Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Pontiac G8

Comments

• eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    murph, gas is $1.80 per gallon.
    if saving $ is your goal, maximizing mpg is probably not the best strategy currently.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Yes, either one of those could (and probably will) destroy your tranny if you don't get it fixed soon. A loose flywheel could probably destroy your engine, too, since it's connected directly to the crankshaft. The excess vibration/imbalance could potentially crack/snap the crankshaft.
  • mrpushrodmrpushrod Member Posts: 80
    4) 300 mile trips maximum MPG is 25.5 @ ~ 65MPH - 68MPH highway. The MPG does drop quite a bit in city driving but strictly highway is excellent.
  • murphy4murphy4 Member Posts: 92
    gas is mos likely not staying at $1.80, in fact where I live it is still at leat $2.00.

Thanks fo the info.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    ** SPECULATION MODE ON **

We know that my Corvette was rated at 15 \ 25.
    [ Under the current rating scheme – not the one, in effect in 2007 ]

And the G8 GT is rated [ under the same scheme ] as 15 \ 24.

** BUT ** that G8 GT highway rating is achieved with use of AFM.
    [ a.k.a. DoD ] The Corvette’s LS2 does not have AFM.
    [ Edit: My understanding is that AFM will not engage
    when in Sport \ Manual mode - ever. ]

What I expect is that instead of achieving only 1 less MPG in ** MY ** typical ex-urban highway cruising, I will see a drop of 2 or 3 or 4 MPG. When (semi-)legal I typically cruise at 70 to 75 \ 78. What I have read leads me to believe that at those speeds, AFM will rarely, if ever, activate. Though at 60 or 65 it will, assuming no headwind or upslope. My Corvette would return 27 or 28 or even a bit more, on long highway runs at those speeds, as a point of reference.

I am driving this weekend to visit friends who live on the Florida Panhandle – and there are stretches of dead level ( just above sea level ) roads, straight for miles, with little traffic ( typically ) where I hope to experiment under near ideal & controlled conditions.

Again – I will report the results when I return – next Tuesday or Wednesday, if all goes according to plan.

Clearly, the G8 is much heavier than my ‘Vette. At highway speeds, it has a much larger frontal area & is less aerodynamic. That, plus higher RPM lead me to the speculation \ guesses above.

- Ray
    Cautiously optimistic.
    2022 X3 M40i
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    I see gas going lower.....1.50 in parts of VA right now....1.90 around the DC area and falling daily...if you are concerned about fueling the car...then its not for you IMHO.....if you want to maximize MPG....get one of the 4 bangers or the 6 Cyl VVT engines out in various models these days...
    not really interested in the "4 bangers".....I want a confortable highway cruiser that I can put the 3 kids in the back when needed. My concern is if gas heads back up to $3 or higher I don't want to be stuck with a car that gets poor mileage.
    What is your definition of
    "poor mileage" ????
    2022 X3 M40i
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Have a safe and satisfying drive ans a Happy Thanksgiving! Best of luck with your new ride! It sounds fantastic!

Regards,
    OW
    i would like to at least get 25 mpg. I have a smaller car now but want something larger...spend a bit of time each week on the road. The GT is very tempting.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    My guess is that if you are concerned about $3.00 gas that you should probably not be looking at anyV8 engined cars. If your budget is so tight that a change in gas prices to $3.00 will seriously impact you, really a less expensive car taht gets better milage should be at the front of your shopping list.

Not trying to be mean, but trying to be realistic.

-mike
    Subaru Guru and Track Instructor
    Also Ray, don't forget your car is new, so you won't see max MPG until you hit about 9k-10k miles on it. Modern cars take that long to get to max MPG.

