Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda CX-7 Maintenance

Comments

• docwatsondocwatson Member Posts: 8
    I was wondering if anyone has tried to put a full size tire in the spare tire compartment. I really don't like temp spares and would feel much better with a full size spare. I think the full size may be too big to fit in the spare tire well. I'll have to see if I can't find a full size tire at the dealer and try to fit it in the spare well. I'll keep you posted.

This is great, consumer to consumer feedback. I'm going to enjoy this and will contribute any and all findings and links I come accross.

Roy
  • carlitos92carlitos92 Member Posts: 458
    Howdy, Roy. I'm glad Freeman has been good to you so far. I bought my CX-7 there in August, and that was where they forgot to tighten my locking lug nuts (one flew off at speed).

The times they had to keep my car, I got a junked-up 3, or once, even an MPV. Maybe they have changed their policy since then.

Still, they are the lesser of the evils around North Texas probably... Good luck.

-c92
    Hey C92, thanks for the input. Like most dealerships, once they make me an offer I make them stick to their word with kind reminders of their promises. The day they delivered my CX7 I had that Xzilon extererior and interior protectant, which by the way is much more remarkable than clear coat, applied and they gave me a CX 7 to drive for the rest of the day. One reason they may not have given you a CX 7 is they may not have put any into their loaner pool yet. August was pretty close to the release date of the CX 7. I'm not making excuses for them, but push a good loaner to get if you have to go back for anything.

Consumers have to stick together and writing letters to the dealerships and to the manufacturers does put pressure on them to keep up their promises and touts of excellent customer service. I bring mine in on Friday for a 300 check up and I'll keep you posted and who I dealt with.
  • rethwilmrethwilm Member Posts: 24
    Took my CX-7 in for an oil change. Received the "report" that stated my tires were at 50%. My car has only 12,500 on it. Either the Turanzas are not good CUV tires or I need to rethink my driving habits.(60%hwy) Anyone else having premature wearing down of their tires?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
  • wjbushsrwjbushsr Member Posts: 135
    Been there, done that...
    I had my Turanzas replaced with less than 24k on the car! :mad:
    I will say that Bridgestone did contact me about the tires to try and settle up on them... AFTER I had bought another set of tires! I settled for the Yokahamas, and got a plus '0' wider tire which made a tremendous gripping difference. The Bridgestones were about 350 a tire if I remember right, maybe more, and I couldn't see spending more money for a tire that just doesn't do well.

Before you do anything, contact Bridgestone through their corporate website, and see if they can help you out with the tire wear issue; they might just replace them for you! :shades:
  • nmknmk Member Posts: 111
    After I had my ECU flashed, I noticed a big improvement in the shift pattern and the smoothness of the tranny. :)
    HOWEVER, while the up and down of shifting between 5th and 6th gear has been resolved, it now hangs too long in 4th gear to my liking. :cry:

Has anyone else had this experience? :confuse:
  • rethwilmrethwilm Member Posts: 24
    I thought it was just my car. I had the download on my car and now it hangs in 4th unitl about 4000 RPMS (not all the time) when it should already been in 6th. Occasionally it will skip 5th all together. Very annoying if I am not in sport mode and just want to drive with traffic. Usually just go to manual mode and bypass the problem.. Will do somethng about it next oil change.
    Hi folks, hard drive crashed, and I didn't back up since I had joined this forum. I was looking like crazy for CX 7 Forums and couldn't remember Carspace. Well I finally remembered and I am back.

Got my FQIs done. The TSB for the Hesitation has not been improved to my liking. I still notice the hesitation, but most definitely notice the "shifty" shifting since. I thought it was my imagnination but after reading here, I can confirm, way to high on the RPMs and MPH before shifting into 6th and it does seem it skips 5th sometimes. I also notice now when I turn a corner and apply the gas, the hesitation is worse. I don't trust the car to pull out into traffic until I have more space to merge in and accelerate. So much for 244hp. I get better performance going into manual mode, but the hesitation is still there and by the time the hesitation is over 2nd or 3rd should have been manually shifted, but it's so quick I ended up reving to 6K RPMs before I realized what had happened. No more taking off in 1st in manual until I get a better feel for the manual shift. But the point is I shouldn't have to rely on manaul shifting just to feel safer when pulling into traffic. I just play it safe, make the guy behind me a little irritated and I wait until I feel safe enough to pull out to compensate for the hesitation.

Good to be back. This is by far the best of the CX7 forums I have found.

Roy
  • nmknmk Member Posts: 111
    Sorry to learn of your problems. :cry:
    This is the first instance I have heard of with a shifting problem such as yours. If your check this and other CX-7 sites, I don't think you will find a similar complaint.

