Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Suburban and Tahoe AC and Heater Problems

Comments

• pameladpamelad Member Posts: 3
    I've seen many comments of the heater stuck in defrost mode but what if the heater works great on either side of the car but the defroster won't blow at all!
  • nosagroynosagroy Member Posts: 5
    edited November 2010
    my 2001 suburban rear heat blend door isn't working. I have tried replacing with a new rear air controller and also a new blend door actuator. The blend door does not seem to be stuck because I can manually rotate the door quite easily and then get hot air. however, when I turn the air/fan off the blend door goes back to the default position and then I get cold air again. Anyone have a good suggestion for me what else I can try?
  • smansellesmanselle Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2010
    I have a 06 Chevy Tahoe and recently we have been having issues with our climate control system. For the most part the fan is not working. There have been a few times that it will kick in suddenly. But if we tried to adjust the strength of the fan or the temp it would shut down...???!!! We have checked the fuses under the hood and in the door, none of them seem to be out. You can feel the heat but the fans are not working. Any suggestions?
  • lonman111lonman111 Member Posts: 1
    Same problem as #192 (smanselle): Lights on ac / heating control panel light up, but fan / blower does not blow at all. Kicked on once or twice, but not at all since. My brother said he had changed out some sort of switch behind that control panel. I would also like to know how to remove the plastic ring which will allow me to get to the panel...thanks in advance...lonman111
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    smanselle,
    I would suggest taking your vehicle in to your dealer of choice. Please keep me updated on your progress.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • msksmsks Member Posts: 3
    Did you ever find a fix for this. I seem to have the same or similar problem on an 02.
    Thanks
    No. I found that the actuators are working, but for some reason I am not getting a signal from the front headliner controler to the actuator that turns the blend door. For now I just manipulated the actuator to default to the max heat position. I think it could be a bad control module, but I don't have a lot of money and don't want to take a chance and buy a $70 part and find out that wasn't really the problem.
    Where's the controller located?
  • 213jg213jg Member Posts: 2
    Did you ever get this fixed? I have the same problem!
    The controller is located in the headliner at the very from of the cabin just above the rear view mirror
    Sorry that was a dumb question. The controller in the overhead, does that adjust the rear auto climate control in the auxiliary or is there a control module for the rear besides the rear seat over head controller?
  • lkibby1lkibby1 Member Posts: 1
    Have you had any help getting this fixed any ideas would be appreciated
    There were two controllers. One at the front of the vehicle just above the rear view mirror and the other in the head liner centered just behind the front seats. The controller just behind the front seats in the headliner was removed by a previous owner to install a DVD/TV screen. The only controller for the rear air now is the controller just above the rear view mirror. After the addition of the TV screen the single controller did operate changing the blend door correctly. Today the fan speed controller works correctly, the adjustment for air to be at the feet or out of the headliner works correctly, but the temperature adjustment does not adjust the blend door.
  • rance4rance4 Member Posts: 1
    My 2007 Tahoe's front A/C vents do not have air coming out of them. It appears that the vent control is stuck on the floor and windshield and will not change. Any ideas on what could cause it to quit working?
  • spreadeaglespreadeagle Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 Tahoe and luckily I purchased an extended warranty when I gave the car to my 21 year old son to drive during his last year of colege. The vents started act strange: with the AC on they would blow only hot air. To stop the hot air, we had to turn the car off, wait about 10 seconds, and restart the car. We took it to the local dealer and their test equipment showed that they needed to "replace the air inlet, left mix, right mix and mode actuators". The total bill for this was $1909.04. The company that sells the extended warranty sent a rep to verify the problem before they would agre to pay to fix it. I'm glad I only had to pay the $100 deductible. My 2005 Suburban has had the same problem a couple of times, but I have no extended warranty. Maybe I need to buy one soon....
  • golfer29golfer29 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2003 tahoe with front and rear automatic climate control. the front works fine. the rear unit fan, and one of the damper actuators work. it switches the air from ceiling to floor when the control knob is moved from cool to warm. the actuator that switches from cold to warm or blend does not work. if the entire cabin is cool from the front ac the rear fan will slow down as is it is supposed to. there is hot water going thru the heating coil. the cooling coil does not get cold and thus i get no cooling in the rear. i really don't care if i get heat in the rear but i need cooling in the rear as i live in louisiana and it gets quite warm here. also the rear aspirator makes an intermittent knocking noise, come and goes. does anyone have any solutions. the refrigerant charge seems to be ok with the proper guage reading.
  • cary27519cary27519 Member Posts: 5
    I had similar problem for front A/C for two years, found good mechanic and he change heater control valve that fix my problem. Part cost me $68 and $80 labor.
  • racemn38racemn38 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 07 Suburban. About a week ago the air quit working. It still blows, but just hot air. I have checked all fuses and relays ( I think). I don't hear the compressor kicking on or off. Any Help??? I hope it's not the compressor as I am about 12,000 miles out of warranty.
    racemn38,

