Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy S10 - GMC S15 and Sonoma Electrical Problems

KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
Here's the place to talk aboutr yuour S-truck's lack of electrons

Comments

• stormz8stormz8 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know why my seat would move on it's own. As I'm driving my seat will inch forward on it's own. Sometimes the seat will not move at all when I push the button to move it back to the position it was in. My truck is a 2002 GMC Sonoma SLS Crew 4x4 with power everything. Also, If I push both the 4 hi and 4 lo buttons at the same time, will it put the drivetrain into neutral/
  • stormz8stormz8 Member Posts: 3
  • cheryl4262cheryl4262 Member Posts: 1
    Don't understand what happened or what to do. Ran fine, then won't start. Cleaned battery cables. Started right up. Let it sit for a few hours then dead again. Battery eye is green (which is supposed to mean good), but can't get the dome light or even the keyless remote to work. Makes no noise when key is turned. Radio goes on and off in a series of 3. Does the computer need to be reprogrammed once the battery has been disconnected? Does anyone know if this is a more serious problem than replacing the battery?
  • flipper3flipper3 Member Posts: 10
    im not shure what exactly your problem is but the computer does not need to be reprogramed after a battery disconection that i do know. it does sound like you have a short in your wires though. i only know of one way to find out. break out the test light. hope this helped
  • hoodlatchhoodlatch Member Posts: 255
    Mine was/is doing the same thing. The cable is messed up underneath the plastersol coating at the battery lug. I can't see the corrosion but I know that's the problem. I can shake and yank the cable and it will work fine for a while. I've been carrying a replacement in the tool box but haven't got around to it yet.
  • annecrannecr Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 s-10. The wipers started wiping off of the windshield last week--as in way to the left. Tonight, they died. I want to try and fix this myself, any suggestions on how I might start this repair?

Thanks in advance,

Anne
    One winter the wipers on my 97 S-10 were froze to the windshield and covered with snow when I turned them on. They went haywire and I thought I messed them up big time. As it turned out they slipped on the spindle. All I had to do was loosen up the bolts that hold them down, reposition them, and re tighten the bolts. I think they were 7/16ths.

Maybe your wiper arms got lose on their spindles and got out of kilter.

Good luck.
    Awesome! I'll give that a try this weekend.
  • 83xcab83xcab Member Posts: 2
    I have an 83 x cab 4x4 and I bought a factory tach cluster, installed it and not the dash lights and gauges are going haywire when I turn the lights on, so i took that cluster out and put the orig back in same thing but they worked prior to any ideals.. i have replaced the headlight switch also..
  • afforteafforte Member Posts: 5
    I own a 2002 Envoy. The windshield wipers will not turn off, while the car is running, by the switch. The problem has been occurring off and on for about 6 months. Originally, if I turned the switch off and turned the car off, once I turn the car back on the wipers would stop. Now that no longer works. What is the problem? Which fuse controls the windshield wipers. Thanks, AFF
  • 83xcab83xcab Member Posts: 2
    I have an 83 x cab 4x4 and I bought a factory tach cluster, installed it and now the dash lights and gauges are going haywire when I turn the lights on, so i took that cluster out and put the orig back in same thing but they worked prior to any ideals.. i have replaced the headlight switch also.. A friend has the same problem after a v8 conversion PLEASE HELP
  • joho4241joho4241 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 97 s 10 and it will not start.. I think it is electrical because none of the gauges move when I turn the key on.. My sons think it is the fuel pump..I have checked all the fuses.. does anyone know what might be the trouble?
    :confuse:
    One of the things I did when I was trouble shooting my fuel pump was to give it a shot of starting fluid. It fire right up momentary as long as I kept squirting the ether. This let me know I had a fuel problem somewhere.
    Sound like a relay sticking. :)
  • charlotte40165charlotte40165 Member Posts: 2
    Try your switch under the hood where your windsheild wipers hook in at. I have a 98 s-10 and sometimes my wipers work and sometimes they don't but my switch is messed up
  • oldtexasgloryoldtexasglory Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1991 Chevy S10 and I am replacing the cruise control / turn signal / wiper lever. I have pulled the steering wheel and the turn signal plastic switch. I cannot seem to locate what holds the lever in place. Anyone have experience here that would help??

Thanks
  • ukievball5ukievball5 Member Posts: 1
    hello,
    I am new to the forum...I have a 2000 S-10 and just my dash lights went out today. I check the fuse and they are all fine..Anythought???