Yes,I think that it hangs too long in 4th gear and also go to manual many times, but that is a problem I have already discussed with my dealer who will look at it the next time I am there. :blush:

You have a completely different situation and would suggest that you refer back to your dealership in writing and copy in Mazda USA about this. It is really most unusual. :confuse:

Good luck and welcome back :shades:
    Brought the 7 back to the dealer today. I was given another CX7 loaner. Man, what a difference. The loaner drives like mine did before they applied the TSB fix. Now I remember why I got the 7 in the first place. I sure hope they get this thing running great like it did when I first got it. I only have 1100 miles on it now and I do not like the shifting at all. Higher RPMs between shifting, worse gas milage and response and hesitation are still prevelant. I asked if I could keep the loaner. The guys laughed. But they are going to work on it to resolve the issues.
    The issue with the shifting was corrected at the dealership this second time around. I was informed there are 2 chips, a PCM and TCM chip. The first programming, the technician didn't program the TCM chip and thus caused conflicts between the 2 chips. They have corrected the issue and my ZOOM ZOOM is back.
  • fred54fred54 Member Posts: 1
    Mazda CX7 two weeks old,driven four times,four paint chips on hood.what gives?....anyone else have this problem,
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    I have a couple small chips but I'm at about 12k miles. I might get the hood bug deflector and see if that helps.

What color is your CX-7?
  • vbbuiltvbbuilt Member Posts: 498
    Welcome to urban life. :mad: Not trying to be cheeky, but if you live and drive in city areas, it's impossible not to have road debris thrown at you from other vehicles. It happens everywhere. Debris, such as little pebbles/rocks, are picked up by car and truck tires and thrown out. Eventually, they'll hit your hood at an angle that causes chips. If it's really bad where you live, you may want to try the bug shield, as the previous poster suggested.

I have the same problem...figure I'll take the car in for some detailing eventually. I personally don't like bug shields, as I had one on another vehicle and still had chips. To me, those shields detract from the clean lines of the vehicle. Just can't win. :blush:

Vince.
  • fonefixerfonefixer Member Posts: 247
    Most drivers don't understand that engine oil should be changed before it gets dirty and loses the value of the additive package. Changing at 3500~4000 miles achieves this, so don't believe that synthetic oil is needed under most except for severe weather type conditions. The Cx will always have clean oil circulating. Also, THe Cx uses a cartridge instead of a standard spin on filter. I have seen this cartridge and it is small, 4000 miles seems plenty before a change is warranted.
    I change my oil per the manufacturer's schedule (ok, usually a bit longer) with dead dino. And I drive them forever. If the additive package conks out so early, why not just pour another ounce of additive in? If the molecular tails break so fast, heaven forbid, why do most manufacturers recommend 7,500 mile or longer intervals now?

If you really care about the condition of your oil, then get an analysis done for $10 or $20. Otherwise you're just wasting money and needlessly dumping oil into the waste stream.

More on the oil wars in the Synthetic motor oil and Engine Oil - A slippery subject Part 2 discussions.
    This hurts, but I agree with Steve. ;)
    In one of my first posts in this thread, I think I mentioned the ability to swap out the cartridge filter housing for a spin-on unit via Mazda3 parts. Anyone tried this yet? After changing oil twice myself, I'm certainly getting ready to give it a shot, although what peeves me even more than the cartridge mess is the matress-sized underbody shield that you have to take off to get to the filter. Yikes!

-c92
    That's what do-it-yourselfers love to do....get all gooey, oily, and frustrated, just to have the satisfaction of changing their own oil. LOVE IT! Me? Let the Mazda techs get their hands dirty...I'll sip latte in the waiting room, watching TV. :shades:

Vince.
    You need to find a better dealer.

One with a wifi hotspot so you can post while waiting for the oil to drain. :shades:
    Good idea! While we're dreaming here, let's add a spa! :P

V.
  • 2ndmahzda2ndmahzda Member Posts: 2
    Has there been any updates on this? I joined the forum to ask just this question. My new CX-7 just turned 700 miles and I'm sure I'll get used to it if I have to. But, I don't wanna! I spoke to Mazda service about it and their response is that Mazda won't let them touch them. They acknowledged it to be a problem, but they can't, or won't do anything about it. My contention is that it's a safety issue, especially where I live. I live in a somewhat rural area where the roads can get very dark. I just know there's a deer just above the line. (BTW, my model does not have the manual adjustment button.)

Thanks.
    Is this a US-market car? If it doesn't have the manual adjustment dial, then it doesn't have HID headlights, which is what the original poster was referring to. I believe the law requires HID headlights to be adjustable, either manually or automatically.

