Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Transmission Problems

Comments

• WandoWando Member Posts: 1
    while driving it "quit" moving... thought was low on tranny fluid but that didnt help.... rpms got up to 3000 and was barely moving... 2 months ago had to change oxygen sensor ...HELP>>>>>>
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    I just seem to think that the 47RE might have been available as an option, specifically on certain 4x4 versions, whether part of an off-road package or something like that. I cannot find any thing documented that verifies that, however.

On the previous generation RAMs (pre-2002), splits in the dashboard were a problem, although I know of a lot of RAMs of that vintage that have not had the problem. I was told by a Dodge service manager that this problem was traced to a molding-related defect and that's why it affected only certain vehicles. I think I heard that, based on how good your relationship is with the dealer, that they can help you get some financial assistance from Chrysler on a portion or all of the repair.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • MikaybiZMikaybiZ Member Posts: 3
    You may be right Dusty my model is a 4x4 and also the sport off road package, it must have been an option for that model. I took it back to the shop for another look hopefully they find something because this is getting old. As for the dash I have done some looking around on the web and found a place that is selling it for around a hundred bucks. Looks like a good deal but we will see. I only hope that I'm not biting off more than I can chew putting it in myself. Thanks again Dusty.

Mike
  • OmegaGhost86OmegaGhost86 Member Posts: 2
    I have a few questions that maybe someone on here could help me with I have a 05 ram with the normal v8 in it not the hemi with about 60k miles on it the service engine light just came on and for the past week before the light came on everytime i try to put the truck in gear from park like from park to drive it just sits there the rpms will build up but the truck goes no where. Ill put the truck back in park then back to drive again it will do the same thing then suddenly violantly jerk itself into gear after that the seems to almost shake and the engine seems like its trying alot harder then it should be im current on all my oil changes and all that stuff i looked at fluids there all good and where there supposed to be im out of warrnty and i have an appt for monday to bring it in i was just curious if someone might know what the heck it is before i get told that i have 20 random things wrong with my truck?

Steven
  • OmegaGhost86OmegaGhost86 Member Posts: 2
    my trucks doing the same thing except the weather is warm and dry mines an 05 reg cab with the 4 liter
  • bobd888bobd888 Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 Ram P/U was doing same thing a couple years ago. It went away after replacing the two speed sensors in the transmission. It just started happening again (odo=120K). I'm considering replacing the transmission, but am wondering what else will go wrong after sinking almost $3K for the job. Any suggestions?
  • NewtomoparNewtomopar Member Posts: 6
    I bit the bullet and took the truck back to the dealer, paid the $100 diagnostics fee and they found that my ecm needed an update. Up dated now and drives perfect. Thanks for all the suggestions from everyone, I tried everything and would have never found the actual problem.
  • 99dodge199dodge1 Member Posts: 1
    This truck has about 119k miles on it and i hear this tapping sound and took it to pep Boys because i had problems with my brakes but the mechanic said the tapping noice is a transmission problem and that i need to have it looked at. I have never had problems with the transmission or the engine so i think 119k is good since i treat it like a 4x4 when its not one LOL. The main question is, is it possible to put a 2009 transmission and engine inside of a 1999 Dodge truck ? I figure it be better to have a newer engine in there to get better gas mileage since it would be newer or what would ya`ll think?
  • jamie45724jamie45724 Member Posts: 1
    transmission work great till i stopped driving it now it takes of in 2nd gear when in drive but when i pull it in low gear it works fine
  • 4x44dummie4x44dummie Member Posts: 3
    My stick on the floor has always worked for me. ( 1995 1500) then it slowly got slower to have it in gauge in to 4 wheel . Then it got to the point of not responding at all. I drained fluid and filled , checked all plug in connectors .
    Is anyone out there that can give me a hint as to the problem.
    Steve
    Please help , we have snow coming. The stick on the floor is not shifting into 4
    wheel . Why ? Does anyone know ?
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Since this got slower and slower over time, you probably want to check the CAD (central axle disconnect) system at the front axle for malfunction or a vacuum leak.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • flash46flash46 Member Posts: 8
    I agree as I encountered a very similar issue with my 01' 4x4. The vacuum loss was so pronounced that the cruise control, a/c vents, and willingness to engage into 4x4 was affected by a torn vacuum line on the right front hub. Replaced hose with OEM hose (very important) and all started working proper. Hope this helps.
  • ShadyJrShadyJr Member Posts: 5
    I recently replaced the tranny in my 94 ram, The problem I am having is no overdrive and the speedometer is'nt working, Both worked fine until I swapped trannys. I used the speed sensor out of old tranny which was new and also solenoid out of old tranny which was new. The trans shifts beautiful through 3rd gear but no overdrive and no speedometer now! Any ideas on the problem? Thanks!
    thank you ,I got another feedback that said the same thing. I will look today considering we just got 8" of snow... If it is not the problem , you are going to buy it right. Steve
  • tnickell85tnickell85 Member Posts: 1
    Hi i have a 2001 ram 2500 with the 5.9 turbo cummins. When i punch the gas in first gear, my tranny wont shift into second. The rpms will just redline until i let off of the gas. Other than that the tranny is solid, i just cant understand why it wont shift into 2nd gear if i get on the gas. I appreciate any input, thx in advance.
  • cmeadowscmeadows Member Posts: 5
  • cmeadowscmeadows Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel that doesn't want to down shift out of Overdrive when I want to pass or pickup speed as when entering a high speed interstate highway, even if I floor the throttle.
    I am new to diesels so I do not know if this is normal. It does create a problem when I am towing my camper. To slow to gain speed.
    I beleave I have the 48RE transmission, is this normal?
  • jra555jra555 Member Posts: 1
    Takes a minute to shift into reverse. What should I do?
  • jpg1962jpg1962 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 2WD automatic with 95,000 miles on it. About 8 months ago my gear selector, while it still worked, stopped locking in. All was fine until one day after sitting for a week, I backed out of my driveway, put it ingear and took off. Just as it was about to shift, it went right to neutral. Now all I have is park and reverse. 1 year prior to that I had to change the pan, gasket and fluid, all were replaced with MOPAR parts. Does anyone know where I should start ?
  • mikehootiemikehootie Member Posts: 2
    Had it rebuilt at 125,000mi. Now 149k. Didn't want to shift into 2. Had a speed
    sensor replaced. Drives ok for about 10 minutes, then wont shift into 3 untill
    the rpms go sky high. Then after a few minutes the O/D lite goes on. Am I doomed?
    Without knowing the miles on this transmission or the maintenance history, a rough guess is the overrunning clutch is shot.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • ormanorman Member Posts: 1
    have a 2000 ram rebuilt trany speedo wont work changed speed sencor & rear end sencor speedo still wont work
  • jke5jke5 Member Posts: 1
    It has 140k, never had a issue then all of a sudden it is having a problem getting out of 1st if on a grade, if i start out slow it will go through the gears just fine.
    Is there a simple fix or am I doomed.
    For the benefit of others that may be reading this post, for Chrysler-built rear wheel drive vehicles there are speed sensors in the transmission (one in RE & RH trannies; two in RFE trannies) that send signal(s) to the Power Train Control (PCM) and Transmission Control Modules (TCM). These signals are used in determining various internal control functions in the transmission and performance operation.

