Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Am Wet Floor!

dr_zoidbergdr_zoidberg Member Posts: 4
edited January 2015 in Pontiac
I have a 95 pontiac grand am. The floor under the driver's side is always wet in a distninct spot, although there are no apparent seal problems, or leaks from the steering column, or under the dashboard. I haven't the slightest clue what this could be. HELP!

Comments

• kmajorskmajors Member Posts: 17
    Is the floor wet with:

Water?
    Hydrolic Fluid?
    Oil?
    Transmission Fluid?

What color? Temp?

Did you look under the carpet to see if there is a hole in the floor pan?

Turn on the heater and see i you get a drip? Make sure the AC drain is clear.

Just some ideas.
  • dr_zoidbergdr_zoidberg Member Posts: 4
    Its water. It just rained this weekend and the bloody thing is soaked.
    I hate this car. :mad:
  • ga1992ga1992 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 92 Grand Am and the trunk was filled with water because one litte part of the weathestrip on the trunk was ripped.Try checking the weatherstriping over the door. Also if u have wet feet and no floor mat u can make the fllorwet and it will stay wet.I also noticed that there is a space between the top of the door and where it meets the car roof.
  • error42error42 Member Posts: 1
    has your problem been fixed? I have a ford contour 2000, and im currently experiencing the same problem. going to tackle the weather stripping tomorrow. ive read somewhere about replacing body plugs on the car. I dont have a clue on how to do that though.
  • buckeyegirl172buckeyegirl172 Member Posts: 2
    I had this same prob with my 97 grand am. My boyfriend and his friend took out the seats and all the carpet, and we used a turkey baster to get out all the standing water. It was terrible. All the padding was ruined and we bought new. I took it to the dealer (big mistake) and they charged me over $300 for what couldn't have taken them more than 3 minutes. All they did was take some spray and sealed under the windshield. For that, they should have at least put the interior back, but no, we had to do that.
  • edededskiedededski Member Posts: 5
    I too have the same problem with at least a half inch of water under the rug of my 95 grand am. tried everything to eliminate it but it just keeps coming back.have you had any luck solving your problem? also the windshield fogs really bad in the winter.never need to add any fluids.
    can anyone solve this problem or tell me if its safe to drill a few small holes under the rug through the floor so it can at least drain?
  • mlhowardmlhoward Member Posts: 3
    Right after I bought the car I had it parked facing downward on a hill. We had a huge storm and the next day I was driving and I heard a sloshing sound in the trunk. I get home, take everything out and open up the spare tire compartment. It was totally filled with water. We cleaned it out, checked for anything that could be leaking and put it back together. The next storm I parked it facing up the hill and it stayed totally dry. If you aren't parking on a flat, covered surface you should try facing it different ways.
  • sissysnymansissysnyman Member Posts: 8
    Hi,

I own a 95 Pontiac Grand Am and am having the SAME EXACT problem as you. I've taken it to 2 different mechanics who've both charged me for doing certain things to it but it's NOT FIXED! I just got it out of the last shop a couple days ago and it was nice and dry. Then, we had a rainy day and now the floor is all wet again on the drivers side! Also, the windsheild fogs up BAD on the inside due to the moisture. That causes me to have to scarp the inside of the car each morning of the winter! Basically, my car is :sick: and I need help getting it :)

Have you found out what is causing this yet? Please let me know so I can point the mechanic in the right direction. He's as baffled as I am!

Kind Regards,
    Sissy
  • nopropmtbnopropmtb Member Posts: 1
    My 95 smelled bad and had wet front floor carpets due to leaks in the firewall. I had to pull back all the carpet and wire brush 1 large hole(half a dollar bill size) and 4 smaller coin size holes about where your toes would be when sitting and legs stretched out. To see the rust from outside the car....passenger side below the heater fan is a lip on the fire wall, just below it is where you will find rot. i used Goop after bondo on the holes all through out this area side to side and NO MORE WET FLOOR !!! waddamesstho
    I wonder if this is what is going on with my 95 Grand Am. If so, about how much would the mechanic charge me to fix it? To goop and bondo it up as you say? My drivers side floor is ALWAYS saturated, especially after rainy weather and the inside of the car gets foggy and windsheild needs to be scraped in the winter! Very annoying, I have to roll up my pant legs everytime I get in! :sick:

Kind Regards,
    Sissy
    tried everything.still leaks.drilled holes in the floor an eight of an inch.keeps it pretty dry but i know come winter ill still have the ice inside problem. someone said look for evaportion hose clog. couldn t find the hose. good luck and please let us know.
  • garcivasgarcivas Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have the same problem with my '92 Grand Am, wet floor on the passenger side in the front and in the back. It's water because it happens only when it rains. I was actually able to eliminate the problem in the front by running a bead of black silicone sealant along the bottom of the windshield where the glass meets the weatherstripping (on the outside). I tried the same thing on the rear window, but that didn't solve the problem. So now I have a wet floor on the passenger side in the back, but not in the front. Rainwater is getting in somehow, I just have to find out where it's coming in. I'm guessing the weatherstripping on the door, or maybe the trunk. I'll try to post something if I actually fix it.
  • ncshadetreencshadetree Member Posts: 1
    We had the same problem, but it was the sunroof.
    i have had my heater core replaced twice and now its getting wet on the passenger side floor again. at over 1200.00 a pop can any one tell me why this keeps happening or why it happened the first time? thank you
  • barbstoy99barbstoy99 Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the info. I took the carpet out on the passenger side and caulked with silicone everywhere I could reach. Under the hood I was able to do the top of the heater fan but HOW do I get to the lip on the underside???? The carpet on the drivers side is soaked also, will this fix help that side? I already used clear silicone sealant on the lower edge of the windshield and used foam weatherstripping on the doors and trunk. No more leak in the trunk. Also have electrical problems, no tailights, new bulbs, where is the relay switch that I keep hearing about??
  • luck4meluck4me Member Posts: 1
    I have a 94 grand am and I had wet floor in the front both sides. I used silicone around windshield and on a few places on weatherstripping where all 4 doors meet roof. No more leak on passenger side but drivers side still soaked (after rain) so now I'm going to pull back the carpet like nopropmtb did. No other way to be sure where its coming from, I'll relate what I find. Had a little water in trunk (weatherstipping in rough shape) but I just drilled a hole in lowest point in tire well to drain for now.
  • tannttannt Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a 2003 Grand Am and just noticed tonight that there's water standing under the passenger seat and in the back floorboard on the passenger side. I felt everywhere and can't find anything else in the car that is even the least bit damp. I've read all the posts here but they all pertain more to the front floorboard. Anyone have any ideas? I live in Illinois and we did get snow this weekend. Thanks, in advance, for any help or clues that you guys may have.

Tammy
  • vvs_nailsvvs_nails Member Posts: 4
    there should be a recall on these cars with all the dng water, this has been happening in my 93 for5 years, nobody can find where it is coming from, and i have done everything this site has said and still water. all water seals replaced, what do they all have the 2 quater and small whole in them under the carpet, mind did too. and now my fan will not work, sometimes it comes on and most time don't. the black lide was off under the hood by the right frount under the hood, now that they put cap on it, now heater fan don't want to work.HELPPPPPPPPP
  • vvs_nailsvvs_nails Member Posts: 4
    OK, ABOUT TWO YEARS AGO, NOBODY COULD FIND OUT WHAT MY PROBLEM WAS WITH THE CAR, IT WANTED TO START AND NO REASON IT SHOULDN'T, BUT ANYWAYS THERE WAS THIS FAN, SMALL FAN UNDER THE FROUNT OF THE CAR, AND WHEN THE CAR BOTTOMS OUT, IT MAKES THE FAN NOT WORK, CAR HAS NEVER DONE THIS AGAIN, SO IF U ONLY NEW HOW MENY PEOPLE SAID IT WAS THIS AND THAT, AND ALL IT IS, WAS THIS CHEAP SMALL FAN UNDER FROUNT PART OF CAR.
  • cpatrsoncpatrson Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Grand Am and this is the third year I have taken it to the body shop to have leaks repaired. The first leak was in the trunk and said to be the tail light seal. The second leak was inside the car itself with the front driver and passenger areas deep in water. That was said to be the rear windo seal. I am going to pick up the car today for the third water leak. This time it is said to be a pressure vent somewhere on the back of the car. The bumper had to be removed to get to it. If this car leaks again, I am going to throw a tarp over it and give up.
    tell me about it! I'm about to give my POS 95 Grand Am to a Demolition Derby LOL :sick: . I have taken it to mechanics regarding the driver side floor leak and they keep doing differnet things to it like fixing the cowling and sealing different spots... and the bloody thing keeps on leaking!!! I've pretty much had it with the beater. As soon as my husband moves over from England we are getting something new and demo derby or junk yarding this POS :sick: .
  • abargeabarge Member Posts: 1
    I have an 03 and same thing happened in Jan. It was the drain from the sun roof
  • mas35mas35 Member Posts: 5
    Me too, 95 Grand Am 2 door Both Footwells flood when it rains. I have had the rug pulled and floor siliconed. Now the next step is to pull dash for $700. If you managed to fix your leaking car, please share.
    Thanks
    Mary Ellen
    Hi
    I have the same leak too. Did you figure out how to get to the underside of the heater??
    Please share.
    Thanks
    mes :confuse:
    Hi there,

I was unable to ever fix the leak in my 95 Grand Am inspite of trying several mechanics. Unfortunately, the wet floor is not my only concernt anymore. My mechanic told me that it's time to let my car go as it's losing anti-freeze due to something eating it up and passing it out the exhaust. He fears it's expensive like a head gasket :sick: . Also, he thinks I'm having a computer module problem with my brakes as they act up sometimes. I am not searching for a used or new Toyota or Honda so hopefully I'll get a good deal!

I was really hoping to keep this car until my husband got here from England this August :cry:
  • 93grandamsev693grandamsev6 Member Posts: 3
    Here is what to do, it stopped the water leak in my 93 Grand Am. You'll need a helper and about a good Saturday afternoon to work on it.
    What i did was,
    *Remove the hood, removed the windshield wipers, the plastic piece under the wipers to expose the hole where the leak happens.
    *There are two weep holes, one on each side of the car, they get clogged up with leaves and such and prevent water from escaping. The drivers side one is very easy to clean out, the passenger side one takes the work.
    *There is a black box with a flapper on it, this is for the fresh air intake for your AC (and i belive for your heater as well) you much remove these two pieces. you will see the hole where the water runs into you car (2.5 inches high and 7 or 8 long). This hole is above the glove box.

*Clean of the black box pieces, clear the leaves and such from around that weep hole.

*Run to your favorite home improvement store (preferable in someone elses car not your since you don't have your hood on the car) and grab clear silicone. Make sure you get one that can withstand the elements. Run a bead of silicone around the black box where the old rubber gasket is and reattach it to the car, reattach the flapper piece.
    And since i'm anal retentive i used the rest of the tube and caulked the HECK outta it, (well after two years of dealing with Lake Erie in your car you'll be desperate as well LOL)

After i did this i let it sit for a day in the sun to let it bake on and then i took a hose and ran it right over the windsheild not a single drip in the car.

I am still lookin for the trunk leak thou keep ya posted

Chuck :P
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    Check around the tail light housing seals for your trunk leak.
  • 93grandamsev693grandamsev6 Member Posts: 3
    OH you should see my caulk job there. That leak is mostly my fault.
    I have an SE but i got a hold of GT tail lights and that is when the leak got worse so i caulked it up. More than likely it's the trunk seal but i'm keeping my options open for anything else it could be.
    For crying out loud i found some rubberizing spray at that HUGE discount department store that everyone hates going to but you can't help but shop there, (can you actually say their name?) and re-did the wheel wells in the rear. If that helped or not i'm really not sure but it makes it look A LOT better.
  • shadowcatshadowcat Member Posts: 1
    i have a 95 grand am and found 2 problems the heater core was replaced and they cracked the plastic cover that lets the condensation from the air conditioner drain out there is a little hose in back behind the radio and i had a leak when it rained that was the weep hole outside under the air grate must remove the hood and wipers it gets cloged with leaves and such good luck
  • 89dam89dam Member Posts: 4
    i had the same problem. i fixed it. all i did was jack up the car to where you can see the bottom no problem clearly. check for any dents or rust spots no matter how big or small. mine was a dent proll the size no bigger then a pencil eraser but wen there was water the i stuck my key in it and noticed it was def. a whole and the water drained right away. i sealed it up and havent had a problem since.
  • norbs1norbs1 Member Posts: 2
    The past few days have been rainy ones....

So I go to get somthing out of my car, and what do I find? 2 - 3 inches of water above the carpets. And when you step on the carpet, it feels like your standing on a water bed. I have a 1990 grand am, and I have a water problem.

I started the clean-up. I sucked about 5 gallons of water out off of the tops of the carpets with a wet-vac. I pulled out the seats, pulled up all the carpets. I found a good 2-3 inches of water under the rugs. Wet vaced it all up.

Time to fix it. The water that was ontop of the rugs was coming from the passanger door, at the top near the seatbet. pulled out the silicone and went to town. Now thats fixed.

However i sat in the car while it rained and saw were the water was coming from. It was all coming from the firewall. Tommorrow, I am going to try the fix that someone said on here, I think the weep holes are jamed. I will let you know what I find.

However, the trunk showed anoyther problem. I found over 10 inches of water in there. It was an ez fix. The grand am is prone to rusting. So I looked for holes. I found my holes by taking a sharp rod and jaming it in the tirewell. when I did that it opened a fist sized rust hole going right into the trunk. After more proding around, I found another hole in the tirewell that went right into the back seat of the car. Went over to Ace hardware, got some bondo and glooped it on. No more wate in the trunk, or back seat.

Hope this helps!
  • 89dam89dam Member Posts: 4
    i no this has nothing to do with this topic but im new here and im tryin to figure stuff out, and well i cant. lol im tryin to figure out how to post my own brand new topic but the only thing i can find is to reply to other topics. can some one please let me no how i can do this?
  • norbs1norbs1 Member Posts: 2
    hey chuck, how do I get those wipers off?

I have tryed everything!
    click on the link that says Host Help
  • pos95gapos95ga Member Posts: 4
    WOW! afte reading all the posts on this forum about grand am's I feel so much better! still frustrated but I know I'm not the ONLY one having problems. (haha world doesn't revolve around me anymore. LOL)
    I have a 1995 red pontiac grand am GT, 4 door... got in march 2004, had 120k miles on it. not too bad for the age I guess. it had one owner prior to me and it looked as if the previous owner took good care of the car. The exterior is in great condition and so is the interior (except for the driver and passenger side floor).
    I have a leak on the driver side floor, this has been going on for over a year now. I've taken it to several mechanics, paid all sorts of money and it's STILL not fixed. Finally I just got fed up with pulling money out of my [non-permissible content removed] and it not doing any good. Mechanically the car is great and I have NEVER broke down... the car now has 165k on it. I try to take real good care of the car, regular oil changes/maintanence..etc. Truth is I HATE that car right now, I HATE IT SOOOO BAD! I hate when I spend lots of $ for something to be fixed and it's not fixed. I'd pay any amount of money to just get it fixed!

well last night it was raining hard... I KNEW that this morning I would walk to my car, open the door and see a puddle on the driver side floor... YAY! no shop vac to suck it up so I had to keep my feet out of the water so it wouldn't soak into my shoes.. and of course I needed to be able to use the brake/gas. YAY! (sarcasm) WELL I found out today not only is my driver side filled with water. but after reading everyone's post here I decided to investigate. I lifted up my passenger side floor mat and it's a little wet as well. NOW I remember checking it before and it was never wet, so obviously the problem is getting worse.
    Before I left work today I decided to pop the hood as well and check my oil/fluids and all that. I popped the trunk, went to grab my paper towels and they were soaking wet! that's a first! SO NOW my FREAKING TRUNK IS LEAKING! WTF?! ya know?! I hate this POS and never again will I buy a grand am just because of all the forums I have read about them. NOT JUST THIS FORUM, but I've searched online and looked at many other forums, grand am's are notorious for leaking in these area's. (mostly the driver side floor)
    and yes I know my car is 12 years old... (actually 13 cuz it came out at the end of 94 but whatever). so I don't expect the car to act like a brand new 2007 ford mustang or anything like that. Right now the car runs fine and I'd gladly race anyone in it if I had to. ;) LOL the water leak has got to stop though, it's disgusting smelling. someone told me to get some baking soda and put it in there, it's supposed to suck up the smell.... IT BETTER! It's been well over a year and it's annoying. only when it rains real hard is when it leaks. although even when it's not raining, the floor is damp. (yep, there's water under there hanging out having a party, waiting for me.. I know). I am dreading even seeing what all is under the carpet. YUK. Anyways this weekend if I'm able I'm going to have a buddy of mine check it out. it sounds like the water is coming through these "weep holes" you're talking about. I sure hope I can get this fixed and move on.
    as for the trunk leak, hell if I know. who knows. I've never had any problems with it til now. maybe a seal somewhere near the tail lights?

Anyways, glad to be a part of this forum, glad we can all vent to each other about our grand am problems. :lemon:

-Nikki

p.s. think it's time for me to get that 2007 ford mustang I've been wanting so bad. hate car payments like the next guy but after all the money I've put into the car, mis well get a stang instead of having this POS grand am nickel and dime my [non-permissible content removed]. :mad:
  • cramat1cramat1 Member Posts: 1
    Would it be possible for an air conditioning system drain to be blocked & the wet floor be from that?
  • barbstoy99barbstoy99 Member Posts: 8
    Pop the cover off at the windshield and there will be a nut to take off. I still have wet floors after a year of trying everything. I replaced the seals in the trunk and sealed the taillights with silicone to take care of that problem. Now my son drives my 95 Grand-Am GT back and forth to work. Its his problem now. :)
  • misterrykmisterryk Member Posts: 1
    I have the same issue w/ my '93 and will be trying these ideas. But here is one thing I can offer - I bought a can of lysol and spray the floors every 2 or 3 days. I do it at night so the smell of the spray disipates somewhat by morning. I still have my puddles, but no mildew odors.
  • 90grandam90grandam Member Posts: 1
    I had many of the same leaks described in other posts. This car has smelled mildewy for years, but only in the last 2 years did we start noticing puddles. We thought it was just the Louisiana humidity for the first 15 years, but it is becoming clear, that this car was just not seaworthy, and probably had some small leaks almost since it was new that we did not notice because the carpet covered them. I wonder if all cars have minor leaks lurking under the carpet, or if Grand Ams have some special problem:

1. Trunk leak. After a somebody bumped into me at a stop light, the trunk started collecting water. I did not correlate it to that at the time, but this jarred one of the rubber washers ( or seal/grommet) loose on one of the screws holding the taillight assembly. I re-sealed with some RTV silicone sealant and it has been dry since.

2. I was collecting water in front of the rear seat on the right side. (It smelled like a cat had left a liquid gift there, and I thought that was what it was for a while, but it was just water festering under the rubber-backed floor mat.) I took off the plastic trim and peeled back the carpet in that area and put a hose on the top to pour water on that side, and it was definitely leaking in the door area. I tried to seal around the weatherstrip with silicone sealant and then with weatherstrip adhesive (3m 8011). There was still some dripping so I looked closer and noted water was dripping in from the center pillar of my 4 door. On closer inspection, I saw a small crack in the sheet metal seam sealer under the exterior drip edge trim, so I bought some new seam sealer and patched it up.

3. Things were better for several months, but then I noticed that dreaded smell again. Then I realized the carpet was wet also on the driver side and some in front of the front seats. I decided to remove the carpet until I could get this under control. If necessary, I was considering drilling holes in the floor to let the water drain out. I went through several stages around the doors and ultimately I replaced the weatherstrips on 3 of the 4 doors and re-did the seam seal. The weatherstrip needed careful application of weatherstrip adhesive 8011 on the top half of the door on the external side. It is not supposed to need that, but I needed it to stop the leaks. I think the adhesive would have worked without the new weatherstrip. I applied new seam sealer on the seams on both sides at the top of the pillar between the doors. I did more careful surface prep this time and completed the job with some touchup paint to protect the sealer. I should have primed the bare metal before applying seam sealer, but I hope what I did do will hold. This dried up the leaks around the doors.

4. Much to my chagrin, I was taking on more water than ever, though. With the carpet removed I was able to see it was pretty clearly coming from the firewall area, which I never bothered to test with the hose. There are channels in the flooring leading to the back seats, so this was probably the major source of the problem all along, although I am still glad I fixed the leaks in the door area. The interior of the firewall looks very difficult to access so I investigated the external side. I removed the wipers and the plastic cowl pieces. On this car, it does not look like the issue is drain holes on the sides plugged. There is a seam about a third of the way up the firewall from the bottom and applying water there with a hose will show the leak in the interior. The main drain for the cowl area seems to be a channel around the HVAC system intake and the blower. This was blocked with leaves. I removed the duct around the blower, and also noticed a pile of mildewy leaves bunched at the evaporator, and cleaned out all the leaves. I am hopeful this will clear up the recent loss of air conditioning capacity on hot days. I am in the middle of this part, but my plan is to go to town with some black roofing caulk on all the sheet metal seams on the firewall and to put some plastic screen material to block the leaves out of the air intake and cowl area. Finally, I will get some black RTV to seal off between the windshield and the plastic cowl, also for the leaves.

This has been a ridiculous amount of work, but after all this, I just have to get it stopped. Hope this is entertaining if not helpful.
  • hhjorthhhjorth Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2002 Grand Am and it seem that the only time I have water is when I park on a little bit of an incline. I only get it on the passenger side of the car though. I'll have my boyfriend check to see if anything is clogged...didn't think about that. I'm more concerned that mine is going to leave me stranded somewhere again!

Have any of you posted complaints with the National Highway Saftey Admin to see if you can get them to force GM to do a recall?
  • mikey001mikey001 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 Grand Am, floor was wet everywhere. Found that the Plenum or area under the cowl has two drains on either side that dump water onto a portion of the fire wall that meets up with the front wheel well. There is a Seam there and it collects water, causing it to rust out on both sides of the car. Pulling out the computer on the passenger side (beneath glove box), and behind the carpet an sound materials, there was a 2" wide by 12" long hole extending towards the centre of the car and under the heater. Also, on the drivers side, same spot between E-brake and brake peddle, a 2" hole. Since I only intend on keeping car for a few more years, i gutted it, dumped the soaked under pad, filled the holes with spray foam, coated the foam with undercoat in the engine compartment and drilled a few drain holes in the floor pan, in each channel. Got some cheap rubber under pad and put the carpet back. Problem solved. What a pain in the butt though.
    I work in one of GM's assembly plants and am happy to say that today, the firewall and wheel well on the inside of the vehicle are one stamped piece with no seem. i guess they figured it was a problem.

Mike
    Mike,
    dang that does sound like a pain in the butt. me and my boyfriends uncle have been working on finding the leak for a while now. we spent 9 hours on the car last sunday. We'll see if it worked after we get a good rain. Right now I got other issues besides water in my car. First, my car started smoking one day when I arrived at work so I popped the hood and a good bit of smoke was coming out and a fluid was leaking onto the ground. I believe it's the power steering going out or something because my car is making a horrible loud noise when turning the steering wheel and it's getting progressively worse and hard to turn. bad news is no one is open because it's near thanksgiving so I gotta wait til maybe black friday and hope some mechanic can get me in short notice/without an appointment and hopefully fix it without it costing me too much money. All I do is keep putting money into this 95 POS grand am. GETS ANNOYING! after I get it fixed I'm selling it! right now I'm waiting on the ford dealership to call me back cuz I want a damn mustang :shades: , so I'm in the process of spending money to buy a newer car. LOL so happy thanksgiving to myself I guess. LOL stupid car problems. I wish I was a mechanic then I could fix my own [non-permissible content removed].
  • aarcuda340aarcuda340 Member Posts: 1
    This is from all data........File In Section: 10 - Body

Bulletin No.: 73-10-68

Date: April, 1998

Subject:
    Water Leaking into Passenger Compartment
    (Apply RTV Silicone Sealer to Top Vent Grille Assembly)

Models:
    1996-98 Buick Skylark
    1996-98 Oldsmobile Achieva
    1996-98 Pontiac Grand Am

Condition

Some owners may comment on water leaking into the passenger front floor area.

Cause

Condition may be due to poor adhesion of the top vent grille assembly to the windshield. The existing seal tape can separate from the glass or the grill above the A/C air intake canister and allow water to overflow into the passenger front floor area.

Correction

Remove the top vent grille assembly. Clean the grille assembly and the surface of contact on the windshield of all sealing tape and adhesive residue. Apply a bead of RTV Clear Silicone Sealer from SM(R), Part # 08662, or equivalent, to the underside of the top vent grille assembly where the old seal tape was removed. Reinstall the grille. Wipe excess RTV Sealer horizontally across sealing area to achieve a smooth finish.
    thank you! I will try that fix, buy my leak is in both sides of the front and I have a 95 Grand AM -- I was told that it is more a problem of the firewall separation because the formulation for the steel plate was incorrect at manufacture and just rusted through!
    Well after spending 9 hours on trying to find the leak I believe we got mine fixed finally. you gotta pull up the carpet on the driver side, take out the driver seat so you have room to get in the car and look around at things... apparently there's a panel right behind the parking brake and brake... I guess this panel was letting water come right through and that's why my floor would be wet or have an inch or two of water in the floor.. unfortunately when we pulled up the carpet we saw about an inch of water just hanging out. I had a friend of mine fix the leak, he probably put some sort of sealing material so that the panel wouldn't let anymore water come through. if you've tried everything, at least try pulling up the carpet a little bit so you can see the panel behind the brake pedal. have a friend get a hose and run water outside of the car, you should see water coming in. if so, plug up that hole. my car hasn't leaked since, although we haven't had a big rain lately, but we have had some rain and the floor should be soaked but it's not. worth checking into. I've taken my car to several places and they couldn't find the leak so me and some friends have been messing with it and I think we found it!
    p.s. I got a new car now though, so don't really care about the POS grand am anymore. LOL I just drive it in bad weather.
  • chester9chester9 Member Posts: 1
    Progress to date on my 88 grand am leak:

1. The window had a long crack across the drivers side. Had it replaced by a mainline window vendor. They said that all the metal around the window was fine, paint was fine, no rust, no need to have anything welded or rebuilt. They said that they vacuumed out the air intake / windshield wiper levers box. I quizzed them about this and they said that there had been some organic stuff in there ( leaves, pine needles, etc.) but that it had all been vacuumed up.

2. Previous to replacing the window, I had sprayed Fabreze all over the interior and trunk to knock out the mildew odor. The car had not been used on a regular basis for some time and the mildew odor was overpowering. It significantly reduced the smell. I was then able to drive the car and take it in to have the windshield replaced.

3. I used my carpet cleaning machine with the upholstery attachment and spent a Saturday afternoon cleaning the interior and trunk. I saturated everything with spray, let it sit for awhile, and then used the spray and vacuum to finish the job. On a warm fall weekend, I left the windows open so it could all dry out. Nice clean smell now. ( I did look into using a detail company, but I figured I would give it a try first to hold costs down. )

3. Much later, after some major rain storms, i experienced some more water on the front drivers side floor. Arrg!!! I did some searches on the internet and found discussions on the plugged drain holes. I raised the hood and popped off some of the plastic retainers on the black plastic coverings over the air intake / windshield wiper levers box. Near the drivers side, I squeezed my hand in and felt around looking for a drain. My fingers pushed through a small rubberized, magnetized, flapper opening into the engine compartment. I was able to verify that this opening was working and would drain out any water into the engine compartment. I then went over to the passenger side. I found the air intake box, but was not able to find a flapper opening on that side. ( curious, there should be a way to drain water on the passenger side.) I examined the firewall from the engine compartment, and saw a rubber covered fixture below the air intake fan motor housing. I was finally able to check that flapper valve by putting my left hand, palm facing backward and upward, down through the tubes and pipes, and lift up the flapper valve. There was a small chute under the air intake box and it was plugged with a lot of wet organic material. I reached in with my fingers and was able to pull out a lot of the wet material, but not all. I then poured water, cleaned out, poured more water, cleaned out, etc., until I was sure that the chute was clear. So, water must have been filling this chute, encountered some loose seams on the air intake box, and then flowing in to the passenger cabin. Success at last! Keep that chute/flapper valve clean and working and this problem is fixed!!!! ( Not! )

4. After some time, some water began to appear on the front passenger side. There had been some rain storms, but how was the water getting to the passenger side? The mildew smell started up again. I found "odor genie" at Home Depot and that has help keep the mildew smell from coming back. Back to the Internet! There were discussions about the rubber door seals leaking and a leaking seam between the firewall panel and the floorboard panel. I checked and verified that all the drain holes and vents on the bottom of the doors were clear of dirt and debris and should properly drain water. Today I removed the lower plastic trim in the passenger compartment near the doors and pulled back the carpets from behind the pedals. I found a lot of moisture on the driver side by the door molding. The rubber looked a little worn in places, so I will probably replace it. I looked at the condition of the seam sealer all along the front edge behind the brake petals and on the passenger side. The sealer looked to be in good condition, but I did find a lot of moisture. I dried it out and stuffed old towels along seam. I will check the towels tomorrow to see if I can tell what direction the water is coming from. I looked to find a drain line from the ac/heater box under the dash, but could not see or feel it.

4. I will go to the Library and see if they have a shop manual so I can find the condensation drain line from the ac/heater box under the dash. I will also look to figure out how to remove the windshield wiper arm so I can totally remove the black plastic cover over the air intake box and seal any seams on the air intake box.
  • thiscarsucksthiscarsucks Member Posts: 2
    I drive a 97 pontiac grand am and was sweating the cost of getting this piece of garbage fixed... I have a swimming pool on the floor of my car. i started on the drivers side, them both back seats, now the passenger side. I've asked 2 pretty sharp mechanics if they see any reason where this is coming from, etc etc and they just cant figure this out (granted body work wasn't their forte) After it rains, i go to the carwash and vaccuum all the rain out, but when I wake up in the morning to go to work, more water gets in! This is driving me crazy! Dear forum readers, I need a quick fix: Where is this coming from, how do I fix it, and anything I can do to prevent this from worsening: Thanks a billion. Im glad to know so many of us Grand am drivers have the same problem.
    hey,
    my advice, there is water laying somewhere. I'm guessing it might be coming through the firewall.. maybe lift the carpet up where the gas pedal, brake pedal are. the water might be coming through the firewall and coming right down through the panel behind the brake pedal. hard to explain but I saw it for myself when I pulled the carpet back. watched the water come right down behind the brake pedal. I've spent hours and lots of money on my 95 trying to fix it. FINALLY I said wtf? and bought me a brand new ford mustang. :blush:
    I doubt it's the windshield but who knows. that's the only thing I haven't had replace in my car yet. when it rains I still get water in my car but not as bad since we sealed up where we saw the water coming from. I'd save yourself a lot of aggravation and buy a car cover for it... when it's supposed to rain go out there and put it on. this is a flaw that A LOT of people have had with this car... no definite fix. my car smells like mildew and mold, it's disgusting. I hate it. it's frustrating so you're definitely not alone! good luck.
  • thiscarsucksthiscarsucks Member Posts: 2
    thanks so much for the advice! Once it warms up (Im in Ohio) I'll get to work. For now, its vaccuum out the water (as long as its not frozen!)!