Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna Sliding Door Problems

Comments

• adiehl13adiehl13 Member Posts: 28
    Toyota just sent out an official recall notice: "Toyota has received reports of customer concerns regarding rear sliding doors that gradually become difficult to open or close in certain 2004-2007 model year Sienna vehicles. Although the Rear Sliding Door latch Assembliew and Power Sliding Door Cable Assemblies are covered by Toyota's new Vhicle Limited Warranty for 3 years or 36,000 miles, we at Toyota care about your overall ownership experience. To assure our customers satisfaction.......We are EXTENDING THE WARRANTY to a period of 9 years or 120,000 miles.

FINALLY.

On a similar note, my parents just got a quote of $7,000.00 to replace the computer on their Prius. Apparently everyone has been attaching the Garmin/GPS to the screen (the only place to attach it on the Prius) and this screws up the touch screen. It's happened so many times, all Toyotal dealers know about what caused the screen to fail (so there's no fibbing). 7K???? Another mad toyota customer
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Doesn't the Prius have a windshield?
  • potefam5potefam5 Member Posts: 1
    We just took our Sienna 2006 into the dealership for service on our faulty sliding door. It quit working in February 2012, we had the cables cut in March 2012 in order to use it manually, and the door stuck shut (can ONLY be opened from OUTSIDE) last week (September). We brought in the warranty extension letter mentioned.

Our dealership informed us that the extended warranty does NOT cover the motor or the stuck-door issue (which is a "latch" issue).

After seeing how many people are having the same problems we are, and after seeing how Toyota is NOT addressing these problems (they're paying lip service and tiptoeing around the problems), we will no longer be buying Toyota vehicles. After 15 years of being a "Toyota" family, I'm saddened that we feel compelled to move on because of Toyota's LACK of responsibility, of customer care, and of safety consideration.
  • fix_it_againfix_it_again Member Posts: 9
    Not a sliding door issue, but in response to post 716...
    The Garmin instructions say itis illegal to attach anything to the windshield in two states. One is California even though it is legal in the two lower corners of the windshield. If the windshield slopes too much, you can't get it close enough to the corners to be legal.
    I think the other state may have been Michigan, but I don't really know if it is legal to attach it to the windshield there or not.
  • victor23victor23 Member Posts: 201
    Re: Prius and the ruined computer screen.

But, look, to attach anything to the touchscreen, this is priceless, even for a senior. I think Toyota may be blamed for not providing enough space for gadgets, but not for refusing to pay. I agree though that anything 7K is outrageous for Toyota; it is not Bentley after all. OTOH, Prius is not a Corolla or Camry either, it is a Status/Message vehicle. So, it is a fair game.
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    It sounds like some of you are still trying to get full information about what is covered and why many claims are being denied. Attached is a link to my page so that you can download the warranty extension announcement that went out to dealers. They are only covering latch mechanisms and cable assemblies.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?igof53i7g7rbeog

The site has 'issues', and may try to open the file for viewing. Often it hangs up. Look on the top right for a DOWNLOAD button, have it open the file with Acrobat (.pdf), view, save or print as you see fit.

