Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna Sliding Door Problems

Comments

• puzzled8puzzled8 Member Posts: 1
    I found your blogs by googling recalls for toyota power doors for Siennas. I figured if I was having problems that maybe there was a forum or some information of how to get this problem resolved. I have a 2002 Sienna and had not really had a problem until about two or three years ago. It has apprx. 76,000 miles. The power door becomes stubborn and will not open or close. You can hear it trying to work, but I have to push it all the way back so it can reset itself. Sometimes it does not want to budge. This problem occurs and then it just goes away and all seems fine. Until today, I am just fed up with it. I am the original owner and have taken it to Toyota at least 2 to 3 times with this door problem. But, it will either work fine for them or they would say they tuned it up and it seems to work fine and act up again and again. After reading these blogs and knowing your vehicles are having the same issues and your vehicles are much younger than mine, it is time to report this and have toyota fix this problem with a recall. Thank you for posting your comments, I thought I was the only one with this possessed power door.
  • frogstarjgwfrogstarjgw Member Posts: 3
    I fixed my door cable on my 1999 Sienna. Some of you have had this problem so I thought I would post a link to the details of the repair.

link title
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I have the exact same problem as familymandan.

The door opens fine, but neither the roof button or b pillar button will close the door as the hold open latch will not release. The manual handle has a cable the goes directly to the latch so this works still.

Anybody had any luck with this yet?
  • marycelerymarycelery Member Posts: 1
    I cannot get the link to work, can you post the link?

I have this problem and they want $1700 for the repair!!

Thanks
    mary
    Sorry I can't seem to post a direct link

http://polifrogblog.blogspot.com/

and scroll to the Sept 4 entry.

Or cut and paste the link below without the quotes to your address bar for a direct link.

"http://polifrogblog.blogspot.com/2009/09/i-fixed-power-door.html"
    My previous link was broken and I can't seem to post a direct link.

Try this:

http://polifrogblog.blogspot.com/

and scroll down to the Sep. 4 entry.

Or cut and paste the link below to your address bar without the quotes.

"http://polifrogblog.blogspot.com/2009/09/i-fixed-power-door.html"
  • ytnytn Member Posts: 1
    We had a similar problem with our 2008 XLE.

I suspect the problem is that sometimes the sliding doors don't go all the way back and lock / engage. When I disable the automatic doors and manually slide the doors back, they sometimes "click" into place. Other times they seem to just hit some barrier and stop (and can slide forward without engaging the handle).

With the automatic doors enabled, it seems the motor is still trying to completely slide the door back even though it stopped prior to clicking into place.

Anyone else have similar issues?
  • kelsosakelsosa Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 Toyota Sienna driver's side rear latch has had two bottom screws pull though the sheet metal. Leaving only one still attached. Causing my door not to close properly and becoming a clear safety issue for my family and friends. Has anyone gotten any kind of response from Toyota regarding this clearly a defect in the sheet metal and safety issue?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Office of Defects Investigation:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm
  • sienna_andysienna_andy Member Posts: 2
    Precisely the same problem. Door motor works fine, and the door opens and closes automatically using the interior or exterior handle. However whenever a button is used the door "hangs" and won't open or close.

Any solution? Would definitely like to try a "shadetree" mechanic approach if it is just swapping out a couple of actuators. Part #'s and any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Andy
  • jercaroljercarol Member Posts: 2
    My 04 Sienna's passenger side door is stuck wide open with a forcast of 1' of rain tonight! The cable is frayed and I took it off auto and it still won't close. I read where some folks cut the cable and used it as a manuel door.

A year ago our auto lock stopped working on the driver's side sliding door. The dealer wanted $600 to fix it so it has stayed a manuel lock.

I was shocked to see so many folks are having these problems I will be calling NHTSA. Does anyone know if a recall is in the works?

