Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Pontiac G8

Comments

• harley07harley07 Member Posts: 1
    I test drove the G8 GT yesterday afternoon. None of the dealers that I have looked at here in Houston have any mark ups. They are all going for MSRP. The GT I test drove yesterday has been at the dealer for 28 days, and most of the others have lasted less than 10. I was told that if I wanted that one I could get it for a discount.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    “Too rich for me. Too many other options out there.

Hope it doesn't work out for Pontiac in the long run.”

2 questions:

Q1: What other options, exactly?
    If the acceleration offered is of interest, I only see the Dodge Charger R/T as a viable alternative – given the performance \ price balance of a G8 GT.

Clearly, there are quicker sedans – everything I can think of is smaller and \ or at a higher price.

Q2: Why do you hope it doesn’t “work out” for Pontiac?

They have brought ( IMHO ) a performance bargain to market – at a very aggressive MSRP.

Should they be penalized for the (mis-)behavior of some of the franchised dealers – that are most emphatically NOT ( for better or worse ) a part of Pontiac \ GM?

Some dealers near me ( Atlanta ) have cars and are not asking MAP.
    So – if you happen to drive a GM vehicle, price of a fully loaded G8 GT w/Premium, Sport & Sunroof is $31,745 + TTL.

- Ray
    Confused, as usual . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Q1 Answer: Charger, Challenger, 135I, G35 (smaller but very close to the price considering MAP) 135i will do everything better except room. At $35K, the options add up!

Q2 Answer: GM needs to ensure this performance bargain is successful. If they can not control greedy dealers, I hope the same fate as the GTO befalls the G8.

The dealers without MAP are the light at the end of the tunnel. What I do not know is how many will be turned off by MAP and how many fair deals will be made. No doubt MAP is the chink in the armor!

Did those dealers near you offer the GTO at $32K price back then?

Regards,
    OW
    "Q1 Answer: Charger, Challenger, 135I, G35 (smaller but very close to the price considering MAP) 135i will do everything better except room. At $35K, the options add up!" circlew

Challenger? 135? I really don’t believe it is remotely fair to consider these coupes as competition for a 4DR G8 GT. Though you may certainly compare anything you’d like to anything else, I suppose.

The June issue of C+D arrived at my house last night – including another G8 GT vs Charger R/T comparison.

A couple of points:

1 – In my view ( and theirs ), to be even close to comparable, the Charger requires the $3940 Road and Track package. Bringing the MSRP of the Charger to at least $31,455 + $3,940 = $35,395. And the roadholding ( lateral G ), braking & lane change numbers are still far off the G8 GT w/Sport Pkg.

2 – The acceleration numbers show the G8 GT as significantly quicker than the Charger: 0-60 = 5.2 vs 5.7 and the Quarter = 13.8 vs 14.3.

And the editors also point out that “. . the interior materials don’t look as upscale as the G8’s . .”

Their article’s closing paragraph includes this:

“A while back, we tested a group of high-end sports sedans [“Faster Horses”, November 2006], a quartet that included a BMW 550i. With the exception of the lane-change exercise, the Bimmer’s test-track numbers were essentially identical with those generated by this new Poncho. The base price for a 550i today is $59,275.”

Your $$, your choice, of course . . .
    - Ray
    Choosing the G8 GT . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    Here is the Ausie version of the G8 (similar to the upcoming GXP) compared to the 335i which I am considering. The value is there as you noted. Interesting read. It's what happens when the chassis is faster then the engine. If the price is similar when GXP arrives here, refinement, efficiency and dial-up HP potential will give the nod to the 335i.

link title

Regards,
    OW
  • white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    FWIW, I currently drive a 335i. Compared to G8 it is more refined and has obviously higher quality materials. It is, however, a much smaller car than the G8. If interior space is not an issue, and price is close (which I honestly don't think it will be), then the 335i would not be a bad choice. However, 335i with most common options can easily sticker $50,000+. I think the G8 GXP will be at least $10,000 less expensive (comparably equipped). Keep in mind, also, that the 335i is a very complex machine (with lots of very expensive technology) and would not be a car I would feel confident owning past it's warranty period (4 years/50,000 miles). The G8, on the other hand, uses relatively simple, proven technology and carries a 5 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty. Good example: The 335i doesn't even have a dipstick; only way to check your oil level is with a computer sensor.
    As white6 states, there is a substantial disparity between the 335 and the G8 in both size & price.