Again, in RWD platforms (all trucks) there is a Rear Wheel Speed Sensor. This sensor supplies a signal to the PCM through the Controller Antilock Brake (CAB or Antilock Brake Controller). The PCM supplies the signal to operate the speedometer, among other functions.

On to your problem.

*If the Speedometer is not working, but the Odometer advances as the vehicle is driven, you have a defective Speedometer gauge or a break on the cluster circuit board.

*On Chrysler systems if the Odometer or Trip Odometer is blank, you have an internal error on the instrument cluster assembly with the PCI data bus and the speedometer will not function.

*If a "NO BUS" message is visible in the odometer, there is an internal problem on the cluster circuit board or there is no PCI data circuit between the cluster and the PCM.

*If the Odometer readout is flashing repeatedly, the instrument cluster is not receiving a distance signal from the CAB.

*If the circuit between the Rear Wheel Speed Sensor to the CAB is lost, the speedometer will not work, the odometer will not advance and the ABS lamp on the instrument cluster will be illuminated.

Since I do not know what the state is of the odometer in this case, and you've already replaced the Rear Wheel Speed Sensor in the rear differential, I would suggest checking the rear wheel speed sensor circuit back to the CAB. On vehicles of your vintage corrosion at the rear wheel speed sensor terminals is a common problem, but I would check all of the connections at the CAB and PCM terminal connectors. If the odometer is working, you've probably got a bad speedo gauge.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • xscoobaxscooba Member Posts: 5
    1996 dodge ram 1500, 46re tranny (189,000 miles). problems shifting from 1-2. usually shifts late (over 3,000 rpm's) or i can shift to neutral and back to drive then it will shift. governor pressure solenoid and transducer both new. the two solenoids beside them test fine.

i'm trying to remove the valve body to check it out, but tranny is still in truck and i can't figure out how to disconnect throttle linkage to allow valve body to drop out. any help would be appreciated.
    Check the operation of the Transmission Throttle Valve and cable at both ends for binding. The Throttle Valve Lever on the tranny should return all the way when the Throttle Valve in the Throttlebody on the engine is in the idle position. Check for a missing or broken return spring.

Are you having trouble removing park rod or the manual lever? There's an E-clip on the end of the park rod. You need to rotate the valve body in order to release the rod. The manual lever shaft simply pulls through the case.

