Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

R-Class Transmission Issues

PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
Discuss R-Class transmission problems here.

Comments

• Options
    grannydgrannyd Member Posts: 2
    I bought my 350 in February, in June the transmission had to be replaced. Shifting between 1st/2nd and 3rd/4th catching and the service center replaced it so they ship if off to where ever they send stuff for trouble shooting. Still not as smooth as the other 4 MBZs we've owned. Anyone else out there having issues?
  • Options
    nomorebenznomorebenz Member Posts: 109
    Mine slips a little more than it used to. Not as responsive to acceleration and will go down my driveway backwards while in drive. I'm sure it's within the service tolerances, so I haven't complained.
  • Options
    maxxiemaxxie Member Posts: 8
    Got my R350 in July, today the "Check Engine" light came up. So it begins...
    :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • Options
    mb350usermb350user Member Posts: 1
    We are having significvant problems with our r class.

Since the day we picked it up it has downshifted very hard going down hill. We live at the top of a hill and every time down the hill at the same spot we get a car shaking jolt as the transmission downshifts. The dealer as we speak is trying to fix the problem for the fourth time. We have been driving a R 350 loaner for the past 5 days and it has the same problem only more often on more roads.

Has anyone else had the same problem?
  • Options
    grannydgrannyd Member Posts: 2
    I posted that my transmission was replaced in June. Still not the same feel as other MBZs I've had. Maybe that's why the price was dropped for 2007...
  • Options
    templeton3templeton3 Member Posts: 69
    We have transmission problems. Hard downshift on low speed. Service dept told me to bring the car back later because they expect a computer software update soon. Is the
    Dealer telling me the truth?
  • Options
    brianintnbrianintn Member Posts: 7
    Your dealer is shooting you straight. Actually the software update is out. I just had my wife's 2006 R350 software updated yesterday and so far the abrupt downshift has not happened.
  • Options
    nomorebenznomorebenz Member Posts: 109
    I had a bit of an embarrassing moment the other day.

I saw a friend, so I pulled over. I got out of the car leaving the driver's side door open. After a few minutes of talking, the car started to roll away. Yikes.
    I grabbed the car (it stopped), jumped in and put it in park.

Completely my fault, I had the radio on and hadn't noticed the warning beep. The car was parked on level terrain, which is why it didn't move immediately. On any slope, it will roll in reverse while in drive. Besides getting my head examined, I think it's time to take the car in to have the tranny looked at.

Honda has a nice system that doesn't allow the doors to be unlocked with the car in drive. It'd be nice to have that feature.
  • Options
    bluebabebluebabe Member Posts: 3
    your car does have that feature.. it can be set on from the drivers menu options on the steering wheel.. check your owners guide
  • Options
    diblondiblon Member Posts: 2
    I think I have a similar prob
  • Options
    diblondiblon Member Posts: 2
    I have a loaded R-350 2007 and after 2000 miles I noticed a lot of vibrations on the gas pedal when shifting between low gears and a tingling sensation when cruising betw 0-70 MPH. Dealer claims it is symptomatic of the R class because of its unibody build. I am still disputing the problems. The tingling sensation is killing me and my wife has refused to drive the car. It is not fair for a new car, much less from Mercedes. Anyone out there with the same issues? Help me out.
  • Options
    avneesh1avneesh1 Member Posts: 1
    I am having same problems and dealer is asking if any possible solutions? Please help if you had success.

Avneesh
  • Options
    pathekkupathekku Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2013
    We were driving back after driving ~15miles and suddenly we hear a loud thud noise while in mid of a Highway.
    The gas pedal wont respond and fortunately could safely park on the left shoulder and had to be towed to a dealer.

The dealer quoted $5200 for rebuilding the transmission. They found metal particles in the transmission fluid.
    Apparently looks like a manufacturing defect. Just came off of Warranty 4 mths back and had just completed the payments last month. Good coincidence.
    To top it all, during the recent oil change with the same dealer, the windshield and Coolant fluids were seen empty and warnings on coolant showed up.
    Contacted MB, got the same offer . No additional response. Appreciate any suggestion and if someone had faced similar issue.

A new transmission would cost ~7000+.