Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Jimmy ABS Sensor

runuts001runuts001 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in GMC
Does anyone know if the front wheel ABS sensor can be replaced independently (not with entire hub assembly) ? And if it can be done easily ?

thanks,

Comments

• repairdogrepairdog Member Posts: 948
    Yes it can and its got a torx bolt holding it in and then a few brackets on the wire up to a simple connector on the frame about 1.5' long from the sensor. Unless the wire is cut doubt thats it - remove and turn the wheel/hub and look in and see if the cogs are broken in the hub.
  • lizp55lizp55 Member Posts: 1
    WHY DOES THIS LIGHT STAY ON MOST OF THE TIME? ALSO HOW CAN I CHANGE THE WHEEL SENSORS? 1994 FORD ECONOLINE 5.8
  • jonesvmjonesvm Member Posts: 3
    hey, got two problems with a 2001 jimmy. Problem (1)
    : Last year about the this time, I had problems with my heater....no heat. Through you guys I found an easy fix with radiator cleaner...but oops, I don't think i flushed the radiator good enough now it sounds like i have a engine full of canaries until the engine warms up for about 20 minutes. Is there anything I can do

Problem (2) my brake warning lights stay on and the car sort of has a bounce and a slight erk in the seering wheel... whats that about?
    Ask someone who knows Fords - this is Chevy Blazer.
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    If the heater core gurggles it needs to be flushed and you can do that by buying a 3' length of 5/8 and 3/4 heater hose, cover distributer with plastic, and remove the 2 hoses at firewall and flush with a garden hose both ways till runs freely. Hang the ends over the fender and simply hold the garden hose to the heater hose while on with your hand wrapped around so not high pressure to blow the heater core.
    That is the red brake warning light I guess and probably the emergency brake pedal is not fully releasing so see if their is something hanging up above the handle. If ABS post back.
  • jmeadejmeade Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2000 gmc jimmy 4 door. air works fine, blows cold and hard. but when i go to heater the blower barely moves any air. and it is cold. any suggestions?
    Probably a clogged heater core so do as in post 6 above.
  • mswillia1mswillia1 Member Posts: 3
    It looks replaceable, but where Can I buy one. I think I pulled wire too hard while doing some axle work.
    At the dealer. Held in by 2 torx bolts and about 2 feet up theres a connector on the frame that unclips but has a plastic pin holding it to the frame so pop it out. Comes with the new hub also if thats needed.
  • diablo3diablo3 Member Posts: 2
    THE BRAKE PEDAL ON MY BLAZER PUSHES BACK TO ME WHEN I APLPY
    PRESSURE AT 10 MPH OR LOWER AND MAKES SORT OF A GROANING NOISE. NO PROBLEM AT HIGHER SPEEDS I CALLED GM AND THEY TOLD ME IT'S PROBALLY A WHEEL SPEED SENSOR TO HAVE THEM CHECKED AND CLEANED OFF AND THAT WILL SOLVE THE PROBLEM. I WENT TO A DEALERSHIP AND THEY TELL ME IT'S THE ABS AND THEY WILL HAVE TO REPLACE IT. I HAVE AN APPOINTMENT FRIDAY TO HAVE THEM CHECK IT. IS THE DEALER TRYING TO RIP ME OFF ASSUMING THAT IT'S THE ABS WITHOUT CHECKING IT YET. I'M SURE A WHELL SPEED SENSOR CLEANING OR REPLACEMENT IS A LOT CHEAPER THAN REPLACING THE ABS SYSTEM. THANKS
    Have to read the codes out with a tech 2 scanner first to confirm. If in salt use areas the rust builds up and raises the sensor out of spec so have to unbolt the sensor and carefully sand the mating surface and not get any crap in the hole and in the hub, if thats the problem. Check the wires from the sensors up to the connector on the frame for cuts first on the fronts. Rear sensor is on the trans 2wd and transfer 4wd. Hub bearings (one piece asembly)going may also cause this but you would hear it also normally.
  • painheadpainhead Member Posts: 4
    took my jimmy to auto zone had it put on code tester came up with po452 code pressure low then another code po453 pressure high... any idea's?
    Specifically for those 2 codes no but heres the circuit descrition form the odb-codes site:

