Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Am Audio Questions

pizza69erpizza69er Member Posts: 1
edited July 2014 in Pontiac
I wanted to know if anyone knows which pioneer cd decks are compatible with an '04 Grand Am. BestBuy's website says none in it's stores will fit yet Circuit City has one that is suppose to. It's a Pioneer AVH-P5700DVD. BestBuy has it but says it's not compatible. I am just browsing right now though and plan on changing it probably in a few months to a year. I like the AVH-P6800DVD model, but I am not sure if that will work for my car. If anyone can help me out please do. I really appreciate any help I can get to make a decision on what to buy. Thank you.

Comments

• burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    Visit the Crutchfield website at www.crutchfield.com and read their recommendations for this car. There's an issue with loosing some chime functions if the factory radio is removed. If I'm not mistaken a 1.5 DIN size receiver fits best, but does need a trim plate. I'm assuming you don't have the factory Monsoon system.
  • drummajordrummajor Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I ran into a puddle of water and it flooded the car out. Now my car idles all the time and when it is in gear I don't have to push the gas, it automatically accellarates. Anyone have any clue of the problem?
  • sunnyladysunnylady Member Posts: 11
    Recently I had a pressure hose replaced,which the battery needed to be disconnected. Because of the power loss the theft lock has locked the radio.I know how to reset it,but the display screen hasn't worked properly since the day I bought the car. Which means it only shows some of the time half of the numbers. What I want to know is there a diagram for this type of radio? I want to find out if the people at the dealership who told me I need to replace the radio itself, as the guy at the car radio place told me it's just a bulb and wants $110.00 to replace it. Are pulling my chain. :confuse:
    I don't think that changing a bulb will fix your problem, since it sounds like your LCD display has gone out. The dealer won't try to repair the unit, only replace it. Check with the sound place to see if they are really talking about a bulb, or if they are quoting a price to replace the LCD display. Also, these factory units are on Ebay all the time for real cheap, but you have to make sure they have the security code included. I used to have one that came out of my 99, but I think I threw it away.
  • sarguysarguy Member Posts: 1
    I'm interested in upgrading the factory deck with an HD one. I am not interested in getting a deck that I have to buy a separate HD tuner for. As such, it seems the JVC KD-HDR1 is the only one that matches the criteria. The only problem is that I can't find anywhere if this will fit the '00 Grand AM.
    Is there anywhere I can find out if this will fit the car? Any info is appreciated. Thanks all.
    That's a 1 DIN receiver, which according to Crutchfield will fit but will protrude from the dash 1" when installed. Also, since the factory cutout is about 1.5 DIN a filler panel is required, which they provide for free. Not the best solution, but that's what is takes I guess. Go over to crutchfield.com and you can get all the info.
  • atrejoatrejo Member Posts: 1
    i receently purchased a 1999 grand am se and i noticed that the radio is not workin. some how the previous owner had locked it and could not unlock it. So i was wondering if any of you know how to unlock the radio or know about where to look for information about this???
  • jntjnt Member Posts: 316
    The Aftermarket JVC HDRadio will fit the 1.5 DIN Pontiac hole. You can buy the vehicle adapter harness to go from GM connector to the new radio from either Circuit City or other audio shop. Also Radio Shack has antenna adapter as well since GM old antenna connector is different from the JATSO antenna connector most Aftermarker radios use.

jt
  • jntjnt Member Posts: 316
    Look up the User manual and enter "000" to see if that works. Sometimes, people uses the default value of "000". Other tha that, you will have to pay dealer to unlock it. It probably cost you something.

jt
  • dmartin10dmartin10 Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2003 Grand Am GT. For the past few months, my factory radio has been doing some weird stuff. It won't come on when I turn on my car, it will automatically go into fast forward mode when playing a CD, the time doesn't keep and when playing the radio, it will switch stations all by itself. Then, I hear the beeps that you get when changing the time when I'm not even touching the radio.

To make matters worse, if my car sits for more than 12-14 hours, the battery is drained. I've had the battery changed 3 times this year thinking it was the battery, but now I believe that the radio comes on when the car is off. Weird, but true. So, today, I had the fuse to the radio dissconnected. I'm going to let it sit for a day, then try to start it. If it starts, then I know it was that damn radio all along. This is annoying!! This is a new car and it scares me. Please send a message if something similar has happened to you and what u did about it. The dealers can't even figure this one out!!!
  • jenniboojenniboo Member Posts: 4
    i was just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to get my display on my stereo to work...i cant see the time or volume on the display...thanks :shades:
  • marknkelliemarknkellie Member Posts: 4
    I bought my car this past Tuesday, tonight I was looking around under the dash to see where I can route my wires for my Amplifier & sub sound system to the trunk. I then noticed that on the underside of my dash, between the steering column & the center console looks to a 3.5mm jack input (like a set of headphones) with a red light on it. The light does not flash or anything like the one on my factory Monsson sound system... anyone know what this is? I thought maybe an Aux input jack for an external MP3 player or something maybe...

Thanks for any input :D
    Ok, I traced the wires from the 'input jack' to a black box that has an inline spade fuse between the black box & the 'input jack' Maybe the control box for my Keyless entry? It has a bunch of different connectors coming out of it like the kind that snap into the back of a stereo... any ideas?
    I just installed a set of Subs & Alline amp in my 02 Grand Am. Is there any way to By-Pass the factory Monsoon amplifier... When I crank up the volume the 6*9 speakers in the rear deck sound absolutely awful and causes the deck to vibrate beyond control. I want to wire the 6*9's directly to my Alpine head unit but dont want to splice into the existing wires coming from the Head unit into the Monsoon amp if I can keep from it. This would be a problem if the amp has a variable bass control on it... but since everything is internal it doesnt serve me any good... any suggestions or ideas?

or am I just SOL and gonna have to splice into the wiring harness before it goes into the Monsoon amp & then just disconnect & remove the amp altogether? :confuse:
  • flakoflako Member Posts: 4
    Have the basic radio and cd player. all lights on radio work fine, except the clock is not lit. I would like to fix this if I can. thanks
  • flakoflako Member Posts: 4
  • alphawlf73alphawlf73 Member Posts: 2
  • alphawlf73alphawlf73 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2000 pontiac and radio is locked,i need codes..i did first steps and got 2 sets of 3 codes and need final set to unlock it..heres my numbers 892 900 if u can help me email me at [email protected] thanks
  • sunnyladysunnylady Member Posts: 11
    ;) I did buy a stock radio on Ebay.However,I am still having problems with the display.It seems the only way to get it to display is to smack the dash.The person who I bought it from said for me to return it and that the problem would be replaced.However, I had severely injured my left knee,which I had surgery and was in the hospital for two months.Needless to say,I didn't return it. The only person who is really annoyed by this is my overworked and overstressed husband.
  • bburkett891bburkett891 Member Posts: 1
    My brother blew the 6x9's in his monsoon system. I bought him new pioneer 3 way 6x9's and installed them for him for christmas. When i was done and turned the system on, there was a lot of distortion in only the rear 6x9's. I think that this is because of the monsoon system. Is there a way that I can make this distortion stop?
  • fharrisonfharrison Member Posts: 1
    i need help unlocking a monsoon radio. bought radio of intenet to replace defective original stock radio. I installed radio only to find out it was locked. I found a couple of websites that said the first step was to hold down presets 2&3 to get the first three codes but every time i do this nothing happens. Is there anyting else i could try? Any help would be greatly appreciated
  • anitaaanitaa Member Posts: 6
    check out allexperts.com how do u reset the security?
    i have a 99 gran am and the security light come on and it won't start just bought this car 2 weeks ago
    thanks
  • jalum64jalum64 Member Posts: 1
    This may be due to your factory car amp not being set from 4ohms to 2ohms. I had the same problem when I installed my Pioneer 6x9s after I put in my Pioneer head unit. That should fix your problem.
  • haroldcrammharoldcramm Member Posts: 5
    everything works as for lights ,radio works not the clock lights. could tghis be a bulb.
  • lbjohn363lbjohn363 Member Posts: 2
    My radio display light went out, i have been searching online for a way to replace it, can anyone help. The radio still works great just the display is out.
  • lbjohn363lbjohn363 Member Posts: 2
    Hey i am having the same problem did you ever get an answer?
  • Danny69Danny69 Member Posts: 4
    Hello, i have a grand am gt sedan and i recently replaced the deck to a aftermaket alpine deck. its been a couple of months and now everytime i turn my car on the deck doesnt seem to turn on? i have to start my car up a couple of times before my deck seems to work and i was hoping someone could help me with this problem before i bring it into a audio shop and get ripped off. thanks.
  • hartt1hartt1 Member Posts: 3
    i was wondering what a better replacement for the stock monsoon amp that i have in my 2001 grand am gt would be.
  • iluvmykidsiluvmykids Member Posts: 1
    i have a 99 grand am and the radio works fine ,but the cd player wont work. it comes up e20,and or e23.Does anyone have any idea what these are any feed back would be great. thanks so much
  • mrgilmoremrgilmore Member Posts: 1
    how do i replace led bulb in 2005 grand am, no sure how to get to it
  • oregonducksoregonducks Member Posts: 1
    Hi, please help!!
    I replaced my battery and now the clock, radio and chimes will not work. They were all working great before they installed the battery. Radio dash lights up except for the clock, no tunes or chimes all fuses have been checked any ideas?
  • des02des02 Member Posts: 1
    im having the same problem...did you get an answer???
This discussion has been closed.