Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Yukon / Yukon Denali

Comments

• rbarker3rbarker3 Member Posts: 4
    nrossi: I'm assuming you are looking for Denali lease and not Denali XL? Can give you an idea for the XL - via GMAC on a discounted MSRP (Cap cost) of 44805, no downpayment, the money factor is .004860, interest rate of 11.49%, monthly pay including the monthly sales tax pay of 6% is 951.19. This is for a 36 month/45,000 mile lease and residual value of 25,400.

Using our Credit Union, cap cost is same, no down, money factor is .003450, interest rate of 8.16%, monthly pay with tax is 847.96.

My dealer did not recommend going the lease route for this unit (I have yet to lease a vehicle anyway!) so I just wrote a check for the thing instead.

Hope this is of some help.

Bob
  • willardh3willardh3 Member Posts: 18
    Has anyone got any info/news on what might be changing for the 2002 models which will be built in June or July?
    Hopefully they will have the Auto Climate nailed down on the sunroof and also the pest problem of cold feet for the passenger.
  • heatwave3heatwave3 Member Posts: 462
    For those who asked, I used the '92 K2500 Chevy Silverado Sub and will be using the '01 GMC Denali XL to tow my boat which is a Stingray with a Bravo 1 outdrive attached to the Blown big block (dyno at about 530HP).

Definitely needs the trim tabs to avoid lift off not to mention chine walk, but it sure is a great ride in warm weather and calm waters on the either the lakes of western PA or on Barnegat Bay, NJ.
  • jgmilbergjgmilberg Member Posts: 872
    I was at the dealer today, and found out that a Denali XL comes standard with an "extended" or full length roof console, unless ordered with a sun roof. The short separate ones like yours are installed by the aftermarket roof installer and come from the Yukon w/o extended console. Parts dept said they get orders for them "all the time, 10-15 sets at a time". The same thing happens when an aftermarket roof gets installed in a Yukon/XL with SLT pkg.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • mbclk430mbclk430 Member Posts: 58
    I too have an '01 DXL and none of the DXL's at the dealership where I purchased mines (Maryland) had the extended overhead console. I don't have a sunroof and i too have the two seperate heating/ac controls without the extended console containing the extra compartments. It must be something special in your living area.......
    I spoke with a Nifty Product Rep this morning and she stated that the part number for the complete set of mats for DXL(front, 2nd, 3rd, and rear cargo) was 6612-53 (same as yukon xl and burb). Can anyone who has already purchased these mats confirm or deny this info? Thanks
    It is probably an option, an when the dealer orders them for "lot" sales orders them with the extended console. Oh well, wouldn't be the first time I got wrong info from the dealer. It would seem like a big hassle if you had to get the long console and wanted an aftermarket roof, and ordered it with that intention. I am still mystified as to why they don't include the 2nd row seat air/heat controls on the factory roof equipped models.
    Are there any '01 Denali XL owners out there without a sunroof? If so, is the ceiling console extended from the mirror to the rear controls or is it two separate components? Sounds like we could use some feedback from somebody that owns one versus what the dealers are telling us.

CatchAlls: has anyone ordered these mats for a Denali XL? For those of you that purchased them for a '01 Suburban or Yukon XL, are you satisfied with them? What other brands did you compare to and what are the advantages of the CatchAll brand versus others?
    I have them in my XL. It took a little getting used to. The have a 1 inch lip on the outer edge that holds the water in, and for about 3-4 days I got my foot caught on them exiting. Do a wonderful job of protecting the original carpet. The bad part is if they fill with water your pant legs will get wet. When it is reallywet I will go to the local DIY carwash and use the big vacuum to suck out the water. I have a friend with a Sierra and he has the custom fit rubber mats with all the ribs in it so your pants stay dry. They were only avalable in black when he got them, might be available in other colors like grey, tan by now.
  • denali2000denali2000 Member Posts: 1
    I replaced my Firestone Firehawk Tires on my
    2000 GMC Yukon Denali to Michelin tires after
    6000 miles... I had complained to GM that the
    Firestone tires where unacceptable on delivery
    in August 2000 The Firestone tires gave me a soft
    ride. I find the difference terrific and handling
    improved.
  • drb2002drb2002 Member Posts: 72
    "Are there any '01 Denali XL owners out there without a sunroof?"

Why yes... Every day I drive the sucker, I wish I had a good place for my sunglasses! I will really be steamed if GM starts to put full consoles in the DXL's! My DXL was built 1/8/01, and I have yet to see any in Salt Lake City that have the extended console... Does anyone have a part# for the Gray ext console?

CatchAlls: has anyone ordered these mats for a Denali XL?

