Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Rodeo Transmission Questions

Comments

• zruhlenzruhlen Member Posts: 5
    You need to clean your range sensor. Located on the drivers side of the transmission. This gets gunked up and then you'll have the exact symptoms you describe. Do a search on the range sensor and you'll find a pretty good description of how to clean and regrease it.
  • zruhlenzruhlen Member Posts: 5
    Did you unbolt the torque converter? there is an access plate on the bell housing to remove the bolts that hold the torque converter to the flywheel
  • ntclntcl Member Posts: 5
    HI, I have a 1999 rodeo (automatic) and some times the transmission will actually drop in or out of gears depending if slowing down or speeding up,and I have bypassed this when it occurs by either removing power from the battery and let it sit for a minute or so or if i can get where i am going then just turning off will do it . It does not do this all the time just every now and then (comes and goes) but when it starts it is "Very noticeable" any suggestions. Thanks
  • cheryl31cheryl31 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2010
    how do i find out what transmission is in my 1992 isuzu rodeo 3.1Lv6 ?need to replace clutch dont know witch kit to get?cover type Rai w/B-W Trans.;9 1/8x14Tx1...or...covertype diaphragm;w/MUA trans.
  • isuzuownerisuzuowner Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2010
    Shift indicator was not displaying same gear as that on the floorboard.
    Ex: Dash may have shown N while it was in D. Took car to transmission shop and transmission was rebuilt. After picking up vehicle from shop the D light no longer lights up on dash. The vehicle from the shop I was given to drive ironically also did not show the D lighting up on dash. When I took Rodeo to be fixed the D did display. My question...I have been reading that a flashing D often indicates a transmission problem. Is it possible that the shop has somehow disconnected this light so that it does not indicate there is still a transmission issue? It seems to drive okay but it seems strange that both my car and theirs do not show the D.
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    Incorrect display such as this could be the transmission mode switch. Many times when the switch needs cleaning or replacing, the display will be incorrect and many times you will experience hard shifting. My Trooper does this occasionally. Usually I am able to cycle the shifter full cycle several time while stopped. Then turn the ignition off and back on. Most of the time this corrects the problem.

Note that the mode switch position is very important. If it is removed to be replaced or cleaned, it must be put back in the same position or it may not work correctly.

Perhaps the shop did not reconnec the mode switch? Perhaps the mode switch was the original issue and no rebuild was needed?

Similar discussion

http://www.hondacarforum.com/honda-2/12470-1999-rodeo-passport-strange-transmiss- ion-issue.html

Detailed info on cleaning with pictures http://isuzufaq.ibctech.ca/range.pdf
  • bradb670bradb670 Member Posts: 1
    recently my 2000 rodeo has been experiencing an intermittent problem with the automatic transmission, it started with the indicator lights in the dash being incorrect (i.e. showing that the vehicle was in n when in drive or flashing sometimes) at that time there was no marked difference in the transmission operation. Now within the last two weeks it has started this condition. When driving off from a dead stop the transmission bucks or jerks, almost exactly the same as if it were a manual transmission and it was in 3rd gear instead of first. I found that if I let off the gas and then ease back into the acceleration it will react fine and for the rest of the trip it will be fine sometimes only happening once more in a 1-2 hr trip. I've read several posts and think there are some ideas to try I just wondered if anyone had the exact problem I've explained. One last thing that when idling in warm/operating temeratures the tach only reads around 400-500 rpm, is that normal or could that be some of the problem as well? Could the rpm problem be due to dirty fuel injector?
    Well there is a module mounted on the side of the transmission (looks more like a black box) with a wire harness attached . This mod. tells the trans. what to do,but the grease inside brakes down and so the contacts are not able to make a solid connection .Sorry that I am not able to recall the name of the mod. but it is on the right side(driver) of trans.You will need to remove and take a part to clean and reinstall new grease and this will fix the jerky take offs and the indicator lights.
    I have a 99 rodeo and this was a problem, but for a quick fix is to reset the computer by taking the positive cable off for a minute then put it back and this will reset and drive normal.
  • liteofgodliteofgod Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2010
    I buy a 2002 Isuzu Rodeo 4cyls automatic in Spring Lake Nc, few months ago.This vehicle has a whinning noise coming from the transmition,and its incredible that at this point i dont find NOBODY that said to me what's is cosing that noise,i just whant to know if may be the timing belt had to be replace or if is a Bully.I hope some one help cause is the only vehicle in my home to transport my son to school and church.
    dhliteofgod20082yahoo.com God bless
  • thebigcheesythebigcheesy Member Posts: 1
    Hey All,
    I'm, of course, new here and I hate for my first post to be asking for help. But I really do need it, and will be very appreciateve for any suggestions/help. Sorry for the long post, but if I'm asking for help, I try to be as detailed as possible.