Thanks
    :mad:
  • wjs4wjs4 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 98 S10 with the same problem. When the wipers quit I wiggle the electrical plug from the wiring harness where it plugs into the wiper motor & the wipers usually work fine for awhile. I checked & cleaned the electrical connections but there doesn't seem to be anything wrong. I took the cover off the wiper motor & found a printed circuit board. The printed circuit board slides out of the motor. On the back side of the printed cicuit board is 2 electrical contacts that slide on metal strips on the main gear of the wiper motor. Carefully clean the contacts & the metal strips on the gear and reassemble the wiper motor. I found that my contacts & metal strips where covered with grease from the gears. This solved my problem for awhile but recently the wipers have been acting up again. I haven't had time to check the contacts or printed circuit board again but would assume there is more grease on the contacts. Hope this helps.
  • joho4241joho4241 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 1997 Chevy S-10. When I'm driving with the high beams on the lights flash off and on.. They don't do it when I swicth to low beam..any one know what the trouble might be ?
  • rostantrostant Member Posts: 7
    My 96' S10 headlights go out often when I driving on down the road. When they go off I hear a click click click coming from the glove box area. Daylight Driving lights are Ok, however the headlights are not functioning all the time. It's a problem because people think I'm flashing my lights at them. Any ideas on what it could be? :confuse:
  • mastae1024mastae1024 Member Posts: 1
    The circuit boards on the wiper motor is usually the culprit on s-10's. the board under the cover on the wiper motor. Take it out...look for the BIG solder joints and reheat. That should solve the problem. Or you can buy a new board at auto zone or somewhere for a small fee.
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    i read about the problem you had with highbeams on your
    s-10. did you get it resolved?
  • rostantrostant Member Posts: 7
    No I did not. Headlights now do not work at all.
    Driving lights are fine however, when I switch on the headlights I lose everything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • gmyersgmyers Member Posts: 1
    I'm working to fix a 1999 s10 with a headlite problem. By looking at the circuit diagrams in a Haynes manual 24071. here is an explaination.

When you turn on the ignition key the Daytime Running Light (DRL) Relay back feeds power to the headlamps in series. This means that the power is fed backwards into the left side head lamp "ground" circuit and power flows through the left head lamps into the Right side head lamps to ground. When you turn on the head lite switch it provides power to the DRL module that turns off the running light function. This power line feeds the Head lite dimmer switch to direct power to either the high or low beams.

Your description would seem to indicate that the DRL Module and Headlight switch may be working but power is not getting to or through the dimmer switch.
  • puttererputterer Member Posts: 3
    92 S10 Blazer digital dash problem. I have good power at connector, good ground, speedo and trip light up, ses and other bulb powered things work. NO fuel, temp, oil, or volt indications. Checked refreence volt out of PCM which was good. Is there a pull up relay or what to provide a resistive load to the LCD displays?
  • dan85dan85 Member Posts: 1
    Tonight while driving with my windsheilds wipers, heater, radio and spedometer just stopped working and then every once and awhile they would come back on.I checked the fuses and jiggled all the wires but didnt seem to matter. Any thoughts?
  • puttererputterer Member Posts: 3
    check for a floating ground on the back of engine if W vin. Top front if Z.
  • mvolekmvolek Member Posts: 5
    U have a short in the switch of your seat. Replace the switch and should solve the problem. The 4 hi and 4 lo is supposed to do that cause its a safety feature so it doesnt rip out the transfer case
  • catdugcatdug Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1995 S10 and when the regular headlight's are turned on there is no light from the headlight's....the high beams do work when it is selected and when the light's are off the daytime running lights are working aswell, it's just when the regular headlights are turned on i get nothing. Can someone offer any advice????
  • angelus2angelus2 Member Posts: 1
    I too have a 1995 S10 whose headlamps suddenly stopped working but the highbeams and daytime running lights work OK. About a year ago, I had a problem with the headlamps intermittently switching off and on; to fix, my dealer replaced the entire turn signal arm (with the wiper switch and cruise controls, cost more than $500). Am hoping the problem is NOT in that arm. Will welcome advice ... for my problem seems identical to that of catdug.
  • danglesdangles Member Posts: 3
    Hey There I am having a problem with my brake lights as they are staying on after I turn the truck off. I have just taken the fuse out for now but was wondering if there is a brake light switch or connection that is lose and where to locate it. Any help would be great thanks.
  • dtimothydtimothy Member Posts: 1
    2002 s-10 zr5 Every now and then when I start the truck the security system kicks in and I cannot start the truck until excatly 9 min goes by. Help has any one had the same problem? What can I do.
  • micahmillsmicahmills Member Posts: 1
    I have had the same problem with my 98 S-10. I have yet to figure out exactly what it is. but I can tell you what it is not. double check to make sure the brake light above the cab is not on. If that is working properly then it is not the switch on the brake pedal. Every mechanic I have talked to has tried to get me to change that, and I have and it won't fix it.