-mike
  • white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    FWIW, my 08 GMC Sierra SLT shows AFM engaged when cruising at 70-75 mph on anything other than uphill terrain (or driving into a stiff headwind). I'm sure it weighs quite a bit more than a G8 GT and is significantly less aerodynamic to boot (plus heavy 20-inch wheels/tires). The AFM also kicks in at speeds as low as 38 mph. Of course, all this could be affected by final drive ratio; my GMC has a 3.73 rear gear (but only a 4-speed auto). Could be a situation where driving 73 instead of, say, 76 could make a noticeable difference.
    The cylinder shutdown makes a big difference. In general it won't be activated at 70+ MPH except during slight downgrades. I really helps when active. I have put a total of 12 k miles on two G8s (an 08 and a 09). The 25MPG figure is fairly accurate and it is hard to get better at a reasonable speed.

Funny thing, I can coax 33-34MPG easy out of my C5 vette 6 speed Manual. It is even easy to coax good city mileage out of the vette by letting it lug in a gear too high. Nobody believes these numbers but I have proved it several times. I bettered a Toyota Matrix on HW MPG once after the owner challenged me.
    That's what less wind resistance and weight will do and the M/T driven right is just icing on the cake! Everyone should drive a 'vette!

Regards,
    OW
    mrpushrod is heroic to me and I give him bonus credit for hypermiling his vette - destroying an entire set of gatorbacks at 44 psi just to save 46 cents on fuel to dust that gas hog Matrix.
    (if you intentionally overinflate&use the inflato-spare, and drive on the painted line on side of
    road, that saves another .00014 mpg.)
    just sayin.
    seriously i would be drivin a vette but gotta have the back
    seat so i be driving the goat-naro 05 gto, which will NEVER see 30 mpg.
    (i hypermiled it and it got 24.1 instead of 23.9.)
    but it can turn in a solid 21 along with considerable vettelike characteristics.
    i wanna try me a G8 V8 with stick.
    I'd even try a V6 G8 with stick.
    At this rate it seems like the only way that will happen is if that jet-leasing GM president Lyle Waggoner flies me to australia to take a test drive down under.
    Anyone who owns a 'vette is my hero. It's the only GM left I would buy.

Regards,
    OW
    Is the vette even back in production? :)

Top Gear actually did a test of a GT3 v. Prius. Where they drove the Prius on the track at petty much track speeds as fast as the Prius could do the circuit. Then they ran the GT3 at the same lap times/speeds as the Prius, which was considerably less than flat out. The GT3 turned a significantly BETTER milage than the Prius.

-mike
    Ok, tires slightly overinflated but it is really easy to achieve 32-33MPG in the vette and better when trying hard. Personal record of 38.5MPG on a 150 mile trip (requires a truck though if you get my drift). The G8 would be a guzzler if not for the deactivation feature. We traded a town car (had lowest rear end ratio and dual exhaust) for the G8 and it did better than the G8 in our real world. But if your are a highway commuter averaging 65-70MPH believe my G8 number. It rarely fluctuates too.

As far as GM goes, that is not true. I owned a 94 impala that I really liked that. I enjoy the G8. I test drove the CTS and STS, both nice cars. The STS was much better than I anticipated, especially for a family hauler. The CTS provides a nice ride/handling balance. I bet the V is a hoot but never got the pleasure. I have never been disappointed with a Northstar V8. DTS not my cup of tea though. My vette has about 30k miles on it, bought it new. It has a few rattles (removable roof and all) but it always puts a smile on my face. I rather the fun of a RWD than the steadiness of 4WD. Torque and RWD is essential for my dose of adrenalin. I drift the rear end on just about every spin I take it on. What other cars have a HUD???

GM has made some good cars and trucks, they haven't been all bad. If they go under, there goes half the cars out there that still have gut wrenching torque.
    Well with Pontiac going the way of Oldsmobile, looks like we should be able get these G8s at a phenominal price. :)

Yippie.

