Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Hybrid Navigation System Questions

PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
Discuss nav system questions for the TCH here

Comments

• willybillwillybill Member Posts: 83
    OK, my friend and I have a question. The place where you insert the DVD for the navigation system has the usual DVD computer logo symbol on the drive. He contends that it would most likely play a movie DVD. I am not willing to try it.
    Has anyone ever tried it?
    Just curious..

:confuse:
  • bmgoodmanbmgoodman Member Posts: 102
    I don't know for certain, but I would vote "no". Just because the drive reads DVDs does not mean that the software has the CODECs to play a movie. COULD it? I would say so, but then they would have to add an entire GUI. They would also have to ensure a movie would not play while driving. Again, not impossible, but if you go to the trouble of doing all this, why keep it secret?
    Thanks bmgoodman, that is pretty much what I concluded.. I am not sure I want to be the guy to try it either.. with my luck it would mess up the NAV system and trust me, having that is better than trying to watch a movie while sitting still.
    I think that is still a pretty goofy idea.
    I have appreciated all of your fine comments here on the forum and feel that we all benefit from those comments.. Keep up the communication !

B
  • spectrabluespectrablue Member Posts: 28
    He contends that it would most likely play a movie DVD. I am not willing to try it.

It will most likely work. I cannot verify since mine is not equipped with NAV. I know it works on the Land Cruiser. Although if you are not stopped and/or have the park brake applied the screen will go black. This is a safety feature to prevent the driver from being distracted. Put a movie in and see for yourself. At worst it will just spit the disc back out and ask for the NAV disc. Let us know...
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    It should play DVDs and it you want to search the many Edmund threads athere have been software hacks to override the safety features to allo the DVD to play while the car is in motion and the parking brake is not set. Works pretty good unless hte driver trys to watch. But that is hard for most drivers to do since they are already reading, driving with their knees, taking notes and talking on their cell phone while driving already.

Having said that I don't play DVDs in my car and I don't talk on the cell phone while the car is moving. In spite of what humans think it is difficult , even with hands free blue tooth , to multitask and drive and carry on a cell phone conversation; especially those who talk with ther hands.

Now that M.A.D.D. has gotten so much press and legislation , achochol is no longer the leading cause of fatalities. It is now a close race between fatigue and cell-phone usage. While it is dififcult to control fatigue if a person has no common snses, cell-phone usage could be curtailed with porper fines and legisaltion. Hey it is happening with seatblet usage. Now all we need is the backing of MACPD ( Mothers Against Cell Phone Drivers)

Drive Safely by Shifting!

MidCow
    Thanks MidCow!.. I agree with your opinion, however, the TCH does allow a single digit speed dial with totally hands free operation. Both hands on the wheel and you can still have a short phone call. I don't advocate cell phone usage while driving, but if a call comes in, you can answer it with out leaving the steering wheel with your hands and not taking your eyes off of the road.
    Regarding the DVD thing, I can't really think of a time when one would want to watch a movie while in 'park'. Unless you are a youngster and 'park' for a whole different reason.
    Besides, I am not sure the battery could sustain all the accessories running for a feature length film.
    My advise... if you want to watch a movie stay home and watch it in HD.. it is much more enjoyable.
    Still, the idea intrigues me and I may give it a shot just to see if it would work.
    Thanks MidCow.
  • gc77584gc77584 Member Posts: 65
    But that is hard for most drivers to do since they are already reading, driving with their knees, taking notes and talking on their cell phone while driving already.

You forgot putting on makeup!
  • presbyterpresbyter Member Posts: 5
    Yes, at this time, Nav systems are not available in Canada - we can argue with the wisdom of Toyota's marketing decision, but right now you either do without Nav, or do without the TCH! My guess is that by about next model year, like about 10 months from now, the Nav system will be an option. They may even offer it as a dealer-installed option for present owners, but it sounds like that will mean taking out a perfectly good stereo, for which there will be absolutely no market, and you will pay 2 to 3 K$ (and US and Cdn will be about the same by then!) for a system that will have (then) out of date maps, and pay another 2 to 3 hundred for the DVD update.