Hoping it does not rain......... :mad:
  • jercaroljercarol Member Posts: 2
    I cut the passenger side sliding door cable. Now I have a mauel door that works and I still have $1200 in my pocket.
  • sljbfamsljbfam Member Posts: 15
    My 2004 Sienna power sliding door cable snapped today. Its a good thing I came here and read all these post with the same problems for I will and cannot afford to pay $1500-$2000 to fix it. I did however read that you can cut the cable and use it as a manually door. So I cut the rest of the cable on one end that was snapped. And then cut the other end which was holding the door back from opening all the way. And there is a manual overide button underneath to the left of the steering wheel. And now the door operates like a manual door. No expensive fix, just have to take the hit on resale value when I eventually resell it. Although I don't think that will cost me $2000. The wire was pretty strong though my little wire cutters did not cut it, needed my big cable cutters. I too will send a complaint to NHST, for there is to many cable/door problems I have read here and it should be recalled for safety reasons. I will think twice next time I buy a van/truck that has a electric door opener for eventually that wire will break and most often it will be a expensive fix.
  • sienna_andysienna_andy Member Posts: 2
    Just to give a quick update. I did successfully diagnose and fix the problem that a few of us described. To briefly restate the problem for anyone searching, the interior and exterior handles do usually succesfull engage the automatic sliding door, but the door would not open using the key fob, pillar button or front button. The problem as familymandan surmized was related to the door latches not releasing.

Comparing my working door to my non-working door, it was easy to see that there was a small motor that was not activating. Normally, it activates when any button is pushed and even when the interior and exterior handles are pulled. (When the handles are pulled it's actually redundant, because the handles also manually release the latches.)

I found an interior door diagram over at tundrasolutions.com and identified the part by name as the "Door Lock Release Motor Assembly". Toyota sold me the part for $103.09, which seemed better than scouring the junkyards for me. The Toyota part number is 85620-08061. It's basically just below the window motor, and it's pretty obvious from the cables that it actuates the door latches.

Before ordering the part, I unplugged the motor and stuck my multimeter into the feed to make sure it was getting power. Sure enough it was getting juice, but was dead as a doornail.

Got the part plugged it (just while holding it) to test if the new motor would solve the problem, and was pleased to see that it was a clean fix. The last step, obviously was getting it installed. It's a bit of a pain to replace because the motor screws into the sliding door atachment control panel from the back side. The only way to remove that panel is to disconnect the window. This made me slightly nervous, but it really wasn't that bad. Working slowly and carefully to pay attention to how all the trim goes back it probably took a little under 2 hours to replace the motor.

All is working great now.
    Kudos for figuring that one out. :shades:
  • hotedmundshotedmunds Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 Sienna XLE power sliding door cable snapped yesterday. I turned off the automatic switch but still could not open it. Now only the left one is working and it is so inconvenient and dangerous. My kids have to exit the van on the inside driving lane of the road. I talked to a service rep. at a TOYOTA dealer in Houston, TX and he said it is out of warranty. I couldn't believe that when you buy a TOYOTA car you should buy extra or extended warranty service for the door, any door. It's a nightmare I dare not to imagine the remaining sliding door cable would snap ... WOW! It's a shock to me. Just wondering NISSAN, HONDA, HUYNDAI, GM, FORD, etc. mini van with power sliding door needs extra or extended warranty.
  • vadachavadacha Member Posts: 2
    I am in the shoes there, all have to say that congratulations TOYOTA you have 323+ broken sliding door Sienna vans in United States of America.
  • losangelitoslosangelitos Member Posts: 1
    Yes!!!!!! I just bought my 2004 Sienna a month ago and was shocked when I made a near escape with my life when my toddler accidentally pushed the button. I pushed back with all my strength thinking it would go back when it sensed the resistence and it didn't even slow down. If that had been my daughters hand I don't know what would have happened!