I've never heard of non-HID headlights having any problems, and can't imagine why Mazda would admit to one. Hopefully being in a rural area, you can use your high beams when there is no oncoming traffic.
  • 2ndmahzda2ndmahzda Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for your prompt reply. Yes, a US market car. Indeed, the headlights, according to the "sticker" are Halogen. Thus, they would not have the adjustment as you indicated. However, they still carry the same problem as the original poster described. Is it possible the HID headlights were put in, without the manual control, by accident?

With respect to what Mazda admits and your imagination, I guess you had to be there. Being in a rural area has it's advantages and disadvantages. Not being able to see a formidable object just beyond the lighted area is a disadvantage. As you know, the use of high beams doesn't right what I believe to be a design flaw that carries potential serious consequences.

Thank you again.
    Recommend you take it to an independent shop and have your headlights evaluated. They'll be able to tell you if there's an actual problem with your vehicle, in which case, warranty can be applied to repair it.

On the other hand, if inspection reveals no problems, then it really a matter of the vehicle's design not matching your own preferences. You might be able to return the vehicle for a refund or perhaps swap out the headlights, that provide a wider beam?

I have the GT AWD with the HID and have no problems with them. They operate per specs. There is a distinct "line", but that never caused concern. I too, travel in rural areas, but for me, it's simply a matter of using the either low beams or high beams as the need arises.

I hope you find a good solution to your dilemma! Take care, Vince. :)
  • pete4390pete4390 Member Posts: 1
    Hi guys, just found this site and I'm glad i did. My dealer said that my headlights didn't need adjustment. I said, "wait a minute. It's like driving while watching 2 separate movies at the same time". "that's the way they are", they said. BS ! I believe that each HID lens should be able to be raised and lowered as well as twisted left or right. I'm going to try it although it means taking out the plastic wheel well to get to it easily. Raising and lowering is a obvious benefit but twisting will maybe make the angle in the middle of the beam flatten out. I think all of you CX7 people know what I mean. Wish me luck and I will let you know what happens.
    I'm not sure I fully understand what you are saying but if you are talking about the way the lights cut higher to the right side, this is the way they are designed. Like this __/ right?
    Don't know what state you're from, but in Virginia, the aim of the headlights is checked during the annual safety inspection. The distribution pattern of the headlights complies with state/federal laws. Recommend you check the laws before mucking around with the headlights.

Vince.
    I FINALLY had a dealer update my PCM (engine computer) module yesterday. I bought my car in July 2006, and had never had it done. If you bought your car last summer/fall and have either not been in for maintenance, or haven't had a dealer look at a check engine light, you could be running on the original software.

In short, the new software REALLY changes the way the car drives - for the better. There have been posts about this before, but I didn't realize how much better the car would be after the flash. In a nutshell, turbo lag is almost eliminated, and the on-off engine behavior is gone. I've always found the rush of a turbo fun, but the new setup is much more drivable and useful day-to-day. Mazda says HP and torque are not changed with the new throttle map.

Anyway, if you fall under the conditions I mentioned above, or are disappointed by turbo lag, talk to your dealer about getting the latest PCM update. Highly recommended.

-c92
  • nifty56nifty56 Member Posts: 279
    I have a Mazda3 and live in a rural area with dark unlite roads. The headlights are the worst. Have no depth, cut off sharply. They don't even shine on road signs. Go down a hill into a valley and see the depth of the lights disapear. Drive on a bumpy road and watch the dark upper part and the lower ligted part bounce up and down, puts me into a trance. Up down, up down, up down...I am your master..
    All these lights are good for is styling, looks good, and nothing more. Unfortunatly a lot of other auto makers are adopting the same system, ops styling. On other forums owners of other makes with this system are expressing the same complaint. I awear I won't buy another car with projector headlights unless they are in some way improved. I hope the manufactures change from the projectors..
    Write your congressman...

FMVSS 108
  • ex_tdierex_tdier Member Posts: 277
    Yeah, that's why some models have Xenon bulbs like in Europe. I suppose one can buy a conversion kit for over $300. Nifty, maybe that's your best option or increase the wattage of the bulb?
  • edigeoedigeo Member Posts: 6
    sorry guys ...maybe i'm on the wrong page...but i have a problem with my car...cx7 mazda...is blowing white smoke from exhaust.the car is by the dealer from 2 weeks already,and they can't find the problem...does anybody have any idea? thanks!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    White "smoke" means you're probably getting some water or antifreeze in the engine block possibly through one of the gaskets.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • edigeoedigeo Member Posts: 6
    they ckeck the antifreeze to see if there is a leak but they did't find anithing...now the car is by service dealer, they upgrade the oil, they clean the turbo,many times but still can't figure where is the problem. Is already 2 weeks since I left the car by mazda dealer, and they told me to wait until they will decide what to do with my car.maybe you now more than that. thanks!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    they told me to wait until they will decide what to do with my car