Anyways, I have a 2001 Rodeo S 4x2 5 speed. Short of a couple alternators, an AC compressor and that DA%! gas gauge/sender, haven't had much trouble. Until now.

Today as I was getting off the interstate I was gear braking (my front pads are just about gone and Im trying to save the rotors until I get time this week to change them) and suddenly the clutch pedal dropped to the floor. it wasn't a gentle, floating drop either, it felt like something snapped and down it went.

I pulled to the shoulder off the exit and took a look and there was nothing leaking, nor was the master cylinder low on fluid. The pedal, itself isn't broken either. Everything seemed normal, except for the clutch being stuck at the engaged position. Once I limped to my destination right around the corner (a 5-speed with no clutch, stuck engaged is quite an interesting drive. Thank God I knew about the old "rev till it pops in gear" trick), I did some further checking.

I need to advise that I had a similar clutch problem about a year ago, but the fluid was leaking out of the slave cylinder boot slowly. I "fixed" it by zip tying the boot to seal it back on the metal part, added fluid, bled it and all has been fine. Until now. That being said, I would totally jackslap someone who drives this way for a year, without a true fix, but honestly, it's been perfect and I forgot about it.

Once I was under the transmission, I could see where fluid has been leaking out over the past year, but it doesn't seem to be leaking much, as the Master Cylinder is full. Anyways, I bled it, hoping some air somehow got in the system, but of course this did nothing. I can see the slave cylinder moving when the clutch is pressed, but it doesn't look like it's moving very far.
    My question is, do you think it's the slave cylinder? I'm hoping it is, and not a clutch or pressure plate, as that would almost be prohibitively expensive. I don't even mind if it's the master cylinder as that's only like $60. I'm thinking it is the slave cylinder, seeing as I had trouble with it previously.

