Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    The plastic grille doesn't bother me at all, but maybe that's because I have several rust spots on the grille from rocks etc. and not having touch up paint around. For that reason it seems reasonably sensible.
  • aljodoroaljodoro Member Posts: 5
    I read the Rubicon has a unique 4wd or AWD system? There were no further explaination. Can anyone provide more details on the driveline systems available? Thanks, Al
  • jcountsjcounts Member Posts: 2
    This should be a no-brainer. The CRD engine for the Wrangler is an export only option. It can't be due to emissions , because the 2.8 is certified here in the Liberty! what gives??? Man, if they offer it eventually, I'll buy one the day I find out about it!Anyone have any leads/educated guesses?
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    and the new diesel requirements in the US. I think you'll see more diesels available after that as the new diesel is supposed to even meet California spec requirements. At that point, I would expect to see more of those DC diesels in vehicles other that MB.

-Paul
  • dkoopdkoop Member Posts: 26
    Anyone heard anything about the first official showing of the new 4 door wrangler? :confuse:
    This should be a no-brainer
    Except that DC is playing the typical german head up their butt game. I think they are scared stiff of the crd 2.8 here in the states. I still see a lot of issues over on the Libery CRD forum. A lot of people are still spending a ton of time at the dealer fixing their jeep CRD. It's really too bad. Getting this drive train right for the US is really a no-brainer.
  • hg97tj_07jkhg97tj_07jk Member Posts: 1
    Nothing yet on the 4-door other than April 12 is the start of the NY show where it's scheduled to be unveiled. I would keep an eye on www.jrations.com and http://www.jeepnewsnow.com/modules/news/ as they seemed to be the first to post info on the 2-door JK just before it was unveiled in Detroit in January.
    Check this link for promo pics of the 4 door.
    http://www.jeepnewsnow.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=1022
    Now show me diesel and I'm a buyer!!
  • jacknimblejacknimble Member Posts: 171
    looks pretty good with the half doors.
  • nolid5nolid5 Member Posts: 148
    pic was a little large so i'll post the link 2004 Jeep Rescue Concept
  • mrjjgittesmrjjgittes Member Posts: 156
    I am concerned about the integrity of the 3 piece roof. Lots of potential for leaks, drafts, vibration etc. I actually wish jeep would have come out with a real hardtop option like the rescue for those not inclined to remove the roof. Oh well, wait and see...
  • shellymeister2shellymeister2 Member Posts: 115
    Actually, I saw 2 vehicles, 1 red and 1 military-metallic green, both Rubicons. They were called Jeep Unlimiteds.

I was never a huge Wrangler fan (looks-wise), but these new 4 door versions are definitely winners. I was able to get up close to one of them (the green one) and ythis version had its roof completely removed so I could get a good look at the interior space as well as the roll bar layout.

There is just SO MUCH room iside these new Wranglers its just fantastic.

Absolutely no problem hauling 4 people with a ton of gear. Lots-o-legroom in second row and a huge "trunk" capacity.

Roll bar looks a little weak, but covers the entire open roof square footage.

Looks absolutely cool with roof completely removed and doors left in place.

Gotta be quieter on the road with this new configuration as well. :D
  • millionmillion Member Posts: 1
    I am new to the site and have some questions:

On the new 2007 Ulimited, will there be the option of 2 or 4 doors?

Also, is it true that there will be power doors and locks? I heard that you will basically plug/unplug the electrical connection when installing/removing the doors.

Finally....when will the 2007 really be available?

Thanks for the help!
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Are there mileage ratings out for the Wrangler and Wrangler Unlimiteds yet?
  • drewmeisterdrewmeister Member Posts: 168
    Here's my understanding of the facts so far, as they relate to your questions.

No option on the Unlimited for 2 or 4 doors. The Unlimited will have 4, the regular Wrangler will have 2.

There will be power door locks and power windows. Since the doors are removeable, a plug connection similar to the hard top wiper connection already in place seems likely. So, future owners, put your windows down before unplugging!

The regular new Wrangler (JK) will be this summer, and the best date I've heard for the four door is 4th qtr of this year (sometime after August).

Jeep has updated the Unlimited 2007 sections on it's website. Many cool new pics. Hope that answers a couple of your ?'s...
  • xthecatxthecat Member Posts: 30
    I'm really big on the "new" model. Any chance that the new 3.8 V6 will be better on milage, say mid to high 20's MPG??
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    High 20's isn't really possible, but I hope close to mid 20's highway. Maybe 24MPG highway.
  • funpilotfunpilot Member Posts: 66
    I was told at the NY Auto Show that it would be 17-21...
  • clarkkentclarkkent Member Posts: 154
    I have read that the 4 door comes first then the 2 door a month of so later.

So which comes first? The 4 or 2 door. It's an age old question. The chicken or the egg? ;)
    OH CONTRAIRE!<SP. MY 4L 6 CYL HAS 183,000 AND NOT A DROP OF OIL EVER! :)
  • jeepdtjeepdt Member Posts: 15
    The new Unlimited will be tipping me over to the Wrangler.

Just image a 4-DOOR rock hopping CONVERTABLE!

I'll be handing over my down payment as soon as they are willing to accept it!:)
    From what I understand the "new" 2007 chasse will be made by the Hyundai Corporation, and other parts like doors by someone else. Only the assembly will be done in the States??
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Because of the 4-door's 116" wheelbase, which is longer than any other Jeep out there except perhaps the long-gone J-Series pickups, the breakover angle is not great. At least not great compared to the 2-door model, which has a wheelbase 20+ inches less.

So those expecting the 4-door to perform off road as capably as the 2-door, you will likely be disappointed.

Bob
  • jay50jay50 Member Posts: 6
    When the MB v6 Bluetec goes into the Liberty and Wrangler you should see 30 MPG. The question is when will DCX see the value in doing this?????
    :shades: When the MB v6 Bluetec goes into the Liberty and Wrangler you should see 30 MPG. The question is when will DCX see the value in doing this?????
    If and when DCX puts the 3liter MB Bluetec engine in then we will see 30 mpg or so. That is a no brainer for us, but we have to wait for DCX to get on the bandwagon.
  • dhans1dhans1 Member Posts: 1
    Any word on an announcement date for pricing and availability of the Wrangler 2-door?
  • sturm_rugersturm_ruger Member Posts: 27
    The 3.8 not only has more horsepower and torque than the 4.0, but it's lighter, shorter and maintains its torque at speeds above 3400 rpm.

Both the Wrangler and the Unlimited (4-Door) will likely spawn pickup versions. Similar to the concept Gladiator, the 2-Door model will probably be given the Scrambler name.

All Wrangler models will be built at the Toldeo plant. The last TJ will come off the line July 21.
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    Thanks for the information. July 21 will be a nostalgic day. Do auto makers/assembly plants ever do anything special with the last one made, when it's a model like the Wrangler? While it wouldn't have mattered to anyone when the last Ford Pinto would have been produced, but there are people who get nostalgic about cars like the Wrangler, some of the Mustangs, perhaps the Corvettes etc.

How much re-tooling do they have to do to start producing the 2007 models? Then they'd have to produce enough and then shipping etc. - does that mean that it will be September before you'll see them at the dealers?
    July 21 is my birthday too... coincidence??? :)

Usually automakers change the design every 7 years or so, so I don't think anything special is really done, except when the name is being discontinued, like Chevrolet did for the Camaro a few years ago.

Retooling will depend on how they are going to build it (ie are they using new technologies). There will undoubtedly be reprogramming of existing tools/robots, etc, but I don't think they are introducing any groundbreaking technology in the building phase for the new Wrangler.

BMW is now building Z4's and X5's on the exact same assembly line. THAT required a major retooling and reworking for the Spartanburg facility. So secretive of the technology and process is BMW, that they discontinued factory tours there for at least the next 6 months or so.

-Paul
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    When they stop making ye olde straight-six, that will be a notable day. A new body, not so much. Do they make that engine at the Toledo plant?

EDIT: nevermind, it's made at the Kenosha plant.
    I remember reading somewhere that the new Jeep will be basically "assembled" at that plant, but the major components will be made somewhere else. For example the suspension will be made in Korea by Hyundai Corp.
  • sunkistsunkist Member Posts: 1
    When will the 2007 Wrangler be available to buy? I want one soooo bad. My local dealer is being very vague about it because he wants me to buy the 2006 (so he can move his stock). Thanks!
    If I had a dealer who wanted me to buy an OLD design, I'd take my business to a different dealer!

Go to a dealer who has YOUR interests at heart!

CK
  • aphaltcommandoaphaltcommando Member Posts: 32
    The day one shows up on the dealer lot, I'll trade my 1990 4 cyl. Wrangler in on it. Brie :shades:
  • cohighlandercohighlander Member Posts: 6
    You can order a 2007 Jeep from Jasper Jeep in Jasper, GA. That is the ONLY place I ever buy a Jeep. It is well worth the travel to get the vehicle. I saved over $4K on my '99 Wrangler purchase. I recently got an email from Ryker Lowe, the President of the firm letting me know that he would have a 2007 Wrangler 4-door Unlimited on the lot in late August for me to check out and drive. Here's the website for Jasper Jeep: http://www.jasperjeep.com/en_US/
    Not sure about the pricing but I'm sure it will be less than the Hummer 3 for sure.
  • baron293baron293 Member Posts: 9
    Right now I can get a 2006 Wrangler SE base model for 16k even with employee pricing. Or I can wait a couple months (im guessing, anyone have a solid date??) and go for an 07. The 07's look like they are going to be 5" wider and 2" longer, and come with a v6 standard. But the price goes up about 4k too according to KBB. Im torn! If I buy now I can get what I think is a great price (1.5k below invoice) and have enough left over to get some nice wheels and tires and a new stereo or a lift. But something also doesnt feel right about buying an 06 2 months before a new body style comes out and a new model year, I may be kicking myself. What to do!???
  • jerrymcshane1jerrymcshane1 Member Posts: 195
    2006 Wrangler SE base model for 16k even with employee pricing. THIS IS A NO BRAINER. Go with the 06'. Sure, the 07's will be a better Jeep, but who is to say the ADDED cost will be worth it?
    It's a no brainer if you don't mind the smaller horsepower of the 2.4L. Granted it is better than my 2.5L it replaced, but for highway driving, those 4 cyl's can get a bit taxing. Throw in hills, and it gets a lot more annoying.

-Paul
  • stevebo777stevebo777 Member Posts: 4
    I have been haggling with 36 dealerships through the internet on a 2007 Wrangler x Unlimited 4x4 base. The invoice is $21,126 and I got them down to $20,450 thats $676 below invoice without any incentives. Is that a good deal or should I keep workin them?
    Sounds like a good price ($20,450), but after reading the "road test" sounds like this new jeep is already labeled a lame duck. The testers say there is a lot of work to do in order to make it more competative and worth the "new" price, but then again it is what it is.
    I just ordered a 2007 Wrangler 4-door Sahara loaded with 4 speed auto, front air bags, dual tops (Sunrider & 3 piece hardtop), A/C, locking differential, Sirius radio, 17" wheels, towing package, and a few other minor items. Total MSRP was $30,935 but my cost was $27,735.00 from Jasper Jeep in Jasper, GA. Strongly recommend you check with them online (http://www.jasperjeep.com/en_US/). Their price is base on invoice plus $195 and the Jeep Corporation's charge per vehicle for regional advertising campaign costs. This is the second time I've bought there and have been absolutely satisfied both times.
    Just heard that the new Wrangler will be priced about $3,600 less Canadian than the outgoing one.
  • stevebo777stevebo777 Member Posts: 4
    I have another quick question. When people say the got a car below invoice does it generally mean below invoice including the shipping fee, or below invoice without the shipping fee?

Ex. Invoice 20,000. shipping few 600 so it would = 20,600 so would under invoice mean under 20,000 or under 20,600?
    My experience is that the "invoice" price includes the shipping. The shipping costs should be the same on both the MSRP & the invoice because that is an actual cost that the dealer must pay. If you see two different prices for shipping you can almost bet the the "invoice" you're look at is bogus. The cost of shipping is a set price that is a legitimate cost that the dealership should pass on to the customer.
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    Thank you, Edmunds, for the review. Perhaps, one important thing was not mentioned. This new Wrangler will be built in an all-new factory in Toledo. The quality should be really good, especially compared to the last Wrangler, which was built in a factory which was what, 60 years old?

Yeah, and one more thing. When reviewing such adventure-oriented vehicles, could you please mention if you "could sleep in it." It's a butt of many a joke on the FJ Cruiser fan site, I know. But if one goes into the wilderness in a vehicle, it would be nice to know if, in addition to the harsh highway ride, the poor driver also has to sleep on the rocks, or can stretch inside.

Please, provide some measurements, such as how tall a man can comfortably sleep inside the Unlimited Wrangler, especially since it appears the back seats can be removed.

Thank you!
  • wrawra Member Posts: 1
    This Mini Van motor is destined to be the &#147;new 4 banger&#148; sorority jeep engine . The 3.0 CDR MB Turbo V6 engine is the only one worthy of the replacing the TJ engine.
  • jerrymcshane1jerrymcshane1 Member Posts: 195
    Whne are these new units hitting the showroom floors?
  • jplymanjplyman Member Posts: 90
    To me it seems they are going after the H3 market with the new unlimited - I sure hope they decided to produce a two door unlimited - after looking over specs and pictures we decided to purchase an 06 unlimited.
  • dakotachrisdakotachris Member Posts: 2
    I keep reading about how slow this car or truck is over and over again in your and other publications. I can't believe you think a truck with 1 1/2 tonnes and a under 10 sec. to 60 is slow. Obviously you have never seen what the rest of the world drives or how they drive. This 0-60 time would still blow the pants of a lot of European cars without breaking a sweat. Furthermore, who gives a hoot about the slalom speed? I am not out there carving a racetrack with a Wrangler every day. Are you? As long as it is stable, which it should be given it has ESP, it doesn't realy matter for a vehicle like this. I agree that the breaks need some work. This is not a good performance. On the side of the interiour I think it is at least as original as the Xterra or FJ. I won't go into the quality look and feel of it, since I have not had a chance to see it for myself yet. Thanks for the opportunity to speak my mind on this page.

Dakota Chris
This discussion has been closed.