May I suggest an alternative that works for me.

I have a Garmin Nuvi 350 that I transferred from my previous car. This has touch-screen programming, gives voice commands with a choice of accent (I've decided I like the English lady best), and can be mounted in your line-of-sight, rather than in the centre of the dash where you look down. Cost is $800 Canadian, and depending on where you buy it, shipping may be minimal. I got mine out of province, so did not pay PST, and with shipping the total cost was about $860 Canadian. (Do NOT get the Nuvi 360, which has Bluetooth phone integration - which would be redundant.)

The maps are as up to date as anything on the market, and Garmin will let you download the first map update for free, unlike Toyota, who charge for each and every DVD. My experience has been that everything in my town more than 18 months old is on the build-in map (which covers all of North America). I've used this unit for about 2500 km now, and it has yet to lead me astray - and sometimes it has found routes that are actually better than the ones I have been using for years.

It can be installed almost "invisibly" in the TCH. here is a rough outline of the process:

-plug the 12 V power adaptor into the outlet inside the compartment at the bottom of the dash centre stack.

-run the power wire down to the left, and through a gap which will bring it out somewhere near the "gas" pedal - you may have to reach in and fish for it, which might cause some lacerations - thin gloves are recommended.

-now run the power cable across the driver's side of the car, and up to the top of the dash, without worrying about how that looks

-mount the suction cup mount on the windshield in your line of vision just to the left of the instrument mount - be careful to leave enough room for the side airbag to deploy - about 3 inches in from the edge should do it (in the event of a driver's side collision the Nuvi will probably get trashed, but that will be the least of your problems.

-leaving a little slack, run the power cable to the corner where the dash, windshield surround, and door meet (with door open)

-there is a soft seal strip on the dash side running down the side of the dash, and the power cable can easily be pushed in between that and the dash, holding it, and totally concealing it.

-at the bottom, simply gather up the slack, secure it by whatever means - tape, cable ties, velcro ties - and then run it underneath the dash, securing it to wiring and under-dash supports with ties to keep it up and out of the way.

You can leave the 12V adaptor plugged in, as the power goes on and off with the "Start" button. The Nuvi head-unit is detachable, and you can take it with you when you leave the car parked in vulnerable areas. You can also detach it to connect it to your computer for software and map updates. If you like, you can purchase value added stuff, like electronic books that will be read to you while driving, language translators, tourist information, etc.

It works for me, your mileage may vary!
  • navguynavguy Member Posts: 61
    The navigation unit in the Hybrid Camry will not play DVD movies. The DVD-ROM drive is specifically for the DVD map disc.
  • hueristixhueristix Member Posts: 30
    I disagree that bluetooth etc. causes any more distraction than the ladies kids in the car next to me. If my cell phone is going to become illegal, then so should driving without a nanny! I have been talking, text messaging, checking stocks, eating, and more on our nation's highways for some time now- with no problems.

Some key points about this:

* I have used a headset for years, more recently a bluetooth headset.

* The reason I feel I can do this safely is I PUT DRIVING FIRST. Most people probably notice the difference when I am driving as I pause more, and sometimes pull the "IGOTTAGONOW!" A text message taking a few secs normally might take 5 mins when driving.

* The weather and traffic, and my familiarity with the area are factors I consider. Also the importance of the commmunication I embark upon.

* I hope most drivers don't do what I do as we all have different skills and capabilities. In fact, I don;t know how some of these knuckleheads get licensed- but if there were a "multitasking" test I guarantee I would pass.

At any rate, to stay relevant, the TCH with the integrated hands free, voice commands, and the steering wheel buttons helps immensely.

DVD's should clearly not be watched by any driver.
  • alp8alp8 Member Posts: 656
    See, the problem is that the cell phone is an ADDITIONAL distraction, not the ONLY distraction (for most people).