Call them every day to keep them on their toes! Meanwhile, you could get some help in Got a Quick, Technical Question? while you're waiting for a reply here.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • mocx7mocx7 Member Posts: 1
    I've got 9,000 miles on my CX-7 andit has blown smoke quite often.I'm taking it in tomorrow. I'll let you know.
  • fonefixerfonefixer Member Posts: 247
    Anyone know where the cabin filter is located on the MAzda CX-7 ?
  • triplem1triplem1 Member Posts: 4
    Hey everyone,
    Not sure where else to post this question - this is the best thread option i could find. I'm interested to hear your opinions regarding using regular fuel (87 octane) with the cx-7 turbo. Mazda changed the fuel requirement from premium 'required' to 'recommended' for the new '08 model. This is a selling point for me but i have read on other forums this is still not recommended because of the turbo design? I directly asked Mazda and they said it would be fine - but I am worried about any long term effects on the engine. Can anyone comment on this? Anyone with an '08 and using regular? Any feedback is appreciated.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    It's Tuesday, so that means it's time for our weekly chat session. Meet and greet with some of your CarSpace forums friends and chat about your favorite cars!

The Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • astegmanastegman Member Posts: 171
    Hi everyone. I received in yesterday's mail (10/24/07) a notice regarding an emission recall to reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM). The notice applied to various Mazda vehicles, but included 2007 CX-7's built between 2/14/06 and 4/28/07. Mine falls into this category, so I guess I'll be calling my dealer today to schedule an appointment. Just as well, since I'm due for the 22,500 mile maintenance and an oil change. Has anyone else received this notice?
    - Andrea.
  • zoom49zoom49 Member Posts: 76
    Andrea,

Yes I recieved mine on (9/29/07) and have already had it performed. You should only get this mailed to you if your car falls between the vin numbers listed. It applies to
    CX-7 and Mazdaspeed 3's and 6's which use the same engine.
    There is another recall out on the CX-7 as well fro replacement of the (variable swirl shutter valve) however this applies to a smaller number of vehicles. Zoom :)
  • astegmanastegman Member Posts: 171
    My VIN does fall within the range of cars affected, so I will have it taken care of. About how long did it take? Then again, I will combine it with the 22,500 mile service. Thanks for the response!
  • zoom49zoom49 Member Posts: 76
    Our CX-7 needed both recalls performed. They said that they needed 4 hours to perform both, but provided a no charge rental car for the afternoon.
  • bigpav7bigpav7 Member Posts: 9
    My dealer is recommending the oil to be changed at 1,000 miles. Thinking that it's way too early I've contacted Mazdausa. They told me that they recommend the first oil change at 7500 miles and have no control over what the dealers are saying. I was wondering if anyone has changed their oil this early? If you did, what kind of oil did you use? (synthetic or dino) and if synthetic was used, have you had to add any oil since the change? (just trying to see if the engine is using it up). Thanks.
    The dealer is playing it very safe, but they are right; it's a good idea. The reason for changing the oil that early is to clear out any little bits of metal that might have been left during the machining process. When the block and other engine internals are manufactured, metal powder and even shavings are created. All the parts get a wash during assembly, but as they say, nothing is perfect. In fact, the whole process of "breaking in" an engine is to "wear" the new parts together; i.e. pistons and cylinders, etc. Why leave that oil in for another 6,500 miles when you can swap it out? You can't go wrong following Mazda USA's recommendations, but for added piece of mind, many like to change the oil after the engine is broken in (usually 1000 miles).

My CX-7 has been on synthetic oil for 20,000 miles and I have never had to add any between changes. The debate rages on about needing synthetic or not (again, Mazda says plain oil works fine) and you can read posts on that for hours...

Good luck.

-c92
    and you can read posts on that for hours...

You can easily spend an hour reading about "Honda Break-in Oil" too, and why you shouldn't change the oil early. One example:

tamu2002, "Honda Accord Engine Break-in and First Oil Change Questions" #34, 12 Oct 2006 11:47 am

Then there's that whole "drive like you stole it the first 200 miles" theory from the motorcycle world.

There's enough material in your question to last a whole season of MythBusters. :D
  • anxsanxs Member Posts: 7
    My vehicle manual was stolen from the car (along with everything else not valuable to anyone but me) and I have a mainentance light on. It's right below the tire pressure light. Can someone tell me what that is and what maintenance I need to check on so it goes off?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Time again for our weekly gathering of enthusiasts! maybe we shold make tonight a costume chat! :P

The Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule