Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon 4x4/Transfer Case

xwaxwa Member Posts: 1
edited September 2014 in GMC
Hi, I own a 2005 Colorado Crew Cab 4WD Pickup. I have a problem with the 4WD. The truck involuntary moves from 2 wheel drive to 4 wheel drive. This happens at least once or twice a week.

The truck randomly (involuntary) moves from 2 wheel drive to 4 wheel drive when:

1. Slowing down for hi-way construction areas for a period of time (front wheels kicking in and binding up).
2. Coming to a stop, then, turning at a stop sign. (front wheels binding up)
3. Pulling into a gas station or parking lot and turning left or right (front wheels binding up).

Does anyone else have this problem. I would like to visit with them. GM has written a bulletin on this issue, but has not come up with a solution at this time. Thanks.

Comments

• cruznt2cruznt2 Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

well I also have the 2005 Colorado 4 wd, same problem has occurred twice....this is the easier part....Last week after making a right hand turn and getting onto the gas again, the engine revved, car felt like out of control....loss of steering
    As a result wiped out the side of the truck, a mailbox and thank goodness no oncoming traffic as the truck went across the hiway.
    Right now the truck is in the shop getting tested....found nothing wrong mechanically....called Customer Service at GM...opened a file, and told me to take it to another diagnostic test at a certified dealer and call back.
    Scared to drive this vehicle...was lucky this time.
    Does anyone else have this problem?????
    Any help on this appreciated.
  • pbouthilpbouthil Member Posts: 1
    I also own a 2005 Crew Cab 4WD Colorado Z71. I am having a similar problem with my 4WD. Mine doesn't randomly engage the 4X4 but then I'm in 4WD I have the same front wheels binding problem when turning right or left. I have brought the vehicle in for repair and Chevy service had replaced the rear pumpkin gear box. They said that the rear end was causing the front end to bind up. I'm still having binding problems with the front end since the repair. But now I'm also having problems with the 4X4 that is won't disengage properly. I push the 2WD button and it shows that the vehicle is in 2WD but the front end is still engaged for a long period of time. I now have a case number against this vehicle at General Motors deeming it unsafe. I have had a number of cascade failures on this vehicle that prompted me to file with General Motors Corp. I would like to know the GM bulletin number or link that talks about this issue. Thanks
  • jw016jw016 Member Posts: 1
    My truck just started doing this also. I have no explanation for why. If someone finds out something I would appreciate some kind of answer for this.
  • greenjeanzgreenjeanz Member Posts: 18
    I have a 2007 Colorado 4X4,Z-71 ext.cab.4 cyl,5 speed.I just got my truck back from the dealer yesterday.Problem:stuck in 4 wheel drive,yet the light said it was 2 hi.I did not put it in 4 wheel drive either.I have less then 2200 miles on this vehicle.The dealership never heard of this happening before(YEAH RIGHT).I am pushing 56 years old,and this ain't my first rodeo.I've been buying new 4x4's for over 25 years,and never have I encountered this type of problem.I will call them tomorrow and read them my riot act.I'm pissed.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    I've had my 04 go into 4 wheel drive before, twice as I remember but the light said it was in 4 wheel drive. Could be just an adjustment was needed. I complained about mine and they looked at it. This was a couple years ago and so far no problems. I'd give them a break as I to have not heard of your problem and only a couple times has anyone had my problem. If it happens again then complain but no since pissing them off this early in the game. :sick:
  • ski4ski4 Member Posts: 1
    I had a similar problem with my '95 Jimmy. It seems that the 2wd/4wd lights are keyed by the position of the electric motor that engages the front prop shaft at the transfer case.
    This in turn sends a signal to a vaaccum switch that engages the right front axle putting the truck in 2 or 4 wheel drive.
    Although the lite may say a change has occurred, the vacuum switch may or may not have activated, and this is when you have the problem.
    If one has a transfer case that uses a coupling inside the transfer case to engage the front axle as in selectable 4wd, the electronics operating it, can cause the same problem.
    Had it occasionally on a 2002 Envoy.
    One should think that the technicians should, by now, be familiar with both problems.
    I guess I'm just pissed because they tried to make me feel like I don't know how to drive or something.I did catch the service manager try to cover up our test ride,he put the vehicle in 4 wheel low,and right before our eyes,it went back to 4 high.I said "thats interesting",he said nothing.I've got a 5 year,100K mile driveline warranty,so I shouldn't care too much.I'm just waiting for a half ton diesel pickup anyways.
    -george
    they can be a real pain getting into 4L so I'm not surprised. I have found if every so often you put it in 4L it helps keep everything working right. Kind of like the old saying, If you don't use it you will lose it.
    That makes sense.I've had my truck since Jan of this year,and I just have 2600 miles on it.It will probably take 3 years to break it in,LOL.By then,I'll have the diesel.
  • mcwsr2mcwsr2 Member Posts: 1
    I have owned a 2007 4x4 z71 colorado for 6 months now and the only promblems i have is there is a squeak coming from the drivers side around the dash area. i have checked everthing under the dash to see if anything was loose but there wasn't. Next when i put the truck into neutral and press the 4 low button and it goes into 4 low it sounds like the drive shaft is going to rip out along with a jerk in the drive shaft. It also happens going back into 2 high. Anyone experiencing the same promblem.
    it does make a lot of noise. I tow mine behind the motorhome and get the big clunk when I put it back into 2 wheeldrive on my 04 so I think you are ok.
  • jerrycrum1jerrycrum1 Member Posts: 1
    I was thinking of purchasing the colorado or canyon to pull behind my motorhome. Wondering if you had any recommendations.
    I've been very happy pulling my 04 Colorado Crewcab Z71 4 X 4. I have about 28K on the speedo and another 6 to 8 K pulling in which the miles aren't recorded since the engine is off. One thing I really like from the old days is they did away with the worthless locking steering column that never slowed the crooks down at all. Now put it in neutral, the tranny in park (auto) turn off the key, lock the doors and put the keys in my pocket. It has never missed a beat and has been very relieable. Remember the only ones that hang here are mostly people who have had problems and most customers are very happy with their purchase. :shades:
    Yesterday my transfer case went into 4-hi while driving down I-5 doing 65.No ryhme or reason for it.It sure did slow me down fast.This is the second time it's gone into 4 hi.I have 4500 miles on it.
  • supercroutonsupercrouton Member Posts: 1
    Hey I've found some TSB's listing the same symptoms when shifting into 4 lo but there is no technical description of the problem. Does anyone know the cause of this "clunk" and if so is it a serious problem? From the frequency of this problem in various other forums it sounds somewhat common.
  • evergatorevergator Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 Yukon xl 3/4 ton with 4x4. My owner's manual advises that a loud "clunk" noise is normal when going in or out of 4 lo.
  • hulltechhulltech Member Posts: 1
    I have an 07 Colorado 4x4 that has 62,000 miles on it. First the tire speed sensor went on the drivers side. The sensor and also the hub needed to be replaced. Right after that was done I was out on a lake and noticed my 4 wheel drive wasn't engaged. Tried 4 high and low and neither worked. 4 low did give the big clunk though. Took it into the shop tonight and found out part of the axle rod snapped. Not sure how, even the mechanic said "No offense, but your truck doesn't have the power to snap that shaft". He is thinking it was a defect that was already there. The piece is 1 1/4" solid steel stock. The good thing is it is a warranty repair.
    I got rid of my 07 Z 71 4x4 a year ago.It was the absolute worst vehicle I have ever owned....bar none.I'm 58 years old and I usually buy a new 4x4 every 3 or 4 years.With the colorado,1 year was enough.Brakes would lock up,battery would die about once a week,and when it rained,it had puddles inside on both driver and passenger sides.It would go into 4 hi while going down the hwy at 65mph.I traded it in on a new Wrangler JK.The chevy colorado is the epitome of junk.I feel bad for whoever owns one.
  • oldblue6oldblue6 Member Posts: 1
    CAN SOMEONE HELP! MY 06 COLORADO WENT INTO 4 HIGH ON ITS OWN AT 70 MPH ,THEN WOULD NOT GO INTO 2 WHEEL DRIVE .A FEW MINUTES LATER IT WENT INTO 4 LOW AT 30MPH ,AFTER I MADE IT HOME I DISCOVERED IT WOULD GO INTO 2 WHEEL DRIVE ONLY AFTER I OPENED THE DRIVERS DOOR ,GO FIGURE ! ANY WAY ... NOW MY DRIVERS WINDOW AND ALL DOOR LOCKS DONT WORK .I CHECKED THE FUSES AND REPLACED THE DOOR LOCK FUSE ,NOW DRIVERS WINDOW AND DOOR LOCKS WORK,BUT SERVICE 4 WHEEL DRIVE MESSAGE IS ON.THE 4 WHEEL DRIVE LIGHTS DONT LIGHT UP AT ALL,BUT I CHECKED THE FRONT WHEELS AND NOW IT IS TWO WHEEL DRIVE,FOR HOW LONG I DONT KNOW.(ANYONE EVER HEARD OF THESE PROBLEMS.
  • bigjoe06bigjoe06 Member Posts: 3
    I have been having 4x4 problems with my truck since last winter.I have had it to the dealership many times now.Been told encoder motor needed to be reprogrammed at first.second time the encoder motor had went altogether and had just had this replaced recently under warranty.Sure enough it happened again.i was at a sandy beach and had to use my 4x4 to get moving and serv 4wd light comes on in the dash and 4x4 lights go out to switch in and out.I noticed when starting the truck they flash for a second so i tried hitting the button to get back to 2wd and it worked but i have no idea what else can be causing my 4x4 to be having so many problems.dealer tried selling me a new pcm last time i was there which isnt under warranty for $950 plus tax and labor.I figured if it was my pcm going i would have other issues though and not just my 4x4.transmission and everything is good never have any problems with that and this is the only 4x4 issue i ever had since i bought the truck 2 years ago.Any help would be appreciated.dealership is useless
  • omaitaomaita Member Posts: 16
    Sell the car men, I have so many problems with this truck (I got a Colorado 4x4 2006, only 34K miles) that I'm just tired, and the worst thing is Chevy Dealer Techs don't have a clue what's going on for every issue. Why, if they have so many issues with cars just make a RECALLS or extend warranties.
    I Know Nissan already extend warranties for the new transmission CVT. Why Chevy don't ???? American Revolution???
    Believe me i know....Ive seen a few nissan Frontiers around for good prices and am seriously thinking about trading as soon as possible.I always loved Chevy trucks but i will never in my life buy another Colorado/Canyon and never suggest it to anyone.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello Bigjoe06,
    I apologize that you are experiencing a concern with your vehicle. Have you taken your vehicle to another dealership for a second opinion? How long has the concern been present? Is the concern intermittent or all the time? Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
    Hello Omaita,
    Didn’t they fix your concerns at the dealership? That last time I spoke with you, you had stated that everything was going fine after the fix. Did the concern return after the fix? Thank you,
    edited August 2010
    I have taken it to 3 dealerships so far and besides getting the run around, having to wait all day to find out what is going on,fighting to even attempt to get a rental vehicle so im not late for work which any of the dealerships have never given me.there is only 2 dealerships in the Sydney NS that can even access my 4x4.I have had the encoder motor replaced already and afterwards i had my truck in 4x4 for maybe 5-10 seconds and it went on me again.These dealerships are absolutely the worst i have ever dealt with and the Chevy Colorado is probably the worst quality vehicle i have ever purchased.besides the 4wd ive had issues with the radio,power locks and windows,lights(interior and exterior),heating and ac works when it wants to and they are impossible to keep aligned
    Hello Bigjoe06,
    Unfortunately, I can only assist customers in the U.S. However, you can talk to an agent in Canada about your situation and have them look into the concerns further. You can contact an agent in Canada at these numbers:
    1-800-263-3777 (English)
    1-800-263-7854 (French)
    1-800-263-3830 (TDD users)
    Our Customer Communication Centre hours of operation are:
    Monday to Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. (E.S.T.)
    Saturday: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (E.S.T.)
    If you have any other questions please let me know. Thank you,
  • ggarneauggarneau Member Posts: 3
    hi my truck is doing the same thing will not go into 4x4 lights on the dash will come on for like 3 seconds and go out did you find a fix for your truck?/? any help would be appricated
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Could we learn more about your situation, ggarneau? What year is your Colorado?