Drivers are distracted by their hot coffee or Big Gulp. And by the radio. And by their cigarette. Add the cell phone and a screaming kid. It's not just ONE distraction.

Volvo has been given access to all the vehicular accidents in/around Stockholm for the last 20 years or so (longer, I think). They study all of them. Word is that a rising % are cell-phone related. Most accidents occur in interesections or within a short distance from intersections. They learned that many of those people were receiving calls just before the accident. So Volvo plans to have a feature that puts your cell phone reception on hold before you eneter an intersection and until you are safely through that intersection. Yeah yeah, big brother, I know. So what. Once you are through the intersection, your phone will ring and the caller who called you - his phone will ring, and you will be connected. Sounds like a great use of technology to save lives (and money).
    Hueristix said: "I disagree that bluetooth etc. causes any more distraction than the ladies kids in the car next to me. If my cell phone is going to become illegal, then so should driving without a nanny! I have been talking, text messaging, checking stocks, eating, and more on our nation's highways for some time now- with no problems."

Let's talk about your statements.

In a way you are agreeing that "blue tooth" and "ladies kids" both cause a driving distraction. I agree!

However, driving with a nanny might be too expensive and there would still be some distraction. Many times, driving with or without kids is not an option. Yes, it is more dangerous than driving in a car alone.

However, driving with or without a bluetooth phone in use is the decision of the driver and can be controlled.

In spite of your superb multi-tasking capability, talking on a cell-phone takes away from the primary mission to drive safely. Even you admit to this with your "IGOTTAGONOW!" tex message response. Some drivers who are less multi-tasking capapable are even m more dangerous on a cell phone bluetooth or not. And you thaink that: text messaging , checking stocks and more is safe woah I hope we do not travle the same roads.

You further state "DVD's should clearly not be watched by any driver." Doe that mean I need to get rid of all the DVS I watch in my media room at home just because I am a driver?

I am going to buy the new Toyota Camry diesel hybrid with manual shift that is coming out in 2007. It has a 2.2 liter engine, goes for 0-60 in 7.5 seconds and gets 57 miles per gallon on the highway. It is called for short TCDH

Motor on Shift More,

MidCow
  • hybridriverhybridriver Member Posts: 77
    I am going to buy the new Toyota Camry diesel hybrid with manual shift that is coming out in 2007. It has a 2.2 liter engine, goes for 0-60 in 7.5 seconds and gets 57 miles per gallon on the highway. It is called for short TCDH

I went to Google to look into this. Nothing turned up. Where did you find out about it?
  • bmgoodmanbmgoodman Member Posts: 102
    This site could use some threading and some type of filter! ;)
  • gampagampa Member Posts: 78
    ...the Camry Diesel Hybrid...

Sound like "wishful thinking"

Maybe in five years

Gampa
    A rising % will "involve" cell phones because a rising # of people have the phones! That and a modern form of operator error. But don;t punish the rest of us.

If they release that kind of BS I will hack it.

Look, I choose to use my radio AC and phone WHEN SAFE.
    If I TXT it boils down to 1 character here and there,
    my eyes are off the road for a glance at a time.

If other people can't handle it, please, please hang up.

I see people talking, no headset, and swerving around, and I don't want anyone to think I am as such.
    LOL I knew people would imagine all kinds of dangerous stuff in their heads.

"Even you admit to this with your "IGOTTAGONOW!" tex message response"

I was referring to voice, the txt equivalent is just driving and foretting about it.

"You further state "DVD's should clearly not be watched by any driver." Doe that mean I need to get rid of all the DVS I watch in my media room at home just because I am a driver?"

Are you trying to be silly? You know I meant- driving at the time.
    A rising % will "involve" cell phones because a rising # of people have the phones!

I am pretty confident that Volvo considered that when doing their analysis.

but maybe they missed it, and it has nothing to do with being distracted by the cell phone ringing

but that was Volvo's finding

interesting stuff, and, if true, a good use of technology

not as good as the camera that looks at your eyes, and when you become inattentive it jars you awake. That baby will be saving lives soon enough. (of course, how many nimrods will then drive-while-tired because they think the car will wake them if they doze off?)
    It is hard to prove stuff like this. Correlation does not imply causation.

