Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Yukon / Yukon Denali

Comments

• brjohnsonbrjohnson Member Posts: 10
    Tom,

I am assuming you have used all the menu options available...there is a setting on mine that says "Auto" y or N, if this is set, the screen will automatically change every 90 days to a new color combo to save on the screen drivers. If you change this to N and then choose from one of the 4 settings, see if this will work. If not, I would check with the dealership on it.
  • vdoefxvdoefx Member Posts: 6
    Thanks very much for the comment..

The problem wasn't the settings, it was a broken twilight sensor! Dealer repaired at no cost to us.

--Tom
  • wcbtkwcbtk Member Posts: 2
    I have a 04 DXL and have a problem with a blower surge coming from the heating system. The surge is occurring only on the front passenger side. I took it to the dealer 2X and they said that it was acting normal. The problem still exists but only when the Heat is on, no surge when the AC is used. Has anyone been able to determine what is causing this surge to occur??

In addition, the climate control does not always get hot unless it is turn up to 90 dgerees. When set at anything less then 90, it feels like it is set at 65. Any similar issues?
  • 02tahoe202tahoe2 Member Posts: 2
    My 02 Tahoe just started doing the same thing. Have you solved the problem?
  • hitenhiten Member Posts: 12
    Got 04 Denali with approx 50K miles on it. I am thinking about replacing the spark plugs. Has anyone use Bosch Plat +4 before?
  • lou747jeepslou747jeeps Member Posts: 5
    Changing spark plugs at 50,000 miles seems too soon to me. The new plantium spark plugs are recommended to be changed at 100,000 miles.

I changed the spark plugs in the Olds Silhouette for the first time at 140,000 miles. They were still going strong with no problems, but I wanted to make sure they did not get cemented to the head. I replaced them with the Bosch Plat +4. I like the plugs so far. I now have 176,000 miles. I like the idea that you don't seem to need to gap the plugs. Also, they shouldn't burn open like most plugs. When I replaced the original plugs, they were burn't open pretty wide, but the computer obvioulsy adjusted for this since they ran great up til the time they were removed.
  • neo6neo6 Member Posts: 24
    I have a 06 Denali XL with less than 2K miles. About two weeks after I took delivery, it started a high pitch hum that occurs either stationary or moving. The volume of the sound increases with more RPM. It is not from the audio as it happens with either A/C or radio shut off. Took it back to the dealer and of course - "technician cannot duplicate the problem". Any ideas? Amazing how the customer service level at GM goes to zero after you walk off the floor with a $55K vehicle..
  • blky2kdblky2kd Member Posts: 2
    the hum u hear is called a ground loop it usualy comes from after market stereos, speakers subwoofers amplifers, or dvd player if u got any of those i would check that u have good ground on all appliences and would make sure wires arent shortcircuiting anyware.
  • edcclrtedcclrt Member Posts: 1
    Is it possible to bypass the window lock so the window will go all the way down on the reardoors of a Yukon?
  • tdohtdoh Member Posts: 298
    Are you talking about how the rear passenger door windows on the short-length Yukon (i.e., not the XL version) go down only about halfway? If so, then there is no way to get them to go all the way down; look at the design/shape of the rear passenger doors and you'll see why it's not possible. Hint--compare the rear passenger doors of the Yukon vs. those of the Yukon XL or Suburban, and the reason will become obviously clear. :)

But then you might say, "How come the rear passenger door windows on the Ford Explorer are able to go all the way down?" Answer--compare the rear passenger windows on the Explorer to those on the Yukon...again, the reason will be obvious. ;)
  • njvikenjvike Member Posts: 56
    They don't go down all the way on the '03 Expedition either, however, windows do, as you stated, go all the way down on my Denali XL.

Love this Denali :shades:
  • ddegrawddegraw Member Posts: 3
    I am having the same issue with my 2002. Did anyone ever give you advise on how to correct this? Thanks!
  • awf_axisawf_axis Member Posts: 136
    I had a 2001 Denali that did this when-ever my wife was there, never when I sat there. Must be my fatness.

Anyway, it took 3 different visits to the dealer (3 replacements) until it finally was resolved.

Dave
  • freddie01yxldfreddie01yxld Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Denali XL with 57,442 miles on it. I just had 4 new Goodyear Forterra Triple Tires Installed, Mounts and Balanced.
    On the Interstate traveling more than 65 mph, I feel vibration and the ride gets shaky.
    Could it be shocks/struts???
    Is anyone knowledgeable of an exact occurrence? :confuse:
  • caljetcaljet Member Posts: 1
    So what ocurred?

Mine just went out while driving. Pulled over, shut off engine had electricty, but unable to start. Uncertain if GMC will warranty it, as they think it may be a short of sorts, due to a dime was in the cigarette lighter~!
    Dealer stated my truck computer would not register with their diagnosics machine. Last reference on dash was stability systems was not working. Anyone else have issue & how was it resolved?
    That reminds me...

2005 Denali with Nav - does *ANYONE* know how to make a working copy of the DVD? I really don't want to spend $200 on a backup disc.

--Tom
    Dave, wow- 3 replacements? I think I'll just pull the belt out and wedge a quarter in the slot in the seat when she's riding!. Is there actually a replacement part? Looks like the seat has to be torn apart to get it in. Can't be cheap...

Darrell
  • tdohtdoh Member Posts: 298
    If $200 is too much, then there's always Ebay...

All I can say in regards to your question is...Google is your best friend...since I don't think it would be proper to disclose in this forum as to exactly how one could be made. ;)
  • tharris1tharris1 Member Posts: 1
    MY 03 YUKON MAKES A LOUD RATTLE WHEN ACCELERATING WITH THE A/C ON. IF I DONT TAKE MY FOOT OFF THE GAS I BREAK MY AC BELT. ANYBODY KNOW WHY. THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN ALL THE TIME BUT I HAVE REPLACED THE BELT THREE TIMES IN THE PAST YEAR. COULD THIS BE THE TENSIONER? :sick:
    Darrel,

Sorry for the delay answer. The belt mechanism is a modular piece, that is accessible without any invasive work on the seats. On my repair orders, it was charged at .25 hrs (15 minutes)labor.

Dave
  • jrsctsvjrsctsv Member Posts: 2
    My 2002 Denali XL's transmission cooler failed mixing transmission fluid and coolant in the radiator. Result very quickly is slipping transmission. Car has 74000 miles, all normal family driving, never towed anything or did any off roading. The cost of the repair was over $3000; extended warranty paid $2000. I looked on the internet and quickly found this to be a common problem. Apparently the trans cooler is inside the radiator and therefore you can't detect the failure until you have a problem. One sign is coolant and trans fluid mixed in the overflow tank for the radiator, but by then your transmission will be ruined.
    I called GM to see if they would help cover the cost of my portion of the repair. They ultimately came back and said no since I take the car to an independent repair shop, even though they referred this issue to a GM dealer.
    I have been a loyal GM buyer, now am very disappointed. A part that is designed to extend the life of the transmission fails and causes early problems. Seems like they should own up to this. This is my last GM vehicle. If you are driving this car, watch out for this problem.
  • alexp98alexp98 Member Posts: 4
    I bought a brand new '05 Yukon Denali XL and haven't had any major problems. Lately, though, I've noticed when I park my vehicle outside for several hours or more that I hear a grinding or a metal on metal sound whenever I step on the brakes. It goes away after driving for a couple of minutes. I've taken it to the dealer and they've told me that it's condensation from the hot brakes and cold air that causes that noise. At first, I accepted that reasoning, but then why has it only started recently. If it were true, then I would have heard it since the beginning. My SUV is normally garaged so I don't hear any grinding whenever I pull out and step on the brakes. It's just whenever it's parked outside on a cold night. I'm afraid it could become worse.
    I've driven 36K miles on it mostly highway so the brake pads are still fairly thick. I think there's 5mm on the most worn out of pads and 8mm on the other axle.
    Anybody else have this problem?
    Have you checked to see if a coating of rust develops during the night?
  • alexp98alexp98 Member Posts: 4
    Yes, there isn't any rust. That is the same thing the service rep asked me.
    A good example was about 2 weeks ago. I parked my SUV outside from 2PM until 11PM. I don't think there would have been enough time for rust to form or is that enough time for some sort of film to coat the rotors?
  • 07denalitx07denalitx Member Posts: 4
    I have taken delivery of an 07 Denali with NAV and no camera (I couldn't wait). Does anyone know if the wiring harness is in the liftgate so that I can simply connect the camera when it becomes available??
    Thanks, Dave. Will take it in and have them fix it!
  • hitenhiten Member Posts: 12
    Does anyone know if 04 Denali is equipped with a fuel filter? I went to a GM dealer this morning and they called me back saying that 04 denali's are not equipped with a fuel filter.

just curious if anyone came across this?
  • bpotts1bpotts1 Member Posts: 3
    I am having the same exact problem and the mechanic I took my car to said that he has seen this exact thing (3) times in the past couple weeks but cannot fix it. I replaced by belt and tensioner but this did not work. The sound actually got worse. I am taking the car to a dealer today and we'll see what happens. This should be a recall issue if it is that common. Let me know if you find anything out. (I have an 03 Yukon 5.3L)
  • steins4steins4 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same trouble with my 03. I had to replace the A/C compressor. The GMC dealer paid for it because I had just purchased the vehicle 3 months ago (it would have cost around $500).

