Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna Sliding Door Problems

Comments

• rnovakrnovak Member Posts: 3
    I am so sorry to hear that Toyota will not fix this problem! After 2 years and about $4000.00 of the dealer never being able to fix the problem, i took mine to an independent mechanic and disconnected the motor in the door and I use it automatically. We still have problems with the door ie the handles breaking off and it still gets stuck closed but it is much cheaper to fix. It's funny but Toyota does not seem to understand that when you purchase a car, at the least you want the doors to open and close.
  • kitcloudkick3rkitcloudkick3r Member Posts: 15
    Just an FYI, i have an 01 Sienna.. Mine had issues with the doors not opening or closing, or getting jammed. It turned out for me to be a simple fix. I took the door off the van, "yeah the neighbors were looking like i was crazy too". I ended up purchasing a cable adjuster for the cable that runs from the door to the latch. I removed the old cable, installed the adjuster, and welded a bracket to the inside sheet metal support.. Then reassembled the door, and put it back on the van, adjusted the cable.. Lastly i used Lithium grease on the latch and the moving parts inside the door to keep moisture out, and off the cable.. It has been good now for about 2 years.. Total cost was about 9.00 and about 6 hours of labor that i did in my garage.. This was after the dealer told me it would be about 2k dollars to fix..

Side note: doesn't void the warranty if they will never see it
  • jmor2jmor2 Member Posts: 1
    I'm very disappointed in the way Toyota is handling this warranty extension for the door issues on the van. I have a 2005 Sienna and the first time I brought it up to my local dealer was in 2009 and was told I had to take it to a body to get it repaired!! My doors still open and shut. They just have to be pulled closed and sometimes they jam but the kids are used to it and know how to work it so I never took it to a body shop, mainly because i knew it would probably cost btwn $2-3,000 to fix.
    Of course, I just got the warranty extension in the mail yesterday and now my car is over the mileage for the extension and after a phone call to the Toyota main office, they pretty much said too bad, so sad! I cannot believe that they won't step up and pay for this when they've known about this problem for years! There should not be any time limits or mileage limits on this issue.
    Toyota WILL NOT be getting any more business from my family!!
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    What is the mileage limit?
  • jjllcaljjllcal Member Posts: 31
    120000.... This is why they took their time for this extension....let the owner reach the 120000 and they do not pay anything... Toyota you sucks... :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • nevinnhnevinnh Member Posts: 1
    in case you did not get this yet - there is no number on the letter from Toyota. It has this at the top:

Certain 2004 to 2007 Model Year Sienna Rear Sliding Door Latch Assemblies and Power Sliding Door Cable Assemblies
    Warranty Enhancement Notice

good luck.
  • larz5larz5 Member Posts: 2
    Unbelievable is right. I got the same notice. They actually refer to it as a warranty extension rather than a recall. Anyway, my doors have been broken for about a year now. I have a 2004 Sienna with 113,000 miles. I took it in and they told me it wasn't covered because in my case they said they didn't work because one (apparently there are two) of the motors wasn't working and this part is not covered by the extension. To add insult to injury, they charged me $60 to diagnose the problem or in other words to tell me "too bad". Nice business practice.

I will never buy another Toyota.
  • nana1427nana1427 Member Posts: 18
    I took my 2004 Sienna in with the recall, I also was told it was not covered under the recall, my letter from the dealership said I would not be charged to diagnose the problem, so I showed the dealership the letter, so it was no charge to me. I decided to have the door fixed, it cost me $300.00, which I am happy to have the door working again.

I still have the recall, so if the doors break in the next couple months I`m covered, but I doubt I will have such luck.