Why yes...BUT the manufacturer is supposed to drop ship them to me weeks ago. They hadn't shown up when I picked my DXL up in Idaho, so the dealer said they would ship them to me for free. I paid $235 for the "Complete" end to end set. I called Monday, and the parts girl said they should be here by today. I will let you guys know how well (or bad) they fit.

Dave
    >>Are there any '01 Denali XL owners out there without a sunroof?"

Why yes... Every day I drive the sucker, I wish I had a good place for my
    sunglasses! I will really be steamed if GM starts to put full consoles in the DXL's!<<

I am in the same boat as Dave - '01 DXL picked up one week ago from dealer - no sunroof, two control areas in roof - one up front at windshield, the other 24" back, just beyond rear of front seats for the mid-row passengers. Didn't know that some have full length with the extra compartments - don't let the wife know (it's really her vehicle) 'cuz she, too, would appreciate the sunglass and tissue holders. Can't give you the build date right now since wife has it at work. Will call my dealer and get his story.

Bob
  • andyl2andyl2 Member Posts: 84
    Nifty has decided not to make the second row floor mat to fit the Denali XL (all other mats fit). The 2nd row mat from the Yukon XL will not fit properly. Theresa Brewer is the customer service director. If enough people complain, Nifty may change their mind. Their phone number is 800-356-5666, ask for Theresa Bower. Tell her that you were told that Nifty will not be making a Catch-All for the second row of a Denali XL. If you want the mats, please call and bug her. She is on vacation until 3/12.

Thanks for your help.

In the mean time, any other mat suggestions would be appreciated in case we can&#146;t get Nifty to change their mind and make the second row mat for the Denali XL.
  • rhanson3rhanson3 Member Posts: 69
    What michelin tires did you go with, size?
  • nrossinrossi Member Posts: 47
    Can anyone tell me what the differentials are on the Denali's - front, center and rear?

Thanks
    Nick
  • jjorgensenjjorgensen Member Posts: 6
    I've had my DXL for a week and still in love, I was a little disalusioned when I tested my tire changing equipment. My spare was a Firestone Wilderness AT 265/75R16, but the tires on the ground were Michelin Cross/Terrain P265/70R17 blackwalls, 35psi, 6 plies, 2535 lbs max. My dealership said this was normal I'll take their word they have treated me right, but I think I will be a little nervous if I have to change to the Firestone with my 5000lb boat in tow. Will the 16" rim do any damage if I have to use it?
    The dealer put 40psi in the tires, but the door plate says use 30psi? Do I increase the pressure with my boat in tow? Matts, I'll call on them also, I have buckets on the second row, has anyone found Matts to fit the Buckets???
    I too have the 16" spare... is this a problem?

The Numbers...

P265/75R/16
    tire Diameter
    2*(265mm*0.75%)+(16in*2.54mm/in) = 438.14mm
    tire Circumference = Dia*Pi
    438.14mm*3.1416 = 1376.46mm

P265/70R/17
    tire Diameter
    2*(265mm*0.70%)+(17in*2.54mm/in) = 414.18mm
    tire Circumference = Dia*Pi
    414.18mm*3.1416 = 1301.19mm

Circumference Ratio
    1376.46mm/1301.19mm = 1:1.05785

At 2000RPM(tire), the spare tire will rotate 2115.7 times. Do the additional 115 rotations per minute cause damage to the differential after some period of time? I really don't know!

Is there a mechanically inclined reader out there who has factual knowledge about the "Denali's" pumpkins?

Dave

PS. The tire ALWAYS outranks the door plate psi ratings!
    Dave: Spoke with my dealer today about my 16" spare vs. the 17" four for the road. He said GM wants you to get your 17"er repaired quickly and back on the vehicle. This rationale is akin to the "donut" spares that come with some cars - not full size and recommended for short-term use while flat full-size is repaired.

Also had queried dealer about the full size vs. two mini roof consoles on DXLs with no sunroof. He can find no information from GM reps that indicates it was ever possible to get a full size. I wonder if the guy's with the long one wasn't an aftermarket add-on?

Bob
    My vehicle came delivered with 42 psi per tire. I deflated to 30 psi as tire stated and the tires looked almost flat and drove horribly. I put 35 in as the door plate suggest and the tires still looked flat so I put 42 back in all of them. I wonder if there was a mistake somewhere along the line.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    You should never follow the directions on the tire (except for the maximum cold tire limit), but always the vehicle manufacturer's directions WRT how much air to fill into the tires. It appears that 35 psi is the case here. Tires are purposely overinflated at the factory to prevent flatspots during delivery to the dealership/customer. Dealers are supposed to deflate them as part of their pre-delivery inspection, but most neglect to do so.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
    I stopped at the dealer and found out the price on the extended overhead console. He could only find the part for the truck, and it will not go all the way to the rear controls. Dealer price $318. He wouldn't cough up on the part number saying he was not allowed. The regular parts guy was on vacation this week, so I am going to call on monday. The one from the truck will fit but requires 2 holes be cut in the headliner for some tabs to attach it to the roof at the rear. A risky operation for the untrained. I have seen a couple of aftermarket ones with the flip down tv built in, but have not seen any for the Denali or Yukon/XL with homelink, Those run around $900.
    Does any one know of plans to squeeze a bigger gas tank back into the full size DX? I am coming out of a Suburban with 42 Gallons and am not sure I want to see the gas gage go down any faster than it already does.
  • swhuskyswhusky Member Posts: 2
    I live in the south and have had a tough time getting a good deal on a Yukon Denali. What is a reasonable price to pay for one without the sunroof and block heater? Any info could be emailed to me at swhusky@aol.com.
    A friend with a Yukon called GM to ask about it and GM said that there are no plans to put a larger tank in the Yukon, Tahoe, or Denali. There are aftermarket tanks that can replace the existing one. Try JC Whitney, they have a bunch listed, but am not sure if one will fit your application.
    I know a lot of people who have purchased from Dave Smith. He sell each vehicle at the X over invoice. I thought it was 250 over but whats the difference. You see his license plate frame from Seattle to Montana. The only issue is the time it takes to get the vehicle because of the backlog.
    I bought my DXL from Dave Smith.... Great experience!

It took exactly 30 minutes to pick up my DXL once I got there, and most of it was registering the On-Star system and putting on my ski rack! I can not recommend any salesman more than Robert Fink (1-800-635-8000). He gave me more personal attention than any sales person I have ever dealt with. And more importantly, he is very knowledgeable about the GM truck line.

They charge $220 + Co-op Ad fee over invoice. They only started charging the Co-op fee as of August 2000, and they fought GM for years over it... but finally lost. Both my mother and a buddy have purchased trucks up there. I know there is an option of delivery for $x?x per mile.

I live in Utah, and the free tank of gas got me 2/3 of the way home and I broke it in just before I got home.

Dave

PS. Tell Robert hi for me :)
    Wrong!

From what I have read, they are "all" asembled at the Janesville plant, and mine for one confirms this!

Dave
  • deputydog2deputydog2 Member Posts: 2
    FYI, Robert Fink is no longer with the dealership. He has been replaced by Morgan Lenox. Very friendly. Will pick you up at the airport.

Price quote for a Denali XL with center buckets is $43,492 + $69.50.

Thanks for the web site www.suv.s5.com. Everyone who is contemplating buying any vehicle should visit.
    They lost a damn good employee... well, it is still a very good dealership.

"Price quote for a Denali XL with center buckets is $43,492 + $69.50."

Don't forget the $159.00 Glaze fee :)

Dave
    Has anyone heard or know where to go to get info on what GMC might be changing for 02?
    Hopefully a bigger gas tank....
    Does any one know when they shut down production on the 01 and start on the 02?
  • wildcard1wildcard1 Member Posts: 9
    Go to www.gmclemon.com

Using a vin decoder which anyone can D/L from www.vinpower.com
    it was determined that this vehicle was asembled in Mexico.
    When looking at the 2001 Denali's wheels at the dealer lots , some appear to be chrome ( even no second sticker) and some bright polished and some not so bright. For those who have already purchased are your wheels chrome or polished and if chrome, was it an add on. Thanks
    Polished...

There are no choices in wheels when it comes to the Denali's.

Only options are 2nd row bucket seats, sunroof, and an engine block heater.... That's all.

Dave
  • cat1iacat1ia Member Posts: 16
    Just call Southern GM in TN for pricing on an 01' XL Denali this was the price with no options:
    41,499 + 414.94 (for AD fee) + 765.(Dest. Fee) = 42,673. Not a bad price. Local Taxes and title extra.
  • andyl2andyl2 Member Posts: 84
    I spoke to Matt Stanesic at Nifty today. He is going to check on getting the 2nd row mat for the Denali XL on his schedule to have the mat made. The more people that call and ask for this mat, the quicker response we will get. So, please call him and ask. 800-356-5666.

The current YXL mat will not fit properly in the 2nd row.
  • jorgensenjorgensen Member Posts: 5
    I had my dealer undercoat my new DXL. I didn't know at the time they outsoursed it. I had a friend of mine put the truck on a lift and discovered they did a very pour job underneath. My dealer is sending it back. my vehical had one skid plate covering the front part of the transmission and rear part of the motor but no skid plat covering the rear portion of the transmission. There appeared to be bolt holes for a second skid plat. I'm not a mechanic, is it a good idea to add one to cover the back of the transmission?
  • jlmflajlmfla Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me the number to Southern GM in TN. I am looking at getting a Denali or Yukon.
    Or if anyone knows of any other good dealerships with good prices. Please let me know. Thanks
  • larrys7larrys7 Member Posts: 35
    Weld Wheels makes a super nice wheel.
    Eagle Alloy has a set at half the price.
    American Racing Wheels have a few options.
    Option is to polish the EM wheels.
    I'm plan on putting Weld on mine when it arrives later mid April.
  • cat1iacat1ia Member Posts: 16
    The website address is http://www.autos-at-cost.com. At the time I called it was a 8 to 12 week wait for an order. Good luck....
  • jasonairejasonaire Member Posts: 4
    I have just ordered a DXL and while visiting multiple dealer lots have observed that there are two different wheels on Denalis sitting side by side on the lot. I asked at two different dealerships about this and was told that the vehicles are now being built and delivered with the polished wheels attached. This is not an option. It is now standard. I expect mine to come with these new wheels. They are the same wheel. It is just that the newer ones come polished instead of finished if you will.

Thanks
    I WAS ROBBED!

I guess I'll live :)
  • jasonairejasonaire Member Posts: 4
    I actually like either set, polished or finished. They are both nice wheels. If I end up getting the finished versions, it won't bother me. You get yourself a great vehicle either way.
  • swhuskyswhusky Member Posts: 2
    Ok, I got my short Denali, not the xl and no sunroof got in Birmingham, Ala. I got it for walkout price of 41,165. Only 67 miles on the Denali. I have to pay tag, tax and title in my home state. So I get to put that off for 30 days, interest saved !!! I guess it is close to Hold back time and alot of emailing and calling dealers in 9 different states did pay off. I had several dealers offering in the 42,500 range also.
  • wildcard1wildcard1 Member Posts: 9
    My quess and its only a guess is that the 2002 Danali interior will have the same controls and displays that are now in the 2002 Envoy, There will be quite a bit of improvement if I'm right.
    I disagree wildcard1. The Escalade was released shortly after the Denali, and the Caddy division wants their vehicle a step above the other GM SUV's. I can't see GMC redesigning the interior after less than a full production year on the 2001 Denali.

Production for GM ends the 3rd week of June and is idle for 2 weeks for retooling each year. I would bet my bottom dollar that you will not see any real changes in the 2002 from the 2001, except for slight design flaws that they may have at the moment.

Dave
    I was reading the owners manual on my Yukon XL and discovered that there is a passenger compartment air filter. It filters incoming air for dirt and dust. It is located on the passenger side right under the glove box. This is exactly where everyone says the problem is. If the closeout panel is missing or installed wrong it may be the cause of all the cold air problems, and would also explain why not everyone has this problem. FYI I found the information in the manual for the 2001 Yukon XL page 6-20. The Denali XL may be in a different spot in the manual, so check the index under filter-passenger compartment. Keep us posted if you find this to be the trouble spot. I checked mine and it is installed correctly, and I have no cold air problem to report. Hope it helps.
  • nrossinrossi Member Posts: 47
    Has anyone had the opportunity to drive their Denali in bad conditions like snow or slush? If so
    can you tell me how the AWD system has performed.

Thanks
    Nick
    nrossi: I own a 2001 DXL and we have had a pretty miserable winter from a snow perspective (based on NJ standards).

The DXL was uneventful, unexciting and unstoppable. Which is exactly what I was hoping for. I came from a 3/4 ton 4x4 Suburban and by comparison the DXL was everybit as sure-footed as the 4x4, if not more so.

The DXL handled snow with little fanfare. It was difficult to even spin the tires in snow when hitting the throttle hard. I know, because I tried and the DXL just accelerated through the snow and slush as if the road was nearly dry.

There was little to think about and no need to remember to activate anything since it was active all the time. No need to turn off in dry conditions or when trying to negotiate tight turns like in a normal 4x4. Also no need to wait for transfer of power to the front tires during rear slippage such as in the Auto 4X4 setup in many 4x4 vehicles today.

The Denali AWD gives you a minimum of 38% of the power to the front tires all the time and moves more power forward if the rear slips.

I couldn't be happier with the performance in snowy conditions on pavement. I have had no experience off-roading in the DXL (nor am I likely to) and I am looking forward to the towing capabilities and handling of wet boat ramp conditions this summer.
    If someone wants to sell their new polished Denali wheels with tires let me know. Bobh@rebarcpa.com