If neither backseat room nor trunk room are issues – and a substantial ( to me ) price difference means nothing – well, carry on!

[[ Looks to me like a 335 sedan equipped as close as I can to a ‘loaded’ G8 GT shows an MSRP of about $45K. Both with automatic, premium pkg., sport pkg. & sunroof ( std. on the BMW.) ]]

If you are expecting to carry a couple of typically sized adult males in the rear, I think the 335 sedan might not be a very good choice – assuming that you actually like the guys . . .

I do have respect for the 335. Quite a lot, in fact. I have driven a couple. The motor is a jewel – and for another $1K-$2K will approach Corvette levels of acceleration. The BMW’s 6 speed automatic is one of the best, though I have some issues with a couple of behavior aspects. The handling is definitely excellent. The quality of fit, finish & materials is better than the G8’s.

But . . .
    ( Regarding acceleration ) The 335 has no LSD.
    ( Regarding ride ) The 335’s run-flats feel somewhat harsh to many.
    ( Regarding price ) Even with a $5K MAP, a 335 equipped roughly equivalent to the G8 GT is some $7,000 more expensive. $38K for the G8 GT vs $45K for the BMW. And more realistically, based on my recent experience, a G8 GT at MSRP less the $1,000 Loyalty Cash for any one with a GM vehicle in the household, that brings the difference to around $13,000.

I am not trying to convince anyone here of anything – but I do believe comparisons are most meaningful between approximate equals - in most aspects, including such prime attributes ( for most buyers ) as price & size.

Size, for example ( among BMW sedans ) would bring you to the 5 series – at an even higher starting MSRP.

But I could be wrong . . .
    I’m sure someone will point out any errors I make.
    - Ray
    Ignoring the GXP version of the G8, for now, and at least until we have additional official information from GM . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    Actually, your assessment is right on regarding all you assess including price, even with MAP. The G8 is a fine value compared to two of the best competitors.

My goal would be to test drive the G8 and if I come away as enthusiastic as yourself, purchase it WITHOUT MAP, with loyalty discount and the GM Card points I've built up over the years. That dealer mark-up is quite ridiculous!

That is, if I can tear myself away from the ultimate drive of the 335i (I had the pleasure to drive an '07 for a day while my 330 was being serviced). If the power bump to 360/360 I've heard so far regarding the '09 335 is true, this would be an awesome combination to consider vs. the GXP. Price, no doubt, is going to favor the GXP.

BTW, I got used to the E92 size and only have my kids and grown ups that need discipline in the back!!!

Seriously, the handling is addicting.

Regards,
    OW
    Absolutely agree about E92. Just got back from a 60 mile drive in mine. Hard to fault anything about the way this car drives (especially after I persuaded the dealer to perform a software update on mine that finally fixed the inconsistant throttle response problem). Unfortunately now the moonroof is not working properly. Tried to crack it while parked to let the heat out, and it didn't function as designed in response to the switch. Quite strange. I've told the Pontiac dealer to call me when the black/black G8 GT (premium/sport; no sunroof) car they are expecting within the next few weeks comes in. After driving it I will allow them the opportunity to earn my business. I am not confident that they will; however, if they make a fair offer on my 335i Coupe and don't ask for more than MSRP on the G8, I will be very tempted (especially since I will qualify for the Loyalty rebate and have $947 of GM Mastercard rebate built-up as well, bringing the G8 in question down to just under $30,000). As I said, I'm not particularly confident that this will happen at this time. If not, I will happily motor on in the bimmer.
    I went to another dealer on Saturday – and test drove a G8 GT equipped exactly as I would buy one, if I absolutely ** HAD ** to buy a 2008: Premium, Sport, Sunroof & red \ black seats.

I had previously driven a G8 GT without sunroof, but only on surface streets and only below 45 or 50 MPH.

I specifically wanted to drive at freeway speeds. And I wanted to test the “rev match on downshift” more thoroughly – as I was not very impressed during my previous drive.

And I wanted to check the headroom & the noise level \ vent effect of the sunroof – particularly at highway speeds.

The car happened to be registering \ displaying KPH vs MPH. And I did not know how to change that. Neither did the “Sales Professional” ( a.k.a. ‘ballast’ ) in the right seat. [[ sigh ]]

I turned the sound system off and the climate control system off at the start.