Mine has since gone from staying on all the time to just being on when the car is running, to not working any of my blinkers, to last night everything electrical just died when I pulled in my driveway. i am not sure exactly what it is, but if you find out let me know.
    I had a similar problem with one of my kids car. Come to find out someone had replaced one of the rear tail lights with a wrong bulb which was causing a feed back problem. It was acting really weird. After I got the correct bulb installed it went back to acting normal.
  • canufixitcanufixit Member Posts: 165
    HI,

The wiper motor may is probably wired with a hold in circuit. Once the wipers begin a cycle, a seprate/other switch closes and remains closed until the wipers complete the cycle and then the hold in switch opens (and Wiper motor stops). This is so that when you manually shut off the wipers in the up swing of a cycle, the wipers complete the swing and stop at the bottom.

I'd guess that this hold in position switch is bad, mis-adjusted or bent/damaged. I'm not sure exactly where iti is - but I guess on or in the wiper motor or linkage. If it's in the motor - you may need to swap it out. ...

LEt us know what you find ???

Canufixit
  • jdcramerjdcramer Member Posts: 1
    Having problems with blower motor not wanting to come on. This has happened twice in past week and a half but it would then start the next time I started the engine. Now it has stopped and hasn't re-started. Checked fuse - OK. Which relay on the firewall runs the heater/ ac blower? That is the next thing I want to check.
    I had the same problem with my 92 S-10 a couple of weeks ago. I replaced the blower relay first but found out the problem was the AC Heater Blower Motor Resistor Assembly p/n 10039426. Its about a 10 dollar part at places like Advance Auto Parts or Autozone and takes about 10 minutes to replace. On my S-10 its located on the blower housing, under the hood, on the passenger side. It has 4 wires going to it and 2 screws holding it on. It looks flat on the out side with wire terminals. Once removed, the underneath side looks like 3 coils hooked together and reminds you of something you would get in a Heath kit or a left over from "My Favorite Martian".
    Good Luck :shades:
  • johnant28johnant28 Member Posts: 1
    1999 chevy s10 2.2l Can a loose connection (busted housing) affect trucks ability to start/Affect the electrical systems overall. MY S10 has died and doesn't seem to hold a charge.
  • dashaldashal Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1994 S10 standard cab that runs great but is starting to get quirky. The brake lights above the cab (3rd deck?) are out. The bulbs are brand new and there are no fuses out, not that I can figure out the appropriate one anyways, but regardless they don't work. The regular brake lights are operating fine. Also the far left side of the dash board has gone dark. This is the section that has the switch to turn the head/parking lights on and off. There are zero fuses out in the panel, they are all fine and I have no idea what operates the light behind the switch orhow to access it.
  • dashaldashal Member Posts: 2
  • kevin2000kevin2000 Member Posts: 3
  • kevin2000kevin2000 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 Gmc Sonoma SLS 3 door stepside. My question is what would cause the lights to just turn themselves off. I live in southern ca and do a lot of canyon driving and on a couple of occasions my lights just turned off. I was able to turn them back on manually, but I do not need them to go off into a dark corner. any advice could help.
  • john180john180 Member Posts: 2
    I'm having trouble with the dashboard dials on my s10.Every thing goes out except the gauge for the battery and the oil pressure.They go off and on at random.i have changed the cluster and it seemed to work for awhile but it's doing the same thing again.
  • dropt4dropt4 Member Posts: 3
    Okay so I did some major work on my Sonoma where I had to disconnect my harnesses. Well I was putting everything back together the way it was. Everything is grounded and hooked up, but when I went to start it all I get is the little black boxes on the firewall making like this loud whining noise. I have power to everything, but the fuel pump does not prime and the truck acts like it is dead even though power is running through headlights and everything.

Can someone please help? I do not know where to start with this one. Anyone had this problem maybe with the boxes making this loud noise? Truck worked fine before I did the work..
    O and if it matters I have a 4.3l V-6..
  • jlleiberjlleiber Member Posts: 1
    Hello...I just installed a satellite radio receiver that sits on my dash and hooks into my cd player and cig lighter. In order to install it I had to remove my dash panel and when I put it all back together my instr panel backlighting and a/c control lighting doesn't work. Every other interior light works fine, cd player works fine, all fuses are fine....any idears???

Thanks
  • sharpspursharpspur Member Posts: 4
    My dash lights went out after starting the vehicle one very cold night. I heard a click from under the dash when they went out. I checked the fuses and all of the dash light bulbs and they are fine.

Any suggestions?
  • eugeneiiieugeneiii Member Posts: 3
    Recently my truck has been making a bubbling sound that I can hear from what I think is behind the dash. Initially I thought maybe its the coolant or the radiator? took it to the dealership and they said thats just what these trucks do after so many years because of a part settling? and that the newer trucks don't make this sound because of a electronic remedy that was made as an improvement... sound like a familiar experience?

Also my factory radio will not illuminate.

And..... now my reverse back up lights will not work?