I would encourage you to have the vehicle diagnosed by your local dealership. Please keep us posted when the issue has been taken care of.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • racemn38racemn38 Member Posts: 2
    I had the vehicle checked at local dealership. It was a leaking seal. Thank goodness. $235.00 later we now have COLD air again.
    racemn38,

Glad to hear the air is now working! If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact us directly.

Thank you,
  • yysgirlyysgirl Member Posts: 3
    I am having the same problem. Is there a sensor that needs to be changed or protected?

Thanks so much for any help that you can provide. I do not want to have to spend hundreds of dollars that I do not have to find out that it might be something simple and inexpensive.
    yysgirl,

Were you planning on having this issue looked at? Please keep me posted when the issue has been taken care of.

Thank you,
  • dstraubdstraub Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for helping-our 2005 suburban air-conditioning fan only works on fan setting bar 3, on the other settings the fan shuts off. The rear fan has no problems. Is this a function of the controller going bad or does it have to do with vacuum lines?
    dstraub,

Were you planning on taking the vehicle in to be looked at? Please keep us posted when the issue has been taken care of.

Thank you,
  • klbutle1klbutle1 Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2011
    I was looking on the site for the exact same problem with my 05 Tahoe T... Help any idea. single mom in AZ :sick:

'05 Tahoe with digital climate controls and dual AC. The front AC does not blow anything at all when stopped, when you start moving it starts blowing after about 20 mph. It will only blow at 1 speed regardless of what you select even if it is on automatic. Rear AC works fine. Anyone have any ideas?
  • klbutle1klbutle1 Member Posts: 2
    05 tahoe AC fan does not blow when setting still

'05 Tahoe with digital climate controls and dual AC. The front AC does not blow anything at all when stopped, when you start moving it starts blowing after about 20 mph. It will only blow at 1 speed regardless of what you select even if it is on automatic. Rear AC works fine. Anyone have any ideas?

I found 3 other postings with the same exact problem make, model and problem description
    no resolution to it. help would be great full :sick:
    klbutle1,
    I apologize for your concerns. Have you spoke with your dealer? If you would like to send me your VIN I will look into recall information for you. I look forward to your response. Have a great weekend!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • babyads04babyads04 Member Posts: 1
    I have had problems with my A/C since March of 2010 and it is now June of 2011. I recently received a letter from GM concerning this problem. The letter is a special letter concerning the HVAC system, the interface module, the blower motor resistor, and a few other electrical devices connected to the blower controls of the vehicle. This is not a recall as specified by GM. It only affects some 2003 year model Tahoes. Your vehicle must be in this category for it to qualify. I had problems with the controls turning the air on period! I took it to a local mechanic to have it checked to see what the problem was and the mechanic told me it was the interface module that controlled the air being turned on or off. He replaced a fuse and told me that it would run temporarily on 1,2,3, or 5, but would blow a fuse if it was turned to 4. At this time I had a 3 month old baby and knew that it would soon be hot. I was currently unemployed and my husband was the only one providing an income at that time. We had no extra money to have the vehicle fixed. Under the conditions of the letter it stated that the vehicle had to be under 150,000 miles or within a 10yr period, whichever came first. As most people would have more than 150,00 miles on a 2003 vehicle by this time especially if it has been driven. This specific Tahoe has 172,250 miles on it. After having the blower motor resistor replaced in April 2010, the a/c was in working condition for a temporary time period. We still have been unable to have the interface module replaced due to lack of funds. I have been unemployed since 2008 and have not found work yet, where I live. Jobs are scarce and it is hard with a family of 5 to take care of these unexpected type of issues when they occur. The A/C blower only works on 5 now and this has recently occurred. I spoke with GM Customer Care Assistance and they provided me with a case# and said that they would look into this further. I was told they would call the local dealership that I had chose to have the vehicle worked on if they decided to cover. They told me that they would call between 1 and 2pm that day to let me know what they decided. I never received a call back concerning the issue until the next day. Then I was told that it would take a little longer to come up with a decision. They called back later the same day to let me know that their decision was that they were not going to do anything about it. My vehicle was out of the mile range but was still under the 10 year time frame. I don't think that it is fair that they are not covering a problem that was a manufacturing defect and that there was an issue with this on many vehicles or otherwise they would have never sent a letter out concerning this problem. I know that GM can't fix every problem that occurs, but this is about a $172.00 part that I am going to have to replace if I have the extra money, and when I have the extra money. I was so hoping that since it was close to 150,000 miles that they would go ahead and fix it anyway out of common courtesy, but not too many companies know what that is anymore. Everything concerns the almighty dollar. Oh well so much for getting my A/C fixed!!!!!!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,777
    edited June 2011
    No VINs in the forums...