The S.P. said that ‘they’ did not really want the car taken on the highway. Well, I was in the on-ramp lane & the S.P. was studying the owner’s manual – so I just continued onto I985, north. Oops.

By my best recollection & calculation ( verified upon my next access to a computer ) the speeds I travel at most on the highway ( 70 to 80 MPH ) was 120 – 140 KPH. So I spent some time at 120, 130 and 140. Turns out that 120 is approx. 75 MPH. And 140 is 87 MPH.

My observations:

1 – Headroom with the Sunroof is still fine for me – 6’0” and average torso length.

2 – Wind noise was well controlled in the second ( of 3 ) vent positions – with sunshade fully back. A bit of roar in the third position. And a large increase if I lowered one rear window, as I often do, to increate flow \ ventilation. But I think it would be fine for me.

3 – The high speed handling, feeling of security & directional stability seemed quite good. And the ride is excellent on smooth but slightly undulating highway surfaces – well controlled – and it certainly is quiet.

4 – The trans. downshift behavior still concerns me a bit. I currently drive a GM V8 with the 6L80 trans. Corvette Coupe. With 2007 calibrations & hardware version. For 2008 the 6L80 version in the Corvette was substantially revised & updated ( hardware & software ) to quicken both the upshifts and downshifts – and to do a better job ( by some reports ) on the “rev match on downshift”. My 2007 does not do this at all ( or does it so poorly as not to be worth of the name ) on 3 – 2 or 2 –1 downshifts.

Sadly, though, both of the 2 G8 GTs I have now driven seem to do a reasonably good job when manually commanded to downshift from 6 – 5, 5 – 4, and 4 – 3 ( the relatively “easy” ones ), but - I was ** NOT ** impressed with the 3 – 2 or 2 – 1 downshifts I tried. And I tried several.

These were not at all extreme downshifts – not 3 – 2 at 60 or 2 –1 at 35, for example. More like 3 – 2, while slowing through 30 or 25 MPH and about to accelerate – requiring a ‘blip’ to something like 2500 RPM. To me, these downshifts felt more like someone driving a manual trans, downshifting, and abruptly letting out the clutch – without a throttle blip. Seems to accomplish the actual downshift a bit more quickly than mine – and responds a bit more quickly – meaning: command to beginning of shift execution seems a bit quicker. But not nearly what I had hoped for, however, after reading the 2008 Corvette technical data & reviews.

Somewhat disappointing. Probably not a deal-breaker, for me.

4A – The trans. ** DOES ** perform ( in several respects important to me ) much better then the 6L50 in a 2008 Caddy CTS I rented & drove a couple of hundred miles last month . . .

4B – I am still somewhat perplexed at the choice of displaying ( in DSC \ manual shift mode ) the trans. gear currently engaged in such small characters across the very lowest portion of the DIC. As far as possible below the driver’s line of sight. Then ( once you HAVE selected a new gear, and the change is in process or complete ) the new gear is displayed centrally, in a much larger size, in the center of the DIC. But only briefly. Then it is again relegated to the bottom of the display. Seems very odd, to me.

And ( as is well known ) there is no XM, standard or optionally available, for the 2008s. And I listen to XM over half the time. What I have seen & read about add-on units just does not sound like anything I’d be happy with..

Anyway – my decision ( for now, at least ) is I’ll wait for 2009s to start appearing.

- Ray
    I know: picky, picky . . .

[[ edit:

Slides regarding the 2007 – 2008 ‘upgrades’ to the
    6L80, as installed in the Corvette:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...t=100_8105.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...t=100_8102.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...t=100_8101.jpg

]]
    2022 X3 M40i
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    kph vs mph is set at startup - it should be defaulting to MPH for USA cars.
    I think it's owner-programmable,
    Also if dashboard is like the Goat, freak out the salesman by pressing "set and mode" while starting the vehicle. Then wait for init. Then use mode button to cycle through all sorts of nifty voltage & pressure & gallons-rate readings.
    (Another way to freak out the salesman is to 4-wheel-drift on the highway offramp.)
    "A neat addition would be if the ECU were programmed so that when the transmission was in manual gear selection mode it would automatically blip the throttle when downshifting to further take advantage of the engine's very sporty character."

