.but im not a mechanic anyway.so any help woul be awesome!!anyquestions just ask.thanks again
  • supercarpt722supercarpt722 Member Posts: 2
    also i have never had a check engine light on either
  • wlcadywlcady Member Posts: 4
    I have no tranny problems just the fluxuation in RPMs tranny seems to run fine.
  • tttonytttony Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if anybody else out there has ever had a problem like this??? This past weekend I was driving my 1999 Ram Diesel with 102k on it to Sears, the whole trip there was about 1/2 hour, (truck ran fine NO shifting problems what so ever, when leaving I instantly noticed for moving that it took more throttle to get the truck going, then when I was going about 35mph I also noticed it never shfted into overdrive, (it was on I checked) so the whole ride home from every stop it started in second and never would shift into overdrive, I talked to the dealer they haven't had any other trucks with this problem, they just said bring it in and they can check it out for about $200, I hate paying diagnostic time, also the check engine light never came on. Anybody have any ideas or similiar problems, it just baffles me that something like this could happen with just shutting off the truck and restarting it again. Thanks for any of your help. :sick:
  • bqtransbqtrans Member Posts: 1
    There are a couple of ways to fix delayed engagements in dodge rear wheel and 4x4 transmissions. First the reason for the delay is loss of torque converter fill. Cause dodge transmissions vent converter fill oil to the transmission pan in the park range, this is also lube and cooler oil. So in park there is no lube, cooling, or converter fill. The only one you can feel is no converter fill, the transmission still shifts in to gear right away as that part of the transmission still has pressure but with out oil in the converter the engine is not connected to the transmission. (like depressing the clutch on a manual transmission) This is not a big deal unless you live in cold climates that require long warm-up times, or spend lots of time idling in park. Where lack of lube will cause pump bushing and converter wear and some times transmission over heat. Now for the fix's cheapest first start your car/truck in neutral with the parking brake on (this allows lube, cooling and converter fill all the time the engine is running). Expensive fix after market companies have found a way to provide lube, cooling and fill in park with valve body and manual valve changes and updates you should probably take this to a trusted transmission shop (more than likely 3-5hundred bucks). Also a great time to have minor problems fixed like lack of lock/up pressure to prevent premature torque converter clutch failure.
    Hey tttony! I just got my 2003 out of the shop for similar problems. I don't know how much 99's and 2003's share but here is what I found. My transmission control module (stupid computer) just quit talking to the main computer. The only gear I had was 3rd, period! No first, second, or overdrive. Also, no codes where shown at all. The shop hooked up their OBD tester and nothing came up. Took about 2hrs of troubleshooting to figure it out. It only takes about 1/2 hour to install the new part. On my truck it is on the firewall, left of the engine if you are looking at the front of the truck. Has two or three bundles of wires plugged into it.
    Luckily mine was covered under the extended warranty. The module was about $400.00 if I would have had to buy it.

If this is what they think is wrong you need to MAKE SURE that they actually take the plugs apart that plug into the module and inspect the wires. After installing the new module my truck still didn't work. They took the plugs apart and found that the main power feed wire was broken inside the plug. After fixing that everything worked great. You don't want to buy a new module if you don't have to!

Good luck!
    Laynrbr
  • colorado16colorado16 Member Posts: 1
    I had a guy put an overhaul kit in my 1995 Dodge Diesel auto trans. The converter lockup will not stay in. Kicks in and out. TPS replaced. Also VSS. Added ground wire to trans. Now the overdrive is kicking in and out. Problem has to be in transmission since there was no problem before it was worked on. Any ideas? The guy doing this only worked on Chevy transmissions. This was his first Dodge. Better be his last. HELP!
  • rjdrewrjdrew Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Ram 1500, 5.7L Hemi, Sports package. occasionally I get a whinning sound from under the truck. The whinning ramps up with speed and down as I slow down. I think it is coming from the rear end and not the tranny.

Just after I bought the truck in 04, the rear end had to be totally replaced when the anti slip diff disintegrated The truck is used to tow a travel trailer during warmer months.

Any ideas as to what the whinning sound it. Hate to take the truck to the dealer and be told it is nothing ?
  • aholeahole Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2004 ram 2500 with 5.7 hemi 4x4 . i have a vibration from underneith . it only happens after ive drove it for a while apx 10 miles @ 65 mph and then i stop and then go , it happens when i take off for about 2 sec then it is gone it does not happen all the time but seems to happen more when i am turning at a stop any ideas thnx ">
  • lynn32lynn32 Member Posts: 3
    Is there any way of making the trans last longer or making it stonger.I have a 1999 Dodge Ram 5.2 and the transmission is being rebuilt