Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda CX-7 Maintenance

123457»

Comments

• New Mazda CX-7 owner here. Just a few discussion points surrounding service and maintenance:

1. Where do you normally go for service - Dealerships or Independent Mechanic?
    2. Regular service interval calls for 8,000km/4 months (Canadian) whichever comes first. Do you follow this or just go for 8,000 kms (or miles equivalent)? I find that 4months is kinda hard to keep up.
    3. Fuel - premium vs regular?
  • des5des5 Posts: 88
    1. If the factory warranty is in effect, go to the dealer. That will cut out one of the many obstacles that Mazda will place in your way should you need major engine work. That may be up to 112km depending on year/engine.
    2. As I understand it, the time limit has to do with oxidization of the oil which reduces lubricity. Exceeding these limits is best done with synthetic oil. Beware that exceeding the limits excessively gives Mazda ammunition to deny future warranty claims.
    3. In 2007, premium was required. From 2008 on the ECU and cat were modified to permit regular. I have an '08 turbo and use mostly regular - can't really tell the difference. The salesman said use premium in the winter, but they don't know squat.
  • Thanks Des. I have an 07 cx-7 unfortunately so it calls for premium. It is past warranty as well. I do plan on using synthetic oil however, 8,000 Km in 4 months is a lot for me. Do you follow the 4 months limit or just the km/mileage?
    I talked to our local Mazda and a regular service costs $55 for synthetic so I guess it's not too bad. How much do you pay for a regular maintenance?
    My CX has only 51km., and I take it to a meticulous private mechanic. His policy is Mobil 1 for oil, filter change every 8km, oil and filter change every 16km. I go by distance, not time. He charges ~$60US.
    I would do my own, but its better to have a third-party invoice for warranty claims, and the cartridge filter change is a funky procedure.
  • 2008 Mazda CX-7 Grand Touring AWD; I purchased the car in September 2007 and it currently has 19,908 miles.
    The AC is breaking down. While I'm driving on the highway at 65MPH, the pressure or high AC air pressure drops and hot air comes out. I also experienced burning smoke coming through the vents. I had the car inspected by the dealer back on August 3, 2012 and they replaced the valve cover.
    On September 1, 2012 I was driving again on the highway with my family and we experienced the same problem. The AC pressure dropped, hot air was flowing out of the AC and we smelled burning smoke.
    I took the car to the dealer this morning and they are now advising me that I have to replace the blower fan which is out of warranty (3 years/36K miles) and will cost $500.
    I have no problems paying for a part, but the valve cover, blower fan, or AC items shouldn't be breaking down at 19K original miles.
    I asked Wayne Mazda service consultant: Anthony Cunha if the blower fan was part of the AC compressor and he said, "no".
    I strongly feel that Mazda installed faulty AC compressor/units on the 2008 CX-7. This issue has to be investigated before a car catches on fire and people get burned alive or worse, a multiple car crash on the road resulting in deaths.

If you're experiencing the same problem, please spend 5 minutes to file a complaint with the NHTSA
    (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration). I just filed a complaint online a couple of minutes ago.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml

Best of luck
    You need to find another dealer. The blower motor affects air flow, not A/C cooling. Early run '08 models have the faulty design compressor, but Mazda won't warranty them until they blow up.
  • zoom08zoom08 NYCPosts: 66
    I own a Mazda CX7 GT-AWD, I live in nyc.
    I drive roughly 44 miles a day just to go to work, I bought the car Dec 2007 (2008 model) and the car has been trouble free. When I bought the car it had 2miles on the odometer. I now have 76Kmiles.
    Oil changes are like religion, every 4K miles. Turbo engine breaksdown oil very fast.
    I use regular gas, 16MPG on stop and go traffic, if on highway I can easily get 20MPG. I was going to dealership for 1st year. There arfter I started to buy all of the items I needed online and I found a good mechanic that only dealt with Japanese imports and I have been taking it to him ever since.
    Since my car is AWD, the tires were warped at about 32K, so when I bought new tires I decided to pay high attention to tire rotation, proper inflation(digital tire gauge) and doing a tire inspection on my own motnhly.
    The good news is that 43K miles later my tires are good and perhaps out of just safety and better grip, I will replace the front tires.
    My car has been trouble free, just new brakes, oil changes, 1 set of tires and light bulbs that needed replacement.
    If I had known that leather needs a lot of care, I would have done the leather dressing on the seats. Since I neglected my seats, the leather on the driver side has a huge rip now. Otherwise I love my car.
    I used to drive hondas, I love MAZDA now!
    I am upset that Mazda decided to discontinue the car...sad!
  • jaswoodjaswood Posts: 7
    edited January 2013
    The radiator/condensing cooling blower motor is most likely the one in question. No forced radiator/condensor cooling airflow, the engine begins to overheat resulting in the A/C compressor being disabled until the engine cools down again, etc, etc, etc.....

DIY....Fan/motor can be purchased for less than $50 on Ebay.
  • Your best tires should always be on the rear. And it's not a very good idea to replace just one set of tires and end up with differing rolling circumference on an AWD vehicle.
    Mazda should have made a turbo diesel CX-7 in the US. But this is what happens when you can't figure out your identity in the marketplace and to whom you want to sell cars.
    CX-& owners
    I am dissapointed with the manner in which Mazda has failed to address the design problems of several components in the CX-7. I own a 2008 CX-7 - GT-AWD. I put 77K on the car, I did the maintenance outside of the dealership with a private mechanic. I had premature failure of key components in my car and I was told that it was all do to the lack of maintenance and oil changes.
    Obviously that is not true but the dealer and Mazda have known about key componets having major flaw designs. My fuel injectors were damage at 70K miles, the belts, and timing chain had stretched by 60K, the engine mounts kroke at 65K miles, the VVT and the turbo need replacemnt now at 77K. This car is a money pit, stay away from Mazda and their crappy cars.
    I have always owned Hiondas (drove a 91 Accord Sedan DX, 2001 Civic Lx, Acura MDX 2011) by pure accident I bought the mazda and I begin to tel you all the problems I've had with the car. Some so serious that dealership kept the car for days to fully test and troubleshoot, only to have dealer come back and tell me that I need to rebuild the engine cause they cannot pin point the source fo the problem.
  • titoetitoe Posts: 1
    Hey guys! I'm thinking of buying an almost new CX7. I really like it but I know it has been discontinued. Do you recommend buying it besides that? I'm not sure of how it will affect the resell value, spare parts, etc. Please let me know, thank you!
  • apriliaaprilia Posts: 1
    The cx7 is a piece of [non-permissible content removed]. I would have to write a book on the problems. blown turbo, both catalytic converters, turbo cooler, timing chain, rear main seal, etc. all under 77k miles. Mazda would have to pay me to drive another one of there cars.
    :lemon:
    STAY AWAY FROM MAZDA PRODucts!

I owned a CX7 2008 AWD-GT, the car was a huge money pit!
    I had the same problems and mazda neglected my claims, they just ignored all my letters.
  • gariochgarioch Posts: 1
    I have to strongly agree ,don't buy a cx7 , we bought a certified used mazda as the salesman said wouldn't the piece of mind of the 100,000 mile warranty be good to have , anyways our turned out to be one of the hundreds of cx7 which have suffered the dreaded engine death on the highway (google cx7 vvt)
    Anyway even with full service records for the car only ever having fully synthetic oil changes Mazda are not standing good to the warranty
123457»