This indicates that a part of the EVAP control system is no longer fuctioning correctly. The EVAP system consists of many parts, including (but not limited to) the gas cap, fuel lines, carbon canister, purge valve, and other hoses. The (EVAP) emission control system prevents the escape of fuel vapors from a vehicle's fuel system. Fuel vapors are routed by hoses to a charcoal canister for storage. Later, when the engine is running a purge control valve opens allowing intake vacuum to siphon the fuel vapors into the engine.
    Symptoms: You likely won't notice any drivability problems.
    Causes: A code P0440 could mean one or more of the following has happened:
    The gas cap is not installed or working properly
    The purge solenoid has failed
    The canister is plugged and not working properly
  • diablo3diablo3 Member Posts: 2
    ONCE I TOLD THE DEALER THAT IT WAS SPEED SENSOR AND NOT THE ENTIRE ABS SYSTEM, HE THOUGHT I KNEW ABOUT SUV'S AND REPLACED MY LEFT FRONT SPEED SENSOR. EVERYTHING IS FINE NOW THANKS TO YOU GUYS. HE DIDN'T TRY A SECOND TIME TO TELL ME IT WAS MY WHOLE ABS SYSTEM.
    THANKS GUYS !!!!!
  • painheadpainhead Member Posts: 4
    it was the canister it was pluged big time so i put a new one on it and now no problems at all....thanks a million
  • rkoppenrkoppen Member Posts: 1
    I am curious, do you know how the shop figured which sensor did did nor work?

Have the same problem with my 99 yukon,

Looking forward to your response

Reinhard
  • bigdaddy81bigdaddy81 Member Posts: 4
    i have a 98 envoy. about a month ago my drivers side front hub went out. went to autozone and purchased a new one installed it perfectly. now about a month after the abs light came one and stays on. took it in they told me it was the speed sensor and the wiring harness as well as i need to replace with updated hub. what of this sound right?. hubs new and it appears to have speed sensor permantly atteached. on the oem hub the sensor was removeable. also what can i expect when it comes to replacing my intake manifold gasket on this rig
    You must of gotten the El cheapo deluxe hub - if under $150-200 (2wd more) you did. The Timken are good and the Advance BCA hubs. Return it as trash and get the good one (looked up the cheapo and had a 3 month warranty)- most fail within a year.
  • bigdaddy81bigdaddy81 Member Posts: 4
    we paid 152 or 182 for the front hub on a four wheel drive. i didn't go with him to get it he left and brought it back. normally he doesn't buy the cheapest available, is there anywhere on the hub for me to be able to tell what brand it was i am unsure if we still have the reciept.
    No clue but the warranty is in AutoZ computer so call them and ask.
  • shannongshannong Member Posts: 1
    On a recent trip my Jimmy started to miss really badly. Then I lost my brakes along with it. I thought that it may be losing vacuum but I cannot find any leaks anywhere. I have vacuum going to the power booster but still the brakes are hard to push and then slowly travels to the floor without being able to stop. The engine is still running erratically but seems to settle down a bit when I unplug the vacuum line going to the power booster. The vehicle will also run better when the A/C is turned off. All of the symptoms points towards a short in the wiring, vacuum leaks, ETC. Although I cannot find any problems. There are no trouble codes either. Does anyone have any ideas? I am lost.
  • jimmy98jimmy98 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, Quick question about ABS light. Have a 98 Jimmy 4wd. i had new wheel hub installed a month ago, not to mention countless other parts/repairs. Well now my ABS light is on/stays on. Occasionaly, it feels as if brakes are "locking up" "grabbing" then when abs light comes on, the brakes free up. any suggestions would greatly be appreciated. thanks
  • gdellgdell Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2001 Blazer and I am having brakes problems (perhaps ABS) on the contrary with your problem, the brake pedal goes to the floor makes a dull " crank" noise like a spring getting loose and then the brakes resume the resistance. The first time it happened they have change the master cylinder and guess what, that was not the problem. This time I took to the dealer and they same that there was nothing wrong with the problem and I have tosee the problem to fix it. They also told me that it could be the sensors but not 100% sure and there is no way to know which sensor is misreading to activate the ABS at low speed when applying brakes. They told me that the sensors are very expensive 600-800 dollars each and there are also other parts involved. I have file a complaint with the NHTSA since I believe this is a manufacturing problem. We need to have everyone with a 2001 Blazer ABS problem to file a complaint https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov
    If anyone has had or still have the problem please let me know what else to do here.
  • rickd00rickd00 Member Posts: 5
    i have a 2000 gmc jimmy 2dr 4x4, i have a problem with my abs and cant quite get it figured out... maybe you guys can help, here goes. abs light on and goes off all the time. which leads me to an intermitant problem. i put it on the computer and the code that i got said it was a power failier no senors are bad the module and all are working fine... it's a power surge or power failier that is causeing the problem.. but i have no clue where to even begin to trace this problem i have checked my battery teminals and got them all cleaned. i checked all connections from the puse panel under the hood going to the abs module on the master cylinder.. where else should i look do you have a wiring diagram for the abs that you can send me to trace the wires??
  • rickd00rickd00 Member Posts: 5
    hey i found out something that everyone might find helpfull... my turn signal switch was triggering the flasher relay all the time so it sounded like my turn signals were on even when they were'nt. after some research i took out my multi funtion switch there is a little plate mounted on it with 4 torx srews holding it on.. once you take that off you will see all the contacts in the for the switch... all you have to do is take some dielectric grease and get it on all the contacts you can ... it wont hurt to put extra grease on there... put it all back together and put it back on... it might take a day or 2 for the grease to work all through the switch. cant say it will work for everone but it worked for me and a few people i know. it saves a ton of money if you dont mind taking the time to put grease in it.
  • iheart4wheeldriheart4wheeldr Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 jimmy in which the ABS light turned on and has stayed on as of a few days ago, with no apparent difficulty braking...does your post mean that the turn signal noise that occurs randomly and at different speeds regardless of whether i'm turning (began about 6 months ago, too cheap to have fixed) could be related to the abs light being on and may actually be something simple and electrical to fix (rather than a new set of brakes)?
  • ron_susiron_susi Member Posts: 2
    2001 GMC Jimmy 4x4 - ABS comes on all the time, even at very low speeds. What could be causing this? Have taken wheels off and pads have lots of life. Noticed however than wheel doesn't spin really freely, does spin but with some friction. I don't know if this has anything to do with it. By the way, the ABS light is not on. It has come on for a few minutes in the past but then turned off again. I pretty sure the wheel bearing needs replacing on the front passenger side....could that have something to do with it? :confuse:
  • rbonham44rbonham44 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2000 gmc jimmyand when i push on my brake pedal at speeds under 15 mph it wants to push back and at times it seems i have to really put some pressure on it to stop all the way. if the abs light comes on i have no problem at all stopping. kinda stumped. i heard i can take the fuse out and it wouldnt do that anymore. if so will it effect my brakes in anyway. thank you for your time. Richard :confuse:
  • ron_susiron_susi Member Posts: 2
    I am having the same problem and so far what I've been able to find out is that's it's probably a faulty speed sensor. Also been told it could be a bad wire connection at the wheel or a wheel bearing. For now I went ahead and pulled the fuse (it's under the hood) and that stopped the ABS from kicking in....it DOES NOT affect the braking .... the only thing you'll notice is that your ABS and parking brake warning lights on the consol come on. hope that helps in the mean time. Please post if you find the real solution...thanks Susi :)
  • crazyramb0crazyramb0 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 96 Blazer 4x4, everytime i push down on the brake pedal, i have to apply a ridiculous amount of pressure and they still won't work until 3 seconds goes by.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    If your brakes feel spongy when you step on the brake pedal then you may have air in your brake lines.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • mcg24mcg24 Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 2001 GMC JIMMY 4X4 THE BRAKE LIGHT AND THE ABS LIGHT COMES ON SOMETIMES. WHEN THE LIGHTS ARE ON I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH THE BRAKES AT ALL THE VEHICLE STOPS LIKE NORMAL. I CHECKED THE FLUID IT FULL. I'M THINKING IT MAY BE A ABS SENSOR GOING OUT OR I KNOW IN SOME VEHICLE THESE LIGHT COMES ON WHEN THE SPEED SENSOR GOES OUT. CAN THIS BE CHECKED WITH THE LIGHTS NOT BEING ON ALL THE TIME.
  • bruce297wbruce297w Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Jimmy and the Flasher is Constantly Sounding. With your Problem did it Stop Sounding when you put on the Brakes? Turn Signals and Hazards Work Fine, Noise Driving me Nuts.
  • lveltkamplveltkamp Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Jimmy 4x4 also... The ABS light went on and off when ever it wanted to...be very careful when the light is on my brakes just lock up when pushed really hard. The ABS part did not work when the light was on. I crashed the Jimmy two weeks ago. I hit ice and when I tried to use the brakes they just locked up they did not pulse and make that funny noise they make when the abs kicks in.
  • rybeck3rybeck3 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem and replaced the abs unit that I picked from the junk yard. This did help but I still get that groaning noice. I tried to clean the sensor myself but it was pretty rusted. I think I will try this next. Thanks
  • salvadorjimmysalvadorjimmy Member Posts: 1
    HAVE A 2001 GMC JIMMY 4X4 THE BRAKE LIGHT AND THE ABS LIGHT COMES ON SOMETIMES. WHEN THE LIGHTS ARE ON I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH THE BRAKES AT ALL THE VEHICLE STOPS LIKE NORMAL. I CHECKED THE FLUID IT FULL. I'M THINKING IT MAY BE A ABS SENSOR GOING OUT OR I KNOW IN SOME VEHICLE THESE LIGHT COMES ON WHEN THE SPEED SENSOR GOES OUT. CAN THIS BE CHECKED WITH THE LIGHTS NOT BEING ON ALL THE TIME.
  • harvmharvm Member Posts: 3
    My 2001 Tahoe LE has brake and ABS dash lights on. Gotta get the thing state (TX) inspected asap. Also, radio speakers quit speaking. Are the two problems, ABS and speakers, related?
  • rsher0001rsher0001 Member Posts: 2
    Had the same issue sort of, found a service bulletin from Chevy ... there is a plate on the wheel hub between the sensor and the hub, rust builds up under the plate and raises the sensor too high .... I disassembled, removed the sensor, scraped out the rust (becareful to not get loose rust in the hub) and the problem disappeared...
This discussion has been closed.