-mike
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Heck ya! You can get a G8 for literally dirt cheap on Ebay! Loaded V8's. Or a base model G8 for about $15k. Thats great! Why in the world would one buy a G6 when you can get a loaded or similarly featured car for less. Though, you can get a G6 for cheap too! Like new 2008 models. I would certainly pick a G8 over the G6 today. Though this is a real bummer about the market values of the car, but great for the buyer. If you happen to buy used, you essentially avoided most of the hit in depreciation. I do believe the values will get better. Also if Pontiac is removed from the GM name, the G8 will become a better value. "maybe".

Also, I know that they are offering leasing opportunities on GM cars, but I think this is only a special, and will soon pull the plug on that. I think that is what was keeping the G6 going so well. When I had my 06 Honda Accord, I kid you not, it was a year later, and I was in a position to trade with no negative equity. You cannot say that about GM as often. I will trade my 08 G6 in the Spring, by then it will be a year, it should look decent by then to get out. I do not plan to keep it the full lease. I am actually appreciating all the features that GM put in the car! Very smart. But, to be honest, when I am done with this GM car, I probably won't be back. I am a Honda guy, but with other cars looking so sleek and modern, it'll be tough!
    If GM goes under what am I going to drive?

What am I going to trade my G8 in for a Accord??? Or my vette in for a TL? Maybe a Avalon would make a nice family car. I could let my mother do the driving.
  • etcarrolletcarroll Member Posts: 87
    Ray -

Along with mpg, I'd appreciate your thoughts on the seating position.

I'm 6'3" and head and shoulder room are important to me.

Gene
  • actualsizeactualsize Member Posts: 451
    No problem at all Gene. I'm 6'2" and I fit easily. I also have tons of room in the back seat when the front is still adjusted to suit me.

And the sunroof isn't a problem, either.

Dan

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test

I took my first trip in the new G8 GT “ex-urban” = outside the Atlanta metro area last weekend.

I drove a total of over 700 miles.
    My drive, each way ( Duluth, GA to the Fla. Panhandle ) is almost exactly 350 miles each way. One ‘leg’ = 3 hours is approx. 200 miles of interstate, with limits varying from 55 in a few construction zones to 70 MPH. The other leg is approx. 150 miles, also 3 hours, because it is primarily speed limited to no more than 55 MPH, and includes a significant amount of 2 lane, through small towns & around Tallahassee - with even lower limits.

The V8 is still quite ‘green’.

In 2 fills ( the first = approx. one half tank and second = approx. three quarters ) each averaged between 22 and 23 MPG, calculated by Excel. [ I had reset the MPG several times, so no verification of DIC display accuracy, yet. ] I did run some errands around where my friends live, and even ran 12 or 15 miles or so in & around Tate’s Hell – on fairly smooth but dirt roads, at 15 to 25 MPH, but otherwise, these were ‘easy’ miles & relatively good conditions, from a fuel economy standpoint.

At one level, I find these results somewhat disappointing. As I have written here, I expected that AFM \ DoD would allow 'real world' cruising MPG to meet or exceed the EPA number of 24. This trip, I was in no great hurry & did not cruise at much above “2 or 3 MPH over the limit”. I tried no ‘hypermiling tricks’, but drove conservatively.

The temp was moderate and A/C was off for most of the time.
    I kept the gear lever in “S” – not “M” to insure that AFM would engage whenever appropriate.
    I utilized WOT ( or nearly ) only a few times during each tank’s run – typically to merge onto Interstates.
    Over half the driving is over fairly level terrain.
    I used cruise control wherever safe.

I was expecting higher numbers.

I have driven the exact same route about a dozen times, and this is the fifth car I have driven to my friends’ house. I had expected 25. 22.5 does not thrill me. My Corvette returned just over 28 under near identical conditions – even when nearly new.

Tests at steady cruise on straight, level deserted roads:
    Cruise set at 60\61 = 25-26 MPG.
    Cruise set at 62\63 = 26-27 MPG.
    Cruise set at 65\66 = 25-26 MPG.