I still like my Sienna, just sorry the doors have such problems. The dealership gave me a rental 2012 Sienna while my van was being fixed, it was much larger then my van, I really did`nt like that, just too long.
  • mugsismemugsisme Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2004 Sienna, and both doors stopped operating properly several years ago, after the original warranty expired. The drivers side non power door stopped locking or unlocking with the fob, and then the passenger power sliding door stopped opening or closing with the fob. I was real excited after getting this letter from Toyota. Took it in yesterday and they said both doors fail to meet the requirements for the warranty enhancement. They want $647.50 and $458.00 to fix the doors. What I don't understand is what this warranty extension actually covers? Seems like they are playing games. The letters says it covers "Power Sliding Door Cable Assembly", but the estimate calls it "Motor Assembly" My wife called Toyota to complain, and they took all of our information and gave us a case #, but said they would not do anything, we are out of luck. Seems pretty unfair. I only have 70k miles on this 2004 and have suffered for 3-5 years with these bad doors. Anybody have any ideas or suggestions on how to get Toyota to fix these? Thanks.
  • cheranecherane Member Posts: 8
    I only have thrity one thousand miles and since 17,000 miles I'v e had no sliding door. I'm seventy years old and no kids, none other in my 06 XLE. I've bought new toyotas since 1990......guess they don't give a smell today. I cannot even sell it for a decent price due to this situation. also I spilled coke on the drivers side and it ate throeugh the carpet, couldn't get to it due to this dam door.
  • jeanaejeanae Member Posts: 1
    WE FIXED OUR DOOR (!!!!) and hope this might help others: From inside the car, my partner (stronger than me) gave the door a good hard whack toward the back edge, and it cleared the jam.

I guess there could be other issues, but this worked for us. Good luck.
  • carofthedaycaroftheday Member Posts: 8
    Question for somebody or anybody: I have 2006 Toyota Sienna with 77K miles now. My van’s power sliding door stopped working about 1 1/2 year ago on 55K miles. Toyota dealer told me it will cost me $1500 to $2000 to fix it and that Toyota won’t cover this cost. Then I started researching and reading books on how to fix this problem myself. After a strong understanding, I started working on it and after 5 hours I was successful in fixing the problem. Today my van’s door works beautifully.

Recently, I found out Toyota is offering extended warranty on these door problems and they are ready to reimburse parts / labor cost associated to fixing these problems. When I contacted Toyota and asked them to reimburse me for my cost of part and labor, they reimbursed me for the part I purchased but denied to pay me for any labor cost. They said they would only reimburse labor cost from a Toyota dealer or any individual mechanic shop. They asked me for an invoice, like I mentioned I had fixed the door myself, I don’t have any invoice from a mechanic shop. So my question is, should I sue Toyota in ‘small claim court’ for not reimbursing me for my labor and inconvenience and if I do sue them what kind of result is expected? Please note again, they are ready to reimburse me if I had got the work done from any mechanic shop or Toyota dealer but they don’t want to pay me because I fix it myself. Waiting for your respond. Thank you.
  • mugsismemugsisme Member Posts: 4
    So, how did you fix it?
  • bdub3bdub3 Member Posts: 3
    We took our '04 Sienna to the Toyota dealership's service center today. It has 119,000 miles on it. We were told that it was not covered under this warranty extension because the warranty coverage ceases at 9 years after delivery date, or 120,000 miles (whichever comes first). They said that it's been longer than 9 years since delivery date so it's not covered. We are not the original owner. How do we tell when "delivery date" was?

I think that carfax.com can only tell you the year (not month and day) a vehicle was purchased (assuming they have record of it). I don't want to pay for a carfax report without knowing for sure that there's not a better way of knowing.

I do plan on asking the dealership when I pick the car up what they've determined the delivery date for our car to be.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    The manufacturer always knows the original in-service date because dealers are required to report their new-vehicle sales to the manufacturer. That information is entered in the Toyota computer system that any Toyota dealer can retrieve via VIN.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host
    Long story short by reading books and searching on the internet, I open the sliding door panel then inside there was a motor assembly, with motor assembly there was a actuator, that part was dead. I replaced that part after that my door start working. But it was long job and need good attention on every step.
  • jrmacjrmac Member Posts: 5
    Being a handy guy, I would like to know what book you read on this and what websites you went to. Also, can you tell me if your door was stuck shut when you removed the inside panel? If so, how did you do that? Thank you. My concerns are simply from a safety perspective. Not having that door operable is a concern.
  • bdub3bdub3 Member Posts: 3
    Thank you kcram.