The truth is mixed- I am not saying all mobile phone using drivers are indeed safe, but I am saying they are not all unsafe.

I promise you all I will minimize distractions while I drive. I love to make controversial statements and get flamed sometimes.

I used to like Volvo's quite a bit until Ford came along.
    I would actually feel safer in a Toyota or Subaru.

Another cool tech. is the cruise control that senses oncoming objects and shuts off- but like you were saying, could that encourage inattentiveness?

If all of this technology keeps up, the car will insist on driving itself like Knight Rider for "maximum safety" and I will be free to video/txt message, play mindless video games, or catch up on the latest crisis in the Middle East... :sick:
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    The truth is mixed- I am not saying all mobile phone using drivers are indeed safe, but I am saying they are not all unsafe.

There is no need to try to justify an argument like that. Anything you do while driving other than paying attention to the road and surroundings is UNSAFE.

My opinion is that people will continue to take chances and endanger other peoples lives. That's probably more fact than opinion but since I have not polled all people it is opinion.

You and others (myself included) will make decisions based upon our preceptions of our abilities (right or wrong)and continue to take chances.

I can't justify it, but I won't say it's not an unsafe action.

Personnally, I can eat a Big Mac with one hand and not drop lettuce and secret sauce on myself while driving. I don't know of anyone else that can do that. Am I incrediably talented? No, it came through practice and driving off the edge of the road a couple of times or learning not to jerk when I did drop something and wanted to see how bad the mess was. My opinion is that this is an unsafe practice. However will I stop? Probably not, but I do try to do it in the safest way possible. meaning I prepare the sandwich in my hand before pulling out onto the road.

Same with a phone. If I can answer with a push then I will. If I need to look away and dial I pull off the road (unless the road is an empty 4 lane - often the case in my part of the country). I endanger my life, it's a choice. I try to minimizethe times I may endanger someone else, seeing as it's not their choice. However either way it is not a safe practice.

No flaming here or we'd all burn in He_ _.
  • spiff72spiff72 Member Posts: 179
    Here is my new form of entertainment as I drive:

When I am sitting at a red light at an intersection (especially if I am first in line), and there is a string of cars turning left from the right of me onto the road I am on (does that make sense?), I like to watch all of the drivers as they pass in front of me making their turns. This works best when these cars are all going on a left-turn "green arrow" so they are all coming in quick succession.

I watch to see how many of them are holding a cell phone up to their heads. The other day (actually the first time I actually counted) I counted 4 of 8 as being on the phone. I was surprised (even though I shouldn't have been) by the 50% "success" rate!

I don't know why I am sharing this, but it seemed to fit in with this conversation!
    You are absolutely right. There are a lot of posts that do not say or contribute anything. Two quick examples #2006 and #2008.

What safety issues does the THC have?
    (1) Heavier ? braking and handling problems
    (2) Battery explosions
    (3) software fialure of HSD similar to Prius "
    (4) safety corners cut to achieve high MPG ?

Concerning a better mouse trap, post #2004, pipe dream yes about a Hybrid Diesel, but Toyota designers and developers read these forums and obtain future ideas. Build it and they will come. LOL Google doesn't work for pre-prototype models.

YMMV,

MidCow
  • hamm3rhamm3r Member Posts: 55
    These forums make thread-following very ugly!

The place where you insert the DVD for the navigation system has the usual DVD computer logo symbol on the drive. He contends that it would most likely play a movie DVD. I am not willing to try it. Has anyone ever tried it?

Response 1
    I don't know for certain, but I would vote "no". Just because the drive reads DVDs does not mean that the software has the CODECs to play a movie.