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you!
  • anjeletteanjelette Member Posts: 2
    Ok I am new here and I have been reading the post's on the tranny problems and I have LOT'S to add. I have a 97 Rodeo 2wd. I liked it at first but now i am completely frustrated. I was losing 3rd gear and took it to a transmission repair shop that just made my problem worse. They were going to look at it and call me with what it was doing. Needless to say they took apart tranny (w/out permission) and then kept parts and put the un-assembled tranny in the back. Anyway.. I bought another tranny and put it in. Well then it would only go into first gear if i manually shifted it there. If I am in "D" it starts off in 3rd as a fail safe. So like most i assumed it was a electrical prob and replaced the shift sensor, well that didn't fix it. Then the shift silinoid. That didn't fix the problem either. I dont get it I am going to look at the other shift sensor that looks like a black box to check the grease when i get home but really need suggestions. I can manually shift it but not in Drive plz help.
  • newtoisuzunewtoisuzu Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 Isuzu Rodeo 4x4 and today for the first time a saw a gren light come on that shows all 4 wheels, the front ones directed to one side. As I have no owners manual, I have no idea what this means. Can anyone educate me in this mysterious light for me? (which is probably a common sense one for most of you). I just never saw one. Thanks.
  • liteofgodliteofgod Member Posts: 2
    My isuzu rodeo 2002 have a noise in the front prat of the transmition, the lite of engine and transmition go on today and looks that is pushing to run in the speed that this usv supose its causing me a lot of stress cause im a single mom and i have to bring my son to school. please help
  • jakalopejakalope Member Posts: 4
    This is called a Park/Nuetral Safety switch!(Small black box)with wire harness on drivers side of trans.
  • jakalopejakalope Member Posts: 4
    BradP #670 This is called a Park/Nuetral Safety switch!(Small black box)with wire harness on drivers side of trans.
  • bluepstubluepstu Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Rodeo with 81,000 miles and an automatic transmission. Just recently I have had problems with the thumb switch on the gear shift. Today I couldn't hardly push it in to get the car out of park. I had to fidget with it by trying to push it about 50 times while wiggling the gear shift back and forth to get it to work. Any suggestions/answers? Thanks for any help. (I know it is not the sensor that is connected to the brakes because the brake lights still come on when I engage the brake to try to get it out of park.)
  • huskerman99huskerman99 Member Posts: 1
    It means your four wheel drive is engaged. Hit the 4x4 button and it will turn off.
  • csouth1csouth1 Member Posts: 1
    My transmission all of a sudden stopped working going down the road. All I have is 4th gear and there was no signs of trouble before this happen. Does anyone know what the problem could be? Could it be my slave cylinder ? All fuids were fine and it had a low whining sound for the past 2 months but no mechanic couldn't find anything wrong.
  • art718art718 Member Posts: 2
    I own a 1998 Isuzu Rodeo, 6 cyl. automatic. I'ts been a great car! Recently it has developed
    a HARD SHIFT problem. It does not happen all the time. Only when I have a little problem starting the car, after i'ts been off for a while. When it starts shifting hard I need to shut the car off then re-start and it will go away. I had the transmission re-built, but the problem is still there. Also the check engine light never comes on.
    Any Sugjestions! Thanks!
  • art718art718 Member Posts: 2
    On a 1998 Isuzu Rodeo 6 cylinder-Automatic

Is the Range Sensor the same as a Nuetral Safety switch? And were is it located?
    also
    Were is the Transmision Mode Switch located?
    Thank You!
  • bahmedbahmed Member Posts: 66
    Yes, Range Sensor the same as a Nuetral Safety switch, it is located on the driver side of the transmission in Auto Transmission. If you get under the truck from the driver side, you will see it installed, there is a removable heat shield on this switch, if you want to see the picture, check out auto zone or oriellyauto website and search for Neutral safety switch. To confirm if this switch is on the saying and need replacement, move you gear selector on all settings P,R,N,D,3,2,1 if the lights dance and/or show incorrect light on the dash and if you are experiencing hard shifting or if the gear selector is on D and the dash light show R or D3,.usually this switch last 60k miles or so, both auto zone and orielllyauto sells them foe around $100. Please note how to install it back, note the dust marks with a permanent marker before removing the existing one, there is a drill bit notch to align as well, but the drill bit needs to be perpendicular to the driveshaft and not parallel tote driveshaft. If you install incorrectly, then it will shift rough.take a closer look at the circular fitting which slides over the shaft and it will make more sense, if you need more details with pictures just google it. Hope this helps.
  • countryboioftxcountryboioftx Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Rodeo that will not go when you put it in Drive with out it being in Winter Drive. What is going on with this thing? It also shifts hard at 2k rpm but I know that is the range sensor mode. I need advice on the transmission not moving in Drive. The Fluid is full I just had it checked by the Lube place. Please if you know anything let me know.
  • rollogicrollogic Member Posts: 1
    Hi there,

I have been experiencing the same problem as you describe with my 95 Honda Passport. I have to manually shift mine and also 4 th gear does not work.