Does anybody have a solution or know what it going on with this issue?
  • ottawacanadaottawacanada Member Posts: 2
    I have sienna 2004 about 55K miles. We had issue with power door cable getting rusted. We didn't paid attention (our bad). I think problem started years ago, but we learned just now when cable snapped. I have registered problem with Toyota, they didn't help at all. I am using door as manual for now.
  • easyrider45easyrider45 Member Posts: 1
    My mechanic told me I needed a new module for one of my sliding doors on my 02 Sienna ($1200). A few weeks later I bought a new car battery and both doors started to work but in an erratic manner. One door will close automatically but, after latching, it opens immediately. My question is: Does this mean that the module Ok and that I can probably correct the problem by following the steps for a "reset" described in the Sienna manual?
  • hms1595hms1595 Member Posts: 2
    I have an '04 Sienna XLE AWD with about 68k miles on it. I will admit that i drive it hard, but i am having problems that i dont think should happen to a car that is only five years old.
    First, similar to above it takes about three seconds of turning the key for the car to turn on. Is this a problem or just something i have to live with?

Second. I live in Virginia, and it has been on and off cold here the last few days. Today it snowed. Tonight and in the past cold days when i have gone out to the car to open the doors (rear sliding) they have been unable to open. Whether the electric is on or off, the door will what seems like unhitch, and then it will not open or close. The problem is that i can not lock the car because the car thinks the door is open - or if it thinks it closed, lets me lock the car and eventually the alarm goes off when it thinks the door is open. I would think this is a problem caused by the cold, but i have taken the car to vermont on many occasions during the winter (in colder conditions) and never had this problem, even when the car has sat for longer.

I am looking for a suggestion on how to go about handling this. I believe the car is under extended warranty until 70k miles.
  • risarohrisaroh Member Posts: 1
    Both of the sliding doors on my 2002 sienna are giving me problems.

The manual door is locked from inside. I can open it from outside but not from inside (tho sometimes the lock switch mysteriously falls down on its own and it takes several tries over a period of hours to get it to unlock from outside also). The dealers tell me they need to take the door off at a cost of $100 to diagnose the problem, and then who knows what they'll come up with once they have me there. Has anyone had experience with this problem -- how was it fixed?

I know there are 3 other doors (no inside release from the rear lift door) but I'm giving this one to my daughter and want it to be extra safe.

I also have problems with the automatic door -- occasionally it will balk at closing, whether I use any button or pull on it; if I disable the auto button, it won't close manually either. I've been reading suggestions here and am kind of overwhelmed by the options.

We're looking for a new car and it's not going to be a Toyota!
  • hspangenberghspangenberg Member Posts: 2
    have same van in Ontario same problem. Tried all sorts of lubricants no resolve. Toyota dosn't want to help. This is very annoying and a safety issue. Very unhappy with Toyota. There are just like Ford I am always the only one that has that problem
    Anyone have any luck with Toyota or magic potion !
  • hspangenberghspangenberg Member Posts: 2
    My doors are froozen for 4 months out of the year. None of my neighbours vans have that problem not Sienna vans.Our van is in a garage but we have to drive it and at our destination it sits outside....... If Toyota replaced some weather stripping they know they have a problem. We have fullsize chev vans at work no doors freeze unless there is an ice storm. It is ridicoulus that they freeze up and we cannot use them all winter.
    Bought Toyota for a reason reliability not to impressed with them so far

Cheers
  • nowfyinowfyi Member Posts: 2
  • nowfyinowfyi Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Sienna XLE. Today its sliding door cable snapped...

Contacted Dealer and approximate cost to fix is about $600.00

After reviewing this website i feel like it could be a manufactures defect.
  • woodytwowoodytwo Member Posts: 42
    Hi carol.

Saw your blog but not much there. Sold my 04 Sienna to my daughter and now they have this problem with the doors freezing in Winter. They refuse to drive the van in winter as it is a safety problem. Have you had any further success or failure and what is your status with the dealer??

ps I live in Tillsonburg too. :(
  • toyotastinks1toyotastinks1 Member Posts: 1
    The same happened to our 2004 Sienna XLE today! I will be contacting Toyota and I hope you will do the same! I also have a problem with the alloy wheels pitting......Toyota would not do anything about that. This was my first Toyota purchase. It has been a bad experience from the beginning........never again.
  • DanCubsFanDanCubsFan Member Posts: 6
    Our doors have frozen shut as well on our 2004 Sienna XLE. I have had to replace both door cables as they have both snapped. This cost me approximately $3,400.00. I blame part of the failure of the cables to the fact that the doors have frozen and the excessive force that has been put on the cables trying to open frozen doors. I also have excessive pitting on the allow wheels. I have contacted Toyota several times without success. Have you had any luck?
  • riccicriccic Member Posts: 1
    mine is a 2004 sienna. the doors have frozen up every winter. today my daughter (120lbs)
    pulled on a stuck frozen door. it was minus 15C. the cable snapped. the dealer said 1700 dollars plus and no help from toyota. THIS IS A KNOWN PROBLEM WITH THE DOOR DESIGN AND TOYOTA CHOOSES TO HIDE>

Make my next minivan a CHRYSLER> I had far fewer problems with my Caravan ES.
  • fudbugfudbug Member Posts: 3
    Maybe no recall, but there are problems with the 2007. Our 07 Sienna has different one. The drivers side slider doesn't latch. This makes the interior lights stay on, thus killing the battery. Even with the light switch shut off it kills the battery because it senses the door is open an tries to draw the door closed all night. Toyota "fixed" the problem once still under warranty. about 30k miles . The next time it wasn't, and were told that it could be two different things, one might cost about $35o and the other about $800. The problem is the had to take it apart to see which one it was. Am I alone with this problem?
    The drivers side rear slider doesn't latch. This makes the interior lights stay on, thus killing the battery. Even with the light switch shut off it kills the battery because it senses the door is open an tries to draw the door closed all night. Toyota "fixed" the problem once still under warranty. about 30k miles . The next time it wasn't, and were told that it could be two different things, one might cost about $350 and the other about $800. Problem is they had to take it apart to see which one it was. Am I alone with this problem?
  • clark49clark49 Member Posts: 2
    I have the exact same problem on my 2005 Sienna. I can physically push on the outside of the door and the warning light will blink off and on as I apply and release pressure to the door.

It seems like a sensor switch is engaging and disengaging.

Have you found a solution?
  • clark49clark49 Member Posts: 2
    I just posted that I had the same problem with my 2005 Sienna. I located the sensor switch and thought it wasn't being fully depressed when the door closed. I added a small pad to the door to depress the switch further and it still didn't work. So I did some further investigation.

It turns out that there are 3 mounting screws at the back of the door that hold the latching mechanism in place. All 3 screws were loose. Once I tightened them the problem was solved. It requires a star head screwdriver which luckily I had.

Hope this helps. Better than $800+ repair.
  • alaskakathy1alaskakathy1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I live in Alaska and have a 2005 Sienna XLE. The first two years I had the vehicle there were no problems but starting last year, my sliding doors also froze shut. I took it to my Toyota dealer and was told "it's just a design flaw in the vehicle". I was told to wipe the doors down with a towel after it snowed or I was at the car wash and then spray everything with WD40 or Silicone. I've tried both and neither work. Luckily I don't have kids and just have resigned myself to not using the doors a good portion of the winter, which is ridiculous. Now, my gas latch is also freezing up and this morning I had to take my car to the car wash to unfreeze the side gas latch so I could get gas. Toyota should be ashamed since these vehicles aren't cheap!
  • alaskakathy1alaskakathy1 Member Posts: 2
    I'm the person from Alaska, and my father is retired. I forwarded this list to him and he called the Department of Transportation's Auto Safety Hotline.He and was told everyone should file a complaint and that the problems would be investigated. For what it's worth the phone number is: 1-888-327-4236. Toyotas are not cheap vehicles and they shouldn't make us go through this. In my case my husband had a wheelchair because he was a brain tumor patient. It was horrible not to be able to open the side doors of the Sienna. Kathy
  • vern54vern54 Member Posts: 3
    I posted my problems a year ago. I had all the same problems. Sticking doors, broken cabels, sensors in doors that don't work properly. Doors that seem to be secure and then the door not properly secure light, comming on while I'm driving down the road with the kids in back. My biggest worry was the doores not being secure and no indication of it. I found that the problem began in the mechinisum that grabs the metel loop that is connected into the door frame. The c shaped latch is covered with a plastic coating which when worn or damaged allows moisture in and the metel clamp swells up and binds the latch. No amount of lubrication helps. This would give me a false reading that all the doors were latched.....but while driving down the road the door not properly secure light would come on. Toyota made a big mistake by plastic coating a metel that would rust and swell up the outer coating from the inside making the latch not function properly. I feel this led to other problems like broken cabels and locks not working properly. Because if the latch itself is binding up when you try to release it and when you try to lock it. Well after all that I am glad to say, a couple of months ago the Toyota Sienna went by by and we now have a KIA Sedonia. You guies need to file the complaint to the department of transportation safety division. Only you can get Toyota to fix it.
    Did you have the dead battery problem too? I'm in New England so that doesn't help.
    It's only 2 1/2 years old so I would think it wouldn't be an issue
  • poorcarspoorcars Member Posts: 1
    My 04 Sienna has the freezing, latching and snapped power door cable issues. Apparently the local parts wholesaler (a Toyota dealer) has refused to give my mechanic any information on the parts. Two dealerships have quoted $3000 and $1700 per door (one for the old replacement, one for TSB 0085-09 - in that order). The first dealer wouldn't even acknowledge that the TSB existed.

I've logged the complaint with the NTSB. There are definitely safety issues, not the least of which are the doors not closing or latching open completely and the "door open" indicator not recognizing when the broken power door is open.

Toyota national consumer help line opened a case and promised to call back, but never did - it's been more than six months.
  • jjllcaljjllcal Member Posts: 31
    I really hate toyota now.. I was a toyota man... Not Anymore...
    We have so much problems with this van, I consider it is a lemon....
    List of problem
    1) Gas lick (flooded) after replacing the fuel tank.. took them 2 weeks to fix.
    2) Driver side front door has popping sound - welding problem- initially they refuse to fix until the recall got in.
    3) Driver side sit belt not easily release - wants $300 to fix .. Safty issue? Not fix yet.
    4) Steering wheel arm cushion broke - bad for driving and aligment- cost $700.00
    5) Passenger automatic door broke - require 800+ to fix claiming motor problem. took it to a independent auto shop , fix it for $200.00. The cushion of the arm that hold the door worn off and therefore the door is scratching the side of the car.
    6) the most current one... I do not know whether it is related to rain or not.
    it happen 2 times last week, It is very hard to turn my steering wheel when I am in drive mode, have to restart the car to solve this problem.

Do any of you have the last problem.. I am very afraid what will happen if I am driving on freeway.
  • fraph01fraph01 Member Posts: 2
    I tried to call Toyota only to get a machine. The machine said to call back later due to call volume. So, I suggest we all write a letter to the following address.

Ms. Kathleen C. DeMeter, Director
    Office of Defects Investigation
    National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
    Room W45-302
    1200 New Jersey Avenue, S.E.
    Washington, D.C. 20590

Make sure you detail the crap you are putting up with ... in a NICE way.

Good Luck and Be Well,
    Phil
  • fraph01fraph01 Member Posts: 2
    http://nhthqnwws111.odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/docservlet/Artemis/Public/Pursuits/20- 06/EA/INRR-EA06020-29185.pdf

When writing make sure you tell her why it is a safty issue. Refer to the above link and make sure not to use arguments that have already been dismissed.