Response 2
    It should play DVDs and it you want to search the many Edmund threads athere have been software hacks to override the safety features to allo the DVD to play while the car is in motion

Response 3
    It will most likely work. I cannot verify since mine is not equipped with NAV. I know it works on the Land Cruiser

Repsonses regarding safety and multitasking while driving have been omitted :P

OK, I put the DVD "Dora The Explorer" into the DVD/Map slot and the system started smoking and burnt out my whole audio and NAV system!

All kidding aside...I did put the Dora DVD in, and all that happened was that I got a message on the screen that said something like "invalid map DVD". The system would not continue until I ejected Dora and put the map DVD back in.
    VERY FUNNY !!! I thought your response was terrific. Thanks for confirming what we all thought would happen.
    SOOOO glad the drive DIDN'T smoke !
    :-)
    yeah but you gotta hack it first!

this was expected.

Concerning a better mouse trap, post #2004, pipe dream yes about a Hybrid Diesel, but Toyota designers and developers read these forums and obtain future ideas. Build it and they will come. LOL Google doesn't work for pre-prototype models.

Apparently, diesel-hybrid has been built before in limited numbers. The timing on this is uncanny. I was going through some old magazines today to cut out articles and throw away the rest of the magazine and I found this in the Feb '05 Pop. Mechanics regarding this issue:

For those who don't want to view the image, here's what it says:

The Best of Both Worlds
    If diesel is good and hybrid is good, why not a diesel/electric hybrid? Actually, diesel/electric combinations abound: Most diesel locomotives are really diesel/electric. There are now several diesel/electric hybrid buses operating in U.S. cities. But there are problems with creating a diesel/electric hybrid family hauler. Diesel engines are heavier than their gasoline counterparts, creating packaging prolems when coupled with an electric motor. The Dodge Ram Contractor Special offers a diesel with an electric motor. But only a handful were built. As diesels are refined and the electronics that allow smooth hybrid operation improve, we hope to see more.
    http://ww2.itguy.net:81/diesel-elect.jpg
  • hardchemisthardchemist Member Posts: 61
    The latest diesel engines from the fatherland are aluminum block with iron cylinder sleeves. So you get the bost of both worlds. For example, the new Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel that's coming out in a few months has a 3.0L Mercedes diesel, putting out 215HP and 376 lb-ft of torque.

So in a nutshell they are MUCH lighter than diesel engines of yore....And ripe for being incorporated into a hybrid system!
    RIPE!!!

(I just like to say "RIPE!")
    :P
  • jjfcincyjjfcincy Member Posts: 7
    I am trying to assess the value of having the NAV on the TCH I am ordering. Dealer can only get the color (Mag Grey) without NAV after being on the list for three months. I do not need NAV for driving instructions as rarely travel out of the city I have lived in for many years. Primary reason for justifying it is that I currently use bluetooth on my current vehicle (Acura TL) as well as XM radio and was assuming the display of the NAV on the TCH would be far better for these two purposes. However I test drove a TCH recently with NAV and during the test drive my salesperson riding with me said that when driving the only thing showing on the NAV is the street map (for safety reasons). Neither the bluetooth or XM were enabled. Not worth the extra 1800 option if I can't see phone book information, get in depth satellite radio info etc. Would appreciate it if someone with NAV would enlighten me as to the advantages of this option.
  • mharris813mharris813 Member Posts: 20
    Wow, you sound like THE person to ask... I am driving a TL on loan from the dealer, and actually drove a TCH today, and am seriously considering changing my mind to buy a TCH. I love the performance of the TL, but do not like the stiff ride.

We have a 99 camry, and love the car. The ride is great. We were both taken by the amazing ride and the way the TCH drove!

I did ask to look at the toyota NAV, cause I LOVE the way the TL nav works, and wondered if the toyota would be the same. There WERE some differences! I'd really like to see the ACTUAL TCH NAV too! You bring up valid points, so you think that you cannot access the XM or phonebook while in NAV???

Any input you could give on your opinions of the ride in the TL, and how you see the two compare?

THANKS!!!!
  • sibbaldsibbald Member Posts: 106
    "Any input you could give on your opinions of the ride in the TL, and how you see the two compare?"