Good luck in your battle! At least now you will know what you are up against.
    Thanks for posting. Sure we all received this same announcement and letter. It clearly states "gradually become difficult to open and close... If you paid for repair or replacement..." In my case, the judgment was simple: no replacement - no reimbursement. Just repair does not count. There is a shade of merit in this logic, but, you know, a good tech can fix just about anything without replacement. This is what makes the difference between a good and bad mechanic. The guy might as well just to replace everything - and it would be covered. But Toyota didn't even bother about details. I am thinking to throw some sand into the "cable assembly" now, to make it "eligible" ;)
  • snaumansnauman Member Posts: 4
    I have done regular oil changes, and ended up with a sludge problem. This is a Toyota right? That's why I didn't mind paying TONS more $ for better quality, SAFETY, RELIABILITY!! The dealership says they "might" be able to get Toyota to provide some assistance since they have seen this before, but they state that was only through the 2002 model Siennas, and other year Camrys. This is such a joke, they need to take responsibility and get me back on the road. People it is time to stand up, Toyota's ARE NOT PERFECT as WE ONCE THOUGHT!!
  • justpeachy1justpeachy1 Member Posts: 1
    I too got a letter this week regarding the warranty enhancement notice. I was so happy because I thought Toyota had finally acknowledged the poorly made doors! Nope! Took my vehicle by the dealership yesterday and they said I need the motor and cable (don't really need the motor but you can't purchase one without the other). Total price with labor - $1699!!! I called Toyota and immediately filed a complaint. What a ripoff...I have a 2009. My cable snapped last spring after the door got stuck and would not close. These doors are super heavy and a danger for my 3 kids to manage in our hilly neighborhood. Will be looking for another vehicle...was happy to purchase my first brand new Toyota; will be happier to sell it and go to another brand! Shame on you Toyota!
  • bethwilliamsbethwilliams Member Posts: 1
    Just took my 2005 Sienna to the Toyota Dealer for recall repairs and warranty enhancement repairs, one of which being the REAR DRIVERS SIDE SLIDING DOOR. I too had the cable cut so the door woul function manually. Just received a call that the cables would be replaced at NO CHARGE, however, the motor is NOT COVERED. I asked if the motor and cables function together and how one was covered (the less expensive) and one is not (the most expensive). He tried to explain why, but it sounded like BS to me. I am extremely dissapointed as I think there is a probablity that the screwed up rusted out cable may have caused the motor issues. Maybe its just coincidence that the cable snapped AND the motor is screwed up simultaneously....but odds are that the cable caused the motor malfunction. $1100.00 for PARTS PLUS the HOURLY LABOR RATE. I'd rather open the door manually, thank you very much. DISSAPOINTED! Class Action anyone?
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    I suggest everyone in your situation tell Toyota goodbye and let them know why you will never buy another Toyota. I had a similar problem with a Lexus transmission with hundreds of failures and Toyota ignored it. $4700 later I sold the car and told Lexus why I was leaving. I have a 2006 Sienna with a door problem. I haven't gone to the dealer yet to see what they say.
    and let them know why you will never buy another Toyota

Yes, that would make us feel good and at least a bit avenged. Two problems with this, a small and a bigger one. It was my impression that the big guys like Toyota couldn't care less about our opinions and even departure. CEOs, for their reasons. Lower managers and common employees, for other reasons. The bigger issue is that changing the brand, you are going to run into the same or similar issues. With even higher probability, if the statistics is any guide.
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    You are right. Nothing is perfect and you do the best you can. I purchased a 2011 Volvo XC60 to replace the Lexus. I have owned Volvos previously and when I bought the Lexus, Volvo had nothing comparable. I have never had a major problem with any Volvo I have owned and I keep my cars 10 years or so. I do believe that an ever-expanding group of fed up car owners who swear off the brand will eventually have an impact. If nothing else it made me feel good. And I am very happy with the XC60.
    Having been in the car, it's not really "priceless..." it was the only obvious place to attach it. Apparently, this has happened so many times that all the dealers know exactly when it happens.

How about a sticker or a word from the salesperson, "PS- though it may seem like a good idea, NEVER ATTACH SOMETHING TO THE TOUCH SCREEN."

Such a simple idea.
    got a great deal on an R350 Mercedes that has tons of room, and spacious cabin. Crappy gas mileage. Cost was never an issue for us- we were just Loyal Toyota fans. No more. I may have issues with the Mercedes- who knows. But it's 60% steel and safe. And if they refuse to fix known defects in quality- I'll move on.
  • jsmithtoyotajsmithtoyota Member Posts: 1
    Add me to the list of consumers who received the phony warranty letter and then was promptly told that the letter telling me that Toyota would fix my broken 2006 Sienna sliding door did not actually mean that Toyota would fix the door. Rather, it is just a revenue-generating ploy by Toyota to get people to their dealerships. As is obvious from this and similar forums, Toyota is honoring less than 10% of warranty requests, since only screw #32 is covered and if screw #1-31 needs to be replaced you need to pay for it. This is a typical move by a company in a death spiral: sell your accumulated goodwill for short-term gain to keep the company afloat. Well, here is another formally loyal Toyota customer (2 Toyotas and 2 Lexuses) who will never buy a Toyota again.
  • thomsosthomsos Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2012
    I think you are right on. Our door actually failed in 2009. I only received the letter today but went to toyota to get copies of my receipts of the repairs and have sent them in. He indicated that toyota is considering a similar "warranty extension" for the motor, but we will see. Mine failed exactly as the letter described. They had to replace the cable, motor, hinges, and at least three other parts to the tune of about 2500.00. The toyota service manager was shocked that they needed the receipts,because he had to go into their system to pull them up and print them off for me. He said I'll definitely get some of the money back.... I'm pretty sure the cable failure had to cause the motor failure too, but I'm sure they won't figure it that way. I'm just hoping for another warranty extension on the motor that I can refile for later. At this point I'm already out the money, have been for a couple of years, so anything I get back is a plus. The repaired door has worked great since I got it back but will never buy a van with a power slide door again. Rediculous repair cost for a not so useful option.
  • kc5573kc5573 Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2012
    I have a 2005 Sienna with 115k miles. I received the warranty enhancement letter. I was very happy to receive this letter as I have had my van in there before due to the door not opening by either buttons. It tries to close/open, but it just can't, nothing is jammed or anything, seems as though it is a latch issue.

