Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    From the Wall Street Journal:

"U.S. Probes Jeep Wranglers
    By TERRY KOSDROSKY

DETROIT -- U.S. safety regulators opened a preliminary investigation into the Chrysler Group's 2007 Jeep Wrangler after receiving complaints of engine stall at highway speed.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said that it has received 53 complaints and that a majority of those drivers said they experienced stalling on more than one occasion. In 12 cases, drivers complained of losing electrical power and lighting at the same time as the vehicles stalled.

No accidents or fatalities were reported, a report summary on the agency's Web site said.

Chrysler spokesman Max Gates said the auto maker is launching its own probe, searching internal records and warranty claims.

The company also will test vehicles to see if the condition involved in the complaints can be replicated. "We're really in the early stages," he said.

The 2007 Jeep Wrangler is one of the hottest sellers in Chrysler's lineup. Sales are up 85% to 54,699 on the year through the end of May, and the model was redesigned for 2007. May sales of the Wrangler more than doubled to 12,332 from the previous year.

The fact that NHTSA opened a probe into a hot-selling model isn't a primary concern, Mr. Gates said. "I think we have to get into this a little further. If there's an issue, we'll have to get it resolved as soon as possible," he said.

The Chrysler Group is the U.S. unit of DaimlerChrysler AG, which plans to sell the unit to private-equity firm Cerberus Capital Management LP.

Write to Terry Kosdrosky at terry.kosdrosky@dowjones.com "
  • giantsin06giantsin06 Member Posts: 63
    Thanks for posting that Mac24. :)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    18 minutes, 22.99 seconds.

I smell a contest brewing. ;)

2007 Jeep Wrangler: Top Drop Time

• sherribc1988sherribc1988 Member Posts: 5
    I just removed the skid plate to my 97 Wrangler to install an new exhuast system. Bolts holding it in place were welded. Not sure best way to reinstall the skid plate, tap bolt holes to screw in new bolt, or have dealer reweld it back in place? It is difficult to find the correct size tap for the bolts.
    Looking for any advice.
  • bigtoys2bigtoys2 Member Posts: 2
    I asked a dealership last week about the diesel and he said the US has no plans for 2008. It would be great but this blog is the only place I have seen anything about 08 Wranglers having the diesel option (US) for 08.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Audi and BMW are bringing diesels to the US in 08, so I'm assuming 09 model year. I'd be willing to think that is when we'll see an increase in domestic diesel offerings (or soon thereafter after gauging interest in diesel technology).

-Paul
  • jerrydockjerrydock Member Posts: 29
    A couple of things have happened recently which threw a monkey wrench into the diesel being available next year in the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.

First the announced sale of Chrysler by Mercedes. If this happened, where would the diesels come from?

Now it is rumored that Mercedes is only selling Chrysler, NOT Jeep.

Also several deisels mules have been recently spotted in Alaska.

Stay tuned for more drama.

http://blogs.edmunds.com/Straightline/!discloc=.ee98936&nopopup=1&cat=Jeep
  • giantsin06giantsin06 Member Posts: 63
    Hello. I received a recall notice today about the stalling issue . They are going to reprogram the Totally Integrated Power Module. :shades:
    Amazing how many issues turn out to be software related, which of course you can't fix yourself. :shades:

Still, at least the visit to the dealers should be quick and painless! :)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    More recall news related to the one in the Edmunds fleet:

2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara: Recalls

Nice pic with the story too:

• headtekheadtek Member Posts: 4
    Anyone know how to get the radio out of the '07 wrangler unlimited. Have the wrangler unlimited with the sirius radio (not the nav integration).
  • headtekheadtek Member Posts: 4
    Anyone know how to get the radio out the dash on the 2007 wrangler?

I have the satalite radio (without the nav system).
  • embeedueceembeeduece Member Posts: 260
    Park in a bad neighborhood.

;)
  • aball69aball69 Member Posts: 2
    :P THIS JEEP HAS A MIND OF IT'S OWN!
    THE SOFT TOP IS ALREADY TORN AND I AM UNHAPPY ABOUT THAT....BUT FROM WHAT I HAVE READ IT LOOKS LIKE A ROLL OF BLACK DUCT TAPE MAY BE IN ORDER AND OH WELL LIFE IS STILL GOOD!link title
  • britt22britt22 Member Posts: 17
    We are contemplating the purchase of an '07 Unlimited with the tow package installed, and Jeep states that it's tow capacity as outfitted will be 3,500 lbs.

What I am wondering is if anyone knows how well the Unlimited will ACTUALLY tow 3,500 lbs? Our Fleetwood Pop up weighs exactly 3,500 prior to any sleeping bags, etc. Am I just wishfully thinking that the Unlimited can indeed tow it's max plus a bit more - especially in Washington State where there are definite uphill grades???? Any insight and or recommendations would be more than appreciated.

Jeep Service Dept. says Yes - but, I am still a bit weary - but so love the Unlimited. Just have to know if it is possible and not going to be totally problamatic to the engine, etc.
    Thanks!
  • comkromcomkrom Member Posts: 6
    Pry up on the Center Stack Cover with a screwdriver from the windshield side,there are two clips there.Be careful not to loose the clips then remove the CS Cover and you will see two 7mm screws. remove the lower Center Stack cover (it also clips in place. there are two 7mm screws there also. remove the 7mm screws and pull out on the center stack bezel.I usually don't remove the bezel all the way as the heater control cables and wiring is difficult. With the bezel loose there are 4 7mm screw mounting the radio to the IP. Be careful with the clips cause if you lose them you will defenetly have a rattle.
  • hottxinhottxin Member Posts: 1
    does anyone else have a/c problems? the air in my 98 blows at 42 degrees. the 07 is 58 which in texas sucks i cant stand to ride in the new one you sweat. i have takin it to dealer 2 time already.well tommorrow will be the 3rd does anyone else have the same problem please let me know
  • jerrydockjerrydock Member Posts: 29
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=117422?imw=Y

I keep being assured that there is in fact a diesel coming; but who knows at this point. My deposit is still at the dealer.
  • panzerpanzer Member Posts: 125
    My local dealer (Denver CO area) has a few 2008 Wranglers. I guess one new thing is that in order to get the 4.10 axles, you must get a Rubicon. All automatic transmissions get a 3.73 axle, with 3.73 the optional ratio for stick shift. This will suck for Unlimited buyers. They are pretty soft with an automatic for 2007, with the 4.10. Expect them to be a little more sluggish. Probably liveable with the 2dr, but the 4.10 was just fine, with a pretty quiet highway cruise. Watch out if you are planning on putting big skins on. Looks like Jeep has given in to the greens, looking for a little more MPG, at the possible expense of driveability. Anybody driven a 2008? I was in looking at the late-run X 2007's they had in various colors with automatic and black package. Otherwise the 2008's look the same as 2007's.
  • mdreefmdreef Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I am interested in buying a 2007 or 2008 Jeep Wrangler Sahara. I test drove one last weekend and was pleasantly surprised. I followed up with research to find out that they have had stalling problems due to software glitches.

I believe it became a recall that affected several Jeep models. Have any of you experienced this problem? and do you know if the software updates performed by Jeep fixed the problem?

Are there any other issues that I should know? This would be my first Jeep. I'm looking at a hard-top 2 wheel drive. Live in Houston so no need for 4 wheel drive (It will actually be the wife's car so I want to make sure it's safe)

Thanks in advance!
  • huskycountryhuskycountry Member Posts: 13
    I have a 07 Sahara Unlimited 4dr. which I purchased the end of March. I did not receive a recall notice, was this on all makes and models on the Wrangler? I haven't had that problem yet but only have 4000 miles on it, now you got me scared. Guess maybe I should go ahead and take it back to have it checked. Thanks for any info someone can supply.
  • dctalkdctalk Member Posts: 6
    Question one: How much does the rear half of the hard top weigh on the 4-door Unlimited (not including the 2 front panels)?

Second: The one huge flaw I find in the front seats is the headrests. They force your head and neck forward into an uncomfortable position. I tried raising the headrest, but it only forced my head further toward my chest. [Yes, you can recline the seat more, but that is further than one's natural reclining position, which only makes for an unnatural driving position with either your arms too far from the wheel or your feet too close to the pedals if you push the seat forward.] The question? When I tried to lower the headrest, I couldn't budge it. What is the trick to lowering the headrest after you've raised it?