Regards,
    Dusty
    there is a linkage on the outside of tranny above throttle body where the return spring is and it holds up the valve body when trying to remove.
    can the front band be replaced without dropping tranny?
  • stemper57301stemper57301 Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    I have a 1997 dodge ram 1500 with the 360 in it. I'm not sure of the trans. 46 or 47. My problem is that once in a while, mainly when its cold or wet, it will almost seem like it's slipping. Also along with this problem it stalls in drive and shakes like it wants to die. If I shift into 2nd it works no problems. There is a check engine code for low output speed sensor, I replaced the output speed sensor on the trans and it did nothing.Light is still there Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
  • jerizjeriz Member Posts: 1
    my husband has a 1500 dge ram 1998 p/u. It is in the trans shop for repair. They said that the transmission cooler failed and it let transmission fluid into the radiator and anti freeze into the transmission - is this possible. They are saying to repair could cost up to 2,900.00. Does this seem right? Once the truck gets hot it won't go into gear except for reverse. Once it cools down it does go into gear. Thanks,
  • jrthomas81jrthomas81 Member Posts: 4
    :sick: HELP! I have an issue with my father-in-laws truck. I borrowed it to tow my camper (6000lbs) and had a trans line blow on my way home. I replaced the line on the side of the road and could only get my hands on about 75-80% of dex-4 trans fluid. I had to use about 2-3 qts of type F crap to get the truck home. The truck was been sitiing for about a week or so before I could get it to a trans shop. Now it won't move or if it does, it crawls and revs motor. Any advice? I know the trans was HOT when the line blew, but it drove home with no issue once the line was fixed. Should I drop the pan and change the filter? Is it ok to blow the remaining fluid out of the aux cooler with compressed air so I can assure that there is no type F in the trans when I start filling it back up?
  • frustrated2500frustrated2500 Member Posts: 1
    :sick: Have I got one for everyone - I have a 2006 2500 Diesel with 35Ks and I am having to replace my transmission! Because it is 5 months past the 3 year (obviously not the 100K) they will not stand by their product. Any suggestions or has anyone else had issues with their transmission with so few miles?
  • wsswvwsswv Member Posts: 1
    I have an 02 with same cause and problem. I replaced the od solenoid and tps still nothing, I being told to rebuild or replace the od unit. Also having same problem as pontiacfb69 with p poor cold running. If you find out anything please let me know. Thanks, wsswv
  • akkillerakkiller Member Posts: 2
    no it does not need PCM .first 3 gears are manual only over drive uses electronics sounds like the governer could be stuck or they left a check ball out of the valve body could be a few things PCM is not one
  • akkillerakkiller Member Posts: 2
    was you running the AC when you put the cruse on if so bad alternator can cause your converter to lock and unlock cause your rpms to very
    HELP! I have an issue with my father-in-laws truck. I borrowed it to tow my camper (6000lbs) and had a trans line blow on my way home. I replaced the line on the side of the road and could only get my hands on about 75-80% of dex-4 trans fluid. I had to use about 2-3 qts of type F crap to get the truck home. The truck was been sitiing for about a week or so before I could get it to a trans shop. Now it won't move or if it does, it crawls and revs motor. Any advice? I know the trans was HOT when the line blew, but it drove home with no issue once the line was fixed. Should I drop the pan and change the filter? Is it ok to blow the remaining fluid out of the aux cooler with compressed air so I can assure that there is no type F in the trans when I start filling it back up?
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    You can NOT use Dexron, Type F, or "universal" transmission fluid in a Chrysler automatic - those fluids will eat the trans for lunch. Chrysler automatics can only use ATF+3 or ATF+4 depending on the year. If you had a combination of Dexron IV and Type F in there, you are likely looking at a tranny rebuild.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • lbz4lifelbz4life Member Posts: 1
    my 98 durango seems to start in third gear. the engine code is 6217 wich tells me govenor pressure sensor but, the dealer tells me it's a solenoid any ideas?
    A fellow I know was, and still is as far as I can tell, a believer that all transmission fluids are "basically the same" because his brother-in-law that's a transmission tech. at a Chevrolet dealership said so. When he put a quart of Dexron in his wife's '99 Caravan I told him that it was definitely the wrong thing to do and that the Dexron could cause damage. He said he wasn't going to spend $5.00 a quart for "Mopar crap" when he could use Dexron-Mercon from Auto Zone at $1.89 a quart. I said you'll be looking at a major problem within 5000 miles.

I was wrong.

The Caravan actually went 7300 miles before the clutches were completely spent. Of course, this only validated that Mopar trannies were a POS in his mind.

