Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Pontiac G8

Comments

• etcarrolletcarroll Member Posts: 87
    Ray - I seem to recall you and I being tall from old discussion in Malibu thread - so - if you test the white one, would you drop the seat to lowest point, and get an idea for how much space you have between head and roof liner and report back.

I'm 6'3", but only 32" in inseam, so my height is from waist up. The Malibu has been a good fit, but it's 7 years old with 180k, time to retire it.

Gene
  • jpstax1jpstax1 Member Posts: 197
    [quote] hi walterquint. I'm a GTO owner and the G8 looks appropriate to me - especially since it will have satellite radio for 2009.

[reply] With Sirius buying XM, I wonder what will happen to my XM subscription?

[quote] If you think the current GT is inappropriate, wait until you hear about the 2009 G8 GXP (with stick-shift!). Yow!

[reply] Here are the latest posts about the G8 GXP at the gminsidenews site:

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f63/nyias-08-2009-pontiac-g8-gxp-62070/index7- .html
    Thanks for posting the link! I never thought to look at their site, even though I extended my XM subscription to 2010. So, are they saying my car will be able to pick up Sirius stations as well as XM? That would be great because my wife and I are big NASCAR fans, and Sirius has a group of channels dedicated to the drivers.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    Executive summary: I liked it. I found no flaws or shortcomings in design or execution that I’d label ‘significant’.

Brief background:
    I currently drive a C6 ( current generation, introduced in 2005 ) Corvette coupe.
    Automatic trans. with the same designation as the G8 GT – 6L80.
    It is stock, except for the exhaust.
    It is a rather more ‘intense’ driving experience, in most every way I can think of, than all but a very few sedans.

The car I drove: G8 GT w/Premium & Sport.

The drive: Down a 4 lane, divided industrial parkway – for a mile +, stopping at a couple of traffic lights, at 0 to roughly 45\50 - then through a residential area, at 15 to 35 or so. And back to the dealer’s lot.

The initial accelerator response ( drive-by-wire mapping ) was much more aggressive than I am used to, in my Corvette. I startled myself & the sales guy ( ballast ) in the right seat quite unintentionally as I turned right to merge into a gap in traffic. Transmission was in Sport, Manual \ DSC & in first gear. Hmmm. Responsive. And I expect that I could adapt. But surprising.

The acceleration was very smooth – and I expect that it would be ‘sufficient’. Saying quite a lot, coming from a ‘Vette, I think. I was fairly gentle with the throttle ( except for that first time ) given less than 25 miles on the car and the fact that I knew I would not buy this particular example – but I found a satisfying level of quickness.

The ‘rev match on downshift’ worked very well on a couple of 4 – 3 shifts. The one 3 – 2 I tried took noticeably longer – to decide what RPM to order up? Other than that one anomaly (?), the trans. behaved much as I had expected. Since in my last 4 or 5 cars, I almost never drive in anything but ‘manual’ mode, that’s all I tried.

The one other related oddity that I noticed is that in Manual Mode ( Driver Shift Control ), the DIC displayed the gear selected in large numbers, in the center of the display ( after I had selected it via the shift lever ) but then quickly reverted to showing the ‘current’ gear selected in small characters, along the very bottom of the display. I would much prefer to keep that large, central display at all times, at least while in DSC \ manual mode. Oh, well. Or a HUD, like in my Corvette & my last Grand Prix. ( I know, I know . . . )

I ran the whole test drive route ( probably 2.5 or 3 miles, at most ) with the left front ( driver’s ) window down a half inch or so, the right rear window down an inch, and the sound system off. Climate control system also turned off.

The car was very quite. It seemed solid & well bolted \ screwed \ glued together. No rattles, squeaks, moans or groans – even over a few stretches of deteriorated, patched & uneven pavement.

I did detect just a hint of a lovely, V8 exhaust note – comprehensively stomped upon by the stock muffler system. I doubt I could make it 1,000 miles before doing SOMETHING to let a bit more of that tone out . . .

I did not stress the handling, at all. I believe the various publications regarding absolute cornering power numbers, etc. I was much more interested in the steering response and feel. It seemed quite acceptable. Though I will require at least a short stint at highway speeds. Before the final ‘buy’ decision.

I found the ride very comfortable & well damped at all times.

After the drive I opened the rear door & sat in the left rear, behind the driver’s seat adjusted to my liking. Excellent room & very good comfort.

I also opened & shut the doors a few times. Seemed solid.

Notes:
    1 - The tire pressures ( checked after the drive, but likely not much higher than when cold – given low speeds & short distance traveled ) were 36\7 front and 41\2 rear.

2 - I took the ‘Vette over most of the same test drive route, immediately after I gave back the keys. This confirmed & re-emphasized that the G8’s ride is really quite impressive. Particularly with the 19” wheels & tires.

3 - I expect that a significant part of the ride difference between my car and the G8 is the ‘Vette has run-flats. With rather stiff sidewalls than the ‘Stones on the G8 GT Sport.

Conclusion:
    I will ( as stated ) require a bit more seat time – at somewhat higher speeds, to make a final determination. But, based on all the impressions posted by the kind folks on this & other forums, I expect that a G8 GT will be my next Sport Sedan. Probably a 2009. In 3 to 6 months. For me, the G8 GT w/Premium, Sport & a Sunroof looks like the right combination of sport & utility & price.

I see this as a very impressive effort by Pontiac \ Holden. And a Bargain, with a capital ‘B’ – even at full list price. Though if anyone tells a Dealer sales person I said that – I will deny it.

Seriously, I was quite pleased.

- Ray
    Impressed.
    2022 X3 M40i
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Ray, thank you for your feedback. I have a real good feeling about this car and will test drive it soon as well. Considering my 330xi, I will try to compare the G8 to this with an unbiased approach as you have done.

I will be eager to read your further review after your highway test. It's good to see a winning combination at Pontiac again.

Regards,
    OW
    "Considering my 330xi"
    Do you mean a ( new ) 335xi?
    I did not think BMW made a 330xi...?
    My 3 drives in 335s have impressed me...
    - Ray
    Unbiased?
    2022 X3 M40i
    Ray, I have a 2006 330xi. I sat in the newly delivered G8 tonight at my local dealer after a quick visit to the BMW dealer across the road.

I compared the sport seats in the 335i and the new 135i with regards to seating position, room, space, etc,

The G8 had the most space but the sport seats in the BMW feel like they are molded just for you. My fist visual impressions are I could definately live with this car. The solid feel all around sways to the BMW but the G8 was surprisingly a good feel to me. It felt like a quality and good value build just sitting there...not top of the line but real good.

The room in the 135i was tight for me...livable but would need a lot of getting used to. The 335i felt like a large car in comparison and is just right for me. I plan to drive all of these cars to determine which one fits me closest.

The G8 seats are a good balance an far better than my '97 GTP and the leather was 2 notches up from the GP leather of that vintage.

The sticker was ~$32,500 so I need to drive it to see the difference in my car. I already see the +$10K difference so I can see the proposition that the G8 offers in a drive. The weight factor is a concern as you already felt vs. your C6.

I also test drove the 335i for about 60 miles one day on a loaner situation. That drive was a no brainier for a repeat for me but the value proposition with the G8 must be explored in my mind.

Regards,
    OW

(Still pursuing the Z06!)
    Ray-

I also test drove a G8 GT (this morning, while waiting for an oil change on my Buick).

My responses (to yours) are as follows:

[yours] The drive: Down a 4 lane, divided industrial parkway – for a mile +, stopping at a couple of traffic lights, at 0 to roughly 45\50 - then through a residential area, at 15 to 35 or so. And back to the dealer’s lot.

[mine] I test drove it from dealer's lot and back (about 10 miles R/T). I started out East on main road (1 mile) to a frontage road (@35mph), turned South (2 miles) on the frontage road to a traffic light (@55mph), then went West using a freeway (2 miles) to an exit for a residential street (@60mph) -- then North (2 miles) though a residential area (@35mph), and then East (3 miles) back to dealer's lot (@35mph).

[yours] The initial accelerator response ( drive-by-wire mapping ) was much more aggressive than I am used to, in my Corvette. I startled myself & the sales guy ( ballast ) in the right seat quite unintentionally as I turned right to merge into a gap in traffic. Transmission was in Sport, Manual \ DSC & in first gear. Hmmm. Responsive. And I expect that I could adapt. But surprising.

[mine] Basically, the same as yours. I would say the SOTP response of the G8 was much greater than my Super, but not as much as my brother-in-law's '68 Olds 442. As I previously said, I took two sharp turns on the frontage road at 60mph, and felt better lateral support (good seat bolstering in G8) than I would've in my Buick.

[yours] The acceleration was very smooth – and I expect that it would be ‘sufficient’. Saying quite a lot, coming from a ‘Vette, I think. I was fairly gentle with the throttle ( except for that first time ) given less than 25 miles on the car and the fact that I knew I would not buy this particular example – but I found a satisfying level of quickness.

[mine] Basically the same as yours. There's apparently plenty of low-end torque at the driver's disposal throughout the entire power band. I didn't launch at full throttle (promised the salesman I wouldn't), but there seems to be lots of V-8 ponies available.

[yours] The ‘rev match on downshift’ worked very well on a couple of 4 – 3 shifts. The one 3 – 2 I tried took noticeably longer – to decide what RPM to order up? Other than that one anomaly (?), the trans. behaved much as I had expected. Since in my last 4 or 5 cars, I almost never drive in anything but ‘manual’ mode, that’s all I tried.

[mine] I left it in drive, so I really can't comment on the auto tranny's performance.

[yours] The one other related oddity that I noticed is that in Manual Mode ( Driver Shift Control ), the DIC displayed the gear selected in large numbers, in the center of the display ( after I had selected it via the shift lever ) but then quickly reverted to showing the ‘current’ gear selected in small characters, along the very bottom of the display. I would much prefer to keep that large, central display at all times, at least while in DSC \ manual mode. Oh, well. Or a HUD, like in my Corvette & my last Grand Prix. ( I know, I know . . . )

[mine] The same comment as above.

[yours] I ran the whole test drive route ( probably 2.5 or 3 miles, at most ) with the left front ( driver’s ) window down a half inch or so, the right rear window down an inch, and the sound system off. Climate control system also turned off.

The car was very quite. It seemed solid & well bolted \ screwed \ glued together. No rattles, squeaks, moans or groans – even over a few stretches of deteriorated, patched & uneven pavement.

[mine] Basically the same as yours. NIce relatively quiet and comfortable ride at cruising speeds. Build quality appears to be very good. Only time will tell if it lasts.

[yours] I did detect just a hint of a lovely, V8 exhaust note – comprehensively stomped upon by the stock muffler system. I doubt I could make it 1,000 miles before doing SOMETHING to let a bit more of that tone out . . .

[mine] Basically the same impressions as yours. I have to admit my Super's exhaust note has a little more of a rumble than the G8's, but it's still quiet. Both car's exhausts have been obviously toned down by more restrictive mufflers.The Super has a huge resonator to make it what their engineers call "Buick quiet". I'm planning on replacing my stocks with Flowmaster 40s sometime in the future.

[yours] I did not stress the handling, at all. I believe the various publications regarding absolute cornering power numbers, etc. I was much more interested in the steering response and feel. It seemed quite acceptable. Though I will require at least a short stint at highway speeds. Before the final ‘buy’ decision.

[mine] As I previously said, the G8 took a couple of sharp corners very well at 60mph, with no tire screaching or noticeable rear-end slipping. The car also had very good steering response.

[yours] I found the ride very comfortable & well damped at all times.

[mine] Ditto.

[yours] After the drive I opened the rear door & sat in the left rear, behind the driver’s seat adjusted to my liking. Excellent room & very good comfort.

[mine] I also sat behind the G8's driver's seat (after adjusting it to my liking) and found it very comfortable with plenty of leg and head room. Nice feel to the leather.

[yours] I also opened & shut the doors a few times. Seemed solid.

[mine] Ditto.

Notes:
    1 - The tire pressures ( checked after the drive, but likely not much higher than when cold – given low speeds & short distance traveled ) were 36\7 front and 41\2 rear.

2 - I took the ‘Vette over most of the same test drive route, immediately after I gave back the keys. This confirmed & re-emphasized that the G8’s ride is really quite impressive. Particularly with the 19” wheels & tires.

3 - I expect that a significant part of the ride difference between my car and the G8 is the ‘Vette has run-flats. With rather stiff sidewalls than the ‘Stones on the G8 GT Sport.
    High on my own list of priorities, for a car I seriously consider purchasing, are the dynamics – see list above. And Holden \ GM appears to have developed a platform here with rather competent dynamics. Of course, I also care about front seat comfort & support, control feel, clear & straightforward instruments & displays, etc.

But.

If I can buy a car with something very close to a BMW 550i’s performance envelope, for $10s of thousands less, I am willing to ‘sacrifice’ a few gizmos ( take my iDrive, please ) and some level of material quality to do so.

I believe, right now that:
    1 – The G8 GT is a remarkable bargain – even at full list price.
    [[ Shhh - Don’t tell anybody !! ]]
    ** IF ** your priorities are roughly in line with those of the designers & product planners of this car.

2 – Although the acceleration times for the G8 GT reported in the Automobile Magazine comparison test between the G8 & the BMW 550i are rather slow ( less quick ) than those reported elsewhere, whatever was in play appears to have ‘handicapped’ the BMW about as much as the G8. Their time for the 550i is 3 or 4 tenths off what I have seen in published tests. And – the real important point here is:

The [ $30K base ] G8 GT more than holds its own in several critical areas – against a 550i, with a base price near $60K.

Wow.

I do find that ** VERY ** impressive indeed!!!

Those here who seem to want to believe that GM \ Holden has discovered some magic process whereby they can start producing a car with EVERYTHING equivalent to a $60K car - for $30K – well, I consider them to be unrealistic in their expectations.

To expect that the G8 GT’s acceleration will be roughly equal to a $60K sedan,
    AND to expect that the cornering power & steering feel will also be equal,
    AND to expect that the ride & handling feel will be equal to what long has been considered a benchmark Sport Sedan ( at least, dynamically )
    AND to expect that the interior materials, fit & finish will also be equal,
    AND to expect that every aspect of quality would also be equal . . .
    Well, I just think if it really was that easy, everyone would be building $30K sedans that are the equal of $60K BMWs. And no one else seems able.

In fact, if it was ‘that easy’, I’d expect BMW to be building & selling 550i-s for more like $35 to $40K. Although I expect that they’d love to have the increased sales volume that would imply, BMW are currently not selling new V8 5s that cheap.

I spent some time ‘studying’ the G8’s interior. In some aspects, it is not quite up to BMW 5 or Audi standards - in some respects. Yet I think it is only prudent to keep in mind that to find an Audi interior in a sedan of roughly comparable size, with a V8 engine, you’d be talking about the A8. The Audi interior is often considered an excellent blend of style & quality. Some are comparing the G8 to Audi interiors, and finding that the G8 is not as good.

But.

That Audi A8 currently has a base MSRP of $70K. You would have a fine interior. And AWD. And a much lighter wallet. Your money, your choice. ( Living near Atlanta, I’d actually much prefer RWD and a true LSD, like the G8 GT, to AWD – or to the BMW 5 & 3’s RWD & lack of a LSD. )

And although the 4.2L V8 in that Audi is a terrific motor in many ways, the A8 would not be nearly as quick as the G8 GT. And even an A6 ( smaller Audi sedan ) with this same V8 motor starts at $56K.

If fact, an Audi A4 ( smaller still, & not available with the V8 ) with a 3.1L V6 and FWD ( no AWD ) starts at over $36K. [[ Edit: The Audi S4 has the V8 – for an MSRP starting at close to $50K ]]

I find these to be enormously significant differences in price.

If the quality of an interior is the overriding concern \ priority, then a visit to the Audi store may be in order.

I personally find the BMW 5 series interior
    ( I sat in one at my closest dealer for 10 minutes or so, a while back, while waiting for the attention of the CA I’d exchanged emails with )
    materials, fit & finish to be well done - very good indeed. The interior styling, I find ( um ) un-pleasing. And items like the automatic trans. shifter in the newest 5, I find ( well ) just bizarre . . . And I believe that I would find it annoying, in the longer term. But these are purely personal preferences.

But I digress.
    [ no surprise to many, I’m sure ]

Let me reiterate point #1:

I find the G8 GT to be a remarkable bargain.

- Ray
    Just my opinion – subject to change without notice . . .

Audi A6 V8 test Edmunds:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Followup/articleId=116521
    2022 X3 M40i
    Ray-

I forgot to tell you that as I was leaving the service department to get my car, I ran into an old mechanic friend. I told him about the G8 test drive and he said he drove the same car last week and liked it. He said he's going to wait until the G8 GXP arrives sometime this fall. He said that car will blow the doors off the GT, and for what he read will be only $3,000 more. $35,000 for a 405 HP beast isn't too bad!
    "..only $3,000 more. $35,000 for a 405 HP beast isn't too bad! "
    Rumors abound regarding GXP price.
    GM has made no official, public announcement.
    We shall see...
    2022 X3 M40i
    Here's my bet on price - $39,000 base.

Regards,
    Ow
  • cracoviancracovian Member Posts: 337
    Bring the V6 in the wagon form... GXP for $40K is so 90s. It won't last more than 2 years in the marketplace. But what else is new for GM.
    [quote]Here's my bet on price - $39,000 base.

Regards,
    Ow

IMO, that's way too high. The 2nd gen GTO (6.0 V8 with 400 ponies) didn't sell because it was priced way too high and was butt ugly too. Pontiac isn't stupid!! They're not gonna make the same mistake with the GXP (6.2 V8 with 405 ponies). My guess is $35K base with plenty of standard equipment and very few options.
  • emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    personally i suspect it will also sticker out in the upper 30s...
    Here's my take...consider the Challenger/Charger SRT8 price and go from there. I stand with $39K.

Regards,
    OW
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    My 05 GTO price was $30,268 before GM card applied.
    Seemed like a good deal to me - still does. But it ain't pretty.
    The price is one consideration but as this article points out, some finishing touches could prove a problem down the road.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/gm%e2%80%99s-next-big-thing-or-haven%e2%80%99t-we-be- en-here-before-opinion.html

Regards,
    OW
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,930
    well, here we go again. Stopped at the pontiac dealer near Freehold, NJ. Dark grey G8 GT sitting out front. Great looking car. Sticker in the window had a $5k market adjustment written on it. Uhhhh.... yeah.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    Yeah, same thing around here (OKC). Not even allowing test drives in GT's. I'll wait. When gas hits $4.00/gallon and the GT's are stacked up to the rafters, they won't be quite so high-and-mighty.
    Yes, I pass that dealer all the time...2 weeks ago they had an orange one and that same dark grey car.

Same dealer I walked out of when the GTO had the same thing 4 years ago.

Regards,
    OW
    yup, yup. I stopped there when the GTO came out, too. :)

where do you live, by the way? I'm in Jackson.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Freehold Township...nice to be neighbors. I use this dealer to service my wife's Yukon. The sales guys know me now. I get good feedback of the crazy things they see at GM...but some things are slowly changing. Hope the G8 gouging doesn't ruin it.

Regards,
    OW
    63 miles on it sat in it. felt like gto. remote-start keychain, for that little extra greenhouse-effect just to annoy the climatalogically correct Pious driver.
    i could have test driven but wasn't really interested - wrong transmission, & no satellite radio. after July 1 probably we can order 09s, maybe I'll order an 2009 GT with a stick, if available., of 09 GXP. they also had a white 08 G8 V6 on the lot.

no mention of dealer markup on the sticker that I saw - i didnt even have to ask about that. that's how this dealership rolls.
    there's apparently a $1k customer-cash incentive now on G8, by the way.
    Tulley in Nashua.

exhaust note was so much quieter and less choppy idle than GTO obviously a way different exhaust system , and it's gotta have a way different cam than the LS2 GTO - exhaust design by itself can't smooth the idle that much. :shades:
    our first house was in Freehold Boro. :)

incentives? On a car that just became available ... and in limited quantities, no?
    Is it a blanket incentive on G8s? or a blanket incentive on all Pontiacs (like loyalty, college, etc)? The latter makes sense, but not the former.

Good to know...see you around sometime, I'm sure! Perhaps a joint G-8 Test drive...and then we can bait the sales guy and turn down the twin sale because of the dealer mark up!!

Regards,
    OW
    Yep, a standard $1K on G8s. I did see them sitting around in pairs on my recent visit to Florida. So the bottom line we'll only pay a $4K markup? Yay, what a deal...

I'll hold off until it's $5500 off invoice though (December?) A $5K GM card bonus (when are those coming back?) would only sweeten the deal ;-P
    "I'll hold off until it's $5500 off invoice though (December?) "

MSRP to Invoice on a G8 GT is under $2,000 for a 'loaded' unit.
    So - all you need is around $7,500 off MSRP?
    Good luck...
    - Ray
    Happy with a somewhat 'worse' deal than that...
    2022 X3 M40i
  • holdenguyholdenguy Member Posts: 145
    I cannot believe what I am reading here.
    You guys are getting the bargain of the century.
    Our $AU is almost the same as yours.
    We pay just under $50K for an SS, your V8 GT is only a bit above $30K.
    I emailed insideline about the mistakes on their GXP article.
    This car is no "warmed up Commodore", it is a HSV.
    We pay $70K + for these wonderful cars.
    If you can get one of those for $39k, I'm moving over there ;-)
    I'll bet no more than US$41,000 LOADED!. It's got to compete with the Challenger SRT-8 and the upcoming Camaro which probably will see a 400/400 SS version for around the same dinero.

I priced an SRT-8 (425/420) and added all options and the price is $41,878.

Regards,
    OW
    Well, I stopped by the Pontiac dealership yesterday on the way to the Chevy store (my brother was taking delivery of a new Silverado) and, low and behold, they let me test drive a G8 GT. Same car that has been collecting dust in the showroom for the past 6 weeks (with a $5,000 market adjustment) was now on display out front. Very impressive drive. Handling/steering/ride was (IMHO) just about perfect. And that's with the 19-inch wheels (sport package). I have a "number" to get supplier discount, though I doubt anyone around here would honor it. I also have about $900 built up on my GM Mastercard, which I could combine with the $1,000 Loyalty rebate (wife drives a 2006 Impala), so even at sticker I would be looking at $30,000 even (plus TTT). Now all I have to do is find a dealer that will sell me a Phantom Black Premium Sport GT for no more than MSRP!

BTW, the $1,000 incentive is a "loyalty" rebate; you must currently own a 1999 or newer GM vehicle to qualify. It expires on May 21.
    Remind me who on this board mentioned that Pontiac would not follow what they did with the GTO...history is repeating itself.

Regards,
    OW
  • bigelmbigelm Member Posts: 995
    If you are referring to the markups, that is not Pontiac, it's the dealers. For the most part, there are dealers who are willing to do business, while others want to make a fortune with one sale :rolleyes:
    So, the dealers will add the "Kiss of Death" to this one also. If GM can't control dealers, strikes and innovative new products, we will be full circle once again! Post Haste!

Regards,
    OW
  • wideglidewideglide Member Posts: 146
    Tell the stealers to stick it. FWIW, CarsDirect.com is quoting a price about halfway between invoice and MSRP. Worth a look....

Mark
    '98 Acura CL 3.0
    '00 SVT Contour (wrecked and awaiting resurrection)
    '94 H-D Heritage Softail
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    each dealer is an independent of GM....so their isnt much GM can do other than to cut car allocations to the dealer on popular models......

markups on the G8..go figure...same thing happened to the Solstice when if first came out...now you can get them for invoice two years later.......if you want the latest hot toy first..you pay...otherwise..be patient......they will soon be on the lots for under MSRP.......especially with gas headed to $4 a gallon by summer!!!
    Agreed...price just shot up big over the weekend. G8 is a little more dull at 18 MPG combined specification.

I guess they have to make money somehow so new models take the prize...unless they kill it in the exercise. Let's see what happens.

Regards,
    OW
  • nojalopy1nojalopy1 Member Posts: 14
    I was getting excited about a G8 until I found it has no option for OEM satellite radio. What's the story?
    story is wait a few months for a 2009 - xm is standard then.
    reason: no satellite radio for the bottom hemisphere yet , took a while to shoehorn it into the Holden. me, i want satellite backseat tv for the kids.
    I was looking at the inventory a while back - most G8s (and mostly the intial load of GTs) were sold out. Now I'm back and there are a bunch of V6s sitting at dealerships. Does anyone know what the mix is and if V6s are selling well? Gas prices aside, V8 seems like a much better deal.
    Your profile indicates that you are in Atlanta.
    There certainly are V8s around here.
    ( I live in Duluth. )
    Last I checked, only a few minutes ago, the G8 search function ** STILL ** appears to be “broken” . . .
    In that it only shows V6 \ Base models in inventory.
    Even when you choose GT as the “Model”.
    Thus I ‘built’ the URLs below – to show me ( only ) V8 \ GTs.

If you can not just click it ( it is a rather long URL ) you may be able to copy & paste it into a browser window?