I like the new Jeep a lot, but that god-awful headrest may be a deal-killer.
  • thundergod1thundergod1 Member Posts: 3
    Alright, I will make everyone a bit jealous, or mad, or happy--

One benefit of corporate america--I can get a 1% below INVOICE plus incentives, on any Jeep of my choice. I am looking for a family recreational vehicle, so when my babies grow up we can do some offroading/camping. I plan to have this Jeep until it dies.

I am torn on the extra step to the Rubicon however. Yes I know its a "out the door, into the mountain" design. But in all real world experiences 90% of its life will be a city commuter, and I do not look forward to trodding the interstates in a fully-capable mountain climber. The ride on the tires alone would be painful....which brings me to the more "highway friendly" Sahara.

I have been looking into the Sahara, with the front sway bar disconnect, along with the Freedom Top and Nav system.

PLEASE: Anyone--can you give a real world "driving" experience with your Jeep Unlimited Sahara/Rubicon. Handling, gas mileage, love/hates...etc. Does anyone know if Jeep will come out with a supercharger for this underpower engine?

I have narrowed it down to the Jeep Wrangler, and the Toyota Tacoma 4Door (wow--that is a beautiful truck, great power, great ride.)

I have to say BRAVO for the LIFETIME POWERTRAIN WARRANTY-- that is the Icing on the cake.
    **I was also looking at the commander, but they don't make a MANUAL TRANSMISSION!!
    I could get nearly $7000 off Invoice--they are trying to give those away!
  • mdreefmdreef Member Posts: 2
    huskycountry,
    this is what I found. YOu can click on their links and see the recalls on the 2007 Wranglers.
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/results.cfm
    Thanks for the link but it didn't work, I checked on the jeep.com site and there is a recall section there and I put in my VIN # and it says there is no recalls for this vehicle so now I am really confused!!!
    Two recalls for the '07, one for the ABS and the other for the electrical issue, both copied below.

Make : JEEP Model : WRANGLER Year : 2007
    Manufacturer : DAIMLERCHRYSLER CORPORATION
    NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 06V493000 Mfr's Report Date : DEC 22, 2006
    Component: SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:ANTILOCK:CONTROL UNIT/MODULE
    Potential Number Of Units Affected : 50665
    Summary:
    ON CERTAIN VEHICLES, THE ANTILOCK BRAKE SYSTEM (ABS) CONTROL MODULE SOFTWARE MAY CAUSE THE REAR BRAKES TO LOCK UP DURING CERTAIN BRAKING CONDITIONS.
    Consequence:
    THIS COULD RESULT IN A LOSS OF VEHICLE CONTROL AND CAUSE A CRASH WITHOUT WARNING.
    Remedy:
    DEALERS WILL REPROGRAM THE ABS ELECTRONIC CONTROL UNIT. THE RECALL BEGAN ON FEBRUARY 19, 2007. OWNERS MAY CONTACT DAIMLERCHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403.
    Notes:
    DAIMLERCHRYSLER RECALL NO. F50. CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION¿S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

Make : JEEP Model : WRANGLER Year : 2007
    Manufacturer : DAIMLERCHRYSLER CORPORATION
    NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 07V291000 Mfr's Report Date : JUL 03, 2007
    Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
    Potential Number Of Units Affected : 80894
    Summary:
    ON CERTAIN VEHICLES, THE TOTALLY INTEGRATED POWER MODULE (TIPM) WAS PROGRAMMED WITH SOFTWARE THAT MAY ALLOW THE ENGINE TO STALL UNDER CERTAIN OPERATING CONDITIONS.
    Consequence:
    THIS COULD CAUSE A CRASH WITHOUT WARNING.
    Remedy:
    DEALERS WILL REPROGRAM THE TIPM. THE RECALL BEGAN ON JULY 5, 2007. OWNERS MAY CONTACT DAIMLERCHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403.
    Notes:
    DAIMLERCHRYSLER RECALL NO. G25. CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION¿S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.
    WOW, that was fast, that came through loud and clear, thanks so much, looks like I better be calling the Jeep dealer tomorrow!
  • 4rider4rider Member Posts: 96
    "Second: The one huge flaw I find in the front seats is the headrests. They force your head and neck forward into an uncomfortable position"

I have seen this problem in most new modle Jeeps, Toyotas, many GMs as well. It is really a pain not able to set up right. Auto manufacutres really need to add a tilt feature to the headrest.
  • redrock4redrock4 Member Posts: 12
    The service dept. is telling the truth. No damage should occur due to the towing load you are suggesting. Just don't be in a hurry! I would highly recommend going with a taller gear ratio in the axles (maybe 4.53). It won't be available through the factory but any certified technician can handle it. Just remember that both axles will need to be changed to the same ratio and the speedometer will need to be recalabrated. MPG will be hurt some when not towing, but if towing is your thing; the lower gearing will make the gentle 3.8L V6 feel like a small V8.
    I was not aware of this change as I drove an 08 the day before purchasing my 07 Sahara 2DR Hard Top. Both were Hard Top Automatics and drove the same. I would have never known that the 08 had the 3.73's. Not sure about how they will feel in the 4DR.
    This comment has first time Jeep owner written all over it! See you on the other side of my winch.
    I also looked at the 4DR Tacoma. Believe it or not the Wrangler is much more comfortable and rides better than the TRD equipped Taco. I purchased the Sahara Hard Top and feel like I slept in a Holiday Inn Express last night. Forget the Rubicon model if 90% of the time it is on the road. That would be like buying a Blue Tick Hound and then complaining that it barks all the time. Besides the Sahara is more capable than nearly anything else on the road. As for the Supercharger question; at this time Jeep has no plans to offer such a piece. If you don't mind voiding that lifetime warranty; you can give Avenger Superchargers a call. They have an inter cooled Supercharger kit that is just what the doctor ordered.
  • thundergod1thundergod1 Member Posts: 3
    After spec'ing the X, and the Sahara....I noticed something unusual.

The X can be equipped with Front Sway Bar Disconnect, and the Rear Locker.

But the Sahara is void of these options. Now....I would THINK that if you "stepped up" to the Sahara that the Front Sway Bar and rear locker would be available....but I cannot find these options on any '08 Build site....

So...are they considered "standard" and unlisted....or do you simply have to buy the X.

It would be stupid of Jeep to not offer these "off road" upgrades on the sahara. But either they are trying to sell more Xs, or they don't want to cut into the Rubicon market.

Any thoughts?
  • aussiejkaussiejk Member Posts: 1
    Peter hi

Have just bought an Australian delivered JK Wrangler Sport Auto and also have a TJ Wrangler took the JK out for the first time on the highway and sure enough a very intrusive whistling noise and also at times a louder wind roar sound that was intermittant?? It was actually worse than the TJ at the same highway speed ie over 80km/hour.

Did u find any satisfactory explanation and is there a fix?

Do Jeep in the USA admit that this is a design problem with this JK Sport series??

Any assistance appreciated?

Aussie JK
  • artieandgumboartieandgumbo Member Posts: 10
    I keep hearing that there will be a fix to the chirp many of us 2007 manual trans users hear (not realted to the TSB for the clutch). Any updates?
    I agree, if you are going to offer such options on the X; why wouldn't you offer the same for the Sahara? In my opinion a Sahara with a selectable rear locker and disconnecting sway bar would be the ultimate daily driver/weekend trail hero. I am sure that Jeep will offer these options eventually. Otherwise you will have too many special order X models with everything and people wanting to order paint matching fenders. Further more; if I had my choice of the Rubicon or the X optioned out with these items, I would choose the X simply because the 4 to 1 transfer case in the Rubi isn't ideal for many of the situations that I see on a regular basis such as mud and loose dirt. Come on Jeep! Let us build what we want!
  • gsyoung1960gsyoung1960 Member Posts: 52
    I test drove a 2007 Wrangler 2-door today, and I was a little disappointed in the pickup compared to my 2005 Wrangler Unlimited. The acceleration on the 2007 2-door did not seem to be as good my larger 2005 Jeep.