When I went to the Toyota service center to pick it up yesterday I learned that the Date of First Use (DOFU) was 4/18/2003 for our '04 Sienna. So, we aren't eligible for the extended warranty because it's been > 9 years since the DOFU. :(

However, in '09 I went to a Toyota service center and had an estimate done for fixing the sliding door. That shows record (which the Toyota Customer Support can see in the records for the VIN) of the problem long before the 9 year warranty expiration. So, I've opened a case by calling the Toyota Customer Experience # to find out if we can possibly receive some remuneration for the door under this extended warranty. We'll see how it turns out. . .
  • slyonsslyons Member Posts: 4
    We also have a Sienna that we purchased in May 2003. We got the service enhancement warranty yesterday and went to the dealership today. We are a month shy of the 9 year requirement with 90,000 miles on the Van.
    I had taken it in to our dealership when the cable on the door broke and got a estimate. We called corporate and they said that they do not see a estimate being given. Of course we have not been able to find the est that we received. Corporate did indicate that alot of people have been calling and that the 9 year warranty may change. I am very disappointed with Toyota. our cable borke at 38,000 miles and when we took it in that is when they told us it was not cover the first time. Then now a month out it is still not covered. I did not buy there ext warranty because that had such a good quality of work. Boy were we wrong. I am not done yet though because it is a faulty workman ship or engineering on Toyota's fault. I would love to hear what your final outcome is. My husband and I feel like that sent us this enhancement warrant late so that they would not have to pay to fix our vehicle. I have seen post on here from people who have had there's fix back in April and May.
    Well, 1 ½ year ago I did this job, like I said I read a lot of material on this matter. I don’t remember any a specific web site but I remember one thing, the article was keep saying “check the actuator” because it was related to my door’s symptoms. The door was stop working from inside two buttons, one button on the sealing beside garage button and other from the side panel close to passenger seat. My door was not stuck anywhere after I put together everything. I hope I answer your question. Good luck.
  • midadmidad Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2006 Toyota sienna with 85,000 miles on it; we are the second owner. Last year we started having problems with our automatic sliding door with both the buttons inside the van and our key chain remotes-when we push the buttons, the door makes its normal sound and tries to move but can't. Track is clear and nothing is visibly wrong. We have received nothing on the enhancement warranty . . . Would this be eligible under it?
    Thanks so much for any help/advice!
  • jjllcaljjllcal Member Posts: 31
    edited July 2012
    Same here.. brought my sienna to the toyota dealer and told them the cable of the door is bad, the rubber cover is ripping apart. Before this at around 45000 miles brought it to the dealer about the door not shutting correctly, they told us it will cost us 2000 dollars because the warranty is over. We took it to a independent repair shop, they fix the hatch that connect the door. The problem is fix.

Now the rubber is ripping apart, they said it is over 120000.. we are only over by 3000 miles. When i was there , the service guy said our car is not under recall. I ask him how do they determine which Van to recall. He said it is all issue by the manufacturer by the vin number :mad: . It is just BS.. They just delay the extension until most of the earlier sienna ran more than 120000 and justifying their recall/extension "policy". And the dealer is also denying i took the car to them when we have the problem. They just said they do not have the record... So f**King convinence. I really really hate toyota.. they are bunch of crooks....
  • verv1verv1 Member Posts: 2
    This is the way my door went on my 2004 Sienna. The problem was caused by the failure of the covering on the wire that the door travels on. As the wire covering unravels it jams in the pulleys etc then the motor burns out etc.
    When I noticed this is was too late but I managed to free the door enough to use it manually using penetrating oil.

Verv
    I think it should cover under extended warrantee. I would call to local toyota dealership and find out from them. Their extended warrantee on sliding door cover 9 years and/or 120K miles, which ever come first. Good Luck!
  • yifangyifang Member Posts: 2
    That's exactly what the headquater in Ontario told me! I paid the bill myself. Now there is a huge crank noise at the driver door whenever I open or close it. It is said to be related to the weld of the door between the two hinges. Not know how to do, probably another $2500 (estimate from the expert) to replace the door! What a buy I made!
  • cheranecherane Member Posts: 8
    Mine was covered to repair drivers door by Toyota. I have a 2006 xle. I got a letter through the mail took my van to the dealers with them giving me a rental and repair at no cost.
    now, my sliding door is another matter.
    I'm ready to let my van go for sale...sick of this and I only have around 35,000 miles.
  • fix_it_againfix_it_again Member Posts: 9
    edited July 2012
    My Sienna drivers door made the same sound at around 40,000 miles and a recall came out about the same time. It was fully covered. My RAV4 (also 2004) had a similar broken weld at the back door at 7,000 miles and I was told "doors falling off" is not one of the 500,000 things covered by warrenty, but I was welcome to look through is fat book of warrenty items if I didn't believe him. A week later, the dealer fixed it. Both vehicles have about 130,000 miles on them now and except for door issues, I am happy with both.
  • easyas123easyas123 Member Posts: 1
    Wish me luck on Monday. I have a 2004 Sienna XLE with 188,500 miles. I have NOT received a letter yet from Toyota re: CSP for "Extension of Warranty Coverage for Rear Sliding Door Latch Assembly" and "Extension of Warranty Coverage for Power Sliding Door Cable Assembly." The passenger sliding door lock actuator failed in March 2010. At that time I was given a verbal quote of about $1500 to repair unless I paid for the diagnostic up front. Given that the door operates manually if you "hang" on the door handle for about 2 seconds, the stealership is assuming that yes, the issue is with the actuator and repair is NOT COVERED under this CSP.