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    it is a 2004 with 120,000 km's and it has been nothing but trouble,i have kept all the maintence up to date
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    As you used kilometers as a unit of measure, I am gathering you are from Canada. We can look to see if there are any open recalls on your vehicle if you were to email us the last 8 digits of your VIN, but I would recommend getting in touch with GM of Canada for customer assistance if you should like to pursue a Service Request through us. They can be contacted at 800-263-3777.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    yes i am from canada an d GM canada is useless Gm as a whole does not want to help customers , I had this truck at the dealer numerous times just to hear (WELL WE DONT KNOW WHATS WRONG WITH IT) my last 6 trucks were GM THIS IS THE VERY LAST GM PRODUCT TO BE IN MY DRIVEWAY
  • rmikolajczykrmikolajczyk Member Posts: 13
    Bought Colorado new, had 4 wheel drive selector replaced twice in first 2 yrs. won't go into 4 wheel low. goes into 2 wheel and 4 wheel high easily. Try low, light flashes and then goes back to 2 wheel.
  • joshw1joshw1 Member Posts: 1
    i took it to a dealership they told me i need a new transfer case.I push the button and it grinds and jerks but the 4 wheel drive stays engaged and moves jerks and grinds real bad.Any suggestions?
    If you would like for us to check into anything further with you and your dealership, joshw1, we're available to you. Please email us at [email protected] with more information (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and a brief summary of the situation).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • iamthemilkmaniamthemilkman Member Posts: 3
    I have a 04 colorado, and I have been having problems with my 4x4 as well. When I try to engage it, the lights keep flashing and it goes back to the 2wheel position. Sometimes you can hear it engage, and it says its engaged, but it isnt??? It's been in the dealership a few times for it and they dont know anything???? (Yeah right) I ended up putting in a new transfer case last year, and now its doing it again??? Does anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this problem.
    Please let me know if you do.... Thank you so much!!!
    Hey Josh, I seen your post and my 04 colorado has been doing the same thing.
    Ive brought mine to 3 dealerships, and no-one seems to have a clue.... they all told me the same thing they told you. A new transfer case. well I put one in, and now the new one is doing the same thing that the old one and yours is doing... Go figure... If I hear anything I'll let you know. Please do the same. Thanx and good luck...
    Yeah my truck is doing the same thing. and I was told that I needed a new transfercase, so I put one in and a year later its doing the same thing. And no-one knows a thing??? Its also been at 3 different dealerships, and chevy customer service here is a joke as well... its probably a $3.00 fix and they wont admit it. So many compliants and they dont know what the problem is???
    yeah right...
    edited August 2013
    In December of 2012 I reported that I couldn't get trans to go into 4 wheel low. My fault, you have to put in neutral to select low.Therefore no problem with 4 wheel drive !
    edited October 2013
    Have a major leak in rear wiper hose. Squirts water at right side of dashboard where it meets windshield. Is there an easy way to get to hose or do I have to remove dashboard? If have to remove, what is easiest way?
  • bigdsugar1975bigdsugar1975 Member Posts: 1