I brought it in today, fought with them to pay for a rental, (which they did not)! and they called me two hours later to tell me that 'conveniently' the motor needs to be replaced and it is not covered by the warranty. Seems very suspicious that in my experience and the majority (77 pages ) of other posts that most are being told the part that needs to be replaced to fix the doors is not covered by the warranty enhancement......if so many people are complaining about their power doors not working, why would Toyota take the initiative to fix the cables but not the accompanying motor!!!!!

Seems like a big old SCAM!!

CLASS ACTION!!!!
  • skygreencastleskygreencastle Member Posts: 4
    Yep, that is exactly what happened to me and my van. What is your next step? The bad thing is, we could get the motor fixed, and then the cables break. They won't due the warranty work unless the cables are already broken. Basically, we would have fixed the motor for nothing.
  • aimpulsiveaimpulsive Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2012
    My 2004 Toyota had a new ENGINE installed about 18 months ago (117,000 miles) because they said the engine had sludge in it due to lack of oil changes. This is NOT true, and in fact we started complaining about the engine smoking too much when it only had about 40,000 miles on it. A terrible engine from the start, it seems. We paid $5,000 to have a used engine installed, and NOT by the Toyota dealer.

A month later the lower control arms broke ($1200).

Now, the passenger side door would not open due to the binding. Like the rest of you, the dealer price was about $1600 to fix and not covered due to miles and age of car (although the car looks new inside/out because my wife keeps it that way).

So, I found a place online that will replace the cable for $350 once I get the motor out. It took me about 75 minutes to remove the motor (be sure to follow, absolutely to the last detail, the instructions they send you). You will feel like you are stripping the car down to the last nut, but it really isn't very bad (coming from a non-auto mechanic, but someone who is mechanically inclined at least a little, according to my wife!).

The company that does the cable rebuild is:

Rich Jung
    BSJ Enterprises Inc.
    dba Benson's Auto
    7711 South Alameda Street
    Los Angeles, CA 90001
    (323) 583-8941 tel
    (323) 583-0330 fax

Note, I have not sent mine in yet as it looks like the cable housing is cracked due to the cable stress, and I can't find a replacement. I found "like new" entire assemblies (including cables, motor, etc.) for $600, or Toyota-brand new units for $800 (a lot cheaper than the dealer). I will probably have to go one of these two routes as I can't find just the $10 piece (well, it looks like a $10 piece) of plastic that covers the cables once they are wound onto the motor assembly, and without it I fear they will slip off and break again.

Last Christmas I bought myself a new car to replace my 2003 Highlander (which has had ZERO problems). I looked at a 4Runner and the dealer reminded me that Toyota quality is "second to none". I told him he was talking to the wrong person, and I bought a 2012 Grand Cherokee instead. I must admit that I spent $1800 on a lifetime-no miles limit complete warranty as I am a bit afraid of the Jeep's quality, but after one year I have not had to use it and it can't be any worse than the problems I had with my Sienna.