Ms. Kathleen C. DeMeter, Director
    Office of Defects Investigation
    National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
    Room W45-302
    1200 New Jersey Avenue, S.E.
    Washington, D.C. 20590

Be Well,
    Phil
  • rootman1rootman1 Member Posts: 2
    Yes!!!! We have had this happen numerous times on our our 07 Sienna Limited and took it to our dealer several times and could not reproduce the problem. I finally DEMANDED that every part potentially related to this issue be replaced. My wife has had to push our kids out of the way as this thing will close for no reason and will not stop closing. That was done Dec 09 Well it has started doing it again just last week. We have also had numerous problems with interior lights not working or occassional flashing, the power rear seat not stowing and stopping halfway, the rear door not opening at all, etc. This van sucks. There are huge electrical issues with this thing. :lemon:
  • jjllcaljjllcal Member Posts: 31
    I file my complaint to NHTSA. I think all the owner should file their complaint to NHTSA,because this Sienna van is a time bomb. You do not know when it is going to happen. I took my Sienna van to a repair shop to check out the steering wheel not working (hard to turn during driving). They can not reproduce the problem. I really believe that the electrical or computer system is bad. I am just glad that when the problem occurred when the van is in the parking lot not in the freeway. :mad:
    That's a strong way to put it, but at this point the tide of negative publicity has Toyota cornered so they will have no choice in the matter.

The Prius will be added next, followed by the Sienna.

By the time all is said and done I bet they reprogram every ECU for models with throttle-by-wire to cut off the throttle completely when the brake is applied.

Just remember the Neutral trick until we hear more.
  • macdukepmacdukep Member Posts: 14
    Yes I have the SAME problem! Now the one door won't open at all, as if it is still locked. AND have the same problem as others where the door not shut light comes on when the doors appear to be shut. I now keep the inside liggh button OFF all the way since if the doors seem not to be shut the battery goes dead.
  • macdukepmacdukep Member Posts: 14
    I too took mine to dealer when it was only one door that was a prohblem. It would be about $900 to take the door apart and fix it. Now the other door is acting up. They used to stick when it was cold like they were frozen. Now the door won't unlatch when I unlock it. I am afrtaid of emergency too... what if you get in a crash and need to get the door open to get kids out? They can't all crawl through front doors from the back seats of a van. Is this another TOYOTA defect?
  • obrien64obrien64 Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2004 Toyota Sienna Minivan UGH! We have had numerous problems with our as well but the biggest is the sliding doors freezing shuit in the winter months. We live in Chicago, Illinois> After years of battles and driving the vehicle every single day to the dealership every time the doors froze shut for years. We have tried Bear Grease, WD40 and everything and anything else to no avail. Nothing Worked. Toyota finally came up with a new modling kit for the Sienna's but when they punched in my vin # my vehicle they said was not eligable for the kit and it wouldnt fit my vehicle. 12 months went by and out of pure frustration our dealership finally sick of me coming in with frozen doors and demanding a loaner car while they thawed out the doors. They ordered the kit anyway (FREE OF CHARGE) and tried it on my car. WOW SHOCKING IT FIT! Call your dealership and demand they order the new molding kit (FREE OF CHARGE) if they dont know what you are talking about call Grossinger Toyota in Chicago and ask for the service manager he will know what the part is. GOOD LUCK FELLOW FRUSTRATED SIENNA OWNERS. PS. I will never ever purchase a Toyota vehicle again.
  • cheranecherane Member Posts: 8
    My door crunches and snaps when I open and shut to find they have exstended the warrenty on this problem to five years or 100,000 miles. I went into this royal palm florida to be told I had to rent a car and they order a piece, while the toyota manufacture told they they would weld the piece. I walked out for the second time of this place, first when I had only 7,000 miles and my sliding door drirvers side stopped working... to be given the run around by this dealership to now 25,000 later I have no warrenty or help.

Has anyone heard of redoing something to the doors when the battery dies? My battery did die so I was told to re? to restore computer to the sliding door? I called toyota and they told me to take it in to the dealership... what a joke..