The draft CSP letter that I have is for the "Rear Sliding Door Latch Assemblies". Why wouldn't the actuator be included in this? I have a feeling that I will be paying a several hundred dollar diagnostic fee and that they will tell me, like they have told others, that the door lock actuator is not covered. I do not want to pay $1000 for a $10 part plus labor.
  • 54marty54marty Member Posts: 1
    I received the warranty enhancement letter on 07/16/12. The letter is titled Certain 2004 to 2007 Model Year Sienna Rear Sliding Door Latch Assemblies and Power Sliding Door Cable Assemblies Warranty Enhancement Notice.

Purchased new 2004 XLE Limited: May 2003. Mileage: 220K+

The driver side (L) door stopped opening and closing a long time ago, at least 2 years ago, maybe longer. After about 1 week of operating in manually it got stuck in the open position! The dealer (Miller Toyota in Culver City, CA) told me cost would be around $1500 and recommended I let them fix both sides. I didn't have $1500 so I cut the cable and now the door operates just fine manually. Funny thing: when I push the automatic button I can hear the motor working, so the problem was clearly the tangled up / seized up cable.

I'm about 2 months beyond the 9 years and well past the 120K miles of the enhanced warranty. I have zero expectation Toyota will do anything for me. I base that on my previous experience with them and their refusal to help me with problems it turns out they knew about for a long time but kept secret, such as:

Laser cruise control failures / alignment issues ($700). Not repaired.
    Electric seat heater element failures: replace with new design: $750 each (x2). Not repaired.
    HID headlights attracting moisture resulting in control unit failure: replace with same design: $1000 each (x2). Not repaired.
    Rear hatch lift failure: This one they fixed AFTER I reported to NTSA and other agencies.

I paid $35K for an XLE Limited and ended up with the same features as the $17k base model. All this happened just outside the 3 year / 36K warranty period except for the rear hatch, which was just outside the years but well outside the mileage.
  • beninibenini Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2012
    I would very much appreciate whatever you have in writing about this failure.
    This has happened to us and the dealer is asking for $1600. I would like something in writing about the warranty extension we can show the Toyota dealer here.
    Thanks so much.
    Lorraine Benini
  • gundosiennagundosienna Member Posts: 1
    Received the enhanced warranty notice 7/17/12; car was purchased 5/17/03. 2 months OUTSIDE the enhanced warranty period. Toyota refuses to honor the enhanced warranty, only 75,000 on car. Door originally failed in 2008 and we reported to Toyota in 1/09. Curious to see if anyone had any luck with getting Toyota to honor outside of the 9 years. These vans went on sale in March of 2003.
  • chilcotechilcote Member Posts: 1
    I had 155,000 miles on my 2005 Toyota Sienna. I got the letter indicating that they would extend my warranty for the Power Sliding Door Assembly. However, when I called Toyota's Customer Service to discuss this issue, they informed me that my car was over the mileage limit. The customer service representative was able to pull up how many miles I had on my car at my last service visit. So I wonder if Toyota only sent letters to people that they knew would not be covered. I am irate. I asked to speak with upper management (the people that make the decisions) I was told that I was not allowed to do that. Again, I am the customer and I want answers as to why this problem was recognized by Toyota as an issue and not fixed as a recall. I will be writing a letter to upper management. There are 77 pages of complaints on rear sliding doors on Toyota. Feel free to write to them at Toyota Motor Sales USA, National Customer Relations, 19001 Southwestern Avenue, Dept WC11, Torrance CA 90501. I would appreciate better customer service from such a large company.
  • antoinedeuxantoinedeux Member Posts: 1
    Received this letter a few weeks ago, and that was very timely since the cable broke 3 months ago. Unfortunately I lost the letter (ironically the Toyota dealer lost it, it was in the car and vanished...) and I still need it, to claim reimbursement for the expenses occured to un-jam the door when the cable failed. And despite the time spent with the customer service on the phone, they won't send me a duplicate or anything. Can somebody be kind enough to scan this letter and email it to me? Or simply type the paragraph regarding the reimbursement at the bottom, that would be very helpful. Many thanks!
    Antoine (Sienna 2004)
  • ckirkckirk Member Posts: 18
    :) I scanned as PDF, copied and pasted and below is what came up, but I think the section about "If you have previously paid..." is clear at the bottom. Good luck.