Love my Jeep (Overland with 4wd, hemi engine, two tone leather interior)!
  • visco2visco2 Member Posts: 5
    I recieved a notice from Toyota that I might be eligible for reimbursement for repairs done to the sliding doors on our 2005 Sienna XLE AWD and have not yet filed a claim with Toyota on the sliding doors, but these posts are not encouraging. In Dec 2009, I paid $1,365 to have the motor and clutch assembly replaced (as listed on my receipt). In Sep 2011, I paid $565 for repair of the other door which has listed slide motor assembly and solenoid. I was among the original posters of bubbling and peeling paint on the rims of my Sienna which was about 18 months old at the time, and Toyota did nothing about it, even though they were under warranty. For five-hundred dollars, a rim-repair shop sand blasted and painted the rims. This was three years ago and I have had no issues despite fewer washings and the same salted roads which they claimed caused the paint to bubble. To Toyota's credit, they did replace the lift gate struts twice when they went bad at no cost, though it was while I had the extended warranty and I did have some issue with the dealership not wanting to replace the second set due to them being warranty items and not new to the vehicle.
  • jalbajalba Member Posts: 1
    Which I had seen your post and others before now. Husband ripped off door handle on passenger side manual open sliding door this weekend. 2005 model. We live in the ice cold city of Nashville, TN. Ha!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    How hard did he pull? ;)
  • ulrich4ulrich4 Member Posts: 1
    I must be the lucky one of the bunch. My Toyota dealer fixes all these warranty issues on my '05 Sienna in a timely and free manner. I have not spent a nickle on any issues regarding warranty, even under the extended warranty issues.
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Some dealers value your loyalty, some simply don't care. With Toyota sales continuing to grow, too many dealerships have the attitude that they'll add new customers to replace those that get disgusted and never return.
  • jhogejhoge Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2013
    I started a blog while I am Waiting for Toyota's response on my situation:here
  • pdubupdubu Member Posts: 1
    I used Rich Jung to rebuild my cables and assembly. Excellent service and top notch work! Give them a call to diagnose your problem. He will help walk you through the possible issues. Price was $350 with shipping, and they have a Warranty that they stand behind (because I had to use it when breaking something when trying to reinstall my fixed assembly).

Rich Jung (agent.tikki@gmail.com)
    BSJ Enterprises Inc.
    dba Benson's Auto
    7711 South Alameda Street
    Los Angeles, CA 90001
    (323) 583-8941 tel
  • bad_warrantybad_warranty Member Posts: 4
    I too have been smitten. My '04 Sienna is 3 months out of the extended period. My cable shows wear that predates the warranty period and I am prepared to get legal counsel to defend my case. Has anyone gone above the local distributor to get consideration?
    To be fair the vehicle is 10 years old. A Ford would have rusted to pieces by now.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Yes, I did have a problem with my power door as well. Fixed it myself with a new actuator (as mentioned on this forum). No problems since. While I am not happy I had the problem, it is the only non maintenance issue I have had with the vehicle in 7.5 years and 135,000 miles. Vehicle is still running strong.
    I hear you, however this car has 50,000 miles on it. It has been well maintained and if you look at the cable, you will see this has been defective for some time; just not enough to break until this 3 month out of a 9 year warranty.
    Well, look at it from a different point of view.

Let's say you paid $1000 or so for a 10 year warranty, and someone else who bought their car they same day paid $800 for a 9 year warranty.

Then their car breaks at 9.2 years.

If a manufacturer covers them, you got screwed. Otherwise, why did you pay more than they did?

As a gesture of Good Will I think it would be appropriate for them to perhaps share the cost with you, given you're a customer with the longest warranty available. I think it's fair for you to ask, also.

But they can't just fix every car for free indefinitely.

I have a 7/100 warranty on one of my cars (not the Sienna), and the value of that warranty is zero if they fix every one's cars after the standard warranty is up.

What did I pay for, exactly?
  • pmartino99pmartino99 Member Posts: 4
    I finally bit the bullet and sent in my sliding door units (2005 Sienna XLE, 135k miles) to Benson's Auto as per recommendations on this forum. Rich was a great help and both doors are now good to go with high quality cables, total cost was about $900 as a couple other parts were broken. Removal/installation were pretty straightforward with his instructions, and he sourced the extra parts at minimum price which was much appreciated. I highly recommend anyone else out of warranty/recall get it done... you forget how great the power doors are with kids (and the wife). :shades:
    You are talking like a true service manager. I'll update you after the final decision has been made.
    Meanwhile, you might want to respond to the other 750+ posts who have the same issue...give you time to think about what you're saying. Nine years later...
    edited April 2013
    I avoid dealerships as much as possible, even do my own routine maintenance.

The 7/100 warranty is on my wife's car, and yes I think it's unfair when every one gets a benefit that we had to pay for.