Again, A/C = off, Cruise = on, and enough DIC display cycles to verify reasonable accuracy. . .
    These are all I had time for, before traffic intruded.

That’s all I know.
    I will add, as I have posted here before, that I certainly did NOT select the G8 GT expecting the same MPG as my Corvette. I did expect to meet or exceed the EPA number, under conditions like these.
    And, with premium gasoline currently near $2.00 / gallon, an additional 2 or 3 MPG would only save me something like $5.00/week – driving 15,000 miles per year.
    Not enough to trouble me much . . .
    - Ray
    Still hoping for an improvement as break-in proceeds . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    Ray, How many miles were on the G8. You say the AC was off, but were the windows open?
    Miles @ start of trip: 234 miles.
    Sunroof open @ "full vent", other windows closed.
    Seats = I found them very comfortable & supportive...
    - Ray
    Another tank fill scheduled for tomorrow AM...
    2022 X3 M40i
  • pafromflpafromfl Member Posts: 47
    I did expect to meet or exceed the EPA number, under conditions like these.

Does your gas contain ethanol? The gas mileage of my three cars drops from 7% to 10% when using E10. Modern engines are optimized for gasoline. It's hard to tell, but I suspect E10 interferes with the cylinder shutoff in my 300C on interstate highways.
    You will exceed the highway MPG by 1. The vehicle needs to be broken in. I tested two broken-in G8s and achieved 25mpg.
    "Does your gas contain ethanol? "
    No.
    2022 X3 M40i
    Two more data points, for those playing along at home:

Point 1:
    I filled the tank early this AM.
    Traveled 296 miles since filled.
    Gage showed just under a quarter tank remaining.
    “RANGE” showed 87 miles.
    Fill took 14.0 gallons of premium – at $1.86.9/gal.
    That is 21.1 MPG.
    DIC showed 21.7 MPG.
    Approx two thirds of this tank was a portion of the Interstate leg driving home from my Florida trip = 65 to 73 MPH.
    The other third was my usual commute, in & out of MidTown Atlanta.

Point 2:
    As soon as I filled the tank, I drove my typical inbound commute.
    Warm engine, A/C off.
    This is approx 18+ miles of Interstate, starting at approx 5:45AM – so reasonable traffic – no cruise control – speeds generally 60 to 75 MPH.
    When I left the Interstate, for the final 3 miles or so of surface street driving, the DIC showed 22.4 MPG.
    Driven identically, under the same conditions, my Corvette’s DIC would show 28 to 29 MPG.

Car: 2009 G8 GT – just passed 1,000 miles.
    - Ray
    Hoping for some improvement, once she is broken-in . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    rayain software, how do ya know the fuel doesn't contain ethanol?
    is there a specific-gravity test like the little turkey-baster with tiny floating balls inside for testing car batteries?
    i understand that all "gasoline" in USA has a nonzero and nontrivial amount of ethanol, but i'd prefer to be wrong about that.
    My understanding is that many states
    ( including GA ) must label if \ when any
    significant amount:

http://www.fuel-testers.com/state_guide_ethanol_laws.html

Georgia - GA (1.5 % or higher)
    2022 X3 M40i
  • pafromflpafromfl Member Posts: 47
    how do ya know the fuel doesn't contain ethanol

The E10 pumps in Florida should have a sticker (sometimes very hard to spot) stating "contains up to 10% ethanol". It is getting very hard to find pure gasoline in much of Florida because the State Energy Act lawmakers passed this spring requires all gasoline sold in Florida be 10% ethanol by 2010. This will give a huge boost to the auto, boat, and small engine repair industry.
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    Pontiac is not going anywhere. That said, it will likely get down sized to 2-3 cars and merge with Buick or Saturn. I don't believe GM will kill any brands but merging them and keeping the best models makes a lot of sense for restructuring.

G8 and Solstice are the only 2 Pontiacs I like but I do like them A LOT!
    From everything I'm reading, Pontiac and Buick will get axed, even if GM doesn't go bankrupt.