HTH.
    - Ray

http://www.pontiac.com/vehiclelocator/locateVehicle.do?make=PG&vendorId=&maximum- Count=250&searchCountry=US&modelDesignator=2EC69&proximity=3000&proximityUnitOfM- easure=MILES&includeDuplicateVendors=true&modelDescrip=G8&styleDescrip=GT&vehicl- eModel=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pontiac.com%2Fimages%2Fgmbp%2F16002%2Fvehicle%2F2008%2Fm- ed%2F2008_G8.jpg&brand=divisional&originatingBrand=DIVISIONAL&year=2008&modelId=- 251&bstyle=208&searchType=0&postalCode=30097&searchCity=&searchState=&dealerName- =&vendorSearchCity=&vendorSearchState=&x=39&y=6

http://www.gmbuypower.com/vehiclelocator/locateVehicle.do?isRankVehicle=true&sor- tType=vehicleRank&displayInTemplate=false&defaultpath=true&hostingSite=gmvs&maxi- mumCount=250&make=pg&postalCode=30096&proximity=500&proximityUnitOfMeasure=MILES- &includeDuplicateVendors=true&searchCountry=US&submit=Submit&modelDesignator=2EC- 69&searchType=0&vendorId=158398.0&style=GT%20Sedan&zip=30096&makeId=002&vehicleM- odel=/images/gmbp/16002/vehicle/2008/med/2008251.gif&year=2008&sellingSource=16&- subModel=&subModelId=251&BAC=158398.0&modelId=085&pvc=208&mmc=2EC69&brand=G8%20S- edan&model=G8%20Sedan&type=%20%20%20&typeDescrip=%20%20%20&optionCode=&preferred- Options=&preferredColor=&style=GT%20Sedan&styleDescrip=GT%20Sedan&styleId=GT%20S- edan&dealerName=BARANCO+BUICK+PONTIAC+GMC&dealerURL=&dealerStreet=4355%20HWY%207- 8&dealerCity=LILBURN&dealerRegionCode=GA&dealerPostalcode=30047&dealerBpManagerN- ame=Owen%20S.%20Birkett&dealerBpPhone=(800)%20790-5140&nameplateids=004^002^012^- &partnerID=900001&userType=GMBP&regionId=&currentOfferTerms=36
    2022 X3 M40i
    Excellent links - It sure looks like there are a ton of both models in stock and here I thought all V8s were gone :-) It seems like it's a simple fix but having this important function broken for an extended period of time costs GM real sales and money. I guess they can afford it? Maybe the Webmaster went on strike...
    “simple fix but having this important function broken for an extended period of time costs GM real sales and money”

I’d agree.

I have actually sent email to a GM Brand Communications Manager ( not Pontiac - that I had exchanged emails with previously on other matters ) concerning a similar situation.

It was months before it was corrected.

[[[ sigh ]]]

Glad they were helpful.

Have you now seen & driven one?
    - Ray
    Not a computer programmer – oh, wait, that still ** IS ** part of my job description . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    I saw and evaluated one in person a year ago (They had them hidden in some Kennesaw warehouse). I haven't driven one but as a former proud owner of a 2004 GTO I know what to expect :-) It was one of the "family" cars we looked at but after considering poor Pontiac service, the inflated price and the lack of rebates available to non-GM owners, I didn't have enough ammo to convince my wife not get a Sienna instead :-) We love the van. I'll get the G8 once the price is right. Dealers can keep it for now.
    So, the black G8 base sticker totaled $30,600 plus the MAP = $33,600 that I saw tonight on Route 9. Therefore, GT will be $35,600+ for added options.

Too rich for me. Too many other options out there.

Hope it doesn't work out for Pontiac in the long run.

Regards,
    OW
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    dont thing the MAP will last long....with the cost of gas fast approaching $4...., besides, those who want the toys first should pay .....otherwise be patient...II was going after an 08 CTS....however at 16/25 MPG.....I'll keep my 04 Chevy Malibu a while longer at 25/32...........
    Smart..wait until they bleed incentives...makes good sense. What a way to alienate customers!

Regards,
    OW
    These ridiculous mark-ups aren't directly related to Pontiac, but to the greedy dealers. The G8 has only been available for 6 weeks or so; Pontiac dealers are notorious for this behavior. I purchased a 2004 GTO for $8,000 below sticker; identical car was priced $5,000 over sticker 9 months prior. If you really want one of these, be just a bit patient. I have already seen some improvement in pricing strategies locally. Give it a month or two and things should improve. I'm curious to see how much (if any) of a price increase the 2009 models will have, since they will be hitting dealers in only a couple of months. How many dealers are going to stick to their "Market Adjustment" stickers when these 2008 models are, essentially, a model-year-old already. :shades:
This discussion has been closed.