Teei
    y.o.Yf product expectations, Toyota would like to advise you o"f an exiension to portions of your Sienna's New Vehicle
    Limited Warranty.
    Toyota cares about our customers
    Toyota has received reports of customer concerns regarding rear sliding doors that gradually become difficult to open or
    close in certain 20041o 2007 model year Sienna vehicles.
    -
    Although the Rear Sliding Door Latch Assemblies and Power Sliding Door Cable Assemblies are covered by Toyota,s
    New Vehicle Limited Warianty for 3 years or 36,000 miles (whicheueicomes tiriti *" at Toyota care about your overall
    ownership experience. To assure our customers'satisfaction with that ownership eiperience, we are offering an extension
    of the warranty coverage {or your vehicle's Rear Sliding Door Latch Assemblies and
    powe,
    Sliding Door Cable Assembly.
    Please see your Toyota dealer for additional details.
    ThswarrantyeXtenSionisforyourvehicle,s.RearSlidingoooi1atcrrAssembIies"no@
    Cable Assembly for a period of 9 years from the vehicle's"date of first use or 12O,O0O miles, whichever comes first.
    This offer is limited to your specific Sienna whose VIN is provided above and is subject to the same conditions and
    exclusions set forth in your owner's Warranty lnformation booklet. Tnis coverag;l;'f,or warranty work performed at
    an authorized Toyota dealer only.
    Please note that, as specified in the New Vehicte Limited Warranty, damage incurred from abuse, an accident, theft,
    vandalism, or other similar event is not covered by this warranty Extensioh.
    What should you do?
    It you have not experienced this condition, please insert this tetter into your Sienna,s Owner,s Warranty
    lnformation Booktet for future reference.
    lf you experience a difficult to operate rear sliding door, please contact any authorized Toyota dealer and make arrange-
    ments for diagnosis and, if.covered,
    1epair,.9qu:19
    repairs for the near'SitJinj ooor r-itcn or the power
    Stioing Door
    Cable Assembly will be performed at NO CHARGE tor up to s years from the ueiicle's date of first use or 120,000 miles,
    whichever occurs first. Please present this notice to the Toyota bealer when you-biing ihe vehicle in toryour appointment.
    l1,ll9
    Rgar Sli-ding Door Latch Assembly requires reptacement, the repair witl tat<e ipproximately one hour. lf the power
    ,t,#iq:"::^c,:1,1" f:"t"Tlry:lr'l:sl9nt19emenf
    the repail *rr ta[e
    "pp';;i;#r!
    tow hours; however, dependins
    Certain 2OO4 to 2007 Model year
    Sienna
    Rear Sliding Door Latch Assemblies and
    Power Sliding Door Cable Assemblies
    i?il,"t1:-o*:j;:
    y"^'l
    ,::fg*,_'l:ly_g:-n_?."::3ry,
    io make tne vbhicre
    "uairlor"
    to;-; i;ft;;;;il;i'i,.;;:
    We wanted to advise you.of this warranty.extension and provide reimbursement instructions in the event you have
    incurred expenses for previous repairs to help minimize the inconvenience to you.
    lf you would like to update yourvehicleownership-orontactinfgrmation, pleasego towww.teyota.eom/ownersupdate,
    You will need your fult 17-digit Vehicle ldentification Number (vlN) to inpuiirre n-ew"intormation.
    lf,you have previously paid.for the repair or replacement of the Rear Sliding Door Latch Assembly and/or the power
    Sliding Door Cable Assembly and/or the Motor and Power Sliding Door bable Assembly to address the covered
    condition, please mail a copy of your repair order, proof-of-paymentl and proof-of-ownership to the following address
    for reimbursement consideraiion:
    -
    Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., lnc.,
    Toyota Customer Experience, WC10
    19001 South Western Avenue, Torrance, CA 90509