Either way, the Pontiac dealers here in NY/NJ will not budge below the Red Tag Pricing, so I've changed my mind completely, not only because they won't bargain, but they have a very cocky, unhumble attitude for a company on the brink of collapse! So instead I'll pickup an STi with 63 months of 0% financing!

-mike
    I think you will realize you made a better choice for your money right now. Its too bad, those people are going against their own company. Its too late to salvage any pride now, they'll have to scrape themselves off the cement and try again. You subaru will be worth more in the long run too.

I am really bummed that I cannot get out of my 08 G6 now, because Honda is offering amazing deals on their Accord, and 09 Acura TSX. I would imagine they would still be good in the Spring.
    “Either way, the Pontiac dealers here in NY/NJ will not budge below the Red Tag Pricing, so I've changed my mind completely, not only because they won't bargain, but they have a very cocky, unhumble attitude for a company on the brink of collapse! So instead I'll pickup an STi with 63 months of 0% financing!”

Well – do what you want, obviously.
    I do find this odd.
    Every dealer in NY & NJ has this attitude?
    You talked with someone at each?

But seriously, I have purchased out of state
    [ NC – I live in GA ]
    not that long ago, due to the local
    dealers attitudes, etc.

I find it odd that anyone would walk away from
    a car they had actually decided was the best fit,
    for them, based on
    interactions with local dealers.

I bought my G8 from a dealer further away from me
    than at least 6 other dealers that handle the
    Pontiac brand . .

I was treated well & I was satisfied with the fair
    [ and fairly aggressive ] price and also the
    overall transaction & experience.

My experience has been that sales reps attitude,
    knowledge & willingness to work for a sale vary
    rather dramatically even within a dealership.

The ** ONLY ** person at the dealership where I
    bought my Corvette that I would ever consider
    buying another vehicle from [ I have had interactions
    with most of the rest of the sales staff,
    often while the ‘Vette was in for service ]
    was the one I did buy from. The rest were [ ahem ]
    not worth anything.

YMMV – rather widely.

Cheers,
    - Ray
    Enjoy the Sti !!
    2022 X3 M40i
    While I didn't go to *Every* dealer in NY/NJ area, I did hit up about 8-10 of them. All with almost the same attitude. Cocky, I don't have to deal, we aren't going anywhere, you can take it or leave it at the Red-Tag price attitude.

Now how is this going to be when it comes time to get my car serviced, or if I should need warranty work? Will they cop the same attitude? Highly likely.

If I were to have 8-10 bad servers at Applebees, I think that I would pretty much nix that chain off my list. Same goes for Pontiac. As much as I did like the car, I am not of the camp that there is only 1 car out there. I realize that buying a car also means how well will I be taken care of when I have 90,000 miles and need to get a part replaced under my extended factory warranty, etc.

I really really wanted to buy an American-branded car this time around, but just as I was about to pull the trigger, I was reminded like a slap in the face, why I had left the American Car Market in the first place.

Oh well! Maybe in 5 years they will have gotten their act together when I'm next due for a car.

-mike
    Yep, I would avoid GM. I know I won't be back when I leave my 08 GM car anytime now.
    Both of you have just purchased a GM and Chrysler. You may as well get a good balanced (RWD) vehicle out of the deal. Why leave your money (17 Bil plus) on the table??? I had the best experience I have ever had with a dealership on my G8. I bought one of the 1st G8s off the line which had a design flaw. GM and the dealership stood behind the product.

I knew the gov. had to bail out the auto company's. We can't afford to pay the health insurance, unemployment, and all the legacy baggage leftover from the UAW deals. GM pays more non-working than working employees.

The best that can happen out of this deal is that maybe somebody can get the UAW workers to concede a bit. Maybe even put the American companies on a level playing field as the transplants.