Unfortunately, KCRAM is very correct. Success stories with Dexron of non-ATF+ in a Chrysler-built transmission are very, very few, but I've seen a couple of Mopar automatics tolerate a quart of Dexron for a short period (less than a hundred miles) and survive after a complete transmission flush. But in your case I think there was just too much for too long a period.

Chrysler's ATF+ (ATF+, ATF+2, ATF+3 & ATF+4) are proprietary and very specialized fluids that are specifically formulated for compatibility with the Chrysler transmission design. They use a very sophisticated friction modifier ingredient that cannot be duplicated except by the original manufacturer (Havoline for ATF+3 & ATF+4). Adding another type of ATF will quickly destabilize ATF+ and without the correct formula the usual result is excessive clutch and band wear which loads up the transmission with clutch debris (that gray silty stuff) and clogs the transmissions arteries.

Good luck,
    Dusty
    You have a 46RE transmission. This transmission has an electronic Governor Pressure Sensor and a Governor Solenoid Valve. As you look at the bottom of the transmission, the Governor Body is mounted to the Shift Valve Body just adjacent to the filter. The Governor Pressure Solenoid is located in the center of the Governor Body and has two wires attached to it via a small connector. The Governor Pressue Sensor hangs off the side of the Governor Body and has a four-pin connector.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • jct43jct43 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2001 Dodge 2500 2wd with the cummins engine. I pull a 30 foot trailer that I sell Nascar Collectibles out of. When I bought the truck I heard a lot about the Dodge Trucks having a lot of transmission problems. So with 200 miles on the truck, I drained and flushed the transmission, of the origianl fluid. I then filled the transmission with a full synethic ATF fluid made by Petron Plus. Every 50,000 miles. I change the fluid and filter. The only problem I have had is the solnoed swithches in the bottom of the transmission. I have over 250,000 miles on the truck. The motor and transmission have been great in this truck. The rest of the truck is a diaster. Nothing but problems with the steering, brakes, and 7 visit under warranty on the AC. My next truck will not be a Dodge.
  • morganvmorganv Member Posts: 49
    we had fords for 23 years and finaly had it with all of the problems. ford never seems to fix anything in their design and once a part is bad they stay bad. we had a titan for 4 months and that thing was a disaster. bad transmission, various electrical problems, a noisy rear axle and 4 sets of brakes in 5k mikes. we bought our first dodge ram in 2002, but it had the small engine and we traded it for a 2003. we then bought a 2500 in 2004, then a 3500 in 2006. these trucks have been spectacular! we've only had one problem, a bad instrument gauges in the 2002. the 2003 has 110,000 miles on it and never had a repair. my dads newest silverado a 2007 has already had 3 repairs to the transmission and tons of brake adn electrical problems. sorry to hear you had problems. but well be staying wity dodge for awhile.

morgan
  • jackhammer2jackhammer2 Member Posts: 5
    i had the same problem with my 01 ram quad cab. I went to the dodge house and spent about $210 on the selenoid and the sensor. I dropped the tranny pan drained the fluid and replaced the sensor and selenoid. total time to do it took about a hour. Easy as can be. goto this link its a total dodge repair guide

http://www.rm-indy.com/wavefiles/2001ramsrvcmanual.zip

i found it very useful
  • jackhammer2jackhammer2 Member Posts: 5
    hey everyone i found this link posted it really helped me with my problem

Its in pdf format complete service guide

http://www.rm-indy.com/wavefiles/2001ramsrvcmanual.zip
    Can you give me any recommendations on how to fix the current trans or would I be better off replacing it?

As you mentioned, I did put a lot of stress on the trans during the time the truck was running, but shouldn't I have noticed a problem starting to occur rather than the truck just deciding to stop shifting immediately?

Thank you for your help!!!
  • joshcarpenter2joshcarpenter2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 4x4. I can feel the transfer case lock in but the front axle just won't do anything. the light in the dash won't come on or anything. could this be an electrical issue or is the actuator just vacume activated??
    Personally, I would recommend taking this to a well qualified, Mopar friendly rebuilder. There are some retrofits for this transmission that will increase performance and durability.

I would say that most transmissions give little to no notice before they stop operating correctly. Many times, especially with Mopars, the fluid becomes contaminated enough and debris is so heavy that the passages and valves in the valve body just clog right up. This can happen in an instant. TH200s and 4L60s & 80s will often produce strange noises, suffer from abrupts shifts, and have flair in advance before they go belly up, but a good portion of them die instantaneously, too (bad Sun Gears). Fords die like Mopars...pretty quickly, usually. But that's a testament to a hearty design.

Good luck,
    Dusty
  • hammerdownhemihammerdownhemi Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 dodge ram hemi that when I hammer it down, (floor it) it will accelerate until about 3500-4000 rpm and will not shift, It seems like it is either starving for fuel/air, or trying to shift. I have heard of it possibly being the Line Pressure Sensor. anyone have any ideas?