If you want to provide personal information to gmcustsvc, then click on their name and send them an e-mail!

Thanks!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• wbernhardtwbernhardt Member Posts: 16
    You know you would think after we all bailed GM people out of BANKRUPCY , you would think they would appreciate that and help you and me out. I my self have had gm vehicles (older ones and thought I would treat myself and wife to a newer vehicle so we bought an 04 regal with 58,000 miles on it. It is a nice vehicle . Guess what Transmission problems with it shifting hard. This has been a problem for years on that engine which is in many cars. No recall either but they know a problem exists. They have a service bulletin out for it. Guess what, they said they would not help us out because we were the second owners of the car. We can't afford a new car so we are penalized by GM not helping us and have to fix the problem ourselves. What I SHAME GM
    Think twice about buying GM again.
    I won't hesitate in buying a honda or toyota.

Good luck .
  • louislevanslouislevans Member Posts: 1
    My ac problem started when my rear ac stopped working in my 03 Tahoe, around that same time it would shake while stopped or in park. then about a day or two later my front ac started blowing out warm air only. I checked the Freon levels as well as fuses and they were good, so I took it to a Chevy dealership ($90) in which they said I needed a new ac belt. I bought a belt and had it put on, the rear ac still didn’t work but front blew cold. 1 day later, belt broke again so I bought a second belt and ac belt tensioner, which worked for a day as well. Now my belt broke again, so I’m back where I started.
  • highmiles2highmiles2 Member Posts: 2
    Recently, the ac and heat in my 2004 suburban does not work right. When I start the car in the morning, the ac works, but once the outside temp hits 75 it begins to blow cold air. Occasionally, it will work all day. Conversely, in the winter, once the temperature dips below 50, cold air blows. Additionally, I have two temperature settings 60 and 90- nothing in between works.

I have had the ac checked and of course the mechanics cannot replicate the problem in the shop. It has been suggested that it needs a whole new control unit? But, now I am thinking that it is somehow tied to an outside thermometer maybe? It is just so hot!!!!!

Any help is welcome. Thanks.
  • yysgirlyysgirl Member Posts: 3
    I have been on here for a year trying to figure out why my a/c would not work properly and could not get it to replicate for anyone else either. I narrowed the problem down to when it rains or when the suburban gets wet from below (large puddle or water from fire hydrant draining). Finally found a link not too long ago that directed me to the ambient air sensor (cheap fix rather than a whole a/c workover!) The part is under $35--though going to get my husband to check the wiring first. There seems to be 2 sensors. I am guessing that we need to check the lower one behind the lights because of the puddle issue. Here is a link to some diagrams that might be helpful. You will need to scroll down on the page. Plan to put this on the husband's 'to do' (nag) list this weekend. I am not a happy camper driving in a hot car in over 100 degree weather. I hope this helps you...(AND solves my problem TOO!)

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t80775.html
  • magilamagila Member Posts: 1
    Replaced my battery and now my A/C is blowing out of the defroster. Does anyone know of a computer relearn procedure?
  • grover103grover103 Member Posts: 1
    Calipaq, did you ever resolve this problem. I am having the same issue. Just had the AC recharged and front vents are ice cold but the rear blows warm air.

Thanks

Grover103
    No I haven't. My issue is regarding the rear actuator for the temperature control. The actuator seems to work I changed it out with the same actuator that controls the flow of air to the floor and headliner and it worked fine. Both have same part number. What I have narrowed it down to is that either the controller at the front of the vehicle is not working properly or their is a wiring problem and the controller works but the signal to change from hot to cold is not getting to the actuator. I my case I think it is the latter because the previous owner of the vehicle removed the air controller in the headliner just behind the front seats so they could install a a tv screen. I think they didn't get the wires put together correctly and that is were my connection problem is. I just haven't got the time to check it out yet.
  • ldreamazldreamaz Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2003 Tahoe.. I took my Tahoe to a mechanic, problem was:
    ~A/C fan blows in the rear once Tahoe is turned off. Found out that its what was draining the battery.. this after purchasing a new battery.
    ~Front A/C blows on defrost and feet only. This has been happening for a month now, but once it did blow from the front.. once!
    ~Rear A/C use to blow cold, but now its hot!

Mechanic says I have a module that needs to be replaced, $298.00 and entire A/C needs replacing $600.00 . Please tell me this is not right.. :sick:
  • bfowler979290bfowler979290 Member Posts: 1
    Alright people .. My a/c today decided to switch from blowing out of the dash to blowing out of the defrost all by itself. The control panel still shows that it's supposed to be blowing from the dash and changing the output on the panel does nothing. If I shut off the engine it will start blowing out of the dash again and then change back to the defrost after about a minute or so. This is a 2004 tahoe, Any ideas????
  • travelgirl2travelgirl2 Member Posts: 2
    I'm experiencing an issue with my A/C not blowing when I turn vehicle on. It takes approx 5 minutes to kick in, when it does it's cold air so that's a good thing however when I try to adjust the fan from blowing hard to moderate it does nothing then adjusts 2-3 minutes later. the kicker is when I turn my vehicle off - take the keys out of the ignition - open my door it's still blowing cold air and will not shut off and takes again 2-3 mins to stop.

Note: A month ago I had another issue fixed where the water was draining on my floor board and it wasn't the drain hose clogged, after two cleanings took it back again and there was a penny blocking the hose to drain outside.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
  • chap19chap19 Member Posts: 1
    When my i have my air conditioner on,and i put on the brakes at a red light it blows hot air,but when i pull off it blows cold again????
  • 1hoosline1hoosline Member Posts: 1
    When I have my air conditioner on,and i put on the brakes at a red light it blows hot air,but when i pull off it blows cold again???? I have had the chevy dealer look at it and 2 other shops and know one can figure it out. I have replaced compressor, orfice, drier, clutch fan and belt tentioner and still no fix.....Any Ideas??????
  • twintwo1twintwo1 Member Posts: 6
    I notice my ac start blowing hot air, If I turn off the truck am back on it start blowing cold air again. Now i see the hot air is just coming on the driver side of my truck ,the pass. side still blowing cold air, I think it might be in dual control swicth.
  • yaryaryaryar Member Posts: 1
    Hi all, we recently purchased a used Suburban and we are experiencing air conditioning problems. The problem is that the compressor 'cycles' on and off for 20-30 minutes before it finally kicks in and cools consistently. So, for the first 20-30 minutes the interior of the vehicle stays hot, which isn't good when it's 98 degrees outside and I've got 3 little kids that can't tolerate this extreme heat. It seems that with stop and go running around, the AC never fully kicks in, but if you jump on the interstate, it will kick in sooner. Any ideas on what would cause this??? The first time I took it to the dealership, they said they found a 'loose cowling', but obviously this isn't the problem, so I plan on taking it back again this week sometime.
  • hvylift47hvylift47 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Suburban and it has just started emitting and odor when A/C is operating and when the system is running, under the center dash a pink fluid is leaking from behind the plastic. System still cools and heats air normally.
    Any suggestions would help?
  • lopez1978lopez1978 Member Posts: 1
    The truck started making this weird noise yesterday that I have never heard before. As I stepped on the gas the engine sounded like it was revving up, almost like a loud fan noise. I parked it then this morning as I went to start it, it will not go in reverse. The drive seems to catch a little but in reverse it doesnt move at all..almost like its neutral. What could the problem be??
  • barney5305barney5305 Member Posts: 1
    my youngest played with our climate control suburban 2004, now the drivers side will only blow extreme heat, any one know what i need to do, i have taken out the fuses, no luck, disconnected the battery no luck. any ideas please
  • malaysiamalaysia Member Posts: 1
    Front air is weak until I turn on the rear air - then blows much colder. Rear air seems to work fine.
  • justsylviatjustsylviat Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 Tahoe with all the bells and whistles. The air conditioner (dual controls) in the front only blows cold air out of the vents when the Tahoe is traveling at speeds above 30 mph. At a stop, nothing comes out of vents. Sometimes if I turn the air conditioner off or on, it will work fine, but I can't count on it. The back vents blow cold air with no problem. It's 105 degrees right now. I need this thing working! Any ideas?
  • cary27519cary27519 Member Posts: 5
    I had similar issue with my 2003 Suburban. My michanic (Small Garage) change Heater control valve, cost $60 parts and $70 labor. Problem is now fix.