Hi I have a 2005 4x4 Gmc Canyon with 199,000km and the last couple of days I've been getting this thud thud thud sound from the drivers side floor only when its in 4x4 cant hear anything when the window is down ..... Is my front diff ready to explode or maybe a bearing?

• vaalixvaalix Member Posts: 1

You guys have to be stopped and in neutral before you can put it in 4 low.
    Also, try not to ever 4x4 on the fly it wears some part down rather quickly..
    Last, these trucks, most of them, have automatic locking differentials, which means you probably don't even need to use 4x4.. hi or low... And 4x4 low is low gear... meaning for towing something under 30 km/h...
    These trucks also have transfer case issues and should of had been recalled.. Every single one of them has a clip inside that wears a hole in the csae which results in leaking fluid out and burning out the gears... Don't Think I will buy gm every again..

• benrus85benrus85 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 chevrolet colorado  when I select  4hi the light just flashes and when I select 4wd  lo the light just flashes for a little bit then goes back to 2hi 
  • Dan1983Dan1983 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2004 Canyon, on my drive home from the dealership, I put it into 4x4 hi because it was a little icy and rainy. after a few miles, I pulled into a parking lot and as I was maneuvering to park, it felt as if it had the parking break on, wheels jerked a little and soon after the check-engine light came on. WTF is wrong with it? I drove the rest of the way in 2wd and it felt just fine but the check-engine light is still on. Tomorrow morning I'll be calling my mechanic and the dealership I bought it from.