Anybody else have the same experience?
  • bfassettbfassett Member Posts: 17
    I have a 2007 Wrangler X with 17" tires.Whenever I brake the Jeep seems to pull to the right -hard.BUT not all the time .It appears if the wheel is off line just a little it will pull to the left.Been to the dealer twice.He lined it up.HE also checked all the brakes-caliper-slides and all seemed ok. mJust seems to be uneven brake preassure when applying brakes.I drove one on the lot set up the same and it also appeared to do it.DO I have a brake problem,dealer problem or a tire issue.Also rear end sprung a leak-not sure if cover seal or pinion gear .Any advice helpful.Braking is always an adventure -never kow which way I might go.Thanks
    The 4.0L inline six in your 05 (the best engine Jeep has ever made) makes its power at a lower rpm than the 3.8L V6. All in all the two power plants produce about the same output. The 3.8L in the 07 also needs about 800-1000 miles to operate normally. I noticed a significant difference with my two door Sahara around 650 miles. This engine will never blow you away, but after a normal "break in" period it is alot of fun to drive (in the two door anyway).
    Okay, how hard are you beating this brand new Jeep? If your diff is leaking already you must be a man of action. As for your question; I would contact another dealer and schedule an appointment to diagnose both of these problems. Since you did not mention a lift kit I will not go in to the handling quirks that can be associated. I have driven two four door 07's and three 2 doors. None of them including my 07 Sahara did anything but stop like a sports car. The control under hard braking is one of the biggest improvements that Jeep made with the new Wrangler.
    I am hearing the same chirp and just thought it was some sort of body movement .Guess not .Any updates??
    Leak on rearend was just minor- new seal all ok, but braking is another issue.A recent post also describes some "chirping" when shifting any ideas??
    Pull the head rest out - turn it around so that it angles backward - and reinstall it. The adjusting clicks won't work right but it will be more comfortable for those with giant bulging craniums at the base of their necks.
    The "chirping" issue seems to be associated with the six speed manual models. Jeep has not made an official stance on it yet. I would forget that little annoyance and find out what the heck is going on with the brakes in that Jeep. Did you contact another dealer on it yet? I know that there is a recall for the rear ABS on some models, but I don't see how that could be causing the hard directional pulling that you are describing. Good luck with it and let us know what you find out.
  • gsyoung1960gsyoung1960 Member Posts: 52
    thanks for the reply. I've been considering getting an 08, but still pretty concerned about giving up my 05 for a lesser powered 08... guess I need to give it another chance.
    Went to another dealer today and I think they actully looked at the brakes.Found a burr on the left front caliper-makes sense because of the pulling to the right.Had to order the part SO we will see what happens.This service manager knew exactly what I was talking about with the chirping noise in the 6 speed but Jeep has no Serbice bulletin on it yet.Keep an eye out.
  • printzprintz Member Posts: 70
    I've had my 08 Sahara 2 door(freedom hard top) for 6 weeks now...The roof has leaked for 6 weeks....Was at the dealer several times to try & remedy the situation........Finally, today they had a leak expert come in & take a look.....2 new roof panels were ordered, will have them within a week...Good luck with anyone with a hard-top...Love the vehicle besides the leak situation....
  • chiefusnchiefusn Member Posts: 20
    Mac; In all your infinate wisdom :) can you explain the difference between a dana 35 axle and an enhanced, or next generation Dana 35 axle? Am I to believe it's somewhere between a Dana 35 and a Dana 44?
    Happy offroadin'
    Chief
  • jeepunlimitedjeepunlimited Member Posts: 9
    I purchased my 2007 Jeep Unlimited Sahara in July. I had the same problems. My hardtop would leak whenever I washed it. I had to keep re-adjusting the top and finally it sealed correctly. I love my Sahara to death,but the top has some issues with sealing properly.
  • jeepunlimitedjeepunlimited Member Posts: 9
    I had been trying for quite a while to get my cracked running board warrantied by Chrysler. I never even stepped on it and it just cracked by the bottom seam and went right over the top. It looked horrible. I kept taking it to my local Jeep dealer and they kept re-submitting the issue to Chrysler. I finally got a "NO" on warrantying the defective item. I have heard of many other Jeeps with the plastic stock running boards cracking. Up until that point I had never driven off of the pavement. I was very upset to have spent $30,000.00 on a new Jeep and have Chrysler tell me that they won't fix a defective product.
    I recently went to a Jeep Jamboree and put stainless steel running boards on my Jeep Sahara Unlimited and had NO issues at all. You would think that Chrysler would just install the steel running boards in the first place. Between the running boards cracking, the hardtop leaking...I'm starting to wonder what I got myself into. I've owned many Jeeps in the past and I thought this one would be the perfect Jeep. I love the ride. I'm getting 20 MPG all day long and 22 MPG on the long trips. I plug my Ipod into my radio and have awesome tunes..but, Chrysler is sure slipping on their warranty issues.
This discussion has been closed.