Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Why does my Ford Escape Beep?

junik85junik85 Member Posts: 2
edited May 2014 in Ford
I'm new. I'm looking for answers. I've recently purchased a 2001 Ford Escape XLS.

One problem, it beeps. When it first starts up, it does this: beep,beep,beep,beep,beep,......beep,beep,beep, beep,....etc. etc. until it does that like 5 times. Some days it'll do it, and others it won't. Sometimes I can be going down the road and it'll just start beeping. I can't stand it any more.

Also, some damp mornings it doesn't want to idle. It'll cut of a couple of times before I can get it to run. AutoZone said that it was the EGR valve. The dealership hasn't ever heard of one beeping before. No warning lights come on or anything.

So, I don't know what to do. Can some one help me?

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    By any chance, do you have a rear view camera installed?

tidester, host
  • junik85junik85 Member Posts: 2
    Not to my knowledge.
  • scape03scape03 Member Posts: 1
    The beeps sound like an error code. It is likely a two part sequence, like 2 beeps, pause, 7 beeps, long pause, 2 beeps.....etc
    The error code is 27.
    Then google (or your favourite search tool) "Ford Escape" + error 27
    Good luck.
    FWIW, I had a airbag problem, that at the time, could find nothing, then a while later, the same problem came up as the first hit......($257 later.....)
  • redjamaxredjamax Member Posts: 2
    I just got a used 2001 escape and I have the same error. 5 sets of 5 long beeps with a short pause between them. I get the error code when I initialy put the car in gear, and it will sound again in 30 minute increments as long as the car is still running. Junik85: did you ever figure out what this problem was?

Thanks for any help
  • redjamaxredjamax Member Posts: 2
    effective beep code: 5 long beeps, pause, 5 long beeps, pause, 5 long beeps, pause, 5 long beeps, pause, 5 long beeps, pause: Re-occurs every thirty minutes.
  • twoplankr22twoplankr22 Member Posts: 15
    is yours seat belt buckled? it'll beep if you dont
  • sanipasssanipass Member Posts: 10
    mine does that but its just the seat belt alarm, maybe your seatbelt dash light is out and you hear it but you don't see it?
  • ken_iken_i Member Posts: 2
    Did you ever find out what was causing this beep? I am having the very same problem. Have found a lot of forums where people have problem... but have found no solutions.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    another 1 and done.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • ken_iken_i Member Posts: 2
    i guess I don't understand
  • goddribgoddrib Member Posts: 1
    The error code inidicates one of two things. It is either a burned out SRS light or there is a prblem with the SRS system that is being detected durng the initialization process. When there is an error, the chime will sound 5 times, pause and repeat. It will do this about five times and stop. If the engine is left running for 30 minutes, the sequence will repeat.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    there is an effort to indicate a problem to try to undermine the confidence that potential buyers will have about buying a particular vehicle.
    it is planted by a competitor.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    And yet another owner posts with the same problem.

How about skipping the conspiracy theories and try to address the question?
This discussion has been closed.