lnclude your name, address, and telephone number(s) in your request. Please allow 6 to g weeks to process your
    request.
    We have sent this notice in the interest of your continued satisfaction with our products.
    Sincerely,
    TOYOTA MOTOR SALES, U.S.A., INC.
  • toyotasucks2toyotasucks2 Member Posts: 3
    I had such a great experience with my old Toyota Sienna that I didn't even shop for anything else before I bought my 2008 model...big mistake. Today the 2nd of the two automatic doors failed - $1,700 each to repair. The first time I chose the manual door instead of the automatic door (less than $300) and now whenever I park on a downward incline the manual door doesn't lock open and comes slamming closed - great safety for a family vehicle, right? Toyota is no longer the company they once were and are continuing to limp along on a no longer deserved reputation. I wouldn't take another Toyota if you gave it to me. As soon as I figure out how to file a complaint with the DOT I will do so. When I made my profile in order to post to this website, the ID TOYOTASUCKS was already taken and I had to settle for TOYOTASUCKS2!
  • toyotasucks4toyotasucks4 Member Posts: 1
    I too was told I do NOT qualify for the Warranty Extension for the Sienna sliding doors. (I miss the cutoff by a few months). I had the car in for service on FOUR previous occasions for these door problems but decided NOT to fix them due to the high cost for repair. Now Toyota is saying that if I HAD them fixed they would have reimbursed me.... !!!??? If I had a CRYSTAL BALL I would have had the repairs done, but who knew Toyota would FINALLY FESS UP to a known problem with the doors ! They need to issue a RECALL, not an Warranty extension (which most people do NOT qualify for!) Toyota is showing a lack of integrity.
    I will NEVER buy a Toyota again.
  • toyotasucks2toyotasucks2 Member Posts: 3
    I COULDN'T HAVE BEEN MORE WRONG IN MY PREVIOUS POSTING! I marched myself into my Toyota dealer today ready to rant about the failed sliding doors only to learn that Toyota has extended the warranty on the doors to 120K miles! Now, this is the type of thing I have always expected from Toyota but had mistakenly thought was a thing of the past. Both doors will be repaired at no cost to me. I couldn't be more satisfied!
  • larz5larz5 Member Posts: 2
    Yea, that's what I thought until they actually looked at my Sienna and informed me that the part needed to fix my door wasn't covered under the warranty extension. And by the way, they charged me $80 to let me know that. Good luck. I have since traded for a new Explorer
  • victor23victor23 Member Posts: 201
    I too "experienced this condition". As well as a number of other "conditions", either covered by numerous TSBs or not. When the door stopped opening at all, I took Sienna to the dealer. They first told, no easy solution, prepare to pay $1300 or more, but in a couple of hours a smart tech was able to take the door apart from inside and to fix the problem without changing parts. I paid about $340, and was happy. Now, after receiving the warranty extension letter, I submitted for reimbursement and received a denial letter. I called Toyota and asked for clarifications. Their explanation was that the reimbursement was denied because no parts were ordered. So, I asked, if the tech were stupid and changed the whole thing, it would be OK, but if the tech is smart, I am penalized? They said, yes, we are sorry, but that is how it works.
  • harpermharperm Member Posts: 1
    Please, join the Facebook group "Toyota Sienna Faulty Power Sliding Door" so that we can have strength in numbers. I am beyond frustrated reading the hundreds and hundreds of posts that are just like mine in dealing with their faulty Toyota Sienna Sliding door. If we band together, in one place..we can make a difference. Toyota says that they don't have complaints about the parts that aren't part of the CSP, and that's ridiculous. Please, if you have a problem with your door call Toyota at 1-800-331-4331.
  • slyonsslyons Member Posts: 4
    I did call and got know where. Not even sure they recorded the fact that we called. Also, so frustrated. I will not buy a Toyota again.
  • kuzprincepesakuzprincepesa Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys, I had much of the same experience as you guys, I don't have $2000 to fix my sliding doors and having a new born and 2 lil ones, being able to open my doors with the press of a button really helps, especially since I don't have 3 hands. My local shop told me of a place in Los Angeles that rebuilt my cables. They sent in my old unit and Benson's Auto fixed them for only $350! My mechanic installed it for $100. Now both my sliders work! You can find them at Bensonsautola.wordpress.com!
  • mccraigormccraigor Member Posts: 1
    Toyota just extended their warranty on this problem for certain 2004-2007 Siennas. I just received the warranty enhancement last Friday and it's in the shop now being warrantied. There are some catches though.