A good friend gave me his 2006 TL for a week when he went away. I liked the car and absolutely loved the NAV.

However, my wife hated it because of the ride. You feel every bump and with sitting lower, it feels like you are going faster than you actually are. As someone who has a motion (sickness) concern, this was definitely not the car for her! She loved the TCH and we have placed our order.

ps I extensively researched the TL sites on Edmunds and didn't care for all the quality control issues, particularly with the interior finish and rattles.

Cheers, Tom
  • jjfcincyjjfcincy Member Posts: 7
    I have a 6 speed TL which is even stiffer supsension than the automatic. You do feel every bump but it is fun to drive with a lot of low end torque that makes it very quick. Do not have the NAV in the TL but familiar with how they work. Voice activation in TL is great - hope it is as good in the TCH. DVD Audio in TL is incredible. Premium gas at 20 mpg is a downer.
  • taxjerktaxjerk Member Posts: 8
    If you can afford the extra $1200, you should definitely opt for the navigation system.

Advantages:

Navigation system is top notch. Street names are labeled; grid changes colors (white during the day and black at night) to make the display easier to read during different times of the day; when using route guidance, each exit or upcoming street is previewed/labeled (not actually sure how to explain it)...nevertheless, it's an awesome feature. It's a far better navigation system than what's in the two Lexus navigation systems I've seen...maybe a generation or two back.

The navigation display becomes a keypad for your bluetooth phone. I've uploaded my phone book via bluetooth connection and have gotten used to not touching the phone at all when I'm in the car.

Stereo functions are probably similar to the non-nav functions but the touch-pad on the nav system may provide a user-friendly interface.

The consumption views are the most beneficial in my opinion. I'm afraid that I'm watching the display (real-time display of how the ICE and electric motor are interacting with the front axle and how everything is interacting with the battery) more than I'm watching the road. It's a lot of fun driving the car. It's a lot more interesting driving the car and knowing exactly what's going on with the engine and how my driving is affecting the vehicle.

Disadvantage:

It'll cost approximately $1,200. If that's not in your budget, you may want to opt for other options (i.e., sunroof or leather seats)...although, I believe getting the nav really enhances the other functions you have in the vehicle.
    I'm not used to using a NAV system but so far the coolest thing I've found is that it will show the upcoming exits graphically and visually show you with a blur arrow what lane to be in. That's critical in traffic where the exit is perhaps on the left rather than the right. I don't know how many times I've been in the wrong lane and either missed the exit or had to squeeze in another line of traffic
  • mharris813mharris813 Member Posts: 20
    I am just hours away from ordeing our new TCH! I've been test driving an Acura TL for a week, and am on my way to returning it this morning. :P

Can you tell me, can you easily switch between Nav and say, the phonebook, and XM radio? I've become spoiled by the TL Nav, and am hoping that this is also the case with the TCH nav!

I was very relieved to read somewhere this weekend, that there is an upgrade due to be released this month (?) that will hopefully fix some of the things that I have been reading about, and was slightly concerned with, so I will be sure to negotiate that in the deal!!!!
    Can you tell me, can you easily switch between Nav and say, the phonebook, and XM radio?

Someone else needs to address this. I don't have XM or a bluetooth phone yet. I can't see where it would be a problem though, switching between the radio and the FE Consumption screens and the NAV is simple
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    I'm not certain about the TL but in the Camry's there is a steering wheel button for 'Map' which will take you to that screen.

I am guessing frankly since we haven't had any programmed with XM that the 'MODE' button on the steering wheel toggles from FM1, FM2, AM, SAT, CD and back to FM1. Can anyone confirm?