Did you ever figure out what the problem was?
  • bolaobolao Member Posts: 1
    2000 Isuzu rodeo with auto transmission converted to manual, still shows check engine and transmission lights and jerks when cruise light shows.What to do next?
  • bobwoz55bobwoz55 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 98 rodeo 4x4 which had slipping 1st &2nd gears but only when stepping on it....the other day was driving home from work and all of a sudden i heard a grinding noise and lost all power to the wheels..i was able to idle it to saftey...shut the motor off and now all i get is a starter grind....and will not turn over....any ideas?
  • yo_wat_upyo_wat_up Member Posts: 1
    Hi I have a 95 isuzu rodeo and I have a question on my transmission. When you put it in drive frm the get go it wont go but if you put it in L (low gear) it will take off like nothing then change it back into D (drive) it will change gears like nothing. But come to a stop you have to put it back into L too take off. Can anyone help me is it the trans or a sensor. Someone told me that it could be the computer under the drivers side seat but Idk.
  • twatts86twatts86 Member Posts: 1
    My transmission seemed to drop in and out of gear for a little while and now it barely works but still does the same thing. It seems like maybe the range sensor??? Im not sure so any help would be appreciated.
  • getnitdungetnitdun Member Posts: 1
    I have read every post on here and to say I am confused is a big understatement. I purchased a '00 Passport a year ago with 125 K miles . I have driven 17K pretty enjoyable and troublefree miles since buying it. I had to replace the battery. I love this little ute. Or should I say I DID. All of a sudden I am experiencing tranny shifting problems. I am not sure what all the posters who describe "hard shifting" mean by that. What mine is doing is slipping when I give it the gas,and as the gears finally catch the rear end shudders. I was hopeful that it might just be that range sensor many talked of,but they almost always included a mismatchhwith the shifter and the dash indicator. I have none of that going on. I gueas I will drive it until it no longer shifts.I guess my question to the expert mechanics here is whether they recommend cleaning or repairing the range sensor,or start saving my rebuild money. Thanks for your help
  • rojac5rojac5 Member Posts: 1
    Hi - did you work out this problem. I have a similar problem with my 02 4x4 rodeo automatic -- just driving down the road, it stops, have no gears etc
  • dusangdusang Member Posts: 1
    after putting in d on 2000 rodeo i hear growling noise ,jump and jerk . after it is ok . shift like it should . what to doe first ? please help . it has only 97 K miles
  • losingitbyminlosingitbymin Member Posts: 2
    Mine was doin the same thing and now it wont go forward so was wonderin if you ever figured out what was goin on. Only difference is mine is a 02.
  • mandalynnmandalynn Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 isuzu rodeo 3.2. The check transmission light and cruise control light come on at the same time and then the engine stalls or dies and now it only drives in reverse. Please help! Thank you.
  • anjeletteanjelette Member Posts: 2
    Sorry it took me so long to answer your question. It is not fixed, but it has been narrowed down some. I ended up having the tranny checked to make sure it was ok and found out it is an outside wiring issue. so thats a little good news. the wiring harness for this truck is a nightmare though. all those wires and finding the one that is shorting out. It sat in the shop for 3 month's before they figured that part out. I am to the point i have no patience to work on this truck anymore. I have been told replacing the transmission wiring harness would be simpler so i am to the point that is going to be done.
  • tahomas1tahomas1 Member Posts: 1
    does anyone know how to check which transmission I have in my 1992 Isuzu Rodeo before I put the transmission.
  • Cyrix11Cyrix11 Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2012
    Unfortunately, if you are referring to identifying a manual transmission, the only way that I know of is to measure the clutch disc AFTER you pull it. You may be able to find some numbers and then find a place to look it up. I didn't have any luck though. BIG difference in cost between the two clutch assemblies
    (I don't know why it is showing a response to "tahomas1" it is for the cheryl31)
  • phamonsphamons Member Posts: 1
    i am working on a 97 rodeo just bought the nightmare tranny quit on way home from buyer
    ive looked for help and just found more questions so after getting down into it ive found the electrica problems i have changed outside fuse/relay box still no shifting so i went to change
    fluid and filter while under i found more electrical so i replaced transmission harness ive just got my fluid in and ready to go and doing a few more checks i found a electrical repair on driver side
    fender near firewall cut it open and followed badly burnt wires melted together i do not no how t he vehicle will start much less run well anyway im in the middle of this repair tracing wires leads
    to ecm and transmission i hope this will be my final repair i hoope this mite help some iwill come back and post when done with this repair maybe it will b e good news and maybe it wont i just want to let others know how this one repair of the thousands of rodeo problems repairs that are going on
  • goode2shoesgoode2shoes Member Posts: 1
    My son replaced flywheel and clutch plate. He managed to get the transmission back in place using a jack but he has been having fits trying to get the clutch fork installed/seated correctly.

He purchased needle nose plyers with a 45 degree angle but still can not get the clutch fork attached.

Can anyone lead me to transmission installation instructions that explains the proper procedure to get the clutch fork installed?

He is repairing this vehicle to give me so I can go look for a job so any help at all would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!
  • garygaryswaygarygarysway Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2012
    my transmission will not go in any gear,and the engine reves...if i turn off the engine and start it up again,the truck isuzu rodeo sport will move at a slow pace for short distance....is the transmission gone?...is there a sensor?..do you think changing the filter will help.....not very mechanically inclind........plese help......this old man loves that truck so much i have had a little trouble pushing the shift lever button in the past to put the truck in gear..could this have anything to do with the transmission?
  • luv2liv2luvusaluv2liv2luvusa Member Posts: 1
    There is a clip underneath, that goes to your shifter. sounds like it came out.

P.s. Im a girl that is just learning the ropes of whats under the hood, but I did have this happen to my rodeo. :)
  • rodeowindrodeowind Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    Have you had any insight or luck with this trans. problem? I had the same issues happen with my 01 rodeo last winter, and believe it was a combo of electrical and bad tranny. Let me know what worked for you.
    Thanks,
    Rodeowind
  • timt1205timt1205 Member Posts: 2
    Hi i have an 03 rodeo ra lx auto and my trans is playing up it will get stuck in first gear for awhile then go into 2&3rd but not 4th have replaced fluid and speed sensor still no joy can anyone please help me out with this problem?
  • f_and_m_rodeof_and_m_rodeo Member Posts: 4
    When you hit the gas from a stop, the tranny will shudder till you hit 10 to 15 mph. If you ease into the gas, it won't do it at all. It almost feels like the rear tires are slipping on the pavement, but this thing doesn't have that kind of power! Any Ideas?
  • timt1205timt1205 Member Posts: 2
    Sounds like a gear box mount or maybe bearing or uni in tail shaft
  • darth_venomdarth_venom Member Posts: 43
    I know this problem. What is causing your shudder is your carrier bearing. Either yours is in prety bad shape, or it has been replaced but put on backward (yes, it will g together like this). There's a slight offset from center and on the new bearing when you replace it make sure "forward" in small print is facing the front toward transmission and "rear" faces rear. The reason the offset is there is to prevent harmonic vibrations at certain speeds. Likewise, if your bearing is bad it allows the entire driveshaft to "wobble" on takeoff. This happened to me with my 92 4x4 v6 ls rodeo, and when I had bearing replaced repair shop put new one in backwards. Ever since my rodeo shuddered as yours does on takeoff until the new bearing failed after about 9,000 miles. Have your carrier bearing checked. 90% sure by symptoms your describing this is your problem.
  • f_and_m_rodeof_and_m_rodeo Member Posts: 4
    Thank you, sorry for getting back to you so late. Part of it was the carrier bearing. It wasn't the bearing itself, but the rubber grommet the the bearing sits in. It was bad, I had about a half inch of play within the housing. Also, after cleaning the underside of the truck, I noticed that the trans mount was missing a nut. The mount is also bad, as it has about .75 of an inch of play when there should almost none. As soon as I fix it this weekend, the shudder should be fixed!
  • jimmysmith440jimmysmith440 Member Posts: 1
    my 94 rodeo has 1st gear but when it shifts to 2nd it just free revs i was told shift solenoids will fix this but then again might not. is this a common problem and would it be wise to change them and take a chance? im a pretty good mechanic but diagnosing automatic trannys is not my forte
  • swampash089swampash089 Member Posts: 2
    My 2001 Rodeo first started hesitating when I put it into gear. There would be a paused after I put it in D and then...clunk! It would drop into gear. In a few days it started slipping each time I made a turn. Then it started slipping as I drove down straight roads. Now it slips continuously, to the point where it is parked.
    After doing massive research on the 4L60e transmission (it is a GM standard transmission and is on many different types of cars and trucks, Isuzu, Honda, BMW, GM, Ford, etc.), I decided that I wanted to check and see if it is something outside or peripheral to the transmission as the second to last thing I want to do is rebuild a transmission. The last thing I want to do is pay someone to rebuild it for me.
    So today I opened up the speed selector (the gear changing mechanism on the driver's side of the transmission). It was very dirty inside and I though that this must be the reason it was slipping. Test drove it after replacing with a new one ($116 at Autozone). Nope. Same problem. Now I am looking at other components that may be causing the issue. Solenoids, connectors, wiring harness. I already replaced the battery on the car as I read that marginal battery power can cause issues with this particular transmission - no luck there either. I also disconnected the battery and disconnected the PCM, hoping that it would reload the EEPROM once I hooked it back up (in case there was a PCM glitch).
    I have a copy of the 4000+ page Rodeo and Trooper depot maintenance manual for 2000. Lots of info, but light on troubleshooting - mostly "Check pressure level, if too high or too low, rebuild transmission". For obvious cash flow reasons the shop wants the tech to do a rebuild as it is a big ticket item.
    I have read about people taking the Rodeo to the shop and paying $2500+ only to have the same problem and find it is one fo the peripheral parts. I am really hoping that is the case with my current issue.
    By the way - I did find where someone uses a novel approach to filling the transmission fluid on this terribly engineered unit. The install a nylon 3/8 to 1/4 barbed end to MIP to secure their fill tube and prevent backspray when the transmission is filled. Others use the transmission cooling line to both empty and fill the transmission. Remember, the transmission only holds 9 quarts - so no more than that added. Also remember that when filling from the bottom (the most common method), it is a two step process. The first 3 quarts go in, then put the fill plug back in. Run for about 10 mins until engine is hot and tran fluid starts circulating through the cooling system. Remove fill plug and pump in the remaining fluid until filled (fluid back up into the transfer pump (the pump that you bought to transfer the fluid from it's bottle into the transmission). Then reinstall the plug. Should hold a total of 9 quarts.
    More on my saga as it unfolds...
  • asekoraasekora Member Posts: 1
    My mother has a 02 Honda Passport, basically a Rodeo with honda badges and her car had tranny problems as well. What it turned out to be was that there was no fluid in the transmission because the oil pan gasket was leaking. The leaking gasket is actually caused by a serious design flaw. The exhaust runs to close to the transmission pan and dries out the gasket. The dry gasket no longer flexes as the metal expands and contracts and a leak forms. If the designers had any sense they would have included a dip stick for the transmission to make simple problems easier to resolve.

Solution: Purchase a high quality gasket, replace it, and fill the transmission with fluid and as long as there is no serious damage, you'll be good to go.

P.s. This problem, despite a high quality gasket will eventually return. Also, you have to get under the vehicle to fill the transmission, so I suggest you just take it to a shop. Shouldn't be too expensive.
  • mwminceymwmincey Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Isuzu Rodeo with 92,000 miles on it.3 weeks ago I had the tranny fluid and filter changed.Last week the trans light started blinking,stop blinking then blinking again.The trans shifts fine.The Rodeo still as the same amount of power as usual.It is the 4 speed automatic.Can somebody please give me some ideal what might be wrong with it.I do not want to take it to a parts changer and spend money for them to just change alot of parts just guessing.Thanks for any help I can get !