750 posts is nothing, have you seen the Dodge/Chrysler transmission thread? 2000+

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ee93e7a/2065#MSG2065
    Haha, you are good. Comparing a Chrysler to Toyota. Chrysler is notorious for their poor quality, while Toyota...
    Nine year warranty, can you see BMW offering such a ridiculous "defect". Come on man, fess up that Toyota knows this is a very real problem.
    BMW isn't exactly known for stellar reliability. 10 years no problems would be very unlikely.
  • chemshermchemsherm Member Posts: 1
    I don't know if anyone has suggested any help for your frozen doors. I have a 2001 Sienna. Here in DE we have weather that usually involves rain in the daytime and then freezing temps at night. This causes water between the door seal and the body to freeze the door closed. A real simple fix I've used is to lubricate the door seal with spray silicone. Spray it on and wipe off the excess. I hope this helps you.
  • theduke5theduke5 Member Posts: 1
    Reading through some of these discussion threads, I am amazed at how some dealerships get away with murder. We had a 2004 Sienna XLE automatic door fail in the open position (it wouldn't close) at a grocery store. I looked at the cable and saw the cable sheathing had split open. As the door was closing it binded up at this point in the pulley system and reversed open. I thought I could get it through the initial pulley and pull ed but it really jammed up. I had to cut the rear tensioner side of the cable to close the door.

We brought the van to the dealer in Bellevue, NE to have the cable replaced. I left for work and my wife returned home. She got a call saying that the motor and possibly locking motor had to be replaced for $1800 with $1000 up front. She paid it up front and then called me. I called the dealer and cancelled the order. i then went over there. Clearly, the motor and locking motors still ran, but the cable sheathing was aged and cracked as a result of all the turns through the pulleys it had to make.

Luckily, there was another person at the dealership who said he could replace just the cable. After rescheduling the repair, I pointed out the the other side cable was in the same condition as the broken cable was just before failure.

They called their district service manager in Kansas City who gave approval to replace that cable too.

Now both door open and close like a champ (even without the gritty sound it used to have).

I really believe the problem lies in the plastic sheathing of cable aging and cracking.
  • ckirkckirk Member Posts: 18
    I had the cable break on 2004 Sienna XLE door and was asked $1800 by the dealer to replace the whole lot, no "cable-only" solutions. If you don't mind, how much were you charged to have the cable replaced? Was it repaired under a Toyota notice?
    Thanks, Kirk in TX
  • michwood59michwood59 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem on my 2007 sienna. I found a fix for it although I haven't actually repaired my door yet though. Please see post number #321 for the fix. Its actually a defective motor latch release mechanism and can be purchased for about $ 100.00
  • duster4duster4 Member Posts: 3
    Still waiting for a final verdict from Toyota, but my 2011 Sienna cargo door would was not operating properly. My wife brought the car in for regular maintenance 3 weeks ago, asked the dealership to check it out. They reported it to be OK. Now, it stopped working. Would not close completely. The car is outside the 36,000 mile warrantee, but still less than 3 years old. The dealer now says it's a $2,500 repair. Unbelievable! Also, the dealer charged $90 to assess the situation!
  • duster4duster4 Member Posts: 3
    I posted the other day about the sliding door not working on my 2011 Toyota Sienna. Unfortunately, it is out of warantee because I'm past the mileage. I couldn't get the door to even close. The dealer eventually did get the door closed. Wanted to charge $90 for 'diagnostics', but eventually backed away from that. Their 'diagnostic analysis' told me 'it works intermittently. Well why wouldn't I want to pay $90 for that? They told me the fix was $2,500. Toyota said that they might be willing to pay half. What a sham. They can't build a car with a door that works for even 3 years. They inflate the repair costs, and then think I'll feel good about paying half.
    Also, just try asking for a supervisor at Toyota. 'I will have one get back to you in less then 1 business day' is their normal response. They didn't even get that right! I didn't get a call back.
    I will never buy a Toyota again!!!
  • schdealschdeal Member Posts: 2
    This is my first Toyota car and buying experience is very good, I like the driving more than Honda Odyssey.
    But the night mare come after I have the car, this is the worst NEW car I have ever buy.

The moon roof rack broken after 6 months, even though it's replaced by the warranty.

The sliding door began to have problem after few months, while opening the door, it produce a big bang sound,a really scary noise, it's like some one is hitting your car with a big hammer. but it doesn't happen all the time, so the dealer can't find it out easily. Finally I have to leave the car at service for a whole day, they finally heard it and replaced something as they claimed, it's better for few months, the sound come back again.

The clip for the seat belt on driver side broken after 2.5 years, the stupid car was keeping beep while driving because I can't faster the seat belt.

The steering wheel is making turn sound when you turn, while it's very smooth and quite before.