From the letter..."This warranty extension is for your vehicle's Rear Sliding Door Latch Assemblies and for your Power Sliding Door Cable Assembly for a period of 9 years from the vehicle's date of first use or 120,000 miles, whichever comes first. This offer is limited to your specific Sienna whose VIN is provided above and is subject to the same conditions and exclusions set forth in your Owner's Warranty Information booklet. This coverage is for warranty work performed at an authorized Toyota Dealer only."

There is also some additional information about being reimbursed if you have paid for repairs in the past for the same issue. I wasn't able to find anything at the Toyota website, but found this in the Sienna chat.

http://www.siennachat.com/forum/64-2004-2010-dec-2009-2nd-generation-toyota-sien- na/9534-04-10-sienna-extension-warranty-coverage-rear-sliding-door-parts.html

Good luck!
  • sparkles78sparkles78 Member Posts: 1
    We are very disappointed in our Toyota Sienna (2006) also. Got a recall for the electric sliding door so I took it to the dealership. They refused to repair the doors because they said the hinges were damaged rather than the cable which was supposedly warranted. The paint and rubber is wearing worse by the day. If anyone knows how to get these repaired under recall please let me know.
  • curiosity3curiosity3 Member Posts: 3
    I was also told by Tustin Toyota that my sliding door was not covered by the warranty or recall since it is the hinge that is failing. I had to turn off the auto button and tell my kids to only use the driver side sliding door. The passenger side slider has also damaged my paint. I was quoted $800 to fix. Crazy..... If this is a manufacturer problem, then it should be fixed by Toyota. If anyone knows how to get around this, please let me know. Thanks
  • grurenogrureno Member Posts: 2
    Hi Everyone,
    Speaking of Sliding Door cables and hinges....guess what happened to me....
    I was flying in from my vacation (Tuesday, July 31, 2012) with my kids(4) my husband picked me up. Next Day my driver side sliding door gets stuck halfway! IT WON'T BUDGE!! I took it to the dealer in Anaheim and they said its a SAFETY ISSUE, SO TOYOTA won't release it. Because of the extended waranty on the cables they will replace those, PLUS out of Curtesy (yeah right) they are paying for one motor and I pay for the other $270. So we agreed to it, we figured 2 new mechanisms on both doors.... good deal! I live in the Bay Area so they had to give me a rental, I still have it (1.5 mnths later)...
    I got a call yesterday they tell me the hindges on BOTH SLIDING DOORS are going out and if I dont repair them the cables are going to break again because of it. $1500+ in repairs! I think this should be a recall and we should all report to TOYOTA. I cant afford it, I could use that money to feed my kids and buy them Clothes! They should be responsible and take care of it. I have a rental and they are paying for it (the rental) so if they dont want to fix it they will keep on paying the rental until they do.... Good luck to all of you that have the same problem.
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    What year is your van?
  • grurenogrureno Member Posts: 2
    2004!
  • curiosity3curiosity3 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2004. I can't afford to pay for the door, so I keep it locked. I have 3 kids and we are adjusting the best as we can dealing with only one door. I agree, we need to contact Toyota. Does anyone know who to call? Thanks
  • kuzshekiyakuzshekiya Member Posts: 5
    Paying over a thousand dollars to fix a door isn't really an option for me. Luckily I can help you out for a fraction of that price. Check out WWW.BensonsAutoLA.wordpress.com . I will replace your cables with brand new stronger ones and ALSO email you instructions on how to remove and replace the EDM unit yourself.