There is a 'touch' button on the 'INFO' screen for 'telephone' which should bring up the phonebook. BT users?
    Can you tell me, can you easily switch between Nav and say, the phonebook, and XM radio?
    I do not have XM, but I have very easily switched between NAV, Phonebook, FM, and Aux. There are separate keys for each, just hit the key and you are good. It even works while you are on a live phone call.
  • camryhybrid2camryhybrid2 Member Posts: 13
    Has anyone been able to use all the voice commands listed on the back page of our Navigation System Quick Reference Guide? So far, I have been unable to find the right screen to use the climate control voice commands. Also, according to the Online Navigation Tutorial at toyotaiguide.com, there are more than 100 voice commands available. Does anyone know how to find these commands? Thanks.
  • hmwellshmwells Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know how often the DVD for the navigation system is updated? Also, would I have to purchase an update DVD through the dealer or is there a third party who would sell them?
  • camryhybrid2camryhybrid2 Member Posts: 13
    Hello All,

I am having difficulty to input twenty numbers of voice tags into my Nav system for the hand-free bluetooth cell phone I installed. I am unable to get the screen as shown on page 125 of the navigation system manual. Any help I can get will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • drat4drat4 Member Posts: 7
    Have only done one! If you have already put in the data and are returning to put in voice rec for those phone book entries, you need to scroll down with the bottom left arrow to the next line while in the "edit contact screen" there it will allow you to add voice rec for that entry.
    Hope that's what your looking for!!!
  • resa_80resa_80 Member Posts: 2
    I have never owned a navigation system before and I am debating on getting the TCH with the full package or the standard. How accurate is the navigation system in the TCH?
  • resa_80resa_80 Member Posts: 2
    I have never owned a navigation system before and I am debating on getting the TCH with the full package or the standard. How accurate is the navigation system in the TCH ?
    just get it

or buy yourself a portable one

they are great, and I am a BIG map fan

still, NAV systems rock
  • terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    Within 50 feet or so, in most cases, I have found.

All those GPS deals, with the street maps, I liken to a Microwave. If you are old enough, you will understand. Before any of us bought one, we couldn't figure out why we really needed one, and afterwards, couldn't understand how we did without! :P

But when you absolutely have to get to that wedding/hospital/vet/party/concert/play, and you are running late, and have no idea how to get there, it will pay for itself many times over in saved nerves and arguments with your partner. ;)
  • gc77584gc77584 Member Posts: 65
    I got the base TCH and am now experiencing Nav System envy...not for the navigation features, but for the additional battery/FE displays! I'm serious. If I had the chance to do it over again, I'd probably spend the extra $$$ for Nav.
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    I have never had a NAV system before, and couldn't have cared less if i got one this time, but I choose to get it on the TCH only because of the added Hybrid exclusive screens, and am very happy that i did.

With that said, the NAV is handy, and I will probably get used to it, (and need it on my next car!) altho I know almost all streets in my town...it think it will be handy when travelling.
    The most valuable reason to have a NAV system, hands down

Step 1: Program your home address into your nav system
    Step 2: You are in an unfamiliar neighborhood. You tell your nav system to get you home. IT GETS YOU OUT OF THE UNFAMILIAR NEIGHBORHOOD.
    The most valuable reason to have a NAV system, hands down

This weekend I was visiting at Buckeye Lake near Columbus Ohio. I had the location of the house we were staying at in my NAV system. On an excursion into Columbus, without a map, there was a wreck and I jumped off the main road. I also went north of town to get a diet coke. When I turned the NAV on it guided me out of the maze of streets back to I70. Several times I didn't turn when it told me to because I wanted to go another block or see something down the street and it simply recalculates the route to get you back. I did this about 10 times until I decided to follow it back. It's nice to that when on an interstate and the exit is to the left (not common in WV) it tells you in advance to get in the correct lane. THAT's really nice in traffic.

As far as accurate it still has flaws. Once you zoom in on smaller streets all of them don't show up and sometimes the NAV is simply off of the road. I found driving into Dresden the road we took was not on the NAV.

Also driving around the lake was neat. My relatives had not found some locations using a map and just driving around. I could zoom in and then touch the screen to see where roads took you or if they dead ended prior to driving further. It's like having an atlas with you for everywhere in the US. I just wish it was more up to date.