That said, we still need jobs. Sending a check to Japan every time somebody purchases an auto is not wise. It should be getting more and more apparent that, we can't get the best health insurance, make the top salaries, etc and at the same time shop at Wall mart for everything we purchase. My kids are going to have to pay for this ignorance.
    That said, we still need jobs. Sending a check to Japan every time somebody purchases an auto is not wise. It should be getting more and more apparent that, we can't get the best health insurance, make the top salaries, etc and at the same time shop at Wall mart for everything we purchase. My kids are going to have to pay for this ignorance.

So you feel that I should buy an American car even though, in my mind they have not proven to me that their service or product is superior? I should "settle" and pay more for less just to support an American company? Perhaps if they pulled their collective heads from their behinds and realized that if they made a superior product and a lower cost with better service, then folks would flock to them!

I'm also assuming here they EVERY SINGLE PRODUCT you own is made in the US. Is the computer you are typing on right now American Made? Are the clothes you wear 100% american? Didn't think so.

Where were you and the rest of the "buy american" whiners when my Italian-American Ancestors were put out of jobs because the clothes making industry moved over seas? It's only when it's convienient or "hip" to support a cause.

We should never have bailed these companies out. They made poor decisions and now it's time to pay for it. Who the heck is going to bail me out if I were to create a company that LOST money? No one.

This is the adult equivalent to "No Child Left Behind". You fail in school, it's ok, you'll pass anyway. You aren't the best soccer player in HS, that's ok, you get a trophy, everyone is a winner. You build a company that fails, that's ok, the government will bail you out so you aren't a failer as an adult either! It truely disgusts me since I've worked my [non-permissible content removed] off going to school, getting a job, working hard, SAVING my money, to pay for FAILURES. This is NOT the American way!

-mike
    The title is "Avoid GM". That is the issue I have. Nothing is made in America any more. I too worked my [non-permissible content removed] off too. I worked my way to a Software development manager after 25 years of high tech. I now own a business in the different field. The buisness will get whacked next year with higher taxes as we turn to a socialistic country.

I have seen the ignorance of my wifes family who were/are all union workers collecting pensions. They worked for cities, states and companies building defense products (government again). They all get fat pensions, free medical, etc. They think they really paid their way for all this just by getting up in the morning and putting in time at a company for 30 years. Most of them are lackluster performers especially by the standards I have seen working for both small and large high tech firms..

They are all on the take. Some even use the VA hospitals and get military pensions even though they have piles of money in the bank and no permanent physical damage from war. Take take take. Ironically, they all drive imports too. Imports aren't always the best deals. Yet like a lot of the people that post in these BLOGS, they will not even take an American car for a test drive because they may have gotten burnt by an American [non-permissible content removed] they purchased after the big three retooled to start making smaller cars after the first energy crises.

Most people don't know that the big three make more reliable cars than vehicles that come from Europe. Or that ford beats Nissan and ties Honda and Toyota in quality. Or that GM and ford make the most fuel efficient pickup, mid size and large SUV.

The point here is to try buy from an American company when you can. It is counter productive to avoid American companies when they produce a comparable product. We need jobs to survive and to pass on the same opportunity we had to our kids.

Since America developed the internet (I was part of the internet development craze i.e. Clinton boom years) it is ironic that all of technological edge we had went over the wire to other countries.

Now if we have no technological advantage, do you want to work for $10 a day in a sweat shop to compete with some of these countries?

BTW, I own 4 networked HP computers along with a huge variety high tech gadgets, software and misc. products for my business. I always purchase from an American company when possible. The products may or may not be made here but the profit and more stays here. HP makes an awesome product, why purposelessly go out and by a Sony???

In the case of the G8, if you ask me, it is a superior product for the money than anything Honda, Toyota or Nissan makes. I test drove them all. And purchasing one will help GM get to an alternate energy car first which will help the country. I felt the same way about my F150 and corvette purchase (my other two vehicles).

I also test drove a CTS (would love to try the CTS V) and STS. I would highly recommend those two vehicles too. Or even a Ford Fusion for anyone looking for a reliable, roomy FWD car on on a low budget.

Furthermore, when my Italian ancestors were put out of a job (actually they all owned their own businesses and ended up fairly wealthy in America), things were different. It was a local, NOT global economy in America. There were jobs (good high tech ones too) to take the place of the cloth makers.

This is not the correct forum for this, but I am sick of people purposely trying to sink the country which is in an extremely vulnerable position at this time.

And BTW, I agree with most of what you said with one big exception. It is really the UAW that killed the big three. Making larger higher profit vehicles is almost a must if you carry $2500 per a vehicle premium that is inflicted by legacy union deals and higher wages that the UAW demands over the import transplant factories. It is not a level playing field which is one of the things I would demand to be corrected prior to giving them the bailout.

You must feel the anger I feel when one of them gets on TV and refuses to concede on anything. They think it is their god given right to collect 95% of their salary when they are out of work. If GM goes under, we will be supporting these bums.
    Now you're talking! My Dad was put out of work despite being a long time member of the ILGWU because the jobs evaporated. It's time for cars now.

The huge sucking sound off-shore has been growing louder over the last 30 years and even if we spend $200B, the ashes of F, GM and C will own no more than 15% market share combined at the end of the day unless we completely close off the borders! The cars that are produced just don't compete, period. Perhaps soon...

This bailout is a convenience to Bankruptcy. Wait and see.

Regards,
    OW
    Actually I think your absolutely wrong. GM & Ford will prevail. I have been reading about some of GMs hybrid and electric car technology and I believe they will come out in front if they get over this hurdle. For example, GM put the electric motor/starter/generator in the transmission of their pickup trucks. A cool design.

The Americans invented the minivan/SUV. It is Toyota & Nissan that copied our pickup trucks. In my 25 years of engineering, all I ever seen from Japan were copies. They never seem to come up with original ideas. When I attended ANSI meetings for disk drive development, Japan merely supplied people with cameras.

Ford even had antilock brakes in their 69 Tbird. I drove all the imports prior to purchasing the G8. The vehicles from Europe were out of the price range and the cars from Japan (Honda, Toy, Niss) were front heavy under steering FWD boring to drive vehicles.

Again, the eyes of all American's are on the UAW. If that problem is fixed and GM/Ford can spend their fair share on R&D. We will regain our market share. Just look at Honda's lineup. All front heavy junks. Even their Acura brand is still producing FWD and just started with AWD.

At least Cadillac realized the big mistake they made copying Toy & Honda and changed the drive wheels back to RWD.

It is very easy to say GM sucks, but I would rather you inform me about technological advances that the Japan group has that will make them prevail going forward. The American's have steadily improved on reliability and have almost caught up. The will eventually easily surpass Japan because they improve more than Japan each year.

I would like to think it will be America that develops the battery that carries us the next 25 years.

I do have a few questions: If you want to see the American car companies go down the tube so badly, where is it that you think we should be focusing in the future for jobs? Do you want us to focus on low tech items such as weaving baskets for the world?
    What is it that you do for a living Circlew? Do you feel you are an inferior thinker/worker when compared to your counter part of other countries?

A car is a big ticket high tech item that every adult owns. High tech has advanced this country over others in the past. Certainly I would prefer not support other countries by sending them a huge check every time we purchase a vehicle.

As an engineer, I would like to think Americans are every bit as intelligent and maybe a little more creative at this point in time. Don't you think we can produce a better vehicle if our manufacturing labor rates were equal?
    And BTW, I agree with most of what you said with one big exception. It is really the UAW that killed the big three. Making larger higher profit vehicles is almost a must if you carry $2500 per a vehicle premium that is inflicted by legacy union deals and higher wages that the UAW demands over the import transplant factories. It is not a level playing field which is one of the things I would demand to be corrected prior to giving them the bailout.

You can blame the UAW, however, the big-3 agreed to those contracts. Again, I blame those who are/were running the businesses at the time they agreed to said contracts. Why did they agree? Greed. There was plenty of money to go around at the time, they didn't look to the future.

Similar to your own and my own businesses. If we blow all the cash we are making profit on today, we won't have $ for the lean times or the times when we need to have cash. The big 3 didn't care because they were making a ton of cash, they were ALL living high on the hog and now it's time to pay.

You must feel the anger I feel when one of them gets on TV and refuses to concede on anything. They think it is their god given right to collect 95% of their salary when they are out of work. If GM goes under, we will be supporting these bums.

I agree, however, I don't care that they GM, Ford and Chrysler all go down. The basis of capitalism are not in bailouts, subsidies, and what not. Both the execs, UAW, and the Feds giving the $ make me sick!

In my particular case the G8 was going to be my 3rd "fun" car and I will have just as much fun with my STi, I really really gave them a shot, test drove the car, and went to several dealers with very bad results. Unfortunately their dealer network customer experience killed the sale for me. I also didn't feel that $30k was a good price on the car in today's economic environment!

-mike
    As an engineer, I would like to think Americans are every bit as intelligent and maybe a little more creative at this point in time. Don't you think we can produce a better vehicle if our manufacturing labor rates were equal?

I agree, however in a world economy, we can not compete in terms of the manufacturing and labor rates with other countries. Not unless the labor realizes that as an auto worker, or what not you are not entitled to own a caddy and a mcmansion. The problem with the country these days is that everyone feels they are entitled to have a Mc Masion a Caddilac and work 40hrs a week. Have a summer home and a boat. Unfortunately everyone wants to be a chief and no one wants to be an indian anymore. This is what is bringing down America, no one is humble anymore and no one wants to work hard to get ahead.

:(

-mike
    went to several dealers with very bad results.

As a engineer and a business man, I can assure you that not being able to negotiate a deal on a new vehicle is actually a character flaw.

I have always been able to buy the product I want and at a good deal. I would never steer away from one product or another just because of a salesman. When i don't get what I want I start bashing heads. You can always get a fair deal with the right techniques. I would have started bashing heads until I spoke to the owner of the dealership.

In fact it was the owner of the dealership that resolved the issue I had with my first G8.

How can you be giving advise important issues such as; How we should handle the auto industry, what is good for the country, etc when you steer away from a car because you are not capable negotiating a good deal?

Come on here, who am I talking to??? I wish I had the opportunity to put egg on your face by going into the same dealer ships and teaching you the art of negotiation.
    I've negotiated MANY deals on MANY cars and on lots of things over the years. I was a commodities trader for many years as well, so negotiating is not something new for me.

However, when several dealers flat-out say "We won't go a penny under $30k" and have a completely lack luster attitude, there is no need to further negotiate with them, they let me walk out the door and as a result my $30k will go to someone else. Sometimes you vote with your $ rather than squeezing every penny out of someone, only to have them short change you on another end.

I'm glad you are happy with your car and glad you are supporting the failing american auto industry. You must be very well off that you can afford to subsize a business that clearly does not want to gain more customers!

-mike
    Don't you think we can produce a better vehicle if our manufacturing labor rates were equal?

Well, we can produce inferior vehicles at higher labor rates, so I am hoping the inverse is possible. I don't want to see the B3 go down. It's been happening for years and I was still a customer until the 2003 Denali proved to me quality is just not there.

When the products that we make are better than the world, we will create jobs, don't you agree? Until 2008 nothing GM was desireable. Now they wake up to a business model that's been failing with not enough time and effort to change. Like you said, cars/trucks are a big ticket item and you need to plan well in advance for meeting market demands.

Even though I am fully against a bailout because it will cost more than a structured reorg, Let's see what the government can add to the mix to sell.

Regards,
    OW
This discussion has been closed.