The paint is chipping, my Honda Accord's paint maintained very well after 10 years, but the paint of this car begin to chip after one year.
  • cbrunocmecbrunocme Member Posts: 3
    I have an issue with both of my sliding doors

Driver's manual slider - intermittently will not open form the inside and have to pull very hard on the outside handle and slam the door shut

Passenger side power slider - the button's all stopped working a few weeks ago and intermittently the door will not open form the inside and have to pull very hard on the outside handle

I was going to replace the cheap little motor in the door lock actuator on both sides but I had not read of anyone having trouble opening from the inside so I was wondering if there were other parts I should be looking at or if it still sounds like the actuator.
  • kvnimrlskvnimrls Member Posts: 2
    Horrible to see that so many Sienna's are having the same issue and Toyota doesn't feel it's and problem. MY '04 Sienna passenger slider is having issues. The door opens when it wants, the cable snapped, the lock is malfunctioning.
    Toyota wont fix it. Because I am the second owner, I am not eligible for the extended warranty. They know the issue exists and they could care less....
    the slider once opened while my wife was turning down our block! What do they need? A Class action law suit to get them on the ball!!!
  • kuzshekiyakuzshekiya Member Posts: 5
    The most common issue on these 2004 to 2010 Sienna power sliding door failures is the protective sheathing on the cables, and the hinges. The sheathing gets old and brittle and starts to crack and peel off. The sheathing then starts to bind up in the pulleys of the clutch, in the cable guides, or under the spool cap. This creates addition resistance when makes the motor complain, prompting most be people to think the motor is going bad. We have never had to replace a motor due to wear and tear. Its always the cable. As the sheathing peels away from the cable, it also exposes the cables to elements, Allowing the cable to rust and become brittle. Once it starts rusting it will break in short order. I do not recommend using the cable without the sheathing tho. The exposed metal cable can and will break the plastic pulleys of the clutch assembly. With no plastic coating on them to protect the thing plastic pulleys of the clutch from the steel cables, we have seen many many clutches broken beyond repair. Since we cannot fix the clutch, nor do we have an aftermarket replacement, the only other option then is to purchase the item from the dealership, and they go for over $1200 list price. So if you intend to keep the power sliding door feature in your car, I highly recommend you send them out for rebuilding before the pulleys in the clutch break.

The second most common problem are the hinges. The first generation hinges are very thin and a prone to bending out of spec. This can make opening and closing the door difficult, and also put additional stress on the motor and cables. If the issue is bad enough it can make the cable snap, as the cables are not running in their intended pathway. This issue as been dealt with by Toyota by way of making a stronger hinge, but as most people know it is not covered under warranty. Fortunately the price of the new updated hinges isn't too expensive, under $100. I'd recommend ordering this unit from your local dealer if you need a new hinge.

We have replacement parts for just about everything except for the clutch at this time. We also do cable replacements with brand new cables with a 90 day no hassle warranty. Contact us at BensonsAutoLA.Wordpress.com. Thank you!
  • gnoknutingnoknutin Member Posts: 1
    Which cables do you cut? I've been looking all over youtube and the internet to figure out what cables to cut and can't find anything. I don't mind having a manual door -- I just don't want to cut something I shouldn't cut.
  • kuzshekiyakuzshekiya Member Posts: 5
    Hey guyz, Bensons Auto has just posted video instructions on how to remove the Sienna sliding door motors. It really does look pretty easy.

BensonsAutoLA.Wordpress.com.
  • azparentsazparents Member Posts: 1
    ADD US TO THE LONG LIST OF GRATEFUL PEOPLE! We used the PDF you mentioned and read post #321 on this log, both extremely helpful! Ordered the part ($77.75 + $17 shipping) from our Toyota dealership, had it in 2 days and tackled the project ourselves (no mechanical know-how). 2 hours, 5 minutes later, works perfectly!!!
    It's worth mentioning that although the step-by-step PDF directions & pictures are a lifesaver , it doesn't tell you all repairs have to be made while you're INSIDE the van. We had to do this at first light because the summers in AZ are so brutal after 9am!
    Also, just for background, we took our minivan to the dealership first who quoted us $875 to fix the Door Lock Motor Release Assembly. Then went and talked to a mechanic shop down the street that a friend works at, at they quoted us $1275 to fix it (Toyota won't sell them the actual part you have to buy the WHOLE DOOR KIT otherwise they won't warranty it).
    This was by far the most helpful site and best leads on this door failure!

Thanks again, AZ parents