Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Solstice New Owners Reports

ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
edited April 2014 in Pontiac
Tell us what it's like to drive your new Solstice. If you have any "baby pictures" of your new ride, upload them to your CarSpace and post a link here.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

Comments

• paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    we have had ours since Dec 05....love the feel of the roadster, nice and smooth thru the curves..and it does love the curves.....no major problems.....had the pinion seal replaced under warranty, no other problems to report...18k on her...added cat back exhaust, cold air intake, pin stripes and tinted side windows..nice fit all around, room for the two of us....must get creative in packing for long weekends..but we have overcome the small trunk space.....we love this car!!

pics here:

http://www.carspace.com/pao

going throught the curves of tail of the dragon at Deals Gap NC here:

http://www5.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?myphotos?a=317574&b=10216

http://www.tailofthedragon.com
  • lhesslhess Member Posts: 379
    hope more people post. this is a car I may consider a couple of years down the road.
    we are working hard to make it happen for a second year in a row...details as we know them:

2nd North American Solstice Meet
    June 21-23, 2007
    Nashville, TN

Sheraton Music City Hotel
    Group Rate of $119 plus tax
    Reservations can be made online at: http://www.starwoodmeeting.com/StarGroupsWeb/booking/reservation?id=0611065133&k- ey=5DCA5
    Or by calling 1-888-627-7060 ----- Make sure to mention you are booking for the 2nd N.A. Solstice Meet

Registration costs for attendees will be:

Couples: $90.00
    Singles: $45.00

Event T-shirts will be $15.00 each again this year but will be ordered separate from registration.

A Web Site is being developed to allow access to all Solstice Owners interested in attending this event.

Fund-raiser will benefit Susan G. Koman Foundation again this year.

Tentative schedule for this event:

Thursday, June 21, 2007
    Registration Sign-in and Packet Pick up 2pm – 6pm
    Reception - Meet & Greet 6pm – 8pm
    Friday, June 22, 2007
    Free Activity Day – attendees will be free to visit the sites and history of Nashville. We are working on a list of “Things to Do While in Nashville” and will post here and on the web site.
    Saturday, June 23, 2007
    8am – Noon and 2pm – 6pm
    “How To” Seminars
    Vendor Booths

7pm – 9:30 pm
    Dinner and awards
  • guilianoguiliano Member Posts: 1
    HI WHAT IS CAT-BACK EXHAUST.
  • spoomspoom Member Posts: 85
    It's a shortened form of "from the CATalytic converter BACK" exhaust replacement. Changes the sound without affecting the emissions or driveability, since you are only changing the last part of the exhaust system. I believe that's the name Pontiac uses, but don't know if it's trademarked or generic.
    spoom has it right.....most major aftermarket exhaust system vendors....have this type of system available..generally they are direct fits...only need to be bolted into place..with original hangers..etc.....ours is made by magnaflow.....it changes the sound..and allows the engine to breathe a little easier...ideally you would also install shorty headers and a free flow cat as well...
    National Meet Website

http://www.nasolsticemeet.com
  • freedom3freedom3 Member Posts: 2
    The only thing that I have to say about the Solstice is that I am upset with the way that mine was put together. I have a water leak and I hear alot of wind noise in a spot that I should not be hearing it. I've tryed to get it fixed and I am told that it is normal for convertables to do this.
  • freedom3freedom3 Member Posts: 2
    I love the Pontiac line-up, but right now I am upset with the way that I am being treated!! My 07 Solstice has a water leak in the roof and alot of wind noise by my passenger door. I took it in to get it fixed and they put some sealant on the roof. It just doesn't close all the way, manufacture defect. That was the first time, now I am being told that it is normal for a convertible to have wind noise and water leaks. As a consumer I am very upset that nothing can happen to fix the issues that I'm having with my Solstice. I don't hear of the BMW or the Ford convertables having these problems....
    Mine's pretty noisy on the highway, but no worse than other unlined top convertibles I've driven. There is an optional type of top now from what I see in the option list but I bought mine off the lot and apparently it has to be built in at the factory.
    The leaking roof is obviously a defect that needs to be addressed so stay on 'em. Mine doesn't leak anywhere, even thought he fit on my body panels is worse than an old R :) ambler
    suggest you try another service department...experience is..that many dont know how to deal with this roadster....start a conversation with your service manager...also come over to the solsticeforum for more info and support as well

national solstice meet
    www.nasolsticemeet.com

there has also been some discussion that the premium headliner can be installed aftermarket...but havent been able to confirm that.....
    I'm sure the liner is like most problems-throw enough money at it.................... ;)
    When I talked to my parts guy back when I had first bought the car he looked for it and there was no part # as an accessory, only as an option. Obviously it could be ordered as a replacement part like any other body part, but I didn't pursue if it would have to be re-ordered as a complete top or whatever. I'm sure somebody will come up with an insert if there is enough interest.
    you definitely dont have to have it reordered with a complette top...it can be installed aftermarket..but a good upholstery shop or covertible top shop..not a dealer service department should install it....
    Thanks pao, do you know anyone who's actually done that? Curious what $ they ran into and if it was worth it to them i.e. would they do it again.
    all those over on the solsticeforum who have the premium liner say it does cut down on noise...and allows for better cockpit environment control..hot/cold etc.....would think its $150 or so for the liner....and guessing...two or so hours to install..so probably another $200 labor..but that is truely a guess on my part
    Thanks, I'll dig into it at my dealer's part counter.
  • jfonsecajfonseca Member Posts: 1
    I love my 08 solstice,but wish i could drive it more .I bought it 8/3107 and since has been in the shop a total of two weeks for trans problems after 300 miles the range switch went bad ,this week driving at 65 mph it seemed to come out of gear ,looking down i saw it was in drive but felt as if in netral,all lighton shifter out until i stoped and put in park.noreadings on computer and dealer can not find the problem .sure wish they could.i would like to have my car back!
  • trucktrickstrucktricks Member Posts: 45
    I assume by your description that it is an automatic. I further assume that the range switch you are referring to is the NSBU switch or its equivalent (you have a French made transmission).

So now the real question is whether the switch is inside the unit (like newer transmissions) or stuck on the side like the older designs. If it is inside, that means they had to drain your fluid to replace it. It is possible they did not get the fluid level set properly. A transmission low on fluid will feel like it is neutral.

Just a thought.
  • iamheatheretteiamheatherette Member Posts: 2
    Hi I am 16 about about to get my very first car and my options are:

1. 2008 solstice
    2. 2007-2008 bug convertible

My family is really conerned about me driving a solstice. They are also really unhappy that it is an American car. Has anyone one experienced:

-rattling
    -problems with the top (leaking, or problems with heat) I live in AZ where it gets extreamly hot and the top is a concern.

My needs for this car are for everyday use going places like school, gym, etc.

Thanks, please help!
    have a 2006 but no problems with rattling or top leaking...the VW bug convertible has reliability issues....the solstice is a rear wheel drive car and has different driving characteristics than a FWD auto which you are probably use to.... and you have to be mindful of that, not sure on the bug or not..for styling purposes..the solstice hands down...

what are the concerns about driving a solstice as compared to a VW other than its a domestic???

any convertible will be a challenge in desert heat...assume by this you mean cooling the interior...the solstice has a good A/C unit.....and there is a large solstice club in the Phoenix area.....that has made no complaints about the top...in that kind of desert heat....you probably will not have the top down at mid day temps.....

hope this helps.....
  • fishiftstickfishiftstick Member Posts: 1
    As a 16-year-old new driver, my primary concern would be for you to get a car that won't get you killed. Your first car shouldn't be a convertible, and it certainly shouldn't be a sports car like the Solstice. You will have accidents, so you want something cheap to fix. For safety, you want something with a good crash test ratings. You also want something big: all crash tests are against cars of the same size and weight, because the heavier car usually wins.

I know, you are a great driver, and nothing bad can happen to you. You may be a fantastic driver under ordinary circumstance, but like everything experience is how you learn. Let the first time you blow a tire or skid out of control not be the last.
  • iamheatheretteiamheatherette Member Posts: 2
    That is good advice. I have read that the solstice has better crash test ratings than the bug? I have read so many consumer and expert reviews to try and make the right choice, but rarely find them that helpful; I have heard about how terrible AND how great they are. So finally after getting such mixed reviews I figured my best bet would be to go to the actual owners.

I read one consumer review on Yahoo Autos of a woman whose solstice was wrapped around a tree after an accident and she walked away with only a broken nail!

I do not doubt at all what you are saying and I'm so glad for all these different opinions. :confuse:
    there have been several significant accidents involving solstice owners...and all have walked out without injury.....the crash cage around the cockpit seems to hold up very well and the crumple zones designed in the solstice seems to be well engineered....

we have even had two roll overs that Im aware of..without injury.....but the point above is well taken...at 16, and dont take this wrong.....you distance and timing estimation and some other factors are fully mature yet...

the solstice is a sports car...and RWD ...thus a certain level of driving experinence will be necessary to operate it...either automatic or manual.....
  • deepgirldeepgirl Member Posts: 3
    my first experience with a gm vehicle was an 80 something camaro my husband had when we first got together. i got rid of that hunk of junk after about 5 trips to the shop. thats just the amount of times i took it. i don't know how many times he took it. AND NOW we have got the 08 solstice, we love the car But i have had in the shop 4 times and haven't even got a tag or made our first pmt. this is the first car gm has made that i have ever wanted. and at first i was in tears and just knew we had picked a lemon. but the engine light is off finally and the car seems to be doing well. the problems were a clamp on the turbo was off, and a coolant hose was off close to the frame. then there was a strange ticking and clanking which gm says is normal. And now the car is having break problems in the morning when it is cool. i am not sure wether not i can trust the car , but am keeping fingers crossed.
  • lykourinoulykourinou Member Posts: 67
    What year is your solstice, I hear that the 06's leak alot. I have also noticed alot of 06's on the lots. people have traded these in by the barrel full. My guess is due to the leaking roofs and other problems.
    many folks traded the 06s in when the GXPs where released, others traded them in as well when the warranty was extended to 5/100 as well......remember a lot of folks bought the 06 as an impulse buy...many had never seen on in person when they ordered it and it was delivered......so many also discovered a two seat roadster wasnt really suitable for them afterall.....or simply the newest has worn off as well.....we have an 06 and love it.
    i am happy to report my 08 solstice has been on the road everday since the last trip for the coolant hose that was off and its running great. no engine lights, no more problems. it is a pleasure to drive. i am still worried about the breaks in the morning, but i just make sure to give myself a minute or 2 to warm up and its fine. i guess the bright side to the break problem would be if someone tried to steal it in the morning or at night after sitting a while, they would be shoced at the fact when they back up they won't have breaks. i think that would scare them bad enough to get out and run away!!! :)
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    do you notice this problem with your Pontiac Solstice brakes? Do you have to give it a bit of time and let your Solstice warm up for several minutes before you can take off and be assured that your brakes will grab and work?

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

yes i do, it really scared me at first, but since i know that i have to let it warm up first, i just give myself a few minutes in the morning. the first time it happened, i freaked out. i have driven alot of small cars like the nissan 200,240,280,300 and have never had this happen before, i will admit it is more fun to drive my 08 gxp. i did look on line before buying this car to see if anybody was having these kind of problems and found none, but i did read that the sky is having the same poblem. and when i ask the sales person about it of coarse they said they have not heard of anybody having problems like this with their solstice. :shades:
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    huh? As if no one had ever come up to them and asked them about this design flaw before. Oh well, I guess that if the Solstice's brakes work after waiting the few minutes, and that doesn't bother you, you're in like flint.

If it does, you're poop out of luck and stuck with a car that has this little annoying crimp in it's style. It is a nice looking roadster, today I heard someone saying that they wouldn't buy one because you can't put the top up from your seat. You have to get out and fiddle with it in person and apply it to where it has to go? Lazybutt Americans having to get up out of their Solstice to tamper the top down? Say it isn't so, Joe Namath! :D

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

take it to the dealer...take with the service manager...not your salesman.....most salesman dont care one way or another once they made the sale.....explain the problem.....discuss the issue level headed and without emotion to resolve it....your issue isnt normal......and there hasnt been anything mentioned about it over on the solsticeforum that Im aware of
  • willardwwillardw Member Posts: 1
    Well Friday I test drove a 2007 Pontiac Soltice. I loved it so much, I bought it. Was on a used Nissian dealer lot and the Wife said this was the one she seen at the main new car dealership a few weeks back. We had talked about trading off our diesel truck because of high priced fuel and not RVing much because of increasing cost. I know, I have read some reviews, not everything is perfect, but, hey I am 66 tomorrow and I can't wait forever. I feel at least 20 years younger driving it. I have had 2 Corvetts, GTO, & :) Firebird, but this is something for todays current driving challenges. Thank You Pontiac, keep up the good work, maybe not perfect, but still a dam good effort. I love this car!
    Well, its 50+ degrees here in the mornings now and the lazy brake thing has disappeared for me on my GXP. Obviously it is temperature related.

After 11,000 miles, I am happy to say the car has been flawless other than the brake thing. No trips to the dealer for anything. 29.5 mpg average and getting better every day. The top is completely dry. I am still amazed at how quiet it is, top up or down.

I gotta say, I am totally enjoying my 26 mile trips home from work through the countryside in the evenings......
  • rosey6rosey6 Member Posts: 4
    I just had the tonneau cover installed on my 2007 Solstice. When i picked it up from the dealer warranty shop, they gave no instructions about use. When we tried to use it, we found that it is not user friendly at all. Help!!! Does anybody have any experience on using one, are we doing something wrong or is it really as difficult as it seems.
  • burlappburlapp Member Posts: 2
    I have been the owner of a New Beetle convertible since 2005.
    I love the car. BUT...
    I was at the dealership every month for some problems.
    They finally, under the lemon law, exchanged it for a brand new 2008 a couple of weeks ago. So it is too soon to tell.
    But I have also been driving a Solstice Turbo for the past week ( I test drive cars for my website, burlappcars.com). And I can tell you,even though I love my "Bug".
    I fell in love with the Solstice.
    It is an amazing car to drive that will put a smile on your face every time.
    I just can't believe it.

There are some compromises like a cheaper interior. No storage etc.. And no back seats.
    On another note. I used to hate driving sticks. But GM could only get me a manual to test drive for a week. and I actually love it.
    I think the Solstice is a very rare car . Something really special with personality.

Drive them both before you buy.
    very few solstice owners have used them since it required drilling into the body to install the snaps.....when you say use of the top...do you mean installing it or using it while driving??
    Drilling holes in the body was my primary concern about installing the tonneau cover, but my husband thought that it would be useful. I was talking about installing it, after we figured it out driving with it on is fine. It very hard to put in the car, the dealer assured me that the canvas and vinyl just need to stretch but I can't really even get it to zipper closed, getting it into the car is not a one person job for sure.
    probably need to leave it in the sun for a while...let it warm up....and then try it...do you intend to leave it on for extended periods of time?
    I am not sure how much I will use it, now that I see how difficult it is to put on the car. The cover was damaged with the installation at the dealer (or was damaged when I got it since it had never been out of the box I am not sure) now I really can't use it until it is repaired. It has been a frustrating experience. Now I am waiting to see what if anything the dealer will do for us. The car and cover were purchased from another dealer out of state so who knows.
  • kenwrenchkenwrench Member Posts: 14
    My wife is crazy about the Solstice. It would have to be her daily driver. Space isn't issue, but we're wondering about how the car would do in a Michigan winter. Any opinions/experiences?
    We live in Iowa and the Solstice sat in the garage last winter and will again this winter. I did drive it in the snow a couple of times just because I got caught out and it started to snow, it held the road OK on my short (2 mile) drive home. I was a nervous wreck!!! This car is so low that if you had much snow or had to drive before the roads were plowed I think you would be in trouble.
  • marpmarp Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the same situation as Ken. Live in Michigan and my wife is crazy about the GXP. The obvious main concern is the rear wheel drive and handling in the snow/ice... Any other brave MI Solstice owners out there with opinions/experience?
    I live in Indiana and drive my GXP year-round. There are 4 or 5 days during the winter when I have to park it and take my 1980 K-10. The biggest issue is ground clearance or lack thereof. The ice/slush builds up in the center of the road from normal traffic and hammers the front valence. 3 or more inches of snow is pretty much the max it will take.
    With rain, I drop my speed about 10 MPH and watch for standing water. I do stay dry inside however, even with heavy downpours.
  • VANSDESIGNSVANSDESIGNS Member Posts: 1
    Exterior accent fender vent covers and backup light covers.

See them at:
    VAN'S DESIGNSlink title
This discussion has been closed.