??????
    2022 X3 M40i
  • tom17tom17 Member Posts: 134
    "On the accessory front, both the V-6-powered G8 and the higher-performance GT model come with a long list of standard features including power-adjustable front seats, OnStar and XM satellite radio".

Standard XM radio, wonder where they got this car from?
    Also the blue exterior color was first a late arrival and then discontinued in March.
  • emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    have any of you guys done a lease on a g8 gt? just wondering how you did...
    Ditto..I also have ~$950 in GM Mastercard rebate! I am with you on your exactly on your strategy.

Regards,
    OW
  • etcarrolletcarroll Member Posts: 87
    Ray -

As usual, a very nice write-up. However, my fear of $7 a gal. gas in 3 years may force me to look at the 6 cyl.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I drove the 135i and the braking and handling will outweigh the G8 everyday of the week. It is a significantly lighter car with 6pot front brakes. However the price is $41k, it gets 22mpg and the cabin room is minute compared to a G8. So if you can get away with a car that small, then yeah that's an alternative with better handling and similar gas consumption. 335i is likely similar with a little more room but a higher price tag.

The G8 is not at all the best car ever made, even in this class. Really it represents a heafty discount compared to equivilently equipped cars in terms of performance. As has been said before, the Dodge Charger RT stickers in at around $38k equivilently equipped, the 550i stickers around $60k. Is the 550i a better car in terms of interior fit and finish, luxury, gadgetry? Absolutely. Can you get a Dodge Charger with Navi and HIDs? Absolutely. The problem is at what price do you have to pay for the extras? I for one rather have my Garmin than a built in Navi since I can program it in my house, I can bring it vacation, and I can swap it to any of my 3 cars that I regularly drive. HIDs are overrated IMO.

So in the end it comes down to are you willing to pay for the extra bling of a Charger RT or a 550i? If you need the status symbol of the 550i for your country club or the Ghettoness of the Charger RT for your Hood, then you have to pony up the $ and get those. For those of us who are a little simplier or less into vanity or don't care that we don't fit in at the country club or in the hood, then the G8 is for us. I think it's a great driver's car.

Now if I can get my finances in order I'll probably pick one up in Dec when they are stacked up on the lots :)

-mike
    “Is the 550i a better car in terms of interior fit and finish, luxury, gadgetry? Absolutely.”

Well – as I have posted before ( likely here & elsewhere ) I currently drive a Corvette. The current model is ( IMHO ) vastly superior to previous efforts in the areas of interior fit & finish – as well as more to my taste in the areas of control layout, instruments, displays, etc.

I mention this because the Corvette, while a “World Class” Sports \ GT car, in the opinion of most everyone. And a bargain in the “Bang For Your Buck” derby – from a performance per dollar standpoint. It also does not have the “best in class” interior finish(es). And, since I spend very little time actually staring at the dashboard or console or center stack of my Corvette, that’s OK with me – the car’s dynamic range is of much more importance, to me.

So – apparently – I am not particularly sensitive ( ? ) to that particular aspect of automobile interiors. I strongly prefer not to have unfinished edges or loose wiring ( for example ) visible under the dash. But I see slight differences in texture & color between interior pieces to be very minor.

And I personally prefer the G8’s interior to the BMW 5 series – on ‘styling’ points and particularly in the automatic trans. shifter department. And the fit seems fine, in the 2 examples I have spent some time with. The materials are not in any meaningful way “better” in the BMW. To me.

Again, I’d much prefer a BMW 5 with a G8 interior.
    And a G8 exterior, for that matter, as the current generation 5’s styling is ** NOT ** to my taste. The G8’s is.

I have no need for iDrive. Though the BMW’s six speed automatic is excellent, and superior in some ways to the GM 6L80 in the G8 GT, I still have some issues with BMW’s choices in that realm. I prefer ( with the amount of HP & TQ we are talking about here, combined with RWD ) to have a ‘real’ LSD – standard on the G8 GT & only available on BMW Ms. Etc.

So – for me – the G8 is actually somewhat ‘better’ than a BMW 550i in an absolute sense. As well as a relative sense.

And the combination of very good ( and very similar to BMW 5 ) acceleration, handling, braking, ride ( etc ) under real world, brisk driving conditions trumps the BMW’s additional level of handling refinement.

For me.
    - Ray
    Except for how it looks, inside & out, liking the BMW 5 – a lot – really . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • cracoviancracovian Member Posts: 337
    Do we have a concensus that the interior (the plastics, textures, and the leather) of the current G8 is inferior to that of the GTO? It is nice compared to Fisher Price look of other Pontiacs but c'mon... better than (any) BMW?
    I'd say it's at least as good as the GTO.

I'd also say it's not as good as a BMW, but it's 50% of the price and definitely not 50% of the car.

-mike
    cracovian, during my few-minute sit-down in the driver's seat, the G8 interior seemed identical to GTO's in practically every way, including the black leather, textures. everything.
    I had a nice weekend and about 2 hours to spare so I went for 2 test drives. The first was a 128i, no sport package and stock 205/16 GY RFT. The second was a stock (base) G8 with $3K MAP!!

Well, the BMW dealer in Freehold NJ changed hands 2 years back and the new staff is eager to please. You get to test drive the car yourself sans. the ballast, however, that "free time" involved taking my 2 daughters on the drives! They will never be the same!

Seriously, it was good to get some feedback on the interior room as they sat in the back for ultimate balance.

First, the 128 coupe. Snug interior and similar to the 330xi I drive now. The acceleration is quite brisk for the 230/200 power. At a tad under 3,300 lbs., it is very tossable but the rubber might be suspect close to the limit. Since this is a non-sport set up it is a good balance of comfort and agility for the price of $35K and only had premium package and heated seats. My older daughter who is 5'3" sat behind me and warned me as I adjusted the seat back not to jam her in! It just made it so I could fit without irritating my knee against the side of the lower dash. I am sure the sedan will add some room there. Braking was good but not as good as the 330. Interior feel was similar to the 330.

I cam away with a feeling that it is a good small car that handled well, has great fuel economy and had good acceleration. Good for an upscale consumer with a mind for economy and some fun. Not advised for an die-hard enthusiast but fun none the less.

Now the G8. They only had the base since they sold their allotment of 2 GT's. The guys know me at the BGP dealer from countless repair visits for my wife's Denali. The sales guy jammed a plate in the front window (BMW had a trunk clip) and gave me they keys and again I was on my own with kids reviewing the back seat.

The interior seemed much bigger than the 5'er I drove (service loaner from BMW) and much larger then the GP and I think than the Bonneville. The interior feel was less quality than both 3 and 1 series IMO, but way better than any Pontiac I've owned or driven which includes both GP and Bonneville. Acceleration is quite good with the 256/248 power of the 3.6 V6. You could feel the torque at the lower rpm in each gear. The exhaust note was raspy. The transmission was solid and was acceptable in sport shift mode. The interior was chamber-quite and matched the BMW hands down in the hush department. No quekas or rattles. Is this really a GM??

Road feel and precision goes to BMW. Steering feel was a little numb but again better than the FWD past dinosaurs from Pontiac. I had the GTP which felt slightly faster (SC) but the weight difference of 100 lbs. helped there. The 128 had an advantage of 500 lbs so the acceleration I would give an equal rating car to car. Good but not enthusiast grade.

If you want a car for transportation with cavernous room for everything you need to take with you and good grade everything else, the G8 base will do. But, again, for $32,500 with the MAP, forget it! The 128 was $35,500. Take your pick.

I am eager to test the GT next.

Regards,
    OW
    If the V6 G8’s acceleration felt “quite good” to you, I would expect that the V8’s additional 105 HP ( +40% ! ) and 137 TQ ( 361 \ 385 ) would place the acceleration firmly into the “excellent” category. In spite of an additional 100 pounds or so. The gearing of the 6 speed ought to further enhance acceleration ‘feel’ – over that 5 speed automatic in the V6.

You did not mention if the G8 V6 you drove had the sport ‘package’ – but if it did not, I would also expect that the 19” wheel \ tire package would enhance both handling feel & steering feel, over the standard 18” equipment.

I have not driven a V6 – and I probably never will. I think that the V6 versions compete with rather a wide range of alternatives – and in the company of other V6s, I don’t see the G8 as a particular standout.

It is the availability of that 6.0L V8 and 6 speed automatic, in a RWD sedan, at this price point, that ( in my view ) clearly differentiate & elevate the G8 GT over the competition.

Does your dealer ( or any other in the area ) have any G8 GTs inbound?

- Ray
    Finding a new $33K sedan capable of mid-13 second quarter mile acceleration ( etc., etc. ) to be “quite good”, indeed . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    No, that G8 did not have sport suspension. Agree the GT would be the only choice until GXP.

Freehold BPG dealer has fulfilled their quota on the GT's...I think they had 2 or 3. SR said they would not get more until next shipment from down under? Whatever that means.

One way or another I will test it before I get into my next ride at the end of the year.

I will keep an eye and ear out since my wife is checking out the Enclave shortly! Hope no MAP on that one! I do not want to pay for the strikes at GM lately!

Regards,
    OW
    No MAPs at the dealer in South Brunswick on Rt 1, None at the one on Rt 22 in Bridgewater, none at the one on 22 in Union. All those dealers also have GTs in stock as well.

-mike
    i'd be interested to try a manual-trans version of all 3 motor setups,
    v6, GT-v8 and GXP-v8. the G8 interior is so much larger than I need but it's possible that some year I could need to transport three or four New England Patriots linemen. Also, conveniently plenty of room for the team's KH12 surveillance satellite in the trunk!
    /* reduce CO2 emissions: hold your breath for a minute */
    OK...off to SB on Rte. 1 to make my next test drive...

Regards,
    OW
    i drove a gray g8 gt without sports package this past weekend and found it a very decent car. ride and handling compromise was just about right. plenty of room and fairly quiet. felt lazier off the line than my current g35 coupe, but once going the car has lots of get up and go. i've never driven a bimmer so can't compare to that. but it certainly felt as sturdy as my inifiniti or any other car i've driven.

my only gripes, the headroom with sunroof is quite limited. there is no homelink or satellite radio...and the adjuster for the seatback is in a terrible spot, and should be electric. other than that, a pretty dandy ride!
  • jontyreesjontyrees Member Posts: 160
    Anyone know if GM is offering the usual Preferred Partner (whatever GM calls it) discounts on G8s? My company has an agreement w/GM that would give me GM employee pricing, which I would be interested in doing. I have a 2004 GTO right now, and that has been a great car for the 61k miles I've put on it. I'm going to be way over the mileage agreement on the SmartBuy though, and I got a letter from GM offering relatively favorable terms to retire the lease early, but only if I get into a new GM vehicle. The G8 is about the only one I'd be interested in!
  • wideglidewideglide Member Posts: 146
    "And, since I spend very little time actually staring at the dashboard or console or center stack of my Corvette, that’s OK with me – the car’s dynamic range is of much more importance, to me."

Really? You're not looking at the dash, controls and guages when you're driving your car?

"And I personally prefer the G8’s interior to the BMW 5 series – on ‘styling’ points and particularly in the automatic trans. shifter department. And the fit seems fine, in the 2 examples I have spent some time with. The materials are not in any meaningful way “better” in the BMW. To me."

Do you really prefer plastic over leather and burl walnut on the dash and door panels? Different strokes for different folks, I guess...

The G8 is a great car for the money, without a doubt. I'd love to have one. But a BMW or Mecedes it ain't.
  • bigelmbigelm Member Posts: 995
    The G8 is a great car for the money, without a doubt. I'd love to have one. But a BMW or Mecedes it ain't.

It's not supposed to.... many are not looking for an emblem to fulfill their ego or give therapy to their insecurities. Raw performance and decent comfort features that gives a Bimmer a good spanking and run for it's money. And Merc's, don't even get me started. - Notice that I didn't put BMW and... Merc's in the same sentence. (Shame on you).
    Don't worry big elm, I'm getting folks over on NASIOC trying to compare a 535ix or 335ix to a Legacy GT. It's a riot how people put cars that are 40%-50% the price in a comparison!

-mike
    anybody know what changes are coming for '09? trying to decide if i wanna wait or not...
    XM radio standard
    Color changes:
    Delete: Stealth Blue, Ignition Orange
    Add: Maverick Silver, Pacific Slate Metallic, Stryker Blue Metallic, Sport Red Metallic

These are the only changes that are documented by GM. Bluetooth may become standard as well, jury's still out on this, though.
    thanks! xm would be nice. wondering about the difference between sport red and the current liquid red...?
    Current liquid red is non-metallic; sport red is metallic and appears a bit darker than liquid red.
  • genesisexogenesisexo Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone know what that stands for as a $5,000. dealer installed option on a G-8 car? I think that the last 2 letters may stand for "market adjustment".
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    Extra Money in My (bank) Account....ERMA
  • jontyreesjontyrees Member Posts: 160
    Stopped into my dealer on Friday. They said they aren't giving GM Supplier Discount on the G8 - too new and in demand. Is that up to the dealer though? If it's an agreement between GM and my company, wouldn't they just have to order me one?

Interestingly, they didn't even have one at the dealership - maybe they aren't a well loved dealer by GM. It's Champion in Austin TX
    MAP = ERMA...= GREED. Just like the oil Market. Not one segment, the entire market. ALl other prices follow.

As I have said, when it is time for me to replace mt current ride, I do not pay Extra Money to the dealer. It ain't that good!

Regards,
    OW
    According to the latest 2009 information
    I have seen - from GMFleet:

• Bluetooth connectivity for cell phones available (late availability)
    2022 X3 M40i
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    I believe GM Supplier discount is up to the dealer to be honored...its not required.......remember dealers are independent franchises these days.....not corporate owned.....depends on how bad they want your business...
  • dialm4speeddialm4speed Member Posts: 110
    So no manual trans for 09? Or will you have to buy the GXP for that? I haven't seen one in person but it does look nice.
    I believe that GXP is going to be the only way to get it in an MT.

It's a 4,000lb car, so having a manual isn't going to really make a difference as the car is far from trackable at that weight.

-mike
  • dialm4speeddialm4speed Member Posts: 110
    Not really worried about track action. I don't care too much for those auto/manual trannies. I prefer one or the other.
    They are just automatics, that you can choose what gear you want. They aren't DSG style transmissions, there is a torque converter in there.

-mike

"It's not supposed to.... many are not looking for an emblem to fulfill their ego or give therapy to their insecurities. Raw performance and decent comfort features that gives a Bimmer a good spanking and run for it's money."

Not everyone buys a BMW for image/ego. Things like superior build quality/fit and finish, quality of materials (leather and walnut vs plastic), steering feel, sublime suspension tuning - and don't forget the ability to oder a MANUAL transmission - matter to some people more than the emblem. Albeit well-heeled people, which I'm not, but I can still apreciate the differences. The G8 comes up short in the area of comfort features as well. A hard to reach and turn knob to adjust seatback angle??? Come on, you can probably get Cobalts and Focuses (Focii?) with power seatbacks. No nav or Satellite radio option? They don't interest me, but they do seem to matter to a lot of folks. As for the ummm, "spanking", lets look at the "Raw performance" numbers, as tested by R&T:

550i G8

0-60 5.0 5.0 (5.3 Car & Driver)
    0-100 12.1 12.3
    1/4 mi 13.5@105 13.5@104.9 (13.8@104 Car & Driver)
    Top Speed 150 mph 140 mph
    Lat. Accel .92g .85g
    Slalom 65.3 mph 64.3 mph

Like I said, well-heeled, I ain't. But if someone were to give me my choice, paid-for, it wouldn't even be close. Actually, I'd probably go for a 335i, 6 speed manual, no nav, etc. The price difference would be much smaller, and I'd have a lighter car with even better handling and performance numbers, and better fuel economy, too.
    I agree with everything you said... I currently drive a 335i.

However, you say: "Actually, I'd probably go for a 335i, 6 speed manual, no nav, etc. The price difference would be much smaller, and I'd have a lighter car with even better handling and performance numbers, and better fuel economy, too."

You would also have a much smaller vehicle. G8 is a full-sized car; 335i is a compact car.
    You would also have a much smaller vehicle. G8 is a full-sized car; 335i is a compact car.

See the bit about handling and performance. And with gas already over $4/gallon for premium, and still heading north, the extra 4 or 5 mpg could make a difference as well.

The performance figures I quoted didn't format well to the forum, so here's a second try, formatted differently:

550i

0-60 - 5.0
    0-100 - 12.1
    1/4 mi - 13.5 @ 105 mph
    Top Speed 150 mph
    Lat. Accel .92g
    Slalom 65.3 mph

G8

0-60 - 5.0 (5.3 Car & Driver)
    0-100 - 12.3 (12.7 Car & Driver)
    1/4 mi - 13.5 @ 104.9 (13.8 @ 104 Car & Driver)
    Top Speed - 140 mph
    Lat. Accel - .85g
    Slalom - 64.3 mph
This discussion has been closed.