I hope your trouble is not as severe.
  • ssbmgssbmg Member Posts: 7
    I also had my AC belt break off. I had to replace the AC compressor and condenser. I found the compressor refurbished online for a couple hundred bucks and with the condenser and a couple other minor parts had the entire AC system replaced for less than 500 total. Make sure that you flush out the AC lines before installing a new compressor. When my original compressor went dead, it sent metal particles throughout my AC lines and if I didn't (luckily) have it flushed prior to running the new system, it would've seized up and had to be replaced again!
    I took my car to the GMC dealer and it looks like I will have to replace my compressor as well. I hear that this is a common problem. Does anyone know if this is a potential recall item or has anyone else been able to get GMC to cover this? My car is an '03 with 88,000 mi and I dont have an extended warranty. They are qutoing me between $600-$1000 to fix.
  • gotbassgotbass Member Posts: 1
    ok so i have a 2003 GMC Yukon 4X4 with a 5.3L V8. i just installed a K&N FIPK. got some great horspower out of it but, i noticed that the engine is idleing lower, at about 500 RPMs as opposed to its usual 1000 RPMs. can some one please tell me how to correct this problem.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Have you tried removing the K&N FIPK? Just to see if that's the cause of the problem?
  • fletesrivfletesriv Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem ('02 Denali XL). My general mechanic says AC compressor is OK, but possible AC system needs service or repair - look for an AC repair shop. I don't like the GMC Dealer because they will want to replace parts A-Z just to make sure. I replaced belt, tensioner - this fixed it for a few days, but now back to knocking. Last night it ejected all the refrigerant, as if system is clogged. A friend tells me to simply do maintenace on it, replace orifice, flush system, vacuum and refill. What was done to your vehicle to fix this?? Maintenance or Repair?
    I had the dealership replace the AC compressor and it worked. The idiots put too much freon in at first so it still knocked but I took it back, they let some out, and it worked. Cost $850.
  • helpmyyukonhelpmyyukon Member Posts: 1
    My Yukon won't start. The starter goes "Clank" like the gears are engaging the flywheel, but there is no cranking. The battery is less than a month old (just had it checked tonight) and the starter is new (bought tonight, even though the one I took off this afternoon tested good at Autozone) the alternator is only a month old. I turned the engine with a socket from the pulley and it spun easily. Last month my wife finifshed a 600 mile trip and the Yukon wouldn't start after she parked (dead battery). So I changed the alternator and battery, then, and it ran like a champ. But yesterday it wouldn't turn over. The last time this happened two years ago I changed the starter, battery and alternator. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • johnchajohncha Member Posts: 2
    I made a copy of version 4.1 and it works better than the original. You must have DVD burner that will do a dual layer burn and use dual layer disks. The file is so large that only a dual layer has the capacity. I have a phillips DVD burner and used Sonic software. Selected "Dulicate Original" and 35 minutes later I had a copy. THe original would occasionally fail to load. The copy works every time.
    Thank you for bringing this up. We've been trying to make a copy of our 2005 Denali v3.1 disc and have gone through at least a dozem coasters :)

Can you tell me where you obtained the "Sonic software" to burn the DVD with?

Also, did you have to use "Booktype" to simulate a ROM burn on the dual layer DVD?

Did you burn at the lowest speed possible?

And, what media did you use?

Was it DVD+ or DVD-?

Once again, thank you very much for the info!

--Tom
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Did you try playing with the gear selector handle. Sometimes the vehicle won't start if it isn't locked in park or neutral.

Sounds to me like a bad alternator thats under charging the battery or a bad voltage regulator.
  • johnchajohncha Member Posts: 2
    Sonic Record Now came on my Dell system. In this case it was version 7.1. It did not give me any choices other than "Make an exact copy of a disk"
    No speed or other choices.
    I used a Verbatim DVD+ R DL
    I made a second one just for fun and it worked fine as far as I could tell.
    Just dumb luck I guess.
    I did this in the first place because my factory disk would fail to load about one out of ten times. At this point the copy has been flawless for about 30 starts.
  • bctbct Member Posts: 8
    It sounds like the starter is not shimmed properly. I had a GMC Jimmy that did the same thing to me. If the shims are set too far down the starter will not engage the flywheel fully but if it set too far up it will not hit the teeth and will just slam into the flywheel. Or it could be that the original starter just went and you got a bad one fron autozone, there quality control on rebuilt parts is not the best.
    Using a different size spare is not good for a four wheel drive vehicle. Even on two wheel drive you should put the smaller size spare on the non-drive wheels. It will screw up your dif.
    My 99 was made in Texas, same plant as the Escalade. The regular Yukons where made somewhere else, not sure exactly where but knowing GM it was most likely Canada.
  • jan01jan01 Member Posts: 9
    HI ALL I HAVE A 2004 YUKON AND SOMETIMES IT GOES INTO NEUTRAL ON MY FOUR WHEEL DRIVE BUTTON. WHAT COULD BE CAUSING THIS BROBLEM. HELP THANKS JAN01
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
  • jennmwjennmw Member Posts: 5
    Wasn't sure where to post this but we just last week a 2004 Yukon. Love it! But, when you turn it sounds like there is a pop coming from the steering column. It does so more when you turn right than left. Anyone have this problem? I kind of noticed it when we test drove it but decided against getting looked at because for one it is still under manufacturer's warranty and we got an extended warranty that virtually covers everything so we took our chances.

Thanks!
    Absolutely take it to the dealer. There is a known issue with noise in the steering column while turning.

Our '05 had the same noise, and they fixed it under waranty.

Welcome to the club!

--Tom
    Please go to the group top level and create a discussion that fits your comments/questions or post in an existing discussion.

GMC Yukon
    Enjoy!
  • jtallenjtallen Member Posts: 2
    Did you ever get your Denali fixed? If so, what was wrong with it? Mine did the same thing. :sick: