Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe Interior Questions and Problems

Comments

• kdahlquistkdahlquist Member Posts: 130
    I love the Natural Khaki color! It's what I wanted when I bought my 2007 Limited AWD. Unfortunately, I was looking specifically for one with the Touring package (3rd row seat and tow prep), and without a sunroof, so my selection was limited. I settled for one in Dark Cherry Red with the beige interior. It's beautiful, too, though it really shows the road grime quickly.
  • wendolinewendoline Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe and I'm having a problem with my interior facia board rubber going soft and tacky, it leaves finger prints in it when I touch it. I had the car detailed last week and now black rubber is coming off it and onto my hands, it seems to be getting worse.
    Is anyone having the same problem?
    Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix or maybe seal the dash facia board rubber? :cry:
  • arizgeorge1arizgeorge1 Member Posts: 19
    I was very much interested in buying a new Santa Fe until I checked the leg room. I could not move the front seat back far enough (either manual or power seat) for adequate leg room. Meanwhile, my wife was sitting directly behind me was already complaining that her knees were touching my front seat! Wow, this is a very strange situation, since both Consumer Reports and Motor Trend stated that there was adequate leg room, front and back. I am 6.0 ft. and my wife is 5' 9", so we are not really tall people. Has anyone else noticed this problem? Both the Honda CR-V and the new Subaru Forester had more leg room. I am thinking that adding space for the third seat in the Santa Fe, may have reduced the space in the passenger and cargo compartments. George -- Arizona
  • mpuzachmpuzach Member Posts: 635
    I'm 6 ft. tall and have no problem whatsoever with leg room in my 2007 Limited (5 passenger). I don't need to have the driver's seat anywhere near all the way back when I drive.
  • jcwsbltdjcwsbltd Member Posts: 167
    Was this at a dealership demo? Was the steering wheel telescoped all the way out? Start with the seat all the way down and the steering wheel all the way in then adjust as needed.
  • graybeard1graybeard1 Member Posts: 20
    I have always used covers to protect steering wheels. My Santa Fe SE has a leather wrapped steering wheel. I am a little concerned that the tight fit of a cover may damage the leather over time. If I do not use a cover - any suggestions as to how to clean and preserve the condition of the leather?

Thank you.
  • arizgeorge1arizgeorge1 Member Posts: 19
    Thanks guys for your response on the question of leg room in the Santa Fe. Yes, I tried moving the steering in and out and up to give me more leg room both with the manual seat and then the power seat. But, it didn't help. I agree that I should find adequate leg in front for a 6 footer and enough knee room in back according to Motor Trend and Consumer Reports. Nevertheless, I found more leg room in the new Subaru Forester and Honda CR-V. Therefore, I went ahead bought a CR-V. A great SUV for its size and good road handling.
    Has anyone solved the issue of vibration noise in the dash behind radio and even more of the same noise a little more to the passenger side in the dash. The sound is intermittent about 50% of the time. Sounds a little like something in the glove compartment vibrating (but it is empty). Tires are correct pressure and I have pushed on the areas from the outside to see if it is a loose panel - no luck so far. I know someone solved a noise on driver side in the cover over the the speedometer etc displays and someone had a loose section of door panel between the dash and the door - not the same as mine.

Thanks
  • denvertrakkerdenvertrakker Member Posts: 132
    I would strongly recommend NOT putting a cover over a cover!

Here's three suggestions, I'm sure you'll get lots more.

1. Lexol leather conditioner

2. Saddle soap (more work, but worth it)

3. Nothing. I'm not planning on doing a thing to the leather on my '08 SF's steering wheel - I hate the feel of the residue from ANY of that stuff. But that's just me.
    Thanks. I tend to agree with you.

If not cleaned, the day will come when the leather will be caked with dirt; this is true for the transmission shifer knob also. I assume saddle soap will be the best bet.
  • ssbn632ssbn632 Member Posts: 2
    Anyone know where to get a new (or used ) cover?
    Maybe a direct from Korea supplier? It's a 2002 w/ Beige int.
    US dealers want $300!! :mad: :P
  • np45np45 Member Posts: 7
    that noise may be the antenna cable vibrating from not being secure behind the dash....I had this problem with my 02 Saab 9/5....what you can do is wrap in in some 1 inch foam that should work
    Thanks, I will keep this in mind. The dealer has by car and cannot duplicate sound as it is intermittent. At night I hear nothing, sometimes in the day is when I hear it. I have ascertained it is in the dash and heard primarily through the center AC vent on the passenger side.
  • r8cutr8cut Member Posts: 21
    I was very much interested in buying a new Santa Fe until I checked the leg room. I could not move the front seat back far enough (either manual or power seat) for adequate leg room. Meanwhile, my wife was sitting directly behind me was already complaining that her knees were touching my front seat! Wow, this is a very strange situation, since both Consumer Reports and Motor Trend stated that there was adequate leg room, front and back. I am 6.0 ft.

That is bizarre. I'm 6'5" and I don't need the seat all the way back in the Santa Fe. However I do in the CRV. Further, the listed front legroom for the Santa Fe is about 1.3 in. more than the CRV. However the CRV does have about 2 in. more legroom in the 2nd row seat.
  • ssbn632ssbn632 Member Posts: 2
    check for pine needles in the blower area ;)
  • rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    I am 6'1", 240lbs and have enough leg and head room, but not much to spare. However, most of my height is in my torso (32" inseam). You must be the opposite. Long legs, short torso. 2007 Santa Fe SE AWD with sunroof.
  • nacenace Member Posts: 45
    hi folks, i have heard and have read reviews that the santa fe had a hard ride.
    i recently had a controled test drive in an area that was free of bumps ,railroad tracks and the like. i felt the ride was good.
    my question is, are the reviews and hear say exaggerated ? was my controled test drive (ideal routing) a way of hiding a hard ride?
    thank you, nace
  • lucky15lucky15 Member Posts: 72
    Yes it was, I have a 07 GLS which has 16 inch wheels and I carry 32lbs. in the front and 30 in the rear and I have a very nice ride , if you were test driving an SE or Limited they have a 17 inch wheel, I believe, and with there being a little less sidewall on those tires to absorb the rough pavement you would experince a firmer ride, assuming you have the tires properly inflated.
  • drwoodrdrwoodr Member Posts: 88
    I have on 07 SE, and everyone that gets in it comments on how smooth the ride is. I test drove a lot of cars before deciding on the SF, and the ride was one of the biggest reasons I bought it.
    If it was a demo, did you check that the telescoping steering wheel was pushed all the way in - people do mess with things on a demo. Also if the seat has been raised all the way up, it diminishes the leg rom to the underside of the steering column cover. To find my best seating position, I started with everything in it's pushed in, low down position and then raised the seat, pushed it back and adjusted the backrest as well as the steering column.
    Historically, What everyone (who minded)complained about on the Limited with 18" wheels, was the seemingly hard side walls on the Dueller Tires. Everyone is usually struck by the interior quietness, and in contrast, the sidewalls of the tires seemed to give a hard bumpy ride over any kind of bump or crack in the road.

It was the way the tires were designed to take the weight (4000 lbs) of the vehicle. It's also why they probably recommended a low 30 psi for these tires, to compensate for the rigid walls. There have been several posts about changing the tires to a softer wall to make the ride smoother.

I also suspect they used the dueller tires because of the ESC and Traction controls for handling reasons, and also so they didn't have to put a full size spare wheel in the back if there was a flat (rigid tire walls mean less damage if there is a flat.)
  • NY_MaverickNY_Maverick Member Posts: 26
    It should also be noted that Bridgestone Dueller's are the de facto OEM tires used by most Japanese automakers. If you recently bought a Lexus, Toyota, or Honda SUV, you likely are also driving on Bridgestone Dueller's. Like a lot of things in life, these tires aren't all that great in one particular arena, but rather the ultimate compromise in many arenas (noise, performance, comfort, price, etc).

2008 AWD Limited.
  • nacenace Member Posts: 45
    jcw, maverick,lucky15,drwood, thank you,for your response.
    ***nace***
  • jr1jr1 Member Posts: 9
    I wear my seat belts and do not need advice to wear one or just to put it on or fasten it to make the auto quite.

I have other vehicles that have buzzers and they go do not go on incessantly while you sit in the auto just checking out things or maintenance etc?

What happened to the lights that told you to fasten your seat belt after a 5 sec. buzzer?
    Bunch of you sound like Big Brother breathing down one neck with all this seat belt criticism.

How about some helpful solutions. .. they are not trying to bypass safety but it is one's decision to smoke or eat fatty foods, or what ever.

What happen to buzzers that plays a musical note, etc.
  • LisaDLisaD Member Posts: 50
    I'm curious if the 2nd row ANGLE could be reduced to where they fold more flat instead of the slope. There must be some tweak to do this. I have no use for a 2nd row but haven't bought the car yet to take a look-see. I'd love to adjust that angle though.
  • roger39roger39 Member Posts: 1
    Buy a seat belt extender from Toyota (since Hyundai does not make them) and use it. Put your seat belt into the extender and leave the extender snapped into the seat belt female connection that normally holds your seat belt. Works for my pals.
  • ccv1ccv1 Member Posts: 3
    HI....owned the FIRSt Hyundai out there, Excel, back in 1989. Going back to Hyundai, hopefully, within the week. This time, a Santa Fe. Husband and son want slate blue gray leather, cause they are worried about the beige interior. I spend a lot of time in my car, but no longer have little kids (16 and 19). I need HONEST opinions on how the leather holds up so I can make a decision.....I want the Natural Khaki with beige leather, but will go with their choice if the beige is impossible to take care of.

Anyone can help me out? Thanks!
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    I have an 08 SF Limited in Slate Blue exterior and the beige leather interior. I have had it over a year and it is still good as new. About the only issue I have had is that my winter leather coat (black) will leave a little stain, but a quick cleaning with a good leather cleaner takes care of that quickly. My opinion--go for the beige! ;)
    Thanks, I'd like to and I'm hoping I can get more opinions in favor of it for my husband to agree!!
  • yellowvetteyellowvette Member Posts: 25
    I just bought a new 09 Santa Fe Limited with the Beige leather interior also and it looks great. Love the GPS and the Infinity sound system Too.
    How long have you had it? I love the look of the beige, but worried about wear. Edmunds gave it BAD reviews about holding up over time. Worries me.
  • gman30341gman30341 Member Posts: 3
    I recently bought the 09 Santa Fe Limited with the combo Natural Khaki and beige interior, great combination. I would suggest putting a sealant on the leather to protect it from stains and wear/tear. This can be done at the dealership or a detailer.
    I have an '08 SE, Natural Khaki with beige CLOTH interior. Almost 2 years old, numerous trips with grandkids and only one little stain that came out with Resolve. Guess it all depends on how well you treat the upholstery...and the car.
  • ronkennedy61ronkennedy61 Member Posts: 23
    I need to remove and reinstall the lever to install seat covers. Anyone know how to do that ?
  • espo35espo35 Member Posts: 144
    Are you sure you want to add seat covers? The side airbag is located within the side seat bolsters. Now, in an accident, the airbags likely deploy with enough force to tear through the cover, but it would surely be delayed a milli-second or more....maybe enough for your head to crack open!
  • ronkennedy61ronkennedy61 Member Posts: 23
    Thanks to espo35. Seat covers offered on Costco.com say they have cut-out for air bags. Will doublecheck this.
    I've seen the type you're referring to. Should work with no problem!
    SANTAFE(CM) >2007 > G 3.3 DOHC > Body (Interior and Exterior) > Seat & Power Seat > front seat > Repair procedures

RECLINER COVER REPLACEMENT1. Remove the front cover (A).

2. Remove the recliner rever (A) and sliding rever (B).
    3. Loosen the recliner mounting screw and clip, then remove the recliner cover (C).

4. Installation is the reverse of removal.
    SEAT BACK COVER REPLACEMENT1. Remove front seat assembly.
    2. Remove the recliner cover.
    3. After disconnecting the scuff band (A), remove the seat back panel (B).

Here's the text of the procedure- the plastic cover along the front of the bottom of the cushion must be removed to access.
    Had it about 2 months now, no problems yet. I worried about the carpet being so light in color, but it seems to be okay even with all this wet weather we have had here in La.
  • counselor4444counselor4444 Member Posts: 47
    We now have two 2009 Santa Fe SE's - one with gray interior and just bought one with beige interior. I plan on using scotchguard on both- upholstery and carpeting.
    Thx. I think I will do that too.
  • somedai1somedai1 Member Posts: 416
    has anyone experienced water leaking into their '07 Santa Fe AWD limited? NO SUNROOF! The water is coming in through the driver side pillar (behind windshield) - possible seal problem - the seal was repaired at dealer a while ago - seems like that could be the culprit.... would the seal still be under warranty after 68k miles?
  • nicky123nicky123 Member Posts: 2
    Hello eveyone,
    I'm wondering if anyone else has had concerns with the distance from the steering wheel to the center console. I typically drive with my right arm on an armrest and find the distance in the santa fe to be too far! I can't hold the steering wheel and rest my right arm at the same time. And this is with the steering wheel fully extended. Is this just a silly concern and something that I'll adjust to? Or should I walk away from an otherwise great vehicle (haven't bought it yet).
    Thanks!
    This might help:

http://www.autosportcatalog.com/miscellaneous-comfort/armrest-console-cushions.c- fm

It doesn't decrease the distance to the console, but it raises your arm up decreasing the angle.
  • nicky123nicky123 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the link. I thought of making something like that.

I guess I'm wondering if it's just an adjustment to a new car issue and that I won't notice it in a month.

Is no one else bothered by this?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited April 2010
    If you noticed it in the showroom or on a test drive, my guess is that you'll always be bugged by it. You could retest with a cushion or pillow and see if some extension like that would fix the adjustment for you.
  • justjenn4nowjustjenn4now Member Posts: 2
    Hello:
    My window is doing the EXACT same thing. What did you find out/end up doing?
    Thanks,
    Jenn
  • lj51057lj51057 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2 month old 2010 Santa Fe - chronic problem w/ leak on driver and passenger side - feet area. Is this where your leak is located? dealer can't find cause.... also air conditioner keeps shutting down - they can't find cause of that either! not very happy new car owner!
    Sounds like both problems likely have the same cause - something to do with the condenser coil, which is up under the dash or on the firewall. There's probably a kinked drain hose, which makes the pan under the coil fill up and overflow. Dealer should be able to find this fairly easily - perhaps doesn't want to? Solution is either take it to another dealer, or contact Hyundai America and tell them you're ready to file under Lemon Law. That usually gets their attention.
  • jrywelskijrywelski Member Posts: 1
    I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how easy it is to repalce the driver side interior door handle on a 2003 Santa Fe. The handle grip broke off and the cable has fallen inside the door. Also, I've searched a few auto parts sites and can't seem to locate the part on line. I keep coming up with exterior handles. Any suggestions on where to find the parts other than a dealer?